World of Freedom: FC Setting Builds....

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: World of Freedom: Crashpad, Faultine, Cryptolo & Draco

Post by Horsenhero » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:31 pm

Goooooaaaalll!!!

At least I hope you make your goal of having the character turn out better this time around. The funny thing is, once I saw the new Crinoverse campaign by Kreuzritter, it started me thinking. I don't want to peel off on a lengthy tangent, but it got me thinking about the various GM's on the board and the players they attract. I've noticed that certain players tend to gravitate toward certain GM's and certain GM's tend to cast particular players alot. Of course there's certainly degrees of overlap, and I almost always try to cast at least one relatively new ATT'er, but I certainly have my regulars and semi-regulars and favorites.

I'm just rambling really, but looking at the games, it just struck me today, and I found it interesting in a quirky sort of way.

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by kenseido » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:10 am

Yeah, Absorption is one of those 2E powers that sounds cool, but never really works right in game (like Photographic Reflexes and Nemesis). The fact that it is suppose to apply to caps, means you will be shorted somewhere.

Oh and thank you for making the Immunity 40, instead of 20. One of my biggest problems in 2E is what people try to stick in as 10 and 20 point Immunities. When the game developers stick 'all melee' or 'all ranged' attacks as a 20 point Immunity, well, that pretty well skews the scale for everything else.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Kreuzritter » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:31 am

indeed. that was why i'd vetted badpenny, omega girl and stavaros for my games, to get some fresh blood in addition to regulars
Kreuz Control Promotions: over 2800 builds served, and counting...
Crinoverse: Contributions

SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by SilvercatMoonpaw » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:36 am

I know how you feel about "thinking outside the box". I can do "less aware" because I have experience writing comical characters and that's an easy archetype, but "spontaneous, off-the-wall" is not something I can grasp. I still don't know how Yeo can manage Charli.

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by kenseido » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:45 am

I have a friend who can pull it off. The trick is to stay engaged so that you have things to do in the game and aren't just on a ride along.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:54 am

Horsenhero wrote:I've noticed that certain players tend to gravitate toward certain GM's and certain GM's tend to cast particular players alot.
I suspect a bit of that is for the same reason.
GMs know that certain players aren't likely to disappear within the first month of playing, and that they're players who fit into their own prefferences for how games roll.
I've been in more than one game where either half the players bail or the GM disappears. Sometimes its just nice to know that they're less likely to do that.

Or less likely to go completely bugnuts on you.

Or in my case, well, I guess they've come to expect the bugnuts by now ;~)

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Tattooedman » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:38 am

kenseido wrote:Oh and thank you for making the Immunity 40, instead of 20. One of my biggest problems in 2E is what people try to stick in as 10 and 20 point Immunities. When the game developers stick 'all melee' or 'all ranged' attacks as a 20 point Immunity, well, that pretty well skews the scale for everything else.
To be honest as I was working on the 3E build of Vanguard I referenced a couple different builds of Bishop as a guide line on the Immunity part of Absoption, so that helped. But my main thing was that if a 10 pt Immunity covered one specific type of energy effect then to be immune to all of them the 20 pt Immunity would be the way to go.
Horsenhero wrote:The funny thing is, once I saw the new Crinoverse campaign by Kreuzritter, it started me thinking. I don't want to peel off on a lengthy tangent, but it got me thinking about the various GM's on the board and the players they attract. I've noticed that certain players tend to gravitate toward certain GM's and certain GM's tend to cast particular players alot. Of course there's certainly degrees of overlap, and I almost always try to cast at least one relatively new ATT'er, but I certainly have my regulars and semi-regulars and favorites.

I'm just rambling really, but looking at the games, it just struck me today, and I found it interesting in a quirky sort of way.
Kreuzritter wrote:indeed. that was why i'd vetted badpenny, omega girl and stavaros for my games, to get some fresh blood in addition to regulars
Arkrite wrote:I suspect a bit of that is for the same reason.
GMs know that certain players aren't likely to disappear within the first month of playing, and that they're players who fit into their own prefferences for how games roll.
I've been in more than one game where either half the players bail or the GM disappears. Sometimes its just nice to know that they're less likely to do that.

Or less likely to go completely bugnuts on you.

Or in my case, well, I guess they've come to expect the bugnuts by now ;~)

As I started to run games on the ATT I've tried never to look submitted characters based on anything more than a few things:

-How does the character's personality/history that's been submitted mesh with the adventures I have in mind?

-Is it an overly complex build (does it have the potenital for min/maxing-slash-abusive power-slash-game breaking power set up)?

-The personality of the player, as shown by posts I've personally read here on the ATT so far. (this came about from experiences here where a possible PC seemed alright then turned into an arguementative power gamer who blew off concerns I voiced over a few month period when it came to game balance between their character and the rest of the group with a lot of passive aggressive comments in OOC and saw in the player in question had a similar track record in other games they were a part of).

Much of what I've learned since I've been running games on the ATT lead me to agree for the most part with Arkrite; knowing that certain players aren't likely to disappear within the first adventure or two, and that they're able to fit into their own prefferences and concepts into the overall tone & scheme of a game goes a long way to having repeat players in different games ran by the same person. But I've always tried to give anyone with a good character idea a chance, sometimes it's worked out great and other not so well.
World of Freedom Setting 3E

"Your ignorance is not my burden."
-- Chiun

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Mithra

Post by Tattooedman » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:42 am

Mithra:
PL:
Strength 2
Stamina 2
Agility 2
Dexterity 2
Fighting 4
Intellect 2
Awareness 2
Presence 3

Skills: Athletics 6 (+8.), Deception 9 (+12/+14), Expertise [Current Events] 4 (+6), Expertise [Criminal] 8 (+10), Expertise [Police Officer] 2 (+4), Insight 9 (+11), Investigation 2 (+4), Perception 8 (+10), Persuasion 9 (+12/+14), Ranged Combat [Energy Blast] 4 (+10), Stealth 10 (+12), Treatment 2 (+4), Vehicles [Land] 3 (+5)

Advantages: Attractive, Close Attack 6, Contacts, Daze [Deception], Equipment, Great Endurance, Improved Feint, Improved Initiative 2, Move-By-Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers: Phase Shifting:
Insubstantial 4 [affected by lead]
Movement 2 [Air Walking 2]
Phase Bolt: Ranged Damage 10 (Extra: Penetrating)

Disruption Array:
Electronic Disruption: Nullify Electronics 10 (Extra: Simultaneous); (Feat: Affects Corporeal); (Flaw: Limited [only useable while Phase Shifting is in effect])
-Biological Disruption: Affliction 10 [Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated; resisted by Fortitude] (Feat: Affects Corporeal); (Flaw: Limited [only useable while Phase Shifting is in effect])

Offense: Initiative +10
Melee Attack +10
Ranged Attack +6 // Energy Blast Attack +10

Defense: Dodge +13
Parry +13
Toughness +6*/+2 [*Costume]
Fortitude +9
Will +9

Equipment: Costume [Protection 4; Communicator]

Costs: Abilities 38+ Skills 26+ Advantages 20+ Powers 66+ Defenses 34= 184 pts.

Height: 5’11”
Weight: 180 lbs
Hair: Brown
Eye Color: Hazel

Complications:
Protective Of His Other Half: Mithra is very protective of Isis with all the trauma she has suffered in her life, so if anyone would happen to seriously hurt her they’d have to deal with a very pissed off, mutant-powered husband.

Relationship: Mithra is married to his partner Isis.

Reputation: Mithra is known in the underworld as a skilled thief who can hold his own, especially with his partner, Isis, working with him.

Background: Darren Matthews was a cop who worked for the mob all because he was in love with the daughter of one of the mafia’s higher ranking members. Eventually an enforcer turned informant ratted Darren out and he was forced to go on the run. What Darren hadn’t told anyone was that he was a mutant, able to turn his body intangible and fire energy blasts, and he used those abilities as a thief on the run for several years until he met Isis and they became the Seraphim.
Last edited by Tattooedman on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

-- Chiun

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Isis

Post by Tattooedman » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:46 am

Isis:
PL:
Strength 1
Stamina 6 (2)
Agility 8 (2)
Dexterity 8 (2)
Fighting 4
Intellect 2
Awareness 0
Presence 0

Skills: Athletics 3 (+4), Deception 6 (+6), Expertise [Criminal] 4 (+6), Expertise [Science] 6 (+8.), Intimidation 8 (+8.), Investigation 4 (+6), Perception 8 (+10), Persuasion 4 (+4), Stealth 8 (+10), Technology 6 (+8.), Vehicles [Air] 3 (+5), Vehicles [Land] 3 (+5), Vehicles [Sea] 3 (+5)

Advantages: Close Attack 4, Contacts, Equipment, Favored Environment [Airborne], Ranged Attack 2, Set-Up, Startle, Teamwork

Powers: Enhanced Physiology:
Enhanced Stamina 4
Enhanced Agility 6
Enhanced Dexterity 6
Senses 5 [Auditory (Accurate, Extended), Ultra-Hearing (Extended)]
Energy Blasts: Ranged Damage 10 (Extra: Penetrating)
Self Propulsion: Flight 10

Offense: Initiative +8
Melee Attack +8
Ranged Attack +10

Defense: Dodge +10*/+8 [*Airborne]
Parry +10*/+8 [*Airborne]
Toughness +10*/+6 [*Costume]
Fortitude +10
Will +7

Equipment: Costume [Communicator]

Costs: Abilities 26+ Skills 22+ Advantages 12+ Powers 87+ Defenses 13= 160 pts.

Height: 5’5”
Weight: 115 lbs
Hair: Black
Eye Color: Brown

Complications:
Protective Of Her Other Half: Isis is very protective of Mithra (as she sees it he’s the weaker of the two of them), so if anyone would happen to seriously hurt him they’d have to deal with a very pissed off, super-powered wife.

Relationship: Isis is married to his partner Mithra.

Reputation: Isis is known in the underworld as a skilled thief who can hold her own, especially with her partner, Mithra, working with her.

They’ll Come For Me!: Isis is always worried that the “aliens” that abducted, experimented and empowered her all those years ago might come back at some point to see how their test subject has been fairing. If presented with even the slightest chance of happening Isis will freak out; haphazardly making a run for it with not a care for who or what might be in her way.

Background: Alexia Parks was an AEGIS agent who was kidnapped and subjected to cruel, superpower-granting experiments by aliens (actually the Labyrinth using aliens as their cover story) that gave her flight, superhuman agility, stamina and hearing as well as the ability to fire destructive energy blasts. She literally dropped out of the sky in front of Darren Matthews, a then small-time metaman thief who took Alexia in and nursed her back to health. It was during this several month period of time that they discovered her powers and slowly the pair fell in love as they worked on her developing them, as Alexia walked away form her old life. The two were married just before taking to the road, their effort to stay a few steps ahead of law enforcement and the “aliens”.
Last edited by Tattooedman on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

-- Chiun

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Kynigos

Post by Tattooedman » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:58 am

Kynigos:
PL:
Strength 2
Stamina 2
Agility 2
Dexterity 2
Fighting 6
Intellect 4
Awareness 5
Presence 2

Skills: Expertise [Magic] 12 (+16), Expertise [Theology & Philosophy] 6 (+10), Insight 10 (+15), Intimidation 11 (+13), Perception 8 (+13), Ranged Combat [Mystic Might] 9 (+11)

Advantages: Close Attack 6, Fearless, Luck [Determination] 2, Ritualist, Task Focus [Expertise (Magic): Demons]

Powers: Infernal Heritage: (Noticeable [Glowing red eyes])
Demonic Hardiness: Immunity 5 [Disease, Environmental Cold, Environmental Heat, Poisons, Suffocation]
Demonic Senses: Senses 5 [Mystical Awareness (Analytical, Acute), Darkvision]
Hellfire Wings: Flight 4
Hellforged Weapon: Strength-Based Damage 10

Mystic Might Array:
Lamal’s Mighty Hands: Move Object 15 (Extra: Damaging); (Feat: Precise)
-Flame of Phoros: Ranged Damage 15 (Extra: Penetrating)
-Curse of the Howling Madness: Ranged Affliction 15 [Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated; resisted by Will] (Extra: Cumulative)
-Ios’ Enlightened Eyes: Remote Sensing 14 [audio & visual] & Senses 4 [Vision Counters Illusion, Vision Counters Concealment] (Flaw: Noticeable)
-Shatachna’s Curse:: Ranged Affliction 15 [Fatigued, Exhausted, Incapacitated; resisted by Fortitude] (Extra: Cumulative)
-Idolon’s Hood: Concealment 4 [all visual senses]
-Abbridon’s Abjurations: Nullify Magic 15 (Extra: Area [Burst], Simultaneous); (Flaw: Close Range)
-Scarlet Shades of Sirrion: Concealment 15 [audio & visual] (Extras: Area, Attack, Selective)
-Chains of Kar’Kradas: Ranged Affliction 15 [Hindered & Vulnerable, Defenseless & Immobilized; resisted by Dodge] (Extra: Cumulative); (Feat: Reversible)
-Ahgrazul’s Gate: Teleport 8 (Extras: Accurate, Portal); (Feats: Change Direction)

Bracers of Abbridon: (Removable –5 pts) [22 pp]
Enchanted Artifact: Feature 1 [Indestructible]
Defensive Wards: Force Field 13

Offense: Initiative +2
Melee Attack +12
Ranged Attack +2 // Mystic Might Array Attack +11

Defense: Dodge +12
Parry +12
Toughness +15*/+2 [*Bracers of Abbridon]
Fortitude +11
Will +14

Costs: Abilities 50+ Skills 20+ Advantages 11+ Powers 105+ Defenses 34= 220 pts.

Height: 5’9”
Weight: 153 lbs
Hair: Dark Brown
Eye Color: Blue [glowing red when using Infernal heritage]

Complications:
Bad Attitude: His world died, largely by his own inaction in his mind, Kynigos doesn’t intend to let it happen to another world. He’s started to take a more aggressive mentality to make sure it doesn’t.

Guilt: Kynigos feels that if he’d shared his vision with his former master that his world may have survived the Invasion.

Power Loss: Kynigos loses the access to his Magic Array when unable to speak and gesture.

Temper: Kynigos can lose his cool from time to time, basically it's a lesser form of Survior's Guilt.

Weakness: Kynigos is vulnerable to items that have the Holy descriptor and takes suffers a Stunned Condition if he fails his Toughness Save against attacks done with them.

Background: Kevin Anders spent most of his life not understanding why he felt so different to everyone around him. Even when he was with his “friends” in the streets he still felt like he didn’t fit in with them, despite the fact he often led them in their delinquent activities. Finally his infernal nature was revealed when a costumed hero tried to stop the gang’s joy ride in the stolen car, Kevin manifested his soulforge weapon, which looked like something from one of those anime shows he’d watched a couple of times (a huge blade), for the first time and cut the swing line that was attached to the back bumper.

