Age of Wonders thread IV

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
User avatar
Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary
Posts: 2668
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:12 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: Age of Wonders thread IV

Postby Voltron64 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:32 am

Charles Phipps wrote:Thankfully, Grimmsbrooke has no shortage of incredibly hot chicks with decent personalities.

Blame the Shifter genes keeping them healthy and fit.

They're a bit...animalistic, though.


I don't think that would a problem at all to many, many people.

More of a benefit. :mrgreen:
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

MightyDavidson
Zealot
Zealot
Posts: 1321
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:19 pm

Re: Age of Wonders thread IV

Postby MightyDavidson » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:37 am

Charles Phipps wrote:
Voltron64 wrote:
Charles Phipps wrote:Also, you know what I think would easily make some more arrogant/villianous monsters crap themselves?

Some superheroes (preferably SPD0 or his neice) doing some DBZ-esque power charging. :twisted:


Fun filled fact: Everyone in Grimmsbrooke (except for villains) loves superheroes. Handsome heroes (like Doctor Justice! Because I can't torment MD's character more) might find themselves surrounded by hundreds of adoring werewolf girls!

"I'm gay!"
"You're happy?"
"Oh come on! That's not caught on here?!"
"What?" *slobber kisses and puppy pile*

I've updated the Grimmsbrooke article too with a bit more information.


Awww Charles, you know I don't mind you tormenting my characters. :lol:

Not like I haven't done it myself from time to time. :twisted:

User avatar
Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 7867
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:09 pm
Location: Ashland, Ky
Contact:

Re: Age of Wonders thread IV

Postby Charles Phipps » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:15 pm

Next up -

Herokiller
The Esoterrics (2014)
Red Riding Hood and the Night Terrors

I'm up for suggestions too!

User avatar
Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary
Posts: 2668
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:12 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: Age of Wonders thread IV

Postby Voltron64 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:54 pm

Comments and notes on the Lamplighters would be nice too.
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

User avatar
Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 19834
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:46 pm
Location: The Green and Pleasent Isle

Re: Age of Wonders thread IV

Postby Libra » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:14 pm

Charles, I thoroughly enjoyed your articles on Grimmsbrooke, MA but will reply to your kind comments and compliments regarding my article on The Protectors of the Nexus first if that's all right.

I will remark that it's interesting to imagine Earth-Cabal as a Horror Movie brought to life (and played for tragedy, not comedy to boot) or a distinctly Grimm fairy tale at best - a little like the love-child of FABLES and The World of Darkness (Classic/Old), now I think about it.


However, they've been rather unable to do much more than stop the occasional universe-conquering despot.


Well SOMEBODY has to stop Space Hitler (or Intergalactic Stalin or Inter-dimensional Idi Amin or whichever madman or megalomaniac has found a population crazy enough to follow their orders) and these fellows have been making something that comes perilously near to being a hobby of doing just that for ... well do you want me to give the relative or subjective period of time they've been at this?

Either way it's a powerful long time.


It helps that the universe-destroying despots usually have an Ultimate Nullifier or Mother Box lying around to change things. Somehow, even when completely overpowered, they always manage to win with a well-timed punch or speech!


Well as you've noted Superhuman Tyrants tend to keep a wide variety of tools around to deal with their rivals and having said that you probably won't be surprised to hear that The Protectors have become EXTREMELY good at turning super-weapons back on their creator-masters (even better since Phoenix and The Chief joined the club), with help from their enemies' habitual misconception that they are 'Mere' Mortals - an assumption that has been killing masterminds since Dracula was bold and foolish enough to assume that a lady, her lawfully-wedded lawyer, an earl, a Texan and two MDs sounded more like a joke than a serious threat.


There is a seemingly never-ending supply of World Emperors and DIctators the group has dealt with and who form the bulk of their foes. They're particularly irritated by Mongo, the Red Emperor, The Huns, Furher Wolfenstahl, Queen Arachnia, and Doctor Tao.


Queen Arachnia
Mongo
The Red Emperor
The Huns
Fuhrer Wolfenstahl
Doctor Tao -

- Will be described at some point when I have time to post in some detail about them.


The island of Benghalia is a somewhat surreal sub-contintent, existing roughly around the latitude of India and longitude of halfway between Australia and Hawaii.

It's the perfect place for all manner of treasure hunts and extremely Pulp adventures even in the modern day.


I agree with all the above, but if I might be permitted a face-saving compromise between our respective versions of Benghalia (you say sub-continent, I say "Symbolically sunk beneath the waves to signal the dawn of the age of Superheroes") it may well be that instead of vanishing ENTIRELY on that day in '38 the majority of that mysterious sub-continent sank beneath the waves, with only a few significant outcrops remaining above water to function as relics of an earlier Age of Heroes and the home of a smaller and slightly more respectable population.

