3e Fantasy (OOC, Cancelled)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Moira
Firebrand
Firebrand

Re: 3e Fantasy (recruiting)

Post by Moira » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:01 pm

Sriseru wrote:Here's my preliminary build, let me know if I've done anything illegal:

Sihanis the Dragoness - PL 8
Since your Growth and Extra Limbs are Innate (and permanent with growth), you will be morphing into a 15 foot tall human with a tail! I'm not sure if that's what you want, just saying :P

Please note what your Presence bonuses are.

More a fluff question, but why does the dragon not speak Draconic?
RIP Angel 1989-2011

Mr.United
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by Mr.United » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:02 pm

I haven't added the House Rules yet or added him with flavor. Just wanted to see if he fit the game style....But what do you think of this?
The Exiled Prince

Name:
Weight
Hair-
Eyes-
Ethnicity-
Quote:

PL 08 120/120

Unnamed Hero - PL 8

Strength 3
Stamina 3
Agility 7
Dexterity 4
Fighting 4
Intellect 3
Awareness 6
Presence 2

Advantages

Connected, Defensive Roll 2, Equipment 2, Evasion 2, Improved Aim, Improved Critical 2: Composite Longbow, Instant Up, Leadership, Move-by Action, Quick Draw, Takedown 2, Tracking, Well-informed

Skills

Acrobatics 1 (+8), Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+6), Expertise: Nobility 3 (+6), Insight 2 (+8), Perception 4 (+10), Persuasion 2 (+4), Ranged Combat: Composite Longbow 6 (+10), Sleight of Hand 2 (+6), Treatment 2 (+5)

Powers

Speed of the Demon (Advantages: Improved Initiative)
. . Blast: Blast 8 (Alternate; DC 23)
. . Demon Scream: Burst Area Damage 8 (Alternate; DC 23; Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere [7 extra ranks]; Limited: Works only at Super Speed 10 or More.)
. . Long Shot: Blast 8 (Alternate; DC 23; Increased Range: perception; Distracting, Quirk: Must have Arrow and Bow)
. . Quick Targeting: Blast 7 (Alternate; DC 22; Multiattack [4 ranks only]; Quirk: Must have Arrow and Bow)
. . Quickness: Quickness 6 (Perform routine tasks in -6 time ranks; Noticeable: Purple Lightning streaks across Body, Permanent)
. . Sharpnel Field: Affliction 8 (Alternate; 1st degree: Hindered, 2nd degree: Immobile, 3rd degree: Unaware, Resisted by: Will, DC 18; Reach (ranged) 5: 25 ft.; Limited: Target must be in Cover., Quirk: Must have Arrows and Bow)
. . Speed: Speed 12 (Speed: 8000 miles/hour, 16 miles/round; Noticeable: Purple Lightning streaks across Body, Permanent)
. . Volley of Arrows: Cone Area Damage 8 (Alternate; DC 23; Cone Area: 60 feet cone; Quirk: Must have Arrow and Bow)

Equipment
Bow, Chain-mail

Offense
Initiative +11
Blast: Blast 8, +4 (DC 23)
Bow, +4 (DC 21)
Demon Scream: Burst Area Damage 8 (DC 23)
Grab, +4 (DC Spec 13)
Long Shot: Blast 8 (DC 23)
Quick Targeting: Blast 7, +4 (DC 22)
Sharpnel Field: Affliction 8, +4 (DC Will 18)
Throw, +4 (DC 18)
Unarmed, +6 (DC 18)
Volley of Arrows: Cone Area Damage 8 (DC 23)

Complications

Armor of ????: The Armor has 4 degrees of wearing. To change Degrees takes all long as to change into a "Hero Costume".
-4th Degree: Disables all Powers and cannot move from waist down. Used for Sleep.
-3rd Degree: Disables all Powers but can move like normal.
-2nd Degree. Reduces Super Speed to 8, Quickness to 4. All Alt Powers Usable.
-1st Degree. Reduces Super Speed to 10, Quickness Maxed, All Powers Usable.

Fame: All Know of The Exiled Prince. This may cause fear or hatred to gather around him quickly.

