World of Freedom: FC Setting Builds....

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Cryptolo

Post by Tattooedman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:36 am

Cryptolo:
PL:
Strength 2
Stamina 2
Agility 2
Dexterity 2
Fighting 4
Intellect 3
Awareness 3
Presence 1

Skills: Athletics 6 (+8.), Deception 9 (+10), Expertise [Civics] 6 (+9), Expertise [Computers] 18 (+21), Expertise [Criminal] 12 (+15), Expertise [Pop Culture] 6 (+9), Ranged Combat [Pistols] 4 (+6), Ranged Combat [Blaster Pistols] 4 (+6), Stealth 6 (+8.)

Advantages: Connections, Contacts, Daze [Deception], Eidetic Memory, Equipment 3, Taunt

Powers: Natural With Computers: (Innate)
Enhanced Skill 6 [Expertise (Computers) +18]
Enhanced Advantages 3 [Online Research, Second Chance (Expertise [Computer]), Skill Mastery (Expertise [Computer])]

Offense: Initiative +2
Melee Attack +4
Ranged Attack +2 // Pistol/Blaster Pistol Attack +6

Defense: Dodge +7
Parry +7
Toughness +7*/+2 [*Cyber Armor]
Fortitude +5
Will +8

Equipment: Cyber Armor [Protection 5]
Blaster Pistol [Ranged Damage 5]

Costs: Abilities 38+ Skills 19+ Advantages 8+ Powers 11+ Defenses 16= 92 pts.

Height: 5’11”
Weight: 150 lbs.
Hair: Black
Eye Color: Black

Complications:
Behind The Scenes: Cryptolo prefers to operate without people knowing he’s involved and often times will work through intermediates he hires to represent him and/or his interests in certain situations.

Motivation ~Greed: Cryptolo is driven to make as much money as he possibly can.

Background: Trey Hicks hadn’t ever turned a computer on ever in his life, let alone learned to use one. He was too busy gang-banging and learning all levels of street crime as part of a local crew. But his grandmother, who’d been raising Trey since his single mother had dropped him off on her doorstep when he was three, had signed him up at the local community center to get a free notebook computer, a program that was sponsored by Steele Omnitech, that had an free connection to the internet as long as it was within the city limits.

Honestly Trey was going to go pawn it for some easy money but on a lark decided to turn it on to check it out. A few hours later Trey had unlocked his natural aptitude for computers and was on his way to learning how to put them to criminal use. By the end of two weeks he’d hacked his way across a few Federal databases and a couple corporate systems, taking valuable intellectual property, and thus ended Trey’s time as a street hood and his time as a digital raider begun.

Over the years Trey, who’d earned himself the name of Cryptolo, developed a solid reputation as an information broker and hacker who’d work for anyone willing to pay his fee. Trey also continued to do cyber-raiding on various companies, stealing data and then either ransoming it back to them or selling it to their competition. And while that was a very profitable means of making money it was also how Trey built up an impressive collection of powerful movers and shakers in the business world who wanted his head served up on a platter.

So when Freebooter heard the sum that Crytolo's former victims were willing to pay he couldn’t pass up the chance to show he was still at the top of his game (Cryptolo had been long saying in several hacker cyber meeting sites that it was time for Freebooter to retire and let the new generation of hackers (who were much better anyways) make their mark). So he electronically approached Cryptolo with an offer of them teaming up to pull off what would be the most impressive hack of this century and between the boost to his reputation from doing not only pulling off the cyber-scam would do but from working with the famous (at least in cyber circles that is) Freebooter (say what you want about him but he does have something of a following online) Cryptolo couldn’t accept fast enough.

Together they stole 1.5 billion dollars with a program that pulled just one dollar from a billion and a half personal accounts from around the globe in under just ten minutes and the money was pooled to a central account in the Caymans where Cryptolo and Freebooter would recover it and divide between the two of them. But that’s when things kind of went sideways: Cryptolo was planning on cutting Freebooter out of the deal and while their program was depositing money into their joint account, Cryptolo’s other program was transferring it into an account that was his alone. While Cryptolo was watching his retirement purse swell however Freebooter was pulling a double cross of his own: calling in an anonymous tip on where the Federal Government could find Cryptolo.

