Jab's Builds: 2nd Edition Stuff (Kept in Reserve)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's JLU Builds!: K.Frost, Flash, Devil Ray, Fire, Aquaman

Post by Jabroniville » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:51 pm

ZATANNA (Zatanna Zatara)
Voice Actor: Jennifer Hale
Role: The Fishnet-Wearer, Paul Dini's Personal Fetish Queen
Finest Moment: Helping Batman fight Circe
PL 10 (150)
ST 8 (-1) DEX 16 (+3) CON 12 (+1) INT 14 (+2) WIS 18 (+4) CHA 20 (+5)

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+6)
Bluff 2 (+7)
Concentration 8 (+12)
Craft (Chemical) 4 (+7)
Diplomacy 3 (+8)
Drive 2 (+5)
Escape Artist 9 (+12)
Gather Information 4 (+9)
Handle Animal 3 (+8)
Investigate 2 (+6)
Knowledge (Arcane Lore) 11 (+13)
Knowledge (Theology & Philosophy) 11 (+13)
Language (Reverse English) 1
Notice 3 (+7)
Perform (Stage Magic) 9 (+14)
Search 2 (+6)
Sense Motive 4 (+8)
Sleight of Hand 8 (+11)
Stealth 3 (+6)

Feats:
Artificer, Attack Focus (Magic) 2, Attractive, Benefit (League Member), Contacts (Magic-Based People), Defensive Roll 2, Dodge Focus 3, Ritualist, Trance

Powers:
"Magical Powers" Variable Power 10 (Multiple Powers of Magic) (Flaws: Distracting) (Drawbacks: Power Loss- Needs Hands, Reverse Speech -2) [48]

Saves:
Toughness +1 (+3 D.Roll), Fortitude +3, Reflex +6, Will +7

Combat:
Attack +8 (+10 Magic), Damage -1 (+10 Magic), Defense +7 (+10 Dodge), Initiative +3

Complications:
Responsibility (Magic Career)

Abilities: 28 / Skills: 92--23 / Feats: 13 / Powers: 48 / Saves: 8 / Combat: 30 (150)

-Paul Dini has such a fetish for these girls. Even as far back as Jem & The Holograms, he was writing episodes frequently featuring both stage magic and girls dressed as magicians (fishnets, top hats, etc.). Once he MARRIED a girl like that, it was pretty much settled that he's shove Zatanna down everyone's throats if he ever got writing power. And power he got, with the Batman franchise. That said, Zatanna was a nice little character, though she was never as well-developed personality-wise as most DC heroines, and her powers are CONSTANTLY problematic. I mean, "Every power ever, just by saying it?" That is CHEAP, a Game-Breaker, and totally ludicrous for a series based around guys with individual powers coming together to make a team. That's probably why she was only seen in one episode as a major character.
-Zatanna's got some power, but it's Distracting (she's real easy to knock out if she's doing her Magic stuff, especially since she's a Glass Cannon) to counter-set it's usefulness. She's also a bad of handy tricks, knowing stuff about Magic, Sleight of Hand, Theology, etc., performing a secondary Skillmonkey Mage to Doctor Fate if need be.

catsi563
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Re: Jab's JLU Builds!: Flash, Devil Ray, Fire, Aquaman, Zatanna

Post by catsi563 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:33 pm

more good stuff.

noticed you missed flight on Fire
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

The Litterbox

http://www.fanfiction.net/~catsi563

King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Post by King Snarf » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:51 pm

Dug the Gargoyles builds, though I would've done things a bit differently, but most of what you've done I've been considering myself.

As for Dingo and Matrix, I was thinking doing them as a Gestalt, given what we've seen in the Bad Guys miniseries....

I've got a thread over here where I discuss doing a Gargoyles campaign.
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!

PamelaIsley
Zealot
Zealot

Post by PamelaIsley » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:31 pm

Wow, you're very down on Zatanna. :)

I kind of like her myself. Her original Batman TAS appearance is a pretty solid episode.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Jabroniville » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:24 pm

Hey, I said she was a nice little character :). There's just a dozen or so better ones lying around that DON'T have powers that're a pain in the arse to deal with. And yeah, that episode of B:TAS was excellent. I especially liked how she & her father were JUST stage magicians in that one- it made for some clever moments.

Catsi: D'oh! Sonova... I hate it when I miss the obvious stuff.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:56 am

I'm rather fond of Zatanna as a character myself, but I suspect that like any other magician she's murder to write well in comics.

Remind me again why DC and Marvel don't just have Jim Butcher come in and teach classes on how to write magic-using characters?
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Jabroniville » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:41 pm

PARASITE (Rudy Jones)
Voice Actor: Brion Jones
Role: The Power-Thief
Finest Moment: Nearly killed Superman several times in his own show
PL 10-12 (212)
ST 14 (+2) DEX 12 (+1) CON 18 (+4) INT 10 WIS 12 (+1) CHA 12 (+1)

Skills:
Bluff 6 (+7)
Intimidate 5 (+6)
Knowledge (Streetwise) 5 (+5)
Notice 4 (+5)
Profession (Thief) 4 (+4)
Stealth 8 (+9)

Feats:
Attack Focus (Melee) 2, Dodge Focus 2, Improved Grab, Improved Pin, Power Attack

Powers:
"Power Thief" (All Powers Linked)
Nullify All Powers 12 (Extras: Effortless) (Flaws: Touch Range) [36]
Drain Constitution 10 [10]
Mimic (All Traits) 15 (Extras: Extra Subject) [90]
Mind-Reading 5 [5]

Saves:
Toughness +4, Fortitude +7, Reflex +3, Will +4

Combat:
Attack +8 (+10 Melee), Damage +2 (+10 Drain), Defense +7 (+9 Dodge), Initiative +1

Complications:
Hatred (Superman, STAR Labs)

Abilities: 18 / Skills: 32--8 / Feats: 7 / Powers: 141 / Saves: 8 / Combat: 30 (212)

-Parasite is one of the old-school Superman villains, and is a great assist in his stories, because he's one of the few decent villains the guy has. I mean, with Batman, you had the option of like 20 damn awesome villains for the Animated Series. But Superman? He was pretty much stuck with Luthor in every episode except for the occasional bout with Toyman (sucks), Live Wire & Volcana (minor characters) and Bizarro (comedy villain). It wasn't until Darkseid showed up that he had classic non-Luthor opposition, so Parasite was always good. A lethally powerful villain, he nonetheless didn't really do much in JLU, as he was limited by whom he drained. And he was killed casually by Killer Frost.
-Yeah, that is one seriously powerful Drain/Mimic combo. Parasite can drain someone as powerful as Superman of all their powers, drain their Con at the same time (killing them), gaining their memories AND skills for a brief period of time, and basically turns into a lethal PL 12 powerhouse if he gets a kryptonian to duplicate. Much less powerful if he's fighting some regular League members, but if Superman fights him, watch out.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arthur Eld » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:54 pm

Is there a Reason you decided to go with that power structure instead of Transfer? I've never seen the latter power in action, so I don't know just how well crafted it is to do the things its supposed to emulate in comics, like the Parasite.

And Toyman did not suck. He was a little creepy, but hey, he's a villain.

PamelaIsley
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Jab's JLU Builds!: Flash, Fire, Aquaman, Zatanna, Parasite

Post by PamelaIsley » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:10 pm

Toyman is very creepy in the animated series.

He certainly was a worthy villain, but maybe better for Gotham and Batman than Superman.

King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Post by King Snarf » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:21 pm

Toyman was pretty good, though I can say I'm glad they only used him the handful of times they did. His best moment was fighting Killer Frost with the yo-yo in JLU.

The animated version was much better than the goofy, serial killer, "Psycho" rip-off they tried in the comics in the mid-90's.
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Jabroniville » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:11 pm

Arthur Eld wrote:Is there a Reason you decided to go with that power structure instead of Transfer? I've never seen the latter power in action, so I don't know just how well crafted it is to do the things its supposed to emulate in comics, like the Parasite.

Huh, actually I'd never even noticed that power in my UP (it's not next to any common powers). I just assumed I had to deal with the basic powers laid out there. I'll adjust it as necessary.

Edit: Okay, actually looking at it makes me realize that "Transfer" is kind of an ugly power with lots of math. I'd rather just stick with what I have down. It's likely of a similar cost, and is much easier to deal with.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Jabroniville » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:49 am

THE GENERAL (General Wade Eiling)
Voice Actor: J.K. Simmons
Role: Douchebag
Finest Moment: Delivered a savage beatdown to the weaker Justice Leaguers.
PL 10 (140)
ST 12/38 (+14) DEX 12 (+1) CON 14/34 (+12) INT 14 (+2) WIS 14 (+2) CHA 14 (+2)

Skills:
Bluff 4 (+6)
Computers 2 (+4)
Diplomacy 4 (+6)
Drive 3 (+4)
Gather Information 5 (+7)
Intimidate 5 (+7)
Knowledge (Current Events) 7 (+9)
Knowledge (History) 4 (+6)
Knowledge (Tactics) 6 (+8)
Notice 4 (+6)
Pilot 3 (+4)
Profession (Soldier) 8 (+10)
Sense Motive 5 (+7)

Feats:
Benefit 2 (General in Cadmus), Connected, Equipment 2 (Gun)

Powers:
"Captain Nazi Serum"
Growth 4 (Feats: Innate) (Flaws: Permanent) [9]
Enhanced Strength 18 [18]
Enhanced Constitution 16 [16]
Super-Strength 6 (Feats: Groundstrike, Shockwave) [15]
AP: Leaping 10
Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 8) [10]

Saves:
Toughness +14, Fortitude +14, Reflex +3, Will +5

Combat:
Attack +6, Damage +14, Defense +6, Initiative +1

Complications:
Responsibility (Cadmus, the United States)
Hatred (Metahumans)

Abilities: 22 / Skills: 60--15 / Feats: 5 / Powers: 68 / Saves: 8 / Combat: 24 (140)