Languages
Native Language

Defense:
Dodge 7
Parry 6
Fortitude 4
Toughness 8/3
Will 6

Power Points
Abilities 64 + Powers 23 + Advantages 18 + Skills 12 (24 ranks) + Defenses 3 = 120

Background Information:

Coming Soon.

Atomickat
Bystander
Bystander

Post by Atomickat » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:05 pm

I don't want to be Superman... but you're right. I was upstaging without even realizing it... A cool idea is a cool idea, but it should never get in the way of anyone's fun. I'm just glad you explained this now. Time to get my head down from the clouds.

Rebuilding her may take a while. I know I want her to be an Expert-style character first, and combat character second. I want to strike that balance between flexibility and not upstaging anyone. I plan on keeping the skills and most of the advantages, but cutting down on direct damage, and adding some support abilities. I'm thinking along the lines of a rogue, who augments his abilities with magical infusions and dabbles in the arts - but those are secondary.

Anomalocaris
Hireling
Hireling

Post by Anomalocaris » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:27 pm

Curiously, are you going for something inspired by Dark Souls by any chance? The specific question regarding fire and soul magic made me think of that.
Nope, I'm actually not all that familiar with Dark Souls. Now that you bring it up, however, the idea of a "hellfire warlock" with fire and necromancy powers does sound pretty cool. :)
I always thought of myself as more of a proto-arthropod, but apparently...

ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by ClassDunce » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:56 pm

Bio is finished I just need to add complications now.

Secarius Lirian - PL 8

Strength 3, Stamina 1, Agility 4, Dexterity 0, Fighting 8, Intellect 1, Awareness 1, Presence 0

Advantages
Agile Feint, All-out Attack, Attractive, Close Attack 2, Contacts, Daze (Deception), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 4, Equipment 2, Fascinate (Deception), Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Critical 2: Kukri: Strength-based Damage 3, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Set-up, Takedown 2, Tracking, Well-informed

Skills
Acrobatics 8 (+12), Athletics 5 (+8), Deception 10 (+10), Expertise: Criminal 5 (+6), Expertise: History 3 (+4), Expertise: Streetwise 7 (+8), Insight 9 (+10), Intimidation 4 (+4), Investigation 9 (+10), Perception 7 (+8), Persuasion 8 (+8), Sleight of Hand 8 (+8), Stealth 10 (+14), Technology 9 (+10), Treatment 3 (+4)

Powers
Ravana Bone Ring (Removable)
. . Concealment: Concealment 4 (All Visual Senses)
. . Morph: Morph 2 (+20 Deception checks to disguise; Narrow group Grown males)
. . Senses Ravana Sutras: Feature 1

Equipment
Leather Armor, Burglars Toolkit
Hidden Weapon Array:
Kukri: Strength-based Damage 3 (DC 21, Advantages: Improved Critical 2)
. . Poisoned Dagger: Affliction 6 (Alternate; 1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Defenseless, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 16; Limited Degree)
. . Weaken: Weaken 5 (Alternate; Affects: fortitude, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 15; Affects Objects Only)
. . Whip: Strength-based Damage 2 (Alternate; DC 20, Advantages: Improved Trip; Reach (melee) 2: 10 ft.)

Offense
Initiative +8
Grab, +10 (DC Spec 13)
Kukri: Strength-based Damage 3, +10 (DC 21)
Poisoned Dagger: Affliction 6, +10 (DC Fort 16)
Throw, +0 (DC 18)
Unarmed, +10 (DC 18)
Weaken: Weaken 5, +10 (DC Fort 15)
Whip: Strength-based Damage 2, +10 (DC 20)

Languages
Native Language

Defense
Dodge 10, Parry 10, Fortitude 6, Toughness 6/1, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 36 + Powers 15 + Advantages 22 + Skills 27 (105 ranks) + Defenses 20 = 120

Validation: Complications: At least 2 Complications are required

Hero Lab® and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
Mutants & Masterminds, Third Edition is ©2010-2012 Green Ronin Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved.
Background:

Secarius Lirian was born Rikard Moslin and was the only child of Jesan Moslin the founder and leader of the Thieves Guild known as the Alley Bashers. He was his father’s pride and joy. Everywhere Jesan went Rikard was right with him and that was how, at eight years old, Rikard ended up being present at the time and place of Jesan’s assassination. It was an ambush and a betrayal, like most assassinations are, Jesan was attending a meeting with another high ranking Alley Basher who was supposed to pitch a heist to him but after the meeting began the Knives came out.

It only took two members of the Last Laugh to kill Rikards father. A master and an apprentice slaughtered Jesan Moslin and his guards in a highly skilled dance of death. The master quickly left to aid another hit on an Alley Basher elsewhere in the city leaving Rikard and the traitor in the hands of his apprentice. The apprentice quickly dispatched the traitor, not even the Last Laugh would trust him now, before turning to Rikard but instead of a quick death the apprentice removed her hood and half mask.

She was barely twenty years old with short red hair and a knife scar going through her right eyebrow. She grabbed him by the wrist and dragged him out of the blood filled room. An hour later they ended up on the other side of the city, where she was renting rooms in the basement of a brothel with a convenient secret entrance. She explained to him that she was Babette Lirian formally apprenticed to Etienne Velandes but that tonight had been essentially her graduation. Her time of servitude to him was at an end.

Velandes and the other Assassins employed by the Last Laugh slaughtered their way through the leaders of the Alley Bashers in a single night. It was just short of a death stroke to the cities most powerful Thieves Guild. Babette informed him that he was no longer Jesan Moslin, Jesan was dead he was killed by his father’s side, he was now Secarius Lirian her son born to her when she worked as a prostitute before she was recruited by Velandes and now living with her since she had completed her apprenticeship.

It was strange growing up in a brothel. Secarius had more mothers than he could count sometimes he would go weeks without seeing Babette as she went about her business as an assassin of the Last Laugh but she always came back to check on him and when she did she always taught him new and interesting things. How to throw a knife, apply poison to a blade, stalk a man through the street in the middle of the day, disappear into a crowd in an instant, pick locks, break into safes, and assorted other sundry skills.

When he turned fourteen Babette even allowed him to assist her in her work. She never allowed him to help with a kill but he did get to track the mark, set up the location of the hit and help prepare her tools. Babette never took Sacarian as her apprentice though and when he turned 16 she apprenticed him to Octavian Greycloak a Last Laugh burglar and sneak thief. He moved in with Greycloak and worked for him until he turned 21 years old when he was finally put out on his own.

Secarius never swore an oath of loyalty to the Last Laugh and he was never inducted as one of their members. He began operating as a kind of independent contractor in the Shackled City, stealing from the nobles and merchants to keep himself above water in a dog eat dog everyman for himself city. He stayed below the radar of the leaders within the Last Laugh but he eventually came to the attention of the one man whose attention he absolutely didn’t need, Etienne Velandes, the assassin who trained the closest thing to a mother he ever had and killed the father he never really had the opportunity to know.

While breaking into a wealthy shipwrights house, hired to steal the designs for a new Clipper that would be the fastest ship to ever sail the seas, Secarius encountered Etienne Velandes as the master Assassin was in the middle of completing his job, which was to kill the Shipwright, his guards, gain the designs and then move his way through the shipwrights associates and kill any of them who had any knowledge of the designs. It was going to be messy and even Velandes believed it was needlessly bloody. This was something that Secarius learned when Velandes discovered him in the house and then forced him to accompany him through the night.

Velandes already knew about Secarius, being the son of his own former apprentice a son he never knew about, and had heard about his skills. Skills that the master Assassin put to use throughout the night. At the same time Secarius began to admire the skills of Velandes. How the man moved with perfect silence and seemed to have the ability to disappear and reappear nearly at will he was already very aware of this ability with the blade. Come the sun rise when the Assassins job was complete he decided to let Secarius live.

At this point Secarius would’ve been pleased to leave the Master Assassin behind him and go about his life anonymously again but this wasn’t the case. Throughout that night he had impressed the man and in the end that changed everything. Etienne Velandes had begun to chafe at the commands of the Last Laugh, feeling that he would be a better choice for leadership. Velandes began to gather a group of free agents either through pay, favors, or threats. For Secarius it was the ladder.