There's some fairly interesting stuff left in place in the sunken portions of Benghalia too!


Which can be quite unsettling for some of the team.

She's also a bit of a slob in terms of leaving around spears, animal kills, or trophies. Tsk-tsk-tsk.


Amusingly Jane has lived with The Tigress for YEARS (on-and-off, she's an old friend of the family) and it STILL bugs her - Moghi becomes almost equally unsettled, albeit for a slightly different reason ...


As a result, he tends to make use of expansive skill in illusions to trick his enemies as well as escape.

He also has prevented misunderstandings amongst races and angry natives that would, in other Pulps, lead to shoot outs.


As the good doctor puts it "Friendship is a power capable of moving mountains; with friends like mine you too can move Himalayan peaks old sport."

He also has prevented misunderstandings amongst races and angry natives that would, in other Pulps, lead to shoot outs.


Amusingly a great many Pulp Heroes seem to get on better with races other than their own.


In the 1970s, he and Elton John shared a lot of outfits.


As The Shaman tells "same outfits, but Reggie only WISH he undressed so well."

As Moghi tells it "I WISH he hadn't shown me the pictures from that particular album cover".

In the interests of strict accuracy The Shaman doesn't just do grass skirts and nose-bones, he's also fond of beads, buckskin and a variety of other pelts (not forgetting an interesting variety of robes, as well as other head-dresses and on at least one memorable occasion a rather fetching Douglas tartan).

Though the last sentence is quite untrue. It's more, "I hate really bad taste."


Amusingly Moghi learned everything he knows about dressing to impress from The Shaman - it's just that the latter sort of forgot his own lesson "Always look subtly foreign wherever you are" (guess which part he forgot).


The Masked Vigilante has existed a very-very long time but it's most famous member(s) are undoubtedly the antecedents of the current one (as well as direct relations) in the Wild West MV and the 1930s as well as 1970s one. Falling into the hands of a family of lawyers from the city of New Detroit, after Old Detroit burned down in a non-specific event, the Langfords fought against corruption of every single type.


The Langford family are far from the only lineage who can boast a longstanding association with The Vigilant Mask, just the first one that happened to coincide with the the rise of cinema, radio and television - they deal fairly tolerantly with the other families (and the other families get along pretty well with one another too), all the more so thanks to their involvement with Mystery-Man (members of those lineages most interested in assuming The Mask helped to create and their descendants continue to sustain this particular identity - a useful channel for the energies of those fitted to wear The Mask but passed over by it).

It should also be noted that while families may feel a connection to The Vigilant Mask, IT goes where it is needed and takes no interest in the bloodline of the one who gets it there.

The Masked Vigilante is interesting in that they don't seem to have any real powers but are so extraordinarily lucky they always achieve their aims.


As more than one Masked Vigilante has put it "We have plenty of luck, but telling the good from the bad can be a bother."

And yes, the family has been known to recruit extremely talented individuals to fill up their occasionally lacking skill sets. Sometimes these individuals are ethnic. What of it?


"When you find a faithful friend you don't give a hoot what colour they may happen to be."


Her only regret is they made that bloody cartoon series where she's the star so people remember her as the 14 year old "The Adventures of Jane Speed" rather than the capable magical Tomb Raider she is today.


Amusingly she remains more bonnie than buxom; while somewhere in her mid-twenties she can still be mistaken for a teenager (mid-to-late teens).

It should also be noted that her 'control' over animals is based more on friendship than phenomenal psychic power - they don't always do what she'd like them to, but on the whole they do their best to help out according to their nature and abilities.

As far as we know they don't actually SPEAK to her, but that does not by any means stop Jane translating for them Kipling-style, much to The Tigress' mild bemusement.
Last edited by Libra on Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

User avatar
Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary
Posts: 2668
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:12 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: Age of Wonders thread IV

Postby Voltron64 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:22 pm

Libra wrote: Well as you've noted Superhuman Tyrants tend to keep a wide variety of tools around to deal with their rivals and having said that you probably won't be surprised to hear that The Protectors have become EXTREMELY good at turning super-weapons back on their creator-masters (even better since Phoenix and The Chief joined the club), with help from their enemies' habitual misconception that they are 'Mere' Mortals - an assumption that has been killing masterminds since Dracula was bold and foolish enough to assume that a lady, her lawfully-wedded lawyer, an earl, a Texan and two MDs sounded more like a joke than a serious threat.


Okay, the way it come offs, it sounds like you're basically describing the protagonists from Dracula as if they were a party of PCs.

Which is awesome. :mrgreen:
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

User avatar
Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 19834
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:46 pm
Location: The Green and Pleasent Isle

Re: Age of Wonders thread IV

Postby Libra » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:25 pm

Well when you think about it, is that not what they WERE? (in my honest opinion people tend to unduly neglect the Harker Hunt in favour of Dracula to the point where I would be interested in seeing a Dracula movie that treated it's titular monster in the style of Jaws - a frightening intrusion upon everyday life and a rather monstrous one at that, seldom seen).


I'm up for suggestions too!


Comments and notes on the Lamplighters would be nice too.


Charles, while I would be vary glad to read any comments you may wish to make (Please and Thank You!), if you wish to post on something entirely different then please feel free to do just that; I myself shall see what I can come up with to fill up an article or two of my own. :)
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!



Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!



Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

User avatar
Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 7867
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:09 pm
Location: Ashland, Ky
Contact:

Re: Age of Wonders thread IV

Postby Charles Phipps » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:52 pm

Can't wait to see the Grimmsbrooke thoughts, Libra!

User avatar
Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 7867
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:09 pm
Location: Ashland, Ky
Contact:

Re: Age of Wonders thread IV

Postby Charles Phipps » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:53 pm

Grimmsbrooke Residents part 2

Jerry Coldman: Jerry Coldman is one of the few pure blooded humans in town. He has no shifter, magic, witch, elf, dark elf, dwarf, fairy, pixie, demon, dragon, or devil blood. This makes him peculiarly vulnerable but has just made him twice as determined. As the chief (and only) investigative reporter of the Grimmsbrooke Crier, he serves as the town's unofficial monster hunter extraordinaire. He is less interested in hunting down and destroying the supernatural than exposing the truth. Because the town is in such denial about the supernatural, however, he has to publish a second Tabloid paper called The Lunacy which does the best journalism in the city. Jerry has an assistant named Miss Hound, who is a full-blooded werewolf that has taken it upon herself to be his bodyguard.

Jerry, unlike the majority of citizens, is free to leave Grimmsbrooke at will. As a result, he's actively searching for new superheroes to take up residence.


Thomas Beltraine: An American Horror writer who believes he's the reincarnated soul of Edgar Allan Poe. Thomas Belltraine has the peculiar idea that Poe was also a monster hunter. A member of both the Wands and the Grey Coven, Thomas Beltraine does all manner of magical spells for the locals in-exchange for their help in writing his popular Urban Fantasy series known as the "Shadowtown Chronicles." While not quite as popular as Stephen King, he's managed to use the books to help fund the Wands as well as slip in a large amount of "real" occult knowledge to the public at large.

Due to the death of Thomas' wife and child during N-Day, he's become morbidly depressed and has something of a suicidal streak. That's why he runs head first into any dangerous situation and attempts to actively fight the Titans. Somehow, perhaps because God protects fools, he's survived dozens of situations he shouldn't have. Unfortunately, this isn't the same for his allies and this has only further convinced him that he deserves to die. Actual suicide is unlikely to happen, however, as long as he's stuck with a werefox orphan he rescued from one of the Black Coven's sacrificial altars.

Thomas is usually accompanied by a magical talking raven named Floyd. Floyd's sardonic humor and encyclopedic knowledge of the supernatural helps prevent his death as well.


The Forsaken Knight: The founder of the Knights of Charming. The Forsaken Knight waged unimaginable war against the Titans and held them at bay with the power of True LoveTM for centuries. Unfortunately, the Titans eventually broke his spirit by appealing to his pride by kidnapping his bride and replacing her with a near-exact replica (secretly Tyrannia) whose slowly wore him down with her abuse until he fell in love with another. The revelation of his forsworn nature caused his shield around Earth-Cabal to shatter and the Titans to take over. His descendants continued to battle but the Forsaken Knight abjured himself and obliterated all record of his deeds, including his true name.

The Forsaken Knight slept underneath a tree for the next few centuries, awakening for the destruction of Earth-Cabal. Unbeknownst to the majority of Grimmsbrooke's inhabitants, the Forsaken Knight is actually responsible for their survival as he singlehandedly slew 500 Daemonites and a Fire Giant sent to eradicate their homeland. He also gave the prophecy which allowed the Wicked Witch to be defeated. His constant self-abuse has warped his True Love powers to divinatory ones.

The Forsaken Knight is likely to aid any heroes who come to Grimmsbrooke with his enigmatic clues. He will not actively engage in battle against demons or monsters, however, for fear of somehow making the situation worse. Apparently, in for a penny, in for a pound as he believes himself hopelessly evil because of his infidelity.