From there Kevin played around with his powers and discovered his ability to summon a pair of moth-like wings made of a burning red energy that allowed him to take to the air. From there it wasn’t a huge step for him to graduate to small-time super-crime, Kevin made his name stealing all kinds of minor things a teenager would want; showy cars, bling jewelry, name brand footwear and so on. This unique string of robberies by a being with his mystical lineage soon brought the local mystical hero, who wasn’t expecting a semi-demonic descended teenager of all things, and quickly enough Kevin was stopped.

Though instead of turning him over to the police the mystic instead offered Kevin the chance to learn about himself and what he could do with it. Realizing what would happen to him if he went to jail Kevin quickly agreed and soon began his time as the apprentice of his world’s leading mages. Due to his mystical nature Kevin possessed a natural talent for spell casting and was able to master spells that were beyond the years of his training. Though his master kept Kevin humble and within a few years Kevin was considered a skilled mage in his own right, often working with little support. Calling himself Kynigos (the Greek word for hunter, which wasn‘t really too different from what he did honestly). He’d even managed to join with a group of younger heroes to form their own team that dealt with threats that were somewhat less threatening than the world-shaking plots their mentors faced.

Eventually though the forces of Omega came.

In the first assault Kevin’s mentor and the majority of his team were killed fighting against Mandragora and his dragons as well as the almost endless hordes of Omegadrones. Kevin and his friends managed to survive mostly due to luck and they reorganized themselves with the remaining heroes of the world for a final assault on the incoming warship that had just appeared in the darkening skies above their city.

As Kevin was making his final preparations for the coming attack he heard a voice call out to him from one of the several rooms in the sanctum, from a portal that stood waiting for him when he entered the room.

“Your world is almost undone. You can prevent this fate from happening to others, simply step through the gateway.”

Kevin considered the visions he’d had just days before that had told him that all of this was going to happen. He shook his head as he realized he’d been so very foolish to think that the normal way he’d dealt with disasters would have worked this time and that he should have contacted his master to confer with him about this, but he hadn’t. He’d simply thought it was the result of another plot by a random villain like before, he hadn’t taken the situation serious enough. With that he finished placing his dead master’s bracers on and stepped through the waiting portal without a second thought.

The idea with Kynigos is that he’s a fairly powerful mage due to his infernal heritage but his total spell knowledge is kind of limited (at least that’s what I was going for but I think with 9 alt effects on his Mystic Might Array I might have over shot my goal) and I didn’t want him to fall short if he couldn’t cast spells (say to a nullify magic effect being tossed out by the GM) so his infernal heritage gives him some offensive ability as well (though clearly I was inspired a fair bit by Michuru’s ideas for the Nephilim in his Vindicator’s stories ~good stuff by the way, check it out!~). Combined with a then-time interest in mystics and magical things thanks to my getting & reading the 2E Book of Magic I wanted to build a mage character that referenced things from that book as well to use the excellent spell listings that are there.

What didn't help too much with converting Kynigos over to 3E is that I actually do have plans for him to show up in a later coming adventure so I need him to be close to the same level of power he had when I used him as PC so several of his powers got upped in rank which serviously raised his costs.

One power that got increased by a lot was his flight. Originally it was only 2 ranks which led to a funny play between Kynigos and the team's power mimicking, rogue, forced-to-be-good-by-the-Norn member, who was very disapointed in the limited speed they gave. When he commented after finding out the flight was so slow that he actually lost a car he'd been following about the lackluster rate of movement they provided (something about thinking that bats out of hell were supposed to be fast) all Kynigos had to say was that he mostly used them during a fight and if he needed to cover long distances he simply opened up a mystic gate.

I don't want to go too much more into what's in the works for Kynigos as it'll give away a good portion of the future adventure (though it's not too far away). But I will say this; he's not a villain. So for now he'll hold a spot in my original builds section but once he shows up in game I'll prolly repost him with an adjusted background to show how he fits in the adventure.

-- Chiun

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by kenseido » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Tattooedman wrote:To be honest as I was working on the 3E build of Vanguard I referenced a couple different builds of Bishop as a guide line on the Immunity part of Absoption, so that helped. But my main thing was that if a 10 pt Immunity covered one specific type of energy effect then to be immune to all of them the 20 pt Immunity would be the way to go.
I guess I have it wrong, the book does list Energy as a 20 point Immunity. Guess that will have to be on the list of bans for any 3E games I run.

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Tattooedman » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:22 pm

kenseido wrote:I guess I have it wrong, the book does list Energy as a 20 point Immunity. Guess that will have to be on the list of bans for any 3E games I run.
Well while I did use the 20 pt Immunity to cover Energy I also limited it to the damage part only, if you look at the way the Immunity is worded it should state Energy Attacks (meaning damage, which I should probably change to be more clear) and Energy Effects (things like force energy restraints and other attacks that are maniuplated forms of energy and such). So together those two immunities make up the 40 ranks.

