The Combined DCU-Marvel Universe thread

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: The Combined DCU-Marvel Universe thread

Post by Charles Phipps » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:50 pm

Found on TV tropes and reminded me of Voltron's suggestion re: Two Face.
Alternate Character Interpretation: Tradition states that the two halves of his face represent his split personality. Normally, they have the non-scarred side represent Harvey Dent and the scarred side represent Two-Face; they give us scenes where he has a perfectly reasonable dialogue shown only in his non-scarred profile, only to flip out into ultraviolence shot entirely from his scarred side. But some writers claim the opposite is true: the non-scarred side is Two-Face, the monster with a face of an angel. The scarred side represents Harvey Dent, the wounded hero who lies crushed beneath.

Supported in spirit by the non-canon The Dark Knight Returns, in which Harvey has his face restored to full normal- and proceeds to go completely evil; scratching both sides of his coins as if he has been "consumed by his dark side." At least both sides match.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:31 pm

And now for a character transformed by the merger.

Poison Ivy

Why does evil always come so beautifully wrapped?

This is Bruce Wayne's thought about Poison Ivy, a temptress who Batman occasionally wonders might be reformed or hold a rose amongst her thorns. There is enough good in her to hold out hope but her insanity is genuine, every bit as Harvey Dents, and her desire to do good are as deranged in their own way as Ra's Al Ghul. The fact Batman can understand and sympathize even so makes him wonder how far he's allowed himself to come under her spell.

The student of Jason Woodrue, the Floronic Man, few people remember would disagree the student has become the master. Already possessed of the mutant gene, Pamela Lillian Isley was emotionally isolated from her parents as well as society at large. Instead, she chose to spend all of her time personifying her plants and treating them as the friends she'd never have at home.

Poison Ivy's florakinesis (an ability Professor Xavier feels silly classifying but it's far from the weirdest) is not her mutant ability but linked to it. Jason Woodrue's experiments unlocked Poison Ivy's power to accelerate, manipulate, and alter the growth of plants.
She does so by tapping into the "Green" the same way Swamp Thing and Woodrue himself do--much as the Flashes do the Speed Force, possibly as the result of a secondary mutation.
Her primary mutant ability, though, is perhaps the most dangerous. Pamela Isley can, literally, talk to plants. This provides a certain context for her seeming insane protectiveness of them. Professor Xavier is not sure she isn't possessed of schizophrenia in addition to her mutant abilities (and her powers DO upset her mental state much like Magneto) but as far as she's concerned, humans don't really have any special claim to sentience.

This belief structure doomed any attempt to reconcile herself to humanity and she has spent the past decade waging a war of attrition against humanity's encroachment against the environment. Her activism in Gotham City has been joined by her work in other locations across the world like the Savage Land (where she briefly found peace) and rebuilding the devastated regions of Eastern Europe after Ultron's rampage through it.

Both Magneto and Ra's Al Ghul have attempted to use her to further their plans, both finding her more than they bargained for. Doctor Doom attempted to make her his mind-controlled bride to dominate the world's ecology and the High Evolutionary almost destroyed the world when he believed Miss Isley could be used as the basis for a new breed of ecologically friendly humans (before before stopped by Spiderwoman). Charles Xavier, for once, actually had some luck treating a mutant known for their chronic villainy.

Sought out by Bruce Wayne after Pamela Isley desired a release from her "condition", Professor Xavier found a surprising amount in common with the woman. After all, both of them possessed a vast sense of the world's interconnectivity. After "Doctor Bruce Wayne" (a title almost no one remembers--his playboy persona drowning out the fact he's on record as having two a PHD in chemistry as well as business) created an equilibrium with her powers, Professor Xavier helped Pamela Isley connect with humanity while she provided insights into a larger Earth-based view of the world.
With the help of Poison Ivy, Professor Xavier managed to make peaceful contact with the sentient island Krakoa and discovered it was a peaceful being like the Man-Thing--merely confused an uneducated. Poison Ivy almost derailed the whole thing but, surprisingly, it ended up working out well and the being became a permanent part of Professor Xavier's school grounds.
Did this result in a touching story of redemption?

Well, sort of.

Pamela Isley has become less evil over the years. She's still remarkably callous about human life but is no longer quite so pathologically unable to relate to other beings. Indeed, her relationship with others has developed to the point she's actually got friends and attempted to protect Gotham City's children during the events of No Man's Land. Unfortunately, decades of chronic supervillainy have left their mark and she has no objections to financing her semi-reformed life with crime. Worse, she's also added mutant supremacy to her pet causes--albeit an ecologically friendly and more smug version than Magneto's outright bias.
This doesn't prevent Poison Ivey's closest friends, Catwoman and Harley Quinn, from being regular humans.

She simply believes a "higher order" of being will take over from humanity and this gives her peace. Sadly, there just aren't as many plant-based mutants as she'd like.
Poison Ivy has moved to the nebulous "middle of the road" in terms of supervillainy with a willingness to do mercenary work for Black Canary's somewhat ill-conceived "harder and tougher" Birds of Prey (Black Canary having been deeply traumatized by Prometheus' attack on Star City), X-Force (because Cable only cares about the fact Apocalypse's biotech responds to her touch), and Amanda Waller's Suicide Squad (since Pamela couldn't care less about a pardon and the government given the government's treatment of mutants). She's also available to work with Gotham City's kooky criminals, provided it doesn't jeopardize her relationship with her associates too much.

So far, Professor Xavier and Bruce Wayne's (not Batman's) work has held. However, the nature of the Green is alien to regular life and the use of her powers runs the risk of upsetting the balance which helped drive her mad in the first place. Given her abilities continue to grow to the point she might one day be able to control the very Earth itself--both men wonder what they may have unleashed onto the world.

Phrozen
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Phrozen » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:26 pm

Now, I want to see Scarecrow(DC), Scarecrow(Marvel) and Mr. Fear.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:31 pm

Phrozen wrote:Now, I want to see Scarecrow(DC), Scarecrow(Marvel) and Mr. Fear.
I smell team-up!

Also, I want to see Nightmare vs. Dream.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:36 pm

Charles Phipps wrote:
Phrozen wrote:Now, I want to see Scarecrow(DC), Scarecrow(Marvel) and Mr. Fear.
I smell team-up!

Also, I want to see Nightmare vs. Dream.
AKA the darkness that lies within Morpheus' heart. :wink:
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:40 pm

If you were going to combine two characters, they would be the ones to do so.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:43 pm

Charles Phipps wrote:If you were going to combine two characters, they would be the ones to do so.
You know all the real bad parts of Morpheus' personality? Nightmare is what happens when they take a form of their own...

:shock:

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:44 pm

Voltron64 wrote:
Charles Phipps wrote:If you were going to combine two characters, they would be the ones to do so.
You know all the real bad parts of Morpheus' personality? Nightmare is what happens when they take a form of their own...

:shock:
Now I'm imagining Death sighing as Thanos doesn't get she's not that into him.

Oh and what did you think of my PI?

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:45 pm

Works for me.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:55 pm

BTW, here's my idea on what happened to Harley Quinn after Mr. J's death.

While angsting over the Joker's death, Harley eventually began to finally understand that he had never love her and was just a stooge for him. Realizing this, she came to possess the same nihilistic view as Joker and has been reborn as an agent...of chaos.

She's lately been seen with a scar across her right cheek and also been fond of asking this question to her victims...

...why so serious?

:twisted:

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:05 pm

Tough call.

Much like others like the Penguin with redeeming qualities, I see Harley as misguided and a lesser criminal without Mister J's influence.

More Catwoman than Shiva.

:o

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:07 pm

Might I mention that in Earth-777, Mr. Zsasz was killed by The Punisher?

:mrgreen:

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:42 pm

Voltron64 wrote:Might I mention that in Earth-777, Mr. Zsasz was killed by The Punisher?

Mr. Zsasz is like pure evil to begin with but when he created children gladiator fights (well before the Hunger Games) and it made HUGE amounts of money, I think Mephisto began the bidding war for this guys soul.

Though I'm not sure whether it was Zsasz that should be more ashamed of that or Gotham.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:26 pm

Charles Phipps wrote:
Voltron64 wrote:Might I mention that in Earth-777, Mr. Zsasz was killed by The Punisher?

Mr. Zsasz is like pure evil to begin with but when he created children gladiator fights (well before the Hunger Games) and it made HUGE amounts of money, I think Mephisto began the bidding war for this guys soul.

Though I'm not sure whether it was Zsasz that should be more ashamed of that or Gotham.
Anyway, here's how Frank Castle slew Zsasz.

:wink:

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:36 pm

Plus, I maintain that rather be sent back to Arkham after the horrific crap he pulled, Dr. Destiny was sentenced to a horrible cosmic fate by either Death or The Spectre, maybe even Ghost Rider who might've penanced stared him.

I could think of nothing more fitting.

:twisted: