Nyrath's Librarium: Rei Ayanami, Portia [Drow PC]

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:20 am

Blessed be the might of the Immortal God-Emperor of Mankind and his servants!

(On this thread, they certainly are! :wink: )

The Emperor Protects.
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Kreuzritter » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:24 am

Libra wrote:Blessed be the might of the Immortal God-Emperor of Mankind and his servants!

(On this thread, they certainly are! :wink: )

The Emperor Protects.
you saw it here first folks, libra praising bleak dystopia
Kreuz Control Promotions: over 2800 builds served, and counting...
Crinoverse: Contributions

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:26 am

Better than serving the Hordes of Chaos or slavering Xenos! 8)

Now, where did I put that Malleus Rosette. . .
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Batgirl III
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Batgirl III » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:41 am

What, no love for the Adepta Sororitas?

I've converted the Sisters of Battle, but I've yet to see anyone else try their hand despite the 40K conversions that keep cropping up...

Consider the power-gauntlet tossed, Master Libra. :D
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.

Nyrath
Sidekick
Sidekick

Post by Nyrath » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:55 am

I do have one member of the Sororitas in the works, not quite the average member but a Sister of Battle non the less.
The Librarium - Careful around the shelves, I still need to get stronger chains for the books. And don't go wandering off on your own either, I still haven't found the last one to do that.

Minister
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Minister » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:30 am

Batgirl III wrote:What, no love for the Adepta Sororitas?

I've converted the Sisters of Battle, but I've yet to see anyone else try their hand despite the 40K conversions that keep cropping up...
Ahem,

Excuse me.

I must away now and get on my push bike. There's 2000 points of Bloody Rose up for a fight and a bunch of Necrons looking for a taste of melta.

Nyrath
Sidekick
Sidekick

Post by Nyrath » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:37 am

Nyrath wrote:Ambakaro “Arms Bearers”
"The Ambakaro ("Arms Bearers") are men that have proved their valour and dedication to their chieftains in the heat of battle. While their background may vary, they all have in common a religious oath of fealty sealed by sacred rites. They are fanatical about keeping their honour and are granted land, cattle and arms as a reward for their services. They protect themselves with a form of light armour made up of quilted linen under a composite of leather, "esparto" fibers and connecting metal pins that is good at absorbing cutting blows. They also use their trademark bronze helmets with the "bucula" ("facemask") along with the standard steel falcata and caetra known of other Iberian warriors. They, however, fight with a degree of Élan and ferocity that is not often matched by any enemy. Besides all this, they throw the "gesso" before melee, which is a long range light javelin suitable for picking enemies off at a great distance.

Historically, the Ambakaro were the elite infantry of the Lusotannan and the personal foot guard of the Lusitanian chieftains. They were bound by religious oaths of fealty and usually defended their lord to the death being praised by Julius Caesar himself. When their lord died, they would often kill each other in ritual combat as part of the funerary rites so they could accompany him to the afterlife. "
One of my earlier Historical builds gets a bit more fluff while I work on a couple of others.
The Librarium - Careful around the shelves, I still need to get stronger chains for the books. And don't go wandering off on your own either, I still haven't found the last one to do that.

Nyrath
Sidekick
Sidekick

Post by Nyrath » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:52 am

“The Bataroas hail from a region the Romans call Transalpine Gaul (Gaul the other side of the Alps). Raised from the Celtic Warrior Class, these Gauls are proud and experienced fighters who often value feats of impetuous valour over acts of more prudent common sense.

Despite a Celtic propensity to become easily discouraged when faced with determined opposition and to suffer under a hot sun, an unwary foe will soon be parted with their head. The Celts are large men and the Bataroas use their strength to hurl their spears at great distances before closing with their long swords.”

Bataroas (Celtic Longswordmen) PL 6 – 57pts Minion 4
Image Image
Abilities – 17pts
Strength 15 +2
Dexterity 13 +1
Constitution 15 +2
Intelligence 12 +1
Wisdom 12 +1
Charisma 10 +0

Saves – 8pts
Toughness +3/+2
Fortitude +5
Reflex +3
Will +4/+8

Combat – 16pts
Attack +6 (Melee) +4 (Ranged)
Damage +5 (Longsword) +5 (Javelin) +3 (Knife)
Defence +6/+4 (+2 Flatfooted)
Grapple +8
Initiative +1

Feats – 8pts
Dedicated
Endurance
Equipment 5
Improved Block

Equipment – 23pts
Javelins [Blast 3, Mighty 3] – 6pts
Longsword (Sword) [Strike 3, Mighty, Improved Critical] – 5ep
Mid-Large Shield [Shield 2, Deflect: 3] – 5pts
Knife [Strike 1, Mighty, Improved Critical] – 3ep
Leather Armour [Protection 1] – 1ep

Skills 32/4=8pts
Climb 3 (+5)
Intimidate 5 (+5)
Language 1: Greek (Base: Mainland Celtic)
Notice 4 (+5)
Stealth 4 (+5)
Survival 4 (+5)
Swim 3 (+5)
8 more points for life skills

((Note: These are fairly low ranking members of the Celtic Warrior Class, high ranking ones as well as the hardcore warrior societies will get their turn.))

Nyrath
Sidekick
Sidekick

Post by Nyrath » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:05 pm

“During periods of strife and war, it is necessary sometimes to call upon ordinary citizens to organize as militia. Militia in Celtic societies, called Lugoae (Lug-oo-ay; "Levy Troops"), are farmers, craftsmen, fishermen, and so on, called to brief military service in periods of crisis. They may train a few times a year to fight, and games and sports encourage a decent level of physicality, but they're still only militia, and can only be trusted to do so much.

Historically, the Celts, being a warrior culture, encouraged their people to engage in sports and games that would increase their physical strength and preparedness for war. This doesn't mean everyone was a warrior though. Those not in the warrior class would be levied into warbands at times, or form their own militias in their towns to defend themselves from outsiders and act as a type of early police force. Their weapons and equipment would be whatever they could afford personally, usually simple hunting implements, such as a hunter's spear, and a shield.”

Lugoae (Celtic Levy) PL 4 – 39pts Minion 3
Image Image Image
Abilities – 11pts
Strength 13 +1
Dexterity 11 0
Constitution 14 +2
Intelligence 11 0
Wisdom 12 +1
Charisma 10 +0

Saves – 7pts
Toughness +2
Fortitude +5
Reflex +3
Will +3/+7

Combat – 10pts
Attack +4 (Melee) +2 (Ranged)
Damage +4 (Spear) +2 (Knife)
Defence +5/+3 (+2 Flatfooted)
Grapple +5
Initiative 0

Feats – 5pts
Dedicated
Endurance
Equipment 3

Equipment – 15pts
Spear [Strike 3, Mighty, Improved Critical, Extended Reach 2[15ft]] – 7ep
Mid-Large Shield [Shield 2, Deflect: 3] – 5pts

Skills 28/4=7pts
Climb 3 (+4)
Notice 4 (+5)
Stealth 3 (+3)
Survival 3 (+4)
Swim 3 (+4)
12 more points for life skills

Nyrath
Sidekick
Sidekick

Post by Nyrath » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:49 pm

“The Solduros (Sul-dur-ohs; "Devoted Ones") are remarkably skilled, fearless elite guards of Celtic nobles. They pledge themselves to eachother and their charge, and fight to the very end. Small in number, they are a remarkable elite, best used to combat an enemy's opposing elite soldiers or heavy troops. They are very well armored and armed, and can surely break many enemies, but they are rare, very expensive, and while their armor and shields are of good quality, they have no form of retaliation at range, and would be too slow to chase off skirmishers or missile troops, and so would need ranged or cavalry support to be used to best effect.

Historically, Celtic nobles surrounded themselves with elite bodyguards of kings, magistrates, and other important nobles and officials, such as high ranking druids. Among them were the "Soldurii", the greatest warriors of the Aquitanni. Each man pledged his life to a fellow of this brotherhood, and the man pledged to would return this pledge; if the one of these two died, and the other did not, the remaining man would take his own life after the battle, for having failed defend him. Julius Caesar noted that no man ever backed down from this duty, and did so fearlessly. Their skill was tremendous; they fought against great odds and could defeat many times their own number. So great and legendary was their name even to their enemies that it can be found having influenced words such as 'soldier' and 'solidarity'.”

Solduros (Celtic Elite Bodyguards) PL 9 – 111pts Minion 8
Image Image
Abilities – 31pts
Strength 18 +4
Dexterity 14 +2
Constitution 18 +4
Intelligence 13 +1
Wisdom 14 +2
Charisma 14 +2

Saves – 13pts
Toughness +7/+4
Fortitude +7
Reflex +4
Will +10/+14

Combat – 28pts
Attack +10 (Melee) +6 (Ranged)
Damage +7 (Sword) +5 (Knife)
Defence +11/+8 (+4 Flatfooted)
Grapple +14
Initiative +6

Feats – 28pts
Accurate Attack
All-out Attack
Assessment
Attack Focus Melee 4
Benefit: Status; Legendary Warrior/Hero Cult member
Dedicated
Defensive Attack
Diehard
Endurance
Equipment 4
Improved Block 2
Improved Disarm
Improved Critical: Sword
Improved Initiative
Interpose
Power Attack
Startle
Takedown Attack
Teamwork 2
Weapon Bind

Equipment – 18pts
LongSword [Strike 3, Mighty, Improved Critical] – 5ep
Large Shield [Shield 3, Deflect: 4] – 7pts
Chainmail [Protection 3] – 3pts

Skills 44/4=11pts
Climb 4 (+8]
Intimidate 8 (+10)
Language 2: Greek, Germanic
Notice 8 (+10)
Stealth 4 (+6)
Survival 4 (+6)
Swim 4 (+8]
10 more points for life skills

Notes: Oh, I do love these guys. The result of the Celtic Warrior Cultures focus on Heroism, these fellows can take down almost any other fighters in the ancient world mano-a-mano.

Then again, I've got the few who could best them yet to come 8) . Three guesses as to which culture the majority of them come from, extra credit if you can nail one of my top three contenders.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:54 am

I'm enjoying your run of Historical Characters Nyrath. :D

I hope you keep statting them.

By the by, you wouldn't happen to have any Greco-Roman types coming up on your list? Can't have the Barabarian's having all the fun. . . 8)

Wordmaker
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by Wordmaker » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:19 am

The historical builds are cool. Where do those images come from, by the way?

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:21 am

They look like modified Rome: Total War models.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rome_Total_War

Wordmaker
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by Wordmaker » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:29 am

That's what I was thinking, too.

Nyrath
Sidekick
Sidekick

Post by Nyrath » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:21 am

The Images are from Europa Barbarorum, in my opinion one of the best, and easily most ambitious, mods for any of the Total War games.

And I will get to the Italian "Barbaroi" as well, from the late fourth century BCE up to the early ADs. And not just the most famous and historically succesful of those peoples will be covered, but also a few of those who didn't quite make it.

The Hellenic states have more coming up for them as well, as do the Karthadastim. The various nations claiming to be successors to the Achaemenids such as Pontos and Hayasdanwill get something as well, and there's still a lot to go with the Kel-toi, the Lusotanni, the various Germanic tribes, and the terrors of the steppe.

One thing I do have to figure out is just how to best simulate mounted combat for shock cavarly; the armoured horse could at times be a greater threat than the rider. Another minor detail I hope to manage, though more on a fluff base, is to get my hands on a particular image which I've seen, I know who has it, but which unedited isn't quite fit for most forums. Once I get my hands on it I'll churn out the stats for what was basically the most feared killing-machine throughout the Mediterranean and nothern Europe