Justice Legion - Supers vs Aliens - OOC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Justice Legion - Supers vs Aliens - Recruiting

Postby Bladewind » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:54 pm

optionqb wrote:I had an idea for an Ocean/Aquatic Hero based on the Selkath Race from Star Wars. I know that some GMs don't care for heroes in the mold of Aquaman or Namor for various reasons. If you really don't think this concept meshes with your plot, then let me know and I wont waste my time.

Don't make him too water dependant and I have no issue. I don't disdain either hero that you mention so he won't be given the short end of the stick when I make selections.

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:07 pm

EnigmaticOne wrote:Tinker

Background is perfect - enough to provide some meat, and enough to flesh out the idea.

As for the build:

:arrow: Not complaining, but curious as to the martial abilities of the character. They don't seem to fit with the background too much, even if they fit with the game. That's just a fluff issue though.
:arrow: Not that I want a greater headache, but your Variable Pool only grants you ten points for your use... You're going to have to flaw your devices to get any real mileage out of them. Granted, this doesn't account for what you can pull off with your Inventor advantage so it may be enough.
:arrow: If you could find a point or two (perhaps an AP of your variable pool, or even use said pool) for some kind of "Intuitive Understanding." By touching an object, you can understand it's use and how it works. Just a thought.
:arrow: I will review the crunchy buts more when I get closer to selections.

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:15 pm

Nillaman wrote:I had an idea, involving a character who possesses an Array of Close Effects that revolve around their body generating enough electricity to power a small town. I'd also like to give them some kind of device that allows them to channel their powers over a distance.

So the Increased Ranged Modifer, with a one or two point Variable Descriptor feat to allow it to apply to any Power in the Array for my character, either as a Removeable Device with a Restricted feat to limit it to my character, or with a Power Loss Complication to represent how the device or devices can be taken away from him.

Otherwise they'd be your level-headed accountant type looking to do their best I'm defense of humanity. Very perky and optimistic.

In a word, yes.

TempestII
Cohort
Cohort

Postby TempestII » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:42 pm

Bladewind wrote:Hmm...

TempestII... not ready to comment on the build yet but I want to jump in before someone gets all rules-lawyery on you... Just want to point out that if you got these abilities then an alien in the invasion force has similiar abilities... or at the very least the critters exist out there...

So I should pack some bug-spray :P .

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EnigmaticOne » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:57 pm

Bladewind wrote:
EnigmaticOne wrote:Tinker

Background is perfect - enough to provide some meat, and enough to flesh out the idea.

As for the build:

:arrow: Not complaining, but curious as to the martial abilities of the character. They don't seem to fit with the background too much, even if they fit with the game. That's just a fluff issue though.
:arrow: Not that I want a greater headache, but your Variable Pool only grants you ten points for your use... You're going to have to flaw your devices to get any real mileage out of them. Granted, this doesn't account for what you can pull off with your Inventor advantage so it may be enough.
:arrow: If you could find a point or two (perhaps an AP of your variable pool, or even use said pool) for some kind of "Intuitive Understanding." By touching an object, you can understand it's use and how it works. Just a thought.
:arrow: I will review the crunchy buts more when I get closer to selections.

Oh, idea! I strip out the Ranged Attack and some of the other more combat related advantages. I can put Accurate on the Blaster, and use the the pool for that Intuitive Understanding. How does that sound?
Impeach the peach!

CaptainChaos
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby CaptainChaos » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:56 pm

I'm thinking of a hero based on an alien made of crystal or quartz. Does anyone have any ideas on what race to base it off of? I did a quick search on wikipedia without much success.

Thanks.

Shadow13
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Shadow13 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:01 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:I'm thinking of a hero based on an alien made of crystal or quartz. Does anyone have any ideas on what race to base it off of? I did a quick search on wikipedia without much success.

Thanks.

Ben 10 had a one of quartz google all the aliens in that series
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member13977.png[/img][/url]

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby kenmadragon » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:13 pm

That show had a sh*t-ton of weird alien ideas, many of which were gross enough to be involved in superheroics and bad-guy-ness. I mean, one of the alien ideas was this short little creature like some weird saurian frog whose main ability was the ability to eat anything, melt it into some kind of acid sludge in it's belly, the vomit it out like an acidic projectile blob... Guess what it was called... Upchuck.

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby XeroKhan » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:19 pm

kenmadragon wrote:That show had a sh*t-ton of weird alien ideas, many of which were gross enough to be involved in superheroics and bad-guy-ness. I mean, one of the alien ideas was this short little creature like some weird saurian frog whose main ability was the ability to eat anything, melt it into some kind of acid sludge in it's belly, the vomit it out like an acidic projectile blob... Guess what it was called... Upchuck.

Ah, memories of Ghostfreak come to my mind.

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:27 pm

@ CaptainChaos: Depends on what you are looking for in terms of abilities. I could easily rule that the Dominators have a crystalline skeleton (kind of like the fabled Crystal Skull of various sources...)

@ EnigmaticOne: Absolutely. That makes perfect sense.

@ XeroKhan: Need an alien DNA Donor and a background to provide feedback

@ flynnarrel: Not going to insist on anything here, but want to point out that the Gorn/ Trandoshans/ Badoon are immune to infravision in this setting and have keen darkvision. Just an FYI.

@ shadow13: Is this the race you are referring to for your character? Neat twist, if so, to give me a slave race for the Alliance while giving yourself a Wolvie character in the process. If so, I'd like to see a little of their appearance in the build or character description, even if it doesn't give abilities. If not, I'd like info on the DNA Donor...

@ kenmandragon: Loved the way you played this character in Legacies and hope to see more... Fret not, the Reach will not necessarily be an immediate part of the Alliance. In fact, they may be independents. Oh... the possibilities...

@ jemal: I have no issue with the build being a Daxamite DNA infusion. In fact, although I keep saying Daxamite, it's more accurate to say "Kryptonian Class" so your outline works.

@ Evolución: I think that I answered to your robot request. One last question, is it a Prototype or just materially expensive and not in mass production yet as a result?

@ all: Please let me know if I missed anything in terms of questions or builds.
Last edited by Bladewind on Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby kenmadragon » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:44 pm

Just so long as we keep in mind that the Reach don't exactly mass-produce their Scarabs. The Reach Infiltrators are meant to be sleeper agents or spies for the Reach who lower the planet's defenses to incursion and immure the populace to the idea of alien "friends" who then approach the planet offering the hand of peace and/or protection from other alien forces, while the Reach secretly installs their forces upon the planet then simply take over by surprise without needing too many soldiers. Take the Young Justice show, which did a really good example of how the Reach operated. They don't have armies of symbiotes, just the few. In the nu52 comic I only saw one or two Reach Infiltrators with Scarabs apart from Jaime, and in the Young Justice show, there were only the Green Beetle, the Black Beetle, and the Blue Beetle.

Yeah, I did my homework. :mrgreen:

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:47 pm

kenmadragon wrote:Yeah, I did my homework. :mrgreen:

Yeah, so have I. :twisted:

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EnigmaticOne » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:57 pm

viewtopic.php?p=1363106#p1363106

Updated my sheet. I collapsed the Devices Variable into the full Intuitive Understanding pool, and stripped away the Advantages, added Accurate... and cut out a few skill points to make costs meet.
Impeach the peach!

optionqb
Champion
Champion

Postby optionqb » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:06 pm

The Marian

PL 11 (165)
Height: 7'0"
Weight: 450 lbs.
Name: Roberto Bautista
Ethnicity: Chamorro (Pacific Islander)
Country of Origin: Guam (U.S.)
Native Language: English (with some Spanish although not fluent)

Abilities:
STRENGTH 8/10 STAMINA 7/10 AGILITY 1/3
FIGHTING 8/11 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2/4 PRESENCE 1/3

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+3/+5)
Athletics 2 (+8/+12)
Deception 4 (+5/+7)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+9/+12)
Expertise (Aquatic Geography) 12 (+13)
Expertise (Animal Healing) 10 (+13)
Insight 4 (+6/+8)
Intimidation 8 (+9/+11)
Perception 5 (+7/+9)
Persuasion 3 (+4/+6)
Stealth 3 (+6)
Technology 2 (+3)

Advantages:
Animal Empathy, Chokehold, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Fast Grab, Favored Environment (Underwater), Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Disarm, Improved Grab, Leadership, Move-By Action, Power Attack

Powers:

Base Power (Free): (Growth 2, quirk no height gain), Power Lifting 1 (12 tons)
Growth mods (+2 STR, +2 STA, +2 Mass)

"Marine Physiology"

Immunity 3 (Drowning, Pressure, Cold) [3]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Aquatic) [2]
Swimming 9 (250 mph) [9]
Senses 2 (Darkvision) [2] ; “Sonar” Hearing (Accurate, Extended 2; Flaw: Only Underwater) [2]
Immunity 10 (Water Effects) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [5]
Improved abilities (2 STR, 3 STA, 2 AGL, 3 FGT, 2 AWA, 2 PRE; Flaw: Only in Aquatic environments) [15]
Strength 5 (Flaws: Only for Lifting, Only in Aquatic Environments) (1,600 tons) [2]

"Aquatic Beastmaster"
Communication (Mental) 3 (Extras: Area) (Flaw: Limited to Marine Life) [12]
Comprehend (Animals) 2 (Flaw: Limited to Marine Life) [2]
Improved Skill (Persuasion 16 (+19) ; Flaw: Limited to Marine Life) {4]

Offense:
Unarmed +9/+12 (+8/+10 Damage, DC 23/25)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10/+12 (DC 20/22), Parry +9/+12 (DC 19/22), Toughness +7/+10, Fortitude +11/+12, Will +8/+10

Total: Abilities: 48(56 with freebies) / Skills: 56--28 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 58 / Defenses: 18 (165) (173 with freebies)

Motivations:
Protecting the Oceans
– The Marian knows that the seas must be exploited by humans for survival, but he strives to restore some sort of sustainable balance. He is especially angered by greedy and wasteful destruction of marine life (such as killing sharks only for their fins). He harbors enmity against the alien for their over-exploitation of the Earth's resources.

Doing Good – The Marian was once human, so he does not harbor any irrational hatred of mankind. Quite the opposite; he wishes to insure the well-being of humanity by encouraging a long-term harmony with the seas. He also wishes to save humanity from alien abuse.

Complications:
Loneliness
– The Marian is not fully human nor fully Nautolan. Spending too much time on land or at sea creates anxiety for the other realm. Unfortunately, he cannot take human companionship with him into the depths of the sea. When the desire to return to the deep overtakes him, he must heed its call.

Fatal Separation – Although the Marian is noticably weaker the moment he leaves an aquatic environment, he suffers even more profound debilitation if he is out of contact with water for more than a week. His body begins to produce toxins which will shortly result in kidney failure (Loss of one stamina per day).

Inhuman appearance – The Marian cannot pass for a human without considerable cosmetic alteration.

History:

Originally, Rolando was a young entrepreneur trying to run a small, one man scuba diving tour on the U.S. island of Guam. His tourist business barely got off the ground when the alien invasion occurred. With the coming destruction and ensuing world panic, tourism dropped and he went bankrupt.

As an athletic young man who spent his whole life swimming, exploring, and fishing in the ocean, he really didn't have any other skills to fall back on for income. When the Nautolans began their incursion into the worlds seas and oceans, he had no choice but to stand by helplessly and watch as international shipping and offshore oil wells fell into their hands.

That was before he heard of the Justice Legion. He submitted himself to their psychological tests and made his preferences known. They respected his choice and found him a near perfect match to receive the DNA overlay. The changes were widespread than the scientists predicted. And Rolando took the name The Marian as a proud reminder of his origin among the Mariana Islands.
Last edited by optionqb on Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:32 pm, edited 18 times in total.

TempestII
Cohort
Cohort

Postby TempestII » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:18 pm

I'll be changing my submission. I'm thinking about submitting a vampiric-like character - someone whom was a volunteer before the scientists had perfected the genetic engineering process. As a result, they didn't get one ability from the aliens, but rather a wide spectrum which includes strengths and sensitivities that are similar to the fanged monsters of myth, including the need/taste for human blood and powerlessness in direct sunlight.

Unfortunately, that means a character with a wide range of possibilities and powers, and frankly the Vampire Lord presented in the 2nd Edition rules of the game is quite lackluster. Anyone have any such builds that they could provide for some inspiration?

Return to “M&M Game Room”