Age of Wonders thread IV

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Age of Wonders thread IV

Postby Voltron64 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:37 pm

Charles Phipps wrote:Torment invaded their world, steamrolled them, and was in inches of burning the entire planet to the ground when he pulled back (because he was facing the Outrageous Order). It was one of the most impotent moments of the heroes ever.

They more or less think of him as Omega.

Despite, well, he wasn't actually even TRYING to take over. It was a minor invasion supervised by a clone with half his power.

Huh, I'd have thought he'd attempt to go all Doom 2099 on the place.
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:40 pm

Also, did Torment base his own cybernetics as his Torbots and Cyber-Heroes off One-Above-All technology?

Or was he smart enough to not directly reverse-engineer that equipment and rather just had it be an influence for his designs?

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:53 pm

Voltron64 wrote:Huh, I'd have thought he'd attempt to go all Doom 2099 on the place.

That is what he does to most worlds. However, the simple fact is they're such horrible heroes they couldn't do a dang thing against him.

Also, did Torment base his own cybernetics as his Torbots and Cyber-Heroes off One-Above-All technology?

Or was he smart enough to not directly reverse-engineer that equipment and rather just had it be an influence for his designs?

The best description of HOW SMART torment is. No, he doesn't base any of his technology on OAA tech.

The OAA, however, have copied many of his tech designs into THEIRS.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:55 pm

Alright careful now, Charles. Don't want this man becoming a Villain Sue. :wink:

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:57 pm

Voltron64 wrote:Alright careful now, Charles. Don't want this man becoming a Villain Sue. :wink:

It's not. It's just that magic + technology is (secretly) One's thing.

:mrgreen:

Anyway, Torment has been a technical genius since he was nine and won the Boonta Eve podrace. Err, I mean KOONTA Keve.....repulsor.

Eh, nevermind.

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EnigmaticOne » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:12 pm

Ok, so he got stupid enough to be manipulated by some old guy politicians with creepy words. That totally breaks the Sue element, when you get played by Elector Vivazine. :wink:
Impeach the peach!

Phrozen
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Phrozen » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:31 pm

Charles Phipps wrote:
Voltron64 wrote:Alright careful now, Charles. Don't want this man becoming a Villain Sue. :wink:

It's not. It's just that magic + technology is (secretly) One's thing.

Anyway, Torment has been a technical genius since he was nine and won the Boonta Eve podrace. Err, I mean KOONTA Keve.....repulsor.

Eh, nevermind.

So Jackson and Devereux are gonna own him lock, stock, and barrel?

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:38 pm

Hehehe.

Great bit with the Machinist/Torment connection, Phrozen.

Brilliant idea.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:59 am

A Day In the Life of a New York City Superhero

It's good to be a good guy.

That's why I fly around New York City and fight crime. That and it's hard to imagine what life would be like in NYC if people didn't do it. We were barely holding on as a city with all the people doing their part as is. If the few superheroes in the city didn't keep fighting, well, it'd be like Escape from New York with less Kurt Russel.

I don't have superpowers, well, not really. Instead, I have a harness and specialized suit of armor that let's me fly. It was my first invention upon joining the Institute and why I call myself, Phoenix Girl. You know, after the Phoenix Force F...err Seven. Sorry, still getting used to that, though I love Sailor Cosmos.

I'm constantly upgrading my suit in order to keep up with the times. Unfortunately, one of these upgrades is a camouflage and stealth unit. PART has taken to using sonar and motion-detection devices in the areas I usually fly in hopes of catching me. They did the same for Dragonfly who was, "killed while resisting arrest." I try not to hate them for just doing their job but I do. They're bullies and scum who hide behind a badge.

Still, I have to rise above them.

My cybernetic scanner tells me there's a bank robbery going on and I momentarily smile at the traditional nature of the crime. The majority of supervillain crimes in New York City were less public. Personally, I didn't think assassination, drug-dealing, human trafficking, extortion, and terrorism were any different if you wore a costume or not.

When I arrived over the bank, I saw a dozen of NYPD's finest frozen up to their necks in "quick drying steel" from Freelancer's latest invention. His roller-skating harpy of a partner was beating the crud of out a dozen SWAT members with her super-speed and a metal hockey stick.

