The Crinoverse 2 (End of Part 2)

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Demonicuss Krinn
Hireling
Hireling

The Broken City: The Fallen Angel

Postby Demonicuss Krinn » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:13 pm

The Fallen Angel

Appropriate music while you read

So, the Fallen Angel. The one who fell from the sky and wound up the leader of the Broken City.

What is he? A robot, of sorts.

Where did he come from? An alternate dimension. Something happened, and he "fell" (along with one small scrap of a creature) from his realm to the Crinosverse, and crash landed in Death Valley, where he was found by the damaged robots who'd eventually form the Broken City. They helped him, "named" him in a sense, and in turn he helped them set up the City, and eventually became a leader.

What's he doing now? Besides helping the City, trying to figure out what to do. He is an outsider from another dimension. And the sad part is, while his home (home planet, to be specific) is here in the Crinosverse, it's not really his home. Things are...different there. The ones he knew, his allies, his minions, his enemies, ...all different. He's trying to keep a watch on them, along with their representatives on Earth, trying to figure out if they're an eventual threat to be destroyed, an indifference to be ignored, or possibly... allies.

As for the residents of Earth, the humans...Hate may be a strong word. He remembers his home, where he left to rush to some distant backwater to find the one thing to bring life back to his world...and falling. He remembers the natives of the planet swarming to him...and putting him in a living coma, where he saw and felt them rip him open, pull him apart and make new tools and weapons from his insides.

That infuriated him beyond words. And when he was re-awoken, his fury and vengeance was swift and vast - and then cut short.

Now, years and more falls later, he's in the Crinosverse, and while these human's didn't hurt him, he still carries old grudges. Plus, the Fallen Angel notes, this world has something his doesn't - superheros. Lots of superheros. Some of them, perhaps, could be a match for him.

So, he works on the City, and wonders what to do. He's focusing on the residents of the Broken City, these damaged robots, just like him. And what to do with the Broken City? How shall it go on?

In case you're wondering who exactly the Fallen Angel is, and why I haven't really described what he looks like, I don't need to. I already posted pics of him. (That, and the hint about how Swindle is scared of him - because Swindle recognizes him) And as for what to do with the City, it's still unknown. Will it eventually move someplace more remote (under the ocean, perhaps?) to keep possible enemies away? Will the Fallen Angel decide to move off-planet with the City, to create a new home to replace his original lost home? Or will he carve out their territory by force, and maybe expand? Will the Crinosverse wake up to a new nation of machines in it's backyard, with a leader who is willing and able to fight to protect those under his care?

Will one day the Crinosverse hear, "Long Live the Broken Nation! Long Live the Fallen Angel!"

...All Hail Megatron.

I suppose explanations are in order. On an IRC chat, I was linked to I actually kind of appreciate the Transformers movies., a discussion of the Bayverse Transformers movies with probably more thought and discussion then Bay probably put in 'em. It was reading this that inspired me to bring the Bayverse Megatron here. So, for those of you keeping track at home, the Crinosverse now has three Megatrons.

SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: The Crinoverse 2 (Vigilantes International)

Postby SilvercatMoonpaw » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:53 pm

Seeing as how we've got some character 70 million years in the past I might as well ask Crinos if he's had time to see Terra Nova (at least the opening movie)? I ended up not quite so impressed with the arc premise, unfortunately. It's just.......They had dinosaurs and went with that kind of story?

But I still love the image of some heroes encountering the group and (in my version) finding out they're not in the past but instead in the past-infested Lost World dimension.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Re: The Broken City: The Fallen Angel

Postby Voltron64 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:59 pm

Demonicuss Krinn wrote:The Fallen Angel

Appropriate music while you read

So, the Fallen Angel. The one who fell from the sky and wound up the leader of the Broken City.

What is he? A robot, of sorts.

Where did he come from? An alternate dimension. Something happened, and he "fell" (along with one small scrap of a creature) from his realm to the Crinosverse, and crash landed in Death Valley, where he was found by the damaged robots who'd eventually form the Broken City. They helped him, "named" him in a sense, and in turn he helped them set up the City, and eventually became a leader.

What's he doing now? Besides helping the City, trying to figure out what to do. He is an outsider from another dimension. And the sad part is, while his home (home planet, to be specific) is here in the Crinosverse, it's not really his home. Things are...different there. The ones he knew, his allies, his minions, his enemies, ...all different. He's trying to keep a watch on them, along with their representatives on Earth, trying to figure out if they're an eventual threat to be destroyed, an indifference to be ignored, or possibly... allies.

As for the residents of Earth, the humans...Hate may be a strong word. He remembers his home, where he left to rush to some distant backwater to find the one thing to bring life back to his world...and falling. He remembers the natives of the planet swarming to him...and putting him in a living coma, where he saw and felt them rip him open, pull him apart and make new tools and weapons from his insides.

That infuriated him beyond words. And when he was re-awoken, his fury and vengeance was swift and vast - and then cut short.

Now, years and more falls later, he's in the Crinosverse, and while these human's didn't hurt him, he still carries old grudges. Plus, the Fallen Angel notes, this world has something his doesn't - superheros. Lots of superheros. Some of them, perhaps, could be a match for him.

So, he works on the City, and wonders what to do. He's focusing on the residents of the Broken City, these damaged robots, just like him. And what to do with the Broken City? How shall it go on?

In case you're wondering who exactly the Fallen Angel is, and why I haven't really described what he looks like, I don't need to. I already posted pics of him. (That, and the hint about how Swindle is scared of him - because Swindle recognizes him) And as for what to do with the City, it's still unknown. Will it eventually move someplace more remote (under the ocean, perhaps?) to keep possible enemies away? Will the Fallen Angel decide to move off-planet with the City, to create a new home to replace his original lost home? Or will he carve out their territory by force, and maybe expand? Will the Crinosverse wake up to a new nation of machines in it's backyard, with a leader who is willing and able to fight to protect those under his care?

Will one day the Crinosverse hear, "Long Live the Broken Nation! Long Live the Fallen Angel!"

...All Hail Megatron.

I suppose explanations are in order. On an IRC chat, I was linked to I actually kind of appreciate the Transformers movies., a discussion of the Bayverse Transformers movies with probably more thought and discussion then Bay probably put in 'em. It was reading this that inspired me to bring the Bayverse Megatron here. So, for those of you keeping track at home, the Crinosverse now has three Megatrons.

Can you say gestalt entity built from all three?
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby SilvercatMoonpaw » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:02 pm

Voltron64 wrote:Can you say gestalt entity built from all three?

It would immediately explode from the ego.

Yeoman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Yeoman » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:38 pm

Voltron64 wrote:Can you say gestalt entity built from all three?

I'm actually not certain who is more Dangerous, Animated Megs or BW Megs. BW Megs has better long term planning and is smarter, but Animated Megatron managed to be the single most dangerous being the show while being a head in a lab.

Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kreuzritter » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:56 pm

i'd say its a three way tie between them and TF: Prime's megatron
Kreuz Control Promotions: over 2800 builds served, and counting...
Crinoverse: Contributions

Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Crinos » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:52 pm

SilvercatMoonpaw wrote:Seeing as how we've got some character 70 million years in the past I might as well ask Crinos if he's had time to see Terra Nova (at least the opening movie)? I ended up not quite so impressed with the arc premise, unfortunately. It's just.......They had dinosaurs and went with that kind of story?

But I still love the image of some heroes encountering the group and (in my version) finding out they're not in the past but instead in the past-infested Lost World dimension.

I have not seen Terra Nova, probably will not, because it sounded like it was really dumb.

And yeah, its a good thing they didn't go to Earth's past, cause they would have found the Yithians and flying Polyps waiting for them.

The Yithians would probably have been cool (They are the closest thing to a "Good" race in Lovecraft's work (And their response to impending extinction is to evacuate their current bodies and let someone else deal with it. They condemned two different races to extinction that we know of), but the Polyps would be killing them right and left.

Demonicuss Krinn
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Demonicuss Krinn » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:47 pm

I'm actually somewhat relieved that finally, after my post from the 5th, there's response/activity in the thread. Thought somehow the Fallen Angel stunned possible chat.

So, new things to talk about/probably add to the Crinosverse:

* Grifters - I may have said this before, but Deadlands is the game that got me hooked on RPGs. Kinda shows that, when I decided to add to the Crinosverse, it was adding the Hucksters. Well, Deadlands Noir is coming out in a week (already out for those who kickstarted, like me), and of the new Arcane Backgrounds it has, Grifters are kinda like a subset or possible evolution of the Hucksters, so I should include them. But since the pdf won't be available for purchase to the general public until next week, I feel I should hold off until then.

* The Harrowed - again, the Deadlands fan wants to add in more Deadlands stuff, this time with those zombies with delusions of grandeur, the Harrowed. However, I get the feeling if I do, I'll be opening up a can of worms, as I feel eventually the Harrowed will be the forecomers of bad times for Planet Crinos.

* Superf***ers! - Because with the Super Homeys gone (NOTE: I never read Empowered), we need a new group of superpowered folks who waste their powers hanging around the clubhouse, waking up late and getting high before breakfast. (PS Read the comic. LAUGH)

So, sometime next week, Grifters.

SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby SilvercatMoonpaw » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:46 am

Crinos wrote:I have not seen Terra Nova, probably will not, because it sounded like it was really dumb.

The first episode is kind of okay.

Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kreuzritter » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:28 am

as some of you have expressed interest, the signup thread for Bay City Sentinels is up
Kreuz Control Promotions: over 2800 builds served, and counting...
Crinoverse: Contributions

Demonicuss Krinn
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Demonicuss Krinn » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:58 pm

Kinda sorta on and off topic, but artwork for the Fate Core kickstarter was revealed, and anyone on this thread who's wondering "What's with the Feng Shui RPG that Krinn talks about?"

This pic should help explain things.

Monsters, zombies, kung-fu cyborg gorillas, magic cops, and MORE!

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EnigmaticOne » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:46 pm

Yeah, I backed the Kickstarter.
Impeach the peach!

Demonicuss Krinn
Hireling
Hireling

Hucksters and Grifters

Postby Demonicuss Krinn » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:14 pm

Grifters - A Deadly Powerful Scam

Remember the Hucksters? I talked about 'em, feel free to search the thread to get a refresher.

Back in the early and mid 30s, post Great War, in the middle of the Great Depression, life was pretty hard out there. It was even harder for Hucksters, as they were being hunted down by the Guv'ment men. Why? Figure it from their point of view - people are starving, and desperate. And if these desperate people found out that if you squinted your eyes while reading Hoyle's Book of Games, you could summon manitous for fun and profit. Chaos would run wild nationwide, so for the good of the masses, the Man dropped the Hammer on Hucksters. They were either caught and thrown in special prisons for the arcane (or just disappeared), or run out of the States. Plus, any and all copies of Hoyle's were found and burnt, to keep the secrets of manitou contacting hidden.

All as the Spellborn wanted. It was they who were ultimately behind the Huckster Pogrom, to get those "spell-cheating muggles" out of their hair.

So, with that background, let's move to 1935.

Jack Emmert and the Grift

Jack Emmert was a conman, drifter, and hustler, who made his money bilking suckers and rubes. He was running the pool halls in Texas when a mark paid him off, not in cash, but something he said was more valuable - a dinged up copy of a certain book of card games. Being a smart cookie, Jack soon decoded the book and found out about the Ways of the Huckster. He also got the wrong sort of attention from Texas Rangers, and barely avoided getting nabbed as he headed to Native American Reservations to lay low.

While in the reservations, he observed the Shamans commune with the spirits, and for the gruesome price of self-sacrifice and self-mutilation, gained powerful magic. Jack started thinking. He wanted power and magic, sure who doesn't? But he wasn't too crazy about gambling his soul to demons, or chopping off his fingers. So, he plotted, and observed, and soon realized that what the manitous and the spirits really wanted was an act of personal sacrifice. But Jack realized that sacrifice could take many forms. Some shamans inhaled toxic tobacco smoke, or ate peyote to go on vision quests. And the Hucksters often got power with no sacrifice other than the risk of damage via Backlash.

So Jack started experimenting. He called upon the spirits, and started to perform a number of vices to see if any of them could appease them. But the manitous didn't care if he nipped from the bottle every now and then, or ended up puking his guts from peyote. It was when he gambled - his one true addiction - than the spirits paid attention. And the bigger the gamble, the more they came - and the more power they offered.

Once he got the ways down, Jack left the reservations, and when the Rangers (and some Spellborn agents) came after him, Jack has the power to defend himself. While on the run, Jack taught others "the Grift". It spread fast; there was no book to read (or to be destroyed), and those who had the talent didn't need to spend time decoding hexes. All they had to do was embrace their most destructive vices, and they were off to the races, in a metaphysical sense. Some Grifters went their own way, some decided to find and help the Hucksters, being they were like their spiritual grandpas 'n such.

The Spellborn were, naturally, pissed off.

Jack Emmert vanished shortly afterwards. The only thing people knew was he was heading to California, to "work the greatest grift of all."

Grifters - the Down Low

As you may have figured, Grifters have a Vice they need to tap into to cast hexes. They don't have to overindulge, or even gain satisfaction from it. It's the act itself, the spiritual sacrifice that allows them access to magical power. Each Grifter can only have one Vice, and it must be addictive, either physically or psychologically. Drugs, booze, gambling, chasing the dames (or joes), if it's going to end up costing you in the long run, it's your Vice. And you have to engage in it daily, otherwise the magickal floodgates gets closed down to a trickle until you indulge again.

Grifter magic, like Huckster hexes, have tells to them. The tells are tied to the chosen Vice. Examples could be glowing craps dice that explode (gives new meaning to "roll for Magic Missile, eh?"), or a boozer's magical confusion hex makes the sucker all tipsy. Or if you can't think of a decent trapping, it's a dark purplish haze or glow.

Overdose

Good news, Grifters don't have to deal with the Huckster's terrible Backlash. They got something equally terrible to deal with. See, once they start Grifting, their Vice doesn't seem all that satisfying. The booze looses a bit of it's kick, the thrill of winning a gamble is slightly diminished, etc. Most Grifters think it's because that bit of sin is being channeled into the Other Side, to help pay for their magic. If that's true, then it comes back when they royally botch a hex - big time. Grifters face Overdose, as all that built up Vice blasts them back. Results aren't pretty. From physical pain, to crippling addictions, to slowly (or swiftly) killing the unfortunate Grifter.

So, who want's to gamble? Let the Sin Begin, so to say...

Demonicuss Krinn
Hireling
Hireling

Re: The Crinoverse 2 (Merry Christmas)

Postby Demonicuss Krinn » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:17 pm

With that out of the way, Merry Christmas! I give you the gift of somewhat salty language.

SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby SilvercatMoonpaw » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:54 pm

WARNING: This post contains spoilers for a webcomic called AmazonEss.

The Adventure Patrol

The Hazardverse{1} is a pretty isolated place: few outsiders have visited, and even fewer know it exists. Still “pretty isolated” is not “completely isolated”, and since cosmic power levels don’t exist in the Hazardverse they’d likely get their butts handed to them in a straight-up fight. With the events of the recent Aum-Ra visit Doc Hazard has determined that the best course of action is for the dimension to get out and see the rest of the multiverse.

{1} The Hazardverse is a dimension where there is no such thing as “outer space” and everyone lives on a crustal surface (atmosphere, land, water, underneath) that exists in endless folds and loops. Many supernatural forces also operate differently: there is no “mundane/magic” divide and “god” is a title rather than a type of being.

To that end she called on some contacts and put together a team. But the Adventure Patrol isn’t intended as a reactionary force only going after stuff that invades their dimension: their mission is to be pro-active, to stumble into inter-dimensional threats and de-threat-ize them especially if it’s before they can do any harm anywhere.

The first people Doc Hazard contacted actually have a history with Earth-409: for a brief period in the late 40s they posed as alien superheroes in southern California calling themselves The Travelers. Unfortunately Earth wasn’t ready for non-human supers, so the four hopped the next travel method off the planet and eventually found their way home. Ironically their outsider status so early in super history has given them a cult following in the modern day.

Bast: Everyone upon meeting Bast understand why she’s the team face: very few people can stand up to the withering assault of charm and friendliness, the out-going personality that isn’t self-conscious. Plus her flashy clothes, small frame, anthropomorphic{2} housecat features help make her distinctly non-threatening.

This also means many people underestimate her. Which can be annoying, but Bast finds it’s also useful when a villain gets a sun flare right in the face. Because even though she doesn’t have much raw power all that self-confidence means Bast can be dedicated to the point unstoppability: she may not be able to blast or ram her way through an obstacle, but anything or anyone in her way soon finds out why having to think though one problem makes you good at overcoming others. She does have some ability to control solar energy in the form of a mystical substance called sunfire, but she rarely relies on it.

Bast once tried wearing an Egyptian-themed costume back during her Traveler days, but it was just “stylistically stupid” and at that time there wasn’t anyone on Earth who could make white linen and costume jewelry that could stand up to her relentlessness. These days she just uses a standard superhero suits in her colors of red, green, and white, though looser fit to account for her fur, and magic jeweled bangles on each wrist and ankle.

Bast is quite the momma-bear despite having no children of her own (yet). She makes up for this by taking in every stray the team runs across. No villain ever has to learn more than once not to mess with her children, or indeed any children when she’s around.

For fun she likes to drag her husband Anubis to Earth furry conventions.

{2} In the Hazardverse all “humanoid” creatures are referred to as “pan (adj. panian)”.

Anubis: It’s quite a puzzle to many people how Bast ended up with someone like Anubis: She’s outgoing, he’s shy. She likes being around a lot of people at once, he doesn’t like crowds. She likes to be noticed, he doesn’t. She’s confident, he’s awkward……except when it comes to mysteries. Then Anubis changes completely, becoming all focus. He’s still not really the brooding dark sort of costumed detective, though, which combined with his usual personality -- and black anthropomorphic black jackal body -- makes him a lot more huggable than most.

That focus is Anubis’s special ability: while he is minorly proficient in various magics he prefers not to have to use them. Careful detective work and a brilliant mind (with special emphasis on the processes of life and death) solve most of his problems, and if he does need to incapacitate someone his vast medical knowledge allows him to do so with minimal harm by martial art or substance.

These days Anubis dresses in the same style as Bast but in colors of blue, green, and yellow. He used to have something more Egyptian-themed in the Golden Age, but that was Bast’s idea and he dropped it enthusiastically as soon as she discarded hers.

Most of the time Anubis acts like he wished the entire multiverse would calm down so he could spend a day “being bored for once”. Whatever time he gets free is usual devoted to some slow, careful activity like a science experiment, restoring some old artifact like a book, or studying the latest research, alone for preference. With the running gag being someone always interrupts him. It might seem odd that these two very different individuals could find enough reason to be a couple, but who’ve been around Anubis long enough realize he has god-like patience, which may be just the thing one needs when married to a force of nature like Bast.

His greatest professed problem is that since he’s become a sexual icon for the furry community Bast insists on dressing him in something minimal and dragging him to conventions so fangirls (and fanboys, Anubis doesn’t care about the gender part) can squeal and blush over him.

Mystery: Of the original Travelers Bast, Anubis, and B-movie were the heroes. Mystery was their pet-mascot. The general public had no idea he could talk, but anyone with a modicum of sense realized soon after meeting him that he was just as intelligent as anyone else. Really it was just a manifestation of one of the many quirks about the amorphous beast: he’s not good at verbal communication. Facial expression, body language, and non-verbal sounds are how he normally comments, but when nothing else will work he’ll use words, though it may be in broken and erratic speech. His method serves him just fine, however, as he sees many things normal people talk over as kind of silly.

Physically it’s not hard to see why people might mistake what Mystery is: the form he uses in social situations is that of the pokemon Umbreon, without the glowing rings and eyes of blue rather than red. He’s been known to assume others on occasion, but as this one is his most common people imagine this must be his true. In reality Mystery is a several-different-colors-of-black……thing (actually a demon{3}). A few too many viewers evoke HP Lovecraft or similar horror, but the best non-horror answer is of uncountable numbers of long, sharp leaves stitched into each other and zig-zag vibrating like something off an EKG readout until it forms....well, okay, it's form keeps changing. Obviously Mystery tones this down into a vaguely generic shadow when he has to be in public like this. The freak show actually serves a purpose, though: Mystery can only utilize his best powers, super-speed and elasticity, in shadow form.

Beyond superheroing Mystery spends his time by sticking his nose into things. He likes to explore new places whenever he gets the chance. And with super-speed that’s a lot of places. It also extends to investigating mysteries, but without Anubis’s super-focus. This has gotten the team into quite a few of their adventures.

Despite the fact that he really doesn’t like to get involved he’s been the one called on to arbitrate any Bast/Anubis discussion since 1947. Emulating the younger heroes are now also going to Mystery with their conflicts, which he alternatingly finds hilarious and annoying.

{3} Demons in the Hazardverse are any spirit which meddle in the affairs of other beings. While this means they can be malevolent, they are just as often given the job of scaring other spirits to keep them in line.

B-Movie: Is a 7-foot organic robot mutant green alien insect man cooler than a thing made out of vibrating shadows? Flame wars have actually started over this. Back before the Internet ever existed. And said 7-foot organic robot green alien insect man is continuously astonished that his popularity has grown so much. But then it’s always been preferable to being seen as a giant monster: back when he came to Earth in the 1950s he was subjected to the usual “scary alien, must be invading” behavior.

B-Movie really does look like he came out of a cheesy sci-fi flick from the 50s and 60s: he’s basically human-shaped, with green chitinous armor that looks a bit more like rubber with a few insect-like flourishes, and a muzzled head with two slitted red eyes that could only be called insectoid because it’s angular and has antennae. The “organic robot” part comes because even though B-Movie’s organs are biological they have a unique self-contained structure that allows them to be put into a dormant state and safely removed or swapped without harming the system as a whole. His whole species is like this (though not always looking like it came out of a b-movie) back in the Hazardverse.

B-Movie’s construction makes him one of the toughest and strongest of the team, meaning he functions as a powerhouse when needed. But his true talent is in SCIENCE! Making and repairing wondrous devices, puzzling out mysteries that break the laws of how the world is supposed to work{4}. (Also causing troublesome accidents: it’s why they call it “mad” science.) He’s got a personality to match the all capital letters, which can compliment or compensate for his appearance.

{4} Ironically in the Hazardverse this is a respected discipline.........in some places.

Artemis: Sometimes in the seventh century BC Ser the Ancient{5} stumbled across a city of Amazons who were being encroached upon by the various patriarchies surrounding them. Knowing that the Hazardverse was a safer place but wouldn’t rattle them too much he transported them and their brother tribe called the Gargareans with the aid of their goddess: Artemis.

But this “Artemis” is not the one of Greek myth: she was a hanger-on to the original, but wanted to be more militant in bucking the patriarchy. Discovering a village where the women were treated poorly she appeared to them as Artemis and had them revolt against the menfolk. From then on she posed as Artemis to this tribe.........and the Greek pantheon let her get away with it since it meant one more group of warrior women to scare people with (also probably the whole lesbian thing: we all know Greek gods are pervs).

Losing her cosmic power and having to rely on a host of spirits to play god was a bit of a shock, but Artemis had already mellowed somewhat on her militant ways by allowing men who lived as women into the society. Eventually she gave up being a god altogether (which unfortunately allowed a schism between the dual-gender Hyppolatans and the gender-purist Gallifems/Muscarites). Because of this she’s not sure she’s really comfortable returning to universes where cosmic eternals reign.

This Artemis is as much a melee warrior and hand-to-hand fighter as a trick-arrow archer. She also looks quite different from the traditional image of Artemis: she’s tall and husky with darker skin and boyish-cut light-blue hair. She’s also a lot more personable than the original, being more boisterous and certainly not a virgin. She doesn’t hate men anymore, either.

{5} Ser the Ancient is the last remaining member of the original non-evil serpentfolk. He’s been adventuring around the multiverse since before humans existed, knows lots of stuff, and is generally all-around badass.

Boulder: People who first encounter Boulder as a superhero usually make the mistake of taking her appearance as an indicator of what her super traits are: as a tall, thick near-anthropomorphic white bovine with a Buddha belly they assume she must be some sort of brick or bulk. While she is indeed strong and tough for a human, neither of these are in the super range. Instead she is a martial artist: a master of muscle-powered weapons, from clubs to polearms to throwing blades. Though if things do come down to hand-to-hand she’s not adverse to making use of her bulk. In fact that problem may be that her code name is an abbreviation for a title she was given by her fellow martial artists to honor her mastery of her family’s signature move: Boulder that Falls from the Heavens.

In fact it was this move which caused Master Boulder (real name Nanda Asura), in a freak interdimensional intersection of energies, to collide with a Feng Shui portal and land in Ani-Earth’s Iron Khanate. There she stumbled into the usual “disguised kung-fu master defends peasants from corrupt ruler’s thugs” situation and was captured by the Iron Khanstrictor’s gorilla goons and taken to his palace, where she met the White Leopard Society on her way out and they were able to send her home. She related this experience to Omni and Shinchuu when they stayed at the Jade Palace in the Middle Kingdom, who brought it to Doc Hazard’s attention.

In her non-hero, non-training time she takes up painting with a vigorous, energetic style she’s derived from her weapons expertise. She’s very much a laughing Buddha character, cheerfully encouraging tolerance and generosity among everyone she meets. She spends a lot of time with Mystery, both because she likes his personality and to nudge him into better expressing himself to others.

Hania: A long time ago the people of Hyrune were plagued by malevolent ghosts, until their princess made the dangerous journey to the land of ghosts and stole the secret of their phantom flames, trapping it inside lanterns and allowing her people to use its magic. Ever since each prospective lantern bearer has had to make the same journey in a vision quest to obtain the magical flame for their own lantern.

Hania must have taken a wrong turn, because he soon found himself following a ghost down into the depths of a sea that was filled with ruins and all manner of half-glimpsed nightmarish creatures. He wandered about, lost, until he was able to follow another ghost to a half-submerged city called Atlantis. There everyone thought he was from Hyrule, a place Hania had thought was just a myth from the Legend of Zelda cycle. But when he finally met Hyrulians in the video game district there was indeed too much resemblance to be a coincidence. Enough that with a little help in sorting through the many storylines and fan creations Hania was able to piece together the way home, and with a truly unique poe flame in the process. Therefore it wasn’t too much effort for Doc Hazard to convince him that more visits outside home might help unravel the truth of Hyrune’s origins.

Hania’s got the best stealth on the team, and that’s even before he uses his ghostly cloaking powers (you have to be pretty good to stay sane in the Imagerial Depths). He’s still pretty novice in other areas, but he’s got a keen mind and can sometimes function as the know-stuff person when Anubis isn’t around. He’s pretty androgenous (and as a Hyrunea teen his elf-like looks didn’t need any help in that regard), enough that he prefers wearing gender-neutral or womens’ clothes just because he looks stupid in anything tailored for men.

Mon: Found in the wild by a bunch of monsters{6} and raised her in their wildly mixed community they named her after the sound with which she always punctuated her sentences: “mon”, which they thought was her trying to say “monster”. When she grew up Mon decided she wanted to go out and see all the kinds of monsters there were in the world. It wasn’t too hard to tag along with adventuring groups, since not only was she a physical match for many monsters but could also talk to them (those who were willing to talk, anyway).

It was during a visit with her sun spirit horse friends in Kursan that she ran across a group of ponies on an expedition to find the legendary Lost Temple of the Mother of All Monsters. Since that was exactly the kind of thing Mon did she tagged along, endless pestering the group with questions especially the odd duo of Omen and Shiny. Obviously Omen and Shiny were Omni and Shinchuu, on a quest from Doc Hazard to look up an old friend. The Lost Temple turned out to be an old lab of one of their old circle of advanced alien scientists..........and conveniently the source the bad guys they’d been fighting for a few months got their mutagens.

A battle ensued, during which one of the bad guys took Mon hostage. The lab did not respond well. It turned him into a newt. (Okay, a giant fire-newt. But he was still sufficiently pacified.)

Turns out the old friend was none other than Mon. According to Doc Hazard Mon prefers to occasionally rejuvenate into a new life rather than live continuously. This shocked Mon for exactly 3 seconds, after which she decided she really didn’t care. What was more important was that Omni and Shinchuu were from another whole dimension full of new monsters to meet (they tried to tell her it wasn’t that simple, but Mon has a habit of not listening).

Mon is slowly discovering an ability to change shape into various kinds of monster. They have nowhere near the variety of Chris’ shapeshifting and it requires a lot of time to switch which she can access from her default yellow-haired catgirl form. She really doesn't need them, since her "raised in the wild" nature makes her more than useful anyway.

{6} Where Mon comes from “monster” is used to refer to any type of being with inherently super-normal abilities.

Chris: Chris’s story is quite simple: she’s a narrian{7} dog who was caught in an explosion involving special crystals made from the interconnectedness of all things in the Hazardverse and gained shapeshifting and telepathic powers, spent some time “spying” on the super-spy police agency known as LANTERN, then got to hang out with the Avengers. Unfortunately her experience on Earth convinced her she really didn’t want to be any sort of super-powered agent. So what made her change her mind and join the Adventure Patrol?

Lurv.

Chris’s Doc Hazard transport home didn’t quite go all the way through, and she ended up captured and enslaved to serve as the "pet" of a vain and cruel V'hanian noble named Nee'an who fancied himself an interdimensional conquerer. And then she was rescued by the most heroic of dogs: Spinner (oh, yes, and some other Earth-409 heroes). It was love at first sight (well, sniff). Spinner's not even weirded out by the fact she can change into human-like forms. There was no way Chris was going to get stuck in her home dimension and lose out on this piece of tail.

Chris is still the hyper-curious person she was when she joined the Avengers even with all she's experienced since then. For various reasons her power level isn't the same as back then, but as the team member who's had the most recent experiences with the outside multiverse she's still invaluable.

{7} I.e. “sapient”.
Last edited by SilvercatMoonpaw on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:35 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Settings”