Adventures Assemble! by kenseido & Ysariel OOC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
stavaros-the-arcane
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: Adventures Assemble! by kenseido & Ysariel OOC

Post by stavaros-the-arcane » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:36 am

Okay here comes Blue Lantern Puppy! I'll edit in backstory and complications soon

Gelert, the Hound of Hope
Themesong: The Littlest Hobo Intro

PL9 150pp

Abilities (30)
STR 8 [12-4] (-1) DEX 18 (+4) WIS 16 (+3) CON 14 (+2) INT 12 (+1) CHA 18 (+4)

Combat (14)
+4 init, +7/3 (+1 size) ATK, +6 DEF (+1 size, +3 flat-footed)
-1/+11/8/9/11 DMG (unarmed/blast/shape/cone/strike) +8 Fort (stun)

saves (11)
TOU +12/2 FORT +6 REF +8 WILL +6

skills (13/52)
Notice 6 (+9), Survival 2 (+5), Swim 5 (+4), Diplomacy 10 (+14) , Bluff 4 (+8) , Intimidate 4 (+8) , Search 8 (+9) , Profession: Therapy Dog 2 (+5), Sense Motive 7 (+10) , Stealth 4 (+8)

Feats (8)
Attack specialization 2 (power ring), All-out-attack, Precise shot, Evasion, uncanny dodge, Inspire, Teamwork

Powers (74)
Comprehend 2 (animals) (4)
Shrinking 4 (feat: innate, extras: continuous +1, nomal toughness +flaw: permanent -1) (9)
Super-Senses 3 (scent, track, ultra-hearing, accurate hearing) (5)
(Device) Blue Ring of Hope +14 (feat: Restricted) (56)
- Immunity (Life Support) [9]
- Feature +1 (Quick Change to Costume and back) [1]
- Flight +6 [12]
- comprehend languages 3 [6]
- Protection +10
- Array: (31)
= Blast +8 (extra: shapable area +1) [24]
= Blast 9 [Area: Line, Range Touch, Feat: Progression 2 (up)/2 (down)] [22]
= Blast 11 [22]
= create "Force Constructs" +8 (extra: movable) [24]
= Strike 11 [Penetrating] [22]
= Telekinesis 12 [24]
= healing +8 [Extra: ranged +1] [24]
= Stun +8 [extra: ranged +1] [24]

=============================
Complications:

Man's Best Friend: All of Gelert's act of heroism stem from the inbred canine love of humans. Not helping humans in whatever way he can is an idea that he does not understand, even with his boosted levels of intelligence.

Every Little Dog ought to have a human
: While Gelert has a list of 'friend-humans' longer than he can count, there are two he holds above all others; His trainer Tabitha Sierra, and her Daughter (his bestest best friend forever) Dorothy Sierra.

Ruff language: Gelert's ability to speak human languages is the result of his power ring which is essentially translating his thoughts and animal means of communication into human speech. A side effect of this can be erratic pacing of speech, unusual or childish vocabulary, and sudden distractions or shifts of topics. Also should his ring be removed he is no longer able to speak.

Now pay attention this is very important... SQUIRREL!: While gifted with human level intelligence by the forces that granted him his power ring, Gelert is still a dog. As such even as smart and well trained as he is he has a tendency to behave like a dog. This can mean being distracted by a noise or smell, sniffing things or people he encounters, and occasionally going to the bathroom in public places (he is housebroken though, and with his powers he does clean up after himself).

Adorable Alias: As expected of a dog that spends time with a lot of different children of varying ages, Gelert has picked up a long list of nicknames he often ends up called by. These include but are not limited to: Toto, Mr. Fuzzums, Snookums, Old Geller, Lerty Pie, Princess Fluffypants (despite the fact Gelert is male and does not wear pants), Captain Snuggles, Doctor Puppykins, and 'good boy'.

============================
Backstory:

Gelert is a white four year old Corgi mix. Beyond that this little dog is many things... trained from puppyhood, Gelert is a certified therapy dog at the Bernard Clairvaux Medical Centre in Phoenix Bay. He has a gentle temperament and a stellar history of service and is beloved by patients and staff alike, especially in the children's ward.

His trainer, Mrs. Tabitha Sierra , has been Gelert's long time friend and caretaker, raising him and helping him become the caring animal that he is today. Growing up under the care of the Sierra Household meant that Gelert met his best friend... Dorothy Sierra, Tabitha's young daughter. While Gelert has been friends to many children, Dorothy has always had a special place in his little doggy heart. Which made the little dog take his duties as hospital therapy dog all the more seriously when Dorothy was hospitalized with a rare disease which often leaves here weak and bedridden.

This was Gelert's life before the Armada invasion... And it was during that more dire of times that the little Dog's life changed dramatically.

No part of the city was spared from the ravages of the Armada and the Medical Centre was no different. Patients too risky to evacuate were moved to more secure lower levels of the building, including Dorothy. In such a tense and panicky situation Gelert instinctively knew that he was needed here to help the scared humans.

And that was when the building was hit. Badly. Most of the Building collapsed, leaving those safe on the lower levels trapped beneath the rubble. While there was enough emergency power to ensure all of the machines for the patients were still running, this left patient and staff alike buried with only a few emergency lanterns to break the almost total darkness.

The crushing claustrophobic darkness made keeping calm a struggle, the sense of not knowing when or if they would be rescued slowly building the level of panic. This may have devolved into a tragic catastrophe if not for one thing. One little beacon of hope.

Gelert did what he was trained to do, what he was born to do... gave comfort and hope to those in need. Where ever a child was being consumed by fear, they would find a small head resting on their lap. Where ever a patient wanted to give up into despair they would find a canine tongue licking their hand or face. Where ever a nurse or doctor felt the stress overwhelming them, they would find a happy bark at their feet spurring them on.

And what little time he wasn't doing that, Gelert did one other thing that kept those people holding on. He dug, paws scratching against the dirt that separated them from the outside world. It was a futile and impossible gesture for such a small dog to move that much rubble, but it was enough. The efforts of one little dog kept hope alive in that dark dusty hole, letting each and every person down there know that everything would be alright. And that was when it happened.

It was subtle at first. The shadowy rooms seemed just a little bit brighter, a little bit less scary. Then a little more. Soon there seemed to be an almost visible glow around Gelert as he made his rounds. And soon it was more than that. the faint blue glow followed the little dog everywhere he went growing brighter the more he helped. Until the glow became a full presence that was enough to even give the dedicated dog pause from his duties.

The presence spoke, not with true words but in a way that Gelert fully understood.

"Gelert, you stand as a beacon of hope during the darkest hour, you are a caretaker of those lost in despair, you have the potential for great things. Take our power and our blessing for you are worthy."

The Blue force formed into a ring which fit itself onto Gelert's tail. Power and knowledge filled him as the people he helped looked on in amazement. His service dog vest was replaced with a blue uniform and he turned and said, in a way that his human friends could for the first time understand... "All will be well."
--------
The rescue crews trying desperately to get through the rubble of the hospital to find some survivors of the attack were shocked when a beam of blue light smashed its way through, and chucks of concrete were wrapped in a blue glow and moved aside. They were dumbstruck to see a little white dog wrapped in a blue glow wagging his tail and panting in the newly formed hole in the rubble leading to the hospital shelters.
One of the rescue workers just blurted out what was on everyone's mind "What the heck was that?"
Gelert tilted his head and said simply. "I am a dog."
Last edited by stavaros-the-arcane on Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:31 am, edited 5 times in total.

Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Ysariel » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:57 pm

I like it. :D

Although your base attack is slightly too low. kenseido's house rules require 1/3 of total attack rounded up be made of base attack. So for Attack 8 you will need at least 3 base attack.
My stuff • I GM Emerald City Knights, Adventures Assemble! (with kenseido)

baixiwei
Overlord
Overlord

Post by baixiwei » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:07 pm

1. Headquarters - look, I just want to have a cool mystical HQ so I can say I have it and because my background requires it. I don't expect it to have a huge effect on the game, although it does cost 4 pp so the benefit shouldn't be totally trivial either. 4 pp could buy another 4 APs in my array, as a point of reference.

If you all are worried that these powers are too powerful and think it's necessary to revise their stats then I am fine with whatever you think it should be. To be honest, though, it seems to me not worth the time or effort to go into the nitty gritty of power rank, extras, flaws, etc. I just gave it what seemed to me reasonable defaults following the vague examples in the RAW. As far as I am concerned the ideal would be to just say that I have a scrying pool and a whispering harp and a ward, they will allow me occasionally to be cool in appropriate ways, faced with a substantial obstacle posed by a named villain, they may be helpful in resolving it but won't simply cancel it out, and leave it at that. Either way is fine with me as you both prefer.

2. No conventional attack powers - right, Ken also raised this. I find wizards with the standard blast and snare rather boring. If I absolutely have to attack people directly, I can create a sword in round 1, or before combat, and thenceforth use it as a ranged weapon via move object; use create object to entrap or area damage; grapple via move object; having summoned spirits attack; etc. I hope that action scenes will be designed in such a way that in general, I do NOT absolutely have to attack people directly. I anticipate making myself useful in other ways, such as through tactical uses of illusion and create object. I'd be delighted if there were some action scenes which were not solely focused on trading blows and presented challenges that could be resolved through creative uses of these powers.

3. Magic theme - intended to be traditional European a la Merlin or Gandalf. He should be able to do stuff that you normally think of wizards with starry cloaks and pointy hats as being able to do. Things he probably couldn't do include things with technological descriptors, some powers like mind control that seem more psychic than magic, standard superhero powers such as super speed, super strength, plant control, mimic, elongation, duplication, ...

Let me know if there are any other concerns.
Baixiwei's Character Builds and Conversions

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes.

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by kenseido » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:13 pm

The problem with Merlin, Gandalf, and most "conventional" comic book mages; they fall under the "magic can do anything rule."

Magic can not do anything. That is why there should be a specific style of magic, so we have a feel for the powers. It also defines the types of powers that can be stunted.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

baixiwei
Overlord
Overlord

Post by baixiwei » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:18 pm

Ken, I'm a little confused - are you saying that specifying "like Merlin and Gandalf" is not specific enough to identify a particular magic tradition, or that it is specific enough but refers to a form of magic that you consider too broad to be used in the game?

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by kenseido » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:22 pm

Shadow magic vs Light Magic vs Fae Magic vs Infernal Magic vs High Magic vs Black Magic

That's what we mean by themes. Each of those defines a style of magic. Shadow mages can't create light based effects, if they have illusions, they are limited to shadows. Same with Light mages and darkness. These are just some of the ideas.

baixiwei
Overlord
Overlord

Post by baixiwei » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:23 pm

OK, but you haven't answered my question ... ?

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by kenseido » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:26 pm

I think what you have explained so far is too broad.

Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Ysariel » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:38 pm

baixiwei, after talking with kenseido we are OK with your HQ features as Features. I mean literally the 1pp effect, Feature. For example your scrying pool may give you a bonus to search/notice checks made using ESP, or let you recover from fatigue from stunting ESP off your magic array, like 1 rank of Luck.

For your magic style, Gandalf/Merlin style is OK, although we're going to have to see how this works out in actual play and reserve the right not to approve any power stunts that might be problematic. :)

baixiwei
Overlord
Overlord

Post by baixiwei » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:25 am

To be honest I am not really understanding why the HQ original build is considered potentially problematic, but since it is, how about I remove the HQ entirely and put the resulting 4 points into buying ESP and Communication as alternate powers on my array, plus two other feats? This is easier for me than your proposed change because it does not require me to search around for something to cut.

Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Ysariel » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:32 am

Actually, your HQ is OK; we're just saying that instead of

Power: Whispering Harp (Communication 9, auditory, affects others, two way, dimensional) 1ep

You have

Feature: Whispering Harp 1ep

baixiwei
Overlord
Overlord

Post by baixiwei » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:45 am

Huh? That is what they were to begin with. I must be misunderstanding something. How would the new version differ from the old version then? I would like something which grants the powers of remote viewing and communication - does it do that? You said something about granting a bonus to search checks, which is not really the same thing.

Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Ysariel » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:57 am

Maybe you should just remove the HQ and buy APs.

baixiwei
Overlord
Overlord

Post by baixiwei » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:29 am

Ok, probably will not have time to work on this today but will shoot for tomorrow.

stavaros-the-arcane
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by stavaros-the-arcane » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:39 am

Ysariel wrote:I like it. :D

Although your base attack is slightly too low. kenseido's house rules require 1/3 of total attack rounded up be made of base attack. So for Attack 8 you will need at least 3 base attack.
Adjusted to fix that. I think.