The Combined DCU-Marvel Universe thread

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:56 pm

Bravo Greycrusader!

Bravo!

*clap clap clap*

Quicksilver is always a jerk.

Nice moments of unexpected like Wonder Man and Wonder Woman.

MightyDavidson
Zealot
Zealot

Post by MightyDavidson » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:05 pm

Good stuff, though I can't see Batman wasting rage on Moon Knight. Strong disapproval sure but even with Moon Knight's sordid past I can't see Batman getting worked up to anything more then chilly indifference about it.

Now given his friendship (and according to some writers his romantic feelings for) Wonder Woman, I can see him getting into a cold rage when Ares was allowed to join the team. After all he is the arch enemy of somebody Bats cares very deeply for. The whole Clor thing probably would've pissed him off too, since he'd consider Tony responsible for Bill Foster's death.

greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Post by greycrusader » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:21 pm

Conversely, the Avengers have always gotten along famously well with the Justice Society of America. Captain America fought alongside most of the founders at one time or another, even though the Invaders saw most of their action abroad. Cap fought soldier-to-soldier with the Hawks and Wildcat in Africa; CA helped Hourman safeguard the Miraclo formula from Nazi spies, with the pair discovering the links between the Super-Soldier Serum and Miraclo in the process (Prof. Erskine had once been a colleague of Rex Tyler). Hippolyta and Steve Rogers had actually shared a brief romance during WW II, despite the Amazon Queen's sapphic tendencies ("Lyta" and Steve shared a special dance at a Stark Industries ball when he first re-appeared in "Man's World.")

As mentioned, Thor always liked the fierce Hawkman, whose soul was that of a Berserker. He also got along more than well with Power Girl, though this was never serious.. Hank Pym enjoyed talking with Jay Garrick and Rex Tyler (he didn't feel threatened by their "lesser" scientific accomplishments, but he was't obnoxious about this). The Wasp wasn't threatened by the older lookng Black Canary I or Hippolyta; PG wasn't Hank's type anyway.

The logical Vision struck up an unusual friendship with Dr. Fate-a Lord of Order in human form. Tony was great chums with both Mr. Terrifics, two of the few human beings he could talk to as intellectual equals. Hawkeye loved the "old timers", especially Al Pratt and Sylvester Pemberton; he later acted like an uncle to the second Star Spangled Kid and Jakeem Thunder.

Perhaps it was a generational phenomenon; Earth's Mightiest Heroes also were on fine terms with the Titans/Teen Titans; it was only with their JL peers there was friction.

But Quicksilver was still mostly a jerk.
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:11 am

Thank you for listening to my request Charles. :D

Grey Crusader, keep up the Good Work. :wink:
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Sidious
Superhero
Superhero

Post by Sidious » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:07 am

based on all this I would love to see Pietro and Gardener in a team-up, let the hilarity ensue.
Live fast. Love hard. Die with your mask on.

greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Post by greycrusader » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:03 pm

What most people on Earth 777 (and us readers) forget is that neither Guy Gardner/Warrior or Quicksilver are the hot-headed fools they appear to be...at least, they're not just hot-headed fools.

Quicksilver inherited a measure of his father Magneto's intellect; not the full measure, not the scientific aptitude, but enough to make him tactically brilliant (next to only Cap and Iron Man in the Avengers) and capable of remarkable leaps of logical thinking. These traits are combined with neurological wiring that lets him think far faster than a normal human. The relative "dullness" of most people fuel his aggression and ego.

Likewise, Gardner is still impaired by the head injury/coma he suffered years ago, but his willpower is TREMENDOUS-Guy was the first choice to be Earth's green lantern, before Hal or John. Only circumstances conspired against him (he's still pissed about that). He had a rough upbringing where he mostly fended for himself and endured abuse, becoming people-savy and street-savy in the process. The other lanterns mostly had decent childhoods, even John who came from a stable, if low income home. Guy is pissed about that. Guy keeps his head in the worst conditions and is a better tactician than the other lanterns; his short-term memory and concentration impairments simply limit his ability to strategize long term. Hal and Alan are far better at thinking ahead, while John and Kyle are more creative in using their powers. Warrior always ends up taking more lumps in a fight as a consequence. Guy is pissed about that, too.

The two would wreak a lot of havoc, make numerous major mistakes, make everybody (heroes and villains alike) angry, and almost kill each other...but ultimately get the job done.

What would be left standing afterward is open to conjecture.
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:24 pm

:lol:

I've always thought that John Stewart was probably the best of Earth's Green Lanterns. Not the Greatest, neccessarily, but the most stable, reliable and dedicated to the Corps.

He'll come through ten times out of ten for his fellow men - and Thanagarians, Kryptonians, OAns, you get the drill. . .
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Psistrike
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Psistrike » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:19 am

Great work as always, everyone. Especially love the comment about Tony having an ongoing lawsuit with some comic book editors due to his recent protrayal. If dimensional travel to the real world from the Marvel Universe 616 reality was actually possible, Tony would probably have sued Marvel and own it lock stock and barrel by now. :lol:

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:56 am

I'm not sure even Tony would want to touch Marvel at the moment. :shock:

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:15 am

The Mandarin

If the Mandarin ever had another name then it is lost to the mists of time. He is older than he appears, his previous youth and longevity being the product of his magical rings. His actual age is uncertain but he's almost certainly close to a century old. A man who lived just long enough to see the fall of the Chinese Imperial State and the end of the Imperial system. As the last survivor of that regime, he journeyed to a 'mystical' valley and discovered his magical objects of power.

In truth, the Mandarin's glories are as much manufactured as anything else. The Mandarin is not even full blooded Chinese, let alone a Mandarin. As genetic tests will tell you, 8% of Asia is descended from Genghis Khan. It's not exactly a tremendously large accomplishment. He was the son of an extraordinarily wealthy Chinese merchant and a British noblewoman (an unlikely pairing that was probably the product of either love or money).

He grew up in luxury and corruption, watching the Chinese government's last legs as he himself became corrupt. Disabuse yourself of the view that the Mandarin also has some romantic views of restoring the Chinese Imperialist state. He cares nothing for the communists but he cares nothing for anyone but himself. If he was ever so inclined to take over the People's Republic of China, about the only thing that would change would be placing a Giant "M" over everything in sight.

The Mandarin, instead looks to Genghis Khan rather than Kublai Khan. He desires to conquer, not rule. Much like Julius Caesar was inspired by Alexander the Great, The Mandarin wishes to prove himself a greater man than even his ancestor. Unfortunately, he has a flaw that is even more crippling than the fact that he grew up in a time of super heroes. The Mandarin cannot lead. He can intimidate, coerce, and corrupt but he cannot inspire. As a certain movie would say "The ring has only one master and he does not share power." In this respect, he'll never be able to conquer the world.

In this respect, the Mandarin will probably never rule much more than a portion of China and Mongolia that stretches several thousand miles between the border. Enough that he is Lord of All He Surveys from the castle he rules and to carry on his experiments. The Communists hold the Mandarin in a sort of supernatural awe. Effectively, because until Iron Man, he totally destroyed all the armies that were sent to deal with him single handedly. The peasants around the Mandarin actually are rather fond of him. Not because he does anything, but because he doesn't. At most, he requires a tithe of servants and beautiful young women to be sent to him and his largess in the later does not remotely approach that of his legendary fore bearers.

In many respects, the Mandarin is an even more galling figure than Lex Luthor or Doctor Doom. At least Luthor has made a fortune off his brilliance. The Mandarin has horded his Malukan technology and passed it off as magic. At least Doctor Doom shares his discoveries with Latverians. The Mandarin would find the idea of wasting his "magic" on peasants to be beneath him. Building an army like Genghis Khan would require him to treat his subordinates with respect and inspire men to follow him. That would never do. The Mandarin dominates, the Mandarin rules, the Mandarin never befriends.

...And he wonders why he has made so little progress to conquering the world.

Amongst the super heroes of Earth-777, the Great Ten are built specifically as a defense against the Mandarin. Ultimately, the Chinese government is aware that should their force attack the Mandarin then he'd almost certainly kill them all and that's assuming that many didn't offer their services to him. A Western analogy about "poking sleeping Dragons" has so far prevented them from being sent against him. Black Adam has occasionally sought refuge with the Mandarin and is treated as an associate, even though he rarely dallies long (The Mandarin honestly repulses him). Lex Luthor covets Malukan technology but has no desire to deal with a terrorist as unstable as the Mandarin. Oddly, the Red Skull is one of the few individuals who is happy to deal with him and through him they've both dealt with HYDRA on favorable terms. Viper is one of the few women that the Mandarin respects.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:28 am

I suspect that Ra's Al-Ghul isn't too fond of the Mandarin. I'd be astonished if they didn't have some sort of Shadowy Cold War in progress.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:39 am

Yeah, my version of the Mandarin is amusing as it takes some of my version of the Iron Khan from Halt Evil Doer! so its a weird bit of re-pollination.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:42 am

I noticed. 8)

But it's a good kind of weird and at least Mandarin isn't replicating the Chinese Hells on Earth.

I think. . .

Psistrike
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Psistrike » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:06 pm

Interesting rendition of the Mandarian. Wonder what would happen if he ever changed his mind and descided he did want to rule. :shock:

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:10 pm

Psistrike wrote:Interesting rendition of the Mandarian. Wonder what would happen if he ever changed his mind and descided he did want to rule. :shock:
Unfortunately, under Rulership is "Destroy Tony Stark" and "Achieve Ultimate Mystical Power" so it'll be a bit before it reaches "Rethink Life. Give Malukan technology a chance to help others."