-General Eiling got a fair bit of play on JLU, being the lead military commander of Cadmus, often doing Amanda Waller's dirty-work for her with his soldiers. It wasn't a beefy role for one J.K. Simmons (aka he who made Spider-Man movies a bit more awesome by being J.Jonah Jameson, and he who did much anal raping on HBO's "OZ", thus making me always look at him bossing Peter Parker around with a bit more trepidation than most), but it was a necessary one. Eventually he's demoted to 'pencil-pusher' after the Cadmus thing falls apart, and he comes to injest a top-secret formula to gain his OWN super-powers to finally rid the world of meta-humans once and for all. The irony is not quite lost on him, especially as he pummels the crap out of Shining Knight, Vigilante, S.T.R.I.P.E., Stargirl (aka the cutest teenage girl cartoon character in the history of ever), Green Arrow, Speedy & the Crimson Avenger... all heroes with no actual metahuman powers, just gadgets & gimmicks. He still gets beat.
-Eiling isn't much for combat normally, being easily one-punched out by Batman, who was casually walking and didn't even break stride when Eiling came at him with a gun. With the Captain Nazi Formula, he becomes a Hulk-like brute with insane super-strength, but is still really slow and easy to hit. He's actually PL 10 despite his raw power (he was beating the crap out of a group of PL 9s who didn't have alot of ways to break +8 Impervious Toughness), and the real Leaguers would've probably beaten him pretty bad, but hey, it's something.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Jabroniville » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:20 am

DOOMSDAY
Voice Actor: Michael Jai White
Role: Random Unstoppable Monster
Finest Moment: Beat the living crap out of Superman for a while
PL 12 (155)
ST 40 (+15) DEX 12 (+1) CON 34 (+12) INT 8 (-1) WIS 8 (-1) CHA 8 (-1)

Skills:
Pilot 4 (+5)

Feats:
All-Out Attack, Attack Focus (Melee) 2, Diehard, Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Grab, Power Attack, Rage

Powers:
Growth 4 (Feats: Innate) (Flaws: Permanent) [9]
Super-Strength 8 (Feats: Groundstrike, Shockwave) [19]
AP: Leaping 5
Protection 3 (Extras: Impervious 11) [14]
Regeneration 8 (Feats: Regrowth) (Unconscious 2, Bruised 2, Staggered 2, Disabled 2) [9]
"Spike Fists" Strike +1 (Feats: Mighty) [2]

"Perfects Himself From Past Defeats"
Adaptation 3 (Extras: Permanent) (Flaws: Must Be Defeated First -2) [15]

Saves:
Toughness +15, Fortitude +15, Reflex +3, Will +4

Combat:
Attack +6 (+8 Melee), Damage +15 (+16 Spikes), Defense +8, Initiative +1

Complications:
Obsession (Killing Superman)

Abilities: 38 / Skills: 4--1 / Feats: 10 / Powers: 74 / Saves: 9 / Combat: 28 (155)

-Doomsday's a villain with a goal: Kill Superman. That's it. It's all he can do. Just a relentless killing machine created by Cadmus to become Superman's ultimate enemy. It of course went horribly wrong. This is a big difference from the comics, where he's some weird Kryptonian thing that actually KILLED the Man of Steel. In the show, he pretty much exists on reputation alone, stalemating the Justice Lords upon their debut as the 'new' Justice League, and a showcase of their newer, more brutal methods of dealing with criminals. Lobotomized, Doomsday was stalled, but not for long. He doesn't even care that his hatred of Superman is forced upon him; he just wants to kill the guy.
-Doomsday's a beast, plain and simple, more than a match for Superman in melee combat. He's of course much more limited in his options (he basically just punches), but really, with PLUS SIXTEEN to his damage modifier, he doesn't need much else. Just a purely lethal monster. Note a few extra powers, though: He can regenerate from damage over time (not that quickly though- he's just REALLY tough and hard to hurt), and he can 'fix' himself from prior defeats. That's sort of the (edit- Adaptation, not Nemesis) Power, with the modification that his bonuses DON'T go away, but with the Flaws that he has to actually LOSE via those methods first, which as far as Flaws go, is pretty severe.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PamelaIsley
Zealot
Zealot

Post by PamelaIsley » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:23 am

Jabroniville wrote:
Arthur Eld wrote:Is there a Reason you decided to go with that power structure instead of Transfer? I've never seen the latter power in action, so I don't know just how well crafted it is to do the things its supposed to emulate in comics, like the Parasite.

Huh, actually I'd never even noticed that power in my UP (it's not next to any common powers). I just assumed I had to deal with the basic powers laid out there. I'll adjust it as necessary.

Edit: Okay, actually looking at it makes me realize that "Transfer" is kind of an ugly power with lots of math. I'd rather just stick with what I have down. It's likely of a similar cost, and is much easier to deal with.
I don't blame you. I find transfer almost impossible to use.

Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's JLU Builds!: Aquaman, Zatanna, Parasite, Doomsday

Post by Kreuzritter » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:38 am

not to nitpick, but considering it's purely defensive, wouldn't Adaptaion be better than nemesis?
Kreuz Control Promotions: over 2800 builds served, and counting...
Crinoverse: Contributions