Infinite New Vindicators [2e] (OOC-full)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Shadow13
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Infinite New Vindicators of the Americas [2e] (recruitin

Post by Shadow13 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:46 pm

Horsenhero wrote:That's two very nice builds with some good backstory to build on submitted. I'm anxious to see what else comes along.
Thanks Juan is getting revised some as i crunch numbers and clean up the build i made. I am redoing , simplfying the martial arts styles so it isnt a huge math exam for me switching out styles an such.

I am also looking for a hoodie wearing ninja but still haven't found a pic to do Juan justice for visual.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member13977.png[/img][/url]

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EnigmaticOne » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:41 pm

Oh! Realized I should check... I stumbled across Microwave Control in the UP book, and I wondered if "Microkinesis" would be acceptable for an Esper?
Impeach the peach!

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:10 pm

EnigmaticOne wrote:Oh! Realized I should check... I stumbled across Microwave Control in the UP book, and I wondered if "Microkinesis" would be acceptable for an Esper?
Psychicly manipulating radiowave energy? Why not? The human brain emits radiation and has an intrinsic magnetic field, so I could see it.

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Shock » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:11 pm

OK I'm not close to having a build yet but I've got the background concept ready.

The boy, codenamed Prehistoric (real name still pending), is the son of a pair of American paleontologists. They travel a lot and it's been quite some time since they called America home. He manifested his ability as a result of wanting more attention from his dinosaur hunting parents. The ability comes from his father who is able to adapt the traits of lizards. Due to their frequent travels, they've never been found out and have avoided the persecution that has run rampant in the United States.

Unbeknownst to him, his parents' fossil hunting is actually a cover for their artifact hunting activities. They work for a Nephilim hunting organization that collects lost documents and other artifacts that could be useful in their battle against the abominations. Now that he's of appropriate age, they sent him to the school in the hopes that he will be another source of information.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:39 pm

To use your own child as mole? How fiendish! I like it. Keep in mind, any Nephilim hunting organization isn't going to be sharing any tidbits of really juicy information. The actual geneology of Nephilim isn't public knowledge. This isn't to say such an organization couldn't exist. It's entirely plausible. Enough people know the truth that it's bound to happen.

More importantly, this proves what every teenager suspects...their parents are really Eeeeeviiiillll!!

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Shock » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:43 pm

Yeah, he's completely in the dark. Mostly they hope to gain information by asking lots of questions about his classmates and tracing the roots of any Nephilim that he happens to uncover for them. They don't necessarily have to be evil but they're certainly a little light on the scruples.

I know Mich has introduced at least one Nephilim hunter but I can't remember if he's part of an organization or not.

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EnigmaticOne » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:53 pm

Cooker ( Power Level 8 )

Height/Weight: 5'4/ 159 lbs
Hair/Eyes: Pale Blond/Green
Place of Birth: Jacksonville, Florida (January 13th, 2002)

Physical Description: On the shorter side for a teenager, Francis keeps his pale blond hair cropped quite short as a matter of habit. No facial hair is present, accentuating the image of a scrawnier teen without physical prowess. His average weight but no developed muscle tone doesn't help.

Francis dresses casual, usually on the lighter side of colors and shades since he lives in Florida and its tropical weather.

Biography: Francis Gold had a relatively uneventful childhood growing up in Florida, though his body's slow adjustment to puberty brought in the looming threat of being a target for bullies and social ridicule. Luckily, it did not happen for some time.

Then, it manifest as a pack of other boys on the side of the football field. Two were on the team. All were tougher and stronger. Francis was taking blow by blow, until the anger, restrained by helplessness, erupted... and so did his tormentors' flesh in third-degree burns.

After the authorities got involved and took a look, it became clear that Francis was an Esper, one with a highly developed mental capacity to manipulate microwaves and radiowaves. The fact that he could use it as a weapon concerned the police (regardless of the self-defense in this case), and his parents enough to ensure he was dispatched to a New Vindicators Academy immediately.

Abilities Strength 8 (-1), Dexterity 10 (+0), Constitution 12 (+1), Intelligence 12 (+1), Wisdom 12 (+1), Charisma 12 (+1)

Skills: Bluff 4 (+5), Diplomacy 4 (+5), Gather Information 4 (+5), Knowledge: Popular Culture 5 (+6), Languages 1 (Native: English, Spanish), Notice 6 (+7), Sense Motive 4 (+5), Stealth 4 (+4)

Feats: Attack Specialization 3 (Microwave Powers), Beginner's Luck

Powers
Microkinesis
Living Radio Station: Super-Senses 2 (Acute Radio); Radio Communication 8 (2,000 miles; Area, Selective, Subtle 2)
Microwave Force Field: Protection 9

Microwave Beam: Blast 10

Combat:
Initiative +0
Attack +0
Microwave Beam +6 (DC 25)
Defense 16 (Flat-footed 13)

Saves: Fortitude +8, Reflex +8, Toughness +10, Will +10

[Abilities 6 + Skills 8 + Feats 4 + Powers 55 + Combat 12 + Saves 24 = 120]

Complications
Motivation - Responsibility: Francis disliked his bullies, but he didn't want to harm them with his powers that way. Learning restraint and better use of his powers has become a priority.
Prejudice: As an SPB.
Power Loss: Francis' brain has a highly developed magnetic field far beyond the human norm and interacts with its radiation generated in a complex fashion - one that if somehow interfered with, prevents Francis from accessing his powers. The right use of magnetic, radiation or other appropriate powers can do this.
Last edited by EnigmaticOne on Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Impeach the peach!

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:55 pm

Shock wrote:Yeah, he's completely in the dark. Mostly they hope to gain information by asking lots of questions about his classmates and tracing the roots of any Nephilim that he happens to uncover for them. They don't necessarily have to be evil but they're certainly a little light on the scruples.

I know Mich has introduced at least one Nephilim hunter but I can't remember if he's part of an organization or not.
I'm not arguing with the concept. Actually there could be several different types of Nephilim hunters. A group that treats them like big game. Another that wants to "cure" them of their "evil" (Inquisition style). Yet another that wants to worship them, and so on and so on. All I meant was lower level operatives wouldn't necessarily be privvy to all the important details.

And I believe Absalom is the Nephilim hunter and except for his short-lived alliance with Justice (or was it Siegfried that teamed up with Justice?), he was pretty much a solo act.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:05 pm

Cooker is pretty cool (heh). A pretty basic blaster with plenty of room to grow powerwise. Kind of a psionic cyclops. He definitely fits the mold of a SPB whose powers have recently manifested. Powerful, but limited.

Microwave Control effects are generally divided up between damaging effects and dazzles and nullify effects directed at radio senses/electronics. I could also see developing Radar as a Super-Sense.

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EnigmaticOne » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:08 pm

Horsenhero wrote:Cooker is pretty cool (heh). A pretty basic blaster with plenty of room to grow powerwise. Kind of a psionic cyclops. He definitely fits the mold of a SPB whose powers have recently manifested. Powerful, but limited.

Microwave Control effects are generally divided up between damaging effects and dazzles and nullify effects directed at radio senses/electronics. I could also see developing Radar as a Super-Sense.
Yeah, thinking to add APs to the Microwave Beam, Radar as a Super Sense, and of course, more skills and feats. But since he's trying to learn control, the latter will come as second priority.
Impeach the peach!

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arthur Eld » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:29 pm

Absalom teamed up with Justice. Siegfried is way too cool for that poser.

I think there's at least one group of Nephilim hunters. During the Trials, someone is able to harm Paragon with mithral nunchuku, and later I think there's a scene where he's captured and somebody explains some of what they know about the origins of Nephilim.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:31 pm

Thanks for the extra research AE.

Now for anyone who wishes to know, I added a little section on the school uniforms to the post about the academy.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:15 pm

Height/Weight: 6'11/147 lbs
Hair/Eyes: Black/Brown
Place of Birth: Toronto, Canada (June 15, 2003)

Merle Tremblay's life was uneventful. His parents were well meaning if distant, he lead a relatively sheltered life in private schools. His life was forever changed at the age of fourteen when he was caught in a car accident. When the car filled with smoke he panicked trying to pull himself from where he'd been trapped, and found himself appearing sprawling on the sidewalk.
The event had activated his powers which gave him the ability to open portals and instantly travel the distance between. It also twisted his body, making him nearly seven feet tall, but leaving him with a thin stretched looking build.
Unable to blend in with the public his parents thought it would be wise to move him into New Vindicators Academy of the Americas where he would be able to learn how to use his powers, and avoid most of the cruelty that would be aimed at Neos.

Description:
Merle is unusually tall and skinny, especially for his age.
Standing nearly seven feet tall with an unnaturally thin build which only helps to emphasise both his height and how unusual his appearance really is.
Merle is, strangely, obsessed with his appearance. He insists on wearing immaculate clothes of the latest fashion, with hair styled just right. A failure to manage that leaves him sullen and withdrawn.

Complications:

Family: Merle's family cares for him, but they've never been exceptionally close. His parents were more focused on their careers, leaving Merle to be cared for by nanny's and private schools most of his life. While they're distant his parents still care for him.
His father runs a successful law firm, and is also the source of his teleportation powers. His mother currently runs Blackberry and has been running a surprisingly successful campaign to rebuild the crumbling company into a serious competitor in the mobile market. An unusually tall and thin woman, she is most likely the source of Merle's physical change.
Prejudice: His physical appearance makes him stand out in a crowd and marks him for being a neo.
Pride: Merle's soul claim to fame, or at least his parent's attention, was his intelligence. It has resulted in him being driven to seek the best marks he can, and has resulted in a completive streak with anybody who might take away his status as the smartest kid in the school.
Obsession (Acceptance): Merle is lonely, and desires to be accepted by his family. And by anybody else who might make him feel like one of the group.

Merle Tremblay

Power Level: 8; Power Points Spent: 120/120

STR: +0 (10), DEX: +0 (10), CON: +0 (10), INT: +4 (18), WIS: +0 (10), CHA: +2 (14)

Tough: +1/+5/+8*, Fort: +4, Ref: +8/+11, Will: +7
*(Base/Teleportation defenses/Armour)

Skills: Bluff 4 (+6), Computers 7 (+11), Diplomacy 4 (+8), Gather Information 2 (+4), Knowledge (business) 4 (+8), Knowledge (current events) 2 (+6), Knowledge (popular culture) 1 (+5), Knowledge (technology) 5 (+9), Language 4 (+4), Medicine 1 (+1), Notice 5 (+5), Research 2 (+6), Search 4 (+8), Sense Motive 7 (+7)

Feats: Attack Focus (ranged) 6, Benefit 2 (Wealth), Defensive Roll 4, Dodge Focus 3, Equipment 1, Evasion 2, Luck, Redirect

Powers:
Tall Slender Build (Linked)
. . Excellent Night Vision (Super-Senses 1) (Linked; low-light vision)
. . Tougher than he looks (Protection 1) (Linked; +1 Toughness)
Teleportation Tricks (Linked)
. . Enhanced Trait 6 (Linked; Feats: Attack Focus (ranged) 6)
. . Teleportation Defense (Enhanced Trait 19) (Linked; Traits: Reflex +3 (+11), Defense Bonus +3 (+8), Feats: Defensive Roll 4, Dodge Focus 3, Evasion 2, Redirect)
Teleport 7 (700 ft. as move action, 200 miles as full action; Portal; Change Direction, Change Velocity, Progression (Portal Size))
. . Teleport Away (Move Object 10) (Alternate; Strength: 50, Carry: 4.3 tons / 8.5 tons / 12.8 tons / 25.6 tons; Indirect 3 (any point, any direction))
. . Teleportal Attack (Blast 8) (Alternate; DC 23; Knockback; Indirect 3 (any point, any direction), Variable Descriptor (Narrow group - Things dropped through Portal))
Uniform (Device 1) (Hard to lose)
. . Armored (Protection 3) (+3 Toughness)
. . Insulated Lining (Immunity 2) (environmental condition: Heat, environmental condition: Cold)

Equipment: Cell Phone, Commlink, Flashlight, Laptop Computer

Attack Bonus: +2 (Ranged: +8, Melee: +2, Grapple: +2)

Attacks: Teleportal Attack (Blast 8), +8 (DC 23), Unarmed Attack, +2 (DC 15)

Defense: +5/+8 (Flat-footed: +3), Knockback: -4

Initiative: +0

Languages: English (Good), French (Good), Portuguese (Poor)

Totals: Abilities 12 + Skills 13 (52 ranks) + Feats 4 + Powers 64 + Combat 8 + Saves 19 + Drawbacks 0 = 120
Last edited by Arkrite on Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arthur Eld » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:45 pm

It's just me, but I would maybe suggest making the resistance for Move Object based on a Reflex check. As is, it's a strength check that really strong guys might resist. When part of the fun of a power is that it could be used to temporarily get rid of an otherwise intractable for-like someone with really high Strength and Toughness.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:35 pm

It's kind of too bad Merle's Defensive Roll is part of a power, as opposed to just a regular Feat. If it weren't an enhanced trait, then it would stack with equipment and his uniform could cost a whole lot less, freeing up some PP. Then again, he hasn't spent all his starting power points anyway, so it's not a huge deal.