Jab's Builds: 2nd Edition Stuff (Kept in Reserve)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Tattooedman » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:58 pm

Herc using the Golden Mace really depends on the writer at the time. So love for him to use it while others ignore it totally.

Personally I like him without it since alot of times him using it reminds me of a ground based Thor-lite IMO :D
World of Freedom Setting 3E

"Your ignorance is not my burden."
-- Chiun

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:39 pm

I'm with you there. It's bad enough he's basically Thor-Lite on a GOOD day (minus the Flight, Magic, Teleporting, Lightning, etc.), but to give him the same freaking weapon (when it never appears in ANY Greek Myth I'M familiar with, and I'm a big enough dork to know the names of the three Cyclopes and Giants of the initial myths!) is just lazy.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:42 pm

"OK, so in one continuity I'm insane and I destroyed the mutant population. In the other, I'm boinking my brother. Sucks to be me."

THE SCARLET WITCH- Classic Avengers (1960s)
PL 11 (140)

ST 10 DEX 14 (+2) CON 12 (+1) INT 14 (+2) WIS 18 (+4) CHA 16 (+3)

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+7)
Bluff 4 (+7)
Concentration 6 (+10)
Diplomacy 5 (+8)
Knowledge (Arcane Lore) 6 (+8)
Language (Romanian, English) 1
Notice 5 (+9)
Pilot 2 (+4)
Sense Motive 4 (+8)
Stealth 2 (+4)

Feats:
Attack Focus (Ranged) 4, Attractive, Defensive Roll 2, Dodge Focus 2, Luck 2, Ritualist, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Hex Spheres"
Probability Control 11 (Extras: Jinx, Ranged) (Flaws: Concentration Check Required) [58]
AP: "Improbable Events" Blast 11 (Extras: Perception Range, Penetrating) (Flaws: Concentration Check Required)
AP: Deflect (All Ranged Attacks) 11 (Extras: Free Action) (Flaws: Concentration Check Required)
AP: Magic 7

Saves:
Toughness +1 (+3 D.Roll), Fortitude +4, Reflex +5, Will +8

Combat:
Attack +5 (+9 Ranged), Damage +0 (+11 Powers), Defense +8 (+10 Dodge), Initiative +2

Drawbacks:
Power Loss (All Powers, If Unable to Gesture) [-2]

Complications:
Responsibility (Magneto's Daughter)
Responsibility (Chaos Magician)
Secret (Created Her Two Children With Magic)

Abilities: 24 / Skills: 40--10 / Feats: 14 / Powers: 58 / Saves: 10 / Combat: 26 / Drawbacks: -2 (140)

-Wanda's been all over the place as a character. First, she was a fairly peaceful, non-evil villain under Magneto's rule in the Silver Age Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, wearing a fairly goofy headdress that I still don't know the origins of. Then, she did a face turn and became an Avenger in a wildly unpredictable turn (in the good way) later on in the 60s. This lead to a relationship with The Vision, a marriage, children, then it all came crashing down as John Byrne made her go crazy in his West Coast run. She was cured in the end, but that'd lead to worse things later. She & Vision divorced when he turned into Mr. Data, she brought Wonder Man back from the dead and started boning HIM, and then she went nuts one big, final time, destroying the Marvel Universe in the process. OK, really, she just started some REALLY BAD crossovers, but that's an even more heinous crime, isn't it? Time will tell what'll happen to her character.

-Me, I just blame it on the impossibility of writing mystic characters in modern times. And the overwhelming urge many writers get to have her beat the villain in the end using some kind of "Deus ex machina" Magic power thingie.

-The Scarlet Witch seemed complicated at first, but really, the Probability Control power in "Ultimate Power" basically explicitly lays out her powers in full, even giving us the two standard APs of it that get used fairly frequently, those being Deflect & Damage. She gets minor Magic power as another AP, but is forced to spend a Hero Point to get ANY use out of it. Thankfully, she's got 2 ranks of Luck for that, but she's still very much a highly potent Glass Cannon, being almost worthless without her powers. She needs Concentration for any of her powers to work, so it's a good thing she's got decent ranks in the skill, though 'only' +10, so if there's a Dazzle or mind-screw thing going around, she's in pretty deep trouble.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:50 am

DOCTOR STRANGE- New Avengers (Modern Day)
PL 12 (248)

ST 10 DEX 14 (+2) CON 14 (+2) INT 20 (+5) WIS 30 (+10) CHA 16 (+3)

Skills:
Bluff 5 (+8)
Concentration 10 (+20)
Craft (Mystical) 4 (+9)
Diplomacy 4 (+7)
Gather Information 4 (+7)
Intimidate 4 (+7)
Investigate 2 (+12)
Knowledge (Arcane Lore) 13 (+18)
Knowledge (Current Events) 2 (+7)
Medicine 8 (+13)
Notice 4 (+14)
Sense Motive 8 (with Eye) (+18)

Feats:
Artificer, Attack Focus (Magic) 6, Benefit 3 (Wealth, Status as Sorceror Supreme, Magic Items), Dodge Focus 2, Improved Aim, Power Attack, Luck 5, Master Plan, Ritualist, Sidekick 5 (Wong), Skill Mastery (Arcane Lore, Medicine, Concentration, Sense Motive), Trance, Ultimate Save (Will), Ultimate Skill (Arcane Lore)

Powers:
"The Sorceror Supreme"
Immunity 2 (Aging, Disease) [2]
Magic 28 [86]
Dynamic AP: Blast 14 (Feats: Split Attack, Improved Critical 2) (Extras: Penetrating)
Dynamic AP: "Crimson Bands of Cyttorak" Snare 14 (Feats: Reversible, Obscures Sense)
Dynamic AP: Force Field 11 (Feats: Progression 5) (Extras: Affects Others, Impervious)
Dynamic AP: Create Object 12 (Feats: Stationary, Precise) (Extras: Movable)
Dynamic AP: Telepathy 6
Dynamic AP: Comprehend 6 (Animals, Languages, Spirits)
Dynamic AP: Concealment (All Senses) 12 (Extras: Affects Others)
Dynamic AP: Mind Control 12 (Extras: Area-Burst)
Dynamic AP: ESP (Visuals) 12
Dynamic AP: Illusion (Visuals) 10
Dynamic AP: Immunity 9 (Life Support) (Extras: Affects Others) (Flaws: Sustained)
Dynamic AP: Telekinesis 14 (Extras: Perception Range)
Dynamic AP: Super-Movement (Dimensional Movement 3) (Feats: Progression 5) (Extras: Portal)
Dynamic AP: Teleport 10 (Feats: Change Velocity, Progression 2) (Extras: Accurate, Portal)
Dynamic AP: Astral Projection 10 (Feats: Dimensional) (Extras: Affects Others)

"The Eye of Agamotto" Device 9 (hard to lose) (Feats: Restricted- Pure Hearts, Indestructible) [31]
Enhanced Skills 2 (Sense Motive 8) (2)
"Searing Light" Disintegration 10 (Flaws: Tiring) (43)
AP: Boost Telepathy 9 (Feats: Dimensional) (Extras: Area-Burst 12)-- (total Telepathy 15)
AP: Nullify (Energy Effects) 10 (20)
AP: Super-Senses 12 (True Sight 10, Postcognition 2) -- (45 points)

"The Cloak of Levitation" Device 3 (hard to lose) (Feats: Indestructible) [13]
Flight 7 (14)
Additional Limbs 1 (1) -- (15 points)

Saves:
Toughness +2 (+13 Force Field), Fortitude +4, Reflex +4, Will +14

Combat:
Attack +4 (+10 Magic), Damage +0 (+14 Magic), Defense +8 (+10 Dodge), Initiative +2

Drawbacks:
Power Loss (Magic, If Unable to Gesture) [-3]

Complications:
Responsibility (Sorceror Supreme)

Abilities: 44 / Skills: 64--16 / Feats: 27 / Powers: 132 / Saves: 8 / Combat: 24 / Drawbacks: -3 (248)

-There's scarcely a more powerful hero in the Marvel U than the good Doctor himself, which is probably why nobody buys his stories. The guy can just about do ANYTHING with a spell he's got pre-set in there. It says something when his only true major success as a character came with Steve Ditko was doing drug-addled tales of him in the 60s, and he never broached that level again (Stan Lee kept Spider-Man going without missing a beat after Ditko left, but Strange wasn't so lucky). He's had all kinds of comebacks and specials since then, and is usually at the forefront of nearly every major event, whether he's got a solo book out at the time or not (the various Infinities, Disassembled, Secret Invasion, etc.), but nothing ever sticks for him. It's the curse of magic books. I know it's why I've never read him- who wants stories of a guy who does everything? Unless they're Ditko-level inventive and weird, there's just no point.

-I went with a fairly low PL 12 for Dr. Strange (he could be from PL 13 to 15 realistically as well). He's got two regular Devices (one for Flying, one for an extra super-blast and boosting his mental powers beyond their normal levels), and one mother of a Magic power, essentially having a super-massive array of varying powers that he can Dynamically alter to a given situation. I made his Force Field an AP of it as well, so that he can't just toss his most powerful spells off without worrying about the Field; he's got to give up the Affects Others Extra or even the Penetrating to also toss out a Blast. It makes a fairly unplayable character slightly more vulnerable.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

SilentMan
Henchman
Henchman

Postby SilentMan » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:28 am

There's scarcely a more powerful hero in the Marvel U than the good Doctor himself, which is probably why nobody buys his stories. The guy can just about do ANYTHING with a spell he's got pre-set in there.

Please explain then why Mr.Godmode himself - Superman! became most popular, well known and probably overrated hero ever.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GodModeSue

Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kreuzritter » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:27 am

SilentMan wrote:
There's scarcely a more powerful hero in the Marvel U than the good Doctor himself, which is probably why nobody buys his stories. The guy can just about do ANYTHING with a spell he's got pre-set in there.

Please explain then why Mr.Godmode himself - Superman! became most popular, well known and probably overrated hero ever.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GodModeSue

for all superman's powers, silver age writers were surprisingly good at coming up with ways to stymie him in challenges godly physical might could't solve, plus morality plays and what not

to say nothing of kryptonite, magic. and worlds wth red suns

post crisis, most writers (barring those like jeph loeb) are usually pretty good at from overshadowing everyone else. heck, all-star superman was purposely written to challenge the notion one can't write a nigh-invincible pre crisis superman.

dr strange has no such excuse/care. since his books stopped being sold, he's become the walking plot device, elminster-in-a-good-way, the guy writers call in for exposition and to resolve plot holes. superman may be overpowered, but not even he can do anything with the blink of an eye like stange can and has often been seen doing
Kreuz Control Promotions: over 2800 builds served, and counting...
Crinoverse: Contributions

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:44 am

Yeah, that's part of the problem. Magic guys basically have Variable Power. And in spite of how invincible, powerful and strong Superman is, he can't just whip up an electrical storm for no reason, turn someone into stone, nullify their powers, or mind-wipe somebody (barring the "Superman 2 Kiss"). With Dr. Strange, it's all "By the Adjective Nouns of Identifying Name!", a hand-wave, and any power in the books is at his fingertips.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:55 am

THE SENTRY (Robert Reynolds)- Modern-Day Avengers
PL 14 (275)

ST 40 (+15) DEX 16 (+3) CON 38 (+14) INT 12 (+1) WIS 10 CHA 10

Skills:
Intimidate 8 (+8)
Notice 4 (+4)

Feats:
All-Out Attack, Attractive, Dodge Focus 4, Fast Overrun, Improved Grapple, Interpose, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Rage, Takedown Attack

Powers:
Super-Strength 14 (Feats: Bracing, Countering Punch, Groundstrike) [31]
Impervious Toughness 12 [12]
Immunity 10 (Aging, Life Support) [10]
Super-Senses 5 (Extended Hearing 5) [5]

"Power of a Million Exploding Suns"
Radiation Control 14 (Extras: Area-Burst, Penetrating) [60]
AP: Radiation Control 16 (Feats: Split Attack, Improved Critical 2) (Extras: Penetrating)
AP: Light Control 16
AP: Dazzle Visuals 13 (Extras: Area-Burst)
AP: Healing 10 (Extras: Resurrection)

Flight 18 [40]
Dynamic AP: Super-Speed 7
Dynamic AP: Deflect (Ranged Projectiles) 10
Space Travel 1 [1]

Saves:
Toughness +14, Fortitude +14, Reflex +10, Will +2

Combat:
Attack +8, Damage +15 (+16 Radiation Blast), Defense +4 (+8 Dodge), Initiative +3 (+24 with Super-Speed)

Drawbacks:
Normal Identity (Robert Reynolds) [-2]
Involuntary Transformation (The Void) [-1]

Complications:
Responsibility (The Void)

Abilities: 66 / Skills: 12--3 / Feats: 13 / Powers: 155 / Saves: 9 /Combat: 28 / Drawbacks: -3 (275)

-The Sentry's most interesting point is the 'hoax' creation, where he was supposed to be Stan Lee's "Lost" Marvel hero of the early 60s, who he just never got around to using because of his power levels. It turned out to be Marvel & Wizard hyping the crap out of his Limited Series run, and it seemed to work for the most part. Now, plenty of comics fans know who Sentry is. Trouble is, very few like him. If it was a limited series or two, it'd have been fine, but now Marvel basically has a GIANT Superman rip-off appearing in books on a regular basis, overpowering every team, and generally just being a lame character who's main job is to throw tantrums and whine about how much his life sucks.

-What's scariest about this build is that it's modern-day, emo & whiny, low-Will Save retard Sentry, and not the 'elite' Silver Age version. Yeah, his CRAPPY version takes up 275 points. Surprisingly he's only PL 12 without his Burst Area attack (I was shooting for PL 13), but that's because of general inaccuracy and the like; he's got more raw power than pretty much all my other builds. Flying Bricks like this are generally easy to stat, given that they're so generic that EVERYONE'S done enough builds of them to make half this crap default.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:02 am

And FINALLY, that's it for Avengers builds! Something like fifty-sixty guys, of varying power levels. Avengers tend to take a bit longer than most other heroes, because their top guys have multiple powers and feats, requiring a lot more research. The Teen Titans & JSA minor guys tended to only need a handful of stats for their more basic powers, but someone like Sersi requires nearly twenty minutes of just reading up on all the crap she can do. Not to mention all the iffy characters like Mantis & Crystal, with their uneven power levels.

Next up on "Jab's Builds"- Something I've been thinking about for a while, since Woodclaw gave me the info on all those European 90s loose cannon characters.

It's Jab's Builds- The '90s! A collection of characters from across fiction that best represent that weird decade, known mainly by comics fans as the one that brought us blood, explosions, claws, claws, guns, claws, glowing eyes, feet hidden by debris, stubble, trenchcoats, blood, claws and thongs as part of a female's requisite uniform!

Things'll start with the character that I believe BEST represents all that was gloriously bizarre about the 1990s, followed by the Euro charactesr Woodclaw showed me.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:34 am

Sounds interesting. :D
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:28 pm

"Backwards baseball cap? Leather costume? Gigantic ponytails? Spikes on every possible square inch? Yeah, I'm from the 90s, all right."

ADAM-X, THE X-TREME- X-Force Comics
PL 10 (150)
ST 18 (+4) DEX 24 (+7) CON 20 (+5) INT 12 (+1) WIS 10 CHA 12 (+1)

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+13)
Intimidate 6 (+7)
Notice 4 (+4)
Pilot 2 (+9)
Stealth 2 (+9)

Feats:
Accurate Attack, Acrobatic Bluff, Attack Specialization (Spikes) 2, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Dodge Focus 4, Evasion, Improved Critical (Thet'je Spikes), Improved Defense, Ranged Pin (Spikes), Takedown Attack

Powers:
"Shi'Ar Hybrid Senses" Super-Senses 1 (Extended Vision) [1]

"Thet'je Spikes" Device 2 (easy to lose) [6]
Strike 1 (Feats: Mighty) (Extras: Autofire 4) (7)
AP: Strike 2 (Feats: Mighty)

"Burn!"- "Igniting Oxygenated Blood"
Blast 10 (Extras: Penetrating, Perception, Area-Burst) (Flaws: Exposed Blood Only) [40]

Saves:
Toughness +5 (+7 D.Roll), Fortitude +7, Reflex +9, Will +4

Combat:
Attack +10 (+12 Spikes), Damage +4 (+5 Spike Throw, +6 Spikes, +10 Burning), Defense +9 (+13 Dodge), Initiative +7

Complications:
Responsibility (Finding His Origins)
Reputation (Too 90s For His Own Good)

Abilities: 36 / Skills: 20--5 / Feats: 16 / Powers: 47 / Saves: 8 / Combat: 38 (150)

-Starting the "1990s" series in my builds was easy- I looked to the character who best exemplified that decade. It took us as a society quite a while to finally nail down the "decade that had everything", but nearly ten years hence, it's become a bit more obvious. With the dying of bubblegum & kiddie stuff, the "Nirvana Era" meant everything had to be cooler, scarier, more bad-ass, and in the realm of comics, full of claws, swords and bleeding. Backwards ball-caps, ponytails, spikes on everyone, etc. were the name of the game.
-Adam-X (aka THE X-TREME, just in case his appearance wasn't 90s enough for you) was a character introduced by Fabian Nicieza & Tony Daniel for X-Force, intending the character to be revealed as the fabled "Third Summers Brother" (before we actually got one in Vulcan). He leapt around, fought X-Force a bit, then turned on his evil employer. Then in a later story he fought Shatterstar (himself among the most 90s characters ever created) on the whims of Arcade, before AGAIN turning on the villain in the end. This is pretty much how he spent every story he was in, I think, as the writers were SO desperate to get some of that "Image Vibe" going. He hasn't made an appearance in over ten years, which is a pretty good sign of how well the character went over.
-Adam-X has a fairly good array of Feats, and is a heavily-themed Accuracy/Defense guy rather than muscling it out or being tough, but he's no slouch in those areas either. His key tactic is to make tiny nicks and cuts on people with his "Thet'je" Spikes, shout "BURN!" while his eyes glow, and "Flash-Fry" them. While this attack seems devastating enough, and was certainly feared by every character who'd seen it before, it only KO'd X-Force for like a minute while he made his escape, so it doesn't seem to be any more powerful than a standard Blast. It's just that it doesn't MISS, and can hit dozens of guys at once once they've been cut, and he's good at cutting.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:20 am

Is he actually wearing a baseball cap to fight crime? :shock:
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Postby Thorpacolypse » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:55 pm

Libra wrote:Is he actually wearing a baseball cap to fight crime? :shock:

Yes, but it's a SH'IAR baseball cap and their team is the best in the galaxy!

Well, they did lose to the Durlan team but that's because they kept changing shapes during the games and messing with the strike zone, but that game is being reviewed under protest. :wink:
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:08 pm

Next up are the characters from "Gemini", an Italian-based team that Woodclaw was interested in me statting. Here's their group picture.

The cover of Europa #1: Front, Grip (below Front), Mandala (over front), Suede (in the backgrond, flying), Balance (in the backgrond, below Mandala)

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:09 pm

FRONT (Gabriel Caine)- Gemini Team Leader
PL 9 (130)
ST 14/24 (+2/+7) DEX 14 (+2/+7) CON 14 (+2/+7) INT 15 (+2) WIS 14 (+2) CHA 16 (+3)

Skills:
Bluff 5 (+8)
Computers 4 (+6)
Intimidate 5 (+8)
Knowledge (Current Events) 5 (+7)
Knowledge (Tactics) 4 (+6)
Notice 5 (+7)
Pilot 4 (+6)
Profession (Soldier) 4 (+6)
Sense Motive 4 (+6)
Stealth 4 (+6)

Feats:
Attack Focus (Ranged) 2, Dodge Focus 2, Improved Aim, Power Attack, Precise Shot, Leadership, Teamwork

Powers:
"Physiology Manipulation"
Enhanced Constitution 10 & Protection 2 [26]
Dynamic AP: Enhanced Strength 10
Dynamic AP: Super-Strength 2
Dynamic AP: Enhanced Dexterity 10
Dynamic AP: Enhanced Feats 2: Attack Specialization (Unarmed) 2
Dynamic AP: Regeneration 9 (Recovery Bonus 4, Injured 2, Staggered 2, Disabled 1)
Dynamic AP: Speed 3
Dynamic AP: Super-Senses 3 (Extended Sight, Hearing & Scent)

"R.E.V.O." Device 5 (easy to lose) (Feats: Restricted 2- Only Front) [17]
Blast 8 (Feats: Variable Descriptor 2) (18)
Datalink 5 (5)
Enhanced Skill 2 (Computers 8) (2)-- (25 points)

Saves:
Toughness +2 (+9 Max), Fortitude +5 (+10), Reflex +4 (+9), Will +5

Combat:
Attack +8 (+10 Ranged, +12 Feats), Damage +2 (+7 Max Strength, +8 REVO), Defense +8 (+10 Dodge), Initiative +2 (+7)

Abilities: 27 / Skills: 44--11 / Feats: 9 / Powers: 43 / Saves: 8 / Combat: 32 (130)

-At the request of Woodclaw, who's been kind enough to follow my picture-less builds for a while now, I'm statting up the characters from Gemini & EuroForce, two mid-90s teams that exemplify many of the bizarre concepts that decade presented. Front here is Gemini's leader, a BLATANT rip-off of WildCATS' Spartan in appearance (this was back when most of comics was trying to copy Image's early flash in the pan success), whose power was the ability to alter his body's physiology to match certain threats.
-He could use Variable Power, but that's a bit too complicated, since he has semi-limited options despite getting some Powers, Feats and boosts. In the end, I went for a simple Dynamic Array of physical-based powers that he could switch to at will. So he can spend 12 pp worth of stuff any way he likes from this crew, but it means he can never be as tough as he is strong, leaving him a fairly low-end PL 9. REVO's sentience is hard to display in a build (I gave it Computers skills to make up for some of it), so I just went for a Blasty gun thing with Variable Descriptor.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Roll Call”