Cryptolo surrendered without a fight (he knew what would happen if he tried to resist, he’s a street kid after all, not stupid). By the time he was processed through central booking, all the money Cryptolo had stolen was safely tucked away where his traitorous partner would have a difficult time locating it. It’s been almost ten years now and Cryptolo has never given up where the money went to law enforcement, knowing that all he has to do is do his time, get released and then he’s free to pursue his “retirement”; buying an island somewhere very warm and setting up a digital storage haven that other hackers from around the world can safely store any information they wish, for a percentage cost of course.

What Cryptolo doesn’t know however is that Motherboard, the leader of the Cyber Tribe, stumbled across his hidden account about five years ago and figuring out what it was decided to tap it as a resource for her “family”. Currently the account is at about half of what was originally put into it, maybe enough for Cryptolo to set up his retirement plan (but just barely). So once he finds out what’s happened to his money he’ll go on the warpath – cyber-tracking Motherboard down as well as hiring metamen mercs to target her extended family that makes up the Cyber Tribe.
Last edited by Tattooedman on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
World of Freedom Setting 3E

"Your ignorance is not my burden."
-- Chiun

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: World of Freedom: Crashpad, Faultine, Cryptolo

Post by Shock » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:13 am

I can't help but notice the Tattoo-verse has an awful lot of supervillains. I think the heroes need to step it up a bit.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:44 am

On the other hand the problem with having too many heroes is you start asking why the PC heroes are nessessary.

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Shock » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:23 pm

So the GM doesn't have to come up with all the snappy battlecries on his own? It's hard coming up with gems like "Shave and a haircut, you're dead" and "I surrender". ;}

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:45 pm

What can I say? Battle crys are hard! ;~)

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Tattooedman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:18 pm

Shock wrote:I can't help but notice the Tattoo-verse has an awful lot of supervillains. I think the heroes need to step it up a bit.
Arkrite wrote:On the other hand the problem with having too many heroes is you start asking why the PC heroes are nessessary.
Well Arkrite pretty much hit the nail on the head. I've always thought that if life were more like comics that most folks would use whatever powers they'd end up with in a way that would be selfish and/or self-serving in some way. I've been debating about adding in NPCs with really minor powers (ala Wildcards, kind of just less physical mutations) just to show that people with powers are a growing part of the setting.

As for battle cries....
Charlie wrote:"Because I'm Likable!" Charlie cried out as she smashed Thunder in the face.
Graham wrote:"I don't find it that distracting!" He called out before his fists smashed into her.
It’s hard to top these personal favourites of mine.

Most the time I don’t bother with battle cries aside from the always classic “Get ‘Em!”

-- Chiun

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:46 pm

Tattooedman wrote:As for battle cries....

Charlie wrote:"Because I'm Likable!" Charlie cried out as she smashed Thunder in the face.

Graham wrote:"I don't find it that distracting!" He called out before his fists smashed into her.
*cough*
Okay, I'll amend my statement.
Battle crys are hard. ClassDunce just makes them look easy ;~)

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Post by Spectrum » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:16 pm

I keep looking back at Proxy and marveling at what a cool idea this is.

I might need to *cough* borrow the concept for a tabletop game sometime.

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by kenseido » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:28 pm

So T-man, I love these builds, but I was wondering if you were going to start porting over some of your other builds.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Tattooedman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:56 pm

Spectrum wrote:I keep looking back at Proxy and marveling at what a cool idea this is.

I might need to *cough* borrow the concept for a tabletop game sometime.
Truth be told, Proxy is from the 2E book Paragons. All I did was tweek her into a 3E build and gave her a small alteration in background to fit into my setting.

But yeah her power concept is pretty slick.
kenseido wrote:So T-man, I love these builds, but I was wondering if you were going to start porting over some of your other builds.
Do you mean comic conversions or original builds?

Cause if you're talking about conversions then I hate to tell you that's probably not going to happen since I'm about 2-3 years out of date with what's going on in comics nowadays.

The New 52? I just can't care after the few snippets I've read on Comic Vine.

And don't get me started on Marvel, I just want my heroes to be heroes again and stop with all of the rediulous cross-overs that force a reader to buy another 10 books to to have half a clue as to what the hell the craptastic storyline is about. Sorry but Since Civil War I've been saying that Marvel needs to just do a total reboot of their setting and clean house with most of the writers they've got cause they're sorely missing the point of comics IMO.

It's simple really. Have fun and let the folks in funny looking outfits save the day.

Sorry, I've been talking with a few friends on that subject today so I'm all fired up about it.

Now if you're talking about some of the original builds I did in 2e I might consider doing a a few just for a change of pace.
Last edited by Tattooedman on Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-- Chiun

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Shock » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:09 pm

Tattooedman wrote:Now if you're talking about some of the original builds I did in 2e I might consider doing a a few just for a change of pace.
This gets a thumbs up from me.

Minor point. Cryptolo would be PL11 with a +21 on Computers. Max skill rank is PL+10 in 3E.

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Tattooedman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:14 pm

Shock wrote:
Tattooedman wrote:Now if you're talking about some of the original builds I did in 2e I might consider doing a a few just for a change of pace.
This gets a thumbs up from me.
Really? I never thought most of my original characters were all that interesting. But hey I won't argue if other people enjoy reading them over.
Shock wrote:Minor point. Cryptolo would be PL11 with a +21 on Computers. Max skill rank is PL+10 in 3E.
Ah, I forgot to fix that. At first Cryptolo was going to be PL 10 but I like his computer skill being up there (it was easier on the math with how I built him) but it's fixed now. He's PL 11 like he should have been.

-- Chiun

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Bowman III

Post by Tattooedman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:21 pm

Bowman III:
PL:
Strength 3
Stamina 4
Agility 6
Dexterity 6
Fighting 8
Intellect 2
Awareness 4
Presence 4

Skills: Acrobatics 6 (+12), Athletics 9 (+11), Deception 9 (+13), Expertise [Criminal] 9 (+11), Expertise [History] 4 (+6), Insight 8 (+12), Intimidation 6 (+10), Investigation 5 (+7), Perception 8 (+12), Ranged Combat [Bows] 2 (+12), Stealth 10 (+16), Technology 6 (+8), Vehicles [Air] 5 (+11), Vehicles [Land] 5 (+11)

Advantages: Accurate Attack, Benefit 1 [Wealth (Well-Off)], Close Attack 2, Connected, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Equipment, Evasion, Improved Aim, Improved Critical 4 [Bows], Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Trick, Instant Up, Luck [Determination], Luck [Inspiration], Move-by Action, Precise Attack 2 [ranged; concealment & cover], Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 4, Taunt, Ultimate Effort [Ultimate Aim]

Powers: Hi-Tech Bow and Trick Arrows: Removable (-6 points) [27 pp]
Net Arrow: Ranged Affliction 8 [Hindered & Vulnerable, Defenseless & Immobilized; resisted by Dodge] (Extras: Cumulative, Extra Condition); (Flaw: Limited Degree)
-Blunt-Tipped Arrows: Ranged Damage 8
-Bolo Arrow: Ranged Affliction 8 [Hindered, Defenseless, Incapacitated; resisted by Dodge] (Extra: Cumulative)
-Explosive Arrows: Ranged Damage 8 (Extra: Area [Burst])
-Flare Arrow: Ranged Visual Affliction 8 [Impaired, Disabled, Unaware; resisted by Fortitude] (Extra: Cumulative)
-Line Arrow: Movement 1 [Swinging]
-Smoke Arrow: Visual Concealment 2 (Extras: Area [Burst], Attack)
-Taser Arrows: Ranged Affliction 8 [Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated; resisted by Fortitude]
-Use It Like A Club: Strength-Based Damage 4
-Volley Of Arrows: Ranged Damage 8 (Extra: Multiattack)

Offense: Initiative +10
Melee Attack +10 // Unarmed Damage +3 // Use It Like A Club Damage +7
Ranged Attack +10 // Bow Attacks +12 // Blunt-Tipped Arrow Damage +8

Defense: Dodge +12
Parry +10
Toughness +8*/+/6**/+4 [*Armored Costume & Defensive Roll/**Armored Costume]
Fortitude +8
Will +8

Equipment: Armored Costume [Protection 2; Subtle]
Flashlight

Freedom League Communicator [Commlink, GPS]

Costs: Abilities 74+ Skills 31+ Advantages 32+ Powers 27+ Defenses 16= 180 pts.

Complications:
Fame: All of the members of the Freedom League are very well-known.

Motivation ~Thrillseeker: Bowman is an adrenaline junkie. He sometimes has a hard time reconciling this drive with his professional obligations to his teammates and his extensive training.

Responsibility: As the latest in a line of heroes to carry the “Bowman” name, he feels a keen responsibility to do the name proud.

