Crinoverse: Bay City Sentinels (OOC thread)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Crinoverse: Bay City Sentinels (OOC thread)

Post by Kreuzritter » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:23 am

While one of the most celebrated locales in the world, the San Francisco Bay Area has seen more than its share of troubles over the past year. First came The Big One, a massive earthquake which levelled much of both San Francisco and Oakland. Then those ruins became the American beachhead during The Invasion. Between these events, the only way to rebuild was an unimaginable political gamble, where the counties of San Francisco, Oakland and the Peninsula agreed to incorporate into Bay City, a singular political entity that would streamline the red tape, relief efforts and much needed reconstruction.

3 months later, Bay City was steadily rising from the rubble like a mighty metropolitan phoenix, ready to once again be the shining jewel of the western shore, ready to face whatever came its way.

And what came was The Proprietor.

Nobody knows who or what he was, only that he wielded immeasurable, godlike powers, first demonstrated when he forced a new Island to arise from the middle of the San Francisco bay, declaring it the capital of his new empire, and granting those under him with superhuman powers. A foe too great for any one hero, the Proprietor was opposed by the heroes of not only bay City, but those of Los Dios and even far off Emerald City. But in the end, the Proprietor was defeated and destroyed, consumed by his own chaotic energies. The Bay City Sentinels gave their lives that day to contain the resulting explosion, which unchecked could have shattered the Earth itself.

But while they saved the world, the fates of countless lives would be forever changed. Instead of a world shattering explosion, the cosmic power surged out as an Energy wave, an event now remembered as The Wildstrike, which caused disasters both major and minor across the globe. But then there were those touched and deemed 'worthy' by those same energies, who suddenly gained superhuman powers, or had their existing powers altered or amplified. But like the Wild Card Virus of the 20th century, the Wildstrike's gifts were equally cruel, and many of these new metamen were twisted into inhuman forms.

Today, 3 months Later, The dust has finally settled, and Bay City stands tall and proud once more, but behind those gleaming towers is a festering rot. the more monstrous Wildstrikers and Jokers are forced to live in the shadows and underground, either in sewers, or mysterious caverns and under-ruins beneath the city itself. Understandably, much of Bay City's population doesn't think too highly of Aliens either, giving fertile ground for human supremacist groups such as SHOCK. When the metropolis of Bay City was rebuilt, several supercriminal organizations, such as VIPER, leapt at the opportunity to sneak their operations into the infrastructure. Worse yet, the Wildstrike has stirred the Oakland Hellmouth, which has manifested as a terrible Pit, and its dark power already draws supernatural evils down upon Bay City. Even with the reconstruction, there's just enough Chaos for many supercriminals to seek opportunity, enough to run the city's extant heroes ragged.

Bay City needs heroes now more than ever, but who will answer the call?

[---]

With the success of Truckin' Titans behind me, its time to set my sights a little bigger, wth an actual, hopefully ongoing campaign. As the title suggests, you will be the new members of the Bay City Sentinels, to take up the cast torch from the failing hands of your predecessors

I'm looking for 6, maybe 7 players, PL10, 150 points, and I've decided that this will be a 3rd edition game, so I'm going to be learning its GM-ing rules alongside you. tone is going to trend towards classic 4 color heroics. Tradeoffs are permitted, with a max cap of +3/-3

for those of you who have never played in the crinoverse, or have but need a refresher course, please consult the setting threads here and here

as its the holiday season, we won't get fully underway until sometime around new year's, so don't feel pressed for time

EDIT: and we have our cast, presenting...

Cryo (enigmaticon) - cold controlling ex-'god'
Stargirl (yeoman) - Newly activated super-robot
Draco (tatooedman) - formerly vanguard, now an amnesiac dragon-man
Afterthought (crinos) - heroic mind flayer in disguise
Ned the Destroyer (stavaros the arcane) - chosen champion of an insane deity
Wild (silvercatmoonpaw) - mysterious shapeshifting catgirl

and, those who joined, but are no longer in the game
Steel Blue (badpenny) - dimensionaly displaced battlesuit wearer
Jammer (Omega girl) - kinetic controlling rollergrrl

and retired characters
Atom Lass (yeoman) - miniscule alien gadgeteer
Last edited by Kreuzritter on Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:28 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Kreuz Control Promotions: over 2800 builds served, and counting...
Crinoverse: Contributions

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Crinoverse: Bay City Sentinels (recruitment)

Post by EnigmaticOne » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:45 am

Well, you already know about Cryo, my ex-Pantheon ice controlling nova.
Impeach the peach!

Yeoman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Yeoman » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:45 am

Yo!

My first question is, my original idea for this was an older Rachel from Truckin' Titans. Would that be okay, or would you prefer a different concept?

Edit: And Enigmatic One, were you still planning on Submitting to the cosmic campaign? I know you seemed excited about it starting. I'm still accepting submissions for another week or so.

Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by Plan B » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:06 am

Considering a super intelligent powerhouse called "Doc Dino"

Doc DinoAka Dr Allan Jolson

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 12, STAMINA 12, AGILITY 1, DEXTERITY 0, FIGHTING 8, INTELLECT 8, AWARENESS 3, PRESENCE 0

SKILLS: Expertise [Earth Sciences] 4 (+12), Insight 2(+5), Intimidation 8 (+10/+12) [Startle], Perception 4 (+7), Persuasion 4, , Stealth (+1/-3), Technology 8 (+16) [Inventor], Treatment 8 (+16)

ADVANTAGES: All-Out Attack, Diehard, Equipment (4), Inventor, Improved Critical 2(unarmed), Improved Grab,Jack of all trades, Power Attack, Startle

POWERS:
Dinosaurus Size: Growth 4 (+4 Str, +4 Sta, -2 Dodge/Parry, -4 Stealth, +2 Intimidation, Speed +0, +4 Mass; Extra: Innate, Permanent); 9 pts
Tail: Extra Limbs 1 (Tail); 1 pt
Claws and Fangs: Feature (Doc Dino can cause piercing damage with unarmed attacks) 1pts
Regenerate: 5 5pts

Jetpack: Flight 5 (removeable) 8pts

EQUIPMENT:
(20ep)
20ep for HQ, Science/Lab Equipment

OFFENSE:
Initiative +1

Unarmed +8 [Unarmed +12]
Ranged Attack

DEFENSES:
Dodge +8 [DC18] Parry +8 [DC18]
Toughness +12 , Fortitude +12, Will +8

Abilities 74 + Skills 20 (40 ranks) + Advantages 13 + Powers 24 + Defenses 17 = 146/ 150

COMPLICATIONS:
Monstrous Appearance: Doc Dino cannot blend into normal society in his giant humanoid dinosaur form

Cold Blooded: Cold tempratures make Doc Dino Sluggish

Background to follow.

Prior to the Wildstrike, Dr Jolson life was normal, well as normal as any other doctor in a major city filled with monsters, superhumans and aliens. When the Wildstrike hit it transformed the him to a giant green reptilian creature since then he's using both his skills and powers to help re-build both the city and peoples lives.
Last edited by Plan B on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
  • Insert witty comment here.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arthur Eld » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:47 am

Not sure what I want to play for this. I want to try something a little different from my past Crinoverse PCs.

I'll have to think about it, but I should have a build up late tonight.

SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by SilvercatMoonpaw » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:51 am

I think I would like to know a bit more about what sort of adventures the characters are expected to get up to.

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EnigmaticOne » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:52 am

Yeoman wrote:Edit: And Enigmatic One, were you still planning on Submitting to the cosmic campaign? I know you seemed excited about it starting. I'm still accepting submissions for another week or so.
There's a multitude of submissions, and best that I let the new blood get a better shot at this. I'm going to stick with submitting here. :)
Impeach the peach!

Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Kreuzritter » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:13 am

SilvercatMoonpaw wrote:I think I would like to know a bit more about what sort of adventures the characters are expected to get up to.
well, given my success with it so far, my adventures are going to draw from the various supers gaming modules i've collected over the years, so there's no grand overplot aside from Crinos saying he might use the Scions of Caine in his Avengers Academy game.

so, expect anything from "investigate goings on at benefit concert" to "fighting snake-men in the caverns of Mars"

Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Crinos » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:48 am

Give me some time to think on it, I'll see what I can come up with for a PC.

What state is bay city in anyway?

Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Kreuzritter » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:51 am

California, considering it used to be the San Francisco bay area before the earthquake, Invasion and Proprietor were done with it

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Steel Blue

Post by badpenny » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:00 pm

Art by taghuso

Quote: "Sometimes the best man for the job isn't."
Power Level: 10
Concept: Displaced Female Battlesuit
Legal Status: Illegal alien; Citizen of Amerigo with no criminal record
Identity: Secret
Place of Birth: Verona, District of Columbus, Amerigo
Marital Status: Single
Living Relatives: Adolfo (father)
Height: 5 ft. 8 in.
Weight: 130 lbs.
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Black

Steel Blue - PL 10

Strength 0, Stamina 1, Agility 0, Dexterity 1, Fighting 0, Intellect 9, Awareness 4, Presence 0

Advantages
All-out Attack, Eidetic Memory, Improvised Tools, Inventor, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged, Concealment), Precise Attack (Ranged, Cover), Skill Mastery: Expertise: Science, Skill Mastery: Technology, Speed of Thought, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
Expertise: Medicine 1 (+10), Expertise: Science 6 (+15), Insight 4 (+8), Investigation 1 (+10), Perception 6 (+10), Ranged Combat: Armament Array 5 (+6), Technology 6 (+15), Treatment 1 (+10)

Powers
Armament Array (Removable, -6 points)
. . Force Burst: Ranged Burst Area Damage 8 (Extras: Accurate: +2, Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, Increased Range: ranged) · 25 points
. . Force Constructs: Create 8 (Volume: 250 cft.; Extras: Impervious, Subtle: [transparent] DC 20) · 1 point
. . Kinetic Force Bolt: Ranged Damage 12 (Extras: Accurate: +2, Increased Range: ranged) · 1 point
. . Stunning Force Bolt: Ranged Affliction 12 (1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Stunned, 3rd degree: Incapacitated; Resisted and Overcome by Fortitude; Extras: Accurate: +2, Increased Range: ranged) · 1 point
. . Tractor Beam: Move Object 12 (100 tons; Extra: Accurate: +2) · 1 point

Bio-plastic Nanites
. . Enhanced Defense 5 (Fortitude +5 (+6)) · 5 points
. . Protection 2 · 2 points
. . Regeneration 2 (Every 5 Rounds out of Armor) · 2 points

Bio-plastic/DuraSteel Shell (Removable, -15 points)
. . Armor
. . . . Enhanced Defense 4 (Fortitude +4 (+10)) · 4 points
. . . . Protection 7 · 7 points
. . Bio-plastic Nanites: Regeneration 3 (Every 2 rounds in Armor; Extra: Stacks with Regeneration 2) · 3 points
. . Cybernetic Interface (Advantages: All-out Attack, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged, Concealment), Precise Attack (Ranged, Cover), Uncanny Dodge) · 5 points
. . . . Enhanced Defense 16 (Dodge +8 (+10), Parry +8 (+10)) · 16 points
. . . . Mind Shield: Enhanced Defense 5 (Will +5 (+10); Extra: Impervious; Flaw: Limited to Mental effects) · 5 points
. . Features 2 (PA System, Voice Modulator; Advantage: Improvised Tools) · 3 points
. . Force Propulsion: Flight 7 (Speed: 250 miles/hour, 0.5 miles/round) · 14 points
. . Sensor Suite: Variable 1 (Flaw: Limited to Senses) · 6 points
. . Sealed Environment: Immunity 10 (Life Support) · 10 points
. . Sensory Shielding: Immunity 5 (Sensory Affliction Effects; Flaw: Limited - Half Effect) · 3 points

Polymath: Quickness 4 (Perform routine tasks in -4 time ranks, Advantage: Eidetic Memory; Flaw: Limited to One Type: mental tasks) · 3 points