-- Chiun

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Freelancer

Post by Tattooedman » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:46 pm

Freelancer:
PL: 10
Strength 8 (2)
Stamina 3
Agility 5 (2)
Dexterity 2
Fighting 4
Intellect 2
Awareness 2
Presence 2

Skills: Acrobatics 4 (+6/+9), Deception 8 (+10), Athletics 2 (+4/+10), Close Combat [Unarmed] 6 (+12), Expertise [Science] 8 (+10), Expertise [Streetwise] 4 (+6), Insight 8 (+10), Perception 6 (+8.), Stealth 6 (+8/+11), Technology 8 (+10), Vehicles [Land] 6 (+8.)

Advantages: Close Attack 2, Beginner’s Luck, Equipment 3, Improved Feint, Improved Initiative, Luck [Determination], Luck [Skillful], Jack-of-all-Trades, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Precise Attack [ranged; cover], Ranged Attack 6, Takedown Attack

Powers: Mark V Urban Combat Armor (Removable –17 pts) [68 pp]
Ion Blaster: Ranged Damage 10 (Power Feat: Accurate)
Strength & Coordination Enhancers:
Enhanced Strength 6
Enhanced Agility 3
Sealed System: Immunity 6 [Disease, Environmental Cold, Environmental Heat, Poison, Suffocation]
Omnisteel Plating: Protection 7 (Extra: Impervious 10)
Urban Adaptations: Movement 5 [Wall-Crawling 2, Sure-Footed 2, Swinging]
Sensor Systems: Senses 9 [Darkvision, Infravision, Radio, Radar, Time Sense]
Exo-Strength:
Enhanced Strength 3 (Flaw: Limited [Lifting Only])
-Jump Jets: Leaping 3
-Leg Servos: Speed 3

Offense: Initiative +9
Melee Attack +6 // Unarmed Attack +12
Ranged Attack +8 // Ion Blaster Attack +10

Defense: Dodge +10
Parry +10
Toughness +10*/+3 [*Mark V Armor (Impervious 10)]
Fortitude +8
Will +7

Equipment: 5 ep to use as needed
Warehouse Base [Size: Small; Toughness 10] Features: Communications, Computer, Concealed, Fire Prevention System, Gym, Living Space, Power System, Security System, Workshop

Costs: Abilities 32+ Skills 23+ Advantages 21+ Powers 68+ Defenses 21= 165 pts.

Height: 5’ 10” [6’ in armor]
Weight: 180 lbs [260 in armor]
Eye Color: Blue

Backgorund: Steven Williams grew up knowing that joining the military was going to be his only way out of his life in Nutbush, Kentucky, where his family lived in the hills with the basics of comfort and a fair amount of hard work to have just that. Lying about his age when he was sixteen Steven joined the Army and specialized in vehicles when it was discovered he had a natural talent for handling them and repairing them. This brought him to the attention of a small project being run by a military contractor who was developing a series of one-man heavy combat suits, called X-Os, who thought that Steven fit the bill of what they were looking to fill.

Thus Steven was soon recruited into the program and spent much of the following two years being fitted to an X-O suit and training to handle it in combat situations. Eventually though the project was shut down due to budget restrictions and Steven was sent back to his old unit with a fair sized bonus in his pocket and an order not to reveal anything about the program. It was at this point that Steven’s time in the Army was done and he realized that he was tired of the Army’s way of life, being monitored and ordered around, by men who for the most part, weren’t fit to carry his toolbox. So Steven opted to not reenlist and went home to Kentucky.

Which lasted for about a week before Steven figured out that he didn’t fit in with his family any better now than when he had first left and he quickly packed his few belongings and headed for anywhere but “home”. Eventually Steven needed a regular income and not wanting to dip into his “emergency stash” of money he’d saved from his time working in the X-O project and he looked up a couple old pals from the Army who’d gone independent after they left (in other words they’d become mercenaries). Those friends were able to get Steven hired on as a vehicle specialist and soon enough he was mostly working on the APVs used by the company, though from time to time Steven was required to go into the field but those times were rare and few (it wasn’t that Steven couldn’t handle himself either, he simply preferred to work on the rides and did better there than most others did).

After spending a couple years working for the company Steven got a very interesting job offer; to come to Freedom City and help test out a new version of the resurrected X-O suit project. The new owners of the system wanted to hire him on as a private consultant to put the latest version, called the Mark V, through its paces. The payout for simply going and doing a two day test run was as much money as Steven would make in a year, so he wasted no time in making the cross country trip within days of the offer being made. Upon reaching Freedom City Steven discovered that the company had improved the X-O suit to the point that the Mark V was man-sized and he happily put it on and began running it through all the tests there were to do that day. Over the course of the two days Steven began to suffer from headaches from wearing the Mark V but was told that it was simply his body adjusting to the neural interfacing unit this version of the X-O was equipped with and he had no reason to question it at that time.

