D&D Type Fantasy Setting 3E OOC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: D&D Type Fantasy Setting (Interest Thread) 3E

Postby EPIC » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:34 am

@ Weyrd - That makes more sense than physically launching himself from the bow lol.

@ Moira - But she doesn't have illusions. :p Maybe she should! (or a feature that allows her to make illusionary coverings in such an instance? ;) )

Moira
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Moira » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:37 am

EPIC wrote:@ Moira - But she doesn't have illusions. :p Maybe she should! (or a feature that allows her to make illusionary coverings in such an instance? ;) )
I'm already 15 points over if we're doing 120 points. I cannot afford either! Plus, people don't have to pay for their clothes. Why should i have to pay for modesty ;) I really do hope we go with 135, I can't figure our what I want to cut off.
RIP Angel 1989-2011

Mark Reuter
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Mark Reuter » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:17 pm

Wow! You leave the boards for 12 hours or so and your interest thread blows up and becomes a recruitment thread overnight. I will make it official in the OP. I will try to answer questions later this weekend (if I can). Social obligations have cropped up that I must attend to. I appreciate everyone's interest thus far. Hound I am sorry that you are dropping this. I hope it wasn't anything I did or said that discouraged you.

A few notes: I am trying to keep this setting pretty basic D&D/LotR type. There are dragons, unicorns, and the typical fantasy beasties. There are dwarves, elves, humans, halflings and such. Magic is more common than in LotR and more like in D&D.

Since I have glanced over some builds briefly, it seems most have settled on PL 8 so that seems to be a happy medium. However, in the spirit of encouraging the purchasing (and use) of the less combative skills, because this isn't going to be hack and slash (although there will be enough action to suit those of a combative nature), I will make it PL 8, 135 pp, with the caveat that you must have AT LEAST 15 pp worth of non-combat advantages/skills.

I hope this is enough to tide you over till I return to the boards, probably tomorrow noon.

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: D&D Type Fantasy Setting (Recruiting) 3E

Postby EPIC » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Sounds good Mark. I'll be going over my build tonight to make changes. I've been thinking of a few concept changes I may make, but haven't quite settled on just yet.

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:25 pm

You misunderstand. I meant "I am dropping this arguement with Epic." I felt it was detrimental to the well being of this recruiting thread. I am still applying with my character.

I am simply keeping my mouth shut about player builds and allowing you, Mark, the GM, to decide what you like and do not like.

As always I am happy to make changes to my character if you feel it does not fit your game. I made all of my spells by using 3.5 edition players hand guide, cleric spells. I tried my best to convert them, but some of the mechanics had to change for obvious reasons.
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:32 pm

I have updated my character to meet the new standard of 135 points. With the 15 new points, I purchased 3 advantages and 12 points worth of skills.
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters

Mark Reuter
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Mark Reuter » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:33 pm

Hound wrote:You misunderstand. I meant "I am dropping this arguement with Epic." I felt it was detrimental to the well being of this recruiting thread. I am still applying with my character.

I am simply keeping my mouth shut about player builds and allowing you, Mark, the GM, to decide what you like and do not like.

As always I am happy to make changes to my character if you feel it does not fit your game. I made all of my spells by using 3.5 edition players hand guide, cleric spells. I tried my best to convert them, but some of the mechanics had to change for obvious reasons.

OK Outstanding! I am glad I misunderstood you. And I understand about keeping your mouth shut. I, too, sometimes have "stepped on toes" with comments about builds in a campaign where I was not the GM. It is difficult sometimes. This is my first time trying to GM a game on these boards. So please bear with me during this recruitment process.

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby XeroKhan » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:53 pm

Chrono's Stats have been updated to 135pp. I even added Heward's Handy Haversack to his equipment. I am still unsure currently of what to add to him with his last 4 Equipment Points. Any thoughts?

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby flynnarrel » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:09 pm

Tania Glimmerwing was one of the Fae Queen's own Handmaidens. When she was called upon by her queen to serve as ambassador to a monarch of the local Big Folke who claimed dominion just outside of their forest. Actually, he claimed the forest was IN his dominion but that was one of the first things to be sorted out. The Queen's instructions were quite clear - work within the interests of the Fae Folke and try to come to reasonable if not good terms with this ruling monarch.
She knew what her queen wanted. There were better diplomats within the Queen's court, but if she were sending Tania it could only be to have the sizes of her forces misrepresented believably, to have the King's castle scouted accurately, and to have counter-intelligence prepared. Tania would not fail Her Majesty.
Once she came to know the King, however, she became impressed by his valiance, forthrightness, and intelligence. She started to doubt her original mission. She told the Fae Queen of her doubts and Her Majesty dismissed her on the spot. It was only due to her years of good service that she wasn't killed on the spot. Exiled from the forest Kingdom of the Fae, and having no where else to go, she returned to the King. She told him everything and he offered to make a place for her at his court until such time as she another destination. Tania would be at his beck-and-call should he need her.

