NBC's Heroes [Season One] (Spoilers)

Discuss anything vaguely M&M related here, such as comics, movies, and action figures.
goodtremere
Paragon
Paragon

Postby goodtremere » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:25 pm

Long and interesting Entertainment Weekly article on Heroes and it's relationship to the comic book industry. A buncha comic writers are asked their opinions.
http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,1555891_3_0_,00.html
@goodtremere on Champions online
Former Special Secretary For Nocturnal Liquidation and ATT LinkMaster
:( :cry: Weak in Search Fu :cry: :(
MM&M

EL
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: On this side of insanity, or was it that side? *shrugs*

Postby EL » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:30 pm

goodtremere wrote:Long and interesting Entertainment Weekly article on Heroes and it's relationship to the comic book industry. A buncha comic writers are asked their opinions.

you are a plethora of linkies. :)
THAT was for my MOM, you Son of a B!TCh!!! -Dean Winchester

Ronin
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Ronin » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:16 pm

EL wrote:
goodtremere wrote:Long and interesting Entertainment Weekly article on Heroes and it's relationship to the comic book industry. A buncha comic writers are asked their opinions.

I hearby dub goodtremere, LinkMaster!
"That was back when comic book worlds were places you wanted to escape to... not from." - Squirrel Girl

goodtremere
Paragon
Paragon

Postby goodtremere » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:13 am

Ronin wrote:
EL wrote:

Huzzah! I like linkies. I surf the comic news sites kind of frequently anyway, so I though I would save some ATTer some time while sharing interesting bits from the net. :D
MM&M

albavar
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby albavar » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:44 pm

goodtremere wrote:There are many sightings of the helix symbol. It was even in the swimming pool at the murder scene house with the telepathic cop's first appearance. The symbol has meaning, we just don't know if it has an actual purpose or reasoning in terms of plot or if it's just an artistic and visual tool for benefit of the audience.

The helix is the Blue Sun of this series.

The Stray
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby The Stray » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:36 pm

albavar wrote:
goodtremere wrote:There are many sightings of the helix symbol. It was even in the swimming pool at the murder scene house with the telepathic cop's first appearance. The symbol has meaning, we just don't know if it has an actual purpose or reasoning in terms of plot or if it's just an artistic and visual tool for benefit of the audience.

Except, of course, that we see it more often and more attention is drawn to it than Blue Sun.
M&M is not the system for reproducing real science. It's the system for tying real science to a chair and taunting it while you fly around blasting people with the heat of your x-ray vision.

Tales of a Dark City (2e)
Return To Dark City (3e)

EL
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EL » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:43 pm

goodtremere wrote:
Ronin wrote:
EL wrote:

Huzzah! I like linkies. I surf the comic news sites kind of frequently anyway, so I though I would save some ATTer some time while sharing interesting bits from the net. :D

Well as an ATTer you have my official graditude. You rock dude. (see how I rhymed that there)
Keep up the great work.

So my hope for the series right now is I'd like to see Micha do more stuff. I get the feeling he is going to be one of the most heroic in the bunch.

HappyDaze
Luminary
Luminary

Postby HappyDaze » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:46 pm

So my hope for the series right now is I'd like to see Micha do more stuff. I get the feeling he is going to be one of the most heroic in the bunch.
:x

I hope not.

I may be a minority in that I'm sick and tired of heroic kids/teenagers and even more sick of the edgy "psycho-heroes". Kill off Niki and relegate Micah to a background/sidekick role and I'll be much happier.

EL
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EL » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:50 pm

HappyDaze wrote:
:x

I hope not.

I may be a minority in that I'm sick and tired of heroic kids/teenagers and even more sick of the edgy "psycho-heroes". Kill off Niki and relegate Micah to a background/sidekick role and I'll be much happier.

I got no problem with hero kids/teens as long as they don't play out like anakin in Star Wars ep 1. Just don't treat the kid as a campy retard and I'm happy. He is a genius and already acts more responsible than the two people who are supposed to be raising him. Different strokes I guess.

goodtremere
Paragon
Paragon

Postby goodtremere » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:53 pm

I like the insightful kid vibe coming off Micah. The actor pulls it off well, I think.
MM&M

albavar
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby albavar » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:54 am

The Stray wrote:
albavar wrote:

Except, of course, that we see it more often and more attention is drawn to it than Blue Sun.

Actually, there was at least one Blue Sun in every single episode of Firefly. Most were crazy hard to find though.

HappyDaze
Luminary
Luminary

Postby HappyDaze » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:53 am

I got no problem with hero kids/teens
I wouldn't either if:

1) They actually acted like teens. Most are either 0 or 100 acting like childish idiots or acting 'more adult' than the adults. Both are poor representations of adolescents (which typically vary somewhat between the extremes).

2) They don't overshadow the adults. This is one of my biggest problems with anime. I don't understand why it always so important that it takes a kid to save the world. Don't bother explaining it to me with some fuzzy BS logic - I just think it's crap. The audience of Heroes is largely adults - lets keep the character focus on adults.

Giblet
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Giblet » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:32 am

I love how Straczynski acts like Heroes is a direct riff on Rising Stars, when Rising Stars was a complete rip-off of New Universe.

Oh, how I love that pompous, deluded little man.
Play extreme safe.

ARandomGod
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby ARandomGod » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:37 am

HappyDaze wrote:
I got no problem with hero kids/teens
I wouldn't either if:

1) They actually acted like teens. Most are either 0 or 100 acting like childish idiots or acting 'more adult' than the adults. Both are poor representations of adolescents (which typically vary somewhat between the extremes).

2) They don't overshadow the adults. This is one of my biggest problems with anime. I don't understand why it always so important that it takes a kid to save the world. Don't bother explaining it to me with some fuzzy BS logic - I just think it's crap. The audience of Heroes is largely adults - lets keep the character focus on adults.

According to text I read written by Orson Scott Card, a large number of people apparently feel similiarly about children. Obviously (if you've read Ender's Game) he was talking about kids who act in adult ways.

I think that's just predjudice. Olders don't like to think of youngers as actual people, and it disturbes them when it's pointed out that sometimes they are. Not all children are sub-human, even if they are oftentreated that way in society today (Especially post-industrial ones).

Sure "typical" children are more typical, but exeptional children can be exceptional. I don't find it unlikely that a hero (or even main character) would be exceptional.

I had an interesting little philosophical conversation that included some basic thoughts along this line over the weekend. Society keeps people socially 'young' artificially. This extended youth period of enforced adolescence almost certainly has an effect on the adults they become. People were forced to stay sub-adult and not grow up during the begining part of their biological adulthood, is it any wonder that so many "adults" seem so very immature?

If you always keep an open mind you'll be surprised at the things that find their way in.

Cryptic
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Cryptic » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:22 am

People don't like the idea that they're being replaced, in a sense.

In centuries past, it used to be that you would get to thirty-something and your body would be old and used up. You had a half a dozen or more children around to pick up the slack and you wanted them to. You were going to die... or at the very least, need help living. Nature forced you to accept that.

Now, with modern nutrition, medicine, living standards and so forth people in that range are still considered to be young, and they don't want those half a dozen children getting in the way. Now, you're not going to die naturally in most cases, and you're still doing quite well on the taking care of yourself front as well. You're not ready to have these children step up and take your place. Instead of wanting them to stick around to take care of the homestead, you eventually get to the point where you want to know how soon you can ship them off to college. But heaven forbid they should act more mature than you... you're still trying to stretch out the years when you don't have to be all that mature.

All those Hero's Journey tales where the boy goes out, faces great danger, becomes a man, and then returns with wisdom and experience to the village are now an affront to a society where people strive to hold on to their own youth and vitality (and to some extent, ignorance.)

It's just another way that our nature hasn't caught up to our nature, where we're still fundamentally hairless apes that are more prone to bang on things until they work, but we've got longer lifespans, technology, and so forth.

And... I've gone off topic again. Sorry.

Return to “Sidekicks Lounge”