Age of Wonders thread IV

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Daibhid C
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Age of Wonders thread IV

Post by Daibhid C » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:30 am

I imagine that conversations between Marie and Smiley sound a lot like a gender-flipped Osborn and Victoria Hand.

"Ma'am, I hope you know you command my utmost loyalty, and it is with this loyalty in mind that I feel I must check whether you've taken your medication today?"

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:46 am

Daibhid C wrote:I imagine that conversations between Marie and Smiley sound a lot like a gender-flipped Osborn and Victoria Hand.

"Ma'am, I hope you know you command my utmost loyalty, and it is with this loyalty in mind that I feel I must check whether you've taken your medication today?"
Oooo, good catch.

Victoria Hand, where loyalty is proving how much you're willing to betray your country for your boss.

:mrgreen:

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:55 am

Now I wanna see Green Goblin get curbstomped by a hero who's not Spider-Man.
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:52 am

Cyber Corsairs Extended part 3

Bloody Annie: Bloody Annie is a case of what happens when someone gets kicked around their entire life and doesn't have the kind of influence to channel those feelings to positive ends. A citizen of Earth-92, Anne Bonham was sold into slavery through the CCG and ended up being misused for a long time in the Caliphate's harems before she was freed by the Hashishan. Taking up their Creed of "Everything is allowed, Nothing should hold you back" (at least that was her take on it) plus gross misuse of psychic drugs--she waged a particularly savage campaign of slaughter against slavers as well as those involved in the trade.

This activity wasn't going to lose the assistance of the Hashishan, even if she was perhaps a little too enthusiastic in her torture and mayhem. Unfortunately, she allowed her loathing of slavers to cloud her judgement and was tricked by JINN into leading her entire fleet into a trap based on faulty information. Worse, she was recaptured and under the tender ministrations of his inquistors was forced to reveal the locations of countless Assassin boltholes. New Masyaf and many of her fellows burned in the resulting carnage.

Guilt-stricken, Bloody Annie fled to Asteroid Cove where she was quick to lose herself in a crowd. That was when she was recruited by The Black Shadow who promised her a chance at redeeming herself by putting her into the Cyber-Corsairs as a double-agent. Bloody Annie proceeded to become an agent provocateur within the ranks of the Cyber-Corsairs, constantly spurring them on to greater atrocities and bloody confrontations with the empires in hopes of wiping them out. The Black Shadow fed her many psychic drugs to feed her obsession that these actions were just and right, bringing the Cyber Corsairs to their doom.

Recently, a chance encounter with a top hat wearing mystic from a Golden Age Earth forced Bloody Annie to confront that her visions were false. That, indeed, the Black Shadow had drastically increased the power of the Cyber-Corsairs with her help and her actions had resulted in one of the most powerful slave-holding networks in the Nexus being created. It would have broken anyone else but Annie had long ago been shattered, so this merely rearranged the pieces.

Bloody Annie has no idea how to kill a god but blessed with expansive psychic powers that are working correctly for the first time in decades, she's decided to destroy the Cyber-Corsairs in a manner suitably final. Bloody Annie has assassinated many lesser pirates and is consolidating her power before preparing to move against Skull Asteroid. Right now, she'll be destroyed utterly but is seeking out superheroes (or villains) who might serve as allies for this epic sacking. Unfortunately, she's not the most congenial sort and finding her champions may involve trying to kidnap them from their homeworld.

Bloody Annie dresses in men's clothing from the 17th century. She is a lovely woman, albeit one now in her middle-years with a pair of scars across her face she deliberately inflicted to destroy her beauty. Instead, it mostly just makes her seem more wild.

Scarbrand: Some pirates are greedy, some are evil, and some are just ****ing nuts. Scarbrand is the bald, mustached pirate king of some of the most deranged drug-addled pirates in the Cove. I'm not saying he's as crazy as Vaas from Far Cry 3, I'm saying he's much worse and only likely to get more so if allowed to continue his depredations.

The child of a Golden Age superhero from a nameless Earth, Tobias Brand was raised to be one of the champions of his "Lost Kingdom" homeland. He was put through a piteous regime of magical remedies, jungle training, and secret techniques in battle. Tobias' final test was to go into the Great Temple and retrieve the magical brand which would mark him as the Chosen One for his generation.

He failed.

Abandoned by his people, who promptly turned to an outsider who managed to pass the test in a proper Edgar Rice Burroughs fashion, Tobias turned to piracy in hopes supervillainy would alleviate the hole in his heart. He was not particularly fond of being the bad guy, though, and was about ready to give up his experiment when he was attacked by his replacement. The self-righteous egotist decided the failed wielder of the magical brand was the perfect place to begin his quest to rid the world of all evil.

Scarbrand killed him, easily. An act which was followed by his sacking of his home nation, hunting down and killing his ancestor, and then killing the gods of his people. After that, Tobias decided he was actually fairly good at villainy after all.

Taking the name Scarbrand, Tobias has re-imagined himself as the Scourge of Heroism. Deducing that superheroes need tragedy to be properly motivated, why the outsider failed against him, he goes throughout the universe inflicting misery and horror but leaving plenty of survivors in hopes they will become motivated to avenge themselves.
Yes, this is completely insane.
Scarband appears as a man of mixed racial descent covered in magical tattoos and scarification which provide him with incredible supernatural speed, agility, endurance, regeneration, and the ability to summon magical animals. Scarbrand, like Shorpacked's Batman, can also breathe in space. A master swordsman, Scarbrand tortures and inflicts psychological horrors unimaginable on people he thinks are "interesting" in hopes one of them will eventually prove strong enough to kill him.

So far, none have.
Scarbrand's pirate hordes are mostly made of ex-slaves he's driven insane or recruited from the most bloodthirsty of the Cyber-Corsairs. They're almost universally medicated on a variety of weird cocktails, so their grasp of reality is shaky at the best of times. They're as likely to kill everyone as enslave them or engage in cold-blooded torture. They also dress like someone's idea of a Tropical Space version of Mad Max.
The Red Roger: What pirate fleet would be complete without an undead abomination? The Red Roger is a mummified pirate from Middle-Zoth who is operating under an ill-advised curse that accidentally granted him immortality as well as great magical power while attempting to make him suffer eternal torment. This is actually a fairly common problem with curses and why you should just stick to killing someone when you are seeking revenge. The curse-inflictor, Rozarak the Undying, is less than pleased with the results and currently sending out agents in hopes of finding his former protege and "reclaiming" his immortality.

The exact circumstances of the Red Roger's unforgivable crime, of which he's committed many, are lost to antiquity but he's made it a point to collect curses since. Amongst these many curses, he's vulnerable to ale (that burns him like holy water) and his genitalia would fall off if not for the fact he's already a dessicated corpse.
Because of the Red Roger's particular offensiveness to the gods, any attempt to curse him has a 20% chance of success. It's a quality which extends to his crew and they are thus one of the most doomed and superstitious bunches in Asteroid Cove.
The Red Roger is willing to extend his particular brand of immortality to any of his crew, which consists of a diseased touch that will (over the course of three days) kill someone and ressurrect them as an unholy undead pirate of the same manner as himself. Yes, just like Mummy Rot in Dungeons and Dragons. Only a third of his crew have taken him up on this offer since the result prevents them from enjoying anything but bloodshed and general mayhem. Unlike the majority of his crew, the Red Roger has also taken up interests in a variety of other subjects than the taking of life and suffering of the living.
The Red Roger's interests include jazz, knitting, dancing, the writing of really bad romance novels, and a sport called 'Rogerball.'
The Red Roger is immortal so long as his curse remains in effect but it is possible to destroy his physical body. The Red Roger's essence will then move to one of his undead crew within a year and a day, the remaining time being spent in torment in "Pirate Hell." It is questionable if Pirate Hell is a spiritual place or merely a location generated by the curse but it's unpleasantness is certainly real. Security in Pirate Hell is abyssal, though, since the Red Roger has escaped it numerous times before his sentence is up.
Only Rozarak or one of the Red Roger's original victims can remove his curse, however. Heroes hoping to stop his depredations should, instead, destroy his physical body then capture his ghost in a suitable vessel.

A ship in the bottle, rum bottle, undead parrot, pegleg, hook, eyepatch, or pirate hat are all appropriate vessels.
Partially because Middle-Zoth has stereotypical pirates anyway and also because he enjoys theatricality, the Red Roger decorates his fleet in a manner that invokes haunted. The ships battle-damage is often barely patched over (not a problem when they don't need life-support in many areas) and filled with all manner of bloody decorations. This makes the occasional flourish like the Ikea stands, TVs, and toys that fill the crew's quarters all the more unsettling. The Red Roger, himself, does his best to evoke every pirate cliche imaginable.

Despite possessing a jovial demeanor, the Red Roger is a mass murderer of epic proportions and thoroughly evil. He's not particularly sadistic about his actions, which makes the massive amount of undeath and misery he spreads across creation all the more inexplicable. Apparently, he just likes being a horrible person/undead abomination.
The Red Roger is significantly smarter than the majority of his fellows and often is able to causally manipulate them through his Obfuscating Cloudcookoolander habits.
Last edited by Charles Phipps on Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:02 am

Always enjoy the chance for find more heinous baddies to blow up and/or decapitate, Charles!

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:09 am

Also, besides the Star Kingdom, what other groups are the Cyber-Corsairs heavily associated with?

The Locust Horde? The Huns? The Sanctity? The Celestial Lions? Big 13? Red Jade and the various product of her Super-Uterus?

:wink:

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:11 am

Voltron64 wrote:Always enjoy the chance for find more heinous baddies to blow up and/or decapitate, Charles!
I think you'll like the Red Roger then.

See above.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:18 am

Charles Phipps wrote:
Voltron64 wrote:Always enjoy the chance for find more heinous baddies to blow up and/or decapitate, Charles!
I think you'll like the Red Roger then.

See above.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fzXmJyolfY

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:22 am

Voltron64 wrote:Also, besides the Star Kingdom, what other groups are the Cyber-Corsairs heavily associated with?

The Locust Horde? The Huns? The Sanctity? The Celestial Lions? Big 13? Red Jade and the various product of her Super-Uterus?

The Cyber Corsairs primarily sell their expansive slave cargoes to the Sanctity and Caliphate. The former having a heavy presence in the latter (and being a source of considerable unease to the Muslim and Hindu majorities). The Cyber Corsairs have a loose alliance with the Huns, given Killer Mary is one of their Princesses but nothing concrete. The Red Jade would be quite able to take over a large portion of their forces because, well, she's just that awesome.

The Celestial Lions and the Corsairs are presently estranged. You see, the CL promised them they'd be able to sack a Post-WW2 world without much difficulty only for the Big 13 to create a bunch of superheroes that destroyed numerous Cyber-Corsair fleets during their invasion. It would only take the promise of profit, however, to get the Corsairs back on the CL's side and give them another army to invade the worlds of man.

Torment also regularly uses the Corsairs to harass his enemies.

Hilariously, I totally see Adonis as being a Captain beloved by his crew-at least until he wastes all their money and rum.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:24 am

Charles Phipps wrote:
Voltron64 wrote:Also, besides the Star Kingdom, what other groups are the Cyber-Corsairs heavily associated with?

The Cyber Corsairs primarily sell their expansive slave cargoes to the Sanctity and Caliphate. The former having a heavy presence in the latter (and being a source of considerable unease to the Muslim and Hindu majorities). The Cyber Corsairs have a loose alliance with the Huns, given Killer Mary is one of their Princesses but nothing concrete. The Red Jade would be quite able to take over a large portion of their forces because, well, she's just that awesome.

The Celestial Lions and the Corsairs are presently estranged. You see, the CL promised them they'd be able to sack a Post-WW2 world without much difficulty only for the Big 13 to create a bunch of superheroes that destroyed numerous Cyber-Corsair fleets during their invasion. It would only take the promise of profit, however, to get the Corsairs back on the CL's side and give them another army to invade the worlds of man.

Torment also regularly uses the Corsairs to harass his enemies.
But he f***ing hates them and tries to kill them once their job is done whenever he has the chance.

(Also, do you agree with me on Red Jade having a Super-Uterus as a power?)

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:26 am

No.

Mostly because having a bunch of superpowered kids is an inevitable result of being a demigoddess.

I mean, seriously, do you want to know how many superpowered children EVERY member of the Pantheon has?

Zeus would be proud.

(And he's the Patron Saint of superpowered children turned heroes)

I won't even talk about the Assassins Creed-like legacy Mister Arcane is leaving behind across the Nexus.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:27 am

Charles Phipps wrote:No.

Mostly because having a bunch of superpowered kids is an inevitable result of being a demigoddess.

I mean, seriously, do you want to know how many superpowered children EVERY member of the Pantheon has?

Zeus would be proud.

(And he's the Patron Saint of superpowered children turned heroes)

I won't even talk about the Assassins Creed-like legacy Mister Arcane is leaving behind across the Nexus.
I was referring more to having had dozens of kids and still looking great.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:55 am

Voltron64 wrote: I was referring more to having had dozens of kids and still looking great.
There's an acronym for that.

I wonder what it is.

Starts with M.

:-)

I'll let Libra catch up before working on any more pirates.

Psistrike
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Psistrike » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:56 am

Recently, a chance encounter with a top hat wearing mystic from a Golden Age Earth forced Bloody Annie to confront that her visions were false.
Would that mystic happen to be Mandrake of the Defenders of the Earth? :D

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:32 pm

Most certainly not - we couldn't afford that lawsuit, so we'll just take option (A) and settle back to watch old Doc Zodiac at work (admittedly he and old Master Mandrake share a refined sense of style, but Doctor Zodiac's history is much stranger). :wink:

Charles, I'll do my best to catch up but the Desolation of Smaug is calling to me so we'll just have to see how things develop or fail to! (fine work on your pirates, by the way!). :mrgreen:
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.