Age of Wonders thread IV

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Age of Wonders thread IV

Post by Charles Phipps » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:05 pm

Awesome write-ups, both libra and greycrusader.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:30 pm

Thank you very kindly Charles for your own compliment - I hope that you and the feisty Mrs Phipps are continuing to recover apace in the comfort you deserve? :)

Grey Crusader, I believe you have answered your own question regarding the relocation of Captain Zero in your usual fine style (I confess that I relocated him mostly because it struck me that after what we'd put him through on E-86 the man deserved a lucky break - and where better than on E-51, where he couldn't help but make a difference?).

As far as the Unique Special Assets are concerned, I don't have anything much more to add about them, but if anything occurs I will try to post it - if only to make up for what I fear was a write-up that does not quite measure up to my usual standards. Please feel free to make any suggestions for improvements that may occur to you, should you feel the inclination to do so. :D

As far as the USA-teams' reunion with The Orange Smasher (for clarity, I'll note here that I use 'Smash' as a name and 'The Orange Smasher' as a title, like Hulk and The Incredible Hulk), the former are about as enthusiastic as you'd expect them to be about being reunited with their old CO (about as enthusiastic as the Marvel Universe would be about meeting Red Hulk after the end of his first rampage); they need all the help that they can get but don't have to like everyone they get it from.

When I said they considered PLUTONIUS a superior substitute, I wasn't kidding; for one thing he doesn't twist the environment into a thing of horror by his very presence - also for all his at times wilfully obtuse attitude to his own powers, he's a general pleasant and positive individual.

The Orange Smasher is not; he's good at breaking things, but no d--- good at fixing them and E-51 needs a LOT of fixing; more to the point he's acquired a bit of taste for the perks of villainy on E-38 (The Diabolical Dozen may be ... well, it's in the name but they do live well), something he cannot expect on his old Home-World. He's still willing enough to get back to his old line of work, but is more reluctant than he used to be and increasingly surly as a result.

Also, I like your take on the Good Captain, but it occurred to me that it might be interesting if he were like Atomicus of Astro City in origin (a quite-possibly brand new entity, rather than a man transformed) with the small wrinkle that he was essentially slotted into the life of a man who might well have been a separate being entirely - explaining his curious lack of self-confidence in both himself and his own powers (as well as a distinctly impressionable personality).
Coming up: as promised, comments on Night-Guardsman, Satin Siren II, and Zealot, and a bit more on Earth-86's timeline. Then a more seasonally appropriate Halloween-themed posting (even if I miss the actual date).
I look forward to seeing all of the above! (I also wish YOU all MY best); if I might make one request, do you have any names associated with The Diabolical Dozen for me to develop upon? I have some ideas for what I would like to do with them and as you know am accursed with an imagination that fails to produce names with the same grace it furnishes ideas when able to take advantage of the 'hook' offered by names to find purchase - I also suspect that if I'm to work out how the Terror on Three Earths affected relationships between those worlds I'll need to work up The Terrors themselves.

Would you please help me with this, if you have anything?

That's not to say Captain Zero had never fought commies twice before in his own timeline, first having shot down MiGs in Korea nearly a decade before his transformation and next in Vietnam when he was called in to assist the troops by Tricky Dick.
I'm not sure about Korea - I haven't quite finalised my mental image of the Good Captain as yet - but he was definitely involved in the Vietnam War (one of his few major outings, made possible because the Soviets and Red China were scared spotless by the fact that America now has TWO demigods - a fear that rather backlashed into hideously-escalating tensions once Kerat vanished over the edge); you are exactly right about that little discussion between Captain Zero and Kerat, as well as almost exactly correct about that other incident - save that the Captain did not directly attack his fellow American, he rigged things so that the blackguard's gun blew up in his hands when he tried to take that shot.

Then Captain Zero flew the lady in question out of the war zone; it's still one of the most satisfying moments of his entire career to date.

It might be not wrong to say that relations between the two, while not necessary hostile, could be rather tense at times?
You would be entirely accurate in saying so Voltron, although that might be putting things rather mildly - paranoia worthy of Atomic Horror butting heads with Swinging Silver Age Serenity didn't exactly bring out the best in both sides (while some on both sides did their best to see the other's point, yet others did their very worst).
(Think JLA/Avengers and how Superman and Cap thought of each others worlds but on a lighter tone.)
That would be exactly how Greenworld got along ... with Earth-38; to be honest relations between the Unique Special Assets and Justice Happening did not exactly look up very far from the point where the former arrived on New Gaea only moments after the Diabolical Dozen had been engaged by the most active local champions - put simply Justice Happening mistook the USA-team for a second wave of attackers and the latter still bear grudges over the whole business.

Put mildly, the two worlds have kept a polite distance from one another ever since.
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:58 pm

Ketra wrote:Also, I like your take on the Good Captain, but it occurred to me that it might be interesting if he were like Atomicus of Astro City in origin (a quite-possibly brand new entity, rather than a man transformed) with the small wrinkle that he was essentially slotted into the life of a man who might well have been a separate being entirely - explaining his curious lack of self-confidence in both himself and his own powers (as well as a distinctly impressionable personality).
Honestly Libra, if there was anybody fitting the Atomicus comparison, it'd be Ketra.

Which makes a lot of sense actually when you think about it.
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:16 pm

I'm actually not sure about that (if only because AC Atomicus was a full-blown superhero rather than ... well Doctor Manhattan's brother from another mother), although this minor disagreement may derive in part from the fact that I have mentally cast Dr Zelesky as the Doctor Manhattan to Captain Zeroes Captain Atom - also my suspicion that he was a defector from the Soviet Union driven down some decidedly weird paths to power in his desperation to prove that the expense incurred in ensuring his escape from Mother Russia was worth it (to himself and anyone else).
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Post by greycrusader » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:11 pm

I modeled Dr. Zelesky, AKA Ketra on Dr. Solar, the Man of the Atom...or more specifically the Valiant/Acclaim version of the character. Both the modern day Solar and the DC Universe's most recent iteration of Captain Atom were certainly influenced by Moore's creation however. An odd bit of feedback, given Dr. Manhattan was an ersatz of the original Charlton hero.

Now, as to the Diabolical Dozen, sworn foes of the Adventure Family and the Squadron Superb. Their actual numbers varied, only meeting their designation on a few rare occasions past their founding, but they were the longest-lasting groups of foes ever faced by the champions of Earth-1938, their notorious exploits spanning decades. Granted, the original members largely faded out or died off over the decades, but new recruits were never in short supply. Besides, the odd bit of time travel, villainous legacies, and youth serums all helped the Diabolical Dozen's core villains remain recurring threats.

A smattering of their roster over the ages (along with suggestions as to their natures, but feel free to substitute your own ideas, esteemed Libra):

The Jungle Giant: Adopted brother of Strongman, a member of the intelligent apelike tribe which raised him, but gifted with phenomenal powers due to exposure to a radioactive meteor. Resents his "weakling, pink-skinned brother" and seeks to replace him as champion and master of the civilized world.

Mr. Pity: Once an understudy to the original Murder-Master, this towering human fiend weeps black tears as he goes about ruining happiness wherever he finds it.

Dr. Olmstead Oculus: Forever trapped in the body of a ten year old boy, this bitter genius plies his brilliant lightwave-based weapons against the forces of good.

Prof. Aztec Eternico: A burly rudo (masked wrestling villain) who is the reincarnation of an infamous Aztec priest of the Jaguar God. He blends physical prowess with magic derived from long-lost rituals.

Krampus: Son of the Norse Goddess Hel, the Anti-Santa Claus is determined to make the Christmas tradition once again embody dread as well as jubilation.

Lilliputia: Diminutive super-scientist from a micro-world dominated by Amazonian women, she once used a shrinking ray to reduce the world's male population to tiny size.

The Eternal Empress: The deposed tyrant of a parallel world with odd temporal laws, the Empress commanded potent time-based magic in her prime; trapped on Earth-1938, she eventually had to resort to purloined mystic objects and brutish hirelings. Grandmother of Miss Trix.

The Wither-Witch: An atomic-age mutant who feigns the dark arts, the Wither-Witch is a schemer, blackmailer, and extortionist who once used her power to steal vitality and beauty to bring Hollywood to its' knees.

Penelope Peril: Deriving her powers from five iconic figures of a mystic Tarot deck (PERIL!), Penelope Peril is the self-sworn defender of real humankind, determined to expose Adventure Lass as a "foul extraterrestrial monster"-which of course, no one on Earth-38 believes.

In addition to these unworthies, the Diabolical Dozen's ranks have been filled by the likes of: The Gun-Wizard, Captain Fusion, The Deceiver (Miss Trixie's mother), The Orange Smasher (as covered), Karma Chameleon, The Golden Naga, Mockman, The Nevermind-Man, Mr. Caprice, and Inkmaster.

Hope those prove inspiring. All my best!
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:16 pm

Yeah, I think I've forgotten the Squadron Superb other than that they're from Earth-1938.

Mind reminding me who they are? :wink:

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Post by greycrusader » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:35 pm

The rough equivalent of the Captain Marvel family, Isis the Invincible and Tala, Spy Smasher, Bulletman and Bulletgirl, Mr. Scarlet and Pinky, and any other Fawcett character pastiches Libra feels likes throwing in to the mix (ersatzes of Minute Man, Commando Yank, Diamond Jack, Wonder Man I, and others).

BTW: The PERIL! that grants Penelope Peril her abilities stands for The Priestess (ancient knowledge), The Empress (might), Rectitude/Temperance (force of will), Illumination/The Star (mystic power), and Luna/Moon (mystery).

All my best.
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:01 am

Hope those prove inspiring. All my best!
They certainly have and thank you kindly for all the above. :D

I shall do my best to post a few comments regarding my ideas for developing the team (and a few thoughts concerning villains opposed by The Lamplighters, simply because I don't want to type up my thoughts on the Bronze Age version of that team before you have had a chance to present your own - also, admittedly, because I have been annoyed by my inability to come up with Villains for E-86 other than Gloom-bringer).

Voltron, as far as The Squadron Superb is concerned, they are effectively the most prominent superhuman team in New York (one of the centres of superhero activity on E-38, thanks in part to the efforts of JJ Jackson and the fact that thanks to those efforts a superhero - or super villain - stood a good chance of becoming immortalised if they caught his attention, but mostly due to the fact that this is one of the most famous cities on the Planet), the first-response team that tackles most superhuman crime, allowing Captain Adventure to live as he does.

Amusingly, they were originally reactivated to act as his back-up but he wound up becoming THEIRS.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:13 am

Got it, the JLA to the Freedom Ring's JSA. :wink:

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:37 am

Not quite; think of the Freedom Ring as Justice Society: The Animated Series and you won't go far wrong - I see Squadron Superb as more the sort of book Kurt Busiek and Alex Ross might have put out had they been put in charge of revamping the old Fawcett characters for the modern era (although the parallels are not exact).

by the way, I'd like to issue a warning in advance - I fully intend to immerse myself in Arkham Origins and Black Flag just as soon as I can get my mitts on them, so my posts may soon become shorter and less substantial for some little time as a result! :wink:

(I also need to refresh my memory regarding E-38 - not to mention eat at some point soon - so it may take me a little more time to get something brief posted about my take on the Diabolical Dozen).

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:03 am

Have you played GTA5 and Lego Marvel as well, Libra?

And does the latter make you hungry for an official LEGO Marvel vs DC?

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:33 pm

I also meant to ask this, how were relations between Earth-1938 and Earth-51 as well?

I'm certain the issue of the Orange Smasher must have been quite the diplomatic fiasco.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:40 pm

BTW, guys, Kat's in surgery today.

Should be about 4-6 weeks for recovery but I'm keeping track of everyone's stuff.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:42 pm

Charles Phipps wrote:BTW, guys, Kat's in surgery today.

Should be about 4-6 weeks for recovery but I'm keeping track of everyone's stuff.
Sorry to hear that. :|

Wish you and your wife the best.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:53 pm

Charles, please accept my best wishes on behalf of your dearly-beloved (and your own, of course!); may your Kat keep purring until she's entirely back to her old self! (no, I can't say I'm sick of that particular play on words - by the way, how IS her throwing arm and how cluttered is her bedside table?). :mrgreen: