Deadlands OOC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
sweetja713
Daredevil
Daredevil

Re: Deadlands style game now recruiting 3e

Post by sweetja713 »

Gonna have to say no to a time traveler

Demonicuss Krinn
Hireling
Hireling

Post by Demonicuss Krinn »

sweetja713 wrote:Gonna have to say no to a time traveler
Gotcha. I figured he might be too out there, but I had to try. I'll see if I'll get another char idea tomorrow. By the way Sweetja, I replied to your PM.

Demonicuss Krinn
Hireling
Hireling

While I find my old notes/charsheet to port over my carpenter/huckster, here's a Map o' the Weird West for anyone curious.

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Post by Spectrum »

Question for the GM/ more knowledgeable players.

I'm thinking of making a grapple/trip character in the direction of a drunken master.

Close combat:
So a hero might have Close Combat: Swords, but Close Combat: Melee Weapons is too broad. Close Combat: Unarmed is an option, meaning skill with unarmed strikes like punches and kicks. However, this bonus does not apply to other forms of unarmed combat maneuvers, including, but not limited to, grabbing or tripping.
Are grabbing/tripping/disarming/etc. close enough to be considered a single specialty? I really would prefer not to go for close attack advantage levels because of how broad they are.

Also, those functions don't seem to have an equivalent of 'damage' except for maaaaybe affliction with some hefty modifiers. Am I just missing them?

Thanks! Further notes and ideas are coming soon.

Crazyivan777
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Crazyivan777 »

Just as a place-holder: I've pitched a character who's a native shaman and semi-pacifist.

kirinke
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion
Location: Behind the mayo, to the left of the cheese, next to the mystery meat leftover from last week

Post by kirinke »

What I'd do, if you're going to go for a drunken master-melee character, just put the 7 points in Close attack-Advantages. That takes care of everything melee related (weapons, unarmed, grab etc).

CLOSE ATTACK COMBAT, RANKED Page 82 M&M Third Edition
You have a +1 bonus to close attacks checks per rank in this advantage. Your total attack bonus is still limited by power level. This advantage best suits characters with a level of overall close combat skill (armed and unarmed). For capability with For capability with a particular type of attack, use the Close Combat skill.

Associated Melee/Martial Arts type Advantages:
• Boxing: All-out Attack, Defensive Attack, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Power Attack, Takedown.

• Judo: Accurate Attack, Defensive Attack, Improved Disarm, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Trip.

• Kung Fu: Defensive Attack, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Smash, Improved Trip, Instant Up, Power
Attack, Startle.

• Sword-fighting: Accurate Attack, Defensive Attack, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Taunt.

• Wrestling: Chokehold, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack.

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Post by Spectrum »

Honesty Jones, "Laughs Twice at the Wyrm"
Race: Coyote born Nuwisha

Once upon a time, there was a coyote that was playing with his best friends, a hare and a skunk, when he heard a twolegger's rifle boom and his mother fell over.

Once upon a time, a coyote stole a twolegger's clothes and oooh shiny boots and walked into a town and was greatly loved. He kissed the girls.. and then kissed the boys.. and stole all the pie! Mmmm, I like pie.

Once upon a time, a coyote came across a strange boy sitting on a stump that refused to speak with him. The coyote got so angry at the little boy that he huffed and puffed and punched him! And got stuck. Coyote didn't like this much so punched him again! And got more stuck. Well, Coyote might be wiley, but he wasn't very smart so he kept punching until he got totally trapped by the clever trick of a boy made of tar.

Once upon a time, a coyote (a young horribly curious) coyote came across a tall two legger who spoke to him- in coyote! He learned of many wonderful things and that he was a very special coyote- he could turn into a two legger too! Well, this made the young coyote very happy because that meant that he had thumbs. And the reason that the two leggers were powerful was that they had thumbs, and wanted he wanted to be powerful too. But before the man left, coyote was tasked with a difficult task- he would need to lead a life worth telling stories about.

Complications:

Tricking the Trickster: Sometimes the job of a Trickster is to trick, other things.. its to be tricked.

Temptation Itself: Honesty has an odd sense of fun, whether its wooing the unavailable, pulling the leg of the authority, drinking lethal amounts or just basking in admiration, it's very difficult to say no.

Honesty- isn't: Too often real stories just aren't worth telling and need to embellishment. Life is too boring to be otherwise live it up.

Trickster's Laws (p 131-132 of Changing Breeds)
Let a Fool Die a Fool’s Death
Teach Those Who Need Teaching a Proper Lesson
Always Prank the Wyrm
Be Subtle
Respect Luna
Think, Then Act

PL 7, 120 build points
Attributes 36
Saves 16
Abilities 29
Advantages 15
Powers 24
Total 120

Attributes (36 pp)
STR 0
STA 4
AGL 10
DEX 0
FGT 0
INT 0
AWE 4
PRE 0

Saves (14 pp)
Dodge 10
Fort 8
Parry 10
Toughness 4
Will 6

Skills (29)
Acrobatics 14
Close Combat: Grappling 7 (Enhanced, subtle applied)
Deception 17
Persuasion 14
Sleight of Hand 13
Stealth 13

Advantages (15)
Attractive 2 (variable effect 1 "Contrary"), Daze: Deception, Defensive Attack, Fascinate: Deception, Hide In Plain Sight, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, language: Coyote, Luck 3, Redirect, Taunt, Uncanny Dodge,

Powers (24pp )

"Belly crawler" Movement: slithering, trackless (4 pp)

"Form of.. Coyote!" Morph: 1, form: coyote + 1 rank of metamorph (6pp)

"Sneak thief" move object 1, perception range, precise, subtle (5 pp)

"Squirmy" Elongation 1 (normal) + 6 (only for grappling) (4 pp)

Features (4 pp):
"Contrary" Variable descriptor on attractive
"Light as a feather" Subtle on grappling
"Mating call" Mimicry
"Tricky Fella" Use trick as a move action
"Where'd he go?" Immunity entrapment, requires free action, side effect: looses clothing/fur

Name Honesty (Coyote Form)

Pl 7
Points 120

Attributes 22
Saves 23
Abilities 5
Advantages 5
Powers 58
Total 113

Left over 7

Attributes (22 pp)
STR 0
STA 4
AGL 0
DEX 0
FGT 0
INT 0
AWE 7
PRE 0

Saves (23 pp)
Dodge 10
Fort 5
Parry 10
Toughness 4
Will 9

Skills (5 pp)
Perception 17

Advantages (5 pp)
Improved init x2, Luck x3

Powers (58 pp)
"Walking on back legs" Morph: 1 form, man (6 pp)

"Leaping from leaf to leaf" Flight 5, subtle 2, (12 pp)

"Egg thief" concealment (all), blending (10 pp)

"Like water through fingers" insubstantial (liquid), continuous, precise, reaction, subtle 2 (10 pp)

"Stepping sideways" Movement (Dimensional: Umbra) (2 pp)

"Coyote Senses" (18 total)
Senses (Vision: dark, penetrates concealment), dimensional
Senses (smell: accurate, tracking), dimensional
Senses (Hearing: ultra), dimensional
Last edited by Spectrum on Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:20 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Demonicuss Krinn
Hireling
Hireling

And here's character idea No. 2. Hopefully this gets accepted.

Jacob Upham.
Human Male, 27
Traveling Carpenter, Dabbler in Cards, and Huckster.

Years ago, Jacob worked as a carpenter. He did okay in his craft, but part of him yearned for more. One day, as he helped fix a newcomer's barnroof, he saw the man do something that no rational man could explain.

Jacob saw magic. And he knew what he wanted to do.

The gentleman, a retired "disciple of Hoyle" from Deadwood named Franklin Shadix, saw that the lad had the skill for huckstering, and took him on as an apprentice, teaching him the arcane craft. In time, the two became good friends.

Then, one night, as they were practicing their art, something blasted into the house and attacked them. Jacob and Frank fought back with hot lead and hellish hexes, but nothing seemed to stop this hideous thing. When it was all said and done, Jacob lost his left leg, and his good friend.

Now, Jacob stalks the Weird West, earning his pay as a traveling carpenter and playing cards to make extra money. All the while, he's searching for clues, trying to gain insight into the nature of the fiend that killed his friend and took his leg, and vowing to get revenge.

Jacob Upham is a decent looking young man, who walks with a limp. You couldn't tell he was missing a leg at first glance, as his woodworking skills let Jacob craft himself a very impressive wooden leg. I still haven't read up on the MnM3 rules yet, but I think the following DL:C Hindrance can port over into a MnM Complication:

Oath - To track and kill the monster who ripped his leg off and killed Franklin Shadix.

sweetja713
Daredevil
Daredevil

Post by sweetja713 »

Spectrum - Concept looks great, I could see doing a drunken coyote fighting skill that would allow for grabs and the like

krinn - Concept's a go, hit me up with some details about how you see the character and we'll work together on it.

timothy - Can you give me some more info on what dog's goals are?

mark - I may be cutting off recruit monday but as long as you get me a background and goals by tuesday I'll still be more than happy to consider your character. If recruitment goes longer than I would extend your time by a day accordingly

arcaric
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Re: Deadlands style game now recruiting 3e recruitment ends 9/24

Post by arcaric »

I'm writing up an alcoholic journalist who fights with a cane sword and is semi decent with handguns...I haven't really had a chance to take it farther than that yet, but I'll write him up over the weekend. But the idea is for him to be a bit of a fast talker, social skill monkey type.

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Post by Spectrum »

sweetja713 wrote:Spectrum - Concept looks great, I could see doing a drunken coyote fighting skill that would allow for grabs and the like
Thanks! Now I just need to add complications (already most of them in mind) and figure out the mechanics (a part I usually dread).

timothy
Zealot
Zealot

Post by timothy »

The dog, although smart, is just a dog. His goals are quite simple - find food, bite bad things, please humans, etc.

I can see him picking one of the other PCs as "master", but he doesn't have much in terms of long term thinking.

Ol' Fitz, otoh, probably has an agenda. I could see him looking for a means to escape the dog and get a new body of his own. Maybe he's been put in the dog as punishment for his hateful ways and general crimes against nature or maybe he's supposed to learn a lesson about being a better person, but either way - he wants out.

I definitely see him as bring a bad guy. He wouldn't get the dog killed (unless there was a new body for him at hand), but he wouldn't go out of his way to pee on any of the others if they were on fire.

Up to you how he might find a new body - but he would definitely be looking and plotting.
Last edited by timothy on Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Here comes the Dog!
Stong and brave!
Here comes the Dog!
The day he will save!

Crazyivan777
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Crazyivan777 »

Dependent on who else might make a good fit, my native, Wanekia, could have a dog companion. Of course, she speaks to / sees spirits all the time, so if you're shooting for Fitz being more of a secret, it might be best if the dog were accompanying someone else.

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Post by Spectrum »

*boing boing boing* What about me?! What about me?!

timothy
Zealot
Zealot

Post by timothy »

I'm not sure that he'd start out with any such relationship. It would, preferably, develop during the course of play.

I'm not sure how "visible" Fitz would be, even to a sensitive. He exists inside the dog after all. There might be something about the dog's aura - but keep in mind that the dog, too, has been touched by the supernatural and probably has a fairly unique aura just by himself...

All of this is, of course, dependent on his being chosen as a PC...
Here comes the Dog!
Stong and brave!
Here comes the Dog!
The day he will save!