Background: Bowman’s got his hands fairly full at this point, he's settled into his role as the newest member of the Freedom League and has establish something of a regular stomping grounds in Freedom City; he keeps his eye over in the Fens and has teamed with his old pal Sonic several times and even managed to work with Foreshadow once or twice. Currently he acts as the liason to the newest members of the League that are active in Freedom City.

-- Chiun

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Draco

Post by Tattooedman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:59 pm

Draco:
PL:
Strength 10
Stamina 8
Agility 2
Dexterity 2
Fighting 6
Intellect 0
Awareness 2
Presence 0

Skills: Close Combat [Unarmed] 4 (+10), Expertise [Bay City] 5 (+5), Insight 8 (+10), Intimidation 12 (+12), Perception 8 (+10), Ranged Combat [Thrown Objects] 4 (+6), Stealth 6 (+8.)

Advantages: All-Out Attack, Improved Initiative, Interpose, Power Attack, Startle

Powers: Bone Spurs: Feature 1 [can inflict piercing damage with unarmed attacks]
Dragon Body:
Immunity 10 [Life Support]
Protection 4
Dragon Breath Array:
Fire Breath: Damage 10 [fire] (Extra: Area [Cone])
-Acid Breath: Weaken Toughness 10 (Extras: Affects Objects, Area [Line]); (Flaw: Unreliable [5 uses])
-Chlorine Breath: Affliction 10 [Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated; resisted by Fortitude] (Extras: Area [Cloud])
-Frost Breath: Damage 10 (Extra: Area [Cone])
-Lightning Breath: Damage 10 (Extra: Area [Line]
Dragon Eyes: Senses 4 [Darkvision, Low-Light Vision, Vision (Extended)]
Dragon Wings: Flight 8 (Flaw: Winged)

Feats of Super Strength Array:
-Groundstrike: Damage 10 (Extra: Area [Line]); (Flaws: Limited [Draco & his targets must be on the ground])
-Shockwave: Affliction 10 [Dazed & Vulnerable, Stunned & Prone; resisted by Dodge/ Fortitude] (Extra: Area [Burst], Extra Condition); (Flaws: Limited Degree, Limited [Draco & his targets must be on the ground])
-Sonic Slam: Affliction 10 [Dazed & Vulnerable, Stunned & Prone; resisted by Dodge/Fortitude] (Extras: Area [Cone], Extra Condition); (Flaws: Limited Degree, Limited [Draco & his targets must be on the ground])
-Thunderclap: Audio Affliction 10 [Impaired & Dazed, Disabled & Stunned, Unaware & Incapactiated; resisted by Dodge/Fortitude] (Extras: Area [Burst], Extra Condition); (Flaw: Limited [Draco & his targets must be on the ground])

Offense: Initiative +6
Melee Attack +10
Ranged Attack +2 // Thrown Objects Attack +6

Defense: Dodge +8
Parry +8
Toughness +12
Fortitude +12
Will +8

Costs: Abilities 60+ Skills 23+ Advantages 5+ Powers 55+ Defenses 18= 161 pts.

Height: 6' 6"
Weight: 240 lbs
Hair: Black
Eye Color: Yellow (and reptilian looking)

Complications:
Amnesia: Draco doesn’t remember a thing about his life before getting caught in the Wildstrike.

Distinctive Looks: There is no way that Draco can cover up the physical mutations he’s suffered because of the Wildstrike and this makes him stand out in a crowd.

Movtivation ~Doing Good: Despite what the Wildstrike has done to his life, Draco still tries to use his powers to help others.

Temper: Draco is angry about the turn his life has taken because of the Wildstrike, and sometimes he can loose his cool.

Background: James Carter was settling into the newest phase of his life pretty well; he’d went onto reserved status with the Chicago Avengers, settled down and gotten engaged to his long time girlfriend, Kelly (who had always understood his using his powers as the hero Vanguard, but still worried about him) and had started going to college.

Then the Wildstrike happened and James’ world was completely turned upside down.

He had been at class when the Wildstrike first hit and James didn’t gave it a second thought to start trying to help everyone even though he didn’t have his costume handy, and when a girl near him looked like she was about to get struck by some strange, arcing energy he moved in front of her to take the brunt of it. But instead of him merely shrugging it off, like he’d done many previous times in the past, the energy interacted strangely with James’ powers and his body began to stretch and bend in ways it wasn’t supposed to as bone spurs of various sizes and shapes pushed their way through his skin at several different points and his skin became thicker as well as taking on an odd coloring.

It was a kind of pain that James had never experienced before and after several moments his body went into shock and he passed out.

When he woke up several days later he learned he was in a hospital alone with several other victims of the Wildstrike and that was when he learned just how radically altered his looks now were; there were bone spurs coming from his elbows, the main knuckles on top of his hands, and his along his face (mostly where a guy would normally grow a goatee and mustache and along his eyebrows). His skin had a scaled look to it and his black hair hung down past his shoulders. He knew that he looked “wrong” but no matter how hard he tried to he couldn’t remember what he should look like, in fact he couldn’t remember anything about himself at all and soon the doctors had diagnosed him with extreme case of retrograde amnesia brought on by the trauma of his transformation by the Wildstrike.

Over the following days Adam, as he was named by the nursing staff, was ran through a large battery of tests and he learned much about what his new body could do; it was stronger and more physically resilient than an normal person, he could withstand environmental factors others couldn’t and he could breath fire. Overall every one of the changes to Adam’s body made him a human/dragon hybrid.

Realizing that they were officially out of their element, his doctors arranged for Adam to go to Bay City, the origin point of the Wildstrike, where specialists were trying to help those affected by it in the hope that they were better equipped to deal with his case. Since arriving Adam has started making a name for himself as a Joker hero, fighting various super villains who've come to Bay City looking to take advantage of the chaos that's happened even though many of the residents of the city don't seem to like him all that much. Adam doesn't know why he feels the need to stick his neck out like he's been doing with all the grief he's been catching aside from the nagging feeling that it's something he'd have done before the Wildstrike, but it was enough to bring him to Doc Steele's attention as he looked for possible members for the new team he was putting together.

Well I guess there are a few people who are interested in seeing some original builds from me in 3rd edition, so who am I to argue?

I figured I’d start off with my newest build, Draco. I made him for Kruezritter’s Crinoverse Bay City Sentinels game

I’ve already played a couple characters in the Crinoverse setting (Vanguard, who’s mentioned in the background above, and Carter Cash, who replaced Vanguard in the game I was a part of) and honestly it’s a fun setting. A lot to keep track of as a GM but my hat is off to Crinos and all the others (cause I can’t keep track of everyone who’s ran a game in that setting but I know it’s a handful) for doing it so well. Basically the Crinoverse is a mish-mash of DC & Marvel with Image & all the other companies, a few movies and cartoons thrown into one gigantic blender and set to dice.

But now on to the build.

Basically Draco is a powerhouse with a few options; he’s got a ranged attack in his fire breath and of course he’s got some classic Super Strength tricks to use in a fight (shockwave, groundstrike, thunderclap and some others that I’m holding off on right now until I get some xp to spend). Also Draco can take a hit with his Toughness being traded up for a reduced defense and a couple feats he can use in a fight and a couple of skills but most of those are related to fighting in one way or another except for a couple.

I do have a plan on what to do with future xp but I want to keep that quiet for now and see if I get a chance to take Draco where I want.

Personality-wise I’m still in the early stages of figuring out but I do know he’s got a bit of a temper (go figure with the complication right?) and I leaning towards going with the gruff & ugly brawler attitude that’s kinda no-nonsense outlook. Sure he’s had some rough times but he’ll still do what’s right, just probably not with a smile on his face.
Last edited by Tattooedman on Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-- Chiun

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Vanguard

Post by Tattooedman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:18 pm

Vanguard:
PL:
Strength 12 (6/2)
Stamina 3
Agility 2
Dexterity 2
Fighting 6
Intellect 0
Awareness 2
Presence 0

Skills: Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+8.), Deception 9 (+9), Insight 8 (+10), Perception 7 (+9), Ranged Combat [Thrown Objects] 6 (+8.)

Advantages: All-Out Attack, Improved Feint, Luck [Determination], Power Attack

Powers: Absorb & Redirect All Forms Of Energy:
Energy Absorption [Enhanced Strength] 12 (Extra: Reaction); (Flaw: Fades)
Immunity 40 [Energy Damage, Energy Effects] (Flaw: Limited [Half Effective])
Charged Physiology:
Enhanced Strength 4
Enhanced Strength 6 (Flaw: Limited [Lifting Only])
Enhanced Advantages 2 [Diehard, Improved Initiative]
Protection 9

Offense: Initiative +6
Melee Attack +8
Ranged Attack +2 // Thrown Object Attack +8

Defense: Dodge +8
Parry +8
Toughness +12
Fortitude +10
Will +8

Costs: Abilities 34+ Skills 12+ Advantages 4+ Powers 79+ Defenses 21= 150 pts.

