J-Mart I 2E: Green Scar Hulk, Mandrill, Nekra

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Sand Fox
Firebrand
Firebrand

Re: J-Mart: Samurai Jack, Afro Samurai, Silver Samurai, Katana

Post by Sand Fox » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:29 am

A last minute add-on to J-Mart’s Samurai Special, from part-time employee and fulltime costumer Sand Fox, but not quite in the Samurai flavor...

I never want to see another important person die in front of me again.

Name: Sasuke Uchiha
PL: 10
PP: 175

Abilities: 30
STR: 16 (+3), DEX: 18 (+4), CON: 16 (+3), INT: 14 (+2), WIS: 16 (+3), CHA: 10 (+0)

Skills: 16
Acrobatics: 13 (+17)
Concentration: 6 (+9)
Escape Artist: 4 (+8)
Knowledge
Jutsu Lore: 6 (+8)
Notice: 6 (+9)
Search: 5 (+7)
Sense Motive: 6 (+9)
Stealth: 8 (+12)
Survival: 4 (+7)

Feats: 31
Acrobatic Bluff
All-out Attack
Assessment
Attack Focus (2): Melee
Attractive (1)
Defensive Roll (5)
Dodge Focus (6)
Evasion (1)
Fearsome Presence (6)
Improved Initiative (2)
Move-by Action
Power Attack
Sneak Attack (1)
Takedown Attack (1)
Uncanny Dodge (Visual)

Powers: 28
Device (Easy to Lose), Rank 2
Sasuke’s Chokuto: Strike (Penetrating, Mighty, Improved Critical 3), Rank 3

Super-Movement (Wall-Crawling [2], Water Walking), Rank 3

Chidori (Strike: Penetrating), Rank 8 (Base Power)
Chidori Current (Stun: Aura), Rank 5 (Alternate Power)
Chidori Senbon (Electric Control: Burst, Touch Range), Rank 8 (Alternate Power)
Fire Release: Great Fireball Technique (Fire Blast), Rank 8 (Alternate Power)
Genjutsu (Illusion: Phantasms, One Subject), Rank 8 (Alternate Power)

Sharingan (Mimic: Powers, Perception, Continuous, Limited [Jutsu], Overload), Rank 8
Super-Senses: Detect Chakra (Visual, Free Action, Ranged, Acute), Rank 4

Equipment: 0

Combat: 32
Attack: +10, +12 Melee, Defense: +12 (+3 flat-footed), Init: +12
Dmg: +3 Unarmed, +6 Chokuto, +8 Jutsu

Saves: 14
Toughness: +8 (+3 Flatfooted), Fortitude: +7 (+3 Mod. +4 Base), Reflex: +9 (+4 Mod. +5 Base), Will: +8 (+3 Mod. +5 Base)

Drawbacks: 0

Total Cost
Abilities 30 + Skills 16 (64 ranks) + Feats 31 + Powers 52 + Combat 32 + Saves 14 – Drawbacks 0 = 175/175

Trade Offs
+2 Attack/-2 Damage
+2 Defense/-2 Toughness

Complications
Enemy: Danzo
Responsibility: Uchiha Clan, Sakura Haruno, Naruto Uzumaki, Kakashi Hatake, Team Hawk
Rivalry: Naruto Uzumaki

Notes
Yes, I know Sasuke’s a ninja and the sword he uses isn’t a Katana, but I figure its close enough to count towards J-Mart’s Samurai Special. Sasuke’s incredibly fast, but not quite superhuman, and he likes being upfront when it comes to combat, dealing damage as quickly as he can. He prefers melee to ranged, and favors using his sword in combination with Chidori Current at the start of combat.
I made Sasuke’s Sharingan so that it does not have the same volume of power that it’s supposed to have. It’s described as being able to duplicate and memorize any Jutsu the user sees, making it more of an X rank power. Since most of the time, Sharingan uses only mimic ninjutsu once and then don’t use it again, I decided to save points and make it so that Sasuke can mimic and keep one Jutsu for as long as he likes, and then he ‘forgets’ it when he learns a new one.
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:
For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.
"

James 1: 19-20

Sand Fox
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by Sand Fox » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:56 pm

By the by Thorpacolypse, do you have any plans for your next special? If not, may I be so bold as to make a suggestion?
I think it would be neat to see some more Jedi builds in the J-Mart Aisles. But that’s just a part-time employee’s suggestion and if you already have plans, don’t worry about it.

Sincerely, Sand Fox
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:
For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.
"

James 1: 19-20

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Post by Thorpacolypse » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:43 pm

Sand Fox wrote:By the by Thorpacolypse, do you have any plans for your next special? If not, may I be so bold as to make a suggestion?
I think it would be neat to see some more Jedi builds in the J-Mart Aisles. But that’s just a part-time employee’s suggestion and if you already have plans, don’t worry about it.

Sincerely, Sand Fox
Actually, I do have some plans including what I am getting ready to post now and some Dresdenverse stuff that I am working on for my FTF group. But I have been so busy, it's hard for me to get a lot done on one theme, but with fall coming, things might slow down a bit with the Little Thorpacolypses heading off the school on Monday. But I have been hankering to do some Star Wars stuff and I'll try to get to some new builds and rework my Vader and Maul in the near future.

Thanks for the addition to the Samurai Special (and thanks to Catsi563 for his), as well.

And speaking of said next theme...
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Post by Thorpacolypse » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:17 pm

BLEACH!!!

Whoops, I mean...

Minor Design Diary – Bleach

So I have mentioned many times before that I am a reformed anime hater. Being an old dude that became a born again geek (or bleek as I normally refer to myself since I am black) in my mid-thirties, it was pretty foreign to me and even though I try to fight it, one of the tendencies of aging is that your mind becomes less open to new things, even as you become more tolerant of things in general. And it didn’t help that my daughter and godson were HUGE Dragonball Z fans and they kept trying to make me watch it and I just didn’t get it. Even now that I have accepted the anime genre as a legitimate entertainment form, I still hate that show.

But I digress and due to Kreuzritter hyping Full Metal Alchemist and me actually sitting down and watching it and some other good ones, I opened my mind to the genre. Once I did, I started watching my current favorite anime, Bleach. I do love Full Metal Alchemist, Ghost in the Shell and I am starting to get into Cowboy Bebop, but Bleach rules. It’s got lots of fighting, usually with big swords, things exploding, gratuitous usage of the word BASTARD and lots of girls with big thingies.

I mean, really...

I digress again. Anyway, for copyright reasons (and mostly laziness), here is the link to the Bleach Wiki that sums up the plot for those that aren't familiar:

http://bleach.wikia.com/wiki/Bleach

But to sum up the overall plot of Bleach as follows:

The show follows the adventures of Ichigo Kurosaki, a seemingly fairly normal high school student in Karakura Town in Japan who becomes a Soul Reaper, or Shinigami in the Manga, beings of spirit whose job it is to send the souls of the deceased to the Soul Society (a kind of heaven, although it’s really more like feudal Japan) or to Hell. They also do battle with Hollows, human souls that don’t pass on and become corrupt and evil monsters. Ichigo got his powers from a Soul Reaper that was injured defending his family, Rukia Kuchiki, and since she did not follow protocol, she was forcibly retrieved and sent back to the Soul Society for execution.
Ichigo, and some of his friends who also developed spirit powers went there to rescue her and did, uncovering a master plan by a traitorous Soul Reaper Captain who wanted a device that would allow him to combine Soul Reaper and Hollow powers, making an even more powerful beings that allow him to gain ultimate power.

After that long arc ended, and they needed some filler, so Ichigo, his friends, and the Soul Reapers took on some beings called Bounts, who are like vampires, but feed on spirits. After beating them, the next and current arc has the traitorous Captain starting to put his plans into motion and now the Soul Reapers and Ichigo are battling Arrancar, powerful former Hollows that have been given Soul Reaper abilities which make them even more powerful than most of the Soul Reaper Captains (the top dogs shown so far) and they are getting ready for a massive assault on the Soul Society and the human world.

My plan is to build a ton of the characters from the show, but I am currently focusing on the Soul Reapers. Soul Reapers (shinigami) are able to create a katana (or similar weapon), called a zanpakuto from their spiritual pressure which they use to fight with. That Zanpakuto usually also has another ability that they can use, like an ice snare, a fire blast, it can split up like a shuriken storm and various other abilities depending on the user. Most of the Soul Reaper Captains (the characters in that second show pic or see http://bleach.wikia.com/wiki/Gotei_13) also have the ability to take on a powerful battle form called Bankai, where they become total beasts and gain more speed, power and usually their Zanpakuto and they themselves change into other forms.

The Arrancar, the hollows that have been given Shinigami powers, function similarly, although they don't have a Bankai, their power boost comes from releasing their Zanpatkutos triggering a process called Resurrecion. Apparently Tite Kubo liked the Spanish languages so he gave all those characters name, powers and even the name of the hollow world, Hueco Mundo, Spanish verbiage. But I guess since they are the villains, maybe he DOESN'T like the Spanish folk. :wink:

Now, I linked to the Bleach Wiki so that if you’re not familiar with the show, you get the basic info on the characters and their powers. As usual, in shows like this, and now that I think of it MOST comics and movies, the writers are inconsistent in portraying the characters' strength, blasts, durability, etc. (don’t these people game?) so it’s a crapshoot on their “accurate” power levels. Some arcs, the characters fold up like paper when hit with a punch by a seemingly normal person, and others they’re getting knocked through buildings and creating blasts that can be seen for miles and getting up to fight some more.

So as usual, I have to take the route of setting my own PL for them for the Thorpacoverse setting as I try to incorporate them into the Thorpacoverse as a whole. Here 'tis:

PL0-2 – Normal people, professionals, bystanders
PL3-4 – Trainee, inexperienced Soul Reapers
PL5 - Experienced Soul Reapers (Guards, general squad members), Low Level Hollows
PL6 – Experienced Soul Reapers (advanced squad members, lower seated officers), Low Level Hollows
PL7 – Seated officers, Hollows
PL8-9 – High Seated Officers, Squad Lieutenants, Bounts, Powerful Hollows, Arrancar (Numeros), Arrancar (Low Level Fraccion)
PL10-11 – Peak Squad Lieutenants, Squad Lieutenants (Bankai), Captains (non-Bankai), Bounts, Arrancar (Fraccion, Powerful Numeros)
PL12 – Peak Squad Lieutenant and Squad Captains (Bankai), Arrancar (Espada)
PL13-14 – Powerful Squad Captain Bankai Level, Jin Kariya, Arrancar (Espada)
PL15 – Peak Squad Captain Bankai Level (Yammamato), Arrancar (Peak Espada)
PL16 – Sosuke Aizen

This could change, but this is where I am at now. I have had a hard time getting these where I want them since I really want them to work similarly to how they do in the show so they won't be getting posted quickly, but I plan on getting all the main characters, most of the Captains and Arrancar whose abilities have been shown so far statted up over the next couple of months in and around the work I'm doing on my FTF game.

As always, comments are welcome and without further ado, let's get on with on this Bleach run!
Shop J-Mart!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

#1010, #1481

Post by Thorpacolypse » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:48 pm

Kicking off our Bleach run is a J-Mart Favorite, a man who exemplifies the essence of J-Mart. Check him out on Aisle 6.

A man who fights to fight...J-Mart salutes you!

IKKAKU MADARAME (BASE FORM)
PL:
10 [12] (182 pp); OPL: 10; DPL: 10

ABILITIES: STR: 20 (+5) DEX: 16 (+3) CON: 20 (+5) INT: 10 (0) WIS: 12 (+1) CHA: 14 (+2)

SKILLS: Acrobatics 6 (+9/+13), Bluff (+2), Climb (+9), Concentration 5 (+6), Diplomacy (+2), Disguise (+2), Escape Artist (+3), Gather Info (+2), Handle Animal (+2), Intimidate 6 (+8), Knowledge [Arcane Lore] 4 (+4), Knowledge [Tactics] 10 (+10), Notice 4 (+5), Sense Motive 9 (+10), Stealth 4 (+7), Survival (+1), Swim (+9)

FEATS: All-out Attack, Ambidexterity, Attack Focus (Melee) (3), Attack Specialization (1) [Unarmed], Attack Specialization (2) [Zanpakuto], Cunning Fighter, Defensive Roll (1), Improved Critical (1) [Unarmed], Improved Initiative (1), Power Attack, Takedown Attack (2), Tough (2)

REIRYUKO/HOHO ENHANCED FEATS: Luck (1)

SHUNPO ENHANCED FEATS: Dodge Focus (2), Evasion (1), Improved Initiative (1), Move-by Action

POWERS:
Super Senses 9 (Spiritual Awareness, Detect Spirit Energy [Mental, Accurate, Acute, Ranged, Extended x2, Assessment]; 9pp) [9]
Concealment 10 (All Senses, Flaw: Limited [to spiritually unaware], Limited [only in human world], PF: Close Range; 4pp) [11]
Immunity 1 (Aging; 1pp) [1]
Reiryuko/Hoho 4 (Spiritual Pressure; Passive Container [20pp traits]; 20pp) [4]

Enhanced Feats 1 (see Feats [1pp])
Protection 4 (4pp) [4]
Leaping 3 (3pp) [3]
Super Movement 2 (Air Walking 2 [4pp]) [2]

Reiatsu Release 4 (Nauseate 4, Array, Extra: Area Burst, Flaw: Check Required [Concentration]; 8pp) [4] - DC:14:ref
Shunpo 3 (Flash Steps; Passive Container [15pp traits]; 15pp): [3]
Flash Step 1 (3pp) [3]
Enhanced Feats 5 (see Feats [5pp]) [5]
Enhanced Skills 1 (Acrobatics 4 ranks [1pp]) [1]
Enhanced Reflex Save 2 (2pp) [2]
Speed 4 (100mph [4pp]) [4]

Zanpakuto 3 (Device, Easy to Lose, PF: Restricted x2 [Ikkaku Only]; [15pp traits]; 11pp) [3]
Houzukimaru!

Piercing/Bludgeoning Strike 3 (PF: Improved Critical x2, Improved Block, Mighty, Split Attack x2 [9pp]) [3] - DC:23:tough
Grow Houzukimaru! (Shikai; Drawback [Attack Name] uncommon, minor; -1)
Enhanced Feats 5 (Extended Reach x3, Homing, Improved Block, Indirect [6pp])

Bankai!!! 8 (Battle Form 8; Flaw: Action [Full Round], PF: Slow Fade x2 [10 rounds], Drawback [Attack Name, uncommon, minor; -1]; [40pp traits]; 25pp) [8]
See Bankai Form

COMBAT: Base Attack +5, Melee +8, Ranged +5, Unarmed +10, Zanpakuto +12, Grapple +13 [Unarmed +5, 19-20 Critical (Bruise); Houzukimaru Strike +8, 18-20 Critical (Lethal/Bruise)]; Defense 18 (13 flat-footed); Init +11; Knockback -6

SAVES: Toughness +12 (+11 flat-footed), Fortitude +8, Reflex +6 (+8) (Evasion), Will +7

DRAWBACKS:

Abilities 32 + Skills 12 (48 ranks) + Feats 29 + Powers 75 + Combat 22 + Saves 12 – Drawbacks 0 = 182 / 182

Comments: Instead of Ichigo, I decided to go with Ikkaku Madarame as my first Bleach Soul Reaper build. The reason was that he was about the simplest to do since he does no Kido (magic) or have a complicated Bankai or Shikai with his Zanpakuto. He just goes in and kicks ass, period.

In the Soul Society's military, there are 13 squads of Soul Reapers known as the Gotei 13. Ikkaku is the 3rd seat in the 11th Division, ranked below the Captain and The Lieutenant. The 11th Division are the ass-kickers of the Gotei 13, known for their fighting skill and above all their desire to fight. Believe me, the Captain of Squad 13, Kenpachi Zaraki is on the short of characters to build since he embodies the spirit of his unit and of J-Mart, too, of course. Ikkaku, despite being the 3rd seat is actually more powerful than most Lieutenants and some Captains since he has achieved his Bankai, something only a few lieutenants and pretty much all the Captains have achieved. He tries to hide this fact, though, because he is afraid that if it is known, he will be forced into a promotion and he does not want that because he feels his life's purpose is to serve and die fighting under the command of Captain Zaraki.

I'm going to do a lot explaining on this build so that I can do far less on the others. Shinigami have certain standard powers amongst them. They can detect spirits and spiritual pressure and can usually tell individuals apart with that sense so they get a nice Super Sense Detection power. They also live for a long long time so they don't age and they cannot been seen by normal humans (they are spirits after all) so they get Concealment. Their spiritual pressure is called Reiryuko and depending on their levels, it determines their strength, agility and some other abilities. Some will get more feats and protection than others depending on the way the character is portrayed.

Shunpo is a technique that many Soul Reapers utilizies to move at speeds that are sometimes faster than the eye, but mostly used in close range situations. However, most of them have been shown covering lots of ground and even crossing Karakura Town (where Ichigo lives and where the show operates from in the Human World) so I didn't limit it. Again, it varies from character to character. Ikkaku here is about average. I mentioned Kido before and those are spells that some of the Shinigami are trained in. Ikkaku is not, but some upcoming builds will have that array built into their Reiryuko container.

The Zanpakuto, as I mentioned in my previous post, is a spiritually created weapon that all Soul Reapers wield. Some more powerfully than others and all of them slightly different. Ikkaku's is a three section spear type which is different from most who wield a variation of Katanas. In it's Shikai form, it simply gets bigger.

Now onto Bankai. As I was working through this, and other Soul Reaper builds, I thought it best to do with Tattooedman did and post their base form and their Bankai forms separately. So here is his Bankai form, done with the Battle Form power from Mecha and Manga which seemed to fit perfectly. I'll explain it after the build.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't tell anyone what you're about to see...

IKKAKU MADARAME (BANKAI FORM)
PL:
12 (180 pp); OPL: 12; DPL: 12

ABILITIES: STR: 28 [20] (+9/+5) DEX: 16 (+3) CON: 20 (+5) INT: 11 (0) WIS: 12 (+1) CHA: 14 (+2)

SKILLS: Acrobatics 6 (+9/+13), Bluff (+2), Climb (+9), Concentration 5 (+6), Diplomacy (+2), Disguise (+2), Escape Artist (+3), Gather Info (+2), Handle Animal (+2), Intimidate 6 (+8), Knowledge [Arcane Lore] 4 (+4), Knowledge [Tactics] 10 (+10), Notice 4 (+5), Sense Motive 9 (+10), Stealth 4 (+7), Survival (+1), Swim (+9)

FEATS: All-out Attack, Ambidexterity, Attack Focus (Melee) (3), Attack Specialization (1) [Unarmed], Attack Specialization (2) [Zanpakuto], Cunning Fighter, Defensive Roll (1), Improved Critical (1) [Unarmed], Improved Initiative (1), Power Attack, Takedown Attack (2), Tough (2)

REIRYUKO/HOHO ENHANCED FEATS: Luck (1)

SHUNPO ENHANCED FEATS: Dodge Focus (2), Evasion (1), Improved Initiative (1), Move-by Action

BANKAI ENHANCED FEATS: Dodge Focus (2), Last Stand, Luck (2), Ultimate Effort (1) (Ultimate Toughness Save)

POWERS:
Super Senses 9 (Spiritual Awareness, Detect Spirit Energy [Mental, Accurate, Acute, Ranged, Extended x2, Assessment]; 9pp) [9]
Concealment 10 (All Senses, Flaw: Limited [to spiritually unaware], Limited [only in human world], PF: Close Range; 4pp) [11]
Immunity 1 (Aging; 1pp) [1]
Reiryuko/Hoho 4 (Spiritual Pressure; Passive Container [20pp traits]; 20pp) [4]
Enhanced Feats 1 (see Feats [1pp])
Protection 4 (4pp) [4]
Leaping 3 (3pp) [3]
Super Movement 2 (Air Walking 2 [4pp]) [2]
Reiatsu Release 4 (Nauseate 4, Array, Extra: Area Burst, Flaw: Check Required [Concentration]; 8pp) [4] - DC:14:ref

Shunpo 3 (Flash Steps; Passive Container [15pp traits]; 15pp): [3]
Flash Step 1 (3pp) [3]
Enhanced Feats 5 (see Feats [5pp]) [5]
Enhanced Skills 1 (Acrobatics 4 ranks [1pp]) [1]
Enhanced Reflex Save 2 (2pp) [2]
Speed 4 (100mph [4pp]) [4]

Zanpakuto 3 (Device, Easy to Lose, PF: Restricted x2 [Ikkaku Only]; [15pp traits]; 11pp) [3]
Houzukimaru!

Piercing/Bludgeoning Strike 3 (PF: Improved Critical x2, Improved Block, Mighty, Split Attack x2 [9pp]) [3] - DC:23:tough
Grow Houzukimaru! (Shikai; Drawback [Attack Name] uncommon, minor; -1)
Enhanced Feats 5 (Extended Reach x3, Homing, Improved Block, Indirect [6pp])
Bankai!!! 8 (Battle Form 8; Flaw: Action [Full Round], PF: Slow Fade x2 [10 rounds], Drawback [Attack Name, uncommon, minor; -1]; [40pp traits]; 25pp) [8]
Ryuumon Houzukimaru!
Zanpakuto 3 (Extra: Hard to Lose [3pp]) [3]
Enhanced Strength 8 (Flaw: Escalates [2 rank per round after Bankai released]; 4pp) [8]
Enhanced Feats 6 (see Feats [6pp]) [6]
Enhanced Fortitude Save 2 (2pp) [2]
Protection 2 (2pp) [2]
Power Reserve 2 (Speed, Leaping; 4pp reserve [4pp]) [2]
Strike 3 (Extras: Auto-Fire, PF: Extended Reach, Improved Critical x2, Split Attack [7pp]) [3] - DC:27:tough
Regeneration 2 (Recovery Bonus +2 [2pp]) [2]
Regeneration 9 (Recovery Rate [10pp])

Bruised 1/round no rest [3]
Injured 1/round no rest [6]
PF: Diehard [1]

COMBAT: Base Attack +5, Melee +8, Ranged +5, Unarmed +10, Zanpakuto +12, Grapple +13 [Unarmed +9, 19-20 Critical (Bruise); Houzukimaru Strike +12, 16-20 Critical (Lethal/Bruise)]; Defense 20 (13 flat-footed); Init +11; Knockback -7

SAVES: Toughness +14 (+13 flat-footed) (Ultimate Save), Fortitude +10 (+8), Reflex +6 (+8) (Evasion), Will +7

DRAWBACKS:

Abilities 33 + Skills 12 (48 ranks) + Feats 29 + Powers 72 + Combat 22 + Saves 12 – Drawbacks 0 = 180 / 180

Comments: Ikkaku in his Bankai form goes up about 2 PLs from his base form. I'm generally going to using that type of bump for Bankai for all the characters that have it as well as the Resurrecion for the Arrancars.

In this form, Ikkaku gets stronger, but unlike him, he says that Houzukimaru is lazy and has to be woken up so it gets stronger after the battle starts until he reaches his full potential. One thing that Cake101 noted in his builds is that the characters get disarmed in their base form but once they use their Bankai, they rarely drop their weapon so I gave it the extra up to Hard to Lose. Also, when looking at the Bankai Strike and/or Blast extras included in the Battle Form, they stack with the base or Shikai abilities increasing the overall damage of the effect.

Battle Form in Mecha and Manga only allows you to stay in that form for a number of rounds equal to the number of ranks you take but you can extend it with Slow Fade like you can a Boost. 10 rounds in that form for Ikkaku is usually more than enough because usually once the characters go into Bankai mode, the fights don't take very long.

So that's my first Bleach Soul Reaper/Shingami build. Time and focus willing, there will be many more to come.
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shop J-Mart!

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: J-Mart: Samurai Specials, Bleach - Ikkaku

Post by Arthur Eld » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:16 pm

I would be more interested in Bleach, but there are so many episodes and volumes of the manga that it just seems too daunting to start watching. Then again, your take on the characters and the setting is so good, Thorp, I might have to give in and get to work watching the two hundred and some episodes.

Say by-bye, free time...

Bubble Boy
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Bubble Boy » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:10 am

I am in awe of your builds.
I sit here to trying to find the words.
Nope, not a one.
A phrase from a movie does come to mind though...

I'm not worthy!!! I'm not worthy!!!

:P

Great job! All the Anime builds I have seen lately have got me really interested in watching some. Now I just gotta find me a series that I can start to watch. Maybe Cowboy Bebop.

Looking forward to your next builds.

Bubbles

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:42 am

Arthur Eld wrote:I would be more interested in Bleach, but there are so many episodes and volumes of the manga that it just seems too daunting to start watching. Then again, your take on the characters and the setting is so good, Thorp, I might have to give in and get to work watching the two hundred and some episodes.

Say by-bye, free time...
Personally, I think it's totally worth it. And really, you can skip through most of 20-30 episodes that are throwaway episodes (IMHO) where they cover details about the characters' pasts that you can read in the Wiki or where there are two/three actual swings of a sword and the rest of the episode is talking about what they're going to do when they actually swing their swords... :wink: That's anime for you.

If you're watching the anime, the Bount arc is definitely filler, and I actually didn't watch most of that. I just started watching it on Adult Swim and they ran the first 40-50 episodes of the first arc and then stopped because they had to get the rights to and/or Kubo's folks needed to complete the English dubs. They started over from episode 1 and now they are up to episode 144. I think they are about to stop again shortly for the same reasons, then come back to it again. I hear the manga is better, but in most cases, the books are always are (i.e. Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, any movie based off a Stephen King book and so on).
Shop J-Mart!

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arthur Eld » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:51 am

Well, that's just the nature of the medium, really. Anime, especially longer-running ones, tend to have lots of filler episodes. Manga, which usually have more unusual schedules, usually do not, so the overall flow of the storyline is more clear and coherent.

Still, I'll definitely have to check out a few episodes of Bleach, if only so I can understand your awesome Bleach builds.

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Tattooedman » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:15 am

Nice way to start off the Bleach builds, Ikkaku is in my top 5 of favs in the show. I didn't like him at first but after seeing some of the stories about him and the rest of the advanced force living in the world of the living he kinda grew on me. I just love his attitude overall and your build really hits all his high points really well & his fighting style (the other big reason I like him). Short & sweet and right to the cut you down point, not too much spent on him wasting time with talking. He just kicks butt consistantly IMO.

Listing the Bankai seperately is way easier in the long run. You should've seen my original build of Ichigo (it was a huge mess!) til I just broke Bankai out as it's own sub-build. Again a great build cause the Bleach characters are something of a headache to build, nice work.
World of Freedom Setting 3E

"Your ignorance is not my burden."
-- Chiun

MDSnowman
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by MDSnowman » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:21 am

I love Bleach in theory, in practice I've seen enough of it to know that the awesome moments are counter balanced by some of the filler (The Bount Arc, and any episode with the TV psychic for example). I had the same problem with Naruto, great series but the filler was intolerable. I'm sure the manga are much better in this regard.

Generally I like to stick with anime series that are shorter and a little tighter in their storytelling.

You want a waste of time? Wolf's Rain. 30 episodes total.... not bad for 26 of them, but 4 of which are recaps from the perspectives of the four main characters. No short series needs 4 recap episodes.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:02 am

Bubble Boy wrote:I am in awe of your builds.
I sit here to trying to find the words.
Nope, not a one.
A phrase from a movie does come to mind though...

I'm not worthy!!! I'm not worthy!!!

:P

Great job! All the Anime builds I have seen lately have got me really interested in watching some. Now I just gotta find me a series that I can start to watch. Maybe Cowboy Bebop.

Looking forward to your next builds.

Bubbles
Thanks for the props, Bubbles. I'm trying to raise the quality of my builds from mediocre to just above mediocare so I'm glad that seems like I'm heading in the right direction. :wink:

Anime is a slippery slope. Like MDSnowman just said, there are usually a LOT of filler episodes but if you can live through them, the ones with actual action usually have a good payoff. Full Metal Alchemist only has about 51-52 episodes and wrap up movie so it's pretty manageable one to start if you're looking for a gateway show. It has some filler episodes, too, but not as many as Bleach or any of the longer running ones.
Shop J-Mart!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:12 am

Tattooedman wrote:Nice way to start off the Bleach builds, Ikkaku is in my top 5 of favs in the show. I didn't like him at first but after seeing some of the stories about him and the rest of the advanced force living in the world of the living he kinda grew on me. I just love his attitude overall and your build really hits all his high points really well & his fighting style (the other big reason I like him). Short & sweet and right to the cut you down point, not too much spent on him wasting time with talking. He just kicks butt consistantly IMO.

Listing the Bankai seperately is way easier in the long run. You should've seen my original build of Ichigo (it was a huge mess!) til I just broke Bankai out as it's own sub-build. Again a great build cause the Bleach characters are something of a headache to build, nice work.
Thanks. I borrowed heavily from your and Cake101's builds, then tweaked them to my liking. They are taking a while because even though I pretty much standardized their base Shingami powers into two Containers, their Shikai and Bankai powersets are a PAIN. And the Arrancars are really a pain. I started with Ulquiorra Cifer and so far, he's up to about 300pp. I'm going to have take another run at their base powerset since that seems like I could cheapen that quite a bit with smarter building.
MDSnowman wrote:I love Bleach in theory, in practice I've seen enough of it to know that the awesome moments are counter balanced by some of the filler (The Bount Arc, and any episode with the TV psychic for example). I had the same problem with Naruto, great series but the filler was intolerable. I'm sure the manga are much better in this regard.

Generally I like to stick with anime series that are shorter and a little tighter in their storytelling.

You want a waste of time? Wolf's Rain. 30 episodes total.... not bad for 26 of them, but 4 of which are recaps from the perspectives of the four main characters. No short series needs 4 recap episodes.
That's pretty funny. Filler does seem to be an anime standard, but I'm willing to live with it for episodes like Ed vs. Greed in FMA and Ichigo vs. Byakuya Kuchiki in their last thrown down in the Soul Society arc. Plus, thanks to the miracle of DVR and DVD/Blu Ray, you can skip a lot of fluff and just watch the good parts.
Shop J-Mart!

Angelkiller
Bystander
Bystander

Post by Angelkiller » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:19 pm

***deleted*** Awesome!!

I can't wait for more of your Bleach builds!

scc
Zealot
Zealot

Post by scc » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:30 pm

Finally putting something on the shelf again on aisle 2. A rare and obscure item.

Is it that time of the month already!

Battleaxe

"----------Character Details---------
Character Name: Anita Ehren
Character Alias: Battleaxe
Height: 6'0""
Weight: 480 lbs
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Brown
Power Level: 9.5 OPL-9.5 DPL-7.5
Power Points: 86
--------------------------------------
----------Ability Scores---------
Strength: 29 (+9/+1)
Dexterity: 12 (+1)
Constitution: 24 (+7/+2)
Intelligence: 10 (0)
Wisdom: 10 (0)
Charisma: 10 (0)
----------Saves---------
Toughness: +9
Fortitude: +7
Reflex: +2
Willpower: +2
----------Combat---------
Attack Bonus: +7 (melee), +4 (ranged)
Damage Bonus: Unarmed +9, Battleaxe +12
Grapple: +21
Defense Bonus: +6 (+2 flat footed)
Initiative: +1
Knockback: -6
----------Lifting Capacity---------
Light Load: 8.5 tons
Medium Load: 17.1 tons
Heavy Load: 25.6 tons
Max Load: 51.2 tons
Push/Drag: 128.0 tons
----------Movement Rate---------
Base Speed: 30 ft/r / 60 ft/r / 120 ft/r
Leap: 15 ft / 7 ft / 3 ft
----------Skills---------
  • Climb - 0 (+5)
  • Escape Artist - 0 (+1)
  • Intimidate - 6 (+6)
  • Notice - 2 (+2)
  • Stealth - 0 (+1)
  • Swim - 0 (+5)
----------Feats---------
  • All-out Attack: Reduce defense bonus to increase attack bonus
  • Attack Focus (Melee) (3): +3 bonus to melee attack rolls
  • Dodge Focus (2): +2 dodge bonus
  • Equipment (3): 15 points worth of equipment
  • Power Attack: Reduce attack bonus to increase damage bonus
  • Archaic Weapon Proficiency: No penalty using archaic weapons
  • Twin Weapon Strike: Use both weapons in a round as a full action
----------Powers---------
Power Broker Container Passive - Power Rank 9 - Cost 45
Density - Power Rank 4 - Cost 13
Description: +8 Str, +2 Imp Tgh, Immov, Sup-Str, X4 mass
Extras: Continuous
Flaws: Permanent
Power Feats: Buoyant
Enhanced Constitution - Power Rank 10 - Cost 10
Enhanced Strength - Power Rank 9 - Cost 9
Super-Strength - Power Rank 4 - Cost 10
Power Feats: Improved Grapple, Crushing Pin
----------Equipment---------

Twin Battleaxes{Strike 3 each} - Points 11
Power Feats: Mighty, Thrown, Split Attack
----------Cost Summary---------
Abilities: 8
Combat: 16
Saves: 3
Skills: 2
Feats: 12
Powers: 45
Total Cost: 86
--------------------------------------"

Comments:This is Battleaxe. She has fought the Thing, Captain America, and Ms. Marvel. She was originally a wrestler given enhanced abilities. Now she is just a common criminal. She is all offense. Her battleaxes can cause a lot of damage especially with the Twin Weapon strike feat from Mecha and Manga. I know the damage cannot go over her power level. Now since she does not have the ambidexterity feat does she receive a -4 or a -6 to her attack if she uses this feat? Not sure actually. And I assume since her attack goes down this allows her to do more damage while still being within power level limits. Could do a lot of damage if the dice rolls are good.