J-Mart Thorpacoverse Settings - Heroes, House Rules

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

J-Mart Thorpacoverse Settings - Heroes, House Rules

Post by Thorpacolypse » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:25 pm

The Thorpacoverse (A Not so Serious Place in a Serious Universe)

OK, Libra, you asked for it! J-Mart is expanding over into the Settings thread where I will work on posting info on my Thorpacoversal (meaning my little multiverse) setting for my conversions and original characters.

First off, in regards to my current (and long-lasting, amazingly enough) obsession with the MnM system, my first love is building. Second is making said characters fight. Third is writing stories around the fight. Doing something like this is a distant fourth. But it’s something I really need to do before I really delve into more serious storylines outside of my initial attempts. Just don’t count on many regular updates or real writing ability. Check Wordmaker’s or Baron’s threads on Roll Call for that. :D

The Thorpacoverse is an amalgam of several universes, like the DC, DCAU, Marvel, Ultimate Marvel, The Matrix, Serenity, Star Wars, etc. as mentioned before. If I like the characters/concepts and I can figure out even a remotely plausible tie in to my little stories/encounters, that universe will be involved. Builds for the characters used in this campaign will continue to be stocked at our main J-Mart Location on Roll Call but links to those builds will be set here for review in the Players post if you’re interested in more detail. Fights and encounters will be housed at our new J-Mart Location in Story Hour.

The Original J-Mart - Character Build Thread

J-Mart Story Hour Location

I will be breaking out sections of the Thorpacoverse into different posts so that I can work on them separately as I have time (or most importantly, the inspiration) and so that I can manage the process of creating a whole “not quite original” setting.

Comments and suggestions are more than welcome, even the less flattering ones. However, should you choose to be negative, please note that I have The Punisher and Midnighter on my payroll as Customer Satisfaction Liaisons. : )

So without further ado, let’s get started!

STORE DIRECTORY:

The Thorpacoverse Settings

The Known Information on Earths of the Thorpacoverse

Earth-217 (Conversion Setting):
The Current State of Supers
Timeline of Key Events
The Main Players:
Heroes
Villains
Neutral Parties

Key Cities/Locales/Offworlds:
Coast City
Gotham City
Libria
New York
Sh’iar Space
Star City
Tamaran
Wakanda
Washington, DC
Zandia
Zion

Key Events:
The Infinite Secret War Storm
The Superhuman Registration Act
The Initiative - Registered Heroes
The Thorpacolypse
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:43 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:54 am

I can't wait to see what you come up with Thorpacolypse. :wink:
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

JackGiantkiller
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by JackGiantkiller » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:26 pm

I await, breathless.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:44 am

See, I told you it was a bad idea to smoke so many cigarettes. 8)
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

JackGiantkiller
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by JackGiantkiller » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:33 pm

*kaf kaf* Nonsense. I'm fine.Even if I did have to summon three demon lords and sell my soul to each of them to get rid of the cancer....Wait, that was John, not me. Sorry.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Post by Thorpacolypse » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:42 pm

The Superhuman Registration Act: Earth-217, Earth-69, Earth-P

One of the most controversial occurrences in the history of the superhero community occurred 2 years ago with the enactment of the Superhuman Registration Act (SRA). The Act was subsequently repealed after the Thorpacolypse, but the ramifications of the SRA will have a far reaching impact on the superhero community for some time to come.

The seeds of the SRA were planted years ago in the paranoia of the powers that be when beings like Superman, the Fantastic Four and to a lesser degree, Captain America appeared. For years, the heroes walked the fine line between publicly supported heroes and vigilantes and the U.S. Government was never comfortable with their presence.

Once the Justice League and Avengers were founded, the U.S. Government began to take steps to defend themselves should one of these groups of super powered individuals became a real threat. Working with CADMUS labs, a secret splinter group of SHIELD called Checkmate was formed to specifically monitor and be prepared to counter the growing metahuman “threat”. Checkmate was able to operate in secret for sometime until they came into conflict with SHIELD Director Nick Fury over their involvement in the incident in Genosha, the mutant refuge, and the massacre orchestrated there by one of their own, Henry Gyrich (albiet until the mental influence of Cassandra Nova). From there on out, Fury and the Director of Checkmate, known as the Black Queen, Amanda Waller kept an uneasy truce even as their agendas become more and more divergent. Fury kept a good relationship with, and even grew to count on the superhero community at large, while Waller grew to resent them more and more.

After years and years of superhuman battles that caused trillions in property damage across the globe, civilian casualties and the occasional incident where one of the heroes would go rogue (Superman being mind controlled by Darkseid, The Hulk’s constant rampages, Wolverine’s berserker rages, etc.) things finally came to head with the Nitro incident in Stamford, CT. The super group New Warriors had their own very highly rated reality show, and were being filmed in a confrontation with the villain Nitro and some other associates. Nitro, having the ability explode and then reform himself, exploded in a massive blast that killed the heroes, his associates and hundreds of bystanders.

With the government and the superhero community at large facing a public relations nightmare, Amanda Waller, General Wade Eiling and Senator Kelly used the opportunity to rush the SRA through the 3 branches of government in near record time. The act required registration of those with naturally-occurring superhuman abilities, super abilities acquired through science or magic, including extraterrestrials and gods, and even non-super powered humans using exotic technology, such as Iron Man or Batman. Registrants had to reveal their identities to the government (but not the public) and they had to undergo some basic testing and/or training and satisfy certain (nor publicly unspecified) standards before they could gain legal authorization to continue to use their abilities to fight crime. Initially government employment was not mandatory, though it was available to those who wished to take it. However, some registrants have said that they were told that all super powered individuals that were forced to register had to enlist in SHIELD, but that was publicly denied by General Eiling and other key individuals involved in the enforcement of the act at the time.

The act created a massive divide in the superhero community as some heroes felt strongly about each side of the registration act and eventually a Civil War erupted in the superhero community. The Pro-Registration side was lead by Iron Man, who became the public face of the act, as well as such well respected heroes as Reed Richards, Captain Atom and Green Lantern Hal Jordan. The Anti-Registration side was championed by Captain America Steve Rogers, Luke Cage and Jenny Sparks of The Authority. Earth’s greatest hero, Superman, had lost his powers during The Secret Infinite War Storm and remained in his secret identity as Clark Kent until his powers returned later in the year. The schism lasted for almost a year, with many super teams being split down the middle in their beliefs. Finally, in climactic battle between the two sides, Captain America, realizing the damage that their Civil War had caused to the populace at large, ordered the Anti-Registration side to stand down and accept the act. Being the hero that he was, Rogers brokered a deal to accept full penalties for his acts during the Civil War in exchange for dropped charges against several other heroes. It was during his transfer from a SHIELD detention facility to his first trial date that he was assassinated.

Some of the anti-registration heroes complied with the act; others went underground or went back to their secret identities and stopped functioning as heroes. The government created The Initiative, which was set up to place a government sponsored and trained super team in each state. Despite occasional conflicts with the resistance groups of heroes, things almost went back to business as usual until Darkseid took the opportunity to mount a full scale attack on Earth. Without Superman and Captain America to lead the heroes, the fight was nearly lost, but the heroes prevailed.

Then approximately 6 months ago, the Thorpacolypse occurred and when things started to go very badly, the Act was repealed, allowing for the return to action of several heroes. With their help the insane thunder god Thor from a parallel dimension was stopped, but at the cost of many super hero and civilian lives. It became a new source of fractioning of the superhero community due to methods used by Tony Stark and Batman to end the battle.

Now that the SRA has been repealed, The Initiative is still in place but it is a voluntary option for heroes that want to work for the government. However, their numbers are thinning as some feel that the drawbacks to government service are greater than the advantages. The superhero community is still in a state of flux as grudges are still held, and trust among many heroes has been lost.

The big name super groups are rebuilding their teams, as the Justice League, Avengers and Justice Society had been disbanded for some time but are actively recruiting again, amidst ongoing negotiations with the United Nations and several Governments regarding agreements about the use of their abilities and scope of their authority.

As the healing from these world shattering events continues, there is hope that there can be a return to the days when the superhero community could unite against a common threat. But one has to wonder if that will ever be the case again.
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Shop J-Mart!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:03 pm

The Players: Heroes of Earth-217

As previously stated, the builds of these characters are housed at our original J-Mart location (see link below) along with all of the posted builds from the J-Mart Team. A few may be posted here, though, if it serves a purpose.

All hero builds used in this setting are based on the heroes and villains being built at their best "representative" level with no set PP per level limits and other tweaks in my building style for NPCs, like offsetting offensive and defensive PLs, half PLs and such. The heroes will generally be rules appropriate, but villains are considered NPCs and are not subject to PL limits and/or some rules. The heroes need challenges, you know? :D

It should also be noted that several of these builds are still in the works. :wink:

I’m not quite sure I want to organize these, so expect many tweaks as I try to figure out what works best for how I want to work these.

J-Mart Roll Call Thread - Character Build Listing

Superman (PL15)
Captain America (Steve Rogers) (PL12)
Batman (PL11.5)
Wonder Woman (PL14)
Iron Man (PL12.5)
Luke Cage (PL9.5)
Spider-Man (PL11)
]Wolverine (PL11)
Jack Hawksmoor (PL12)
Cyclops (PL11.5)
Spawn (PL12)
The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Donatello
Leonardo
Michelangelo
Raphael
Superboy (Kon-El) (PL11)
Captain Atom (PL13)
U.S. Agent (PL10)
Wonder Man (PL12)
Captain America (James Barnes) (PL10)
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:49 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Shop J-Mart!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:41 pm

Timeline of Key Events: Earth-217

This is without a doubt a work in progress. Expect changes as I continue to refine and work on the setting, but I thought this was a decent start.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

100 years ago –

65 years ago - Captain America is lost and presumed dead after a mission over the North Atlantic near the end of World War II. His teen sidekick, Bucky Barnes is assumed to have met the same fate.

60 years ago –

50 years ago –

40 years ago –

30 years ago –

37 years ago – Bruce Wayne was born.

36 years ago – Kal-El’s spaceship from Krypton landed on Earth.

25 years ago –

20 years ago -

15 years ago -

14 years ago - Superman makes his first public appearance, ushering in the age of the modern superheros.

13 years ago - The Fantastic Four receive their powers during their accident in space.

12 years ago - Tony Stark completes his first prototype armor and becomes Iron Man.

Rumors of a half-man, half-bat begin to circulate in Gotham City.

11 years ago -

10 years ago - The alien mind controller Starro attempts to take over the planet. Several heroes band together to stop the beast. They decide to continue their association on a regular basis and name their organization The Justice League of America.

Captain America's body is found frozen and perfected preserved in the North Atlantic by Nick Fury and SHIELD. His is revived and becomes a charter member of a new super team named The Avengers

9 years ago -

8 years ago -

7 years ago -

6 years ago - Superman dies during an epic battle with Doomsday.

5 years ago -

Dick Grayson quits his role as Robin and becomes Nightwing.

4 years ago -

The 2nd Robin, Jason Todd is killed by The Joker.

3 years ago –

Tim Drake takes over as the new Robin

2 years ago – The universe is nearly destroyed by Alexander Luthor Jr., Superboy-Prime and Thanos in the event known as the Infinite Secret War Storm. For details on this event, read this article.

Superboy is killed saving the universe during a battle with Superboy-Prime.

After the events of the Infinite Secret War Storm and the incident in Stamford, CT with the New Warriors and Nitro, The Superhuman Registration Act is ratified in the United States. Several other countries adopt their own versions of the Act. For details, read this article.

1 year ago – Captain America is assassinated.

Darkseid mounts a full scale attack on Earth.

The Thorpacolypse occurred. For more info on the event, see this article.

This year – The SRA is repealed. The Justice League, US Avengers, and other super teams begin to reform.
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Shop J-Mart!

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:19 am

Hmmm. Looks fairly good so far Thorpacolypse. :D

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:51 pm

Libra wrote:Hmmm. Looks fairly good so far Thorpacolypse. :D
Thanks, Libra. This whole universe creation thing is a lot of work...

No wonder the big man had a take a day off when the real thing occurred. :D
Shop J-Mart!

luketheduke86
Hero
Hero

Post by luketheduke86 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:14 pm

i like your universe very much Thorp!! so whats is the current status of the likes of Spider-man (seems like he'd get along with the New Champions mostly cause Nightwing + Spider-man= win!) and what about Superboy? oh and Edward and Al Elric in the Teen Titans is just....AWESOME!!!
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:19 pm

luketheduke86 wrote:i like your universe very much Thorp!! so whats is the current status of the likes of Spider-man (seems like he'd get along with the New Champions mostly cause Nightwing + Spider-man= win!) and what about Superboy? oh and Edward and Al Elric in the Teen Titans is just....AWESOME!!!
Thanks, Luke.

Spidey will be in the New Champions most likely, I just haven't gotten all the teams lined out yet. He'll either be there or unaffiliated. I plan on focusing on the characters in that team and X-Force mostly when I start a storyline again, particularly in the recruitment area, which is a hot topic in the super hero society right now as the teams look to fill out their rosters. There is competition a-plenty for some of the big names, and he's one of the biggest, of course.

As far as Superboy goes, I am debating what to do with him. A lot depends on whether or not I finish my story or not, or if i just write an ending and move on to other things (which is most likely at this point). I am actually considering re-writing/running the storyline (which would give the status of Superboy and Steve Rogers, of course) with the playable builds I've done. I think it would change the outcome of some of the encounters for sure.

The Elric idea came to me when I was watching FMA one night, and I thought of an arc where the brothers were sent to the US by Mustang for lead on the Philosopher's Stone and while they were here, they ended up in Gotham, an encounter with the Bat family ensued and they decided to stay and work with the Titans while they continued their search. I'm also toying with their war being against Latveria... :wink:

Believe me, there's lots more suprises to come...
Shop J-Mart!

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:46 am

Excellent. 8)

Crinos
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Crinos » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:50 pm

Thorpacolypse wrote:
The Elric idea came to me when I was watching FMA one night, and I thought of an arc where the brothers were sent to the US by Mustang for lead on the Philosopher's Stone and while they were here, they ended up in Gotham, an encounter with the Bat family ensued and they decided to stay and work with the Titans while they continued their search. I'm also toying with their war being against Latveria... :wink:
So I'm assuming this version of Armestis is going to be heavily modified to fit in with the rest of the world then, considering that in the anime it was established that Ed and Al come from a parallel universe that is wildly different from our world (In my setting, they were brought to FC world by the Navigatrix in hopes of finding a way to restore Al at Claremont for instance)

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:28 pm

Crinos wrote:
Thorpacolypse wrote:
So I'm assuming this version of Armestis is going to be heavily modified to fit in with the rest of the world then, considering that in the anime it was established that Ed and Al come from a parallel universe that is wildly different from our world (In my setting, they were brought to FC world by the Navigatrix in hopes of finding a way to restore Al at Claremont for instance)
Yes and no. Amestris will be different, but not modernized too much. That was part of the charm of it to me. Many of the universes I am trying to meld are quite different so there will be some challenges in that.

I like your Navigatrix idea. I may steal...er, work on a similar idea for them or other universes I would like to involve, like The Matrix universe or something.
Shop J-Mart!