Height: 6' 2"
Weight: 230 lbs
Hair: Dark Brown
Eye Color: Blue

Complications:
Motivation ~Do Good: James tries to do as much good for people as he can; from helping those caught in a burning house to fighting super villains to even doing public appearances James will jump right in to do what he can to help.

Responsibility ~Girlfriend: Often times James' dealing with crime will cut into his time with his girlfriend Kelly, earning him some troubles in his dating life.

Thrills: James’ powers make him very difficult to get hurt and he’s developing a devil-may-care attitude (jumping off buildings tops to land in the street, planting himself in front of speeding getaway cars to stop them and so on). He highly enjoys his powers and loves to demonstrate how tough they make him.

Background: James Carter grew up in a world with heroes, used to hearing about all the awesome adventures they had while saving the world. Growing up in Chicago, where there weren’t many heroes, he never once expected he’d get a chance to become a part of it.

His powers activated when he was a bystander in a fight between the Freedom League and the Power Corps. Hit by a stray energy blast James’ powers activated, making him stronger and more durable and he quickly started to use them to help the other people around him get to safety.

Enjoying the rush he got from that experience (both the public recognition and the action of it all) James went about putting a costume of his own together and jumped feet first into the world of heroes, trusting in his powers to keep him safe. James realizes that he has a responsibility to use his powers to help others but he’s definitely enjoying the experience for what it’s worth.

Heh, good old Vanguard. I gotta admit I really like the picture I used for this character, so much so that I’d actually been holding onto it for about two months when I did Vanguard’s original build and I wanted him to be kind of a “classic” styled hero and I thought the pic just hit the nail on the head.

My initial idea for Vanguard’s powers went something like this: what if someone got the DNA from Bishop & Sebastian Shaw and mixed them together?

Sounds cool right?

Well, it #$%&ing SUCKS to build.

I’m sure most everyone reading this is at least somewhat familiar with the 2nd edition version of Absorption, well needless to say the core idea behind Vanguard’s Absorption pretty much needed every modifier possible (or at least all of the expensive ones) and a couple flaws on top of it all for a crazy cost formula that really drove me nuts, ate up a ton of time to work out it’s effects in combat (let’s not EVEN get into when Power Attack/All-Out Attack was used) and just turned into a real big headache. So to make it things easier on me (and enjoy myself playing Vanguard more) I talked with the GM about re-working him.

Fortunately the GM was very cool about it all and let me fiddle with Vanguard’s powers and I ended up turning him into a paragon with some energy tricks to play around with (energy blasts, energy sword and such. Heck I’d even briefly considered making him a walking GL ring but decided not too at the last minute).

Then the problem turned into playing Vanguard’s personality, as I’d somehow ended up turning him into some kind of reject surfer guy/frat guy by using the movie-popularized terms/personality traits that everyone knows. Well then I ended up finding myself struggling to write Vanguard because I’d played him so straight forward and he didn’t have too many skills (and still really doesn’t but whatever) and I somehow got it twisted around in my head that he wasn’t too keen on the uptake sometimes (goes with the frat guy stereotype) that I felt like I had to dumb down every post to hit the personality I found Vanguard having by that point (and let me tell you what, if you think playing a super genius is tough you haven’t tried playing a character that’s not as alert as you are and willing to think outside of the box).

So I ended up “retiring” Vanguard and making a new character to play for the Chicago Avengers game (Carter Cash, who’ll be coming soon). But the way I handled Vanguard overall has been something that bugged me to a point, nothing serious but looking back you can see ideas that weren’t clear back at that time, though I stand by what I did at the time I’ve been wanting to try and “make good” with the character overall.

Funny enough I’ve recently figured out a way to do that, but I had to change him (a lot!). Vanguard is now called Draco and I’m playing him in the Bay City Sentinels game as an amnesiac victim of a power granting/altering effect that covered the U.S. So we’ll see if I can do him right this time around……

A slight note here now that I’m done roaming down memory lane; this build of Vanguard is based on my original idea of Energy Absorption. Which meant I had to deal with the 3rd edition version of the power (which was about as much fun as it was with the 2nd edition version), but the good news is I did manage to hit my goal of keeping Vanguard at 150 pp total cost.
Last edited by Tattooedman on Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

-- Chiun