Input Jack's Flintlock Fantasy Setting (NEW RACES)

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
input.jack
Comrade
Comrade

Input Jack's Flintlock Fantasy Setting (NEW RACES)

Post by input.jack » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:32 pm

Greetings! This thread is to be the home of my work on an original campaign setting, the World of Taeryth (alternately called the Flintlock Fantasy setting). Inspired by the Horatio Hornblower novels, various pirate movies, and other such stuff, the setting is intended to be an alternate world where Humans, Elves, Orks, and Goblins have advanced to the point of having sailed around the world, begun exploration of the New World, and all of Aeryssia (the European equivalent) is embroilled in the revolutionary upheaval of the nation of Aquitairre, and its subsequent takeover by the military genius Batiste.

There are a LOT of "close parallels", such as Batiste being a stand-in for Napoleon Bonaparte, and Aquitairre and Brittaria being stand-ins for France and England (respectively). This is purely intentional. But things are not always what they seem, and hopefully once I get the groundwork laid out you can discover some of these things for yourselves.

I hope you enjoy the setting :)
Alignments
Basic Character Gen
Equipment
Feats for FLF
House Rules
Introduction to the World of Taeryth
Map of Aeryssia
Skills

FLINTLOCK FANTASY RACE TEMPLATES
Humans
Arima
Centaurs
Deathless: Cadavrous and Skeletals
D'jareel
Dwarves
Elfkind: Vale Elf "Alvar"
Elfkind: Wild Elves
Fauns
Goblinoid: Goblins
Goblinoid: Orks
Half Elves "Aldray"
Half Orks "Kesh'ann"
Halflings
Tauren
Troll "Olog-hai"
Var'dri

FLINTLOCK FANTASY CREATURES AND PEOPLE
Humans - Basic archetypes
Last edited by input.jack on Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:07 pm, edited 33 times in total.
My fingers and my brain work at different speeds. Please forgive my typoes

My Flintlock Fantasy thread
My DC Thread
My Art Thread

input.jack
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Input Jack's Flintlock Fantasy Setting: Taeryth

Post by input.jack » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:34 pm

Here are the initial House Rules for the FLintlock Fantasy game.

House Rules for FLF

Tough Scale
The Tough scale for opponents lets the GM set a small gradation of scale between Minion and Heroic opposition. The Tough scale works as follows:

• When they are hit, Tough scale characters get to make a Toughness save.
o If they fail by 1 or 2, they take a bruise/injury.
o If they fail by 3 or 4, they take bruise/injury and are stunned for 1 round.
o If they fail by 5 or 6, they are staggered/disabled and are stunned for 1 round.
o If they fail by 7 or more they are unconscious/dying.
• If a Tough scale character has a critical hit confirmed against them, they are immediately put into the unconscious/dying category without the benefit of a Toughness save.
• Heroic characters may take 10 on their attack die when attacking Tough scale characters.
• Tough characters can have bouts of phenomenal luck. Therefore, a natural 20 is an automatic success for a Tough character.
• Feats that work better against Minion scale characters, such as Takedown Attack, work against Tough characters exactly as they would Minion scale characters.

Skills
The Flintlock Fantasy game uses slightly modified skills. These are explained in the SKILLS section.
1 Character Point buys 5 Skill Ranks.

Feats
The Flintlock Fantasy game uses an expanded Feats list. These are explained in the FEATS section.

Powers

Deflection
Categories are Projectile (1 Pt/rank), Energy (2 pts/rank), Mental (3 pts/rank)

Healing
PF: Fast Healing: The recipient of the Healing is not required to lose a Move Action.

Impervious and Penetrating
Can be bought either as Power Feats, or as an Extra, as desired. This allows greater granularity. Impervious ranks should not exceed PL.

RULES CHANGES

Attacks of Opportunity
The Flintlock Fantasy game uses Attacks of Opportunity, as explained in the Mastermind’s Manual p. 109.

Critical Confirmation
When a “Critical Hit” is rolled, it is treated as a Threat. A second roll to Confirm must be made. If the second roll would have hit the target, a Critical Hit is scored. Otherwise it is a normal hit.

PL Shifting
Only half your PL is allowed to be “shifted” between Toughness / Defense, and Attack / Damage

Tactical Movement
Characters have a base tactical (mapped combat scale) Move of 30’, or 6” on a map using 5-foot squares. Movement Powers not rated in Feet grant a bonus of 25’ (or 5”) of tactical movement per Rank. Thus Flight 10 gives a character (10 x 5 + 6 =) 56 squares of tactical movement on the battle mat, per Move Action. Non-combat speeds remain unchanged.

My DC Thread
My Art Thread

input.jack
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Input Jack's Flintlock Fantasy Setting: Taeryth

Post by input.jack » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:06 pm

CHARACTER CREATION

While the full rules for Character Creation will take some time to post, here are the basics.

Player Characters are built on PL8, 150 points.

The campaign uses a slightly altered Skills list, and an expanded Feat list. These will be posted shortly.

Players are encouraged to create characters from the "civilized races" of Aeryssia. ("Aeryssia" is the equivalent of Europe). Stats for the more common Races will be provided here.

You must pay for any gear which grants a Skill Bonus, or affects your combat stats, such as armor and weapons. A list of standard armor and weapons will follow. All gear must fit within PL caps, with the exception of magical Devices, which allow you to exceed your PL caps by 2 points. More detail will follow.

Magic and other Powers will follow certain campaign guidelines, which will also be detailed in subsequent posts.

These are the basic groundrules for character creation. :)

My DC Thread
My Art Thread

input.jack
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Input Jack's Flintlock Fantasy Setting (Intro)

Post by input.jack » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:50 pm

A MAP OF AERYSSIA

This is a general map of Aeryssia, noting the major nations and areas. A "Gazetter" will follow :)

My DC Thread
My Art Thread

input.jack
Comrade
Comrade

Post by input.jack » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:18 pm

WHATS THE MEANING OF ALL THIS?

I suppose that I should explain the origins and appeal of the Flintlock Fantasy campaign.

One fine day, I was looking around for something new to run for my game group. I wanted to run something in the Fantasy genre, but I didnt want to run a "typical" D&D style medieval fantasy game. Not that theres anything wrong with them; its just that Id done that several times before, and I didnt really have anything new to bring to the setting.

The World of Taeryth, the Flintlock Fantasy game world, came about because it allows you to have fantastic adventures in a far more complicated society than most medieval fantasy games provide. Characters in the Flintlock Fantasy campaign have undertaken adventures as professional monster hunters, ruin explorers, agents of the Crown of Brittaria, and as freebooting privateers among the Skull Islands. Some of the gorgeous artwork by master artist Bernie Wrightson also helped to inspire the setting. So did the incredible adventures of Horation Hornblower, in both the made-for-cable movies and the C.S.Forster books. in addition, movies such as Brotherhood of the Wolf, Sleepy Hollow, Pirates of the Carribean (a perfect Flintlock Fantasy movie if theyd just come out and admitted that Kiera Knightley is an Elf), and even the Disney version of Beauty and the Beast served to inspire me!