About Half Actual Size

Complications:
It's a big world: Her size may limit how she can interact with the world.
Exiled faerie: The tale has been spread that Tania is no longer under the Queen's protection. There are many creatures and wizards that would like to capture or kill a faerie free of reprisals.
Debt to a king: She owes the Human Monarch much and will strive to repay him and/or his family however she can.
Vulnerability: Cold-iron. Cold Iron is a bane to Fae and Fae Magics.

pl8 135

Str -1/-3
Sta 4
Dex 4
Agi 6
Fgt 0
Awe 4
Int -1
Pre 0
[32pp]

Tough: 4
Dodge: 2+6agi+4size= 12 [2pp]
Parry: 6+4size = 10 [6pp]
Will: 6+4 = 10 [6pp]
Fort: 2+4 = 6 [2pp]

Advantages [8pp]: Evasion 2, Set-up, Ranged Attack 4, Equipment

non-combat Skills @3/per [17pp]: Deception 12, Acrobatics 3(+9), Perception 9(+13), Sleight of Hand 9(+13), Stealth 3(+17), Expertise - Woodlands 6(+5 ), Insight 3(+7), Technology (limited: Security)(2pp used @ 2-for-1) +12[+11]

Equipment:
Bow (Ranged damage 2), 4ep
Continual light coin 1ep

Pixie:
Shrinking Permanent, innate pl8 [9pp]
-2 Str, -1 Speed, +8 Stealth, +4 defenses, -4 intimidate
Flight, Winged pr3 [3pp]
Low-Light Vision [1pp]
Immunity Aging,Sleep [half effect] [1pp]
Shrink Items: Dimensional Pocket 2 [2pp]

Pixie Archer:
Advantages: Precise Attack (Ranged, Concealment, Cover), Power attack, [3pp]
Skill: Ranged-Attack (Bow) 6(+14) [3pp]
Add Multi-Attack and Penetrating to Bow [4pp]

Pixie Tricks
Concealment, Affects Other, Precise, pr 10 [31pp+5AEs]
{She can Make herself and one being in contact with her invisible}
AE: Sack of Pixie Dust: Concealment, Attack, Area-Cloud 2 (30'radius), Secondary Effect, Trigger [Impact] pr 5 (All Vision, Normal Olfactory)
{She produces a sac of Pixie Dust that when dropped or jostled will explode into glittery green motes smelling of pine.}
AE: Fey Magic: Illusion, All Senses, Independent, Area 1 [15'diameter], Precise, Tether pr 4
{She can cover something or some area with an illusion that stays attached to it.}
AE: Irrestistible Dance Arrow: Ranged, Affliction, Progression (Resist by Will, hindered and vulnerable, immobile and defenseless) Extra Condition, Limited Degree, Activation - Move pr 8
{Taking a Moment to conjure a bright blue arrow, she launches it at a foe that will start dancing}
AE: Sprinkle of Sleep Dust on the Wind: Affliction, Area-Shapeable, Cumulative, Extra Condition (Resist by Fort, Fatigued and Dazed, Exhausted and Stunned, Asleep), Subtle 2, Insidious 1, pr 7
{She sprinkles dust over her fluttering wings and an invisible trail snakes out from her causing drowsiness in all it touches.}
AE: Grease: Affliction, Area-Cloud, duration - continuous(+3/r), Permanent, Secondary Effect, (Resisted by Dodge, Hindered and Impaired, Prone and Disabled) Extra condition, Limited Degree, Limited (those touching the ground), Effect Fades, pr 8 linked Move Object, Area-Cloud, Range-Perception, Duration-Instant, Limited to Disarm, pr 7
{Releasing a conjuration of slippery grease onto the ground, every surface is coated by it. People can be rendered unable to move or get up, and everyone is subject to a Disarm, strength vs. DC 17.}
Last edited by flynnarrel on Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:17 am, edited 4 times in total.

Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Plan B » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:01 pm

135 points?

and cheaper non combat skills?

I think, I'm going to have to come up with a more expensive concept.
    Insert witty comment here.

Atmo
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Atmo » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:25 pm

Mark, can you rate my character? If he has anything unfitting, then i'll change it.

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EPIC » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:19 pm

I'm not Mark., but two things stick out to me.

1) Suffocation. You might want to write it out properly to make it easier to understand at a glance what it does. Obviously it's an affliction, but seeing what the conditions are makes life simpler.

2) Alternate Form 1.....what is this? There's no explanation for it, or what it is.

Describing what things do goes a long way to making your character easier to understand and visualize which ultimately gives them more depth.

drothgery
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby drothgery » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:56 pm

A few other cleric and knight types seem to have taken up the space I was looking at, so here's something different ...

(because I'm not sure how to get HeroLab to do the math right for the house rule, I didn't buy any ranks in combat skills)

A younger son of a minor (but wealthy) noble, Jeran ran off to join an adventuring company at 16, putting his excellent sword-training (but minimal experience) to use and learning whatever he could from the more senior members of the group -- who eventually figured out who he really was, why he wanted to make a name for himself, and that for all that he wanted to make a name for himself and impress the ladies, he had a real talent for a showman's manner of swordfighting.

Now and then he does work for the king; he has some skills that are rare among the aristocracy, and also is familiar with some crowds that the King has few eyes in.

Jeran - Human Rogue PL 8

Strength 0, Stamina 1, Agility 3, Dexterity 3, Fighting 6, Intellect 2, Awareness 2, Presence 2

Advantages
Accurate Attack, All-out Attack, Attractive, Benefit, Status: Aristocrat, Close Attack 2, Connected, Daze (Deception), Defensive Attack, Equipment 3, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improvised Tools, Instant Up, Luck, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 4, Taunt, Uncanny Dodge, Well-informed

Skills
Acrobatics 8 (+11), Athletics 8 (+8), Deception 8 (+10), Expertise: History/Nobility 8 (+10), Insight 8 (+10), Perception 8 (+10), Persuasion 8 (+10), Sleight of Hand 8 (+11), Stealth 8 (+11)

Powers
Disable: Enhanced Trait 3 (Traits: Technology +9 (+11); Limited: Locks and Traps)
Enchanted Leather Armor (Removable)
. . Protection 6 (+6 Toughness)
Fencing
. . Crippling strike: Cumulative Affliction 8 (1st degree: Hindered, 2nd degree: Prone, 3rd degree: Incapacitated, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 18; Alternate Resistance: Parry, Cumulative, Reach (melee): 5 ft.)
. . Lunge: Strike 8 (DC 23; Penetrating 8, Precise, Reach (melee): 5 ft.; Custom: Requires a one-handed blade, Notes: Jeran can step into a thrust of his blade and step back faster than you thought was possible)
. . Whirlwind of blades: Strike 8 (DC 23; Multiattack, Reach (melee): 5 ft.; Quirk: Requires a one-handed blade and a dagger or a second blade)

Equipment
Crossbow, Haversack 2, Knife, Sword

Offense
Initiative +7
Crippling strike: Cumulative Affliction 8, +8 (DC Dog 18)
Crossbow, +7 (DC 18)
Grab, +8 (DC Spec 10)
Knife, +8 (DC 16)
Lunge: Strike 8, +8 (DC 23)
Sword, +8 (DC 18)
Throw, +7 (DC 15)
Unarmed, +8 (DC 15)
Whirlwind of blades: Strike 8, +8 (DC 23)

Complications
Identity: Jeran is the bastard son of a powerful noble, possibly royalty (Jeran is in his late 20s; pick someone who could plausibly have a son that age); his mother is a minor noble who was hastily married to another minor noble when she learned she was pregnant. He is aware that the man who raised him is not his biological father, and knows he has a secret patron at court, but is unaware of exactly who (he does have a few candidates in his mind).

Everyone knows: Jeran's true parentage is not very secret (most people in the right circles at the right time at least suspect he is not the son of his mother's husband). Some members of the court will react to him based on how they want to influence his biological father (or the person they believe to be his father) rather than reacting to him on his own merits.

Relationship: Dame Kistellan, a paladin of Heironeous and second daughter of another minor house and about Jeran's age, keeps crossing paths with him. They always seem to meet when the other knowing what they were doing would be embarrassing, or when one or the other really needs rescuing. There's clearly something between them, but both deny any romantic involvement despite insistence from their fellow adventurers that there has to be something going on there.

Languages
Native Language

Defense
Dodge 9, Parry 9, Fortitude 7, Toughness 7, Will 9

Power Points
Abilities 38 + Powers 26 + Advantages 25 + Skills 24 (72 ranks) + Defenses 22 = 135

Edit: Reworked crippling strike power, combat stats, complications
Last edited by drothgery on Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Dave Rothgery
long time lurker, only recent poster ...
Lady Lillian Firestorm
Abigalan S'Mirat
Jeran
Tessa Testarossa

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby XeroKhan » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:04 pm

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1