Age of Wonders thread IV

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Phrozen
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Age of Wonders thread IV

Postby Phrozen » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:56 pm

Someone called for a Neo-Concordian pantheon ? I will do my best.

Aureus Corona: God of law, courage, wisdom, and light. First among the pantheon who with the help of his cousin slew the Titan Sinn Zerfall and made Neo Concordia out of the remains. Aureus Corona is not known to have any children by mortals or any of the other Neo-Concordian pantheon. Aureus Corona is the patron of Kings and leaders. His symbol is a golden crown encircling the sun. In battle it is said that he throws rays of bright burning light. He did lose his pinky and ring finger on his left hand during the battle with the Titan.

Novaya: Goddess of deception, trickery, illusion, skill, and lies. Patron of thieves, charlatans, con men. Novaya while not in direct competition with her cousin Aureus Corona, finds herself opposed to him due to their natures. Novaya is represented as a distorted sunrise. She has had many lovers amongst the pantheon and Neo-Concordians. She wears a bright cloak of many colors in battle that blinds her enemies.

Devil Sun: The god of evil. Oddly enough Devil Sun still has followers on Neo-Concordia. They claim that his name was Apogee and he battled Sinn Zerfall with Aureus Corona and Novaya. He was tricked by the two to absorb the evil of the fallen titan so that Aureus and Novaya could create Neo-Concordia. The veracity of this is unknown. Devil Sun is represented by the sun in full eclipse.

Desolate: The god of destruction and madness. Desolate seems to have been incorporated into Neo-Concordian mythology as the formless god of destruction. He doesn't seem to have an origin story, just appearing in the mythos. Noticing that he doesn't follow the sun iconography of the other gods. He is represented as a single blue eye. He has no followers as to seek destruction is madness.

Fata Morgana: Goddess of art, science, nature and, music. Her patrons are artists and scientists of all types. She is the daughter of Novaya and an unknown Neo-Concordian. She is seen as opposing her mother and many stories showcase the schism between the two. In battle she wields a crossbow that fires a bolt of rainbows. She is represented as a prism dividing a ray of sunlight.

Parhelion: God of victory, beauty, and love. Parhelion is probably the third most worshiped god on Neo-Concordia. He is also perhaps the most active of the pantheon as well. He is another one of Novaya's children who was raised to godhood after he sacrificed the victory he gained in battle and his life for his love. He looks a lot like Victor Vanquish but rather more kept up. He wears golden armor and carries a sword made of sunlight.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:31 am

Phrozen, your best is very good indeed! :)

Charles, flattery will get you everywhere but they'll get you into my good books faster than anywhere else (although I must say that your work was hardly sub-par even before I made my few suggestions); I say "Bravissimo!" to you sir. :mrgreen:

Your rewrite of Death's Head in particular ... good grief but that puts a chill in my soul (and doubtless into the soul of Jack Washington Junior to boot); I wonder if Death's Head even bothers to use SCIENCE anymore, as opposed to the Dark Arts (which revolt any soul unfortunate enough to witness them, but at least do not remind him of what he once was).

Hell Dragon almost seems a predetermined choice for that but I wonder if one of the other heroes has a secret epic love for metal, perhaps Blue Jay for added irony.

I say we let Rainbow Man prove that even HE can keep a secret without sharing it with the group in a fine display of care that counter-balances his Drill-Sergeant tendencies (the man raises 'sharing is caring' to levels of Tough Love that make Gunny Hartmann look like Sgt. Bilko), if only so he doesn't come across as nothing more than a complete hippy WITH SUPERPOWERS! (also he clearly has the HAIR the role requires).

Apropos of nothing, I imagine Bluejay as a fan of The Eagles, although I'm not quite sure why.

Whether or not it was Earth-Cabal and he was the "last" of their heroes (and they served the worst for last) is anyone's guess but his bloody, murderous, and ruthless destruction of supernatural evils occurred for decades as he single-handedly held off the corruptive forces by himself.

I must admit that it would be thematically-appropriate for E-1023 to have been his original home; it places an additional emphasis on just how much EVIL comes from a world not merely corrupted by The Titans but utterly under their dominion (in a way even E-92 has never quite been, despite the efforts of Mr Carnae).

Unfortunately, the hubris of being the only remaining superhero in the world gradually wore away at his sanity--especially after the fact that the rest of the Abyssal's bandmates were horrifically killed.

One suspects that, Earth-Cabal being what it was, The Abyssal (perhaps he used to call himself Val Halen) walked a little on the other side of the fine line between Mythic Hero and Superhero but there's something horribly appropriate about the most 'Super' Hero on E-Cabal falling into shadow as much due to his power as it was despite his puissance.

Here's a scene of Mister Arcane stumbling on one of their old battle sites (his roadies usually took care of the demons during the songs).

If any of them survived more than a concert or two, I suspect that they could give Grey Knights pointers when it comes to busting horn-heads; perhaps a solitary survivor went back home to Grimmsbrooke MA to nurse the broken heart his boss' fall left him with?

He summoned a massive demon to consume the world in one gulp and let everyone die painlessly than let their souls get taken by the Titans.

This demon wouldn't happen to sound like Tim Curry would he?

this case, it was fate's way of being especially ironic.

One wonders just how much of a helpful nudge Fate received?

His wife and children would never have understood his actions so they were unworthy of him now.

One suspects that the family rather came down in life after Father went ... well, Gollum Gollum; perhaps they left the wilderness and wound up running a mill? (by one of those curious quirks of history, it might only have been AFTER they left behind their legal claims to a kingdom and the realm that it applied to that the crown less again became king - could part of the reason The Undying has yet to sweep Goodheart off the map be due to family tradition giving The Miller's son some idea of how the Liche's mind works?).

Charles, out of curiosity did any of Rozarak the Undying's adventuring companions leave behind descendants?

Which is so much worse given what his father asked.

To put things rather mildly, No Kidding; I wonder if the world which he left to suffer without superheroes has been mentioned yet in the course of our career about the AoW multiverse? (wait, a man who wants life to be a sitcom rather than a superhero saga ... E-55 perhaps?).

Haha, brilliant.

Not if you happen to be these twin ladies; it's a calculatedly cruel stroke that robs their horrific decision of the major justification that finally persuaded these ladies to pull the trigger on their own Homeworld - that at least Clan Ruthven would die with it's home world.

I really, REALLY hope that I never meet the poor characters whom I've caused to suffer in the course of my writing!

The short version of Mister Nihilism is that he is a hero who once was every bit the kind of salt-of-the-Earth aww shucks hero we've come to respect from Steve Rogers, Clark Kent, and other good guys.

In my mind's eye he preferred 'Oh Boy' but the example stands! :wink:

Mister Nihilism is notable for the fact that, science hero or not, he's not so much actively interested in wiping out everything in that he has no care NOT to.

He doesn't even care enough to use his RANK anymore, never mind pull himself out of his disdain for idealism or optimism for long enough to do anything truly remarkable; were he to meet this particularly Awful Individual, Captain Carpenter WOULD conceive a dislike of this fellow so intense that he would actually task the Outrageous Order with a pursuit of him, rather than facilitate their missions as per usual (and keep down the collateral damage as best he can).

A certain Cimmerian met the two and learned quite a few secrets about moviong silently as well as cleaving with mighty thews.

"Conan? I've heard the name but it's none of mine own."

<A book is produced, swiftly snatched and carefully-read>

"A tale told well, but not mine! I am my own man and no scribe's puppet; see me in the flesh and know me for a man and not a fable, no matter how well-told."

<excited chatter in which the word 'derivative' can vaguely be made out>

"By Crom you'll swallow those accusations or you'll swallow my fist!"

One can only suspect that the survival of The King in Shadows might be one of those secrets with the promise of which Mekton keeps Victor Vanquish from throttling him in an outburst born of sheer frustration.
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:05 am

If any of them survived more than a concert or two, I suspect that they could give Grey Knights pointers when it comes to busting horn-heads; perhaps a solitary survivor went back home to Grimmsbrooke MA to nurse the broken heart his boss' fall left him with?

One suspects that, Earth-Cabal being what it was, The Abyssal (perhaps he used to call himself Val Halen) walked a little on the other side of the fine line between Mythic Hero and Superhero but there's something horribly appropriate about the most 'Super' Hero on E-Cabal falling into shadow as much due to his power as it was despite his puissance.

The Abyssal's hubris and railing at the gods sustained him long after he'd been utterly broken by the number of lives he COULDN'T save. Out there, somewhere, is music he made REALLY early in his career talking about sacrifice and brotherhood and even love which works like sunlight on a vampire for him.

Charles, out of curiosity did any of Rozarak the Undying's adventuring companions leave behind descendants?

Most of them indeed. As for the kingdom, it fell to Rozarak but as we mentioned, he was not so inclined to slaughter them all. A group of hidden princes and princesses on a farm are quite safe and seemingly waiting for a chance to be told of their legacy. Which would, of course, inevitably lead to some awkward questions.

Perhaps they can be told their father was betrayed and murdered by the Masked God With No Eyes?

He doesn't even care enough to use his RANK anymore, never mind pull himself out of his disdain for idealism or optimism for long enough to do anything truly remarkable; were he to meet this particularly Awful Individual, Captain Carpenter WOULD conceive a dislike of this fellow so intense that he would actually task the Outrageous Order with a pursuit of him, rather than facilitate their missions as per usual (and keep down the collateral damage as best he can).

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... Marcus.jpg

"Conan? I've heard the name but it's none of mine own."

<A book is produced, swiftly snatched and carefully-read>

"A tale told well, but not mine! I am my own man and no scribe's puppet; see me in the flesh and know me for a man and not a fable, no matter how well-told."

<excited chatter in which the word 'derivative' can vaguely be made out>

"By Crom you'll swallow those accusations or you'll swallow my fist!"

Just make sure he was an ancient IRISH hero. After all, the Cimmerians were real!
Last edited by Charles Phipps on Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:22 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:05 am

Awesome, Phrozen, truly!

I liked your handling of Devil Sun and think it's a good basis for some 4th World antics.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:00 am

Just to show off my knowledge, here's what was written about Abyssal in previous threads.

The Abyssal: Kult Deathmane is a half-Aeonic Death Zone necromancer-warlord-mutant who resembles a member of the band Kiss and is capable of summoning hordes of ghosts with his death-guitar. Kult Deathmane is, quite bluntly, insane and desires nothing more to wreck a heavy metal rocking devastation across the Nexus until Oblivion finally takes him.

Kult Deathmane lost his cult of Deathmonger worshipers and slaves when Mister Arcane and Super Dragonpunch Zero defeated his demonic bandmates. Unfortunately, Kult Deathmane is so intimately acquainted with death he's not going to stay down. Presently, the Abyssal is regaining his strength by serving as a lead guitarist on Earth and draining a small portion of life from all of his audiences so he can eventually gain his revenge.

The Abyssal can regenerate any wound, possesses exceptional magic, and a limited amount of super-strength. He is also capable of draining the life-force from any non-virgin with his guitar. This, thankfully, can be blocked by the appropriate wards. The only way to destroy Kult forever, however, is to defeat him in a rock challenge.

Yes, I'm serious.

Obviously it conflicts, but we can work sh*t out. :D
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:06 am

Eh, just at differing periods of his life.

The biggest revelation is that he's tried to replace his lost bandmates.

:mrgreen:

It does, however, imply the End leaves his Generals alone for centuries at a time.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:41 am

So I take with the Archangel starting the Order of St. Uriel, somethings happened to his Four Horsemen?

Because I got ideas on their fates. :twisted:

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:12 am

Voltron64 wrote:So I take with the Archangel starting the Order of St. Uriel, somethings happened to his Four Horsemen?

Sadly no, it was his OTHER followers that got smashed.

I welcome suggestions, though.

:twisted:

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:21 am

Charles Phipps wrote:
Voltron64 wrote:So I take with the Archangel starting the Order of St. Uriel, somethings happened to his Four Horsemen?

Sadly no, it was his OTHER followers that got smashed.

I welcome suggestions, though.

:twisted:

Well Last Girl Standing and Final Girl did this to Uncle Mickey.

(Graphic Violence Warning)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6SGjbZtvbM
Last edited by Voltron64 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:22 am

Esssh. You might want to warn people about that one. Put a NSFW or "Graphic violence" on it.

:shock: :|

Even if Mikey deserved it. Poor Jade!

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:10 pm

Most of them indeed.

I keep trying to think up a way of justifying a request for more information on the old crowd and even my own fertile imagination can only suggest "The fact that The Undying may very well have turned them into his undead henchmen before someone else could" (also to make his Transition from 'Rozarak The Immortal' to 'The Undying' easier).

As for the kingdom, it fell to Rozarak but as we mentioned, he was not so inclined to slaughter them all. A group of hidden princes and princesses on a farm are quite safe and seemingly waiting for a chance to be told of their legacy. Which would, of course, inevitably lead to some awkward questions.

Perhaps they can be told their father was betrayed and murdered by the Masked God With No Eyes?

I'm not sure that would be the best example to follow; while Old Ben Kenobi's perspective on the truth was kindly meant it could have led to consequences far worse than those that ensued in canon (mind you, how on Tattooine do you tell a teenager that their father murdered their mother and has become the sort of Dark Lord that NEEDS to be put down to make the galaxy a better place?).

Out of curiosity Charles would the Kingdom in question be the 13th part of The Blasted Lands now in the louche liche-lords dominion?

Just make sure he was an ancient IRISH hero. After all, the Cimmerians were real!

'Conan of Hibernia' has a fine ring to it ... :wink:

By the way Charles, might I ask if you would recommend seeing Thor: The Dark World in 3D or think it better seen without it?
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:22 pm

Libra wrote:One suspects that, Earth-Cabal being what it was, The Abyssal (perhaps he used to call himself Val Halen) walked a little on the other side of the fine line between Mythic Hero and Superhero but there's something horribly appropriate about the most 'Super' Hero on E-Cabal falling into shadow as much due to his power as it was despite his puissance.

While I'm tempted to do another Rock and Rule animation, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuIg8uF9geM

I'm also going to state that in some heroes case, it's less about "one bad day" as the Joker would put it and more about the slow grinding waste of the spirit. The Abyssal started wanting to inspire people but he made a lot of lesser evil choices, forgetting that the lesser of two evils is still evil. There was no Diet Coke option.

And in the end, he paid the price.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:15 pm

On a related note, it has recently struck me that those poor souls whom Rozarak has made into his very own Nazgul ("derivative" Rozarak will swiftly add, pretending to be afraid of copyright lawyers whom he knows will never come because they all remember what happened to the first, last and ONLY brace of them to make the attempt) are those champions of cliche and chosen ones who really would have done better to take a closer look at those who chose them, those poor chumps who made him FEEL it for however long they lasted.

Who made him admit not just what what was done to him, but what he has chosen to become as a result of that; The Golden Prince may have brought him back as a Liche (turns out pledging your soul to the shadow of a 'God' can have nasty results if the main body hands it over to his spoilt son out of complete indifference), but once The Dreadful One was destroyed Rozarak was free to do pretty much whatever he chose to.

Rozarak really HATES being reminded that he was ever actually free to make that choice; while it's notoriously difficult to get a hold of genuinely Heroic Souls (unless you happen to be the host at their personal Hall of Heroes) Rozarak has still done his worst - even if he can only count the number of his successes on the digits of one hand, that still adds up to five souls who have suffered almost exactly the same fate that was inflicted upon HIM.

To sum up, Rozarak wants to make the Nine (if only so he can cock a snook at Lord Null and prove who the REAL Dark Lord is around here), which tells you everything you need to know about him.

Phrozen
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Phrozen » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:38 pm

Charles Phipps wrote:Awesome, Phrozen, truly!

I liked your handling of Devil Sun and think it's a good basis for some 4th World antics.

Funnily enough the nicest Neo-Concordians are the followers of Devil Sun. They believe that if they do good works in his name it will purify him. Victor Vanquish would be very confused by this.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:21 pm

You know what I've honestly come to realize?

That the whole Old World VS New World conflict is literally survival of the fittest in action.

That being it is not the strongest nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

:wink:

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Settings”