I hated those two. I'd been good friends with the Trixsters and the fact they had similar powers to their leads did NOT make them a resurrected Technopath and Getaway w/ plastic surgery, no matter what the tabloids said.

"HALT EVIL DOER!" I shouted, spreading my wings above them and firing my enegry sphere down at them. Both were knocked to the ground. It was cheesy but I was a huge fan of Atlas comics, especially Athena and Black Wing.

"Huh," Freelancer said, getting up. "I thought you were dead. Either that or smart enough to realize this town doesn't want real heroes anymore."

I settled down protectively in front of the overwhelmed cops. They were thankful. The boys in Blue didn't believe in PART's Neo-Gestapo message. If they did, I wouldn't be able to function.

"What do you know about real heroes?" I said, sneering.

"Think fast!" Driver slammed me in the chest with a hockey stick before zipping across the street and knocking a hockey puck at my head, hitting it six times in the air from different angles before it smashed into my helmet.

Freelancer said, "I know enough to know they die here and no one cares. This is a mob bank, Phoenix Girl and the REAL villains are going to be showing up soon."

"I see two real ones already," I said, getting up with a monstrous headache. Driver attempted to hit me again but I electrified my suit and her metal hockey stick knocked her to the ground. I was about to take down Technopath when I heard a THUMP noise.

Aww crud.

Turning around, I saw the airlifted down Gundam-like form of a gigantic robotic T-rex. Beside him was a half-dozen other robotic dinosaurs. All of them had television sets built into their stomaches with the deranged visage of their inventor on them.

"HEY KIDS!" The man said in a nightmarishly squeaky gameshow-host voice. "IT'S TIME TO PLAY!"

Sierra Leone had sent Captain Carnage. Just my luck. There was no way I was up for this. That was when there was a flashing bar of glowing crimson light, a lot of static, and the sight of said blade bouncing around through the T-Rex. It fell to pieces all around me as both Driver and Freelancer got up and looked horrified. The glowing bar of red light returned to the hand of a man who somehow looked terrifying despite wearing a hooded bathrobe.

Aiming the bar at Freelancer and Driver, a voice sounding like the Christian Bale Batman hissed. "Freelancer and Driver, for the crimes you have committed against this city, I sentence you to death."

Slayer.

Great.

The guy who should really be ineffectual and funny but who could level city-blocks. I hated Driver and Freelancer but they didn't deserve to die. I was going to have to protect them from both Slayer and Captain Carnage while trying to arrest them. Then I'd have to get away before PART's reinforcements arrived to kill us all.

This was just not my day.

It was a pretty typical one, though.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:15 am

The Spider

Jealousy is a poison.

Alan Parker was Thomas Walker's life-long best freinds. The two of them were the sort of geeky high school friends who devoured comics, video games, and other mass media by the truckload. Thomas was the smarter of the two but Alan Parker was close behind and the two decided to go to college together. It was their intention, more dream than substance, to eventually do special effects for Lucasfilm or ink for Marvel comics.

These plans were derailed when Thomas gained superpowers on N-day. Powers he used to become a faux-Jedi Knight who wandered the streets fighting crime. Alan Parker's reaction to his friends abilities was a mixture of contempt and envy. Alan Parker was stunned he hadn't gained abilities on N-Day and criticized how ridiculous Thomas looked. It didn't help that the bathrobe and toy-wielding superhero possessed powers just short of Super Dragon Punch Zero.

Their friendship didn't immediately end and Alan tried to suppress his feelings. He helped Thomas find crimes to thwart, people to save, and good-deeds to do. However, at the end of the day, Alan believed he could do better than his friend. The final straw came when Alan Parker was rescued by the Innocent from one of the Mysterious Jedi's foes and she fell for Thomas. Alan had crushed on the pure-as-snow heroine for years and watching his ludicrous friend win her over crushed him.

So Alan became one of Mister Carnae's Disciples.

Their initial meeting didn't go as planned with Mister Carnae torturing him until he soiled himself multiple times, irritated at the idea some peon believed he cared about his personal drama. The revelation that he was friends with the "boyfriend" of Mister Carnae's favorite pupil, however, intrigued him. Having his cultists hose Alan down, Mister Carnae gave the Queens-native one minute to explain why he should care.

What followed was a forty minute rant from Parker seething with more betrayal, hatred, and venom than Cain felt against Abel. Mister Carnae was genuinely impressed that someone could internalize that much spite against someone who had, to all accounts, been nothing but supportive to him. Mister Carnae was doubly impressed since he was able to pick out that Thomas Walker had made elaborate efforts to include his friend in his superheroism and that Thomas' "silly" Jedi costume was to keep people from being terrified of him.

Sensing that Alan Parker had a soul of almost pure evil, Mister Carnae tutored him for the next six months in the ways of black mysticism. Alan Parker balked at nothing for the pursuit of being a "superhero" whether it was raping strangers, human sacrifice, or acquiring a baby off the black market for things better left unspoken. Finally, to complete his training, Mister Carnae had Alan Parker capture Thomas Walker and torture him for months. Mister Carnae made sure that Thomas was masked the entire time so the final revelation would break the Mysterious Jedi.

It did.

Feeling triumphant, Alan Parker proceeded to leave and used his newfound occult powers to give himself the abilities of Spiderman. He even designed a knock-off costume and has been prowling the city streets ever since. The irony that he's even more of a rip-off than Thomas is lost on him and he spends most of his time beating up poor people or minorities.

He sustains himself with robbery and has committed numerous horrific murders to maintain his powers. As far as Alan's concerned, he's a "hero" simply because that's what he is. Sierra Leone considers him a Psycho For Hire and has used him multiple times. The Organization, Octagon, and even Torment have all employed him as a useful fool who works for money as well as the slightest bit of flattery.

The Spider is terrified of Pugnus Dei and has worked tirelessly to try to eliminate him. This is because during one of his few fights against superheroes, the boxer proceeded to beat the superpowered figure within an inch of his life. The Spider has been preying on the homeless in hopes of luring Pugnus Dei out--believing only if he kills him he can regain his horrific self-respect. The Spider is actively dismissive of "Slayer sightings" even when they're eliminating his fellow Netherworld cultist allies. He doesn't want to believe Thomas could recover from the breaking he gave him. If he does find out Thomas is alive, it's
anyone's guess what will happen.

The Spider may call upon the power of the Titans to try and survive, even if it means destroying New York in the process.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:49 am

Only in Age of Wonders would you find a Dark Jedi fighting an evil Spider-Man. :wink:

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:23 am

Voltron64 wrote:Only in Age of Wonders would you find a Dark Jedi fighting an evil Spider-Man. :wink:

I think it might happen in the Crinosverse or Mightyverse too.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:55 pm

The Necrosa Order

The Brotherhood of Enlightenment is not the only organization which existed before N-Day. Well before the arrival of superpowers on Earth, there was a legend of a secret-society of assassins which continued functioning centuries after its heyday during Renaissance Italy. Like the mafia, the Necrosa Order survived through codes of silence and family lineages which made it capable of existing far after someone should have brought the sinister group down. Unlike the mafia, the Necrosa Order has never been particularly large and its depravities keep anyone from glamorizing the group too much.

The Necrosa Order was founded not long after the Pazzi Conspiracy when Lorenzo di Medici purged the family of its membership. In our world, that was the end of the story but in this one, Archbishop Francesco Salviati Riario managed to escape from the lynch mob which killed him in ours. His death prevented the Pope from galvanizing support against Lorenzo but resulted in Archbishop deciding to create an organization of priests, laymen, and hidden Pazzi survivors to take their revenge.

What followed was a two year war with the Medici family consisting entirely of assassinations, sabotage, and banditry. The Necrosa Order, as it became known, incorporated secret oaths, costumes, and angelogy into their sect as they worked to overthrow Lorenzo. Amazingly, Lorenzo survived but not without the entire affair becoming a massive scandal. Hundreds were killed and the Necrosa Order was as infamous as the Borgias. In the end, Pope Sixtus IV was forced to declare them heretics and order the organization banned.

The fact the Pazzi survivors were engaging in common banditry to supplement themselves as well as leaving rather grumesome messages in public contributed to this. The Pazzi, supposedly, stole over a million ducats in gold during this time.

Quite a bit belonging to the Pope.

Unfortunately, by this time, the Necrosa Order had already established a great deal of wealth and power while becoming extremely fanatical in its opposition to Lorenzo. Pazzi survivors who were eliminated in our world survived and considered their losses intolerable. Changing their name but maintaining their meetings, they soon became involved in numerous plots against both the Medicis as well as the Pope. Both Sixtus IV and Lorenzo died two years earlier on Earth-0, neither of which gave the Necrosa Order the power or vengeance they desired.

The Necrosa Order survived by selling its services as guerilla mercenaries as well as assassins for the next few centuries. Branches even propped up in France and the Americas during the 17th century with New Orleans infamous for the "Satanic rites" of its murderous membership. They were particularly notable during WW1 and campaigns in Africa, where the families linked to the Order made fortunes war-profiteering as well as engaging in gross human rights abuses. Yes, even more so than usual.

The group was supposedly destroyed by Mussolini in the 1930s but actually gained a revival as their assassination of him six months ahead of his death on our world gained them a kind of heroic reputation they quickly spent by supporting Operation: Gladio. As always, the Necrosa Order used their situation to line their pockets as well as place corrupt members of their order in positions of political prominance.

N-Day proved a wind-fall for the Necrosa Order as almost 90% of its assassins gained superpowers. Their debased rituals to Samael and other angels of death all granted them supernatural powers, transforming them into a major power overnight. Orgies of succubi, blood-curses, and other weirdness made Italy a very troubled state for some time.

The Necrosa Order suffered a serious setback, though, when Moonatic, The Innocent, and The Mysterious Jedi joined Italy's Five Stars team in The Cleansing of Florence. The relatively minor heroes destroyed all of their demonic allies and the majority of their family leadership perished in the fire which resulted from their attempts to summon Samael (and which, instead, summoned "The Archangel"). With the timely assistance of Mister Arcane, the city was saved and the Necrosa Order destroyed.

Which is why the family has moved its headquarters to their Upstate New York mansions as well as their business offices to Manhattan. They have also signed a permanent treaty with the Netherworld, proividing that body with access to some of the world's greatest assassins. This doesn't stop them from being employed by the Octagon or Organization, however.

Or PART, for that matter.

As can be imagined, the Cleansing is something which bothers them tremendously. It's not just they lost. It's that they lost to THOSE three heroes. They have standard bounties on all three of them as well as Mister Arcane but no one has collected yet. The presence of Slayer in New York City has given them plenty of opportunities to try and kill him--so many, they've started employing the Wax Works to attack him on a regular basis with clone Italian ninjas.

Necrosa Order assassins come in three varieties. The first are regular humans recruited for their skill as assassins. The Necrosa Order searches the Special Forces of the world as well as the criminal underworld for sociopaths who possess skills above and beyond the call of duty. They have former CIA, Mossad, and even Jihadist members in addition to their family-raised ones. These are called Brothers in the order.

High Brothers are those members who display a little something extra and by a little something, I mean the non-powered members are more or less evil Batmen. A High Brother of the Order is usually theatrical, insane, and fully possessed of action-movie abilities--only they're the villains. Vega from Street Fighter is a stereotypical Necrosa Order member, though Italian instead of Spanish. High Brothers tend to be members of the Pazzi family and possessed of inherited mental illness as well as sociopathy (particularly narcissism, sociopathy, disassociative personality disorder, or schizophrenia).

Bishops are members who possess supernatural powers. They used to merely handle the rituals of the group as well as financing but have since gone on to become Archangel cultists. Despite this, they remain as greedy and self-serving as ever, balancing their loyalty to the Order with the horrific debased rites they conduct in their god's name.

The Head of the Necrosa Order is the Vicar of Samael who is, by tradition, the greatest assassin in the group. The current one is a wizened old man who somehow has been energized to be the most dangerous killer in the world. He is also a necromancer of considerable power and stores the souls of every one of the people the Necrosa Order kills. He's keeping this energy for reasons that his Bishops do not yet understand.

He intends to create a Rapture--a non-Catholic belief--which will give all of the world to the Archangel.
Last edited by Charles Phipps on Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:06 pm

They're very Assassins Creed 2/Brotherhood, Charles.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:08 pm

Voltron64 wrote:They're very Assassins Creed 2/Brotherhood, Charles.

Oddly enough, I was wondering. "I wonder if people will think they're too close to the Giovanni from Vampire: The Masquerade."

Edited a bit more into the article about their skills.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Settings”