Age of Wonders thread IV

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
MightyDavidson
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Age of Wonders thread IV

Post by MightyDavidson » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:53 pm

Voltron64 wrote:As in have those wooden rulers of theirs shoved up somewhere the sun don't shine.

:twisted:
Let's just say, that if Maria Tesla was a teacher in Matilda the narrative would deal, at least in part, with the mysterious disappearance of the Trunchbull.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:52 pm

well, my recovery was longer taking than expected and I am not yet better yet but should be hopefully by Monday.

Thanks everyone for your patience.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:55 pm

You're welcome, though mine has been wearing a little thin. :lol:
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:44 pm

Remember, you guys can post as WELL as me.

:D

However, I should be back after tomorrow.

The Fall of the Star Kingdom Awaits!

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:54 pm

Update -

Am getting another Doctor's appointment today but am playing Black Flag until then. My wife's early Xmas present.

Arr matey.

I submitted a "Halt Evil Doer!" short story to Emby Press' The Good Fight superhero anthology.

I also submitted another short story during my period of incapacitation.

So there's that.

(Also, Kat is fully recovered so YAY!)

I'll try and get something done tonight, though.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:10 pm

Charles Phipps wrote:Remember, you guys can post as WELL as me.

:D

However, I should be back after tomorrow.

The Fall of the Star Kingdom Awaits!
What kind of barbarians stand at its gates?

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

MightyDavidson
Zealot
Zealot

Post by MightyDavidson » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:16 pm

Am I the only one that doesn't want the Star Kingdom to fall? I mean, it's Space Camelot how awesome is that?

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:19 pm

MightyDavidson wrote:Am I the only one that doesn't want the Star Kingdom to fall? I mean, it's Space Camelot how awesome is that?
Oh, I'm in total agreement.

It's just the Kingdom is probably about to go through their own version of the Blitz at the very least. :shock:

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:12 am

Voltron64 wrote:What kind of barbarians stand at its gates?
It's own darkness as the Good King has finally passed only to have the Purists seize power decades later than expected (with the help of One). It's now a civil war with the smarter members of the Royal Family vs. the Purists in a Revolution vs. the Republic that's taking advantage of this to liberate their colonies versus SPACE PIRATES!

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:35 am

Probably the ones pushing them shut from the inside!

AHOY THERE Cap'n Phipps! I'm right glad that your Mrs Kat is well-recovered an' trust that ye shall follow in her footsteps (apologies for that) right quick, although I fear sailing under the Black Flag will swallow more of your time than recovering from your bad belly if the game catches your affections as it has mine (hunting beasts, prizes AND treasure? AYE! out-swimming sharks and then harpooning them wretches for fun and profit? AYE! Swashing your buckle across the West Indies Sea? AYE! bonnie scenery and Mistress Anne Bonney? ARRRRRRRR!); one last piece of advice - put your money into your ship, rather than your wardrobe (it's a sounder investment).
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:18 pm

Libra wrote:
Probably the ones pushing them shut from the inside!
Yeah, the ones who complain the most about barbarians tend to be little more than barbarians themselves.

:roll:

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:00 am

The Fall of the Star Kingdom of Camelot

One is a grandmaster of chess.

The realization the Titans were breaking free from their age old cages, or weakening them at least, was enough to make him realize his current plans for the eventual domination of all life in the cosmos would have to be altered. The addition of the End's Abyssal legions further through his figures into chaos. So was the introduction of the Renegade and Army of Free Programsl who were conducting a plucky resistance against his authoritarian cyberspace regime. When the King in Shadows destroyed his cache of magical energy and Legendary freed Digitopolis, One decided he'd had enough.

So One killed Camelot.

Oh, the Star Kingdom of Camelot still stands in theory but the price for the Boy Who Wouldn't Be King was a dear one. Unleashing the Cyberplague across Londonium, One killed over a billion souls and proceeded to trigger the Second Great Awakening of superpowers. These have triggered tens of thousands of people awakening with superpowers as well as collapsing the Old Empire.
Superpowers that, of course, are merely extensions of their existence as cybernetic knights of One. Sadly, these individuals don't KNOW they lack free will until One cruelty rips it away from them.
King Liam was promptly murdered by his son, Percival ap Camelot. Percival had literally been on the chopping block when he developed the ability to switch bodies. Killing his father by taking over his body and overwriting his memories with his own, Percival has personally sworn his allegiance to One and now is little more than the Cybergod's mouthpiece.

Using the Cyberplague as an excuse, One promptly blamed the Purist cause for the attack and executed over a million noblemen and their families. Armed with their vast wealth, he has started a dramatic war of conquest of other races. What is the rationale? Apparently, the Purists were under the influence of "Titans" or, at least, their evil religious fanatic supporters in the Sanctity.
As a vast religion spread across many "primitive" cultures, it makes an excellent scapegoat. It also increases the number of faithful which flock to the cause every year-which One is glad of. He intends to draw his enemy out of hiding by blowing holes in reality to their prison--which is so stupid it can only come from the emotional side of One's brain.
The Star Kingdom of Camelot has transformed from a snobbish Imperialist society into a fascist mockery of King Arthur's dream and imagery. Millions of citizens sign up for the military every day, only to be inoculated with a vaccination against the Cyberplague. An inoculation that warps the minds of those infected to become soulless servants of One.
One actually is shaping their beliefs rather than using direct mind-control as completely subjugating someone allows the Titans to infect them far too easily. Instead, One's injections simply make you believe in the cause of High British Culture.
One has similar plots brewing in the Caliphate, former Sovius Union (*rimshot*), the Republic, and on Earth-0. Indeed, having allied with Professor Proton, he's already started infecting the supporters of PHOBOS to make them into his unwitting pawns. The Star Kingdom of Camelot is nothing more than cannon fodder, as are all these other worlds though, being prepared as a shield for One against the forces that he believes might undo him. He'd gladly have them all die for him if it meant his own survival.

Unfortunately, One isn't quite the Magnificent Bastard he thinks he is because the Nexus doesn't run on Chess rules. It functions more like Calvinball. Prince Julius has taken over his sister Mary's starship and allied with The Commandant, of all people, to form a pirate navy that is waging war outside of the Nexus from the Deathzone in order to cripple the Star Kingdom's brutality.

This is to be expected.

What wasn't expected is Julius acquired a sample of the Cyberplague, subjected it to the magic of Repairman's hammer, and has transformed it into a harmless bacteria that results in people randomly regaining their ability to achieve superpowers once exposed to the Nexus. In addition to the pirates proceeding to seriously impede One's campaign of expansionism, they're awakening hundreds and thousands of worlds to their lost powers whenever possible. Really, it's only a lack of chemicals as well as manufacturing bases that prevents them from unleashing a new superpowered age.
Julius has abandoned his previous identity, only answering to the name, Pirate X from which he commands the Free Brethren Alliance. Ironically, the Sword of Camelot has come to Julius but he refuses to take it as he's decided that the nobility system has got to go.

He also knows much of his support would disappear if his men knew he was a Royal. Julius has entered into a romantic relationship with the Commandant despite the difference in their ages and operates in combat from a copy of Big Ajax created by the Outrageous Order. They alone, are aware of his true identity. He's actually had to fire on his sister, Legendary, when she attempted to rally the nobility.

She, erroneously, believes that Julius was killed by Pirate X and circumstances keep the Outrageous Order from telling her otherwise. Not the least reason being she can't keep a secret to save her life.
Princess Marie has been appointed Grand Admiral of the Security Fleet, a largely meaningless title, for the purposes of destroying the Free Brethren Alliance. Admiral Marie has also claimed, illegally, governorship of the Death Zone and has set on a campaign of torture and murder against the traders there. Given the Death Zone is the No. 1# trading hub in the Nexus, the Celestial Commerce Guild has started wondering whether they should put to use their Iron Bank of Braavos-like resources to show One that you may turn nations into video games but you do NOT mess with free trade.

The ridiculousness of the transformation of the Death Zone into a new Caribbean continues with the fact Princess Marie has started handing out "privateering" licenses like they were candy to anyone who raids, murders, and pillages "enemies of the Star Kingdom. This has shoved another player into the game as the Grand Republic has always wanted an excuse to put an end to the Star Kingdom but it would have been months to react to the atrocities of the new regime without Admiral Marie's massacres of Republic citizens.

A state of war has now begun between the two powers.
Need we mention the Death Zone is filled with all manner of ghosts, ruins, and magical relics to compliment the Space Piracy going on?
Last edited by Charles Phipps on Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:27 am

Soundtrack for the Fall of the Star Kingdom of Camelot

1. Cyberplague: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bF_J7BwR-I

2. The Commandant versus the entire Camelot Navy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULzDJTo1zNw

3. The Outrageous Order convince Prince Julius to turn Pirate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFkkeWeTQFY

4. Space Pirate Theme (Instrumental): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOvbr1YhsBI

5. King Liam's Curse on his son: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN9bcHoThNU

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:22 am

Huh.

1. So One is turning the Kingdom into another Sovius?

2. Has Princess Marie been subverted like her brother?

3. Is it gonna be up to Legendary and Julius to save the day by getting all the help they can find?

4. I knew the CCG was totally Iron Bank, Charles, I knew it! :mrgreen:

5. Is this what Julius's pirate outfit looks like? :wink:

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:30 am

BTW, this is what I'd imagine to be an example of a ship battle in the Deathzone in the ensuing One-Above-All/Star Kingdom raids on the Ostilliroths and Deathmonger's home turf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO-wDK-phI0

:twisted: