Protonik & the rest

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Kid Karnivore
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Kid Karnivore » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:47 am

Sean Glenn wrote:You may note that in the Crooks! illo of the Proletarian, he has long early 80s hair. He sort of cleaned that up around 1992 or so. One can only rock the mullet for so long. The character standing next to him is the Czar, in his previous identity.
But... I like originals with mullets!

On the other hand, it seems to me that Protonik really hasn't changed his hair that much. In my opinion, that's still a semi-mullet!

And I can't wait to read more about Silver Shrike and Courage Unlimited!

But my own personal favorite hero in the Meta-4 universe remains the sadly forgotten Ancient Astronaut!

ghostman76
Luminary
Luminary

Post by ghostman76 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:04 am

Sean Glenn wrote:Lady Hex is indeed a ghost. However, due to a strange twist of fate, she is unaware of her condition (neither are most people, including most of the heroes who know her). I'll reveal her story when I finish my modern day writeup of Mr. Mystery, but her "condition" is a direct result of the ongoing feud between Mr. Mystery and Doc Mesmer (which you get a hint of in the writeup in the appendix of Noir).

Keep the questions coming, we love to answer them.
Just wanted to state with conviction that I can't WAIT to hear about the modern Mr. Mystery. That guy is AWESOME! Sounds like we'll get to know more about Doc Mesmer, Lady Hex, and possibly The Pugilist as well.

Can't. Wait. :D
"One must first experience pain in order to be able to appreciate it's absence."

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:12 am

Baaaaah. You people get a jolly good chap like Protonik and you want to know about the Pugilist?!? You,You . . .Iron Ager you!

p.s I was serious about Silver Shrike portrayed in an. . . Informal moment(Sniggers in a Sid James fashion and leers shamelessly.)
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Sean Glenn
Super Unicorn
Super Unicorn

Post by Sean Glenn » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:07 pm

Kit wrote:Sean,

could you tell us more about the Gatesmen?
The Gatesmen are an interstellar group of police. Not the nicest folks, after all, they do put all of their prisoners into the Hellworld. That place ain't good at all. Each costume is tied to it's wearer, and allows the other Gatesmen to know where he/she/it is at all times. They are more than a bit fascistic, and sort of pick and choose what they will enforce. A visit from a Gatesman is never a good thing. Gatesman 439, an upstanding officer among the corps, falls in love with a woman who has been decreed to be banished to Hellworld, and decides he's had enough of the jackbooted thuggery of his fellow enforcers. However, it's very easy for them to track him down. Which leads to him to a lot of conflict with Dr. Dungeon, since his costume no longer seems to have a functioning tracking device. Gatesman 439 spends a lot of time with Courage Unlimited as well.
nighthunter wrote:I wish to be informed about Jack the Lad, the character doth intrigue me.
Jack the Lad is a happy-go-lucky 60s hero in Britain. Along the lines of Crackerjack in Astro City. He's the son of Daylighter, a hero killed in WWII at the Battle of London, and has similar light-based powers.
Defender2.0 wrote:I'd like to hear some more about Meta-4 proper. Is it strictly a metahuman regulatory body, a law-enforcement organization, an international think tank? What's it's policies on metahumans? I know the organization has the Reserve, but do they recruit metahuman operatives actively or prefer to manufacture their own, while offering memebership/asylum to people like Minotaur and the Twist? Is Protonik an active member or just a big gun reservist? Do they have their own version of the helacarrier?
META-4 has been envisioned as a quasi-governmental agency tasked with tracking, policing, and if necessary, eliminating metahuman threats both in and outside of the United States. They also operate (after the dissolution of ANTAG) as a sort of superhero laboratory. ANTAG used to do all the dirty work there, but after Chase Anthony's disasterous Bestiary program, META-4 has scaled back it's create/build program, and instead concentrates on the recruiting end. The amount of money that it takes to locate, recruit, and train a metahuman means that META-4 doesn't get to fill it's ranks with gobs of supers. They have enough trouble taking care of all the administrative costs, R&D costs, and paying for the repairs of stuff damaged by the likes of Minotaur and Inferna.

Protonik is a very, very neutral. He views his roll as one of good samaritan, not as a tool of the government (he already got to play that role). He helps the Reserve when necessary, but he hates the Front (too much like the Soviet super teams). He will show up when he's really needed. Minotaur is much more of a patriot, and far more loyal to META-4 than he should be.

META-4 is headquartered in a big Pentagon type building, almost completely underground, and probably doesn't have a mobile headquarters like SHIELD's helicarrier.
Sean Glenn
Art Director
www.superunicorn.com

nighthunter
Hero
Hero

Post by nighthunter » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:35 pm

Sean Glenn wrote: Jack the Lad is a happy-go-lucky 60s hero in Britain. Along the lines of Crackerjack in Astro City. He's the son of Daylighter, a hero killed in WWII at the Battle of London, and has similar light-based powers.

Hehe, now i have to go read Astro City comics...

In any case thanks, do you have any of the lowdown on what happened to the other 2 thirds of Trinity? I have some ideas but nothing concrete it would be neat to know what happened to them.
"What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything!" -H.P. Lovecraft

Knight Owl
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Post by Knight Owl » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:20 pm

So are the Upstarts a rogue group, a la The Happening, or do they have some governmental ties?

goodtremere
Paragon
Paragon

Post by goodtremere » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:21 am

Libra wrote:Baaaaah. You people get a jolly good chap like Protonik and you want to know about the Pugilist?!? You,You . . .Iron Ager you!
If you look in the back of Noir, the Pugilist is more of a Golden Age character...
@goodtremere on Champions online
Former Special Secretary For Nocturnal Liquidation and ATT LinkMaster
:( :cry: Weak in Search Fu :cry: :(
MM&M

ghostman76
Luminary
Luminary

Post by ghostman76 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:13 am

Yep. The Pugilist owes more to The Shadow or The Spider than he does to Wolverine or The Punisher. MUCH more.
"One must first experience pain in order to be able to appreciate it's absence."

Kid Vorpal
Compatriot
Compatriot

Post by Kid Vorpal » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:17 am

ghostman76 wrote:Yep. The Pugilist owes more to The Shadow or The Spider than he does to Wolverine or The Punisher. MUCH more.
Hmm - they're not that dissiimilar, really. If you take into account the "ageless" concept behind both heroes (meaning Wolverine and the Pugilist), and then add in the whole "pint-sized brawler known for a distaste of authority and a deep-rooted need for personal freedom" that both seem to exhibit, and they're a little more alike than you might realize.

Pampero
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by Pampero » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:42 am

nighthunter wrote:Hehe, now i have to go read Astro City comics...
*snip*
Yes. Yes you do.

ghostman76
Luminary
Luminary

Post by ghostman76 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:13 pm

Kid Vorpal wrote:
ghostman76 wrote:Yep. The Pugilist owes more to The Shadow or The Spider than he does to Wolverine or The Punisher. MUCH more.
Hmm - they're not that dissiimilar, really. If you take into account the "ageless" concept behind both heroes (meaning Wolverine and the Pugilist), and then add in the whole "pint-sized brawler known for a distaste of authority and a deep-rooted need for personal freedom" that both seem to exhibit, and they're a little more alike than you might realize.

Ok ok......dammit. They have similarities, but The Pugilist is way cooler than Wolverine.

Kid Vorpal
Compatriot
Compatriot

Post by Kid Vorpal » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:19 pm

ghostman76 wrote:Ok ok......dammit. They have similarities, but The Pugilist is way cooler than Wolverine.
Heh - that was never in dispute. ;)

Samson
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Samson » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:48 pm

Sean Glenn wrote:
Defender2.0 wrote:I'd like to hear some more about Meta-4 proper. Is it strictly a metahuman regulatory body, a law-enforcement organization, an international think tank? What's it's policies on metahumans? I know the organization has the Reserve, but do they recruit metahuman operatives actively or prefer to manufacture their own, while offering memebership/asylum to people like Minotaur and the Twist? Is Protonik an active member or just a big gun reservist? Do they have their own version of the helacarrier?
META-4 has been envisioned as a quasi-governmental agency tasked with tracking, policing, and if necessary, eliminating metahuman threats both in and outside of the United States. They also operate (after the dissolution of ANTAG) as a sort of superhero laboratory. ANTAG used to do all the dirty work there, but after Chase Anthony's disasterous Bestiary program, META-4 has scaled back it's create/build program, and instead concentrates on the recruiting end. The amount of money that it takes to locate, recruit, and train a metahuman means that META-4 doesn't get to fill it's ranks with gobs of supers. They have enough trouble taking care of all the administrative costs, R&D costs, and paying for the repairs of stuff damaged by the likes of Minotaur and Inferna.

Protonik is a very, very neutral. He views his roll as one of good samaritan, not as a tool of the government (he already got to play that role). He helps the Reserve when necessary, but he hates the Front (too much like the Soviet super teams). He will show up when he's really needed. Minotaur is much more of a patriot, and far more loyal to META-4 than he should be.

META-4 is headquartered in a big Pentagon type building, almost completely underground, and probably doesn't have a mobile headquarters like SHIELD's helicarrier.
VERY cool concept. 8)
See, this is why I merge my FC and Meta4 stuff into one "world". I know others who make it exclusive, and make it "one over the other" but that way, you'll miss out on something great from the side you are omitting.

Very, very very cool.
"This is me, yo, right here." - Wallace, The Wire: Episode 12

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:26 am

You may be right in your description of the Pugialist in relation to Wolverine, but you would not want to give your opinion on him within his ear reach. I mean look at what he does to people who just get ib his way. Might be a cool comicbook battle though. Between the Pugialist and Wolverine. Who do you think would win?
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

nighthunter
Hero
Hero

Post by nighthunter » Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:09 am

The Pugilist, because Daredevil can beat Wolverine, and The Pugilist is irish... yeah don't question the logic, it will cause a brainsplosion.
"What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything!" -H.P. Lovecraft