NEW VINDICATORS #15: Deport (IC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: NEW VINDICATORS #9: Check (IC)

Post by flynnarrel » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:11 pm

Fluxx

Martin was shoved back in to his own body, noting mildly that it had shifted to be the 'apple-jello' form experienced in the dreamscape. Not bothering to change, he immediately set to work. His hands spread to form paper-thin webbing over Jason's head and neck to search for the scar tissue of the insertion point.

He then coalesced around that point, parting the skin with careful corrosions and insertind a thin tendril to follow the path of the device's subcranial operation. Martin contained the blood until his hands were pink-tinged creeping past the wrists toward the elbows.

When he finally found the device he surrounded it, breaking it down in much the same way as he'd do to a cell phone to 'store' it - a trick garnered from his lacuna-possessed sister and withdrew, closing the wounds behind his passage, squeezing the blood back in to Jason's head until his body resumed its 'normal' golden hues.

With that done he sets the device into a metal pan nearby, intact and clean.

At this point he regards the news.

"Where are ze Vindicators?" He asks anyone around not recently in the head of a precoscious, self-defeating pedagogue.

McGuffin
Paragon
Paragon

Post by McGuffin » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:37 pm

Ursa
[Otso Karell]
HP: 14

Otso blinked in surprise as he was jerked back to his own body in the school's infirmary. He was only dimly aware of the removal of the 'thing' in Jason's head that had apparently caused all this. His attention was focused on the news report on the tv.

Laputa. They'd brought so much misery and bloodshed to this school, to his home. Who knew what they'd do to Vienna if they were left to run unchecked? The Finn was barely even conscious of his shift into his ursine form, his voice a low growl as he spoke. "Like I said before. Lets get this nightmare over with."
McGuffin's Workshop: Warp, Naga

Why crawl when you can walk? Why walk when you can run? Why run when you can fly?

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

NEW VINDICATORS #10: Checkmate (IC)

Post by Michuru81 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:46 pm

NEW VINDICATORS ACADEMY OF EUROPE #10: Checkmate

NEW VINDICATORS ACADEMY OF EUROPE--9:23 P.M., Friday, October 24, 2008 (Everyone)
When a team of New Vindicators volunteered to telepathically delve into their classmate’s subconscious, the dance was officially over. Lex Murphy, Martin Curie, Jack Rexroth, Emily Adler, Otso Karell, and Kas Flaegler laid down in the beds that inhabited the infirmary, closed their eyes, and slipped into unconsciousness.

Try as much as the others may have to continue the dance, it was hard to celebrate with six of their friends in coma-like states.

Some stayed close at hand: Eve stood by her date’s beside, while Doug and Gaspar planted themselves as sentries beside Lex. Kirstie pulled a stool over and sat down on the American’s other side, grinning at him. “You’re not going anywhere,” she whispered to him, taking his hand in both of hers. “You’re staying right here… with me…”

Not far off, Beatrice stood over Otso, sobbing softly. With a very tenuous grasp of the English language, she wasn’t exactly privy to what was going on, and simply had to read the other’s mood. Larrikin slipped in beside the French girl. He put an arm on her back and patted Otso’s chest softly, smiling at her and nodding in an attempt to calm her. “Hey,” he called across the room, “does anyone speak French? Someone needs to tell her that he’s going to be fine…”

As Doctor Fischer made her way to Otso’s bed, she passed through Elfriede’s field of vision. The young Austrian girl was hardly at ease: she hadn’t known Jack long enough to warrant the level of affection Eve, Kirstie and Beatrice showed, but simply couldn’t turn her back on him either. Awkwardly, she hovered near him, trying her best to stay out of everyone else’s way.

Mary, however, had no such reservations. The Scandinavian girl elected to climb into bed beside Martin’s slumbering form, occasionally delivering faint, lingering pecks on his cheek. They were displays of affection noticed by Tatjana, who had followed Emily and Kirstie down to the school’s sublevels when the Esper had been summoned.

While most were more involved with those lying unconscious in the beds, Gaspar had noticed the hurt look on Tatjana’s face. He had seen that look before: it was how she looked after she had become convinced of his infidelity. He excused himself to Doug and made his way across the room, towards his ex-girlfriend. “Are you okay?” he asked her quietly.

“No,” she said weakly, fighting back the urge to cry.

“Yeah,” he said uneasily, “I know…”

Though the blue-haired boy had tried to block the sight of Martin and Mary, Tatjana looked over his shoulder at the pair. “He moved on pretty quick, huh?”

Gaspar shook his head. “I don’t think they’re really an item,” he said. Realizing that it was no use trying to block the sight of them, he moved to stand by the German girl. “I actually haven’t seen them together before tonight. She’s just… affectionate, I guess.”

Tatjana forced a wavering smile. “She’s pretty.”

Gaspar shrugged. “If you’re into that, I guess.”

“Who wouldn’t be?”

Gaspar looked at her with a level gaze. “Me,” he said.

Tatjana turned and looked him. At first, she wore a confused expression on her face; that melted away, leaving only a considering look in its wake. She turned her head then and gaze Martin the same look. “I… should see how Emily’s doing,” she said.

Gaspar said nothing as she slipped past him. He simply reached out and took her hand in his. For a moment, she froze… and then she kept walking. Her fingers slipped from his gentle grasp.

She made her way past Ellen and Astrid, who had joined Elfriede to watching over Jack and Kas, respectively. She strode up to Emily’s bedside, only to find Juozas already by it. The two looked up, read the hurt in each other’s eyes, and then looked down on Emily in silence.

Out of her league where psychic possession was concerned, Doctor Talley did her best to stay on top of the situation: the students were hooked up to machines that monitored their vitals.

Unnerving silence hovered over them all, threatening to smother them without a moment’s hesitation, when the headmistress’ cell phone began to ring.

Doctor Fisher fumbled to produce her phone and, in an attempt to restore the somber mood, hastily answered the device. “Yes?” she said softly. She listened for a moment. Her eyes slowly widened. She rose up from the chair she had taken and moved to the small television set suspended from the ceiling.

She did not have to search out any particular channel: all of the stations were broadcasting the same, nightmarish footage: <<“-just moments ago, an island descended out of the clouds and proceeded to hover in place over Vienna,”>> the newscaster was saying.

For several tense minutes, the room watched the footage. Doctor Fischer left the room, still receiving phone call after phone call. Elfried took a call from her mother—who insisted she stay with the Vindicators, “where it was safe.” Several minutes later, the headmistress’ voice cut across the intercoms, commanding all students, faculty and staff to gather in the Wreck Room.

Even the infirmary was evacuated. Doctor Talley remained with her patients, and while some—Ellen, Doug, Juozas, and Larrikin—were content to leave, others refused to go… Not so long as their friends were fighting to save Jason’s subconscious. Ultimately, it took Doctor Fisher’s return to the infirmary to chase them out, herding them to the Wreck Room where several others already were.

“As you’re all aware at this point,” the headmistress explained, “this last year, we have come into conflict with a group known as Laputa on more than one occasion. Less than an hour ago, an island appeared in the sky over Vienna. It is believed that this is Laputa’s base of operations. Further, it is anticipated that they intend to launch an attack of some sort. Whether this attack will target us our city is unknown at this point.

“What we do know is that during a crisis such as this, the Wreck Room is the safest place in the school. This chamber effectively doubles as a bomb shelter. Rest assured, we are doing everything we can to ensure that none of you are harmed. The Vindicators have already been deployed to deal with this.”

The Wreck Room was configured to include a screen to project the current events unfolding outside and above them. Sitting on the floor of the chamber, the students and staff of the school watched as the camera tried to zoom in on a small speck in the sky. Supposed carrying one of the Vindicators, the Saab 105 rose into the air, gaining altitude. Flanked by a company of Eurofighter Typhoons, the jet’s lone mission was to provide Quintessence with an eagle’s eye view of the island. Once he saw where they would be going, he could easily open a portal through time and space that his teammates could use for rapid deployment…

The students watched in horror as the jets began to spiral out of control. One of the Typhoons crashed into the side of the island while the Saab 105 veered towards the Danube. With a press of a button, the pilots of the Typhoons surrendered to the Flight Control System; while the jet was able to stabilize itself, landing on Laputa was out of the question.

Doctor Fisher tensed at the realization that panic was beginning to settle over the school’s constituency. Several of the students were crying, fearing that they were about to share in Alina’s fate.
Michuru81 wrote:Sorry to break the narrative flow, but now is a great time for music to start playing. (Thanks, Arky!)
Eve rose up and began to stride towards the doors. “Miss Robbins,” Doctor Fisher said, “it’s for the best that-”

“We need to wake them up,” she said, her voice full of conviction. “Jay and the others have dealt with these people more than anyone else.”

Doctor Fisher said nothing more: she let Eve return to the infirmary, intent to awaken their slumbering classmates in this hour of need.

Several other students made their way past the headmistress as well. “Doctor Talley doesn’t need all of you,” she said.

“We’re not going to the infirmary,” Kirstie said. “We’re going to go get changed.”

“We can’t just stay down here and hide,” Gaspar intoned, walking beside Buddy and Mario.

Cornelis helped Randy to stand up and, together, the two boys followed Dag and Juozas towards the boy’s locker room. Hand-in-hand, Viktor and Mira made their way to join their friends. Ellen walked in the couple’s wake.

Tatjana didn’t slow as she made her way to the girl’s locker room. “I don’t know what all we can do, but we have to do something.”

NVA: INFIRMARY (Everybody)
Eve walked into the room, and the young heroes awakened from their collective stupor. Only Jason still remained comatose. “Jason?” she asked, rushing towards him.

Martin immediately went to work on finding and removing the device—doing exactly what the American had told him. “Jason!?!” Eve cried.

Jason’s eyes opened as Martin healed the incision sight. Without knowing whether it was Jason or Eddy at the helm, Even lunged in, wrapped her arms around her countryman and held him tight—perhaps a little too tight.

Looking over her shoulder, Jason could make out what his teammates were so entranced by: the news showed an island, floating high above Vienna. The Air Surveillance Command had been dispatched to answer the implied threat, and had been swatted down without a single shot being fired.

“I’ve got you now, you sons of bitches!” Lex hissed.

For once, he and Jack seemed to be of similar minds: “Who’s onboard for raiding the flying island?” Jason’s step-brother asked.

“Ja,” Kas said softly, “just wait until I get changed into my uniform before you go charging off.”

“Like I said before,” growled Otso, “let’s get this nightmare over with.”

Emily stood, watching the events unfold in relative silence. Martin looked from her to Doctor Talley. “Where are ze Vindicators?” he asked.

“Where exactly?” the physician asked. “I’m not entirely sure. I know Quintessence was supposed to ride up with one of those jets—get a look at the ground so he could ‘port the whole team there. Soon as the ships got too high though, chaos broke out…”

The doors of the infirmary opened: Isaac and Anne Newton stepped into the room. “Photosensitive epilepsy,” the former headmaster intoned. “It’s a phenomena where visual stimuli trigger seizures. I’ve heard the whispers of the dead: the island fortress is designed so that viewing it any angle other than below will induce such an effect.

“It’s likely that no one can safely look on the island. Quintessence won’t be able to teleport there, and landing an aircraft on it will be next to impossible…”
OUBLIETTE - NVAE: IC | OOC

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:23 pm

Alex "Current" Murphy
HP: 7 CND: Normal

Lex laughs a hateful little chuckle.

"Impossible?" A vicious smile spreading across his face as he 'saw' the flaw in their plan, "So long as we got Kas, they're screwed. No eyes, no problem."

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: NEW VINDICATORS #10: Checkmate (IC)

Post by Tattooedman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:38 pm

Greystone:
[Jack Rexroth]
HP: 11

"I learned about that design feature of Laputna's flying island a little while ago and I've been working on ways to beat it; I can alter my senses to see like a bat, no visual input required. Plus I think I've got an idea on how to disable it so that the Vindicators can land on the island." Jack smiles as he shares the idea he'd come up with in the last week of pouring over the information he'd gained from his father and the contents of Vlad's suitcase. "I was thinking that I could carry Viktor onto the island and let him smash his way through parts of the buildings on it. After so many structures go down that photosensitive epilepsy shouldn't work anymore."
Last edited by Tattooedman on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
World of Freedom Setting 3E

"Your ignorance is not my burden."
-- Chiun

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by flynnarrel » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:33 am

Fluxx

"And I can navigate by chemical signature, not vision. I am razer slow in ze air zough. It would take an amount of time. But if Jack possesses ze strengz, I could be a coat 'e wears to keep ze 'ands free to carry anozer."

"And be careful of collapsing buildings, Jack, our intelligence was zat zey 'old 'ostages in random buildings just to counter zat tactic."
He ponders for a moment.

"But ze Australian boy can monochromatize everyzing, yes? Would zat be of assistance?"

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by Michuru81 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:25 am

Martin's warning stirred a memory in Jack: in Kaiserslautern, agents of Lacuna had set a trap... A mound of chairs with an innocent civilian in the middle. The instant the heroes acted on impulse, and moved a chair aside, they tripped the explosive... It was one of their favorite tactics: set a trap so that impulse resulted in the death of a hostage.

The Frenchman's words evoked thoughts in others as well: Emily knew that Laputa had her parents--that they were hostages aboard that island; Lex knew his mother was there as well.

"That's all well and good," Newton said, "but can you carry a small army while navigating like this? Kas, Jack and Martin can get there, but how do we get the Vindicators there? How do we get Lex, Otso, and Anne there?"
Michuru81 wrote:Hero point to Martin for pointing out what I was about to remind Lex of; hero point to Jack for the complication of what happened in K-Town; hero point to Lex and Emily for having parents who were taken hostage.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:02 am

Alex "Current" Murphy
HP: 8 CND: Normal

"Seriously? Always with you it cannot be done," Lex's annoyance flares, "Okay, how's about this? Kas flys Mister Anders up there. Boom, we're in. Or if he's not around we get ask Kas to carry a bunch of us, Jack can grow some bigger wings and carry two, I'm sure Martin can do his blimp thing and be pulled along with a rope by the other two. Or we just take a helicopter from the UN or the military or something, get Martin to make the glass into something that doesn't let light through and..."

He pauses to look over his shoulder at Jason, "Hey, Jason, think you could land a helicopter using only instrumentation and verbal cues from two blind men?"

Lex snaps his fingers, "Oh, I got it. Fiore. Giant beanstalk. What? Too out there? I don't care if it's stupid. If I have to fire myself out of a cannon, I'm going up there!"

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by Michuru81 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:27 am

Newton smirked at the American. "I'm not saying it can't be done: I'm saying we'll need to think. Unless Jack or Kas or Martin can fly a plane, transporting our forces could be a challenge."

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Tattooedman » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:25 am

Greystone:
[Jack Rexroth]
HP: 12

Fluxx wrote:"And I can navigate by chemical signature, not vision. I am razer slow in ze air zough. It would take an amount of time. But if Jack possesses ze strengz, I could be a coat 'e wears to keep ze 'ands free to carry anozer."

"And be careful of collapsing buildings, Jack, our intelligence was zat zey 'old 'ostages in random buildings just to counter zat tactic."
He ponders for a moment.

"But ze Australian boy can monochromatize everyzing, yes? Would zat be of assistance?"
Jack held back a sigh, why was it Martin who poked holes in everyone else's ideas? "I was only talking about Viktor smashing through a small area, besides monochromatizing it would still let the pattern be seen. Larkin would have to white it out completely to neutralize it."
Michuru81 wrote:Newton smirked at the American. "I'm not saying it can't be done: I'm saying we'll need to think. Unless Jack or Kas or Martin can fly a plane, transporting our forces could be a challenge."
The American considered the options of the former Headmaster's suggestion. "Emily, could you share someone else's knowledge with me and Kas? Jason and Viktor have both had lessons on flying the school's plane, if you could transplant that to us that might work. Or failing that maybe do a brain link that would let us use their knowledge?"

-- Chiun

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by flynnarrel » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:35 am

Fluxx
hp 11 (I zink)

"My sister is zere, Jack. And she 'as demonstrated no maleability like myself and my mozer. I'm uncertain she could survive a building collapsing on 'er, and when 'as Viktor ever detroyed just a 'small area'?" the Frenchman questions.

"Now, do you truly not zink Larriken changing the lights from translucent to black will interrupt zeir light technology?"

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:04 pm

Magnitude
Kasimir Flaegler
Condition: Go team Vindicators!
HP 5

Kas flew back into the room pulling on the last of his uniform, his helmet floating behind him in the air. "What are we talking about?"

After getting a quick summary of the problem facing the team he shrugged. "If Jack can fly air support and Larrikin can use his powers to somewhat cloak our approach, I should be able to carry most of the team. The most weight I've flown with in the wreck room is three tonnes, though I might be able to push it to lift more. The problem is, I'm not real maneuverable carrying that much weight and my flight speed is reduced to around 350kph. Another option could be having Gaspar whip up a decent rain shower. A strong enough downpour should disrupt this light effect, should it not?"

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Tattooedman » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:04 pm

Greystone:
[Jack Rexroth]
HP: 12

Fluxx wrote:"My sister is zere, Jack. And she 'as demonstrated no maleability like myself and my mozer. I'm uncertain she could survive a building collapsing on 'er, and when 'as Viktor ever detroyed just a 'small area'?" the Frenchman questions.
"You weren't part of that mission we went on that ended up raiding Jhiad's hidden base, I've seen Vik keep it limited. But fine I'll drop the idea."
Fluxx wrote:"Now, do you truly not zink Larriken changing the lights from translucent to black will interrupt zeir light technology?"
"That's the thing, it's not technology. Dale told me the effect is caused by the way the buildings on the island have been designed by Erudite it's how it's all put together that's causing the seizure reaction. Larrikin would have to blank out a large section of the buildings themselves to counter it."

-- Chiun

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arthur Eld » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:16 pm

Jason Lamperouge/Prodigy

Jason slowly sat up in the bed, returning Eve's hug. "You're hurting me a little, Ms. Robbins." He whispered. She was so strong, sometimes she forget herself.

"I've never flown a helicopter before, but I probably could. But if we can get just one person up there, I won't need to see to fly a plane. I can most likely rig up something to detect the signal put out by one of the communicators our uniforms have. Then I can fly myself and everyone else who wants to go up there."

He thought about what Danny had said about this being his fault, and considered he might very well be right. Only an idiot would think otherwise-it was Jason who had exposed his mother's affair, and pushed her away from the family by doing so. If he had kept his mouth shut, she most likely never would have left, never would have become Erudite. He had known that for months-since before he knew about Laputa or Erudite really. Jason had always felt guilty about what he'd done, but that didn't matter. Stopping Laputa was far more important than pointing blame.

He groaned, closing his eyes. He felt strange-he hadn't felt like himself for months now. Being whole again was like seeing with new eyes.

"My sister is up there, I have to go rescue her. My mother as well, if she can still be rescued. If not..." He stopped talking, the possibility still too frightening too consider. As a boy who had learned far more than most ever did in their life times, he knew that there was some knowledge, some thoughts, too ghastly to consider for long.

Jason ran a hand along his pentacle's chain. "Mr. Manuel can help me create a tracking program to install on one of the jets."

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by Michuru81 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:20 pm

Emily shook her head. "Except how many times have we been in the field, and Laputa has something set up to block our signals?

"Maybe Jack's right: I linked everyone inside of Jason's mind, right? Maybe I can telepathically link Jay and Kas. If Kas could fly a plane, we wouldn't have any problems, right?"