J-Mart: Preparing for Relocation... :)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: J-Mart: Apache Chief, Black Vulcan, Samurai

Post by Jabroniville » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:30 pm

But... But I thought you were trying to CURE your Pym Bashing, Thorp! I am disappoint.

Actually, scratch that. Pym sucks enormously enough that Pym Bashing is ALWAYS a grand old time!

mageofthesands
Henchman
Henchman

Post by mageofthesands » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:12 am

I like Hank Pym... Poor guy can't catch a break. Or get a good writer that can move past his most infamous breakdown. Although Mighty Avengers was cool.

Really, though. The Hank Pym in Earth's Mightiest Heroes is pretty much the most well written version, and what I consider the true representation of the character. Science guy who keeps getting roped into Super Heroeing due to Janet. This is kinda why Hank works best these days as a background character, like in Mark Waid's Daredevil series.

Also, Ant-Man: Season One is really good, and you should all read it.

Now, can we all get on with the Mantis bashing?

Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Earth-Two_Kenn » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:30 am

mageofthesands wrote:Now, can we all get on with the Mantis bashing?

Can we do Willow bashing at the same time?
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:42 am

I find it strange to hear somebody liked him in A:EMH. He came across as somebody's pet character in the first season. It always seemed like they were doing everything in their power for him to right everytime he showed up. Like he was supposed to be some kind of science buddist saint.
And then he punked the Abomination...

And in the following season it seemed like they wanted to make him "extreme", and suddenly out of nowhere he's capable of outfighting Captan America.
The "pacifist" can out scrap a melee master?

*facepalm*

First season seemed to me like somebody was trying to marysue him past his bad rep... and the next season it felt like they'd given up on that approach and decided to make him the snarky badass who was extreme.

Of course it should be noted I'm terribly biased. I hate Pym ;~)

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Jabroniville » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:10 pm

Heh, that was pretty much my observation about A:EMH Hank too- basically, that the writers knew that he was the least-popular member (particularly because he was the only dude without a movie appearance, probably more that than the fact that comic books treat him like dirt), and so they had to amp up the flaws of everyone else and make Pym out to be a Mary Sue-type super-genius (even STARK had his intelligence downgraded!).

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Post by Thorpacolypse » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:33 pm

Jabroniville wrote:But... But I thought you were trying to CURE your Pym Bashing, Thorp! I am disappoint.

Actually, scratch that. Pym sucks enormously enough that Pym Bashing is ALWAYS a grand old time!
I tried, Jab, I really tried. But as you all noted, A:EMH Hank brought all my hatred back for me. They started off good with him, but they took him back to Suck Town in no time. And you can't blame the writers folks. Oh, no-no...NO ONE can make Hank Pym NOT SUCK! Even if Marvel hired Geoff Johns away from DC and said, "fix Pym", he couldn't do it. And he made Aquaman decent again and is making Vibe not AS sucky! Not Alan Moore, not Grant Morrison, not Scott Snyder, not Brian Michael Bendis, not even Stan Lee himself, even if he hoped in his Delorean with Doc Brown, went back in time and stopped them from writing the Avengers issue where he slapped Janet, could redeem him at this point. He is in the land of suck forever and ever, amen.

PYM SUCKS!
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Jabroniville » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:51 am

*sniff* *sniff* That post... it's SO BEAUTIFUL, MAN!! Just... magnificent.

We'll see what that "Ant-Man" movie does to him. Part of me hopes it bombs and is considered the worst super-hero movie of all time, and destroy the character forever :).

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Post by Spectrum » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:07 am

Wow..

That's a pretty tall order given some of the utter drek that came out of the 70s.

Maybe just the worst in recent memory?

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Post by Thorpacolypse » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:09 pm

We're ending our Super Friend stroll down memory lane with this new item for Aisle 1!

Um...yeah...

EL DORADO
PL: 10 (147 pts) - OPL: 10 ; DPL: 10

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 10, STAMINA 8, AGILITY 3, DEXTERITY 2, FIGHTING 7, INTELLECT 1, AWARENESS 2, PRESENCE 1

SKILLS: Acrobatics 3 (+6), Athletics 3 (+13), Close Combat [Unarmed] 3 (+10), Deception (+1), Expertise [Aztec Lore] 5 (+6), Insight 5 (+7), Intimidation (+1), Perception 4 (+6), Persuasion 4 (+5), Ranged Combat [Blast] 5 (+10), Stealth (+3)

ADVANTAGES: Defensive Roll (2), Languages (1) (English, Ancient Aztec, Base: Spanish), Power Attack, Ranged Attack (3), Teamwork

POWERS:
Mystic Aztec Abilities: 32 pt Array; 35 pts
Telepathy: Mind Reading 10, Communication 3 (Mental, Statewide/Small Nation); 32
Teleportation: Teleport 9 (2 miles/500 miles; Extra: Extended, Increased Mass 3 [400 lbs]); 1 pt
Illusions: Illusion 10 (Visual and Aural); 1 pt
Optic Blasts: Energy Ranged Damage 10; 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +3
Close Attack +7
Unarmed +10 [Unarmed +10]
Ranged Attack +5
Blast +10 [Optical Blast +10]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +10 [DC20] Parry +10 [DC20]
Toughness +10, Fortitude +11, Will +9

COMPLICATIONS:

Abilities 68 + Skills 16 (32 ranks) + Advantages 8 + Powers 35 + Defenses 20 = 147 / 147

Comments: El Dorado was the “what power do we need him to have to get the Super Friends out of this jam” guy. He was strong enough to rumble with Kalibak, could cast illusions, teleport, shoot optic blasts and had telepathy. If he didn't kinda suck, he could be a very effective character.

I don't have it in me to work up Rima The Jungle Girl right now, I'll save her for a LADIES' NIGHT when I can post her and Shanna the She-Devil back to back! 8)
Shop J-Mart!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: #32

Post by Thorpacolypse » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:18 pm

Thorpacolypse wrote:Being one of THE BIG GUNS OF THE THORPACOVERSE isn't all about lifting bridges and flying to Mars in a minutes. It's about status, folks. And after the box office this guy has turned the past few years, his status is at an all-time high!

That man is playing Galaga! Thought we wouldn't notice, but we did. - Tony Stark

IRON MAN
PL: 13 (266 pts) - OPL: 13 ; DPL: 13

ABILITIES: STRENGTH [2] 14, STAMINA 3, AGILITY 1 [3], DEXTERITY 3, FIGHTING 6, INTELLECT 10, AWARENESS 2, PRESENCE 3

SKILLS: Athletics (+14), Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+8/+10), Deception 7 (+10/+12) [Attractive], Expertise [Business] 3 (+13), Expertise [Science] 8 (+18), Insight (+2), Intimidation (+3), Investigation 2 (+12) [Contacts], Perception 7 (+9), Persuasion 5 (+8/+10) [Attractive, Connected], Ranged Combat [Weapon Systems] 4 (+7/+11), Stealth (+1), Technology 13 (+23) [Inventor, Skill Mastery, Skill Supremacy], Vehicles 5 (+8)

ADVANTAGES: Attractive (1), Benefit (5) (Wealth 5 [Billionaire]), Connected, Contacts, Eidetic Memory, Equipment (5), Inventor, Skill Mastery (1) (Technology)

POWERS:
Arc Reactor: Quickness 3 (Mental Tasks only); 2 pts
Bleeding Golden War Extremis Edge Armor: 143 pts traits, Flaw: Activation (Move Action); 142 pts
Jarvis A.I.: Feature 1 (Armor A.I.); 1 pt
Translator: Comprehend 2 (Speak, Understand all Languages, Flaw: Activation [Move Action]); 3 pts
Cybernetic Strength: Enhanced Strength 12; 24 pts
Cybernetic Speed: Enhanced Agility 2; 4 pts
Man of Iron: Protection 12, Impervious Toughness 7; 26 pts
Self-Contained Environment: Immunity 10 (Life Support); 10 pts
Sensor Array: Enhanced Parry 4, Enhanced Dodge 4, Enhanced Advantages 5 (Accurate Attack, Improved Aim, Improved Initiative, Precise Attack [Ranged, Cover; Ranged, Concealment]), Enhanced Skills 3 (Close Combat: Unarmed 2 ranks, Ranged Combat: Weapons Systems 4 ranks), Variable 1 (5 pts traits, Flaw: Limited [Sensory powers only]); 22 pts
Repulsor Boot Jets: Flight 11 (4000 mph); 22 pts
Weapon Systems: 30 pt Array; 34 pts
Repulsor Rays: Ranged Damage 15; 30 pts
Missiles: Ballistic Ranged Burst Area Damage 9 (Extra: Area Burst [30 ft], Homing); 1 pt
Uni-Beam: Line Area Damage 13 (Extra: Line Area 2 [60 ft], Penetrating, Flaw: Distracting, Unreliable [5 uses]); 1 pt
Holograms: Illusion 9 (Visual and Auditory); 1 pt
Tractor Beam: Move Object 13 (Flaw: Limited to Metals); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
(25 pts)
Stark Tower: (25 pts)
Size - Gargantuan, Tough - 12, Features 18 (Communications, Computer, Fire Prevention System, Garage, Gym, Hangar, Infirmary, Laboratory, Library, Living Space, Personnel, Power System, Security System 3 [DC 30], Workshop); 23 pts

OFFENSE:
Initiative +1 (+5 in Armor)
Close Attack +4
Unarmed +8 (+10 in Armor) [Unarmed +2; Armor Unarmed +14]
Ranged Attack +3
Weapons Systems +6 (+10 in Armor) [Repulsor Blast +15; Missiles +9, Area Burst; Tractor Beam Move Object +13]
Special Attack [Uni-Beam +13, Line Area]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +7 (+11 in Armor) [DC17/21] Parry +7 (+11 in Armor) [DC17/21]
Toughness +3 (+15 in Armor+7 Impervious), Fortitude +7, Will +10

COMPLICATIONS:
Addiction: Other people seem to think he has a drinking problem, HE doesn't seem to think so…
Arrogance: Most people think he is quite full of himself, HE doesn't think so…
Enemy: The Mandarin, Obadiah Stane and family, Justin Hammer and family
Fame: Everyone knows he's Tony Stark, multi-billionaire playboy
Power Loss: If the Arc Reactor is somehow removed, he loses pretty much all his motor functions, his stats drop to STR 1, STA 1, INT 8, and he loses access to his armor
Relationships: He is close with Pepper Potts, James Rhodes, Jarvis and Steve Rogers
Reputation: Drunk, womanizer, narcissist, war profiteer, superhero separatist

Abilities 60 + Skills 28 (56 ranks) + Advantages 17 + Powers 144 + Defenses 17 = 266 / 266

Comments: Gotta love the resurgence of Tony Stark. Somehow, they took a character that Marvel had been forcing on us as A League for years, we didn't quite buy it, then he becomes one of the most hated heroic characters EVER and then they make the movie and somehow it makes Stark 10 times the star he was in comicdom. Amazing...

I always liked Tony but he never struck me as the main player he was pushed to be. Now with the movie and Ultimate Iron Man, I love him. Yes, I know its wrong to be an irresponsible drunken playboy when you're supposed to be saving the world, but man, it's entertaining!

And that's the Tony of the Thorpacoverse, hence the Downey pic instead of some comic art. Tony has been through the craphole of the Civil War and Secret Invasion here on Earth-217 and has come out on the other side. He had to have that Arc Reactor put in to reboot his brain and as such, he has said to hell with being on the wagon and has gone back to his roots, albeit a bit more closely monitoring the booze. But not the ladies' or his ego. Steve Rogers and Amanda Waller are concerned, but generally everyone agrees that this Tony is far more tolerable.

You'll note that I had some fun with the armor name because even though I went with his current Arc Reactor setup, I tried to keep him pretty general with the powers he's shown over the years. This armor is part of him like the Extremis and the Bleeding Edge, but I kept his PL about where he always is in comparison to the Marvel big timers like Hulk and Thor because, as someone mentioned on Taliesin's thread, no matter how many times he upgrades his armor, everyone else does too and he's still at pretty much the same comparative level as he always was.

Clean Up 4/20/11: Fixed up Tony a bit, taking him up a PL and cleaning up a couple of array issues.

Clean Up 6/9/13: Despite my amazing ability to continue NOT to be able to see Iron Man 3, I still wanted to do a little work on Tony. Feels better now.

Did a little work on my Iron Man, even though, as I noted above, I STILL HAVEN'T GOTTEN TO SEE IRON MAN 3!!! What the hell is up with that?!?!?!?

I also cleaned up Mister Majestic and Martian Manhunter, too.
Shop J-Mart!

Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Re: J-Mart: Apache Chief, Black Vulcan, Samurai, El Dorado

Post by Earth-Two_Kenn » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:47 pm

The colourist goofed.
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by kenmadragon » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:02 pm

Hey, don't worry Thorp, I haven't seen Iron Man 3 yet either. I do like the build though, and have to admit that was one of my favorite lines in Avengers (dude playing galaga on the hig tech helicarriar. hilarious).

Do have to wonder, though I see you still have him as an Avenger in the Thorpacaverse, is he also a part of the Illuminati? Or are you not including them in the Thorpacaverse? And if you do have the Illuminati, who are the other members other than the usual 6?

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Post by saint_matthew » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:33 am

kenmadragon wrote:Hey, don't worry Thorp, I haven't seen Iron Man 3 yet either
I watched it & i hated it: Not because its bad, since its actually quite good, but because it makes the comic look bad by comparision.

Marvel could benefit from depowering Tony a little in the comics, just like [spoiler redacted]. The movie did something the comic book hasn't done ever: Its iron MAN, not IRON man: The human side is more important than the tech side. The PTSD angle was a nice humanising factor: Comic book Tony could use a little of that.

I think thats why Tony has always been this D list character book that Marvel keeps on trying to shove down everyones throat. Because every Iron Man story is essentially the same story. Some of Tonys tech gets stolen, Tony swears he'll never let his tech be weaponised again & swears he'll get the tech back: At which Tony goes an makes a bigger badder piece of weapon tech to get the last piece of weaponised tech back, but the newer badder piece of weapon tech will inevitably be stolen, starting the cycle all over again. All within a framework of cliched tech babble plot contrivences for why Tony needs to create bigger badder tech: An to think Spidermans been fighting evil with nothing more then the proportional strength/agility of a spider & 50 year old web shooter technology.

You know what i would love to see? Iron Mans suits are all destroyed for whatever plot contrivence/reason & instead of a standard Iron Man suit, tony makes a single suit, but instead of being this big blocky robot suit, its instead a soft suit.... Think Booster Gold, with the Force Field tech. An those Iron Man stories would be all about Tony playing the role of the paragon-esque character, who is just doing the classic super-hero thing... Now that would put the cat among the pigeons.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Woodclaw
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Woodclaw » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:08 am

saint_matthew wrote:
kenmadragon wrote:Hey, don't worry Thorp, I haven't seen Iron Man 3 yet either
I watched it & i hated it: Not because its bad, since its actually quite good, but because it makes the comic look bad by comparision.
I had this feeling for almost all the Phase 1 movie (except maybe First Avenger). Then again considering my current appreciation for Marvel's work that's not surprising.
"Yes, it's a bloody flying alligator setting fire to my city!"

Sam Vimes (Guards! Guards!)

From a dark corner of my mind (my build's thread)
From another dark corner of my mind (my Deviantart page)

Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Kreuzritter » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:30 am

Jabroniville wrote:Heh, that was pretty much my observation about A:EMH Hank too- basically, that the writers knew that he was the least-popular member (particularly because he was the only dude without a movie appearance, probably more that than the fact that comic books treat him like dirt), and so they had to amp up the flaws of everyone else and make Pym out to be a Mary Sue-type super-genius (even STARK had his intelligence downgraded!).
oh please, black panther's way more sueish than Pym in EMH. Pym's expertse was in pure technobabble for purely scientific stuff, stepping aside for stark on anything tech/mechanical (ultron excepted). Hank's pacifism was also the wrong call on a few occasions (most epicly when he botched the arrest of the Serpent squad).
Kreuz Control Promotions: over 2800 builds served, and counting...
Crinoverse: Contributions