A week after Steven had spent the days testing the Mark V; he was called in and told that the scientists declared the Mark V a success. Passing all the tests that had been set down and well above the parameters expected. It was at this point that the real reason for Steven’s being hired to do this job was revealed: the industrialist behind the project wanted to test Steven’s ability to use the Mark V and adjust the neural interface to his brainwaves so that Steven to run long term testing of the X-O suit. The only limit placed on the testing was that Steven couldn’t use the suit for criminal means, otherwise he was given free reign and was set up with a warehouse to work out of that he could make minor adjustments and repairs as needed during the course of his testing plus Steven was given a wage that put his past earnings to shame.

It took Steven no time at all to accept the offer and within a week he was in the news, fighting various wanted super criminals who were on the run from the law, Steven had decided to become a super bounty hunter; taking the money he earned and donating it to various charities and only keeping a small percent for his operating costs and soon became an internet favorite and developed a following of fans. He’s even attracted the attention of the Raven, who not 100% sure everything is what it seems (but really, when does she think anything is?). At first Steven was doing it all for the thrills and cash mostly but a funny thing started to happen as he continued to work, he found himself more concerned with the people he was helping and he started to look into villains who did have any open bounties on them.

He’s been based out of Freedom City his entire short career but most of the time he was traveling abroad chasing bounties. Recently he’s started to stay around town more and more, focusing on criminals there.

Secret bits wrote:Now for the interesting part. Steven is being played for a fool buy his backer.

The industrialist who brought Steven into the world of super heroes is none other than August Roman. He’s decided to deal with this latest generation of heroes with a new trick; he’ll back a hero of his own and spy on them for him.

It made sense given that most of those annoying do-gooders tend to gather together at one point or another eventually so he had the suit built with the latest micro-cameras that broadcast on a select frequency that only Roman can receive, seeing everything going on around Steven whenever the suit is activated.

Roman has also made sure that Steven is keeping his competition under control and limited in their ventures that infringe upon his. So even if his main goal doesn’t work how he’s expecting August has at least been able to maintain his influence in the underworld in yet another way that nobody can tie directly to him, let alone be aware of his being behind. The bonus part is that Steven is actually testing the armor for Roman, if he likes how it performs he will produce a large quantity for his own men to use, especially if it continues to show itself being able of dealing with superhumans so well.

I’ve found that I’m the kind of builder that once I have an idea pop into my head, no matter how tiny a detail it might be, I need to start working on it in some way. Even if all I have is a sentence about the power or personality (sometimes both, but most the time one or the other) but with Freelancer all I had was “Guy in armor that some mastermind criminal has hidden micro-cameras on that record everything going on around him to learn as much as he can about the other heroes active in the city.”

From there it was a struggle really to come up with the rest of Freelancer’s build, seriously I’m talking months. It was the idea I’d get one tiny bit, add it to my notes above the template I use for building that only had his name on it. I wanted Freelancer to be a small-town guy who wanted to get out and see the world and I figured that would only happen by joining the military, so that was step one in explaining a local boy from Kentucky was able to pilot power armor (I mean why doesn’t the military have big, exo-suits for specially trained soldiers to pilot? It makes sense in a comic world setting…that reminds me….I need to develop a few armors for the military in my setting world…anyways, back to the point.).

Then I found the picture of that Batman-like armor. Then I had a visual I could work with and my brain was off and within a day of finding that image I had Freelancer done. I thought pushing the more urban in its design lets Freelancer stand out a bit compared to other Battlesuit wearers whose suits are much more high tech overall. I like to think that its how he uses it that makes the difference, to Steven it’s just a tool, granted a very high powered tool, but still just a tool. Now he realizes the good he’s been able to do thanks to wearing the armor and would continue to try and be a hero even after the secret of the armor would finally be revealed.

-- Chiun

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Shen Sung

Post by Tattooedman » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:51 pm

Shen Sung:
PL:
Strength 3
Stamina 3
Agility 5
Dexterity 5
Fighting 4
Intellect 0
Awareness 2
Presence 0

Skills: Acrobatics 8 (+13), Athletics 6 (+9.), Expertise [Medicine] 3 (+3), Expertise [Streetwise] 6 (+8.), Insight 8 (+10), Investigation 8 (+8.), Perception 8 (+10), Stealth 8 (+13), Treatment 4 (+4), Vehicles [Land] 4 (+9)

Advantages: All-Out Attack, Close Attack 4, Contacts, Cunning Fighter, Defensive Roll 2, Equipment 2, Follow-Up Strike, Improved Disarm, Improved Feint, Improved Initiative, Instant Up, Language [Base: Mandarin; English], Last Stand, Lionheart, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Takedown 2, Uncanny Dodge

Powers: Tien-Hsueh Martial Style Array: (Innate)
Hawk’s Talon: Affliction 8 [Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated; resisted by Fortitude] (Extra: Progressive)
-Mantis Blow: Affliction 8 [Hindered, Immobilized, Paralyzed; resisted by Fortitude] (Extra: Cumulative)
-Nauseating Strike: Affliction 8 [Dazed, Defenseless, Incapacitated; resisted by Fortitude] (Extra: Cumulative)
-Nerve Blow: Affliction 8 [Hindered & Vulnerable, Defenseless & Immobilized; resisted by Fortitude] (Extra: Cumulative, Extra Condition); (Flaw: Limited Degree)
-Tiger’s Claw: Strength-Based Damage 5 (Feat: Improved Critical 4)

Offense: Initiative +9
Melee Attack +8
Ranged Attack +5

Defense: Dodge +11
Parry +11
Toughness +5*/+3 [*Defensive Roll]
Fortitude +8
Will +8

Equipment: Motorcycle

Costs: Abilities 44+ Skills 19+ Advantages 24+ Powers 29+ Defenses 20= 136 pts.