Variable Power Settings (All 5 points)
C S I (Senses 5: Analytical Vision [type], Microscopic 2, Ultravision)
Chemical Analysis (Senses 5: Detect Chemical Composition (Acute, Analytical, Ranged, Rapid))
Radar (Senses 5: Radio (Accurate, Extended 2))

Offense
Initiative +9
Force Burst: Burst Area Damage 8 (DC 23)
Kinetic Force Bolt: Damage 12, +8 (DC 27)
Stunning Force Bolt: Affliction 12, +8 (DC Fort 22)
Tractor Beam: Move Object 12, +8 (DC 22)

Complications
Identity: Catarina Bruzzano

Motivation: Responsibility: Catarina feels that she should use her God-given gifts for the betterment of society.

Quirk: Woman out of time: Catarina is from an alternate dimension with a radically different time line.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 10/2, Parry 10/2, Fortitude 10/6, Toughness 10/3, Will 10/5

Power Points
Abilities 30 + Powers 96 + Advantages 4 + Skills 15 (30 ranks) + Defenses 5 = 150

Background: Catarina Bruzzano grew up in Verona, DC the sole daughter of Alfonso Bruzzano, a noted scientist and philanthropist. Catarina was expected to be a quiet, dutiful daughter, and at sixteen to be married off after her debut in society. Catarina would have none of this. In her reality, the Renaissance came hundreds of years earlier and Italian culture and influence dominated the world.

She was just as accomplished as her father in matters of science and medicine, and when her father was to debut his law enforcement droids for the elders in the City, and his AI design continued to malfunction, Catarina donned her own battlesuit design and debuted as one of her father's creations. The suit that she had created was made of bleeding edge bio-plastics and with her repeated donning of the armor, the bio-plastic nanites had infiltrated her system and had begun to reprogram her body, making her tougher and giving her body a heightened ability to repair itself.

After saving her father from disgrace, she revealed herself to her father who was neither surprised by his daughter's genius, nor her pluck to do so. The elders had naturally been impressed by the performance of the suit, and signaled their intention to purchase. This, however, put Catarina's father in a difficult situation: he'd still have to produce a working AI. Catarina worked with her father to meet the delivery deadline.

Catarina had developed a taste for flying and using the battlesuit. In a fight with a gravity-manipulating villain named Solar Wing, Catarina was caught in an artificial event horizon and flung into an alternate dimension.

Displaced in this alternate reality, Catarina struggles to find a place for her mind and her battlesuit.

Yeoman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Yeoman » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:00 pm

Is there any objection to using an older Rachel? There's a bit I'd like to explore there, but I also totally understand if you'd prefer not to have a character with previous game baggage.

Power-wise I was going for a magic user, Rachel having long since lost Eternal Hope 20 years prior.

On the other hand, I've also got an idea for an Imskian trapped on Earth after the Invasion...

Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Kreuzritter » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:03 pm

I'll let you stat up both yeo, let you see which idea you like better.

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EnigmaticOne » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:08 pm

Cryo

Cryo is a controversial figure, no doubt. Born Arnold Aseff, who erupted as a teenager a few years ago - the young nova quickly changed his name to reflect his ice controlling powers, and eagerly latched onto the idea that he was a god - though willing to aid his worshipers despite otherwise being like the rest of the self-indulgent bastards in the Emerald City Pantheon.

And then Xiao came into the picture, and despite himself Cryo found him going along with the good works and charity of the Dawn General... though he still construed it as beneficence from the deities... And then one night, Cryo found himself staring at Relentless, as the Avenger, observing the charity dinner Xiao was running, asked the icy nova a simple question. "How do you know you're a god?"

Cryo could not find any answer in his head to the most menacing of the Emerald City Avengers. It caused him to soul-search, and what he found was a pit of arrogant, self-interest that honestly, he didn't like when he thought about it. And delusion, belonging to him and his fellows.

After sending a message to the media and to the Pantheon denouncing his former beliefs and commune, Cryo vanished from Emerald City. He was spotted again in Bay City, helping aid the city against the Proprietor and staunchly remaining in the wake to assist against crime and help rebuilding.

Without demand of recompense, in fact, Cryo had nothing but the clothes on his back and was seen in homeless shelters around Bay City. A complete reversal of behavior, one that prompted Doc Steele to actually offer him a place in the new Bay City Sentinels.
PL: 10

Abilities
Strength 0, Stamina 2, Agility 4, Dexterity 3, Intellect 0, Fighting 3, Awareness 2, Presence 2

Defenses
Dodge 8, Fortitude 10, Parry 8, Toughness 14, Will 10

Skills
Deception 7 (+9), Expertise: Popular Culture 8 (+8), Insight 6 (+8), Perception 6 (+8), Persuasion 6 (+8), Ranged Combat: Ice Control 5 (+8)

Advantages
All-Out Attack, Fearless, Improved Initiative 2, Power Attack, Taunt, Precise Attack (Ranged, Cover & Concealment), Improved Critical (Ice Control) 4

Free HQ Equipment - 5 EP
Size +2 (Currently Large), Toughness +6 (Currently +12)

Powers
Enhanced Node: Senses 7 (Accurate, Acute, Analytical, Extended x2, Quantum Awareness)
Ice Shield: Sustained Impervious Protection 12
Ice Platform: Flight 10 (Platform -1)
Ice Immunity: Immunity 10 (Cold/Ice Effects)
Quick Change: Feature 1 (can change into costume as a free action and vice versa)

Ice Control Array
- Ice Bolt: Ranged Damage 14
- Ice Constructs: Create 11
- Ice Blast: Ranged Burst Area Damage 9
- Ice Burst: Burst Area Damage 11
- Ice Snare: Ranged Affliction 14 (Resisted by Dodge; Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Immobile; Limited to Two Degrees -1)
- Flash Freeze: Ranged Weaken Toughness 14 (Resisted by Fortitude)

Combat
Initiative +12
Ice Bolt +8, DC 29
Ice Blast Area DC 19, DC 24/20
Ice Burst Area DC 21, DC 26/21
Ice Snare +8, DC 24
Flash Freeze +8, DC 24

Complications
Motivation - Responsibility: Cryo has absorbed a hefty dose of desire to make up for all that he's
selfishly taken from people, to a surprising extent.
Former Pantheon Member: Cryo, though having broken with the Pantheon, still faces much of the negative attention by his past association with the group, and other remaining Pantheon members are less than pleased.
Public Identity
Taint: As a nova there is always the danger of Taint resulting from overstretching one's powers.

[Abilities 32 + Defenses 25 + Skills 19 + Advantages 10 + Powers 85 = 171]

Update One: Added 2 ranks each to Perception, Insight & Expertise: Popular Culture
Update Two: Added 2 ranks to Persuasion, picked the 5 points of free HQ EP
Update Three: Renamed the main Ice Control Ranged Damage to Ice Bolt, added Ice Blast as an AE (the stunt Cryo did to the pool in Episode 2) and added Precise Attack (Ranged, Concealment)
Update Four: Added 2 ranks to Expertise: Pop Culture
Update Five: Added 4 ranks of Improved Critical (Ice Control)
Update Six: Banked 2 pp.
Update Seven: Gained 1 pp, got permission to remove Ice Aura and shuffle the points around, upgraded Ice Immunity to cover all Cold/Ice effects, added Flash Freeze as an AE of the Ice Control Array, and the Enhanced Node power, as Cryo's node has become more able to pick up quantum sources in the area.
Update Eight: Banked 1 pp.
Update Nine: Banked 2 pp - I don't really have any ideas of what to do with the XP.
Update Ten: With the finale stuff, gained 3 pp - used the PL 11 boost to pretty much bring up Cryo's Ranged Damage to 14, and his Protection to 12 to hit caps. Adjusting alternate effects too.
Last edited by EnigmaticOne on Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:36 am, edited 19 times in total.
Impeach the peach!

Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Kreuzritter » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:17 pm

well, as a Nova, there's the matter of Taint