So I conceived of a world based on the tumultuous era of the Napoleonic Wars. Characters can be free adventurers (referred to as "Hotspurs"), or be agents of the Crown. One character can be a privateer sailing for Brittaria, despite a death-warrant for mutiny on her hea, and another can be a Knight of the Realm in gleaming armor. A third character can be a Priest of the Church of Brittaria, another a deposed Aquitairrian noblewoman trying to avoid the clutches of the Liberationists and the guillotine.

All of the characters described above are actual characters in the game, and adventure together!

WHAT IS DIFFERENT FROM A NORMAL FANTASY GAME?

The immediate changes are the importance of the political situation, and the dichotomy of the far more civilized, law-based societies than are found in most fantasy games, and the lawlessness of the regions torn by the ravages of the war against the tyrannical leader of the Aquitairrian Militarist movement, Grande Marshalle Alexandre Batiste; a brilliant tactical general of seemingly inhuman skill and insight, who took control of the Aquitairrian military when the Liberationists overthrew the King, and has recently taken control of the entirety of Aquitairre.

In most of Aeryssia, people live by laws. For example, it is illegal in most places to kill someone simply because of his shape and form. If you meet an Ork on the road, you cant attack him just for being an Ork. This is a big difference from most fantasy games! Likewise, a Player Character Ork can fit mroe easily into society. In most of Aeryssia, Orks and Goblins are familiar sights in the armed forces of the civilized lands, marching side by side with Humans, Halflings, Elves, and Dwarves, all comrades in arms.

Also, quite honestly, I was wanting to run a game where there were swords, spells, and firearms. When I began this campaign, back in the early 90s, that idea was not as widespread as it is now.

This game originally ran in 2nd Edition D&D. Then in 3.0, 3.5, and eventually in Hero System. None of those were -quite- the right fit. Now, with Warriors and Warlocks, I think that Ive found the right system for the setting :)

My DC Thread
My Art Thread

Dirigible
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Dirigible » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:18 pm

input.jack wrote:Image
Why, that's the subtlest map I've seen since Warhammer :)

input.jack
Comrade
Comrade

Post by input.jack » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:32 pm

I never claimed to be a cartographer. ;)

In point of fact, I originally had a much less recognizable map. But my Players requested that since the game was based on several real-world aspects, we shoudl use the real-world map to make it easier to remember what was what.
Last edited by input.jack on Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My DC Thread
My Art Thread

input.jack
Comrade
Comrade

Post by input.jack » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:33 pm

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF FLINTLOCK FANTASY!

Lord Pemburton stood his ground, feet braced apart as he took the smashing axe-blow on his shield. His sword flashed out in a wide arc, and one of his attackers staggered back. The large, hairy creatures snapped and snarled at him, their small black eyes gleaming as they growled and, quite disconcertingly, chuckled. Lord Pemburton’s position at the head of the bridge was preventing the hyena-headed marauders from reaching his two young companions. Although outnumbered, Lord Pemburton was confident in the outcome of this encounter. His own sword-arm was practiced, his plate armor stout, his cause just in returning the two youths to the orphanage. The High Lord would see him through!

Behind the Brittarian knight, young Vance worked quickly to reload. He forced himself to remain calm; Lord Pemburton’s presence helped greatly. The lanky colonial boy concentrated on the task at hand; tearing open the paper cartridge, pouring a pinch of the fine grey powder into the pan of the musket and clamping it down, followed by the rest of the powder down the barrel of the weapon. The powder was followed by the paper and the lead ball, and rammed down to the bottom with the scouring-rod. Bringing the long, heavy musket up to his shoulder, Vance braced it firmly and pulled the hammer back. His grey eyes narrowed as he took aim, just the way the Father had taught him. Both eyes open. Vance saw that one of the Gnolls was about to rush Lord Pemburton, and while the young Aldray lad had no doubts that Lord Pemburton could handle the situation, he also knew that should the knight be knocked aside, it would allow at least one of the monsters to make a dash across the bridge, and possibly reach the child they were protecting. Vance was not going to let that happen.

A loud crack and the flash of his musket obscured Vance’s senses for a moment, and when the smoke cleared he was proud to see that his shot had, indeed, stopped the Gnoll in its tracks. It staggered back, clutching its chest as dark blood flowed down its hide. The three remaining creatures fell back, snarling. They could see that they were no match for the shining knight and his well-armed companion. The tasty morsels of child-flesh they had craved would not be theirs today.

“Well done, boy!” Lord Pemburton said encouragingly. “Well done! I daresay you have the makings of a fine scout. Sharp eyes, to have seen them sneaking up on us like that, the blighters. Well done, indeed!”

“Thank you, Sir.” Young Vance replied. “Father Adrian will be glad to hear that the time he’s spent training me hasn’t gone completely to waste.”

“You’re hurt, Sir.” The golden-haired girl softly observed. Charlotte gently lay her hand on the knight’s arm and closed her eyes, whispering a quiet prayer. Vance watched as a soft glow emanated from Charlotte’s hand, and Lord Pemburton’s wounds were healed.

“Charlotte, dear girl! You never told me that you were blessed with the Gift of Orisons of the High Lord!” Pemburton exclaimed.

Charlotte smiled shyly. “Vance is not the only one whom Father Adrian has been tutoring, Uncle.”

“Well, let us return with all haste to Port Fredrick”, said Lord Pemburton. “I must congratulate him on his excellent tutelage. The Church of Brittaria is fortunate, indeed, to have such a fine representative as he, here in the New World.”

WHAT IS FLINTLOCK FANTASY?

At its heart, the Flintlock Fantasy setting is a world of fantasy, magic, and monsters, where technology has advanced to the point that firearms are available to adventurers. For years, gamers have been incorporating firearms into fantasy games; the idea is nothing new.

But Taeryth, the world of the Flintlock Fantasy setting, differs from most other campaign settings in that it is not a medieval fantasy game. Instead, the world has a more colonial-era flavor. While loathsome monsters, Demons, and creatures most foul prowl the night, and the Lords and Ladies still hold sway in the courts of Kings, the winds of social change have begun to blow. The major powers of the old continent of Aeryssia have settled colonies across the seas in the so-called “New World”, and these colonies have made their parent nations wealthy and powerful beyond belief. But the constant sea traffic has given rise to roving pirates. The exploitation of the colonies is leading to unrest there. Nations war with nations, and within themselves over both political and religious issues. The world is changing….

A BRIEF HISTORY, AND CURRENT EVENTS

The Fifth Age has been shaped by three major upheavals. The first of these was technological. A Dwarven tinker managed to devise a way to safely mine the volatile grey material called “firestone”. Veins of this brittle material run through the earth, and had posed a threat to everyone seeking to excavate. A pick or shovel striking a vein of firestone could ignite the substance, sending flames shooting through the ground and destabilizing the dig-site. Often the miner would be scalded, or occasionally even killed by the explosion. But the Dwarf Brin Stonemaster managed to devise a means to use water-wheel driven hoses to mine out firestone using pressurized water. And another discovery was not far behind.

Powdered firestone was many, many times more powerful than the rock in its natural state. Within a decade of this discovery, strip-mines dedicated to the sole purpose of mining firestone were in operation, to provide powder for the newest weapon of war; cannons. Cannons, and the subsequent invention of arquebuss, and then muskets, have altered warfare. No longer do the knights rule the field. Now commoners trained in the use of the musket can determine the tides of battle, although firestone and the weapons to use it remain expensive. But the effect on society, of a commoner being able to unseat a knight with a single shot from a musket, began the erosion of the old beliefs that the Nobility were somehow “better” than the masses.

The second upheaval was religious. The Latinian High Holy Church was rocked to its foundations when the King of Brittaria declared that his nation was no longer subject to the authority of the Prelate of the Latinian Church. He formed the Church of Brittaria, and devout High Holy Church-goers awaited the imminent destruction of Brittaria, and the stripping of power from its Priests.

It never came. The Priests of the Church of Brittaria continued to be able to channel divine power, to heal, to cure, and to do all of those things which the threat of losing upon excommunication from the High Holy Church had kept people obedient to the will of the Arch Prelate.

The success of the Church of Brittaria in throwing off the yoke of the High Holy Church inspired others to do the same. The Eastern Continent saw the rise of a new faith, called Ismir. The Eastern Continental people of Aru’lan had long ago been conquered by knights faithful to the High Holy Church, and their own original religion, which had been based on worshipping powerful elemental beings called Djinn, was replaced with the doctrine of the High Holy Church. Their old religion lost, they embraced the new faith of Ismir, as preached by the prophet Zaphar. Through a war conducted under cover of night, the Ismiri cast out the Aeryssian agents of the HHC, and took back their lands. Their success, in turn, inspired other faiths to splinter off, and the Reformationist Movement was born. Now Lexites and Hobbesians have joined the Church of Brittaria in redefining the relationship between the people and the High Lord. Yet the Ismir and the followers of the High Lord grew apart, and now they fight ferociously.

The third upheaval was geographical. A group of brave explorers discovered the existence of entire new continents to the west of old Aeryssia. They dubbed this vast wilderness “the New World”. News of the New World spread like wildfire, and soon the great nations of Aeryssia were rushing to gain a foothold there. Brittaria, Aquitairre, and Madrillia were at the forefront of this movement. Aquitairre established colonies far in the north, in the endless and gigantic forests. Brittaria’s colonies were settled almost directly across the sea from Brittaria itself. Madrillian colonies were placed farther south, in the jungles of the southern continent, where they encountered both vast wealth, and strong resistance from the powerful natives.

These events have changed the face of the world. Riches flow from the New World to Aeryssia, upsetting the balance of power and making Brittaria, Aquitairre, and Madrillia the most powerful nations on the continent.

But all is not sunshine and roses for these nations. Madrillia maintains its colonial holdings at the cost of brutal and totalitarian controls. Its colonists are virtually its slaves, and this has caused the other nations to shy away from alliances with the increasingly-arrogant Madrillians.

A decade ago, Brittaria’s crown was overthrown by a parliamentarist upheaval, lead by a radical Foundationalist minister named Charles Foster Orwell. While originally most of the populace was behind the transfer of authority from the Crown to the elected Parliament, the increasingly oppressive and conservative Foundationalist movement of religious zealots finally turned the people of Brittaria against the usurper, and there was an open Royalist movement, which returned the rightful King to the throne. But during the decade of Orwellian rule, the King’s family suffered tragedy and loss. The King himself has recently passed on, leaving the fate of the nation in the hands of his young, illegitimate daughter, hastily acknowledged as rightful heir upon the King’s deathbed. Now young Queen Gwendolynne tries to maintain the stability of Brittaria against her political rivals, while casting an eye across the Channel to the riotous goings on in once-elegant Aquitairre.

The ancient nation of Aquitairre was plunged into a bloody civil war by a group of revolutionaries calling themselves the Liberationists. The people of Aquitairre split into three factions; the Royalists who upheld the reign of King Valois as being rightful and true, the Liberationists who sought to depose him and free the people from “feudal tyrrany”, and the Militarist forces who followed the lead of Grande Marshalle Alexandre Batiste. The Militarists withdrew to their fortresses under Batiste’s orders, while the countryside and even the very streets of Palais, capital city of Aquitairre and once the jewel of the world, ran red with blood. Whipped to a frenzy by the Liberationists, the wild mobs of Aquitairre drove out or killed its largely Half-Elven aristocracy, then turned on itself in a bloody Terror. Anyone with a drop of Elven blood was accused of being a traitor to the Liberationist cause. The simply having the wrong enemies could get someone accused. And accusations led to the Bloody Thirteen; the ghastly guillotines, each with its own name and “personality”.

The Liberationist Uprising occurred only two years past. In that time Aquitairre has become almost unrecognizable. Former lawyer and scholar Dantes has used his influence to redraw almost every facet of Aquitarrian life, from the names of the days of the week to the calendar used. Desdemona Sans Pitie was placed on the Committee by the new Crimson Prelate of the revolutionary church, the Church of the Blood of the Marytrs, also known as the Crimson Church. The leader of the Liberationists, the idealist Phillipe St. Reynard, has become overwhelmed; unable to fathom how things could have gotten so far out of control. He had relied on his “allies” on the Committee for Public Safety; the decadent, self-indulgent hedonist Dantes, the filthy, brilliant, and disquieting Mazat, and the beautiful and frightening Desdemona Sans Pitie, who is in truth a Succubus!

Recently St. Reynard has had to make an alliance with Grande Marshalle Batiste; the tall, lean general whose insight into tactics seems almost supernatural. Batiste seemed to come out of nowhere, taking the reigns of power as though it was his birthright. Now Batist’s forces march across Aeryssia, as the brilliant general seeks to unite all of Aeryssia under his rule!

Meanwhile, an Ismiric nation called Tarkesh has arisen, populated by Humans, Orcs, and Half Orcs (called Kesh’ann). They seek to conquer the entire continent of Aeryssia, just as Aeryssian knights conquered them centuries before. They also threaten their fellow Ismiri to their south, believing that these more peaceful Aru’lan nations are not following the “true will of the Almighty One”. Despite the mutual origins of their faiths, the Tarkesh are determined to obliterate the teachings of the High Lord, twisting the original tenets of Ismir into near unrecognizability.

And in the New World, colonists of Brittaria consider themselves less and less to be “loyal subjects of the Crown”, and more and more to be independent peoples of their own. The Aeryssian outlook toward exploitation of natural resources has brought the colonists into conflict with some of the New World natives, who maintain a more balanced relationship with their world. The massive Taurens, the agile Wild Elves, and the native Human and Ork tribes all resist the exploitation of their lands by the Aeryssians. Between the Colonies and the Old World, pirate ships glide across the waters, preying upon shipping, sometimes for pure profit, and sometimes under “letters of marque”, as agents of one of the Aeryssian powers acting to disrupt the shipping of their rivals.

TECHNOLOGY AND FIREARMS IN THE WORLD OF TAERYTH

As mentioned in the title, one of the distinguishing characteristics of the Flintlock Fantasy setting is the presence of technology. Magic is an amazing thing; it can alter reality and change the flow of events. But learning to master and control magic is a difficult, time-consuming process that is literally impossible for most people to successfully attempt. Magic is also extremely expensive.

Technology, on the other hand, allows the ordinary person to do things which would otherwise be beyond their reach. A person need not understand why a device functions in order to use it. All she needs to know is how to operate it. Most devices are simple to learn. Technology allows even peasants to emulate the effects of magic at a fraction of the cost, and with virtually no training. Thus, given sufficient time, even a world in which magic exists may eventually see the coming of technology.

In general, the world of Taeryth is comparable to Earth in the late eighteenth century. Thus, the smooth-bore musket is the most common ranged weapon seen on the battlefield. (Rifled barrels have not yet come into being). Artillery and cannons have made simple stone walls and moats ineffective defenses against an attacking force. Yet unlike our world, in which swords and plate armor were abandoned once the superior penetration of firearms was made apparent, in the world of Taeryth there are true monsters. Monsters which cannot be stopped by a single shot from a musket. Swords and armor are still in common use, although most Knights now wear half-suits of plate, or chain shirts fitted to resemble a tailored vest. So much has changed, and yet so much is the same.

My DC Thread
My Art Thread

daniel_ream
Zealot
Zealot

Post by daniel_ream » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:53 am

Very nice. I love the concept of Edwardian fantasy myself, although I've had enough elves, dwarves and orcs to last me several lifetimes.

If you can find it, you really, really want to find copies of D.M. Cornish's Monster Blood Tattoo and Lamplighter. Best fictional examples of flintlock fantasy I've seen, and some amazing world-building.
"This is a superhero game. We are Not at Home to Mr. Physics."
Daniel's Thread of Retro Gaming Conversions (3E version)
Carthago delenda est; forum requirere lenitor.

input.jack
Comrade
Comrade

Post by input.jack » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:38 pm

HORSE Animal
Horses are domesticated animals used for riding, pulling vehicles, and as beasts of burden. Horses are large and strong, but also relatively docile and obedient, once trained.

Draft Horses are used for heavy labor, such as pulling freight wagons, plows, and so on. Riding Horses are trained to carry a rider in the saddle, and are also often used to pull carts, wagons, chariots, and the like. Chargers are “light War Horses”; built like a Riding Horse but trained for combat. Destriers are “heavy War Horses”; bred for size, strength, and sure-footedness, and trained to carry a rider in battle. A horse that has not been war-trained will spook easily, and will want to run from predators, loud noises, or combat.
DRAFT HORSE PL 5, MINION 2
Str 26 Dex 8 Con 20 Int 2 Wis 10 Cha 6
SKILLS
Notice 4 (+4), Survival 1 (+1)
FEATS
Attack Specialization (Unarmed) 1
POWERS
(16) Growth 5 (PF: Innate; XT: Duration – Continuous; [Permanent])
(2) Protection 2
(1) Speed 1
(2) Super Senses 2 (Scent, Extended Hearing 1)
*Stats given include: [Large Size: +10 Str, +5 Con, -1 Att/Def, +4 Grapple Mod, -4 Stealth, +2 Intimidate, 10’ Space, 10’ Reach, +5 Str for Carrying (Str 31), +5’ (+1”) Move; Growth Str does not add to Swim or Climb]
COMBAT
Attack +0, (Unarmed +2)
Damage +6 (Unarmed)
Defense +2, (+1 Flat-footed)
Grapple +11
Initiative -1
Knockback –4
SAVING THROWS
Toughness +7, Fortitude +6, Reflex +0, Will +0
DRAWBACKS
(-4) Disabled: Cant Talk
(-4) Disabled: No Hands
(-1) Disabled: Limited Climbing
Abilities -3 + Skills 1 (5 ranks) + Feats 1 + Powers 21 + Combat 8 + Saves 3 – Drawbacks 9 = 20

RIDING HORSE PL 4, MINION 2
Str 18 Dex 13 Con 17 Int 2 Wis 12 Cha 10
SKILLS
Notice 4 (+4), Survival 1 (+1)
FEATS
Attack Specialization (Unarmed) 1
POWERS
(13) Growth 4 (PF: Innate; XT: Duration – Continuous; [Permanent])
(2) Protection 2
(1) Speed 1
*Stats given include: [Large Size: +8 Str, +4 Con, -1 Att/Def, +4 Grapple Mod, -4 Stealth, +2 Intimidate, 10’ Space, 10’ Reach, +5 Str for Carrying (Str 31), +5’ (+1”) Move; Growth Str does not add to Swim or Climb]
COMBAT
Attack +0, (Unarmed +2)
Damage +4 (Unarmed)
Grapple +7
Initiative +1
Knockback –3
SAVING THROWS
Toughness +5, Fortitude +5, Reflex +2, Will +1
DRAWBACKS
Abilities -3 + Skills 1 (5 ranks) + Feats 1 + Powers 18 + Combat 8 + Saves 4 – Drawbacks 9 = 20

War Horse - CHARGER PL 5, MINION 3
Str 18 Dex 13 Con 18 Int 2 Wis 12 Cha 10
SKILLS
Notice 4 (+5), Survival 1 (+2)
FEATS
Attack Specialization (Unarmed) 2
POWERS
(1) Feature 1 (War Trained)
(13) Growth 4 (PF: Innate; XT: Duration – Continuous; [Permanent])
(2) Protection 2
(1) Speed
(2) Super Movement 1 (Sure Footed 1)

*Stats given include: [Large Size: +8 Str, +4 Con, -1 Att/Def, +4 Grapple Mod, -4 Stealth, +2 Intimidate, 10’ Space, 10’ Reach, +5 Str for Carrying (Str 31), +5’ (+1”) Move; Growth Str does not add to Swim or Climb]
COMBAT
Attack +0, (Unarmed +4)
Damage +4 (Unarmed)
Defense +4, (+2 flat-footed)
Grapple +9
Initiative +1
Knockback –3
SAVING THROWS
Toughness +6, Fortitude +6, Reflex +3, Will +2
DRAWBACKS
Abilities 4+ Skills 1 (5 ranks) + Feats 2 + Powers 21 + Combat 12 + Saves 7 – Drawbacks 9 = 38
War Horse - DESTRIER PL X, MINION X
Str 26 Dex 11 Con 20 Int 2 Wis 12 Cha 8
SKILLS
Notice 4 (+5), Survival 1 (+2)
FEATS
Attack Specialization (Unarmed) 2
POWERS
(1) Feature 1 (War Trained)
(16) Growth 5 (PF: Innate; XT: Duration – Continuous; [Permanent])
(2) Protection 2
(1) Speed
(2) Super Movement 1 (Sure Footed 1)

*Stats given include: [Large Size: +10 Str, +5 Con, -1 Att/Def, +4 Grapple Mod, -4 Stealth, +2 Intimidate, 10’ Space, 10’ Reach, +5 Str for Carrying (Str 31), +5’ (+1”) Move; Growth Str does not add to Swim or Climb]
COMBAT
Attack +0, (Unarmed +4)
Damage +4 (Unarmed)
Defense +4, (+2 Flat-footed)
Grapple +9
Initiative +0
Knockback –3
SAVING THROWS
Toughness +6, Fortitude +8, Reflex +2, Will +2
DRAWBACKS
Abilities 4 + Skills 1 (5 ranks) + Feats 2 + Powers 24 + Combat 12 + Saves 5 – Drawbacks 9 = 39

War Horses are typically bought as Sidekicks, making them Heroic, to reflect their greater toughness and durability. Notable War Horses may be stronger, faster, or have feats such as Lionheart.

Different nations groom their War Horses differently; for example it is common in the Kriegslands to trim the mane short, and crop the tail, while in Brittaria the mane and tail are left long and flowing.

My DC Thread
My Art Thread

oddsare
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Input Jack's Flintlock Fantasy Setting (Horses)

Post by oddsare » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:47 am

This is a great idea the only thing I can think of right now is maybe offset the ocean and seas to be a very, very pale blue so you can more easily separate them from land when looking at the map.

input.jack
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Input Jack's Flintlock Fantasy Setting (Horses)

Post by input.jack » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:00 pm

HUMAN Humanoid
Humans are the dominant Race in the civilized world. Of all the civilized Races, Humans are the most adaptable and diverse. Human settlements can be found almost anywhere across the globe, and their morals, customs, and interests vary greatly.

Human appearance covers a wide range of heights, builds, and colors. Most Aeryssian Humans have fair to tan skin, hair color ranging from black through brown to reds and blonds, and a range of eye colors that includes brown, blue, green, hazel, and even some exotic colors such as violet and amber.

Human clothing varies widely, based on the regional environment and cultural history of the Humans in question. Some Human communities favor simple, functional clothing, while others prefer elaborate and often highly impractical designs. Humans also have a habit of incorporating design elements of other races and cultures into their own designs.

Humans have a typical lifespan of about 75 years, although in some places this can extend past a full century.

The Human Character
Humans are a diverse and often self-contradictory lot. The most depraved villains and most benevolent heroes come from Human stock. As such, it is difficult to give a broad characterization of Humans, since they can vary so much as cultures and individuals.

Humans as a race tend to congregate together in large social groups. These groups often have some form of self-identity based on cultural heritage, language, religion, or “ethnicity” (a collection of minor physical traits that Humans of a given region tend to have in common). Humans are easily led into an “Us vs. Them” mentality, making them fearsome warriors in battle. Humans also work well in large numbers, bending their will to whatever task is at hand, and sometimes achieving nearly impossible feats as a result.

Conversely, some Humans are particularly individualistic, shunning convention and following their own hearts and ideals, wherever they may lead. The greatest explorers, inventors, philosophers, artists, and legendary heroes that Humanity has had to offer were all people willing to do what they felt was the right thing to do, despite convention and social pressure.

Additionally, Humans seem to be more capable of arriving at compromises and putting their own concerns aside for the greater good. Humans were the instigators of the social changes which have led Aeryssian society to accept all thinking beings as equal under the law. They forged alliances with the Vale Elves and the Dwarves of the Granite Mountains, with Halflings and Centaurs and even their own age-old enemies, the Goblins and Orks, all of whom are now equal members of Aeryssian society. Though often seen as bloodthirsty and violent by the older, more staid races, Humans are also the race responsible for bringing to an end generations of warfare motivated by racial hatreds.

Because Humans are so diverse, you will find many entries for them under this header. The first few are “generic Humans” (if such a thing can be said to exist). Later entries are categorized by region and occupation, and specialization if required, such as “Brittarian Soldier – Infantryman”.

BYSTANDER PL 0, MINION 1
Str 10 Dex 10 Con 10 Int 10 Wis 10 Cha 10
SKILLS
Knowledge (Current Events) 2 (+2), Knowledge (Popular Culture) 2 (+2), Profession (Any) 4 (+4)
FEATS
--
POWERS
--
COMBAT
Attack +0
Damage +0 (Unarmed)
Defense +0, (+0 Flat-footed)
Grapple +0
Initiative +0
Knockback –0
SAVING THROWS
Toughness +0, Fortitude +0, Reflex +0, Will +0
DRAWBACKS
--
Abilities 0 + Skills 2 (10 ranks) + Feats 0 + Powers 0 + Combat 0 + Saves 0 – Drawbacks 0 = 2

The Bystander is the typical person-on-the-street; the sort likely to be endangered by any sort of violent confrontation in a populated area. The write-up is the same regardless of social strata. Note that the Bystander becomes PL 2 if you hand them a sword.

FARMER PL 2, MINION 1
Str 12 Dex 10 Con 12 Int 10 Wis 12 Cha 08
SKILLS
Handle Animal 3 (+2), Knowledge (Current Events) 1 (+1), Profession (Farming) 4 (+4), Survival 1 (+2)
FEATS
Equipment 1

Gear:
[4] Farm Implement +2 (Mighty, Reach1)
POWERS
--
COMBAT
Attack +0
Damage +1 (Unarmed), +3 (Farm Implement)
Defense +1, (+0 Flat-footed)
Grapple +1
Initiative +0
Knockback –0
SAVING THROWS
Toughness +1, Fortitude +1, Reflex +0, Will +1
DRAWBACKS
--
Abilities 4 + Skills 2 (10 ranks) + Feats 1 + Powers 0 + Combat 2 + Saves 0 – Drawbacks 0 = 9

This archetype represents the typical man or woman who works the land for a living. The Farmer is hard-working and practical, well used to working for long hours. If threatened, a hoe, sickle, or other farm tool makes a handy weapon.
TAVERN-KEEP PL 4, MINION 3
Str 14 Dex 10 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 14 Cha 12
SKILLS
Bluff 2 (+3), Diplomacy 2 (+3), Knowledge (Current Events) 4 (+4), Knowledge (Popular Culture) 2 (+2), Knowledge (Streetwise) 2 (+2), Notice 5 (+7), Profession (Tavernkeep) 4 (+4), Sense Motive 3 (+5)
FEATS
Dodge Focus 2, Equipment 1

Gear:
[3] Flintlock Pistol +3 ([Muzzle Loader])
[1] AP – (3) Sap +2 (Mighty)
[1] Leather Apron & Boots: Prot +1
POWERS
--
COMBAT
Attack +3
Damage +2 (Unarmed), +5 (Sap), +3 (Pistol)
Defense +4 (Base +2, Dodge +2), (+1 Flat-footed)
Grapple +4
Initiative +0
Knockback –1
SAVING THROWS
Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Reflex +2, Will +3
DRAWBACKS
--
Abilities 14 + Skills 5 (25 ranks) + Feats 3 + Powers 0 + Combat 10 + Saves 5 – Drawbacks 0 = 37
The Tavern-keep is typical of the sorts of burly, grizzled men you find running inns, taverns, and bars. He is usually a veteran, and keeps a wary eye on his customers. The Tavern-keep can also be a useful source of information for the PC’s.

SAILORS Human

DECKHAND PL 4, MINION 2
Str 10 Dex 12 Con 12 Int 10 Wis 10 Cha 10
SKILLS
Acrobatics 3 (+4), Climb 4 (+5), Notice 2 (+2), Profession (Carpentry) 1 (+1), Profession (Sailor) 3 (+3), Swim 2 (+2)
FEATS
Equipment 2, Sea Legs 1

Gear:
[6] Pike +2 (Mighty, Imp Crit 1, Thrown 1, Reach 1)
[1] AP – (5) Flintlock Musket +5 ([Muzzle Loader])
[1] AP- (4) Cutlass +3 (Mighty)
[1] AP – (4) Dagger +1 (Mighty, Imp Crit 1, Thrown 1)
POWERS
--
COMBAT
Attack +2
Damage +0 (Unarmed), +1 (Dagger) , +2 (Pike), +3 (Cutlass), +5 (Musket)
Defense +2 (+1 Flat-footed)
Grapple +2
Initiative +1
Knockback –0
SAVING THROWS
Toughness +1, Fortitude +3, Reflex +2, Will +0
DRAWBACKS
--
Abilities 4 + Skills 3 (15 ranks) + Feats 3 + Powers 0 + Combat 8 + Saves 3 – Drawbacks 0 = 21
The typical Deckhand is worked to exhaustion almost every day, whether as a private merchantman’s crew, or aboard a ship of war. Deckhands are notorious for their ability and desire to drink, carouse, and cause mischief if not closely watched. Especially if they are Brittarian. The Deck Hand may be issued a weapon from the ship’s armory in times of need. Under normal circumstances a Deckhand will have only a Dagger. Muskets are issued for long distance combats and shore parties. Pikes are used to repel boarders. Cutlasses are used when the fighting gets down to close quarters. Most Deck Hands will be issues ONE of these weapons at a time.
NON-COM OFFICER PL 4, MINION X
Str 12 Dex 12 Con 12 Int 10 Wis 12 Cha 10
SKILLS
Acrobatics 3 (+4), Bluff 2 (+2), Climb 4 (+5), Intimidate 2 (+2), Notice 2 (+2), Profession (Carpentry) 1 (+1), Profession (Sailor) 4 (+5), Swim 2 (+2)
FEATS
Benefit (NCO) 1, Dodge Focus 2, Equipment 2, Sea Legs 1

Gear:
[1] AP – (5) Flintlock Musket +5 ([Muzzle Loader])
[1] AP- (4) Cutlass +3 (Mighty)
[1] AP – (4) Dagger +1 (Mighty, Imp Crit 1, Thrown 1)
POWERS
--
COMBAT
Attack +3
Damage +1 (Unarmed), +2 (Dagger) , +3 (Pike), +4 (Cutlass), +5 (Musket)
Defense +4, (Base 2, Dodge 2), (+1 Flat-footed)
Grapple +4
Initiative +1
Knockback –0
SAVING THROWS
Toughness +1, Fortitude +4, Reflex +3, Will +2
DRAWBACKS
--
Abilities 8 + Skills 4 (20 ranks) + Feats 6 + Powers 0 + Combat 10 + Saves 6 – Drawbacks 0 = 34

The Non Commissioned Officer is basically a Deck Hand with experience, whom the Officers trust to oversee small groupsd of deckhands called “work details”, and to make sure that the men do their jobs properly. Each ship will have a handful of NCO’s. They are slightly better paid than typical crewmen, and must walk the fine line between the unruly crew and the dread halls of power wherein the Officers live.

NAVAL OFFICER PL 4, MINION 3
Str 12 Dex 12 Con 12 Int 12 Wis 12 Cha 12
SKILLS
Acrobatics 2 (+3), Bluff 2 (+3), Climb 1 (+2), Intimidate 2 (+3), Notice 2 (+3), Profession (Officer) 2 (+3), Profession (Sailor) 2 (+3), Sense Motive 2 (+3), Swim 2 (+2)
FEATS
Benefit (Officer) 2, Dodge Focus 2, Equipment 2, Sea Legs 1

Gear:
[5] Sword +3 (Mighty, Improved Crit 1)
[1] AP – (3) Flintlock Pistol +3 ([Muzzle Loader])
[3] Regimentals: Prot +2 (Subtle) [Military Officers Only]
POWERS
(1) Device 1 “Timepiece” [Easy to Lose]
[1] Super Sense 1 (Time Sense)
COMBAT
Attack +4
Damage +1 (Unarmed), +4 (Sword), +3 (Pistol))
Defense +5, (Base 3, Dodge 2), (+1 Flat-footed)
Grapple +5
Initiative +1
Knockback –1
SAVING THROWS
Toughness +3 (Civilians +1), Fortitude +4, Reflex +3, Will +3
DRAWBACKS
--
Abilities 12 + Skills 4 (20 ranks) + Feats 7 + Powers 1 + Combat 14 + Saves 7 – Drawbacks 0 = 45
All ships have Officers. They are the ones who make the decisions, give the orders, and do the work that requires actual skilled knowledge. Small commands may be led by a Lieutenant, or even a Midshipman under the right circumstances. Use this template for a civilian “captain”, a naval Lieutenant, or a Midshipman. Officers rarely go aloft, so they are not as good at climbing as their men.

NAVAL SR. OFFICER PL 4, MINION 4
Str 10 Dex 12 Con 12 Int 13 Wis 15 Cha 14
SKILLS
Acrobatics 2 (+3), Bluff 2 (+4), Climb 2 (+2), Intimidate 4 (+6), Notice 2 (+4), Profession (Officer) 2 (+4), Profession (Sailor) 2 (+4), Sense Motive 2 (+4), Swim 2 (+2)
FEATS
Benefit (Officer) 3, Dodge Focus 2, Equipment 2, Sea Legs 1

Gear:
[5] Sword +3 (Mighty, Improved Crit 1)
[3] Regimentals: Prot +2 (Subtle) [Military Officers Only]
[1] “Telescope” (RM for Sight based Notice -1/50 [Distracting])
POWERS
(1) Device 1 “Timepiece” [Easy to Lose]
[1] Super Sense 1 (Time Sense)
COMBAT
Attack +5
Damage +0 (Unarmed), +3 (Sword), +3 (Pistol)
Defense +5, (Base 3, Dodge 2), (+1 Flat-footed)
Grapple +5
Initiative +1
Knockback –1
SAVING THROWS
Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Reflex +3, Will +5
DRAWBACKS
--
Abilities 16 + Skills 4 (20 ranks) + Feats 8 + Powers 1 + Combat 16 + Saves 8 – Drawbacks 0 = 53
Use this sheet for veteran merchant captains, or naval officers of Commander rank or higher. Captains and the top officers of a ship of Awesome size are going to be Senior Officers.
SOLDIERS Human
IRREGULAR PL 4, MINION 1
Str 10 Dex 10 Con 12 Int 10 Wis 10 Cha 10
SKILLS
Knowledge (Current Events) 2 (+2), Knowledge (Popular Culture) 2 (+2), Profession (Any) 4 (+4), Profession (Soldier) 2 (+2)
FEATS
Attack Specialization (Musket) 1, Equipment 1

Gear:
[5] Flintlock Musket +5 ([Muzzle Loader])
POWERS
--
COMBAT
Attack +0, (Musket +2)
Damage +0 (Unarmed), +5 (Musket)
Grapple +0
Initiative +0
Knockback –0
SAVING THROWS
Toughness +1, Fortitude +1, Reflex +0, Will +1
DRAWBACKS
--
Abilities 2 + Skills 2 (10 ranks) + Feats 2 + Powers 0 + Combat 4 + Saves 2 – Drawbacks 0 = 4