Height: 5’8”
Weight: 180 lbs
Hair: Black
Eye Color: Brown

Complications:
Honor: Protect the innocents (bystanders, particularly women and children).

Prejudice: Halfbreed (father is American).

Obsession: Justice for Carrie Lou.

Background: Shen Sung is the son of an American soldier and a local woman who spent most of his early life having his parentage held against him by most the other children. They would taunt him, tease him, even beat him sometimes, all except for Carrie Lou, she was always kind to Shen despite his roundeye father. Her gentleness, understanding, and caring helped Shen to see that there were good people in the world and though they were few and they should be protected. This in turn, drove him to become an member of the Chinese Intelligence, protecting the people of China from all who would try to do them harm. There he learned several things, like how to fight, how to drive, and how to recognize criminals and thugs almost on sight. The hardest part was the learning of Tien-Hsueh, the touching of vital points. It required Shen to spend several years studying the workings of the body and how to manipulate it for various effects. This was done since most situations would require him to not carry a weapon of any kind on his person, thus Shen needed to know how to handle multiple opponents, quickly and efficiently, without any question as to his ability to win.

Over the years Shen was able to keep in contact with Carrie though their time together was always short and years apart, they were important to Shen. Carrie always held a special place in his heart, she was the inspiration for his life and he was always grateful to her for that.

When Shen learned of Carrie’s death and the circumstances behind it, he almost fell apart. How could someone be so cruel and heartless to hurt such a pure spirit, let alone end her life and all the good she was capable of? Shen took a leave of absence from Intelligence to attend Carrie’s funeral; it was there that he met others who had been touched by Carrie’s grace. They realized that something needed to be done to at least try and attempt to make things right for the loss of someone so good for the world.

They needed to kill the person responsible for killing Carrie Lou.

Shen was a different kind of character for me in that he wasn’t a superhero at all. In fact he’s the only ~normal~ (note the emphasis here) character I’ve played as a PC.

Hong Kong Action was a pretty straightforward themed game: build characters around the archetypes seen in many a Chow Yun-fat/Jet Li movie and have them come together to avenge the loss of someone who was very close and important to all of them.

I think Hong Kong Action officially holds the highest body count collected by a group of PCs. It was a great game, the GM made sure to give all 7 of the players (yes, that’s right 7 total. Even if someone dropped out as it fit the overall theme & tone of the game so there had to be 7 PCs) time to shine in multiple ways several times.

I saw what many characters who were expert marksmen or good with guns and swords but nobody really tried for a straight up martial artist; so that’s how I came up with Shen’s concept. I realized right away that with Shen being so focused on hand-to-hand that he’d be at a disadvantage for a round or two until he could get close on his opponents so I made sure his defenses were high and that he was built to tear mooks & minions to shreds.

Yep, I built the team goonsweeper and I had a complete blast with it. Course it really helped that I get into a good martial arts movie from time to time so I found myself really enjoying sitting down & describing the moves and attacks that Shen did. I think that’s part of the trick to really liking the character you are playing: figure out what their “thing” in the game is going to be and stick with it. That’s the best advice I can ever offer anyone who wants to play in a PbP game. You get out of it what you put into it.

At one point I even considered talking to the GM about having Shen die in the last scene of the adventure but by that point we were working with only half the original PCs so I decided against it, BUT I’d have done since it made sense in the theme & tone of the game we were playing in. That’s how committed I am to staying in character & wanting to tell a good story.

-- Chiun

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Imbolic

Post by Tattooedman » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:27 pm

Imbolic:
PL:
Strength 2
Stamina 5 (2)
Agility 2
Dexterity 2
Fighting 8
Intellect 0
Awareness 2
Presence 0

Skills: Expertise [History] 10 (+10), Expertise [Magic] 12 (+12), Insight 9 (+11), Intimidation 8 (+8.), Perception 9 (+11), Persuasion 8 (+8.), Stealth 8 (+10)

Advantages: Eidetic Memory, Improved Initiative 2, Luck [Determination] 2, Luck [Determined Recovery], Luck [Inspired], Ritualist, Task Focus [Knowledge (History): Civilizations of the Past]

