Age of Wonders thread IV

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Age of Wonders thread IV

Post by Voltron64 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:40 am

Libra wrote:I'll thank you for referring to me as a CALEDONIAN Ivory-Tower Man (I got bits of my education in Edinburgh as well!), you insolent Arizona low-brow! :twisted:
Only living there for college purposes, my good man.

And your thoughts on my interpretation for the adopted Haney sibling?
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:46 am

I think it might be a little TOO cynical, but you'd really have to ask Grey Crusader rather than myself.

One idea that DID occur to me is that 'Haney' might well be reinterpreted as a married surname for the first Satin Siren -I'm not sure if Green Card marriages were possible in the 30s/40s, but Carla might very well have entered the closest equivalent the laws of that age allowed in a bid to get into the US (and adopted an americanised version of her maiden surname after a divorce - as per your suggestion Voltron,that might well be Lane).
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:01 am

On another note Libra, I think I found the perfect theme song/lietmotif for Fool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwvVJaJm5b0]

:wink:

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: The Diabolical Core!

Post by Charles Phipps » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:13 am

Libra wrote:Despite his name - amongst the singular People who raised Strongman, 'Aggro' is no more or less remarkable a name than 'Max' amongst our own and means roughly the same thing - The Jungle Giant was not a particularly aggressive sort at first; the civilisation he grew up as a part of was closer to Planet of the Apes than to The Mangani from Tarzan of the Apes and he was regarded as a youth of promise amongst them to such a degree, in fact, that Strongman took first to the wilds and then to the Outside World in a quest to make a name for himself outside the long shadow of his elder brother.
Aggro's irritation with humanity is built around the fact that he hasn't exactly been treated all that pleasantly amongst 'civilized' humanity. The filth, cruelty, and overall RUDENESS of humanity lead him to believe he could do things better. The fact that his efforts go unappreciated, in large part because of his "brutish" appearance (he actually is something of a nerd amongst his people--more Ray Palmer than Doc Savage) lead him to develop a rather peculiar form of misandry. In truth, the fact that he's developed himself to be a figure of terrifying brute force has its appeal to him. While he doesn't believe in ape superiority by blood (how crude), he does think humanity could learn lessons from his decidedly more advanced civilization.

In another time, he'd rename New York "Aggrovia" and wear a pith helmet as he settles the savages.
Libra wrote:Mr. Pity: Once an understudy to the original Murder-Master, this towering human fiend weeps black tears as he goes about ruining happiness wherever he finds it.
Mister Pity is a figure whose murder count is in the somewhat astronomical levels. However, for the most part, these "usherings" go unreported as they are considered to be natural deaths or accidents of suicides. Really, Mister Pity is the most successful serial killer of all time as he lacks numerous supervillain qualities that would make him easier to take down. Quite the contrary, only the rare slip-up or investigation reveals that he's responsible for the deaths of his patients. That's, indeed, the scariest part of Mister Pity. He doesn't act like the Joker but kills repeatedly in nearly untraceable ways then moves on.

He's been forced to act otherwise but, really, if not for these--no one would realize he exists.How many people has he personally murdered? He recently passed the five figure mark.
Libra wrote:Dr. Olmsted Oculus: Forever trapped in the body of a ten year old boy, this bitter genius plies his brilliant lightwave-based weapons against the forces of good.
Doctor Oculus isn't actually all that interested in getting a new physical form, though he'x considered it. As deliberating as his condition is, he finds it has its advantages. Not the least being that his brain is better at learning than most adults as well as the fact that he is not especially tempted by thoughts of romance to distract him from SCIENCE.
Prof. Aztec Eternico: A burly rudo (masked wrestling villain) who is the reincarnation of an infamous Aztec priest of the Jaguar God. He blends physical prowess with magic derived from long-lost rituals.
Halfway between Kraven the Hunter and a Heel, Professor Aztec LOVES being a supervillain. However, he also loves big game hunting and wrestling (which he continues despite being a criminal due to some very strange deals he's made with the government). He also loves teaching, which he does fairly regularly and his archaelogical digs are quite competent. As a result, he only gets about six or seven heists per year done due to his full schedule. This has actually helped him as his general lack of appearance means few superheroes are prepared for him the way they are for other professional evil-doers.

He's also a frequent foe of El Grande, having found a stable portal to Earth-0.
Krampus: Son of the Norse Goddess Hel, the Anti-Santa Claus is determined to make the Christmas tradition once again embody dread as well as jubilation.
Father Christmas falling to the Dark Side isn't actually an unprecedented event, actually. A life of charity, good will, and nobility forever and ever (and on nearly every world) is a hard thing to do. When a Father Christmas falls to the Dark Side, this results in them becoming a Black Peter. A figure who is identical to the actual Clause except for his cruelty and wickedness. Note: NOT a stereotypical African as some interpretations of BP have been.

Likewise, there's actually a retirement clause. *rimshot* As a result, the PREVIOUS Father Christmas has decided to track down and eliminate his doppleganger. Which is a bit terrifying to the Krampus (who maintains a love of children and thus hasn't made the complete transition to becoming Black Peter). You see, Father Christmas has a job in additon to rewarding good little boys and girls.

He also eliminates demons and monsters who prey on children. That's why he had so many weapons for some kids in the Land of the Lion. Speaking of which, he intends to make said Lion's brethren pay for harming that particular avatar.
Lilliputia: Diminutive super-scientist from a micro-world dominated by Amazonian women, she once used a shrinking ray to reduce the world's male population to tiny size.
The word Napoleon Complex doesn't really begin to describe her. The "microverse" being something that actually isn't so much Gulliver as astronomically tiny. Even her present form is about the limits of what her science has been able to expand her present form too. However, this HAS provided her with a rather unfortunate advantage as the Amazonian warlord (who looks like a Hobbit dressed like Sheena of the Jungle) to shrink even smaller to her normal size before kicking butt as she does.

Her relationship with the Doctor Occulus is strickly scientiffic. Crazy Amazon scientist warrior women is sadly lost on the boy.
The Eternal Empress: The deposed tyrant of a parallel world with odd temporal laws, the Empress commanded potent time-based magic in her prime; trapped on Earth-1938, she eventually had to resort to purloined mystic objects and brutish hirelings. Grandmother of Miss Trix.
The true identity of the Eternal Empress would potentially shake the whole of creation. Presently amnesiac to her true identity and not able to access the full sum of her powers, she's still one of the most threatening sorceresses permissable. Her scatter-brained ability has also left her with a dreadful sense that she needs to get REVENGE on SOME hero but isn't precisely sure who. Likewise, her delighfully decent daughter was conceived before the Eternal Empress came barelling through the time portal to join them in their wickedness.

Yes, the Eternal Empress is none other than Red Jade, the former dictator of Earth-17's vast interdimensional Empire. Red Jade. The mother of the Four Roses, Queen Arachnia, and quite possibly Kali as well. The Red Jade is the promiscuous, hedonistic, ruthless, megalomanical, and Doctor Doom-esque master of the mystic arts and science. Unfortunately, she's not quite herself lately and that is due to her betrayal by her children.

Having tried and failed to steal the powers of the Celestial Conductor to become GODDESS OF MAGIC across the Multiverse, she was further undone by the fact that her attempts to make Mister Arcane into her enslaved boy toy turned out to be all for naught. Given at least two of her daughters have already laid claim to that particular mantle, this is somewhat ridiculous and quite possibly Squick inducing (albeit, three goddess-like redheads vying for one's affections may reduce that somewhat).

While her power is presently reduced, the Eternal Empress is still the most potent of the group by far and prophecy is on her side. The Celestial Conductor is well aware that Red Jade will be the one to kill her, though she's doing everything in her power to make sure that is not going to be easy or rewarding for her. Already, her attempts have cost her an empire as well as quite a few years of dignified rulership. Unfortunately, it's quite likely she'll regain her memories soon and gods help the universe if she meets Mister Carnae (or has already, given the resemblance of her child to Mister Arcane doesn't narrow down the search completely).

The Diabolical Dozen would serve as an excellent gang for her storming the gates of Heaven to resume her rightful place as Dark Lord of the Mystic Arts and should she return to Earth-17, it's fledging democratic government would collapse overnight. The Dark Lord's return being the equivalent of King Arthur returning with Excalibur drawn, ready to banish all the evils of freedom from a populace weary of war and new ideas.

Then things would get nasty.
The Wither-Witch: An atomic-age mutant who feigns the dark arts, the Wither-Witch is a schemer, blackmailer, and extortionist who once used her power to steal vitality and beauty to bring Hollywood to its' knees.
The Wither Witch, it should be noted, gets an advantage to her ability to steal the life and beauty of others that she's since refined. She is sustained by the draining of life-force to the point that she is quite capable of living eternally so long as she's not killed. The villagers who drove her out wore quite impressive black clothing with buckles and muskets. However, she is ALSO capable of assuming a much younger (albeit not especially comely) form. This form is one she avoids save when she can no longer stand it as it requires the death of a sentient being. It also puts to lie her entire philosophy.

She has since been also learned no small amount of hexes, potions, charms, and curses. Why yes, she also has a broom.
Penelope Peril: Deriving her powers from five iconic figures of a mystic Tarot deck (PERIL!), Penelope Peril is the self-sworn defender of real humankind, determined to expose Adventure Lass as a "foul extraterrestrial monster"-which of course, no one on Earth-38 believes.
Though it doesn't mean it isn't true.

*pause*

What?
Last edited by Charles Phipps on Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:01 am

Phrozen wrote:The Order Shook Up

While love blossomed between Helldragon and Dark Sun, things turned sour for Foxfire. Despite finally looking normal, he found that Dark Sun preferred bad boys instead of nice buy shy guys like himself. As Dark Sun's romance with Helldragon grew, Foxfire retreated into himself. Even going back to wearing his old canvas bag mask costume. When the time usually came for Dark Sun to get over her latest fling came and went, Foxfire became despondent. Finally, he just left the team with no notice or note to wander the roads of North America. Mister King would of thought it as poetic except now the core team is pissed at each other.

Shadow Lynx spent many hours commiserating with Foxfire over their misfortunes plus the doses of hallucinogens seemed to be helping her confront and come to terms with her past. Several nasty exchanges between the two led to blows on more then one occasion. El Grande seemed confused that his "Grandecito"* who finally did a "heel face turn" didn't get the girl. He noted it was very "un Macho Man - Elizabeth" and that this was "bad booking".
Yes, El Grande's has a very unique take on Spanish as well as English.
Dark Sun for her part doesn't understand why Shadow Lynx and El Grande are mad at her. Yes, she tolerated Foxfire and tolerated him a little more when he stopped smelling and looking like a body that had been left out in the woods for a couple days. That doesn't mean she loved him or had anything other than platonic feelings as a long term teammate. Plus Helldragon fills out those leather pants so well and he has a motorcycle.He is also super sweet once you get to know him. Its like he is the quintessential bad boy with a heart of gold.

Mister King for his part just wished that everybody would go back to their normal damaged but coping idiosyncrasies. Getting better and becoming less odd was supposed to bring the team closer together. So, far Mister King has been busy putting out fires between the members before it all falls apart. Somehow he has to figure out how to rope Foxfire back in but when dealing with matters of the heart it is tricky business.
The nonfunctional nature of the Order has been aluded at a lot but the fact that it's only now coming to a head is kind of surprising to everyone. As mentioned, with the rare exception of SDP0, most of the Order flat out despises each other with individual members friends but almost no one really fond of the team.

Really, Foxfire being the one to bring everything out in the open is kind of appropriate given he was one of the few on the team no one had anything against. Shadow Lynx's loathing for Mister Arcane's relentless horndogging, El Grande's distaste for Mister King's brutality, Mister King's dislike of Super Dragon Punch Zero's playfulness, Super Dragon Punch Zero's distaste for Shadow Lynx's "being a complete psycho", and even Dark Sun wondering why her personal life is anyone's business but her own (with a side order of, "Mister Arcane and Super Dragon Punch Zero have had more sex than Wilt Chamberlain but no one calls THEM on it. But when a WOMAN...")

Then there's Legendary's belief the team acts like a bunch of dysfunctional antiheroes rather than inspiration, everyone else to Legendary for the fact she thinks her way is better, and Adonis for the fact no one seems to realize the bigger threat is the High Aeons. Berserker, amusingly, hasn't noticed the disintegration of the team as he finds this quite normal in Viking culture. Deathseeker, by contrast, is about ready to call it quits on the team he just joined in hopes of finding a place and is already regretting leaving the Pacific Northwest.

Foxfire, amusingly, has found himself doing quite well. Despite the fact that he's still considered hideously deformed (his new looks haven't become public yet), he's considered one of the favorites of the team. The Blue Centurions have already made him an offer to join. The Esoterrics did as well but Foxfire promptly beat the ass out of Hell Dragon for that, an action which implies his powers have been growing exponentially. His solo-career has also generated numerous archenemies in a very short while. Particularly since he's working in Austin, TX--home of several nasty escapees from El Paso.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:09 am

When did Deathseeker join the Order?

Edit: (And it's Earth-17, not Earth-19.)

No offense Charles, but if you keep fudging up on the continuity errors, I might just have to put Libra in-charge from now on. :P

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:38 am

Voltron64 wrote:When did Deathseeker join the Order?

No offense Charles, but if you keep fudging up on the continuity errors, I might just have to put Libra in-charge from now on. :P
Deathseeker last thread. Basically, he did so in an attempt to clear his name and found them to be a bunch of self-agrandizing sociopaths. However, oddly, he's stuck with the fact that they do a lot of good too. Good which is finally rehabilitating his reputation. It's not a good situation for him.

As for continuity errors, I could spend time checking things but then I'd never get any of these done.

:mrgreen:

Seriously, if you catch any, just PM me and I'll change it.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:40 am

Charles Phipps wrote:
Voltron64 wrote:When did Deathseeker join the Order?

Deathseeker last thread. Basically, he did so in an attempt to clear his name and found them to be a bunch of self-agrandizing sociopaths. However, oddly, he's stuck with the fact that they do a lot of good too. Good which is finally rehabilitating his reputation. It's not a good situation for him.

As for continuity errors, I could spend time checking things but then I'd never get any of these done.

:mrgreen:

Seriously, if you catch any, just PM me and I'll change it.
Point taken.

But are you sure you're not mistaking Deathseeker for his little friend, Deathbreaker?

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:42 am

No, I'm pretty sure she'd fit in fine.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:43 am

BTW, I don't find SPD0 to be anywhere near as sexually active as Dr. Arcane. In fact I find him to quite prefer monogamous relationships, which served as quite the awkward moment when he reunited with Blue Wasp and told him he hadn't slept with anyone else.

Now Victor Vanquish, The Berserker, Moonatic, Pooka, and even King Panda on the other hand...

:twisted:
Last edited by Voltron64 on Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:46 am

Well there was the period where he was broken up with Blue Wasp.

However, point taken.

Victor Vanquish isn't quite sure why anyone has a problem with it either. "Women in this land are strange indeed."

Edit:

I'm looking for the post where Deathstalker/Seeker joins the Order but so far can't find it. It was supposed to be a big change since he's the first to refuse the Order.
Last edited by Charles Phipps on Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:48 am

Charles Phipps wrote:Well there was the period where he was broken up with Blue Wasp.

However, point taken.

Adonis isn't quite sure why anyone has a problem with it either. "Women in this land are strange indeed."
And the whole Adonis thing, you mean Aurelius or Vic, right?

Not the smug sociopathic brute in jean shorts? (Because there is no way in hell he'd be in The Order.)
Last edited by Voltron64 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:51 am

*ahem* Points up about the PM line.

:P

Next up - VAMPIRES OF EARTH-0.

Also, comments for MD!

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:54 am

Personally Charles, I envisioned Black Peter/Zwarte Piet basically being a Drow rather than an evil Santa.

I mean since Santa's helpers are elves...

And Vampires...that's gonna be no problem for the heroes at all I bet. :wink:

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:13 am

Voltron64 wrote:Personally Charles, I envisioned Black Peter/Zwarte Piet basically being a Drow rather than an evil Santa.

I mean since Santa's helpers are elves...

And Vampires...that's gonna be no problem for the heroes at all I bet. :wink:
The idea of Black Peter being the Anti-Clause came up in Supernatural.

I just loved it.