Age of Wonders thread IV

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Age of Wonders thread IV

Postby Charles Phipps » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:54 am

Dredd approves!

http://www.genevievevalentine.com/wp-co ... dredd2.jpg

See? That's his approval face.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:20 am

Los Angeles part 4 (Existing Villains)

King Frost is in a bit of a conundrum as the crime-lord's petty revenge on LA for refusing to accept him as a superhero has come around again. The sheer amount of money he's made as L.A's "first supervillain" (a title which galls him to no end) is now in the double digits every month and he's not sure how to deal with that. There's also the fact that, as a corrupt as he is, he's a hell of a lot better than a lot of the psychopaths coming into the city.

As a result, the universe is rubbing salt into his wound by making him an L.A. institution. Much like Al Capone had parts of Chicago where he was considered saint more than sinner, King Frost has children dressing like him and websites dedicated to his villainy. Not even brutalizing some of his subordinates for this sort of hero worship has done much for him as he continues to become a celebrity despite the fact he resigned himself to damnation.

About the only people King Frost really trusts and respects now is the LAPD, given they at least still consider him a monster and the two ever endeavor to destroy the other. Officer Carl Sweet and the SMASH unit of superpowered cops are specifically dedicated to eradicating him. Unfortunately, Officer Sweet is the most corrupt LA cop since Rafael Perez and the only reason he intends to take out King Frost is so he can take over his empire for himself.

The SMASH unit possesses the dirtiest cops in Los Angeles, all trained by the PIT and possessing the ability to go toe-to-toe with mid-level superheroes. They plant evidence, blackmail, brutalize suspects, engage in torture, and kill anyone who stands in their way. Many gangs not controlled by the big players take direction from them and, effectively, pay to them.

The most frightening part of their behavior? They're extremely popular and think they're the good guys.

Big Dog, by contrast, reveals in his illicit celebrity. Having been exposed as a murderer, pimp, drug-dealer, and terrorist--Big Dog STILL controls a substantial chunk of LA's underground. Now a mid-level member of the Octagon with his eye on a Board seat, he's responsible for "training" supervillains to assist hm in his takeover of LA and other cities. Almost every gang now pays tribute to Big Dog with only King Frost's brotherhood able to stand toe-to-toe with them.

Whatever uneasy truce may have existed between the two has disintegrated and now members of Big Dog and King Frost's gangs shoot at each other on sight. The body count is rising and only King Frost seems to care about it. The constant superhero and supervillain fights have numbed the populace to bloody gang warfare in the streets.

Doctor W has been mostly inactive in the city for some time but his influence is felt throughout. Throughout the city are hundreds of intelligent fully-functional androids who are aware or unaware they're replacements for existing people. These individuals work as spies, saboteurs, and agent provacateurs for the Brotherhood of Enlightenment. Recently, Crushman, has gone rogue and started taking to the idea that androids rather than people should rule. He's using a dimensional portal to a ruined arcology and is starting to use its tech to prepare for taking over first LA then the world.

Opposing them is Beautiful Extreme Mechanic and Electric Honest Hero, two of Blue Wasp's modifications of his father's designs. In addition to their role as local superheroes, the two of them are modifying many of Doctor W's androids to gain their own senteince. Some of which are gigantic metal machines and others androids. In short, it's about to get very Transformers and Megaman around LA.

They're being assisted in this process by a disguised The King in Shadows, who is presently himself merely as a fan of their work. What the Lord of Death wants is anyone's guess as his own work in LA isn't exactly friendly.

After the destruction of their Antarctic headquarters, the Octagon has made a decision to relocate not to a series of ever-more remote locations but actually to return to civilization. Much to the surprise of everyone except Murdermaster and Big Dog, L.A has proven incredibly fruitful to their recruiting efforts. While the lauding of the superhero has resulted in the Professor making several plots to kill everyone in LA, the others have found it quite... comfortable.

The violence, excess, and shallowness of the populace have reinforced their collapsing self-images. Right now, few of their members are engaging in overt villainy but are merely regaining their strength. Once this happens, LA's overwhelmed superheroes will have no chance.

Finally, as mentioned, The King in Shadows has a "rift" to the Death Zoine on Earth. Located in Griffith Park nearby the Observatory, he uses this place to visit LA and carry out his business under the guise of The Swan King. Oddly enough, a gentleman thief who is mostly interested in hedonism and humiliating the rich with Leverage-like stunts. No one suspects the relatively low-threat figure to be the equivalent of Satan running around playing Catwoman.

This is in ADDITION to the various stunts The End forces him to him do like send armies of zombies, create Dracoliches, steal doomsday plagues, and so on. His "leash" forces him to obey but he actually has been sabotaging his own efforts lately. This is a small comfort to his victims, however.

The Five Psychos have been imprisoned, killed, and destroyed on numerous occassions but their name lives on. Specifically, as employees of the Organization. The Divine Leader has sent them to be permanent fixtures in LA for the purposes of enforcing their will. The current group of them merely has duplicates of their powers with Shinobi IV being the only real ninja amongst them. A former Pendulum agent, he's actually hoping to terrorize Los Angeles into getting some sense.

Rounding out this list are Rampage and Rampart, two of the most frequently cited evil doers in LA. Rampage pretty much has fought every hero who has come here. It's lead many people to believe he's less dangerous than he is. Rampart, by contrast, is one of the most terrifying specters in the city. It's, ironically, his influence which lead to the creation of SMASH.

Having trained Carl Sweet, Rampart has provided the corrupt cop all his old stashes of money and blackmail material. Unknown to the rest of the CRASH gang, Rampart has decided to return to public view. Having gained the ability to manifest a human-seeming form from a pact with the Nine Lords of Death, he intends to debut as Super-Cop soon.

Then LA will start to fear.

His reign may not last as long as he thinks. The Arbitrator has caught wind of this deal thanks to the King in Shadows--a figure he's fought on different worlds and has little love for. THE LAW has no forgiveness for Baltar-like traitors to reality.
Last edited by Charles Phipps on Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:27 am, edited 7 times in total.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:23 am

What about undead CRASH cop Rampart?
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:31 am

Voltron64 wrote:What about undead CRASH cop Rampart?

Updated.

I hope you are enjoying my write-up of LA so far, guys. I've still got a bunch of new stuff to get to but I realized I needed to get through the rather staggering amount of existing material!

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:38 am

Let me tell you this about Rampart, back when he was still alive, even his boss/handler Rafael Perez thought he was f***ing nuts. That's probably not even discounting that the fact Rampart was eventually planning on pulling a Starscream on him before things went pear-shaped.

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:41 am

Also note that sharing space with Super Dragon Girl 10 is her BFF Sailor Cosmos, who along with her brother Doc Justice have started spending more time in Los Angeles.

As a bonus, here's Doc Justice in action in one of his more specialized suits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cZpIZFd4rc

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Charles Phipps » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:51 am

Voltron64 wrote:Let me tell you this about Rampart, back when he was still alive, even his boss/handler Rafael Perez thought he was f***ing nuts. That's probably not even discounting that the fact Rampart was eventually planning on pulling a Starscream on him before things went pear-shaped.

Rampart was such a bad cop, Hollywood could literally not portray him on screen without looking ridiculous. Adaptations had to TONE DOWN what a psychopath he was. Officer Sweet learned from the experience and is much better at hiding it.

Rampart's return will not be pleasing to anyone but, well, hard to argue with undead god powers.

Also note that sharing space with Super Dragon Girl 10 is her BFF Sailor Cosmos, who along with her brother Doc Justice have started spending more time in Los Angeles.

Hey, Every Hero visits LA eventually.

Now buy some Sailor Cosmos energy drink and hentai!

*Doctor Justice punches me from off-screen*

I didn't make it, just bought it.

*Is punched again!*

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:57 am

Well guys, I think I finally got an good image for Johnny Tesla.

http://th08.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2012/295/a/0/joseph_joestar_redux_by_anaugi-d5in046.jpg

Plus video footage of his Science Kung-Fu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayfiRQUlWUY
Last edited by Voltron64 on Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:28 am

Voltron, your challenge to flesh out a Golden Age Freedom Ring from these 'expies' and a few characters with whom we are already acquainted is accepted!

Charles, fine work and I'll see if I can work around my varying distractions to post some comments. :D
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Phrozen
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Phrozen » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:46 am

Charles Phipps wrote:Rampart was such a bad cop, Hollywood could literally not portray him on screen without looking ridiculous. Adaptations had to TONE DOWN what a psychopath he was. Officer Sweet learned from the experience and is much better at hiding it.

Rampart's return will not be pleasing to anyone but, well, hard to argue with undead god powers.

Rampart was part Officer Tenpenny, part Norman Stansfield, and part Alonzo Harris.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:04 am

Libra wrote:Voltron, your challenge to flesh out a Golden Age Freedom Ring from these 'expies' and a few characters with whom we are already acquainted is accepted!

I very much look forward to that and how they knocked Der Fuhrer, Il Duce, and Kamisori/The Razor down a few pegs.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:40 am

I can only hope that your faith in me is justified; I also hope that you will not object if I draft in a few old friends from one of my first contributions to The Think Tank to fill out the roster a touch (not entirely my own, so I'll have to PM the creator of the majority for his permission before I get anything rolling).
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Voltron64 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:42 am

Libra wrote:I can only hope that your faith in me is justified; I also hope that you will not object if I draft in a few old friends from one of my first contributions to The Think Tank to fill out the roster a touch (not entirely my own, so I'll have to PM the creator of the majority for his permission before I get anything rolling).

A) I might be unfamiliar with your first contributions and B) I'm very sure he'll let you.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:08 pm

I don't mind assuming agreement, but I think it only polite to ask first rather than assume consent.

As for my first creations, you can find them in the GM Only section by searching 'Out of Time' or perhaps for 'Liberty Corps' (a major part of the reason I have asked for permission is because I plan to use ALMOST the whole team, rather than just my own creations).

For the record I've come up with (borrowed or thought up) names for the characters you've asked me to create: Dash Thunderbolt!, The Torch of Liberty, Grace Harlowe (later known as Lady Star), The Humanova and Kid Supermind.

greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Postby greycrusader » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:15 pm

Voltron64 wrote:Guys, here are some genuine super-powered heroes in Earth-1938 who were active during WW2 that I'm sure could be expanded upon. (All of whom participated in the daring defeat of Japan after they stopped Hitler and his Aryan super-soldiers.)

-A direct Expy of Jay Garrick
-A direct Expy of Alan Scott
-A semi-direct Expy of Diana Prince/Donna Mason
-A semi-direct Expy of a certain pyrokinetic replicant.
-A teenage Master of Magnetism serving as the boy mascot whose family had fled Germany to escape the Nazis.

:mrgreen:

If Libra might like codenames to expand upon:

-The mystically empowered Native-American G.I super-speedster Fleetfoot.
-The Night-Diamond, who commands dark-matter using his cosmic gem.
-Gloriana the Ultimate Woman, envoy to Great Britain who hails from a secluded island founded by an ancient sect devoted to science and reason; first among equals of the society's clone population.
-The mad-science creation known as theRadium Brain, an atomically powered synthetic mind in a human body, who channels bursts of light and heat through fingers and eyes.
Sparky, the mis-nicknamed teenager who can warp metal with his mind.

All my best.
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Settings”