The Combined DCU-Marvel Universe thread

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Re: The Combined DCU-Marvel Universe thread

Post by Voltron64 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:36 pm

Charles Phipps wrote: (Oh and whoever thought Namor wouldn't cheat is crazy. Namor doesn't HAVE rules about fighting)
An adherent to the Thunderdome I see...
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:38 pm

Voltron64 wrote:An adherent to the Thunderdome I see...
Namor's rules of war.

"Win."

Oddly, I'd love to see these fights since I imagine they'd be quite spectacular.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:43 pm

Unless Libra or other Island resident has dibs, I may do Constantine after Voltron's picks.

Oh and Marvel by Night is now linked from the main thread so it's considered "supplemental" material.

hypervirtue
Zealot
Zealot

Post by hypervirtue » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:45 pm

I do hope my Punisher/Spectre was okay.

I'm not sure who I want to do next... Suggestions?
One can lift a rock with pure power, but a pure heart can move mountains.

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EnigmaticOne » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:49 pm

Although, I may want to do Amanda Waller more. Yes, Amanda Waller. :D
Impeach the peach!

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:51 pm

hypervirtue wrote:I do hope my Punisher/Spectre was okay.

I'm not sure who I want to do next... Suggestions?
It was enjoyable little story and fits both characters pretty well. It also was doubly funny because of Castle's brief tenure as an assassin for God.

I'd have put Castle back as the Punisher in the end but part of the fun of these stories is how they diverge.

So, yeah, after two great articles you don't have to worry and you should just post whatever you want. If there's a Gatekeeper, you've impressed him.

8)

Phrozen
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Phrozen » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:18 pm

The Sorcerer Supreme & Dr. Fate

At first glance it would seem that the one that holds the title of Dr. Fate and the Sorcerer Supreme would be working partners. Sometimes they do but most of the time they have little to do with each other. Sometimes their goals are opposed. The reasons for this go back to the dawn of civilization.

The title of sorcerer supreme goes to the foremost mystical talent on Earth. This does not mean it goes to the one with the strongest affinity for magic but one who has greatest the sum of mystical might, creativity, charisma, and deception. See, the sorcerer supreme isn't all about keeping the things that shouldn't be to stay that way. They are also envoy to the various mystic courts, moderator to various mystical disputes, prosecutor, defense attorney, and judge, and a whole heaping other bunches of hats. Having the mental chops and flexibility to wear many hats is more important then who can fling the biggest fireball. Even the sorcerer supreme's servants are some of the brightest people on the planet serving as bodyguards, gentleman's gentleman, paralegal, research assistant, medic, and cook. The current sorcerer supreme Dr. Stephen Strange is unique in only having one such servant, the eponymous Wong.

Dr. Fate is the superhero name for the agent of Nabu, an being from the mystical court of Order. Though the current bearers of the mantle of Dr. Fate are on the side of the angels, this has not always been the case. Just as chaos embodies both destruction and change so does order embody both peace and stagnation. After the lord of Order Shazam had to cast out his chosen champion Black Adam with the help of Nabu which wrecked massive destruction across Egypt and Khandaq leading to the first Intermediate period and the loss of life for thousands more, the sorcerer supreme of the time had enough of the Lords of Order's meddling on Earth. Since Shazam was responsible for the brunt of the destruction, he was exiled to the Rock of Eternity for many centuries. Nabu the lesser responsible party was allowed to stay on Earth but bound to a bronze helmet and amulet able to operate on Earth but only through an agent.

Due to this condition and that those who wear Fate's helmet are sometimes not the most mystically inclined Dr. Fate acts more as a hammer then to the sorcerer supreme's scalpel. Dr. Fate also continues to fight the eternal war between the courts of Order and Chaos. When the threat is big enough the two will work in the same direction but mostly they stay out of each others way. There are some exceptions. Kent Nelson was a frequent guest of the Ancient One since he did not fully trust Nabu.

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EnigmaticOne » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:26 pm

Amanda Waller

It's strange in the super-culture of Earth-777. There's clown faced mass murderers, demons and cosmic hell-gods, brave heroes in red, white and blue, the Hulk... and yet ironically the person to probably claim the title of the weird and the wildcard on both sides is an adult, potentially older, definitely overweight and not particularly pretty black woman.

Who has conjones larger than Hank Pym as Giant Man, and something of an uneasily comparable reputation. Everyone in the heroic community tends to be ambivalent towards her, even Nick Fury of SHIELD.
The two have significant respect for each other, but at heart Fury has always been the commando, Waller the intelligence/law enforcement official.
Befittingly, her personal life and history is murky. Batman has pierced together evidence of work in the Department of Justice, and the CIA. Even he is running into enough difficulty managing this. But she's a capable shot, dangerously manipulative and clever and runs black ops just about better than anyone else on the planet.
And he doesn't have the time to try to dig any further.
This, and her position currently as power within the US government and Suicide Squad director can lead others to assume the worst at first glance. Which is unfair. Waller is a very principled woman, in fact.

The big difference, the Avengers, JLA, F4.... people just that are noble and have a measure of her respect - but they see the world as it could be. Amanda sees it as it is. Quite piercingly.

Having many past SS members cycle in, and return for a new term later has exasperated her beyond belief. These are the worst scum, and she sends them out for deniable, dangerous, and sometimes missions where they are meant to die.

Such pragmatism may seem repugnant, but so be it. Amanda has gone after threats the government has not cleared her to engage rather than let a true evil rear. Latveria, Zandia, she will take them all.

Better an ugly scar that healed than a pretty Bandaid and a festering wound.
Impeach the peach!

hypervirtue
Zealot
Zealot

Post by hypervirtue » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:47 pm

Phrozen wrote:The Sorcerer Supreme & Dr. Fate
Hrm... I don't think I'd go that route with my world.

For one it seems to pay Stephen Strange more lip service than I would otherwise choose to. Don't get me wrong, the Sorcerer Supreme is no slouch but the idea that he alone, seemingly, could corral both Nabu and Shazam is a bit hard to swallow.

If anything I'd put the Sorcerer Supreme on a tier just slightly below the Lords of Order. It just doesn't sit well with me.
One can lift a rock with pure power, but a pure heart can move mountains.

Sidious
Superhero
Superhero

Post by Sidious » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:53 pm

A four way fight of Apocalypse, Dracula, Savage and Romulus would be a thing to see.
Live fast. Love hard. Die with your mask on.

Phrozen
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Phrozen » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:59 pm

hypervirtue wrote:
Phrozen wrote:The Sorcerer Supreme & Dr. Fate
Hrm... I don't think I'd go that route with my world.

For one it seems to pay Stephen Strange more lip service than I would otherwise choose to. Don't get me wrong, the Sorcerer Supreme is no slouch but the idea that he alone, seemingly, could corral both Nabu and Shazam is a bit hard to swallow.

If anything I'd put the Sorcerer Supreme on a tier just slightly below the Lords of Order. It just doesn't sit well with me.
That is what makes the sorcerer supreme more prestigious. Dr. Fate usually goes at it alone. The Sorcerer Supreme has numerous favors and allies to call in to do some of the heavy lifting.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:33 pm

I think that Doctor Fate and Stephen Strange possess roughly equivalent levels of mystical mojo.

However, Doctor Fate is a god and Stephen Strange's magic is designed around corralling gods. Stephen Strange can fight Shuma-Gorath, a being who literally devours universes, relatively easily. However, Baron Mordo has given him an extreme run for his money and Stephen Strange almost died several times fighting a 70-year old Cardinal with a magic dagger.

So Stephen could shut down Nabu pretty easily but might have a problem with Kent or Inza Nelson.

In this universe, I wouldn't be surprised if Shazam WAS Sorcerer Supreme during Ancient Egypt and gave up the title like Stephen did after the whole Black Adam fiasco.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:40 pm

Can't really blame Shazam...

On another note, I also think Jean Grey should be profiled too in the in the near-future.
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Phrozen
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Phrozen » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:40 pm

It helps that gods are rather hidebound and unchanging while people can throw the unexpected at you.

Still, I see Dr. Fate as the one who can throw the bigger fireball while the sorcerer supreme is the one who threw a fireball at you but it was just a distraction while he sealed off your magic bauble of choice.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:15 pm

Nice profile on Waller, EO.

I always wondered how she fit into all this craziness.

She and Henry Gyrich must hate each other.