They entered into a conspiracy to undermine the Last Laugh and eventually lop off the head of the beast removing the leadership senior member by senior member. As they went about this Secarius learned more and more about Etienne Velandes and his strange skills and even the source of the skills. Velandes was in possession of a strange ring, which he always wore, it was plane and white as bleached bone in fact that is exactly what it was. It was a ring of bone with strange scrolling script around it. The ring was the source of his ability to seemingly disappear at will to disappear into crowds almost as if he became a different person.

It wasn’t just the ring alone though. There also a strange book that was small enough to fit into a front shirt pocket. Secarius discovered the book titled The Song of the Night while quietly snooping around Velandes’s home. It was a book of strange poetry, or maybe hymns depending on how religious you are. They were strangely beautiful. The Song of the Night was a tomb from a group of book called the Ravana Sutras. Each tomb has an accompanying artifact The Song of the Night’s was the Bone Ring.

Secarius took the book. It was by far the dumbest thing he had ever done. He would never regret it and Velandes wouldn’t learn of it until it was already too late.

The plan succeeded and Velandes eliminated the entire governing body of the Last Laugh and quickly consolidated the reigns for himself. Secarius learned that while in possession of The Song of the Night he could see right through the powers of the ring which took away all the advantages the ring gave the Master Assassin and in the Chaos of the insurrection he took full advantage of that. While Velandes believed himself to be invisible Secarius was able to sneak a knife between the ribs of the Master Assassin. As Velandes layed bleeding on the floor Secarius took the bone ring and slipped it onto his finger while informing the Master Assassin just how long he had had that particular blade coming.

Sadly after the fact Secarius learned that Velandes survived the knife and was still in control of the Last Laugh of course at this point Secarius had already fled the city feeling the pull of ever more to discover about the Ravana Sutras.
Last edited by ClassDunce on Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When they ask how I died, tell them: still angry." - Quellcrist Falconer

drothgery
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post by drothgery » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:49 pm

Here's the first pass at my sorceress.
She's quite a bit less complicated than most of what we've seen so far, but should be reasonably blasty ...

Lady Lillian Firestorm - PL 8

Strength 0, Stamina 0, Agility 1, Dexterity 1, Fighting 0, Intellect 2, Awareness 2, Presence 2

Advantages
Assessment, Benefit, Status: Minor noble in Delastaran, Equipment 1, Evasion 2, Improved Aim, Improved Critical 4: evocations, Improved Initiative, Instant Up, Luck 2, Move-by Action, Precise Attack (Ranged, Concealment), Precise Attack (Ranged, Cover), Ranged Attack 7

Skills
Expertise: Languages (Demonic) 1 (+3), Expertise: Languages (Draconic) 1 (+3), Expertise: Languages (Elven) 1 (+3), Expertise: Languages (Sorcerer) 1 (+3), Expertise: Magic 9 (+11), Expertise: Monster Lore 8 (+10), Insight 8 (+10), Perception 8 (+10)

Powers
Arcane sight: Senses 1 (Awareness: Magical (visual))
Evocation spells
. . Elemental Arrows: Blast 8 (DC 23; Multiattack, Variable Descriptor 2: broad group - any elemental)
. . Elemental Burst: Burst Area Blast 8 (DC 23; Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, Variable Descriptor 2: broad group - any elemental)
. . Firestorm: Cylinder Area Blast 8 (fire, DC 23; Cylinder Area: 30 feet cylinder, Incurable, Selective; Reduced Range: close)
. . Orb of Force: Blast 8 (DC 23; Affects Insubstantial 2: full rank, Penetrating 8)
Sorceress' Robes (Removable (indestructible))
. . Dimensional Pockets: Feature 1 (Notes: Lillian can carry all her things in the pockets of her robes)
. . Sorcerous Defenses: Enhanced Trait 25 (Traits: Fortitude +8 (+8), Dodge +8 (+9), Parry +9 (+9))
. . Sorcerous resilience: Protection 7 (+7 Toughness)
. . Sorcerous Style: Feature 1 (Notes: Lillian's robes are always clean)
Transportation spells
. . Blink: Teleport 3 (250 feet in a move action, carrying 50 lbs.; Change Direction, Change Velocity, Turnabout)
. . Fly: Flight 4 (Speed: 30 miles/hour, 500 feet/round; Increased Mass)
. . Linked Portal: Teleport 10 (Carry 3200 lbs.; Extended: 1000 miles in 2 move actions, Increased Mass 6; Activation 2: standard action, Limited: Can only teleport to teleportation circles, Limited to Extended, Unreliable (5 uses))

Equipment
Knife, Standard Adventurer's Kit 2

Offense
Initiative +5
Elemental Arrows: Blast 8, +8 (DC 23)
Elemental Burst: Burst Area Blast 8 (DC 23)
Firestorm: Cylinder Area Blast 8 (DC 23)
Grab, +0 (DC Spec 10)
Knife, +0 (DC 16)
Orb of Force: Blast 8, +8 (DC 23)
Throw, +8 (DC 15)
Unarmed, +0 (DC 15)

Complications
Fame: Daughter of a sorcerer who died defending Delastaran from an attack and who was posthumously knighted for his deeds, people were expecting greatness of her even before it was clear she'd inherited his talents. She spent much of her early career far from her home kingdom trying to escape his shadow.
Motivation: Recognition: Lillian wants to be known as a great sorceress in her own right, not just her father's daughter. To some extent, she has achieved this, but at least right now it is said she might match her father's raw power, but not his mastery of magic.

Languages
Native Language (human)

Defense
Dodge 9/1, Parry 9/0, Fortitude 8/0, Toughness 7, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 16 + Powers 69 + Advantages 24 + Skills 10 (37 ranks) + Defenses 6 = 125 (5 points banked)

Background: I know Maarken Firestorm was a great man, but in truth I saw him very little in the decade between my birth and his death. My parents had been young adventures in love -- a dashing swordswoman and a charismatic sorcerer -- who had not thought to bother with charms preventing pregnancy. My conception led to a hasty marriage, and my mother spending the first two years of my life at home with me. After six months, she had accepted a position with the town guard and her mother became my primary caregiver. After another year and a half she took the road with my father again. They would return home every few months or so, send letters and gold more often -- my grandparents' home acquired some small luxuries, then a full time servant, then became a small manor fit for a minor noble as their fortunes advanced -- but I was six years old before I realized the people who appeared occasionally bearing gifts were my parents. And it was only shortly before my father's death that I realized two of the principals of the Flame Blade Company whose adventures were told by every other bard were my parents. My mother says the tales exaggerated less than most.

The first time my life abruptly changed was when the demon sorceress Ravenna decided to attack my home city. Possibly it was my parents' fault to some degree; they had accepted a commission to derail some of her plans, and had been quite successful. But our king was openly her enemy as well, and our kingdom blocked further expansion of her domains. My parents had been far from home, but one of the less well-known sorcerous gifts in the Firestorm line is an affinity for transportation magic; when they learned of the pending attack, they had been at the teleportation circle at the wizards' guild -- they are not particularly fond of sorcerers as an organization, but they still let us use their circles -- within hours. And while armies clashed, Maarken Firestorm dueled the demon sorceress, and at the end of the day both of them were dead beyond any hope of revival. Which led to my father's posthumous title, my confirmation as his heir, my mother becoming captain of the Royal Guard, and me seeing her quite a lot more.

I think she was a little upset that swordplay never interested me. And the bloodlines of sorcery are not easily predictable save that children of two sorcerers nearly always inherit some talent and children of one do fairly often. If my fathers' talents had not manifested, I likely would have studied wizardry; magic fascinated me, from the first time my father made flames dance for me. I do not think I would have been content to simply find a suitable husband and manage an estate.

Still, the second time my life abruptly changed was when I accidentally set a table on fire at 14, and so showed that I had inherited my father's sorcery. My mother hired a retired sorceress to teach me the art rather than sending for one of my father's relatives. Perhaps there was a reason beyond their home base being far from the city I grew up in, but the handful of Firestorm cousins I have met in my travels gave me no clues. I did not meet any of my father's relatives as a child, that is certain. My tutor was quite skilled in teaching me how to channel my natural magic, so within a few years I was casting actual spells rather than playing with unformed blobs of elemental power summoned unwittingly.

But I did not handle the expectations of being the next great Firestorm sorcerer well; at eighteen, I fled the city with the first adventuring company that would have me and put my budding talents to work. My mother cannot complain that I failed to add to the family fortune in my early days; a share of the treasure hordes of many a bandit, warlord, demon, and perhaps a few orc tribes that were not actually bandits but did have enemies that paid well came into my possession. And I sent much of it home; I acquired some fine clothes and -- for a rather greater expense -- commissioned a heavily enchanted sorcerer's robe, but found few other uses for coin despite the effort I put into acquiring it.

Eventually that band split (likely fortunately for me) and after some wandering with short-term partners I fell in with a perhaps somewhat less mercenary group in need of an arcanist. It was in their company that most of what you may have heard of me happened. This is their story.

Appearance
Human Female Sorcerer
Age 25; 5' 2"; brown hair, blue eyes, ~115 lbs
Fairly slender, about average height for a human female, usually dressed in sorcerer's robes and carrying little else obviously due to the enchantments on her combat robes.

Notes:
1) I normally don't write in-character in first person (especially for a character of the opposite gender and not much more than half my age), but Lillian's story came to me that way.

Tale 1:

The first time I attracted much attention in my own right, rather than as Maarken Firestorm's daughter was probably after the defeat of Caleb Mooncaster, a bandit and wizard who had been having considerable success raiding the trade caravans that had begun serving the northern kingdom again a few years earlier. While Ravenna the Demon Sorceress had held sway north of the border, trade in the north had been limited a handful of merchants that traded in the most essential goods and hired highly skilled adventures for their protection. After her death, the volume of trade grew considerably, but the level of protection the merchants hired had decreased notably, and Caleb had seen an opportunity. But a single season of this had convinced the merchant's council he needed to be dealt with. And they had hired Tellan Stonecutter's band for the job.

With nearly a decade on the road, I am well aware that Tellan is perhaps less picky than other mercenaries in the jobs he accepts. There are tasks he will not perform, but he sets his limits farther out than some. I would note Tellan's clan was impoverished, and like many a dwarf in similar situations, he felt it was his duty to help as much as he could and if that meant accepting some quesitonable jobs among non-dwarves, that was a reasonable trade-off. He certainly kept little of the wealth we earned for himself, and as captain his share was certainly greater than a junior sorceress. Shyra Weaver -- the dark elf acolyte of the Lady of Shadows and rather skilled archer and trapsmith who was Tellan's second -- was the only one of us who delighted in coin for its own sake. The final member of the crew was Tellan's younger brother Prater, and both of them were among the most skilled axemen I ever met. I do not think either could best my mother axe to sword, but she would not have won easily.

I should perhaps also mention that no matter what you may think of Tellan in the main, or priestesses of the Lady of the Shadows, I have no doubt we were serving the Light in that campaign. As it happened, though, Caleb had been unaware I had joined Tellan's company. He had discovered that Tellan's company thought to catch him by posing as simple caravan guards, but believed he had enough numbers to overwhelm them. And so he attacked that caravan with nearly a hundred men. It was there that I demonstrated for the first time that I knew the Firestorm spell that was the signature of my father's line, columns of scorching fire destroying every bandit in an arc and leaving my allies and the merchants untouched. And then I found myself facing Caleb spell to spell while the rest of my company faced his henchmen. I had never found myself in that deadly dance with another caster before that day, and was not lucky enough to find myself facing someone who was both less skilled and less powerful than me. He used every trick of shadow magic he knew, and was rather more clever than I in those uses. But as young and inexperienced as I was, I was heir to a powerful sorcerous talent, and it was not one Caleb was up to deflecting. I eventually found a spell that hit the weaknesses in his defense, and then kept casting it. As a wizard, he was limited to the spells he had prepared; as a sorceress, I was not.

Still, I would not say that it was even close to easy. Shyra had to spend considerable effort with healing spells before I was fit to face the merchants' council and collect our reward. And it was only days later that I heard the tale of the battle -- where somehow I had become a great hero -- from a tavern minstrel.
Last edited by drothgery on Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Dave Rothgery
long time lurker, only recent poster ...
Lady Lillian Firestorm
Abigalan S'Mirat
Jeran
Tessa Testarossa

Sriseru
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Sriseru » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:31 am

Moira wrote:Since your Growth and Extra Limbs are Innate (and permanent with growth), you will be morphing into a 15 foot tall human with a tail! I'm not sure if that's what you want, just saying :P

Please note what your Presence bonuses are.

More a fluff question, but why does the dragon not speak Draconic?
Yes, both Growth and Extra Limbs are Permanent and Innate, but the Human Form is an Alternate Effect to the Container (Basically Human Form is an AE to her Innate Dragon Form). This build ensures that my character can only change between those two forms and cannot, for instance, make herself smaller while in Dragon Form.

I will add where I've allocated the Presence bonuses.

Regarding your question, I wasn't sure what, if any, languages existed within your setting, so I chose Common as a preliminary generic choice. Anyway, do you still require languages to cost one Advantage each?

deathsap
Cohort
Cohort

Post by deathsap » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:41 am

Moira wrote: I'm not sure if Grimaw's Firebreath Limit is really a limit. A quirk at best.
Limit is generally for things that make it half as effective, so only being able to use it half the time in combat would be a valid limit.
Good Luck!

JeminiZero
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by JeminiZero » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:46 am

How do you feel about Worms that Walk?

"Like I said, the mask is for YOUR protection"

Standard D&D fluff says that they are always evil Arcane spellcasters, but I am thinking of making him/it true neutral, and possibly a priest...

Incidentally, how does magical themes interact with healing magic? Normal D&D has all healing as conjuration (healing). So are all healing priests by necessity conjurers?

Edit: On a related note, will you be splitting up monster knowledge skill types? Or will everything be clustered under Expertise: Magic?

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EPIC » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:22 am

Eww.... Why? >_<

JeminiZero
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by JeminiZero » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:36 am

Because I usually play oddball concepts... :mrgreen: Also, the following conversation ran through my head:

Worm that Walks Priest: You are gravely injured, I can heal you if you...

Sorceress: Don't. Touch. Me.*

*This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, or previously submitted Sorceress, is entirely coincidental.

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EPIC » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:41 am

I'm pretty sure 'worms that walk' is taking a running leap past 'oddball' into Icksville. >_< lol

Mr.United
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by Mr.United » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:55 am

JeminiZero wrote:How do you feel about Worms that Walk?

"Like I said, the mask is for YOUR protection"

Standard D&D fluff says that they are always evil Arcane spellcasters, but I am thinking of making him/it true neutral, and possibly a priest...

Incidentally, how does magical themes interact with healing magic? Normal D&D has all healing as conjuration (healing). So are all healing priests by necessity conjurers?

Edit: On a related note, will you be splitting up monster knowledge skill types? Or will everything be clustered under Expertise: Magic?
Worm that Walks is Lovecraftian in nature if you wished to scope it out from there. D&D just formed him into a monster.

Aerlock
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Aerlock » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:36 am

Moira wrote:
Atomickat wrote:Heh, guess I got carried away :lol: Thanks for clearing this up. I'll make the changes.
Also, a quick scan of your character. You might want to check the first post for houserules on Arrays and Presence :)
Hrmmm...I was just re-reading the thread and noticed this post. I'm going to have to rework the magic array for my Lizardfolk druid into a few of them. Looking at the 2e build I had and the D&D spells they're based off of, it looks like I'm going to have 3: a Transmutation array (Bear's Endurance, Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, Owl's Wisdom), a Conjuration array (Cure Wounds, Summon Nature's Ally) and an Evocation array (Flame Blade, Light).

Also if you look at my Lizardfolk Druid you'll see I had the Shapeshifting as part of the magic array so that mechanically I couldn't cast spells while shapeshifted, which fit with the Druid alternate class feature from D&D I was trying to reproduce. Any suggestions on how I would model that if I have multiple magic arrays? Or were you saying you only wanted us to be limited to one array of up to 4 powers?

- Aerlock
awww...I don't have a signature :(
But I do have character(s)!

deathsap
Cohort
Cohort

Post by deathsap » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:00 am

I'm putting together a Cleric Build.
Going for Armoured templar type guy just letting people know. :P
Good Luck!