The Combined DCU-Marvel Universe thread

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:52 pm

:lol:
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:56 pm

Any requests after I do Freddie and Zauriel?

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:31 am

Hmmm. Might one request write-ups for the various Green Lanterns of Earth?

I'd be interested in seeing how you distinguished them. :D
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Tattooedman » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:16 am

Libra wrote:Hmmm. Might one request write-ups for the various Green Lanterns of Earth?

I'd be interested in seeing how you distinguished them. :D
I must agree with Libra on this one, your takes on them would be highly interesting to read.
World of Freedom Setting 3E

"Your ignorance is not my burden."
-- Chiun

DragoonDarkfire
Sidekick
Sidekick

Post by DragoonDarkfire » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:21 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing the entire Green Lantern Corps done. Or possibly an extension of the other Lantern corps.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:46 pm

Ummm. . . I'm not sure Charles has the time to do all of them, but perhaps he could have a go at characterising the Corps as an organisation and the Guardians as a Species?

If, of course, he has the time and inclination.

DragoonDarkfire
Sidekick
Sidekick

Post by DragoonDarkfire » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:51 pm

True ALL the corps seems like a daunting task (maybe one even I could try a pitch at) but I'm mostly asking this out of Curiosity as Green Lantern has pretty much been eating up my time recently.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:09 pm

Please do try taking a pitch. This thread isn't a monopoly and I for one - almost certainly Charles as well - would love to hear thoughts from any and all interested parties. :D

Especially if they've actually done the research first! :wink:

DragoonDarkfire
Sidekick
Sidekick

Post by DragoonDarkfire » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:02 pm

Hmmm... alright. I'll take it up.

The Lantern Corps in Heroic Earth

"With blood and rage of crimson red,
Ripped from a corpse so freshly dead,
Together with our hellish hate,
We'll burn you all--
That is your fate!"

"In blackest day, in brightest night,
Beware your fears made into light.
Let those who try to stop what's right,
Burn like his power... Sinestro's might!"

"In fearful day, in raging night,
With strong hearts full, our souls ignite
When all seems lost in the War of Light
Look to the stars...
For hope burns bright!

For hearts long lost and full of fright
For those alone in blackest night
Accept our ring and join our fight
Love conquers all
With violet light!

"In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil's might,
Beware my power...Green Lantern's light!"

The Darkness Beyond Time is a monstrous, amoral entity that seeks to bring the universe back into Chaos. It is a massive, limitless corrupting force that seeks nothing more than to consume and satisfy it's own amoral lust. Long has the universe been aware of it's dangerous and destructive powers and many races are sadly unaware of just how terrifyingly powerful it truly is.

All except the Grigori. Who are well aware of the Darkness Beyond time's threat as well as the day it will eventually seek to consume the entire universe. A day which they refer to as The Blackest Night.

The Grigori often worked as intermediates to try and help the universe but a small sect of them found power in working with the spectrums of light. In this they found certain spectrums to have an emotional connection to them and those who utilized the powers were affected by the light powers in strange ways. Those who were struch by Red Light, for example, became uncontrollable beasts who attacked anything in sight. Whereas those struck by Violet became obsessed with their loved ones to the point they would murder them and themselves in a "lovers ultimate sacrifice".

All except for Green. Green, the emotion of Willpower was entirely neutral in origin. Whoever utilized Green power would need to be courageous and willful. But they would remain almost entirely unaffected personality wise. The sect of Grigori who experimented with this decided that the best way of protecting the universe would be the implementation and harnessing of Green Light.

This sect of Grigori would go off to a planet called Oa and form the current "Guardians of the Universe". Abandoning all other emotions, these Grigori used their harnessing of Green Spectrum energy to create the first Green Lantern rings and eventually form the now Famous Green Lantern Corps.

Thus were the Green Lantern corps born!... but they would not be the last.

Violet Lantern Corps

Another sect of Grigori, finding their abandonment of emotion, to be distasteful and crude. How could you possibly save the the universe if you removed yourself from such basic human instinct? These Grigori would eventually go off to the planet Zamaron, a planet entirely covered in violet crystal, to create the Violet Lantern Corps.

Violet Lanterns in Heroic Earth (or should that be Universe?) are much like their DC counterparts. Obsessed women (almost all Violet Lanterns are female for some arbitrary reason) who either seek to spread love throughout the universe (via Mental Transformation) or end things like Sorrow or destruction through death and eternal imprisonment in Violet crystal.

Obviously they aren't quite the healthiest group of women out there.

Notable NPC's are the Star Sapphire Queen (PL 9 Grigorian) and a few other Violet Lanterns who seem to be a bit more maverick than the typical member.

Sinestro Corps

Taken at face Value. Putting Sinestro into Heroic Earth isn't really that hard. He was once the greatest of the Guardian's Green Lantern's who wound up utilizing hugely unnecessary force against the races of his space sector. Creating a totalitarian government with him as supreme authority.

This was until he was uncovered by Earth's Green Lantern Hal Jordan who had him imprisoned in the power battery. While imprisoned Sinestro convinced the being known as Parallax to help him escape. When Hal Jordan's home of Coast City was destroyed, Parallax was able to crawl into Hal's ring, instill fear in his heart and control him until he destroyed the entire Green Lantern corps.

When Hal was revived some time later and the Corps was reformed. Sinestro had escaped and fought Hal Jordan once again. Hal succeeded and Sinestro fled. Now he was using Parallax and his knowledge of the Guardian's corps to make his own.

Sinestro's corps are mostly a group of murderers, lunatics and demented. All with one thing in common: they all have the power to instill great fear in those who face them.

More to come later...

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:06 pm

Cool, might be better in the HED! thread. But quite awesome DDF.

(DDF is my Co-DM in my HED! game, btw, guys. One of the most creative people I know)

Loved what you did with the Darkness Beyond Time.

DragoonDarkfire
Sidekick
Sidekick

Post by DragoonDarkfire » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:12 pm

Thanks. I guess Darkness was just the best parallel I could find with the whole Black Lantern thing.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:50 am

It certainly makes a lot of sense. :D

I think you should post more, if you're a co-GM with Charles. After all, he could use another creative type on the HED! thread - he's had to make do with me for far too long. :wink:

Ares
Hero
Hero

Post by Ares » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:16 am

Charles Phipps wrote:Ask and you shall recieve.

Captain Marvel

Billy Batson sometimes feels like he's the only person who gets being a superhero. He's been one since he's been eight years old and now that he's sixteen, moving on seventeen, he's pretty certain he's more experienced than the vast majority of these self-styled superheroes that show up and announce themselves to acclaim before proceeding to crash and burn in their own angst.

Really, Billy has outlasted most of them. Once, a long time ago, it seemed that it was only him and Superman, Wonder Woman, Captain America and a few others were the only real superheroes around the block. In fact, he was even briefly more popular than Superman. Now, he's a bit more of an obscure figure but if you ask who the World's Mightiest Mortal is. You don't answer the Hulk, you say the name of the Wizard who granted Billy his powers.

The wisdom of Solomon; the strength of Hercules; the stamina of Atlas; the power of Zeus; the courage of Achilles; and the speed of Mercury. Few really get just how powerful that makes him. It was to Hercules' annoyance when the Avenger decided to test the man who supposedly had "his" strength and promptly got his posterior handed to him. As the Mighty Thor says "Young Batson is one of the few mortals that the Gods have chosen very wisely to bestow their powers upon and I am proud to fight by his side."

Captain Marvel has frequently been treated as being somewhat of a wet blanket. Quite a few people have asked if he's from an exceptionally religious family since he, his sister, and Freddy seem to be a bit naive compared to the other heroes out there. Billy, on the contrary, is anything but. You can't have faced Nazis, thanks to some wonderful time travel escapades of Doctor Sivana's machines gone wrong, and be naive. Billy just has something that he thinks other heroes should remember; the integrity to know that he has an example to set.

You know that you're a Galahad figure when even Superman occasionally feels guilty in your presence.

Currently, Billy is holding the power of Shazam in custody until his old mentor's ghost safely returns from the afterlife. Billy isn't a wizard and has no intentions of becoming the Sorcerer Supreme, which Shazam once was before turning that position over to the Ancient One. However, his area of concern is protecting the universe from creatures like Sabbac and other terrible forces that few superheroes ever really face. Superman, for all his might, is fairly helpless against something like Neron but each blow of Shazam's Champion burns with equal parts righteous fury and the might of the divine.

In truth, Billy is just happy to be a superhero and has managed to keep Fawcett City pretty clean of figures like Lex Luthor or the Joker. Even Doctor Sivanna has more or less given up trying to take over his old home and has moved on to greener pastures outside of the man's city. It's an accomplishment few heroes can manage; to have actually made their home city safe. It lead the slightly more ambitious Freddy Freeman to move to Las Vegas instead in search of greener pastures.

There's two things that do seriously annoy Billy.

The first is the fact that his nonconfrontational attitude keeps getting mistaken by people for him being a pushover. A man who can go 1-1 in fights with Superman and Thor, who can calm down the Hulk, and has defeated the Ruler of Hell with the purity of his soul is not someone you want to get on the bad side of. Yet people like Guy Gardner keep trying to get into his face, Mar-vell and his various descendants take his codename (something he was very happy to let them use but they might have ASKED), and people constantly try and put down his strength or attitude. It's enough to try even his infinite patience.

The second is the fact that there's too many people who try and go after his sister. Mary Marvel is slightly less noble than Billy. Given that's roughly equivalent to saying slightly less noble than King Arthur, that's not saying much. Still, it's the one area Billy stops being the nice guy. Mary Marvel's brief brainwashing by Darkseid is something he doesn't like to speak of. However, it lasted only long enough for Billy Batson to go to his "old Pal" Orion and request a Boom Tube. Darkseid has been defeated before....never was it so thoroughly one sided. Nor was Billy's promise that if Darkseid ever hurt his family again, Billy would take him to the Source and then trap him in the Light forever. A fate even worse than death for a being of pure evil.

It's always the Nice Ones...
Thank you, thank you, a thousand times thank you. It's refreshingly nice to see someone who actually gets Captain Marvel.

Ares
Hero
Hero

Post by Ares » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:06 am

Libra wrote:Thoughts on Dr Sivana

Thaddeus Bodog Sivana was born in 1940, right at the start of what is today dubbed The Golden Age. During his early life he became a fan of Republic Serials, Universal Monster Movies, B-Movies and Pulp Periodicals to a degree not seen until the evolution of the geek some forty-odd years later. He remains unusually fond of them to this day – and he always liked the villains best. Dr Sivana was a Mad Scientist Fanboy.

This explains a great deal.

Imagine how dull it must have been for young Thaddeus as he grew up. By the time he was old enough to seriously work on his life’s dream of becoming a Scientist (He always uses the capital letter. You can hear it from a mile off) the Golden Age was over.

Thaddeus graduated from University without honours largely because he advanced ideas that most scientists of the time could barely even comprehend and so ridiculed. This meant no-one would employ either Thaddeus or his science. Thaddeus therefore had a perfect opportunity, to “SHOW THEM ALL!” by defying the laws of science, physics and simple logic in flamboyant fashion.

Unfortunately the Golden Age was over. His idols – Geniuses (another pronounced capital) like the Ultra-Humanite – were either dead or locked up. Any who attempted to aspire to their mantle would be swiftly locked up – and worse mocked. If there was one thing Thaddeus could never face it was mockery.

So young Dr Sivana – at least he had earned that Title at graduation – tried to find purpose in the world, a mad scientist thwarted not by the actions of the long-retired godlike costumed champions of yesteryear, but by the smothering normality of a mundane world. He found no real purpose in life, merely goals.

He desired wealth – so he created a company that swiftly made him a fortune (Though he was an indifferent businessman and could never quite succesfully reconcile profit with the ethics of Mad Science, which rather smothered his creativity). He wanted power – so he claimed it (Though Fawcett City was no blank slate like Metropolis or cesspool of corruption like Gotham and Thaddeus was a minor power broker at best in local politics). He desired the most beautiful woman he could find – so he wooed her, wed her and bred children from her to ensure his posterity (No, I don’t know how he did it either).

But it was boring. He didn’t want to CONQUER THE WORLD through politics or finance like that whippersnapper plutocrat Luthor, he wanted Thrills! Spectacle! Excitement! Most of all he wanted an adversary who could challenge him. The various constables, g-men and peeved political agitators blurred after a while and were temporary irritants at best, vulnerable to bribe, blackmail and the power of Science Sivana had at disposal. They were no Champions of Virtue, they were barely even heroes. Dishwater dull the lot of them!

Then Captain Marvel arrived. Though excited at the prospect of duelling with an honest-to-goodness Superhero, at first Sivana dismissed him as a Big Red Cheese, another of the tedious whirl of do-gooders who vexed his without offering a real challenge. No-one was that simon-pure a hero anymore, alas. Sivana tried to handle the Captain the old-fashioned way with thugs, heavy artillery and good old blatant corruption. All bounced off the Captain and the attempts to corrupt him didn’t even seem to register.

Sivana was enchanted. At last a Real HERO to challenge him! An opponent worthy of the Calibre of Doctor Thaddeus Bodog Sivana!!! At last the opportunity to build the Giant Robots he’d been dreaming of for Years!!!!!!

Dr Sivana found his first bout of megalomaniacal laughter a thoroughly enjoyable therapeutic experience, built the robots, failed, bankrupted his company and devoted himself to the role of Supervillain with the fervour of a dervish.

He’s never looked back since and his proudest boast is that “When those mundane pettifoggers speak of Mad Scientists, they think of ME!”

(Put bluntly Sivana is as mad as a Hatter and thoroughly enjoys being a Mad Scientist. He scoffs at Lex Luthor’s complaints that he would have been the saviour of humanity if Superman hadn’t shown up to distract him from his Great Work - and is positively eager to point out that if Lex Luthor wanted to save the world and make a profit doing it he would have gotten over the adulation accorded to Superman - but denied to him - a long time ago.

Dr Sivana considers being a supervillain a lifestyle choice and has never regretted his decision to be Mad Scientist. He’s too busy living the dream of any sensible madman with an IQ score bigger than his bodyweight and a grudge against humanity.)
*wipes away a tear* I'm sorry, that was just beautiful. Carry on.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:27 am

Thank you. :wink:

It's good to see you back posting on the forums Ares. :D