Powers: Heart of Fire:Enhanced Advantages 2 [Diehard, Great Endurance]
Skin of Stone:
Enhanced Stamina 3
Protection 5
Channeling the Prime Elements:
Elemental Manifestation: Ranged Damage 10 (Extras: Penetrating, Shapeable); (Feat: Variable Descriptor x3 [any element {air/earth/fire/water}])
-Elemental Shaping: Create 10 (Extra: Moveable); (Feat: Precise)
-Fury of the Elements: Audio & Visual Affliction 8 [Impaired, Disabled, Unaware; resisted by Fortitude] (Extras: Area [Burst], Cumulative, Extra Condition, Selective); (Feats: Reversible, Variable Descriptor x3 [any element {air/earth/fire/water}])
-Elemental Might: Move Object 10 (Extra: Perception); (Feat: Precise)
-Element's Grasp: Ranged Affliction 10 [Hindered & Vulnerable, Defenseless & Immobilized; resisted by Dodge] (Extras: Cumulative, Extra Condition); (Feats: Accurate 4, Variable Descriptor x3 [any element {air/earth/fire/water}]); (Flaw: Limited Degree)
-Element's Wrath: Damage 10 (Extra: Penetrating); (Feat: Improved Critical 4, Variable Descriptor x3 [any element {air/earth/fire/water}])
-Elemental Gate: Teleport 8 (Extras: Accurate, Portal); (Feats: Change Direction, Change Velocity)

Offense: Initiative +10
Melee Attack +8
Ranged Attack +2

Defense: Dodge +10
Parry +10
Toughness +10
Fortitude +10
Will +10

Costs: Abilities 36+ Skills 21+ Advantages 8+ Powers 62+ Defenses 23= 150 pts.

Height: 6’
Weight: 190 lbs
Eye Color: Brown [glow green when using powers]

Complications:
Guilt: Dylanfeels that he should have done something more to prevent the loss the other members of the archeological dig where he gained his powers.

Motivation ~Responsibility of Power: Dylan realizes that his powers allow him to make a difference in the lives of others and accepts that responsibility.

Background: There are many who deal in the realms of magic, though not many can say that they’ve dealt with the Prime Elements and managed to survive (case in point: the Factor Four are each touched by one of them and lost their bodies, now physically representing those four elements and have spent decades trying to reclaim their flesh and blood bodies to no avail). However for Dylan Odom that’s not the case.

He and the other members of the archeological dig he was working on discovered a hidden temple in South America that was covered in markings that dedicated it to the worship of nature and the elements Dylan knew they’d found something that remarkable. Instead what they found inside was a collection of various traps and puzzles that slowly thinned out the group that traveled through the temple until only Dylan and two others were left. What they found at the heart of the temple were four stones, placed atop small pillars in a room that had clearly been used for worship, almost like the past inhabitants of this region built the temple gave praise to the four stones. Among the writings Dylan and the others found in the main room they found that this was a place that worshipped the Prime Elements -Earth, Water, Air and Fire.

But when one of the others reached out to touch the one of the presented stones, all four of them came alive with energies that poured into all three explorers, filling them all with the energies of their assorted elements. When it was all said and done only Dylan had somehow survived the ordeal, his two companions had been reduced to little more than ash on the floor and the four stones had disapeared. He stumbled his way out of the temple only to be found by Adrian Eldrich, Earth’s Master Mage, who had become aware of the gems that were linked to the Prime Elements and was moving to halt their potential threat before anyone was hurt.

Seeing the tattered remains of Dylan’s clothing and sensing the newly empowered nature within him, Eldrich offered him a place to go and recover as well as the promise of an explanation of what had just happened to him. Hours later Dylan still couldn’t believe that he was the only survivor of the expedition, which had numbered around thirty total between the other archeologists and the workers they’d hired, and that he was now somehow a conduit for the energies that had claimed the lives of his last two companions.

There was much he didn’t understand but as his emotions began to shift from the stress he had been suppressing, Dylan found himself suddenly throwing fire and moving the very ground beneath his feet. Eldrich was able to calm Dylan down and explain to him that he now walked a different path and needed to be instructed on it’s finer points, offering the younger man a place in his home until he was able to control the energies he now held inside his body. Seeing no other choice as he’d otherwise be a threat to those around him, Dylan accepted the offer and so began his time as a student of Eldrich. After spending several years learning how to properly control the elemental forces that now are a part of his body, Dylan has taken his leave of Eldrich’s home eager to continue following his path to wherever it may lead him.
I’ve said it before that I’ve done a few builds simply because of an idea I got from looking at a picture. Well Imbolic is one of those builds, kind of. Let me explain.

For those of you who haven’t ever read anything of the Project Freedom game, the character Zalman was from another dimension and I’d always thought it’d be interesting to see his counterpart from the main setting but that sadly never happened. Then a while later, well after I’d already been running a couple games in my own WOF setting, I ran across this picture and guess what I thought of?

Yep. My setting’s version of Zalman.

I mean I already had the other dimensional version running around (thanks again Jalinth) and still thought it was an interesting idea so I started writing him up. One thing I wanted to do was have my version be familiar but powered somewhat differently and after going through all the books I had from the WOF setting (2E at that point) I remembered the Prime Elements. The build came together pretty quick, one of my fastest as I recall.

I still haven’t really figured a way to introduce Imbolic into the setting officially yet but when I do I hope I do Zalman some justice.
Last edited by Tattooedman on Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

-- Chiun