A member of the local militia, or conscript into the armed forces of one of the nations at war, the Irregular Soldier has received some small amount of training. Most have had to provide their own weapons. Their training has made them more disciplined and accurate with a musket (or other weapon of choice, if you are using this template for a local variant) than a Bystander. You can use this to represent conscripts, minor bandits, or town guards.
REGULAR SOLDIER PL 5, MINION 2
Str 12 Dex 12 Con 12 Int 10 Wis 10 Cha 10
SKILLS
Climb 4 (+5), Intimidate 2 (+2), Knowledge (Current Events) 2 (+2), Knowledge (Popular Culture) 2 (+2), Knowledge (Tactics) 2 (+2), Notice 2 (+2), Profession (Soldier) 4 (+4)
FEATS
Attack Specialization (Musket) 1, Dodge Focus 2, Endurance 1, Equipment 3

Gear:
or
[5] Flintlock Musket +5 ([Muzzle Loader])
[1] AP – (5) Fixed Bayonet +2 (Mighty, Imp Crit 1, Reach 1)
[1] AP – (4) Bayonet +2 (Mighty, Imp Crit 1)
[3] Armor: Prot +2
[2] Helmet: +2 Protection ([Only vs. Critical Hits])
[1] Survival Pack
POWERS
--
COMBAT
Attack +3, (Musket +5)
Damage +1 (Unarmed), +3 (Bayonet), +5 (Musket)
Defense +4 (Base 2, Dodge 2), (+1 Flat-footed)
Grapple +4
Initiative +1
Knockback –1
SAVING THROWS
Toughness +3, Fortitude +2, Reflex +1, Will +2
DRAWBACKS
--
Abilities 6 + Skills 4 (20 ranks) + Feats 7 + Powers 0 + Combat 10 + Saves 3 – Drawbacks 0 =30

You can use the Regular Soldier to represent the typical, professional soldier from almost any of the Aeryssian nations. They have received full military grade training, learning how to climb, duck, shoot, and march. They have also been given basic training in tactics, to understand where they will be needed. They prefer to fire their muskets from behind cover, or if they do not have time to reload, to affix bayonets, which they can use like short spears. In an emergency they will fight with the bayonet as a shortsword.

OFFICER PL 5, MINION 4
Str 12 Dex 12 Con 12 Int 12 Wis 12 Cha 12
SKILLS
Bluff 2 (+3), Climb 4 (+5), Intimidate 4 (+5), Knowledge (Current Events) 2 (+3), Knowledge (Popular Culture) 2 (+3), Knowledge (Tactics) 3 (+4), Language 1 ([X Nat.], Aquitairrian), Notice 2 (+3), Profession (Soldier) 4 (+5), Ride 2 (+3), Sense Motive 3 (+4)
FEATS
Attack Focus (Ranged)1, Attack Specialization (Sword) 1, Benefit (Nobility) 1, Benefit (Officer) 2, Dodge Focus 2, Equipment 2, Sidekick (Light WarHorse) 8

Gear:
[5] Sword +3 (Mighty, Imp. Crit 1)
[3] Breastplate: Prot +3
[2] Helmet: +2 Protection ([Only vs. Critical Hits])
[1] Survival Pack
POWERS
--
COMBAT
Attack +4, (Ranged +5, Sword +6)
Damage +1 (Unarmed), +4 (Sword), +5 (Pistol)
Defense +5 (Base 3, Dodge 2), (+1 Flat-footed)
Grapple +5
Initiative +1
Knockback –1
SAVING THROWS
Toughness +5, Fortitude +3, Reflex +2, Will +3
DRAWBACKS
--
Abilities 12 + Skills 6 (30 ranks) + Feats 16 + Powers 0 + Combat 14 + Saves 5 – Drawbacks 0 =54
The typical Aeryssian Officer was born into the noble class. Raised in military traditions, he has studied and trained extensively, in order that his service to his nation and his Crown will be honorable and noteworthy. He is not to be underestimated.
Last edited by input.jack on Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My DC Thread
My Art Thread

input.jack
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Input Jack's Flintlock Fantasy Setting (Humans)

Post by input.jack » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:06 pm

HUMAN TEMPLATE
ABILITIES
--
SKILLS
--
FEATS
--
POWERS
--
(Note: Humans can buy Luck up to their PL. All others are limited to ranks of Luck equal to half their PL)
DRAWBACKS
--
Abilities 0 + Skills 0 (0 ranks) + Feats 0 + Powers 0 – Drawbacks 0 = 0

Humans are the dominant Race of the Fifth Age; theirs are the major cities, nations, and concerns of the civilized world. They have many sub-cultures and ethnicities. They typically stand about five and a half to six feet tall, and have five-fingered hands and rounded ears. Male Humans can typically grow beards. Coloration and features vary by region and “ethnicity” (a group of superficial physical traits generally shared by Humans whose forefathers came from a given region).

Humans are characterized by their own contradictions. Humans can be the most noble of heroes, or the basest of villains. They prize individuality and their heroes are without peer, but they tend as a race to form groups with which to identify themselves. They are at the forefront of exploration, yet the majority of Humans seek only to live quietly and comfortably, and resist new ideas and change. Humans work best with other races, yet they quarrel amongst themselves over what to others seem to be minor matters of belief, language, custom, and heritage.

Humans can be of any Alignment.

My DC Thread
My Art Thread

input.jack
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Input Jack's Flintlock Fantasy Setting (Humans)

Post by input.jack » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:36 pm

ALIGNMENT IN FLINTLOCK FANTASY

Because FLF originated in Another Game System, from the outset it has included "Alignments"; a kind of shorthand notation for the moral and ethical character of a person or a region.

The "Alignment Graph" used in FLF has two major axis; Law-Chaos, and Good-Evil.

There are ten (10) Alignments. Players are requested and required to choose one for their character, as a means of noting how that character is effected by certain types of Spells or influences, and what kinds of Allegiences the character is likely to find appealing.

Having an Alignment is treated as a Complication for all Alignments, including "Unaligned". The majority of Humans are "Unaligned", as they have no strong convictions one way or another, and only want to live quietly and comfortably, and have some peace and quiet. Regardless of whats going on "over there, past the mountains".

The four major components of Alignment are:

GOOD - You protect innocent life. You are generally altruistic, and concerned for the dignity and well-being of other sentients. You are willing to make personal sacrifices to help others. You are compassionate and concerned for others, and want things to be "fair".

EVIL - You are willing to debase, injure, or kill innocent life, whether for fun or profit. You are willing to hurt people, oppress them, and even kill them if it will further your goals. Some Evil characters are callously indifferent to the needs of others, and will steal, destroy, maim, and kill with no qualms, if it is convenient for them. Other Evil characters actively seek out opportunities to inflict pain and suffering, whether for sport, for their own amusement, or in the service to some higher purpose.

LAW - You tell the truth, keep your word, respect authority, and honor traditions. Lawfulness can be positive in that it includes trustworthiness, honor, reliability, and sacrificing personal needs for the benefit of society. Lawfulness taken to far can be rigid, unyeilding, hidebound, and judgemental.

CHAOS - You follow your own conscience, resent being told what to do, and favor new ideas over traditions. You keep your word if it is convenient to do so. Chaos can be positive in that it includes freedom, adaptability, and self-expression. Chaotic attitudes taken too far lead to anarchy, recklessness, resentment toward authority, and irresponsibility.

Note that while too much Law and too much Chaos can be bad things, and Evil is bad by its very nature, thee is no such thing as "too much Good". A character who is truly Good will not take their adherence to Law or Chaos to such extremes. (The Lawful Good Paladin who forces people to convert, and then kills them before they can backslide is NOT a "Good" character at all, but is instead Lawful Evil, even if he doesnt realize it).

The ten alignments are:
LAWFUL GOOD: You try to act as a Good person is expected or required to act. You oppose Evil, and have the discipline to fight relentlessly when necessary. You tell the truth, keep yur word, help those in need, and speak out against injustice. You realize that in order for a society to work, the people must sacrifice certain individual desires for the good of the whole. You also realize that a society that is too restrictive, or that legalizes abuses and oppression os wrong, and must be stopped. You hate to see the guilty go unpunished. You combine honor and compassion.
LAWFUL NEUTRAL: You act as the law, tradition, and society deem "appropriate". You may also follow a personal code, as well. You believe that for society to function, everyone must know their duty and their place, and do what is required of them. You may believe in order for all, or in a strong centralized government. "Zero tolerance" policies appeal to you, because they are set standards, and require no individual judgements on the part of those enforcing the laws.
LAWFUL EVIL: You have a personal code of conduct, and within that code you do whatever is neccesary to obtain what you need for you and yours. You care about tradition and loyalty, and value order. You believe that personal freedom is a selfish person's crutch, and that if other people are hurt by your actions it was their fault somehow for not being part of your group to begin with. You play by the rules, but without mercy or compasion. You are most comfortable in a heirarchy. You condemn others because of their race, religion, social rank, and homeland, not because of who they are or what they do. You protect the rigid order not only because it serves your purposes, but also because it helps protect you. You may have particular taboos, such as not killing in cold blood (but you will have your underlings do it), not killing children or letting them come to harm (if it can be helped), and keeping your word (though getting you to give it may be duifficult). You believe that these "codes" put you above "unprincipled" villains. Some Lawful Evil people and creatures commit themselves to Evil with a zeal that is like a Paladin's committment to Good. Beyond being willing to hurt others, they take pleasure in doing so, and can organize means of doing so on an appalling scale.
CHAOTIC GOOD: You act as your conscience directs, with little regard for what others think of you. You are generally concerned with the well-being of others, and try not to cause harm. But you will not allow hidebound traditions or stupid laws to hold you back. You believe in personal freedom above societal oblications. You make your own way, but you are kind and benevolent. You hate bullies and tyrants. You combine a good heart with a free spirit.
CHAOTIC NEUTRAL: You value your own personal freedom more than anything else. You do what you want, when you want. You try not to cause harm to others, especially if doing so will bring down bad repurcussions, but you are willing to do minor "bad things" in your own self interest. Your behavior is unpredicatable. But not random; you have reasons for what you do. They are just YOUR reasons. You avoid authority and resent restrictions. But you have not dedicated yourself to the "cause of anarchy". You just want to be a free spirit. You are generally unwilling to give up your own goods and freedoms without some dire, pressing need.
CHAOTIC EVIL: You do whatever your drives for power, lust, and greed tell you to do. You are in it for yourself, and you not only dont care who you hurt, youre actually looking forward to it. You are vicious, hot-tempered, and arbitrarily violent. You will follow a leader who is stronger than you, but will look for an opportunity to unseat him and place yourself into power if you can. You are out for whatever yu can get, and are ruthless and brutal about it. If you are actually committed to the spread of evil, then you are even worse than that! However, you do not have the patience for meticulous plans. Your organizations are loose and quickly formed, and tend to work together only be force, the leader lasting only so long as he can prevent being assassinated, or having his power base collapse out from under him. You revel in the destruction of beauty and life.
NEUTRAL GOOD: You do the best that a Good person can do. You are devoted to helping others, and will work with magistrates and kings. However, you do not feel beholden to them, and will challenge their authority if you believe they are abusing it. You respect law and order, so long as they are not an impediment to helping others. You are more concerned with what is right than with what is orderly.
NEUTRAL EVIL: You will do whatever you can get away with. You are mindful of the rules and rituals of your society, and will use them or abandon them as your situation dictates. You are ut for yourself, pure and simple. You will not cry over those whose lives you have ruined or ended in the pursuit of your own goals. You do not have the relentless drive to destroy that the Chaotic Evil character has, nor the desire to build a larger society that a Lawful Evil character might possess. Instead you are consistentily and ruthlessly selfish. And selfishness IS Evil.
TRUE NEUTRAL: You are devoted to maintaining The Balance. You believe that the world cannot function properly if there is too much Good, too much Evil, too much Law, or too much Chaos in it. You walk the fine line at the center, and will tip the scales one way or another if you feel it is necessary. True Neutral characters often follow Nature faiths, as they believe that Nature is both cruel and kind, predictable and tempestuous. The ancient Druids of Brittaria are True Neutrals. Some Death Cults are also True Neutral, because they believe that they are "above such concerns" and that death comes to all, regardless of alignments.
UNALIGNED: You dont actively seek to harm others, or even wish them ill. But you will not put yourself or your loved ones at risk without some hope of reward. You support law and order so long as it benefits you. You value your own freedom, but dont worry so much about protecting the freedom of others. The vast majority of people are Unaligned. Likewise, most animals are Unaligned, as well, as they lack the capacity to comprehend moral and ethical considerations.
Alignment is not intended to be a strait-jacket for the Player Instead, it is supposed to be a general "yardstick" for how the character behaves. The character's actions determine the character's alignment, not the other way around. If a character is about to take actions that might lead to an Aligment shift, the GM is encouraged to bring this to the Player's attention out of character. After all, the character is who the character is, every day. But the Player is only who the character is, on game days.

When being of a given Alignment causes an NPC a problem, it si simply noted, and we move on. If a Chaotic Evil Demon is harmed by a Warding Cirtcle vs. Evil, he says "Yearrrgh!" and takes damage. And thats basically that.

When a PCs Alignment causes a problem, such as an Unaligned character being repelled by a barrier that keeps out anything but Good characters, the character gets a Hero Point. A Lawful Good character taking damage from picking up a Chaotic Evil sword gets a Hero Point, too.

Some regions and groups have a "General Alignment". This is a guideline for the GM to tell you how people in a region tend to behave. For example, Brittaria is considered "Neutral Good". The Brittarian Navy is considered "Lawful Good", although naval regulations and discipline are a bit harsh, putting them close to Lawful Neutral. The Aquitairrian Liberationists are generally "Chaotic Evil", despite the Good intentions of St. Reynard, their leader. The intervention of the other members of the Committee for Public Safety have derailed his attempts at reforming a benevolent, free society. The Aquitairrian Militarists are generally "Lawful Evil", as is their leader, Batiste. Before the cunning and decades-long manipulations of Alexandre Batiste, that turned the populace against King Valois XVI, the Royalist government of Aquitairre was, in fact, "Neutral Good".

My DC Thread
My Art Thread

CourtFool
Disciple
Disciple

Flintlock Fantasy Setting Flintlocks

Post by CourtFool » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:41 pm

I have considered reviving my Pirate Hero campaign in M&M. I would be very curious to see you stat out some firearms. I was considering lifting them straight out of True20 Warrior's Handbook.
¡Vive el llama!