Adventures Assemble! by kenseido & Ysariel OOC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Adventures Assemble! by kenseido & Ysariel OOC

Post by Ysariel » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:59 am

:arrow: Invite only

:arrow: 2e

:arrow: PL 9, 150pp

:arrow: World of Freedom, original city

:arrow: kenseido and I will take turns to GM alternate episodes

:arrow: kenseido's house rules are in effect
Last edited by Ysariel on Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
My stuff • I GM Emerald City Knights, Adventures Assemble! (with kenseido)

Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Re: Adventures Assemble! OOC (Invite only)

Post by Ysariel » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:01 am

Phoenix Bay has been a symbol of rebirth from the day the first pioneers reached the coast of the Pacific and settled down to build new lives. When Japanese super-powered forces firebombed it in World War II, the U.S. government rebuilt it grander and better than ever before in defiance. The result was one of the West Coast's greatest financial centers and an incubator of high-tech industry. While not quite the size of Freedom City or as awash in capes, the place has drawn its share of the criminal element. Throughout the ages there have been mystery men and masked crimefighters that opposed them and each generation has had its share of crusaders against crime.

But none of them were prepared for the day when an alien fleet appeared in the skies above the city. The invaders were as mysterious as they were silent, wielded science and sorcery alike, accepted no parley and took no prisoners. Most of the capes gave their lives to defend its people in the city's darkest hour. The few surviving heroes launched a desperate suicide attack on the alien mothership, destroying its power core and ending the Invasion. The aliens, who came to be known only as the Armada, were never seen again. Till this day the reasons for the invasion and why only Phoenix Bay was attacked remain a mystery.

One year later the wrecked Mothership down by Lakeside is a tourist trap and a captured starfighter is the city museum's hottest exhibit. Business as usual has returned to the financial towers of the Steel Canyon and high-tech corporations buzz with activity around the Feynman-Yamaguchi Reactor. Across the city, empty hero bases lie darkened and forgotten while gangs battle for dominance in the streets above. The old city centered on Queen's Junction is now the hideout for many a criminal mastermind. Smugglers and drug-runners take root in docks of Westbay. With the old guard wiped out, the city needs a new generation of protectors and again the Phoenix sings its siren song:

Adventures
Assemble!

Starring:

baixiwei as Vagabond
EnigmaticOne as Sunhawk
Gilliam as Nightbird
kenseido as Locust
Kreuzritter as Grotesk
stavaros-the-arcane as Gelert
Ysariel as Amethyst

and kenseido and Ysariel as GMs

Episode 1: Forged in Fire An enemy from the future comes to destroy the heroes before they can do the same to him -- but arrives a step too late.
Last edited by Ysariel on Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EnigmaticOne » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:58 am

Question. I know we have a bio-giant brute, Amethyst the battlesuit, a puppy Blue Lantern... what archetypes are not in use? Because I had to scrap mine and I'm trying to sort out the options.

Edited: I have a new one, carry on.
Impeach the peach!

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by kenseido » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:07 am

My character is a gear head given a super-soldier formula so he could walk. He is a scrapper with a sword. He is also the son of a villain trying to restore his family name.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Ysariel » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:09 am

baixiwei's character was described to me as a technomage Virtual Adept. I have no idea what that is so I am waiting to see it. :D

I dunno what Gilliam is making.

stavaros-the-arcane
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by stavaros-the-arcane » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:01 am

As mentioned by EO my character is this:

His name is Gelert, and he is Blue Lantern dog.

Full sheet coming later.
Last edited by stavaros-the-arcane on Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Kreuzritter » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:13 am

Grotesk
goriLLA蛇L!

PL: 9 (150)

abilities (24)
STR 34/14 DEX 16 CON 30/20 INT 10 WIS 14 CHA 10

Combat (24)
+6 init, +6/4/8/6 ATK, +6/8 DEF (+2 dodge, -2 size, +3 flat-footed)
+2/12 DMG (unarmed/giant)

saves (12)
TOU +12/5 FORT +12/7 REF +6/8 WILL +7

Skills (8/32)
intimidate +10
notice +8
search +6
languages (english, Lor, Armada native)
sense motive +6

feats (11)
all-out attack, atk spec: unarmed, dodge 2, fearsome presence, improved grab, improved grapple, improved initiative, move-by action, takedown attack 2, uncanny dodge

Powers (70)
Alternate form: bio-mecha +14 (70)
- Growth +10 (extra: Continuous +1, drawback: full size) [39]
- Immunity +9 (life support) [9]
- impervious TOU +12 [12]
- protection +2 [2]
- Superstrength +2 [4]
- Speed +4 [4]

complications
out of towner - in his normal form, Grotesk is an albino with pointed ears and large, unnaturally bright cat-like eyes. in his war form, he's a 24 foot tall skinless biomechanical giant with a demonic skull-grin and incapable of coherent speech
ET Go Home!: there are many in Pheonix City who do not like aliens, Grotesk included, even without his past as a rampaging monster
forgotten past: Grotesk has only fragments of his memories from before the Pod, and he'd like to get the rest back
I can be more: Grotesk is motivated by the memory of Phoenix Bay's fallen heroes, in particular Psi-renity

costs
abilities 24 + combat 24 + saves 12 + skills 8/32 + feats 11 + powers 70 = 150 pts

:arrow: To much of Phoenix Bay, Grotesk was nothing more than a monster, a skinless giant that appeared without warning one summer night, and whose only goal was wanton, mindless destruction, existing only as a menace to heroes, or a destructive weapons by villains clever enough to manipulate him. However, Psi-Renity, a heroine known for her telepathy and pacifism, saw more to Grotesk, the traces of humanity locked within the beast, battered and fragmented, and made strides to try and restore Grotesk's sanity in what would surely be a long but rewarding process...

If not for The Armada.

as terrible as their invasion was, the arrival of The Armada was just the jolt Grotesk's mind needed, and his memory started to return, however blurred and fragmented they were, like a handful of puzzle pieces, but he knew the Armada, somehow, and that he hated them. When Psi-Renity was cruelly gunned down on live TV, Grotesk snapped, smashed his way out of the holding facility, and went to war upon the armada ground forces, before their weapons proved too much even for him, and he collapsed unconscious before the final suicide run. Many thought him dead, as his body began to combust and dissolve, overlooking how in the resultant mess of unpleasant biochemical muck, there was a half-naked albino lying in the street.

It's been a year since. Grotesk was found, identified, and treated, quickly demonstrating not only his sanity, but the capacity to earn a GED and to control his monstrous alter ego. having proven he can be better, Grotesk has chosen to become more, and to defend the people of Phoenix Bay from danger as Psi-Renity and other fallen heroes protected it from him.
Last edited by Kreuzritter on Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kreuz Control Promotions: over 2800 builds served, and counting...
Crinoverse: Contributions

Gilliam
Superhero
Superhero

Post by Gilliam » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:27 am

Still thinking about my build :D

Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Ysariel » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:30 am

Stavaros, cute. I am waiting to see how this one turns out. :D

The Lantern Corps doesn't exist in this universe though. Maybe you can call it a fragment of Star Knight armor or make up a similar organization.

Kreuz, great character! I foresee many plot points in your future. :D

Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Kreuzritter » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:33 am

oh I've got a few more, since Eo's guy's origin is tied to Grotesk's first appearance in the Bay
Kreuz Control Promotions: over 2800 builds served, and counting...
Crinoverse: Contributions

Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Ysariel » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:36 am

Excellent. :D
Gilliam wrote:Still thinking about my build :D
Psychic and speedster are untouched. :)

Maybe a more traditional Mystic, if you and baixiwei can work out how to share that niche.

A martial artist maybe?

A different energy controller?

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EnigmaticOne » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:45 am

Sunhawk (Power Level 9)

Height/Weight: 5'10
Hair/Eyes: Black/Brown

Biography:

Morgan Sterns was a professional musician (specializing in the violin, but could play any strings), who honestly never felt the best people person. On a solitude jaunt into a local woods, he was startled by a great explosion. Searching it out, he found the wreckage of a crashed alien ship.

Curious enough to dare searching through the remains, Morgan prodded a control, maybe, then a solid pod he had noticed before shot open and Morgan toppled over when the burst of steam heralded a skinless giant creature stomping out.

In scrambling away - he ran into contact with some dense silvery fluid, engulfing Morgan. It took a minute or so after it suddenly receded to calm down and perceive the balls of fire floating above the wreckage at his very moving gesture.

Discovering in the meantime after adjustment that the creature he had released (later dubbed Grotesk), was now rampaging, Morgan felt the responsibility to use these sudden new powers to rectify his mistake.

The silver fluid also responded to his focus enough to shape a costume, donned and removed with protean swiftness. In the time before the Armada, Sunhawk would clash with Grotesk repeatedly. He was out of town when the Armada attacked, and Sunhawk returned, having to face cleaning up the wreckage and help the city recover.

And awkwardly, working with his former foe, Grotesk...

Abilities Strength 10 (+0), Dexterity 10 (+0), Constitution 10 (+0), Intelligence 12 (+1), Wisdom 12 (+1), Charisma 12 (+1)

Skills: Bluff 7 (+8), Diplomacy 7 (+8), Gather Information 7 (+8), Knowledge: Current Events 8 (+9), Notice 8 (+9), Perform: String Instruments 12 (+13), Search 7 (+8), Sense Motive 8 (+9), Stealth 8 (+8)

Feats: Assessment, Luck 3, Interpose, Move by Action, Precise Shot, Quick Change, Uncanny Dodge

Powers
[All have the Descriptors: Alien, Psychic, Fire]

Fire Shields: Protection 12
Fire Flight: Flight 7 [1000 MPH]
Fire Immunity: Immunity 10 (Fire/Heat Effects)

Flame Blast: Blast 10 (Affects Insubstantial 2)
- Alt: Melting Heat: Ranged Drain Toughness 10 (Affects Objects Only +0)
- Alt: Fireflash: Visual Dazzle 10

Combat:
Initiative +0
Attack +8
Defense 16 (Flat-footed 13)

Saves: Fortitude +10, Reflex +10, Toughness +12, Will +10

[Abilities 6 + Skills 18 + Feats 9 + Powers 60 + Combat 28 + Saves 29 = 150]

Complications
Motivation - Responsibility: First it was stopping Grotesk, then it just... snowballed.
Secret Identity: Morgan Sterns, musician.
Prejudice: Sunhawk's powers having originated from the contents of the ship that housed Grotesk, has drawn some negative attention from thosewhom are suspicious of alien-related individuals, especially post-Armada.
Last edited by EnigmaticOne on Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:24 am, edited 5 times in total.
Impeach the peach!

stavaros-the-arcane
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by stavaros-the-arcane » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:27 pm

Ysariel wrote:Stavaros, cute. I am waiting to see how this one turns out. :D

The Lantern Corps doesn't exist in this universe though. Maybe you can call it a fragment of Star Knight armor or make up a similar organization.

Kreuz, great character! I foresee many plot points in your future. :D
Frankly one of the great thing about my character being a dog is while at human level intelligence he's still a dog. So I can get away with him not asking too many questions about the "magic thingy that lets me do cool stuff and make people happy."

But yes it doesn't have to be an actual blue lantern ring. I'm still figuring out the Ring's origin but I have some Ideas for the Dog who is wearing it. Heck I might not give it any explanation beyond the ring turning up and going "Gelert the Dog, you are a beacon of hope in Dark times. You have the potential for great things. You have been chosen."

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by kenseido » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:57 pm

Locust (Liam Taggart)
ST 10/20 (+5), DEX 10/20 (+5), CON 10/20 (+5), INT 18 (+4), WIS 14 (+2), CHA 12 (+1)

Skills:
Bluff 6 (+7), Cr (Mechanical) 12 (+16), Disable Device 6 (+10), Drive 8 (+13), Intimidate 6 (+7),
Kn (Physical Sciences) 4 (+10), Kn (Technology) 6 (+12), Notice 4 (+6), Pilot 4 (+9), Sense Motive 4 (+6)

Feats:
All Out Attack, Attack Focus (Melee) 2, Attractive, Dodge Focus 2, Equipment 12, Improved Block,
Improvised Tools, Luck 2, Power Attack

Powers:
Enhancement Formula 7 (35pp)
-Enhanced Abilities (STR 10, DEX 10, CON 10)
-Immunity (Disease, Poison; F: Limited)
-Regeneration (Staggered/Disabled 1 hr; PF: Diehard)

Device 3 (Armored Suit; Hard to Lose) (12pp)
-Feature 1 (Remote Control for Vehicles)
-Immunity 2 (Suffocation)
-Protection 4 (E: Impervious)
-Strike 2 (PF: Mighty)
-Super-senses 1 (IR Vision)

Device 3 (Vibro-Sword; Easy to Lose) (9pp)
-Strike 4 (PF: Improved Crit, Mighty; Linked Drain TOU 9 [Affects Objects, Instant Recovery])

Equipment:
Utility Belt (30ep)
-Bolos: Snare 4 (1ep)
-Cutting Torch: Corrosion 1 (1ep)
-Explosive Disc: Blast 5 (explosion) (1ep)
-Flash Bang Grenade: Dazzle 4 (audio & visual, area burst) (16ep)
-Smoke Pellet: Obscure 2 (independent) (1ep)
-Taser: Stun 5 (ranged) (1ep)
-Throwing Discs: Blast 2 (1ep)
Binoculars, Commlink, Digital Audio Recorder, Handcuffs, Lockpick Gun, Mini-Tracer,
Multi-tool, Video Camera (8ep)

Vehicles (20ep)
Hoverboard: STR 20, SPD 5 (air), Defense 10, TOU 10, Size: Medium (19ep)
-Features: Remote Control, Smokescreen
Motorcycle: STR 25, SPD 6, DEF 10, TOU 10, Size Medium (1ep)
-Features: Alarm, Hidden Compartments, Navigation, Remote Control

Hidden Lair (10ep)
Size: Medium, TOU 10; Features: Communications, Concealed, Garage, Gym, Living Space,
Power System, Security System, Workshop

Combat:
Attack +7, Melee +9
Damage: Unarmed +5/+7, Vibro-Sword +9
Defense +9 (+4 flat-footed), Initiative +5

Saves:
Toughness +5/+9, Fortitude +9, Reflex +9, Will +8

Abilities 14 + Skills 15 + Feats 23 + Powers 56 + Combat 28 + Saves 14 = 150

Complications:
Reputation: Locust has a long reputation as a villain, and even though Liam's identity in the costume is known, he is still treated often like a villain, either being his father in disguise or just the poison apple not falling far from the tree.
Relationship: After his recovery, Liam was approached by Napalm, the daughter of an associate of his father's. She agreed to train him, thinking he wanted to take up his father's old life - not redeem it. They parted as enemies, but she still has hopes of turning him full on villain.
Motivation- Redemption: Finding out that his father's whole villain life was a result of trying to cure Liam as sent the young man on a hard quest to redeem everything his father's name stood for - starting with making the Locust known as a hero.

Background:
The Locust terrorized the city of Phoenix Bay for many years. This insane villain with superhuman strength, speed, and stamina on top of a deadly arsenal of weapons proved to be on of the city's more dangerous foes.
Liam had a rough child. His mother died in childbirth and he was born with congenital muscular dystrophy which confined him to a wheelchair before he was eight. Learning that his father was the Locust was bad enough, but being constantly kidnapped by the insane villain made his life a living hell.
On his eighteenth birthday, two years past the age his doctors thought he would live to, his father came to him. In a moment off sanity, he explained that he had finally perfected the formula that would cure Liam of his affliction. It was over the next hours while he prepared to treat Liam that he explained how he had been developing a super-soldier formula for the government but in reality it was meant to cure his son. The government found out and pulled the plug, so he sunk everything he had into it. The Board of Directors of his corporation removed him, and his father was forced to run the first trials on himself.
The serum caused his insanity; he became obsessed with curing Liam. He stole what he needed to continue his work, and after years of failure, he finally had a formula that would cure Liam. Liam was in shock to find out that his father's insanity and rapid decent was in fact all to cure Liam. Shortly after he administered the formula, the aliens attacked. As they started to get closer to the makeshift lab, Liam's father made on final sacrifice for his son - he went out and fought off the alien hordes to give his long time assistant time to get Liam to safety.
When Liam finally awoke, he was left with a note from his father's assistant. It said he knew deep down Liam's father was a good man. He hoped Liam was also a good man and wouldn't squander the life his father had sacrificed so much to give him.
Having no assets and even fewer friends, Liam was somehow able to secure some of his Dad's papers, which allowed him to find one of Locust's old lairs. There he encountered Napalm, the daughter of one of Locust's partners. Liam told her the story and how he wanted to pay his father back for everything he did. Thinking he meant revenge against those who opposed Locust, and not redemption, she agreed to train him. For many months, she trained him vigorously and he became quite skilled in all forms of combat. It was only on their first mission that their different goals became apparent. They fought and Napalm bested her student. She let him go, convinced he would never be accepted and would eventually be forced to join her in a life of crime.
As Locust, Liam is trying to redeem his father's name. He knows his father hurt a lot of people so he tends not to get angry or defensive when people say bad things about him (or his father). They just don't know the whole story. He knows words alone won't sway them; so he will let his actions do the talking. When he isn't trying to be a hero, he is usually working on his motorcycle or at his part-time job a Vinnie's Garage.
Last edited by kenseido on Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by kenseido » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:00 pm

So two heroes with alien origin - and thus untrusted, and the son of a villain.

At this rate, the team face will be the dog.