J-Mart: Preparing for Relocation... :)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Locked
Khakhan
Bystander
Bystander
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: J-Mart: HAPPY NEW YEAR! Lobo vs. Thor Playtest

Post by Khakhan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:33 pm

Looking forward to it. Especially the X-builds. Happy new year guys and gals.

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind
Posts: 2320
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:55 pm

Re: J-Mart: HAPPY NEW YEAR! Lobo vs. Thor Playtest

Post by kenmadragon » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:03 pm

Turtle Bros versus Storm Shadow and/or Snake-Eyes? Or maybe Turtles versus combined Hand and Foot nin?

Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight
Posts: 504
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:13 pm
Location: Outer Chicagoland, Earth-Two
Contact:

Re: J-Mart: HAPPY NEW YEAR! Lobo vs. Thor Playtest

Post by Earth-Two_Kenn » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:05 am

Just as long we don't see the Hand against the Man-Thing.
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 13293
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Riding the range

Re: J-Mart: HAPPY NEW YEAR! Lobo vs. Thor Playtest

Post by Horsenhero » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:36 am

Earth-Two_Kenn wrote:Just as long we don't see the Hand against the Man-Thing.
There would have to be some cheesy '70's style bow-chicka-wow-wow music in that one. :lol:

Gothenem
Comrade
Comrade
Posts: 411
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:55 am
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: J-Mart: HAPPY NEW YEAR! Lobo vs. Thor Playtest

Post by Gothenem » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:31 am

How about Wonder Woman vs. Ms. Marvel.

Barring that, WW vs. Hellboy

Sidious
Superhero
Superhero
Posts: 1932
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:07 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY, The Arm Pit of Hell.

Re: J-Mart: HAPPY NEW YEAR! Lobo vs. Thor Playtest

Post by Sidious » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:10 am

woot! the battles are back.
Great way to start the new year.
still want to see Batgod vs Sabertooth though.
How about Wonder Woman vs. Ms. Marvel.
add in jello and I'll pay to see it.
Live fast. Love hard. Die with your mask on.

User avatar
Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 7994
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:19 pm
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Re: J-Mart: HAPPY NEW YEAR! Lobo vs. Thor Playtest

Post by Thorpacolypse » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:19 am

Gothenem wrote:How about Wonder Woman vs. Ms. Marvel.

Barring that, WW vs. Hellboy
I hadn't really thought about that one. I'd been trying to stick with mainly hero vs. villain type stuff, but that could be fun, Especially since my Diana can't fly, that would change the dynamic. I like it.

I'm slowly plotting out a big Hell on Earth thing involving Hellboy, Dresden and some other mystic aligned heroes where they have to take on either Graz'zt, Lolth or one of my other demon lords who are trying to locate an artifact on our plane to help them take out Asmodeus. I know I'll never finish it but there should be some Hellboy action this year. My goal is to work through about 10-15 tests with maybe a 2-3 post short story to make sure I've got a better grasp on gameplay before working on a long arc sporadically through the year. I would say that I would be consistent, but I'm no BARON or Wordmaker, I just don't have that type of focus. Or writing talent. :wink:

Speaking of Word, I asked for Barnes and Noble cards just so I could get his new book. I'm ordering it later today if all goes well. His first book was good urban fantasy, I highly recommend it.
kenmadragon wrote:Turtle Bros versus Storm Shadow and/or Snake-Eyes? Or maybe Turtles versus combined Hand and Foot nin?
Storm Shadow and ninjas vs. TMNT. Done. 8)
Earth-Two_Kenn wrote:Just as long we don't see the Hand against the Man-Thing.
LOL. I was actually getting ready to work on Man-Thing since I'm going to do another MANUARY run. I don't think I can get through writing something like that. I'd be giggling too much to finish it. :D
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

User avatar
Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 7994
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:19 pm
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

1105

Post by Thorpacolypse » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:48 pm

That’s right folks. It’s time for one of my favorite months of the year, MANUARY!

A few years ago, my godson and his frat brothers were looking for something to pick them during the dulldrums of winter and the return to school. One of them came up with the idea for MANUARY, a celebration for guys to be GUYS. I decided to run with it for J-Mart and a new tradition was born! I tried it in 2012, but we were moving and I was busy getting the old Thorpe’s Deep ready to sell. Last year, I decided to skip it but after a long and taxing holiday season, with no end in sight to winter (global warming my big brown arse) I figured it was time to dust off the idea and drop a few characters that fit the MANUARY theme!

So get ready to enjoy some MAN-themed specials! First, we’re starting off with the MANliest things I could think of! Get ready to cry to some MANLY tears as this new item hits the J-Mart shelves!

Image
Abe, you know I can't smile without you...

BARRY MANILOW
PL: 3 (30 pts) - OPL: 3 ; DPL: 3

ABILITIES: STRENGTH -1, STAMINA -1, AGILITY -1, DEXTERITY 1, FIGHTING 0, INTELLECT 2, AWARENESS 2, PRESENCE 4

SKILLS: Athletics (-1), Deception (+4), Expertise [Performance] 11(+13) [Fascinate], Perception 2 (+4), Persuasion 2 (+6), Stealth (-1)

ADVANTAGES: Benefit (5) (Can use Expertise [Performance] for Fascinate, Wealth 4 [Multi-millionaire]), Fascinate (1) (Expertise [Performance])

POWERS:
NONE

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative -1
Close Attack +0 [Unarmed -1]
Ranged Attack +1

DEFENSES:
Dodge -1 [DC9] Parry +0 [DC10]
Toughness -1, Fortitude +1, Will +3

COMPLICATIONS:
Addiction: Barry's had quite a bit of plastic surgery over the years
Disability: Barry's on his second hip surgery so he doesn't move as well as he used to
Enemy: Critics, Macho dudes
Fame: Whether you love or hate him, pretty much everyone knows Barry Manilow
Motivation: The thrill of performing and getting paid well to do it

Abilities 12 + Skills 9 (18 ranks) + Advantages 6 + Powers 0 + Defenses 3 = 30 / 30

Build Comments:

OK, so he’s not that MANLY outside of the name…but I figured a little ironicalness to start off MANUARY would be fun!

And come on, whether you want to admit it or not, you know more Barry MANilow songs than you think. Mandy, Copa Cabana, I Write the Songs, Ready to Take The Chance Again and of course, the song covered wonderfully by Hellboy and Abe Sapien in Hellboy 2 in the link above, I Can’t Smile Without You. And the Family Guy where the guys start out ripping him, then start admitting that they love him and end up going to his concert is classic.

But did you also know that he got his start writing commercial jingles in the 70’s? He did the “I’m stuck Band-Aid because Band-Aid’s stuck on me” and the State Farm Insurance “Like a Good Neighbor, State Farm is There” jingle that both companies are STILL using. And he gets cash every time they get played. He’s a genius!

Obviously, Barry doesn’t really fit in a superhero setting other than perhaps a supervillain deciding to wreck his show (hmm…that might be fun…) but if you play with haters, perhaps they would enjoy blasting Barry with some heat vision or something.

Here’s more info on him, in case you’re interesting, which I doubt. :wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Manilow
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 13293
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Riding the range

Re: J-Mart: MANUARY! Barry MANilow

Post by Horsenhero » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:11 am

Does this mean we're going to get a build for Marilyn MANson also? How about the band BachMAN Turner Overweight...OverDRIVE! I mean Overdrive. How about shirley MANson, the lead singer of the band Garbage?

MANuary could be positively musical. :lol:

Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 26078
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:53 pm
Contact:

Re: J-Mart: MANUARY! Barry MANilow

Post by Crinos » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:12 am

Sounds like we need some appropriate music.

Emerald Flame
Paragon
Paragon
Posts: 3035
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:28 am
Location: In geosynchronus orbit above OA
Contact:

Re: J-Mart: MANUARY! Barry MANilow

Post by Emerald Flame » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:39 pm

I will go out on a limb here and defend Barry. Think about it.. He should probably be considered the friend of all men!!.. Think about it... His music probably got more men "playtime" than almost anybody else. :shock:

I vote that Barry should remain... But as a cavat to this... Chuck Norris should be next.
Emerald Flame's 3e Builds
Emerald Flame's 2e Misc. Builds

The ultimate measure of a person is not where they stand in moments of comfort, but where they stand at times of challenge and controversy. -Martin Luther King, Jr.-

Narsil
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 956
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:04 am
Location: The United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: J-Mart: MANUARY! Barry MANilow

Post by Narsil » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:04 pm

Emerald Flame wrote:I will go out on a limb here and defend Barry. Think about it.. He should probably be considered the friend of all men!!.. Think about it... His music probably got more men "playtime" than almost anybody else. :shock:

I vote that Barry should remain... But as a cavat to this... Chuck Norris should be next.
Barry Manilow is a semi-decent singer and is recognisably a man. He actively campaigns in support of local charities and helps raise money for those in need. He is therefore deserving of the true label of manliness as an individual, similar to someone like Patrick Stewart.

Chuck Norris on the other hand is a far more complicated figure. On one hand he is a philanthropist in his day-to-day life for the most part, mostly in support of children's charities and the Make A Wish foundation which does mean that he is at least a decent person on one level. However it's kind of mitigated by the fact that he's also at the same time a backwards fundamentalist bigot who thinks gay marriage and homosexuality are evil and actively supported the passing of Proposition 8 in California. He actively opposed the idea of public schools honouring the Day of Silence, an event held in support of LGBT rights in schools across the United States on top of that. I must voice my opposition to including someone who denies rationality, and the basic rights of his fellow human beings, in the list of Real Men.

The only reason he gets any real press on 'manliness' is the stupid-as-all-hell Chuck Norris facts meme that has become the single most annoying thing on the internet.

Not the least of which is that they weren't even his bloody facts to begin with. It was actually originally a meme about Vin Diesel, and then about Mr. T, both of which are people who I'd say are far more interesting as individuals than Chuck Norris. And have entertained me far more than anything Chuck Norris has ever done, given Norris' complete lack of charisma of any kind when it comes to his acting.
Narsil 2e
Narsil 3e

'Oil, an emergency? About time the people who run this planet of yours realize that to be dependent upon a mineral slime just doesn't make sense.'
-The Fourth Doctor, Terror of the Zygons

User avatar
Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 7994
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:19 pm
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

1106

Post by Thorpacolypse » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:57 pm

Ah, nothing like interesting debate on MANUARY. What is the essence of man? This is the question that we will be pondering throughout the month...

I know one thing: I've just scratched my ass in public and burped the alphabet. THAT gets makes me feel MANLY enough to drop another new build for MANUARY! And there should be no debate about whether this new item fits the bill!

Image
Excelsior!

STAN "THE MAN" LEE
PL: 2 (28 pts) - OPL: 2 ; DPL: 2

ABILITIES: STRENGTH -2, STAMINA -2, AGILITY -1, DEXTERITY 0, FIGHTING -1, INTELLECT 2, AWARENESS 2, PRESENCE 5

SKILLS: Athletics (-2), Deception 3 (+8), Expertise [Comic Books] 9 (+11), Expertise [Self-Promotion] 10 (+12), Insight 6 (+8), Intimidation (+5), Perception (+2), Persuasion 2 (+7), Stealth (-1)

ADVANTAGES: Benefit (4) (Status 2 – He’s Stan Freakin’ Lee, Wealth 2 [Independently Wealthy])

POWERS:
NONE

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative -1
Close Attack -1 [Unarmed -2]
Ranged Attack +0

DEFENSES:
Dodge -1 [DC9] Parry -1 [DC9]
Toughness -2), Fortitude -1, Will +4

COMPLICATIONS:
Addiction: The Spotlight
Disability: Stan's in his 90's now. He's a spry guy, but you have to be careful
Ego: Stan loves him some Stan
Enemy: He's made several in the comic industry
Fame: Even people outside of the comic fanboy world know Stan Lee from his cameos in the Marvel films, his guest spot on The Big Bang Theory and show, Superhumans, amongst other things
Motivation: Self-promotion, promotion of the comic book world, especiall Marvel and getting PAID
Reputation: Stan's side show barker style and some underhand things he did earlier on have made some people leery or working him and for some, have taken some of the luster off his star

Abilities 6 + Skills 15 (30 ranks) + Advantages 4 + Powers 0 + Defenses 3 = 28 / 28

Build Comments: What can you say about Stan Lee that hasn’t already been said? The MAN is the icon of the comics industry. A lot of comic fans will say it’s Jack Kirby, but when I define icon, to me, that’s someone that transcends their profession/medium and has done it for a long time. As an example, Miley Cyrus and Lady Gaga are not icons to me. Madonna is. She did all that outrageous crap before they were born and has remained popular for 30 years. And the simplest test to me is whether someone outside of the fans of the medium know who they are. My wife was the one that told me it was Stan’ birthday at the end of December and she knows nothing about comics. But she knows Stan Lee.

Granted, he’s done some less than noble things in his dealing with other people in the industry over the years and he’s certainly never been one to turn down a chance to make a buck, but without Stan’s constant promotion and push to bring comics into the mainstream, we’d all be on a D&D board because there wouldn’t BE an MnM.

I’m not posting a background for Stan, there’s too much. I’ll just link you all to Wikipedia and call it good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Lee
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 8711
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:12 am

Re: J-Mart: MANUARY! Barry MANilow, Stan THE MAN Lee

Post by Jabroniville » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:10 pm

Heh- the Barry Manilow build, and talking about people that can be disliked but are actually talented, always reminds me of this Achewood strip, where they realize that Boy George is amazing: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03272008

Regarding Chuck Norris, I found the Chuck Facts funny because it was on SUCH a forgotten has-been. Walker, Texas Ranger was an AWFUL show, and he was somehow worse than most other Martial Artist Actors. Thus, the Facts were a great source of irony. Conan O'Brien probably did wonders for the guy's fame by having a "Walker, Texas Ranger Lever" on his show, where he would turn the lever and play a completely random scene from the show, entirely out of context, which would be invariably hilarious. The fact that Chuck turned his brief spot in the limelight (about three years after the Chuck Facts stopped being amusing, naturally) to hate on the gays is one of those weird, fascinating things about life.

Someone at a Comic Con talking to Bob Layton had a funny quote about Stan- he says he was in line for an autograph, and said "Stan, you're the best !" Stan just looked up, smiled and said "I agree!" Layton was like "yeah, if you were hoping for a self-effacing guy, you were not gonna get it with him".

User avatar
Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 7994
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:19 pm
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Re: J-Mart: MANUARY! Barry MANilow, Stan THE MAN Lee

Post by Thorpacolypse » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:44 am

Jabroniville wrote:Regarding Chuck Norris, I found the Chuck Facts funny because it was on SUCH a forgotten has-been. Walker, Texas Ranger was an AWFUL show, and he was somehow worse than most other Martial Artist Actors. Thus, the Facts were a great source of irony. Conan O'Brien probably did wonders for the guy's fame by having a "Walker, Texas Ranger Lever" on his show, where he would turn the lever and play a completely random scene from the show, entirely out of context, which would be invariably hilarious. The fact that Chuck turned his brief spot in the limelight (about three years after the Chuck Facts stopped being amusing, naturally) to hate on the gays is one of those weird, fascinating things about life.
As usual, nail on the head, Jab. Most of Chuck's work has been pretty bad and playing off that faux awesomeness I find endlessly humorous. I don't agree with his views on homosexuality AT ALL, but I have people that I have been good friends with for 20+ years that feel the same way and we just agree to disagree. And in many other ways, they are wonderful people. The way I see it, is if I judge them for that one aspect of their life that I don't agree with, then I am no better than the people who I disagree with that judge others for one aspect of their lives. It's all a big Catch-23 (ode to Ricky :wink:).

Now vegans and vegetarians, THOSE are the people I have issues with!!!! Carnivores represent!!!!

(Kidding, my vegan and vegetarian friends. 8))
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

Locked