The Knights of Charming would dearly like the break the "curse" on their progenitor but aren't sure how you can fix a 400+ depression.


Isabella: One of the twin daughters of Prince Larry, Isabella and Marianne were kidnapped as children by the White Coven. Marianne was never recovered but Isabella was. Afterward, Isabella insisted on being trained as a witch-hunter and Knight of Charming. The Knights of Charming are historically male and she's ill-suited for it since she has little desire to devote herself to "true love." Despite this, she's become a very effective slayer of Grimmsbrooke's many monsters and ghosts. Like her mother, she's a swanmay or wereswan. This frilly, dainty, and (let's face it) useless form only makes her more irritated.

Not to mention the fact Miss Valor being a Swanmay means she is incredibly beautiful even if she doesn't want to be since that's their power. Everything she wears, even armor, also naturally looks gorgeous. Given she's attempting to be intimidating, she often finds herself gnashing her teeth to compensate.

Isabella Valor is presently looking for her sister, who she's gained some idea is still alive. Unfortunately, she's about to discover that her mother and sister are both present members of the White Coven.

Isabella tends to dress like a D&D Ranger, complete with the ridiculously good-looking clothes, preferring a magic bow and swords to more modern weapons. This attire enhances her abilities to the point she can cut through stone and throw cars--not to mention what she can take off with her bow. Even so, she's often found herself overwhelmed by Grimmsbrooke's equally dangerous residents.
Last edited by Charles Phipps on Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary
Posts: 2668
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:12 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: Age of Wonders thread IV

Postby Voltron64 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:56 pm

So on the power of True Love, are we referring to the romantic kind or the Died For Our Sins/Patrick Stewart Speech-kind?

Because the later makes way more sense.
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

User avatar
Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 7867
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:09 pm
Location: Ashland, Ky
Contact:

Re: Age of Wonders thread IV

Postby Charles Phipps » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:01 pm

Voltron64 wrote:So on the power of True Love, are we referring to the romantic kind or the Died For Our Sins/Patrick Stewart Speech-kind?

Because the later makes way more sense.


Pure chivalric love. That you devote yourself to a spouse or someone who embodies a romantic ideal and proceed to gain supernatural powers from the purity of that devotion. You may also devote yourself to the ideal of romantic love.

Strangely, the spells also work for the love of children, family, and a few other stretched ideals. However, attempts to do it for "general good" (like a paladin) have failed miserably as the rites simply do not work that way.

Maybe because they were given by a love goddess.

User avatar
Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary
Posts: 2668
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:12 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: Age of Wonders thread IV

Postby Voltron64 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:02 pm

Charles Phipps wrote:
Voltron64 wrote:So on the power of True Love, are we referring to the romantic kind or the Died For Our Sins/Patrick Stewart Speech-kind?

Because the later makes way more sense.


Pure chivalric love. That you devote yourself to a spouse or someone who embodies a romantic ideal and proceed to gain supernatural powers from the purity of that devotion. You may also devote yourself to the ideal of romantic love.

Strangely, the spells also work for the love of children, family, and a few other stretched ideals. However, attempts to do it for "general good" (like a paladin) have failed miserably as the rites simply do not work that way.


But that's easily fixable, isn't it Charles? :wink:
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

User avatar
Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 7867
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:09 pm
Location: Ashland, Ky
Contact:

Re: Age of Wonders thread IV

Postby Charles Phipps » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:05 pm

How do you mean?

I admit a certain bias since I used to play a Paladin of Sune in Forgotten Realms.

:mrgreen:

Edit: Added Isabella Valor.

http://media.trollandtoad.com/products/ ... 127096.jpg
Last edited by Charles Phipps on Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary
Posts: 2668
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:12 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: Age of Wonders thread IV

Postby Voltron64 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:08 pm

Charles Phipps wrote:How do you mean?

I admit a certain bias since I used to play a Paladin of Sune in Forgotten Realms.

:mrgreen:

Edit: Added Isabella Valour.

http://media.trollandtoad.com/products/ ... 127096.jpg


Making an successful attempts to do it for "general good" alongside true love.
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

User avatar
Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 7867
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:09 pm
Location: Ashland, Ky
Contact:

Re: Age of Wonders thread IV

Postby Charles Phipps » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:10 pm

Voltron64 wrote:Making an successful attempts to do it for "general good" alongside true love.


I'm sure there's Wands who are D&D paladins but that's not what the Knights of Charming are about. It's sort of their raison d'etre.

8)


Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Settings”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests