The Combined DCU-Marvel Universe thread

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Re: The Combined DCU-Marvel Universe thread

Post by Voltron64 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:08 pm

Phrozen wrote:Just how secret is Dionyssus' secret stash is anyway considering he is the god of intoxication.....
It's the stash that makes him go from happy laidback drunk to angry, wrath-filled drunk.
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Phrozen
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Phrozen » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:10 pm

Yeah, I don't think it was as much as breaking into Dionyssus' secret stash as much as trying to kidnap him and make him an Aesir.

I mean if it worked for Hogun.....

Also, when Dionyssus' turned those sailors into dolphins he was sober at the time.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:21 pm

Phrozen wrote:Yeah, I don't think it was as much as breaking into Dionyssus' secret stash as much as trying to kidnap him and make him an Aesir.

I mean if it worked for Hogun.....
Wonder Woman: I just don't understand what went wrong. Surely, we are all sisters in peace and contemplation.

:mrgreen:

Anyway, the epic brewmaster contest between Odin and Dionyssus over which is better--honey or the grape--was inclusive.

But DAMN was it tasty.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:32 pm

Special thanks to Libra for inspiring this part.

John Constantine part 2

Powers and Abilities: John Constantine is capable of summoning demons, angels, elementals, and pagan deities. He's bargained himself an eclectic collection of names and his circles are always perfect. John can't command any of these individuals and must make bargains but he's well aware that divine beings rarely have any sense of humility. As a result, all of them think THEY are the guy who has his number and are easily lead around.

He is also capable of curses, hexes, protection spells (lots of those), and even crafting a golem. None of his rituals are useful in combat, however, and most require hours of preparation. John Constantine is also a "dirty magician" and usually makes use of regular equipment to cast all of his spells when he can't acquire more esoteric equipment.

The Constantine bloodline is, furthermore, cursed. Once a generation, a member will be afflicted with a "magical weirdness magnet" for lack of a better term. This curse provides a limited amount of protection for all of the bad karma and troubles the Constantines get into. However, it rolls off onto their associates rather than disappears entirely.

After all, it is a curse.

Until recently, John was a man in his late fifties in dubious health. After his "death", however, he's returned in a form reminiscent of his early thirties. This has had also resulted in a psychological changes as well, restoring some of his old enthusiasm for life, if he's the same John at all.

Known Associates

John Constantine has had a vertible army of associates over the decades. He prefers to associate with regular humans for the most part and, as a result, they tend to die horribly. Even the angels and demons he's made the acquaintance of don't last very long. There are a few, however, who still remember him.

Also, who possess the power to deal with his kind of problems.

Captain Britain: Captain Britain and John are two individuals who absolutely do not get along. One is a posh British nobleman who represents the patriotic ideal of the country and the other is a ex-punk rocker whose addicted to magic. Strangely, perhaps aware of this symmetry, fate has conspired to team them up against numerous foes great and small. During these encounters, the two eventually learned to respect and treasure the others' point of view--even to the point of calling the other friend.

*pause*

HAHA! Yeah, right.

Epiphany Constantine: John Constantine's wife. A statement which, by its very nature, causes people to look askance. The alchemist daughter of a local crime boss, Epiphany fell in love with John when she was a girl and didn't let their vast age difference get in the way of seducing him. Few of John's long-time associates liked Epiphany but they managed to get married after a series of superhero-like happenstances. Said relationship has recently fallen apart due to John allowing himself to die. Needless to say, she's less than pleased to see him running around again.

Dark Justice League: The only group of superheroes twisted enough to have John Constantine as a member. The Dark Justice League is a black ops which deals with supernatural problems the main league aren't morally or mentally equipped for. John Constantine is not the leader but generally is able to control the turn of their actions--much to their regret. None of them consider John to be their friend and most would be glad to see him fall. Still, he's now able to convince most of them to assist him--much to their regret.

Timothy Hunter: Earth-777's version of Harold Potter from Earth-829. Timothy Hunter is a messianic convergence of supernatural forces that can change all of the world's magical laws on a whim. John Constantine has done his absolute best to convince Timothy NOT to use these powers. This hasn't worked out well, especially after Timothy's make-believe world was destroyed. Still, Timothy has learned to hold back the vast majority of his power and is only employing a fraction of it. Oddly enough, this has kept him from being killed. John's just afraid the moment Timothy DOES use his full potential, it'll be up to him to kill him.

Gemma Masters: The next bearer of the Constantine curse is John's niece. John has a never-ending desire to prevent her from falling into the same traps he has over the years. The results of his efforts have been a miserable failure, up to and including her getting assaulted by his demonic twin. John almost broke the Constantine curse by keeping her out of magic but, unfortunately, Gemma proved not only ready but eager to jump down the rabbit hole. She is currently pursuing many of the same activities her uncle has done, unsure whether she hates him or loves him.

John thinks those emotions are one in the same with all of those who know him intimately.

MI-13: John is not fond of the government Tory, Labor, demon, Thatcherite, Thatcherite demon, Blaire, puppet of the USA, puppet of the USA Blaire demon. It doesn't matter. There's nothing John thinks that the government can't make worse by it's involvement and that goes especially for magic. Unfortunately, the government considers John to be one of their experts and are too uninformed to realize that knocking on his door and grabbing him shouldn't work. So, of course, John HAS to work with them.

Doctor Strange: Stephen Strange considers John Constantine the equivalent of a kid who has wandered into a nuclear power plant and started pushing buttons for the hell of it. He is quite aware John is an addict and this as much his motivation for interfering in "matters well beyond his comprehension" as helping people. John Constantine's response to this spiel is not fit for publication but involves telling the Doctor to do something unimentionable to goats. The fact both individuals can have such a close and intimate friendship with Zatanna boggles the mind.

Which makes it doubly galling he owes John. Constantine was the one who provided Doctor Strange with the "Emancipation Incantation" when said Sorcerer Supreme briefly wanted to leave his post. Indeed, John may have created that ritual. Stephen has offered all manner of repayments but John just prefers to let him stew.

Swamp Thing: One of the few beings in the universe John Constantine can call friend. Alec Holland is a figure who has relied on John numerous times, up to and including discovering that he was a plant elemental as opposed to the late Doctor. Swamp Thing doesn't really care too much about John's reputation and is aware of his friend's...peculiarities. Thus, they're somewhat unsteady allies. Swamp Thing's somewhat questionable sanity after being merged with Alec Holland's soul again have further muddled the issue.

Hehe, mud.

Pete Wisdom: The old phrase, "you can't bull**** a bull******" holds true with Pete Wisdom. John Constantine severely dislikes Pete, not the least bit because of their similarities. Pete, however, has chosen to "sell out" and try to work with the government in maintaining Great Britain's security against things which were never meant to secured against. The fact he's so damn good at it irritates John as he feels he's being upstaged. In truth, Wisdom is a HUGE fan of Johns and is actually a distant relation. This just makes John even MORE irritated with the man.

Zatanna: The love of John's life, according to at least one future. As a result, John has made it his business to keep Zee at arm's length. So far, this strategy has allowed her to avoid the worst of the Constantine curse despite his deep and abiding affection for her. Zatanna, by contrast, considers John something of a habit like smoking. You can drop him for awhile but it takes serious commitment to avoid taking up with him again. His recent return to youth has resulted in a lot of latent feelings coming out and John is debating whether he might be able to dodge the curse and have a real relationship with her.

Which is just asking for trouble.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:49 am

Also fishnet stockings and legs BEAUTIFULLY fit to occupy them! :wink:
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:58 am

...I'll be in my bunk.

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:46 am

I'd rather be in Zatanna Zatara's! :wink:

(With the full permission of that beautiful lady, should she be so kind as to bestow it and NEVER under any other circumstances).

By the way Charles, fine work on John Constantine, please accept my special thanks for your kind compliments. :D
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:51 pm

Well, he's no Aquaman entry but I appreciate it!

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:34 pm

Your work is, indeed, far better than mine (well, possibly a good bit better than mine anyway). :wink:

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:38 pm

Libra wrote:Your work is, indeed, far better than mine (well, possibly a good bit better than mine anyway). :wink:
I'd say you're about even. (Though I do say Libra, your work has quite its share of whimsical embellishment.)

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:40 pm

Yeah, can't wait for your next article/response/comments!

hypervirtue
Zealot
Zealot

Post by hypervirtue » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:13 am

Strange and the Stranger

Nobody knows exactly who, or what, the Phantom Stranger is. There are many theories but if any of them are true nobody seems to know. Not even the Phantom Stranger himself knows his own past, only going so far as to say that he has lived so long that he has forgotten it.

What is known, however, is that Sorcerer Supreme and the Phantom Stranger have been at odds on quite a few occasions. What is also known, as far as can be told, is that nothing can kill the Phantom Stranger. His capabilities magically are unparalleled, eclipsing, easily, the most powerful magic users on Earth by a large margin.

Oddly enough, however, that the Phantom Stranger is usually prohibited, by who or what is not known, from interfering directly. This however has been broken only a few times in the history of the Earth. One such was when the Sorcerer Supreme broke the balance of the world.

Following the event of the battle between Shazam, Nabu, and Black Adam the Sorcerer Supreme decided to become involved. Using his magic he exiled both Shazam and Nabu from the Earth. This removed two of the Lords of Order from the world and tipped magic into Chaos.

The Phantom Stranger was forced to interfere...

The clash between the two was spoken of only in legends, what is known is that in the end that Sorcerer Supreme was stripped of his powers by the Phantom Stranger who, surprisingly, was able to forcibly tear from him the mantle of Sorcerer Supreme. It was then, for a time, that a war waged between the two powers, one that the lineage of the Sorcerer Supremes could not win as their enemy was both immune to the ravages of time and also seemingly survived and recovered from every attempt to destroy, imprison, or depower him.

In the end a peace treaty was forged between the two...

By a pact that was drafted, and is enforced by, the Living Tribunal, the Sorcerer Supremes from that day forward were forbidden to act against the Lords of Order and the Lords of Chaos unless directly threatened. There are, of course, always loopholes but generally unless granted permission from either the Lords of Order, or the Lords of Chaos, the Sorcerer Supremes risk the wrath of The Tribunal and the Phantom Stranger should they ever act in such a reckless manner again.

This has caused a lot of friction between the current Sorcerer Supreme, Steven Strange, and the Phantom Stranger.

Strange regards the Stranger as an enigma, he is most certainly not human, has more magical power than any other being in creation, and yet he rarely utilizes his vast power. Instead the Stranger seems to act as a mystical guide to other heroes, acting as a chess master from the shadows despite certainly being capable of dealing with most threats directly if it exerted its power.

The Stranger, on the other hand, regards Dr. Strange as a necessary being. The Stranger understands that the Sorcerer Supreme of Earth is the protector of the planet from mystical threats from beyond this plane. However he remembers the reckless behavior one in their line engaged in when he acted against the Lords of Order, who, with the Lords of Chaos, balance the magical energies of the universe. Thus he understands how dangerous the Sorcerer Supreme can be.

The Stranger has no problems working with Dr. Strange if he has to... However the two do not trust each other and only would do so as a last resort.
One can lift a rock with pure power, but a pure heart can move mountains.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:40 pm

Personally, I always thought Alan Moore's origin for the Phantom Stranger of him being an angel was the most plausible one and my personal canon.

hypervirtue
Zealot
Zealot

Post by hypervirtue » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:41 pm

Voltron64 wrote:Personally, I always thought Alan Moore's origin for the Phantom Stranger of him being an angel was the most plausible one and my personal canon.
Heh, not saying it is, not saying it isn't. Honestly that is the coolest part of the PS. We *really* don't know.

Is he an Angel?
Is he Judas?
Is he... Something else?

All we do know is that not even the Specter is capable of killing him, and with all of his might was only able to subdue him for a few hours at best.
One can lift a rock with pure power, but a pure heart can move mountains.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:55 pm

Voltron64 wrote:Personally, I always thought Alan Moore's origin for the Phantom Stranger of him being an angel was the most plausible one and my personal canon.
I think that's the best "standard" origin but I ran a heroes campaign in the DCU where my PC eventually became him after meddling with time-travel so much he became unhinged from it.

So there's options.

:mrgreen: