Age of Wonders thread IV

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Phrozen
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Age of Wonders thread IV

Postby Phrozen » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:20 pm

MightyDavidson
Zealot
Zealot

Postby MightyDavidson » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:35 pm

I'm still looking for a decent picture of Dr. Justice and Professor Peril.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:20 pm

Phrozen wrote:Since we are doing this:

Henri Paine.

An older Wildcard.

U.S. Adams

The Red Emperor

Awesome choices, Phrozen!

Wildcard is one that made LOL.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:21 pm

All great choices for Torment.

Doctor Polaris never had it so good.

:mrgreen:

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:12 am

Thank you kindly for the pretty pictures Charles and Phrozen and Voltron - it suddenly strikes me that in all this posting of characters we seem to have on the whole rather neglected to describe what they actually LOOK like; it might be enjoyable to redress this at some future point (probably DISTANT). :wink:

By the way Charles, I hope and trust that all went well with your lady wife's operation? (please assure her that my best wishes won't stop coming unless and until she asks me to quit it!).

(PS: Been feeling woozy this afternoon and early evening due to a meal that didn't agree with me, but I may try to finish my Lamplighters ideas as I think my stomach is finally settling...)

Please don't worry Grey Crusader; I'm more than prepared to let you take a break, should the present state of your health demand it (I recall that you've been having issues with that sort of thing for some while - while I'm more than happy to be in rude health myself and quite eager to remain so, I can only hope that my posting peers get to share some of it!). :)

Very much liked how you expanded on the nine "name only" bad guys I threw out-the names were mostly me just riffing, without any firm concepts in mind. I hope when you can pry yourself away from the newest Arkham game you might also add a little more detail to the "core" Diabolical Dozen whom I gave a line or two of text to accompany their archvillain codenames.

Time permitting, I shall see what I can do (I haven't picked up Arkham Origins yet and probably will not be able to until tomorrow, but I am working tonight and tomorrow morning).

I do, however, intend to post some further thoughts on the Diabolical Dozen at some point (who ARE slightly less hardline than The Octagon in general, but whose members tend to be much nastier individually than they are as a group, if less powerful and their very worst crimes tend to occurs outside the jurisdiction of The Freedom Ring and The Adventure Affinity - for example Krampus and Mr Pity have waged a vendetta against Father Christmas that has reduced Christmas on E-38 to a time of terror, possibly even killing the Spirit of Christmas itself while the world was rather preoccupied by The War of the Masks).

More when I can make the time to post it.

I wonder who would win, him or Deathseeker.

As ever it would probably come down to the roll of a dice, but I doubt Smash would trigger Deathseeker's "MUST KILL" instinct, which makes it a slightly more even fight and as a trained soldier with the superhuman strength, endurance and charm of a troll he had a fighting chance to start with.

On the other hand Deathseeker has an aura of supernatural terror and an entire arsenal of Magic Weapons; he might concede an advantage in experience to The Orange Smasher, but otherwise it's a match rather than a wipeout for either contender.

In any case the aftermath is going to be pure perdition for any Insurance Companies in the vicinity.
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Postby greycrusader » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:37 am

Thanks for the good wishes Libra, though in this case my distress had nothing to do with my past illness (the ONLY serious illness I've ever had in my life, but unfortunately one that was life-threatening and took a toll that required months of recovery)-as I belatedly learned, the water in our area has been contaminated. The big glass of H2O I consumed with lunch yesterday was what led to my nausea, stomach pain, fever, and cramps; any water used in the next 2-3 days in my county must be boiled or bottled, even just to brush teeth.

Totally feel fine now, but I'm off to work a couple long shifts (manpower issues at job), so my goal is to finish the Lamplighters over the weekend. I wanted to refine my ideas on the relationships between the second Nightguardian/Knight-Guardsman and the latter-day Satin Sirens regardless-and the effects of the Octagon's meddling with Earth-86's reality.

The Diabolical Dozen was something of an odd mix: unlike the second Flash's Rogues Gallery, who were mostly blue-collar in attitude and aspirations, or the Gotham Villains composed of hardcore gangsters and psychopaths, the Dozen were more a mongrel, ad hoc group. Their was the mastermind/archcriminal contingent, mostly old-school Golden Age/Pulp Era types (Dr. Olmstead Oculus, Mr. Pity, Eternal Empress, Lilliputia Mr. Caprice,), straight-up supervillains of various eras (Aggro the Jungle Giant, The Deceiver, Captain Fusion) to real oddballs with weird obsessions (Penelope Peril, Mockman, Inkmaster). Likewise, the Dozen as a whole had grandiose ambitions (world extortion, world domination, the elimination of the Adventure Family and Squadron Superb), some of the individual members were more focused on individual wealth, revenge, or pursuing their own "personal issues" (Mr.Caprice had an obsessive-compulsive need to deliberately insert a "hidden" flaw in his schemes, the Jungle Giant wanted to displace Strongman and gain adulation/acclaim as a great champion, Lilliputia had a "thing" about shrinking other people so they were shorter than she).

Some of the group went beyond super-villainy to absolute vileness-Mr. Pity planned crimes to maximize the misery of others (not necessarily mass death) while enriching himself; Krampus was a joy-loathing demon in nature, if technically a minor demigod in origin; Wither-Witch reveled in stealing away beauty and destroying lovely objects of art; they were generally nastier and more self-indulgent as individuals than as a team. It should be remembered as well there are far fewer superheroes on Earth-1938 than on most similar worlds-yes, Earth-86 only has a handful, but supervillains are few and far between, while Earth-51 has almost none, just an assortment of mutants and atomic monsters (yes, that's all); Strongman and a few associated heroes, the Squadron, and the Adventures. So the Diabolical Dozen is a genuine world threat when assembled.

All my best.
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:47 pm

May I present to you all a publicity shot of Ketra and Captain Zero together.

http://thefwoosh.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/dr-manhattan-captain-atom.jpg

:wink:
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:23 pm

Notes about Ketra and his "Omni-Sight"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keter

It should be noted the name Ketra is a reference to "Keter" from the Jewish Kabbalah and is basically about achieving the state of the divine/ascension. My vision of the character is that while he possesses Doctor Manhattan-like insights into the state of time/space and reality, he's a figure who was much more interested in the context of doing good and building a better world than Doctor Manhattan.

However, Ketra's ascension came with a rather crippling awareness of the future similar to Dune where he was aware of not only the consequences for his actions but ALL POSSIBLE consequences. If he killed someone, for example, he might not be killing just them but all of their descendants. Likewise, he often saw the good which came from bad things as well as the bad.

This quality distinctly separated him from Captain Zero and virtually just about every other hero because he was extremely reluctant to react but could change the course of the world when he did so. He never quite developed the same level of balance as "Seal-Breaker", however. Bluntly, Ketra was too much of a blunt instrument to master subtle machinations of affecting a little girl who might grow up to be a lawyer who might defend the man who fathered the President who outlawed poverty. It was the realization he wasn't knowledgeable enough to make full use of his powers that caused him to leave the world more than anything.

It's pretty much the antithesis of Doctor Manhattan's journey to become a cold and impersonal God. Quite the opposite, it was a quest to become a more compassionate and personable divinity which lead him down the road he pursued.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:18 pm

Hey, does anyone here use AIM?

If anyone wants to become buddies, I will gladly share mine.

:D

Now, time to update the index! I also need to get caught up!

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:12 pm

Unfortunately I'm not on AIM, Charles.

But still, what are your thoughts on the USA and Earth-51 AKA Atomic Horror By Way of Dr. Strangelove? :mrgreen:

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Phrozen
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Phrozen » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:27 pm

Charles Phipps wrote:

You think he looked more like Charles Bronson instead?

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:12 am

Phrozen wrote:
Charles Phipps wrote:

You think he looked more like Charles Bronson instead?

No, it's perfect as is.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:06 am

Charles, first and foremost I would like to ask "How is your wife? Has her operation gone as well as possible?"

Secondly, I must admit that I have no idea what AIM actually is (which means my chances of using it in the near future are virtually nil!); Thirdly, message received and understood r.e. Ketra - I'll take it into account when writing about the fellow in future. It might amuse you to know that even before reading about his 'Omni-sight' I consciously associated him with Mr Messiah (although as the inspiration for the latter's creation, in a fit of pique on The Professor's part at being denied a shot at such a potent adversary, rather than as an extension of the entity himself).

Totally feel fine now, but I'm off to work a couple long shifts (manpower issues at job), so my goal is to finish the Lamplighters over the weekend. I wanted to refine my ideas on the relationships between the second Nightguardian/Knight-Guardsman and the latter-day Satin Sirens regardless-and the effects of the Octagon's meddling with Earth-86's reality.

I'm glad to hear all of the above and will try to post something brief r.e. The Diabolical Dozen (which for some reason I keep thinking of as a baker's dozen, if only because there's something appropriate about a supervillain team 13-strong however seldom the full strength of that force may be assembled) and quite possibly regarding some ideas for E-86 villains given to me via Charles' post on the Bronze Age of that world - although I cannot promise to do so any time soon if Arkham Origins is as much fun as it's predecessors (and if Black Flag is even half as much fun as it looks .... ).

I'll leave you here with a midly amusing idea that struck me recently:- It might be somehow appropriate if those Villains who DID pursue budding careers in costume crime on E-86 borrow themes and hooks from the Horror, Pirate and Western comics that filled the stands instead of the costumed heroes with which we are so familiar (for example enough crooks adopted Pirate costuming in the wake of The Crimson Freighter incident to form a small-time mob - taking advantage of the Fear spread by El Diablo Encarnadine, tragic and soul-less captain of that entirely ghastly vessel - or the entire career of Gloom-Bringer).

Stay well you fellows! (and all my best wishes to Mrs Phipps, however she may be doing). :)
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:17 am

Yeah, in Earth-1986, it wasn't just pirates comic alone that dominated the market. It was pretty much all the non-superhero genres that had become big after WW2 and before the Commies made them neuter everything.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:19 pm

The Esoterrics Revised part 1

The past year has upended the Esoterrics tremendously. The team was once one of the most powerful and respected teams on the planet, dealing with the horrors of the supernatural that the rest of the world didn't believe in.

It was also delightfully counter-culture with Pendulum viewed as "The Man" while the Esoterics worked with the Wands and a network of fans to fight against oppression. They even had a measure of fame, drawn partially from their reality web-series that (in hindsight) proved to be a horrifically bad idea.

Said webseries lead to their headquarters being discovered and destroyed by a Torment-bot with a pair of long-time hanger-ons, Leslie and Dave being killed.

The undoing of the Esoterics came from an unexpected source, however. The Law. New York City District Attorney and licensed superhero, Perfect Prosecutor, successfully lead a scandalous series of charges against the Esoterrics that was designed to destroy unlicensed superheroism in America.

While his plan to get a concrete set of laws to govern superheroes in America was destroyed, partially due to an attack of 40 superpowered serial killers on the United States Supreme Court during the final talks, it resulted in Para-Psych suffering a nervous breakdown.

Superpowered criminal-defense lawyer, Mister Objection, managed to get Doctor Laramis proper counselling and medical care in an unknown location. Likewise, the laws are now ingrained in the USA that independent vigilantes can operate within parameters that present a 'clear and present risk to innocent lives.'

Mister Objection, primarily known as a former sidekick to Deathseeker in Deerford, has since gone on to get his partner cleared of all charges and vindicated in the public eye. He now serves as the primary legal counsel to many superheroes.

The group was promptly taken over by Red Riding Hood, who proceeded to take the group on a hard-line stance against the supernatural. The recruiting of Stage Magic, Trash Heap, and Werewolf were designed to increase their attacking power while they launched assaults on anything which smacked of the supernatural. This lead to confrontations with Deerford's resident superheroes and an attempt to eliminate Deathseeker which has forever poisoned the bulky superhero against the Esoterics.

Stage Magic eventually proved to be a psychopath who tried to kill the team and was hunted down, before being executed by Red Riding Hood. Trash Heap left the group after the living compost-pile (who, unlike Alec Holland, could assume a human form) realized they were all coo-coo for cocoa puffs, and Werewolf left the team for the Blue Centurions after an assault on Dreamer.

Werewolf's degeneration continued and a series of sexual assaults followed by his transformation into an Alpha Werewolf and a full-blown supervillain.

Action Survivor and Dreamer decided their continued presence on the team was unnecessary, finding themselves fascinated with the High Aeons who were seemingly gods on Earth. Filling in for the pair were Dark Sun, Moonatic, and Druidess (Wendy Searson).

The new team proved far less popular, their fans missing their quirky family atmosphere. Few of them liked the increasingly paranoid, hateful, and violent Red Riding Hood with all attempts at intervention failing. She became obsessed with saving the world from the Titans by any means necessary and drove Mister Arcane from the group he founded.

Despite this, the Esoterrics managed to accomplish numerous victories against the Titans. Doctor Null, their omnipotent patron, teleported the team to numerous "hot zones" around the Nexus where the Titans were exerting their ancient power. While they could not stop the horror, they delayed Ragnarok from occurring completely for some years yet.

Unaware Doctor Null was playing them, planning for Ragnarok to happens on his terms.

Things finally came to a head when Red Riding Hood proceeded to seemingly "kill" Mister Arcane with a magic bullet, believing this would kill Mister Carnae, then attempted to destroy the town of Grimmsbrooke, MA with a stolen Pendulum nuclear device. One enhanced with the power of the Titans that she believed would eradicate the "Titan infestation" on the world. The Esoterrics turned against their leader, only for Doctor Laramis to return for one last mission--and be killed.

This action lead to the dissolution of the team.

For a time.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Settings”