A Whole Family of Supers (OOC FULL)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: A Whole Family of Supers (Recruiting 3E)

Postby Shock » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:03 am

Nineofspades wrote:for my variable power, I was looking at

Variable (Probability) free action, maybe 30-40 points in the array for a total cost of 54-72pps, and allowing lucky or unlucky effects to happen. Maybe limited to one power at a time, showing she lacks the fine control needed to divide her attention among more than one effect.

That's well beyond a small, limited scope power. Even limited to a single power, 30-40 points is quite a bit. I'd recommend picking out 2-4 regularly used effects (damage, snare, etc) and make an array out of them. Anything else you want to do could be stunted. That would also leave you a lot more points to use on the rest of the character.

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:12 am

Crazyivan777 wrote:So, I'm a terrible noob when it comes to 3rd ed character creation nuts-and-bolts. I'm putting my basic "Jemma" sheet here for folks to offer advice on. Currently my 'stuck' point is that, while she has very good martial arts, she's not doing any real damage (outside of choke-hold). Maybe a gadget or something? She's got, I think, six spare points left over currently.

Take a look at the example Martial Artist build in the book. Or if you have any of the DC books, there are plenty of examples of non-powered type characters that could give you ideas.

There are several ways you can get a martial artist up to snuff on damage. One is to have a high Fighting/close combat rank and take Power attack. Another is to get a weapon. Or a third is create a power called Martial Strike with is straight strength based damage. I wouldn't worry too much about maximizing combat ability. This isn't going to be the kind of game where you need to be tweaked in just right or you'll get steamrolled.

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Postby whiteprofit » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:17 am

Gravity Boy!
ImageImage
Identity: Kit Andersen
BIO: Kit, despite his variable background, is able to control the local Gravity on objects, allowing him to mimic super-strength and hold people in place. Adjusting the gravity around him, he is able to enhance his own stamina and strength, leap tall buildings, and walk on surfaces other humans wouldn't be able to walk on. Though he can't fly, (yet, he insists) he is working on it and hopes to figure it out by his next birthday.

At least that's what he tells his one and a half million Facebook fans. Kit, being an attractive, young, super-hero teen, has quite the fan base in young media. He manages a higher tweet count and scream level index than most boy bands. At his parent's direct order, he keeps his identity secret though he's been tempted to take off the mask by many sources for a lot of money. This certainly adds to the mystery and intrigue that fuels his popularity, but his attention seeking personality clashes with his mother and father's safety first point of view. He doesn't see a problem with appearing in a few advertisements, supporting local business, and giving a small wink or smile to the cameras. His father sees these actions as childish while Kit sees it as a way to pad his allowance. The point of contention, as well as the mob gathering of teens that should be fleeing, can sometimes be a hassle, but Kit can't help doing what comes natural to him as a hormone driven teenager.

GravityBoy! - PL 8

Strength 0, Stamina 1, Agility 2, Dexterity 0, Fighting 2, Intellect 0, Awareness 1, Presence 1

Advantages
Agile Feint, Daze (Deception), Defensive Roll 5, Equipment 1, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Hold, Improved Trip, Improvised Weapon, Move-by Action, Ranged Attack 8, Taunt, Weapon Bind

Skills
Acrobatics 2 (+10/+4), Athletics 4 (+10/+4), Close Combat: Unarmed 6 (+8), Deception 7 (+8), Insight 6 (+7), Perception 7 (+8), Persuasion 5 (+6), Stealth 5 (+7), Technology 4 (+4), Vehicles 5 (+5)

Powers
Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait 4 (Traits: Athletics +6 (+8), Acrobatics +6 (+10))
Gravity Control: Move Object 8 (25 tons, DC 23; Damaging, Increased Mass 2, Indirect 2: any point away or fixed point in fixed direction, Subtle: subtle; Limited Direction: Up and Down)
. . Affliction: Concentration Burst Area Affliction 7 (Alternate; 1st degree: Hindered, Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Immobile, Defenseless, 3rd degree: Paralyzed, Paralyzed, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 17; Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, Concentration, Extra Condition; Instant Recovery)
. . Deflect: Deflect 8 (Alternate; Increased Range: perception)
. . Repulse: Burst Area Damage 7 (Alternate; DC 22; Area: Burst (30 feet radius), Selective)
Leaping: Leaping 6 (Leap 500 feet at 120 miles/hour)
Movement: Movement 4 (Safe Fall, Wall-crawling 1: -1 speed rank, Water Walking 2)
Speed: Speed 2 (Speed: 8 miles/hour, 120 feet/round)

Equipment
Goggles and Belt Equipment (Commlink, Flashlight, GPS Receiver), Super Suit [Padded Suit: Protection 2, +2 Toughness]

Offense
Initiative +2
Affliction: Concentration Burst Area Affliction 7 (DC Fort 17)
Grab, +2 (DC Spec 10)
Gravity Control: Move Object 8, +8 (DC 23)
Throw, +8 (DC 15)
Unarmed, +8 (DC 15)

Complications
Fame: Popular Teen Superhero
Identity: Secret

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 8, Toughness 8/1, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 14 + Powers 44 + Advantages 24 + Skills 17 (51 ranks) + Defenses 26 = 124
Last edited by whiteprofit on Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:41 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Family of Supers -Kit Andersen/ GravityBoy!

Crazyivan777
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Crazyivan777 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:49 am

Ha! I love Grav's bio! Excellent.

Of course, it does mean we're going to have to chat as players as to whether we're going into this with secret identities or public ones!

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:51 am

Crazyivan777 wrote:Ha! I love Grav's bio! Excellent.

Of course, it does mean we're going to have to chat as players as to whether we're going into this with secret identities or public ones!

It doesn't have to be all one or the other. In fact, in a family with Gravity Boy hogging the spotlight, it could be a lot easier for the others to hide their own powers.

bi0philia
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby bi0philia » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:10 pm

hmmm, super smart (or possibly some other power, super smart baby is a bit overdone)baby with a robo nanny?

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:16 pm

bi0philia wrote:hmmm, super smart (or possibly some other power, super smart baby is a bit overdone)baby with a robo nanny?

:D :mrgreen:

Funny. But no.

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:24 pm

Maybe someone could help me remember a (Image?) title out of the 200x's that is sticking in the vagueness of my memory.

Soap opera style family superhuman team.. POV character is a normal that marries a member of the family- and then the husband promptly dies, leaving her to the tender treacheries of the rest of the family. Maybe the husband's name was Rusty?

And.. I really can't remember much more than that.

Thanks!

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:27 pm

Someone mentioned Noble Causes earlier in the thread. Was that it?

bi0philia
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby bi0philia » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:29 pm

fair enough, it was more of a joke anyway. :mrgreen:

Perhaps the dad, a paragon with fire based abilities :arrow:

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:40 pm

Shock wrote:Someone mentioned Noble Causes earlier in the thread. Was that it?

That would be the one- thanks!

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby kenmadragon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:48 pm

Any problems with Michael's character idea so far? I want to get the basis for the character idea down before I start making a build and writing up a full length backstory.

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:58 pm

kenmadragon wrote:Any problems with Michael's character idea so far? I want to get the basis for the character idea down before I start making a build and writing up a full length backstory.

It's a little darker than I was hoping for. He sounds more like a villain in the making than a hero.

Nineofspades
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Nineofspades » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:41 pm

Well, since the variable probability was pretty much the crux of the build, if thats a no go, then I'll need to switch gears.

So heres some new ideas, let me know if they sound workable and if any tickle your fancy.

Hyperspace Manipulator: A teleport based build, beyond using the powers for pure transportation, but also offensively. Opening small portals to an active volcano for a blast of heat, or teleporting all the guns out of bad guys hands. Basically the ability to consciously distort spacial topography.

Shadow Controller: Fairly straightforward, though requires ambient shadows to work with, she won't be able to just generate darkness on command. Certainly a bit of a challenge, but not an insurmountable one, since she'd at least have control over her own shadow.

Shape-shifter: Still variable, but this ones a little less potent, since its going to be a much slower effect. Variable: Full round action, Distracting. changing forms becomes a much more taxing prospect, one that requires a lot of concentration, and takes a few seconds to do properly. Might also include a complication that she suffers some negative consequence if disrupted in mid change, causing her to lose focus.

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby kenmadragon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:55 pm

Shock wrote:
kenmadragon wrote:Any problems with Michael's character idea so far? I want to get the basis for the character idea down before I start making a build and writing up a full length backstory.

It's a little darker than I was hoping for. He sounds more like a villain in the making than a hero.

Well, that was just the origin story. I can edit it to have him actually have some untapped sorceress potential, and the devil comes looking for him, trying to unlock it and kidnap Michael. Michael comes to realize his inner powers, and uses them against the devil after e devil unlocks me, before the devil could take him. He then decides to use his powers for good, and seeing as his parents are heroes, it makes for a good role model. He beats up demons and mystic villains, and grows in magical power and strength as he grows up. He still respects his parents, but isn't going to jump when they say 'jump'. he would think about it for himself before he jumps.

Return to “M&M Game Room”