Age of Wonders thread IV

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Age of Wonders thread IV

Post by Voltron64 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:19 pm

Libra wrote:Voltron, you've very much struck upon the line of thought I intended to follow when fleshing out Captain Zero! :mrgreen:
I am?

Well then...
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:37 am

You've earned that - now make sure you call the Insurance Company and make sure we're covered for Fire Damage! :mrgreen:
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:05 pm

Libra, I do have a few questions involving the Protectors I was hoping you might answer.

1. Where exactly is the island of Benghalia meant to be located? Somewhere near Madagascar and the coast of East Africa? Because I'm visualizing Shalanya as looking Afro-Indian.

2. The Shaman is meant to be Sub-Saharan, correct? And what do you think of my old suggestion of him having an heavily extended lifespan thanks to a steady diet of mystical potions?

3. You are aware that "Phoenix" Hawthorne is actually younger than his Earth-0 counterpart due to the latter having spent decades starting a family in Satrap Mars with Maria Tesla and traversing the Nexus?

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Neo-Paladin » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:26 pm

We are currently talking about one of the parallel earths again, right?

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:19 am

Neo-Paladin wrote:We are currently talking about one of the parallel earths again, right?
If there's a fictional nation, then yes.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:13 am

When it comes to The Atomic Think Tank, one suspects that the question should be "WHICH parallel earth are we talking about this time?" but that's just my delusions of humour projecting whimsy through my fingertips - to be precise Voltron and I are about to discuss Earth-1938 (basically created when Charles mentioned The Octagon's world-hopping past and I elected to interpret this as an excuse to create an homage to Old-School superheroes - i.e. Pulp and Golden Age, more or less).

1. Where exactly is the island of Benghalia meant to be located? Somewhere near Madagascar and the coast of East Africa? Because I'm visualizing Shalanya as looking Afro-Indian.
Voltron, I must admit that Benghalia is a creation of Charles Phipps (mentioned casually in his own description of Earth-1938), so he can probably give you a better idea of it's location; however since that seems just a bit of a cop-out I will go on the record and state that I personally imagine it as not quite equidistant between Africa, Australia and India (just far enough from the major sea-lanes to make it's first appearance an unexpected discovery, rather than an inexplicable apparition).

When it first appeared (sometime in the Early 20th Century) it was possessed by no native inhabitants, but given that it was in a strategically interesting position and stuffed to the bursting with strange peculiarities of prehistoric nature (sadly no Dinosaurs, but I'm informed that a surfeit of marsupial monsters and killer birds were excessive compensation for those terrible lizards); it was also sprinkled with ancient, ruined and yet peculiarly advanced technology - and at least some eyewitnesses claimed that new finds just appeared on the island every so often, looking as if they had been shot from the other side of some great divide or fallen from heaven.

Given all this abundance of the extra-ordinary, it should be rather unsurprising that various schools of adventurers descended in considerable numbers with the inevitable consequences - to whit exploration, fornication, freebooting, faction-fighting, back-stabbing, highway robbery, palaeontology, biology, archaeology, tomb-robbing, piracy on the high seas and party after party heading into the islands exterior.

As one observer put it "D------ interesting fellows about in those days."

The island disappeared sometime in 1938 under mysterious circumstances (mostly because the not-quite-yet formed Protectors of the Nexus made d--- sure that it's inhabitants were too busy being evacuated to pay much attention to HOW their Island went the way of Atlantis), but most accounts of the evacuation make a passing mention of some sort of missile passing over the flotilla at such as speed that it's passage could only be followed by the fiery trail it left in it's wake.

More than one historian has suggested that this missile would land in the middle of the United States and open to reveal Strongman, although there is at least as much evidence that he entered E-38s dimension through some aperture over the Hidden Earth.

As for Shalanya the Tigress, once again Charles may have his own ideas, but I'm willing to agree that making her Afro-Asian would be visually intriguing, although I suspect her character, like that of many youths who came of age on Benghalia, could only be described as 'cosmopolitan' and 'eccentric' by any civilised standards from Chicago to Cairo to Calcutta or almost anywhere else. Given all this you may be less than surprised to learn that the relics and survivors of that mysterious island (not to mention the information acquired in the course of their expeditions) would have quite an impact on the development of the E-38 superhuman community.

2. The Shaman is meant to be Sub-Saharan, correct? And what do you think of my old suggestion of him having an heavily extended lifespan thanks to a steady diet of mystical potions?
The Shaman is definitely even older than he looks (although he's notoriously secretive about the precise method by which he's prolonged his life so I couldn't say with any certainty how his vigour has lasted so long) but I could not honestly say with any certainty what ethnicity he belongs to (quite frankly he's been travelling for so long and 'gone native' so many times that even HE isn't certain which people he started out from), so it's safest to call him ambiguously tribal and leave it there.

I admit that others may have their own ideas, which is in fact part of the reason why I'm leaving the details ambiguous.
3. You are aware that "Phoenix" Hawthorne is actually younger than his Earth-0 counterpart due to the latter having spent decades starting a family in Satrap Mars with Maria Tesla and traversing the Nexus?
I can only plead 'Wibbly-wobbly timey-whimey' confusion, then state that I see Hawthorne and Chief as having made their debut at a somewhat earlier age than their E-0 counterparts; that's my excuse and I intend to stick with it!

On a more serious note, Phoenix and The Chief are just the latest in a series of substitutions intended to fill the empty place on the teams roster left by the heroic, tragic demise of The Masked Vigilante and seem to have done so to extreme mutual satisfaction - even if they are a bit more Sci-Fi than the distinctively Pulp Protectors are used to.
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:57 am

Well anyways, I think I've found a perfect pic for Doc Zodiac.

And are the 60s/Current generation of the Lamplighters next on your agenda, Libra?

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:04 am

At this point I don't really have an agenda or even any particular 'Must Post!' ideas (at least not for Age of Wonders - I'm actually thinking of posting an article on the Freedom City thread).

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:06 am

Libra wrote:At this point I don't really have an agenda or even any particular 'Must Post!' ideas (at least not for Age of Wonders - I'm actually thinking of posting an article on the Freedom City thread).
Yeah, that's thread is way for an update anyway. (I'd better bump it if need to. :wink: )

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:27 am

In honor of the Wolf Amongst Us Coming out tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldlmY1FdxLI#t=13

GRIMMSBROOKE, MASS!

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:49 pm

Well, now it's time to go through ALL of the stuff I've missed.

(Index updated, BTW)

HED comments part 1!
Earth-HED! isn't paradise, but it seems to have moved much further through purgatory than the version of Heroic Earth we're most familiar with - admittedly this might be more because it has enjoyed a slightly shorter Age of Heroes, rather than fewer threats and more than a few lucky breaks to boot (Jack Washington Junior narrowly managing to turn right where on another world he took a sinister turn being a particularly potent example)
On the other hand this is also a world where the man who would otherwise have become Alexander Timmons turned into The Globalist thanks to the mercurial local timeline (blame Merlin, because no other explanation has yet been uncovered) giving George Timmons a few more years with his wife and child (also because Death Mask is STILL a jerk), so not everything has turned out for the best or even as prior experience would lead us to expect.
UNITY in that world operates as pretty much the same sort of threat the House of Serpents did, only on a global scale as well as a x1000 times more competent than its Heroic Earth antecedent did. The recent discovery that the Globalist is actually the result of time-meddling by Death Mask might change things, though, as its entirely possible history was not meant to make him the planet's deadliest conqueror.

Of course, this being Death Mask and his plans NEVER working out the way they want, the Globalist as raised by him STILL holds him in contempt and is more idealistic than determined to conquer the world.
Partly that's because the wider Age of Wonders universe has begun to cross into the E-HED! continuum, partly due to some peculiar temporal distortions allowing a wide range of individuals to change from predecessors and successors to peers, but also it seems because our choices make a difference (and even when it's only a small difference these tend to add up to something bigger when they grow numerous enough).
Heroic Earth's entry into the larger Nexus (due to the efforts of Legendary Iron Phoenix meeting Death Mask III disguised as a kindly inventor) has rather put Earth-0 to shame. Heroic Earth's heroes has fully taken to adventuring on other worlds. Their behavior is significantly more circumspect than the Order and moral, albeit somewhat questionably effective in some places.

(The Order being of the more Daenerys Stormborn "Fire and Blood" liberation)

Still, they're making more of a splash with their full commitment to saving the Multiverse.
The Liberators - Sometimes still known as the Liberty-Men, unless Athena and Jenny Sprockets happen to be in the room, no-one is quite certain when they made their debut but everyone knows that they're the world's first generation of superheroes and quite arguably still the finest, even if they are getting a touch long in the tooth to be taking the fight to EVIL on a daily basis (some of them will even admit this, usually right before Grey-Wing glowers and Antaeus guffaws at the very idea).

With that and the well-being of those young heroes who don't fancy private education with the Tomorrow Society (or just want to hang out more with their costumed grandparents) in mind, The Liberators have been kept busy putting the Liber-teens through their paces and hauling their juniors carcasses out of the fire when the heat gets too much for any band of youngsters to handle.

Even when those youngsters happen to be The Patriots (ESPECIALLY when the Patriots are concerned - can't let The World's Mightiest Heroes forget Earth's Finest are all the better for age).
The Liberty Men were actually rescued from the Unmasking Massacre by the actions of a time traveling figure who suspiciously resembles Doctor Justice. Now in their 40s and 50s, they arrived in the eighties for about four years then moved up to the Modern Era. Their influence and their lack of concrete deaths kept the world much better on track.
Twilight - It turns out even that when George Timmons nephew lives long enough to grow out of being an emotionally-needy and obsessively controlling jerk he's STILL just a bit more invested in noblesse oblige and playing chess-master than any 21st century hero really should be.

Still, he gets results and those results are pretty spectacular, which given the state of this Falconcrest City (all the old favourites are running loose AT THE SAME TIME, including Blood-wing) is a big help to his uncle George - whom he still loves dearly, although he's thankfully toned down that fatal degree of Hero Worship.

He and Eugene Timmons butt heads just as often as you'd expect, but more in the manner of a highly dysfunctional family relationship than the 'RIVALS TO THE PAIN' style another worlds version of Alexander Timmons never ever enjoyed.

Twilight keeps trying to claim he came up with his name before THOSE novels came out, mostly because his only attempt to change his codename to Star-Wing provoked some memorable 'caped crusader ... With SPARKLES!' jokes.
Twilight has long since come to the conclusion that his gritty brand of antiheroism just doesn't work in a world of superpowered gorillas and jetpacks. However, that doesn't mean it doesn't work in OTHER worlds. He's found himself far more successful in eliminating psychopaths, serial killers, and child molesters that seem to proliferate in other worlds. He's already considering joining the Order or similar group.

Oddly, he's NEVER been tempted to joined the Justicars as as much as he prefers to go to the extremes against bad guys--he'll NEVER join a group which disrespects his father.
The Justicars - a much-less psychotic septuplet of superhuman champions thanks to the fact that Moss Pit has never been anything more than an associate, Jack Union was kicked out at super-speed and they were blessed with The Radioactive Viking instead of Manhattan Project (who seems perfectly content to hang out with The Liberators instead); they still have to deal with Jane Union but she seems more colourful than terrible these days (at least when she's on her meds and gets paid the occasional visit by Jack with no-one the wiser).

Filling those places are Robin Hood (actually Marianne Sussex-Locksley, wearing a fake beard with Uncle Jim nattering in her ear - sometimes helpfully) and Samson, who seem happy to help Ymir keep things on the up-and-up rather than caught on the slippery slope heading downhill (well, except when Sam is on one of his benders and Marianne isn't trying to part someone's valuables from her uncle's sticky fingers).

The fact that the local Red Jaguar is a very young JC Quatermain helps too (even if 'Uncle Leopard' keeps trying to resume the title), especially given that he's rather good at coping with Aquarius' melodrama and keeping the team on-target
In actuality, the Union twins are far less psychotic due to the fact that their younger selves were informally adopted by the Liberators. In the words of a movie figure, "there was nothing wrong with either that giving them a good asskicking every day couldn't fix." They're still both enormous ass****** but they're more about bad attitude than mass murder.

I love the new personal group, though, and think Robin Hood is a GREAT addition to the group.
Cassius and Serena Mass - currently obliged to play second fiddle to Helios in the ranks of the Gene Nation, even while he exercises more practical authority on a day-to-day basis than his mentor and rival for the post of 'God-King to the Gene Nation' (who continues to breeze through Genesis Island like a prophet through the Book of Kings); amusingly he still sometimes calls himself the King of Hearts in this world (although usually only in the media or when schmoozing with his latest lady-friend).

Oddly he seems MUCH older than Madame Tomorrow (although the two are still clearly siblings AND she still calls herself 'Madam' rather 'Mademoiselle'), who still effectively runs the Tomorrow Society as a youth movement with more than it's share of after-school classes under the benign supervision of Rev. Alexander Byrne.
Not much to add but really nice write-up.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:14 pm

(The Lamplighters are Earth-1986, not Earth-HED! Charles.)

One thing to note about Death Mask's encounter with Iron Phoenix is that the former hopes to never encounter the latter any time soon.

Seriously, he nearly lost his life once Iron Phoenix and the rest of the Phoenix Force started tossing away the kid gloves.

(Think The Doctor vs Lex Luthor in a battle of wits and imagine how badly things would go for LL.)

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:46 pm

HED! part 2
Death Mask - Still a jerk and one possessed of an even more touchy pride owing to the complete demolition of Sparta-Corp under the ... appendages of the Celestial Commerce Guild (one of the first points where the wider universe of AOW touched upon this somewhat difficult-to-reach part of the setting), as well as the fact that he got to raise his son as his own heir and the lad STILL went his own way in egregiously flamboyant style ('Jim' Moriarty is one of the more 'friendly' super-villains on E-HED! and eccentric to boot, but he's still not someone you'd particularly want to quarrel with).

Why is Death Mask more social? Well, he isn't really, since he HATES rivals with a venomous intensity roughly equal to the bite of a black mamba and resents being obliged to work with them to boot - but there are a LOT of super-villains on E-HED! who keep quarrelling like sicilian hillbillies while the Heroes co-operate to good effect.

SOMEONE has to get things organised and it's going to be Death Mask (or Godfather Gorilla or The Dark Undermaster - if the latter doesn't find Middle-Zoth or become involved in ANOTHER card game with Merlin*).

*They usually play poker and ALWAYS use a tarot deck because nobody wants too much of the mundane to intrude upon a good bit of urban fantasy.
This particularly Death Mask is more dangerous than his HED! version. He's still the same level of completely selfish bastard he was in the original world but he's much more capable of FAKING human emotion this time around. Death Mask knows that if people think you're not going to betray them at the first opportunity they're more likely to work for you. He's more Clancy Brown Lex Luthor than Byrne's Man of Steel.
The Timeline - Don't ask because nobody on E-HED! will give you a specific date for anything superhuman before 2008; all that's known is that The Pulp Era still occurs on schedule (and actually continues for long enough for the likes of Doc Aeon and Erich Weiss to tear Fascism to pieces - with occasional help from The Liberators on occasions remembered with peculiar vagueness and downright strange timer-wimey confusion added to blur the lines still more).

All I can say for sure is that The Pulp Era was followed by a Golden Age sometime around 1938 or the 1980s, which was then began to segue into the Modern Age sometime in 2008.

If you want to know more, ask Merlin but don't expect any CLEAR answers because I certainly got none! (Don't bother the John Smith Society - they're having too much fun getting acquainted with the Phoenix Force crew and anticipating the adventures their much-expanded cosmos may now reveal).
The Wibbly Wobbly Time Travel adventures of Doctor Justice's alternate self have played havoc with HED!'s timeline. Of course, it's had its backlashes as well. The Globalist is a result of leaving numerous 'Paradox Holes' in the timeline around HED!. It's the same effect which happened to Earth-19, only the opposite happened.

(People have tried to fix that world--and failed miserably. They've also made it worse)
The Headless Hellrider - is missing, presumed either massively hungover or mired in melodrama; the Tomorrow Society is running a pool on whether he'll turn up with his head or without it (a few of the more waggish are seeking to add 'Will show up with ANOTHER kid' to the mix).
We'll find out his current state later.

MightyDavidson
Zealot
Zealot

Post by MightyDavidson » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:19 pm

I'm starting to wonder how I'm going to integrate Dr. Justice and all his various duplicates into the Mightyverse, to be honest. After all the cool stuff you guys added to my creations, I feel as though I ought to do something special for their big debut in the Mightyverse y'know? :lol:

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:48 am

MightyDavidson wrote:I'm starting to wonder how I'm going to integrate Dr. Justice and all his various duplicates into the Mightyverse, to be honest. After all the cool stuff you guys added to my creations, I feel as though I ought to do something special for their big debut in the Mightyverse y'know? :lol:
It was just Legendary Physician by another name but I should probably find another character to abuse!