Jab's Builds: 2nd Edition Stuff (Kept in Reserve)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's Builds!: King of the Hill- Hank, Dale, Bill, Boomhauer

Postby Jabroniville » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:56 pm

"Vaya... con dios."

MONSIGNOR MARTINEZ
Played by: Mike Judge
PL 7 (105)
ST 14 (+2) DEX 16 (+3) CON 16 (+3) INT 16 (+3) WIS 18 (+4) CHA 16 (+3)

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+6)
Bluff 7 (+10)
Craft (Electronic) 4 (+7)
Disable Device 5 (+8)
Disguise 3 (+6)
Drive 4 (+8)
Escape Artist 7 (+10)
Gather Information 7 (+10)
Intimidate 5 (+8)
Investigate 6 (+9)
Knowledge (Current Events) 5 (+8)
Knowledge (History) 3 (+6)
Knowledge (Streetwise) 6 (+9)
Knowledge (Theology & Philosophy) 7 (+10)
Notice 4 (+8)
Profession (Police Officer) 6 (+9)
Search 5 (+9)
Sense Motive 4 (+8)
Stealth 3 (+6)
Survival 2 (+6)

Feats:
Accurate Attack, Attack Focus (Ranged) 2, Attractive, Dodge Focus 2, Equipment 2 (Pistol +4), Fascinate (Bluff), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Makeshift Weapons), Master Plan, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Startle

Saves:
Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Reflex +6, Will +6

Combat:
Attack +6 (+8 Ranged), Damage +2 (+4 Pistol), Defense +6 (+8 Dodge), Initiative +4

Complications:
Enemy (Many)

Abilities: 36 / Skills: 96--24 / Feats: 14 / Powers: 0 / Saves: 6 / Combat: 24 (105)

-A running gag on the show, Monsignor Martinez is a TV character, apparently a priest-hero/undercover cop who has numerous evil enemies amongst Mexico's underworld. He's about as good as a PL 7 (105) guy is going to get with just a gun, and he's a master of laying traps.
---

"Huhh... I like her. She's so TALL..."

JOSEPH GRIBBLE
Played by: Brittany Murphy, then Breckin Meyer
PL 2 (21)
ST 14 (+2) DEX 16 (+3) CON 16 (+3) INT 8 (-1) WIS 8 (-1) CHA 8 (-1)

Skills:
Knowledge (Pop Culture) 3 (+2)
Notice 2 (+1)
Profession (Quarterback/Athlete) 3 (+6)

Feats:
None

Saves:
Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Reflex +4, Will 0

Combat:
Attack +1, Damage +2, Defense +1, Initiative +3

Complications:
Obsession (Girls)

Abilities: 10 / Skills: 12--3 / Feats: 0 / Powers: 0 / Saves: 4 / Combat: 4 (21)

-Joseph is pretty much a horrific example of what growing up is like for most pre-teens. While Bobby is still chubby & boyish, Joseph gets hit HARD by puberty, growing massive overnight, and has all the classic signs that the KotH writers REALLY remember their post-pubescent years. He's awkward, clumsy, overly tall, skinny, ugly, has acne, and has the worst classic 'wispy 'stache' look ever. His popularity gets a boost once his natural athletic side takes over and he starts playing good football, but he's still an emotional mess of a person, and taking his mental side from his father doesn't help matters. In fact, it's a rather sweet story that despite obviously not being Dale Gribble's actual blood, he's more like him than any other cast member, believing in his stupid alien stories & stuff about the government.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's Builds!: King of the Hill- Bill, Boomhauer, Martinez

Postby Jabroniville » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:23 pm

TicketMaster Lady: "Um, sir, those seats you want are obstructed view!"
Lucky: "Yeah, little lady, but when (guitarist from band he likes) gets up on the big speaker for his gee-tar solo, they's the best seats in the ENTIRE HOUSE..."

ELROY "LUCKY" KLEINSCMIDT
Played by: Tom Petty
PL 2 (11)
ST 10 DEX 10 CON 10 INT 6 (-2) WIS 6 (-2) CHA 8 (-1)

Skills:
Diplomacy 4 (+3)
Drive 6 (+6)
Knowledge (Pop Culture) 6 (+4)
Notice 2 (+0)
Perform (Gee-tar) 4 (+3)
Profession (Cat-Fisting, aka catching catfish with bare hands) 5 (+3)
Profession (Stumping) 5 (+3)
Search 4 (+2)

Feats:
Attack Specialization (Stick-Fighting), Equipment 2 (Sweet Truck)

Saves:
Toughness +0, Fortitude +2, Reflex +2, Will +1

Combat:
Attack +0 (+2 Stick-Fighting), Damage +0 (+1 Stick), Defense +1, Initiative +0

Complications:
Obsession (Truck Racing)
Obsession (White Trash-Rock)
Responsibility (Luanne & child)

Abilities: -10 / Skills: 36--9 / Feats: 3 / Powers: 0 / Saves: 7 / Combat: 2 (11)

-Lucky has some mixed opinions on him in the KotH fandom. Played by Rock God Tom Petty (who makes the best damn music videos ever), he's a foolish, simpleton redneck who was just a background character in an episode where Kahn becomes a redneck after giving up on the troubles in his life. Catching on with the writers, Lucky showed up again and again, hooking up with Luanne of all people, which had the unfortunate side effect of cutting her character growth and drawing her 'back to the trailer park' as Peggy put it. So despite not being very popular, I found Lucky kinda funny, especially since it let the writers use all the redneck humor they typically didn't show with the more 'normal' main cast.

---

"Aw, Hank, Miss Liz (his wife) could tolerate my drinkin', and my gamblin', an' my adulterin'... but all three at once?"

BUCK STRICKLAND
Played by: Toby Huss
PL 0 (5)
ST 10 DEX 6 (-2) CON 8 (-1) INT 12 (+1) WIS 12 (+1) CHA 12 (+1)

Skills:
Bluff 5 (+6)
Diplomacy 4 (+5)
Knowledge (Business) 5 (+6)
Profession (Gambling) 2 (+3) -- (Uses Wisdom)
Profession (Manager, Strickland Propane) 4 (+5)

Feats:
Benefit (Wealth)

Saves:
Toughness -1, Fortitude -1, Reflex -1, Will +1

Combat:
Attack +0, Damage +0, Defense +0, Initiative +0

Drawbacks:
Disbled (Poor Health, Fatally Vulnerable to Getting Excited or Extra Effort) [-2]

Complications:
Addiction (Philandering)
Addiction (Alcohol)
Addiction (Gambling)
Reputation (Corrupt Alcoholic, Gambler & Philanderer)

Abilities: 0 / Skills: 20--5 / Feats: 1 / Powers: 0 / Saves: 1 / Combat: 0 / Drawbacks: -2 (5)

-Buck Strickland is the source of alot of humor in the show, one of the most corrupt businessmen on TV. A running gag is Hank's defense of him, in spite of being pretty clearly the antithesis of all that is Hank (he follows trends, he cheats, he steals, he philanders, etc.), out of some bizarre sense of loyalty for bringing him to Propane all those years ago. Stats out as a pretty useless, fat old man, despite some business savvy (but not too much- his businesses tend to barely make do). Not much good in a fight, either, and he's always having "infarctions", nearly dying on the spot.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's Builds!: King of the Hill- Martinez, Lucky, Buck

Postby Jabroniville » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:32 pm

So that does it for my King of the Hill builds! TV-based builds are a fun little 'between' thing to do when I've just finished a monster set of complicated super-heroey stuff (like the JLU or upcoming X-Men). They're just a diversion, though, not very meaty.

In any case -My next set of TV-related builds will be from "Pushing Daisies", a short-lived (two 12-episode seasons) TV series by Brian "I write weird crap" Fuller. This phenomenal little show was done like a dark comedy/fairy tale; a story about a humble Piemaker who was born with the gift to raise the dead... but only for sixty seconds. Should that time elapse, another will die in their place. And should he ever touch that person/animal/thing again, they will die again, this time forever. Sound weird? Well there's more. He brings his dead first-crush to life, and forms a joint venture with a detective, actually reviving the dead victims of violent crime and ASKING them who killed them. This leads to ludicrous amounts of grotesque dark humor (a lady who falls dead onto a lighthouse spotlight and MELTS; a woman stung to death by bees, leaving her a giant mass of oozing bumps, etc.), funny lines, musical numbers, whodunits, etc., all with a bizarre outlook on scenery and dialogue. Such a tragedy it only lasted 24 episodes (ALL OF THEM GOOD amazingly).

luketheduke86
Hero
Hero

Postby luketheduke86 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:40 am

Thanks very much for the Martinez build Jab. For there not being a lot of info on him you sure did an excellent job! I especially like the improved critical for makeshift weapons 8).
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:53 pm

"I prefer being a tightly-wound person, rather than some sort of shapeless mass with room for surprises."

THE PIEMAKER
Played by: Lee Pace
PL 20 (85)
ST 10 DEX 12 (+1) CON 12 (+1) INT 12 (+1) WIS 12 (+1) CHA 11

Skills:
Bluff 4 (+4)
Diplomacy 4 (+4)
Drive 2 (+3)
Gather Information 2 (+2)
Handle Animal 5 (+5)
Investigate 3 (+4)
Notice 2 (+3)
Profession (Piemaker) 13 (+14)
Search 3 (+4)
Sense Motive 2 (+3)

Feats:
Attractive, Minion 2 (Digby the Reincarnated Golden Retriever)

Powers:
"Return the Dead to Life"
Animate Objects 10 (Feats: Progression 5) (Extras: Duration-Continuous) (Flaws: Touch Range, Limited to Dead Things) [25]
(all Animated Dead retain full abilities from life, but will die if he touches them again)
"If 60 Seconds Passes, Another Must Die in Their Place"
Drain Constitution 20 (Extras: Perception Range 2) (Flaws: Must Bring the Dead to Life First -2) [20]

Saves:
Toughness +1, Fortitude +2, Reflex +3, Will +4

Combat:
Attack +3, Damage +0, Defense +3, Initiative +1

Complications:
Responsibility (Loves the Girl Called Chuck)
Responsibility (The Pie Hole)
Responsibility (Emerson Cod's Detective Agency)
Secret (Can Bring the Dead to Life)

Abilities: 9 / Skills: 40--10 / Feats: 3 / Powers: 45 / Saves: 6 / Combat: 12 (85)

DIGBY (Reincarnated Golden Retriever)
PL 4 (23), Minion Rank 2
ST 8 (-1) DEX 14 (+2) CON 16 (+3) INT 2 (-4) WIS 14 (+2) CHA 6 (-2)

Skills:
Notice 6 (+8)
Sense Motive 2 (+4)
Survival 4 (+6)

Feats:
Endurance, Improved Trip

Powers:
Super-Senses 3 (Low-light Vision, Track, Scent) [3]
Speed 1 [1]
"Bite" Strike 1 (Feats: Mighty) [2]

"Dead Brought to Life"
Immunity (Aging) [1]

Saves:
Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Reflex +5, Will +5

Combat:
Attack +4, Damage -1 (+0 Bite), Defense +5, Initiative +2

Drawbacks:
No Hands [-4]
Mute [-4]
Weakness (Will Die if Touched by the Piemaker; Rare, Instant, Major, Fatal) [-5]

Abilities: 0 / Skills: 12--3 / Feats: 2 / Powers: 6 / Saves: 7 / Combat: 18 / Drawbacks: -13 (23)

-So Ned here is the main character, a shy lad who was sent away to boarding school after his mother's death. This is made more tragic because after she died of a brain aneurysm, he brought her back, only to accidentally kill his girlfriend's father because of the aforementioned "60 Seconds" rule. Then she died ANYWAYS because she kissed him goodnight, touching him. So it's no wonder he's withdrawn and doesn't like conflict or emotions much. And talks funny. And doesn't understand that his co-worker Olive Snook is in love with him.

-Ned's got a pretty weird, complex power. He technically is very powerful, being able to kill ANYONE within 100 feet of him, even accidentally, but he's never used it offensively in the show. In fact, on only a couple instances has any human ever died of it, since he's very careful to touch whatever he revives again. Otherwise, he's a very mediocre main character, having few non-Pie-based skills, usually focusing on minor-level detective work. He's just a foot-man for Emerson Cod most of the time, with his one trick only being used a couple times. So yeah, the Animate Objects Power gets used, but with some weird Limits & Extras put on it. Anything touched by him will live forever, unless he touches them again, an instant fatality worth a -5 Drawback I guess.

---

THE GIRL CALLED "CHUCK"
Nickname by Emerson Cod: "Dead Girl"
Played by: Anna Friel
PL 1 (26)
ST 8 (-1) DEX 12 (+1) CON 10 INT 10 WIS 12 (+1) CHA 16 (+3)

Skills:
Bluff 2 (+5)
Diplomacy 3 (+6)
Disguise 2 (+5)
Gather Information 2 (+5)
Handle Animal 5 (+8)
Investigate 2 (+3)
Knowledge (Pop Culture) 4 (+4)
Knowledge (History) 4 (+4)
Knowledge (Current Events) 4 (+4)
Language (English, French, German, Chinese, Japanese, Swedish) 5
Notice 2 (+3)
Profession (Beekeeper) 4 (+4)
Profession (Piemaker) 4 (+4)
Sense Motive 2 (+3)

Feats:
Attractive, Beginner's Luck, Jack-of-All-Trades

Powers:
Immunity 1 (Aging) [1]

Saves:
Toughness +0, Fortitude +1, Reflex +2, Will +3

Combat:
Attack +1, Damage -1, Defense +1, Initiative +1

Drawbacks:
Weakness (Will Die if Touched by the Piemaker; Rare, Instant, Major, Fatal) [-5]

Complications:
Responsibility (Loves The Piemaker)
Responsibility (Caring for Emotionally-Stunted Aunts, Lily & Viviane Charles)

Abilities: 8 / Skills: 44--11 / Feats: 3 / Powers: 1 / Saves: 4 / Combat: 4 / Drawbacks: -5 (26)

-"Chuck", as she's known by the "Pushing Daisies" world, is played by big-eyed English actress Anna Friel, faking an American accent with great skill (but seriously, what the hell is it with all these big-eyed & mouthed actresses running around now? Is that the new stereotype for pretty? Friel, Mary-Louise Parker, Zooey Deschanell, etc!). She's the loving, caring daughter of the man Ned accidentally killed, and is brought back to life by his magic finger, but alas, though they quickly fall in love all over again in her second life, she's unable to ever touch him again, lest she fall dead forever. They try not to let it get to them, but various events in the show prove that they long to touch once more, but they can make do with saran wrap, plastic suits and (implied) masturbation while the other watches (told you this show had a weird sense of humor).

-Chuck is arguably the 'dead weight' of the group in a lot of ways, not having Ned's magic touch or Cod's detective skills, but she's got the ability to come up with random useful information, thanks to a long live with her shut-in aunts, stuck reading all sorts of books, giving her adequate Feats to bring up any kind of skill she needs. Also, she's a master of languages, to the surprise of the rest of the cast. And yes, she has the Weakness that if Ned touches her skin-to-skin, she'll die instantly (and forever this time), but as a bonus, she's immune to the effects of Aging, and will never get older than she is right now, as seen by the dog, Digby, living for at least twenty years by this point.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:56 pm

One of Ned's Half-Brothers: "We've got invitations for all of you to come to our first Magic Show!"
(the girls get wildly excited & start clapping)
Emerson: (sarcastically) "oooooh a MAGIC SHOW! Now where did I put that RAT'S ASS I could give?... Oh yeah, I don't have one."

EMERSON COD
Played by: Chi McBride
PL 3 (62)
ST 16 (+3) DEX 10 CON 16 (+3) INT 14 (+2) WIS 16 (+3) CHA 16 (+3)

Skills:
Bluff 4 (+7)
Disable Device 2 (+4)
Drive 4 (+4)
Escape Artist 4 (+4)
Gather Information 5 (+5)
Intimidate 5 (+8)
Investigate 6 (+9)
Knowledge (Art) 4 (+6)
Knowledge (Behavioral Sciences) 5 (+7)
Knowledge (Business) 4 (+6)
Knowledge (Civics) 4 (+6)
Knowledge (Current Events) 5 (+7)
Knowledge (Streetwise) 2 (+4)
Notice 4 (+7)
Profession (Knitter) 4 (+6)
Profession (Pop-Up Book Writer/Maker) 2 (+4)
Profession (Detective) 5 (+7)
Search 5 (+8)
Sense Motive 2 (+5)

Feats:
Equipment 4 (Nearly-New 1960 Lincoln Contintental, Pistol +4), Power Attack

Saves:
Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Reflex +1, Will +3

Combat:
Attack +2, Damage +3 (+4 Pistol), Defense +2, Initiative +0

Complications:
Obsession (Money)
Addiction (Knitting)
Responsibility (Wants to Find his Missing Daughter)

Abilities: 28 / Skills: 76--19 / Feats: 5 / Powers: 0 / Saves: 2 / Combat: 8 (62)

-In a world of total weirdness, a nervous cast & odd dialogue, you needed a more centred personality. And that personality is Emerson Cod, the detective who forms a partnership with Ned upon discovering his 'gift' at bringing back murder victims so they can finger their own killers, and thus sharing the (very high) profits with him. A greedy, dishonest & overly-blunt man (he actually tells a lovesick Olive that the Piemaker "likes her (Dead Girl) in a way he'll never like you"), Emerson nonetheless has many aspects. Number One of which is his missing daughter, taken years ago by his ex-wife to her life of conning the wealthy once she'd outlived her stay in the local community. Things like this draw him on, keeping him human in a world that makes him look pretty soulless sometimes. He tolerates Ned's foppishness, and appreciates "Itty-Bitty's" help on a few cases, but draws the line at "Dead Girl", who usually just annoys the crap out of him with her bright & cheery ways.

-Emerson is much more stat-heavy that Chuck, and way more skill-heavy than the one-note Ned. He's an excellent (though human-level, not Batman-level) detective on his own (he occasionally has to go at it without Ned's Magic Finger), though he often fails to question people properly or come to the proper conclusion until someone he knows is almost dead. He is an excellent knitter, though, and knows a fair bit about making Pop-Up books, as his big plan for getting his daughter back is having her read "Lil' Gumshoe" and use it's clues to come find him. And he's by far the best of the group in a fight, being a really big, heavy man with a gun.

---

"Close your eyes, give me your hand, darling
do you feel my heart beating, do you understand?
do you feel the same, am I only dreaming?
is this burning an eternal flame?
I believe it's meant to be, darling
I watch when you are sleeping, you belong with me
or is this burning an eternal flame?
Say my name, sun shines through the rain
a whole life so lonely, and then you come and ease the pain
I don't want to lose this feeling.
Close your eyes, give me your hand
do you feel my heart beating, do you understand?
is this burning an eternal flame? ..."

OLIVE SNOOK
Nickname by Emerson Cod: Itty-Bitty
Played by: Kristin Chenoweth
PL 1 (46)
ST 6 (-2) DEX 14 (+2) CON 10 INT 10 WIS 12 (+1) CHA 14 (+2)

Skills:
Bluff 2 (+4)
Diplomacy 2 (+4)
Handle Animal 6 (+8)
Investigate 4 (+5)
Knowledge (Theology & Philosophy) 5 (+5)
Notice 3 (+4)
Perform (Singing) 11 (+13)
Profession (Piemaker & Waitress) 7 (+7)
Profession (Nun) 2 (+2)
Ride 13 (+15)
Search 2 (+3)
Sense Motive 2 (+3)

Feats:
Minion 1 (Pigby), Tough, Ultimate Skill (Ride)

Powers:
"Being Played by Kristin Chenoweth"
Shrinking 4 (Feats: Innate) (Flaws: Permanent) [5]
Feats: Attractive 2 [2]

Saves:
Toughness +0, Fortitude +1, Reflex +4, Will +2

Combat:
Attack +1 (+2 Size), Damage -2, Defense +2 (+3 Size), Initiative +2

Complications:
Responsibility (Loves the Piemaker)
Secret (Gave Up Horseracing Following the Death of a Rival)
Guilt (Loves the Piemaker Despite Chuck Being Her Best Friend)

Abilities: 10 / Skills: 64--16 / Feats: 3 / Powers: 7 / Saves: 4 / Combat: 6 (46)

PIGBY THE TRUFFLE-HUNTING SOW
PL 1 (6), Minion Rank 2
ST 8 (-1) DEX 12 (+1) CON 10 INT 2 (-4) WIS 8 (-1) CHA 4 (-3)

Skills:
Notice 4 (+3)
Survival 6 (+3)

Feats:
Tough

Powers:
Shrinking 4 (Feats: Innate) (Flaws: Permanent) [5]
Super-Senses 2 (Acute Scent, Low-light Vision) [2]

"Tusks"
Strike 2 (Feats: Mighty) [3]

Saves:
Toughness +0, Fortitude +1, Reflex +1, Will +1

Combat:
Attack +2, Damage -1, Defense +2, Initiative +1

Drawbacks:
No Hands [-4]
Mute [-4]

Abilities: -12 / Skills: 16--4 / Feats: 1 / Powers: 10 / Saves: 3 / Combat: 8 / Drawbacks: -8 (6)

-Oh, Kristin Chenoweth, how I love thee... Seriously, she's 4'11", has an oversized bosom for a NORMAL person, and plays hyperactive sexpots in all her appearances! How can you not love that? As Olive Snook, she plays a squeaky-voiced waitress who's in love with the Piemaker (which he doesn't find out for quite a while, despite some OBVIOUS hints, like her getting up on a coffee table to go eye-to-eye with him and flirting), but finds herself becoming best pals with Chuck, the supposedly-dead woman who won his heart. Kind of an odd character, she joins the gang's mystery-solving adventures, despite being the only one unaware of Ned's true gift. She knows Charlotte is supposed to be dead, but hides her 'fakery' from others, trusting the gang on her word. She's also the loyal go-between for Chuck & her beloved Aunts, bringing them free pies. It's kind of a hard role to place, but she's irreplaceable on the show, especially when Kristin lays out those REALLY high-pitched love ballads (the woman can sing in a high-FC! since I know nothing about music, I'm assuming that's good).

-Olive is a talented Jockey & Singer, and is beautiful and friendly, but not much good in a fight. Shrinking 4 on a normal person? Well, 4'11" isn't exactly the height requirement, but screw it, it's funny because she's so tiny (the real-life actress weighs 97 pounds)! She can sing, make pies, and is a reasonably good minor detective thanks to helping the gang out on some cases.

ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's Builds!: King of the Hill, Pushing Daisies!

Postby ClassDunce » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:11 am

The Fabulous Ms. Chenoweth has been doing Musical Theater most of her adult life and is absolutely hilarious, if you ever get the opportunity to hear some of her performance as Glenda the Good from Wicked it would be very worth your time.
"When they ask how I died, tell them: still angry." - Quellcrist Falconer

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:44 am

Nice Pushing Daisies builds, Jab, that was such a great show its a shame they canceled it.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:31 am

ClassDunce wrote:The Fabulous Ms. Chenoweth has been doing Musical Theater most of her adult life and is absolutely hilarious, if you ever get the opportunity to hear some of her performance as Glenda the Good from Wicked it would be very worth your time.

The "Wicked" soundtrack has like three of the Top 25 Most Played songs on my i-Pod :)... I'm just too proud to normally admit it on the internet.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:37 am

Here's a little list of mine to cap off these builds:

The Top Ten Moments in Pushing Daisies:
1) The Darling Mermaid Darlings' big rivals do their aqua-dance, one of them doing a giant leap... and a giant Great White Shark makes it's own at the same time. Has to be seen to be believed.
2) Emerson Cod's aforequoted "Now where did I put that Rat's Ass I could give?" line. I am TOTALLY stealing that whenever my friends go on about Battlestar Galactica or something.
3) Kristen Chenoweth's Olive Snook singing "Hopelessly Devoted To You", and then The Bangles' "Eternal Flame" on separate occasions. The tiny lady packs one HELL of a voice.
4) Ned searches a rich man's den for a lost note, only to walk through the door and find a roof PACKED with taxidermied animals. Not the kind of place he & his "magic finger" want to be in.
5) Lily Charles is choked 'to death' by the same man who murdered Chuck over a lost statuette. When he tries the same to Ned, Lily comes back into the picture, says "I can hold my breath a REAL LONG TIME" and calmly blows him away with a huge shotgun, sending him crashing through a window to his death.
6) The mother of a man Olive is partially responsible for the death of thanks her for "not marrying" out of regret. When Olive, annoyed, questions how the woman knew she wasn't married, and the woman looks at the giant Chenoweth-sized cleavage and says "You don't hang bait like THAT with a belly full of fish".
7) An obvious Colonel Sanders knock-off is found fried to death in his own vat of chicken-seasoning. Ned revives him & does the sixty-second questioning. At the very end, the man excitedly realizes he can now find out what he'd taste like chicken-fried. And then DOES.
8.) The entire gang is COMPLETELY screwed, trapped in a sunflower-powered car that will engage in a Crash Test against a brick wall thanks to the villain's death trap. Except that Emerson Cod had revealed his nervous tic of constantly-knitting just earlier, and thus whips out a knitting needle, freeing them from their body-bags and takes control of the car.
9) Dwight Dixon, an old friend of Chuck & Ned's fathers, has sinister motives regarding some lost lockets. Seeking to murder Ned & Chuck via sniper scope, he waits just a little too long, and dies because Chuck secretly allowed her 20-years-dead father to live (she slid a glove on his hand when Ned came to 'touch him back'), thus taking an equivalent life. We of course didn't discover this until well after the fact.
10) The sudden, last-minute reveal at episode's end that NED'S VANISHED FATHER is the one who saved Ned & Olive from certain death, not Chuck's father, as they thought. It never got dealt with before the show was cancelled via the Writer's Strike.

Next up: The X-Men!

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:55 am

Common Mutant Traits:
Abilities: Strength +2, Constitution +2
Feats: X-Men Uniform (various attributes, but usually +1 Toughness, Radio Link and possibly a portable Cerebro Detect-Mutants-Ranged thingie)
Powers: "Mutant Powers"- any combo of stuff, generally themed around one basic effect.
-Mutants in the Marvel Universe are typically at-base really strong ordinary people. It doesn't get brought up MUCH, but there are instances like the dancing disco-Dazzler commenting that even she is stronger than she looks thanks to being a mutant. Mostly in the old days, but it's worth noting that even the skinny girl characters are remarkably strong, able to KO grown men with one kick more often than not. The X-Men uniforms go over iterations sometimes, but generally have the above-mentioned powers, being Equipment 1. In the Claremont days, I've seen Storm just fire a bolt of lightning and change her civvies to her costume because of "Unstable Molecules", but I think they realized that was silly and unnecessary, so is best ignored.

Here's my "To Do" List for the whole group. I've already pre-done some guys during the time the board was down, so that's why Cyclops, Dazzler, Thunderbird, Warpath, Banshee & Raza aren't on here anymore. Also, Maggot, Marrow, Sunfire & at least one other character have been built by me recently, so that's why they're not on here as well.

Original Five:
Marvel Girl
Iceman
Angel
The Beast
Professor X (5)

Additions:
Mimic
Changeling
Havok
Polaris (4)

Giant-Size:
Nightcrawler
Storm
Colossus
Marvel Girl
Wolverine (5)

1980s:
Shadowcat
Phoenix (Jean Grey)
Rogue
Phoenix II (Rachel Summers)
Longshot

Psylocke (original)
Moira MacTaggart
Forge
Empress Lilandra (9)

X-Factor:
The Beast
Archangel
Iceman (3)

Excalibur:
Captain Britain
Meggan
Cerise
Kylun
Pete Wisdom (6)

1990s:
Gambit
Psylocke (Ninja)
Jubilee
Bishop
Wolverine (Bone Claws)

Joseph
Revanche (7)

X-Factor (90s version):
Strong Guy
Multiple Man
Mystique
Wolfsbane (4)

Starjammers:
Corsair
Ch'od
Madame Hepzibah
Bug-Thing (4)

Older New Mutants:
Danielle Moonstar
Magma
Magik
Karma (4)

2000s:
Chamber
Husk
M
Thunderbird III
Sage

The White Queen (Diamond body)
Xorn I
Xorn II
Stacy X
Lifeguard

Slipstream
Warpath (Blades)
Darwin
Armor
Omega Sentinel

Pixie
Korvus (17)

Cerebro X-Men:
Landslide
Grey King
Mercury
Xaos
Crux
Rapture (6)

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:58 am

CYCLOPS (Scott Summers)
Eras: Original Roster, Giant-Size, X-Factor (80s), Blue Strike Force Leader, New X-Men, All Cartoons & Films
Nicknames: Cyke, Slim (he used to be fairly skinny)
Hook-Ups: Jean Grey (60s-90s), Lee Forrester (teased), Madelyn Pryor (80s), Emma Frost (modern day)
Finest Moment: Faked his death against Mastermind, causing Dark Phoenix to freak out, then immediately saving his entire team in the span of seconds (OR) His entire mass-rescue of the team from Breakworld, deliberately dying after speaking of a massive secret just so the Emperor would bring him back to life, thus getting [b]face to face with him
Role: The Leader, The Stoic, The Alpha Couple (with Jean), The Tactician
PL 11 (165)
ST 18 (+4) DEX 18 (+4) CON 20 (+5) INT 16 (+3) WIS 18 (+4) CHA 13 (+1)

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Bluff 4 (+5)
Computers 2 (+5)
Diplomacy 4 (+5)
Intimidate 5 (+6)
Investigate 3 (+7)
Knowledge (Current Events) 6 (+9)
Knowledge (History) 4 (+7)
Knowledge (Tactics) 9 (+12)
Knowledge (Theology & Philosophy) 5 (+8)
Notice 6 (+10)
Pilot 4 (+8)
Sense Motive 4 (+8)
Stealth 3 (+7)
Survival 3 (+7)

Feats:
Accurate Attack, Attack Focus (Ranged) 2, Attractive, Blind-Fight, Defensive Roll, Equipment (X-Men Uniform), Improved Aim, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Sunder, Inspire, Leadership, Lionheart, Master Plan, Power Attack, Precise Shot, Seize Initiative, Set-Up, Teamwork 2, Ultimate Aim

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Optic Blasts" Targetted Blasts
Blast 11 (Feats: Improved Critical 4) (Extras: Penetrating, Area-Cone) (Flaws: Touch Range) [40]
AP: Blast 11 (Feats: Improved Critical 4) (Extras: Penetrating, Area-Line) (Flaws: Touch Range)
AP: Blast 11 (Feats: Improved Critical 4) (Extras: Autofire)
AP: Blast 11 (Feats: Improved Critical 4, Ricochet 2, Precise, Split Attack 2) (Extras: Penetrating)
Immunity 1 (His Own Powers & Havok's) [1]

"Trained Power"
Super-Senses 1 (Communication Link- Jean Grey) [1]

Saves:
Toughness +5 (+6 D.Roll, +7 Uniform), Fortitude +7, Reflex +7, Will +9

Combat:
Attack +9 (+11 Ranged), Damage +4 (+11 Optic Blast), Defense +9 (+11 Dodge), Initiative +8

Drawbacks:
Disabled (Optic Blasts become Permanent and he loses all APs without Visor, Major, Common) [-6]

Complications:
Responsibility (Loves Jean Grey, then Emma Frost)
Rivalry (Wolverine in general)
Responsibility (Xavier's Dream)
Responsibility (Leads the Team)
Enemy (Mister Sinister specifically)

Abilities: 43 / Skills: 64--16 / Feats: 22 / Powers: 42 / Saves: 12 / Combat: 36 / Drawbacks: -6 (165)

-Cyclops is kind of a iffy issue with X-fans. Some consider him a boring, flat character with one notable power, and thus they ignore him. Others (like me) worship him for what he is- the guy with the disadvantageous power who got stuck with the leadership job, and ended up making the most of it. And when you think about it, Cyke has probably the most leadership feats of any character in comics, ever. Because while Captain America & Mr. Fantastic are just standard battlefield leaders, Slim is constantly giving "THIS is why he is the leader" moments- in Joss Whedon's "Astonishing", and plenty in Claremont's era as well. Cyclops is so good because he has nothing else going for him- he isn't the greatest fighter like Cap, or the smartest like Reed.

-That said, Cyclops is also a fascinating character study. Riddled with standard "60s character" self-pity, he's stand-offish, uncharismatic, and kind of a dick to his teammates. But at the same point, he realizes that leadership is kind of a lonely biz, so he focuses on what friendships he can make (especially with the ladies), and did his best to live up to Xavier's dream, even when he thought Xavier wasn't. So even the "Yes Man" to Chuck eventually turned his back on the old bastard after all these years, becoming his own man in the process.

-In fact, if I had to take a stab at it, I'd say Scott Summers is one of the Top Ten or Twenty most in-depth characters in all of comics, surpassing many of DC's A-League, and plenty of Marvel's as well. And not just because of that Family Tree, either (though that's a major defining trait if I ever saw one... Jean Grey, Madelyn Prior, the Phoenix, Rachel Summers, X-Man, Cable, Havok, Vulcan and God knows who else?).

-Cyclops is proof of one of the great ironies: Despite at his heart being a simple blaster, he's one of the hardest guys to stat up using the one system that's nearly perfect for ALL of comic books! Probably him & Green Lantern are among the hardest & weirdest to figure out. Most people have his Blast be Permanent, and stat up the Visor as a Device, but I just said 'to hell with it' and stuck a 6-point Drawback onto him, because of all the myriad effects (it isn't a PERMANENT Blast... he just can't SEE if he turns it off). It's easier to deal with and stat up that way, and you aren't left with a Device that only fixes Flaws & gives APs.

-There's also his PL. The X-Men are the defining Gold Standard for PL 10 (150) 'basic' heroes, but y'know what? Cyclops ain't no damn PL 10. This guy can demolish a Sentinel in seconds just by taking off his glasses. He's damaged Stryfe, Magneto, the Hulk & others. That thing his high-powered, and in no way is Cyke weak in the accuracy department. Hell, I actually had to shrink his 'actual' accuracy down because it'd pop him up to PL 12 & 13, which he shouldn't be at. Cyclops is the X-Men team leader for a reason. So he's PL 11 (165), but a bit weaker on Defense. He's got all kinds of combat Feats, allowing him to shift his caps around at will with his Blasts. The Blast itself is +11, with varied Area Effects & Penetrating on all of them. He can use Autofire if necessary (flicking the visor up and down), and has a Feat-based basic Blast with Ricochet, Precise, etc. Few Blasters are more versatile.

-Additional side things: He's immune to his & Havok's powers, he has a permanent CommLink up with Jean Grey that even master telepaths have a hard time putting down. He's a phenom of a team player, has Master Plan (rare among heroes), and is physically VERY good as well.

Here's two additional versions of Cyke, for completionists out there:
CYCLOPS (Scott Summers)
PL 10 (150)
ST 16 (+3) DEX 18 (+4) CON 18 (+4) INT 16 (+3) WIS 16 (+3) CHA 12 (+1)

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Bluff 4 (+5)
Computers 2 (+5)
Diplomacy 4 (+5)
Intimidate 5 (+6)
Investigate 3 (+7)
Knowledge (Current Events) 6 (+9)
Knowledge (History) 4 (+7)
Knowledge (Tactics) 9 (+12)
Knowledge (Theology & Philosophy) 5 (+8)
Notice 6 (+10)
Pilot 4 (+8)
Sense Motive 4 (+8)
Stealth 3 (+7)
Survival 3 (+7)

Feats:
Accurate Attack, Attack Focus (Ranged), Attractive, Blind-Fight, Defensive Roll, Equipment (X-Men Uniform), Improved Aim, Improved Disarm, Improved Sunder, Inspire, Leadership, Power Attack, Precise Shot, Seize Initiative, Set-Up, Teamwork, Ultimate Aim

Powers:
"Mutant Power: Optic Blasts" Targetted Blasts
Blast 10 (Feats: Improved Critical 4) (Extras: Penetrating, Area-Cone) (Flaws: Touch Range) [38]
AP: Blast 10 (Feats: Improved Critical 4) (Extras: Penetrating, Area-Line) (Flaws: Touch Range)
AP: Blast 10 (Feats: Improved Critical 4) (Extras: Autofire)
AP: Blast 10 (Feats: Improved Critical 4, Ricochet 2, Precise, Split Attack 2) (Extras: Penetrating)

"Trained Power"
Super-Senses 1 (Communication Link- Jean Grey) [1]

Saves:
Toughness +4 (+5 D.Roll, +6 Uniform), Fortitude +6, Reflex +6, Will +7

Combat:
Attack +9 (+10 Ranged), Damage +4 (+11 Optic Blast), Defense +9 (+11 Dodge), Initiative +4

Drawbacks:
Disabled (Optic Blasts become Permanent and he loses all APs without Visor, Major, Common) [-6]

Complications:
Responsibility (Loves Jean Grey, then Emma Frost)
Rivalry (Wolverine in general)
Responsibility (Xavier's Dream)
Responsibility (Leads the Team)
Enemy (Mister Sinister specifically)

Abilities: 36 / Skills: 64--16 / Feats: 17 / Powers: 40 / Saves: 11 / Combat: 36 / Drawbacks: -6 (150)

-Just in case you need a PL 10 (150) Cyclops for some reason, here's one. This guy fits the Cyclops at the start of the "All-New, All-Different Giant Size" X-Men. Well beyond his teenage years, and now a great leader, but not as good as he'd later be.

CYCLOPS (Scott Summers)- Circa First Class
PL 8 (105)
ST 12 (+1) DEX 16 (+3) CON 14 (+2) INT 14 (+2) WIS 14 (+2) CHA 10

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+6)
Diplomacy 5 (+5)
Knowledge (Current Events) 4 (+6)
Knowledge (Tactics) 5 (+7)
Knowledge (Theology & Philosophy) 5 (+7)
Notice 4 (+6)
Pilot 3 (+6)
Sense Motive 4 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+5)
Survival 3 (+5)

Feats:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Improved Aim, Improved Disarm, Improved Sunder, Leadership, Power Attack, Precise Shot, Set-Up, Teamwork, Ultimate Aim

Powers:
"Mutant Power: Optic Blasts" Targetted Blasts
Blast 8 (Feats: Improved Critical) (Extras: Penetrating, Area-Cone) (Flaws: Touch Range) [26]
AP: Blast 10 (Feats: Improved Critical) (Extras: Penetrating, Area-Line) (Flaws: Touch Range)

Saves:
Toughness +2 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +5, Reflex +5, Will +5

Combat:
Attack +8, Damage +1 (+8 Optic Blasts), Defense +8 (+10 Dodge), Initiative +3

Drawbacks:

Complications:
Responsibility (Loves Jean Grey)
Rivalry (Angel)

Abilities: 20 / Skills: 36--9 / Feats: 15 / Powers: 27 / Saves: 8 / Combat: 32 / Drawbacks: -6 (105)

-Here's Cyclops as he appeared in the 1960s-era Stan Lee books. A skinnier, less confident hero who was constantly nervous about his crush on Jean Grey & rivalry with Angel, he still had a pretty decent Blast. Lacking alot of what later made him great, he doesn't match his PL's points-value. I kinda wanted him to, but it just wasn't happening without boosting tons of skills he rationally didn't have.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's X-Men Builds!: King o/t Hill, Pushing Daisies, Cyclops

Postby Jabroniville » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:13 pm

The '80s Defined: SPACE PIRATES!!

RAZA LONGKNIFE
Eras: 80s Space Adventures, Modern-Day War of Kings (only in The Starjammers, never the X-Men)
Finest Moment: Nearly killed the Black Knight
Role: Filler Starjammers member
PL 9 (135)
ST 25 (+7) DEX 22 (+6) CON 24 (+7) INT 16 (+3) WIS 14 (+2) CHA 12 (+1)

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+10)
Bluff 4 (+5)
Computers 5 (+8)
Disable Device 4 (+7)
Escape Artist 2 (+8)
Gather Information 4 (+5)
Intimidate 5 (+6)
Knowledge (Current Events) 4 (+7)
Knowledge (Technology) 3 (+6)
Notice 6 (+8)
Pilot 3 (+9)
Search 4 (+6)
Sense Motive 4 (+6)
Stealth 4 (+10)

Feats:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Defensive Attack, Diehard, Dodge Focus 2, Endurance, Environmental Adaptation (Alien Worlds), Equipment 3 (Built-In Computer, Laser Guns +5 Autofire), Improved Critical (Hand-Blade), Improved Disarm, Power Attack, Set-Up, Startle, Takedown Attack, Teamwork, Track

Powers:
"Cyborg Body"
Super-Strength 1 [2]
"Hand-Blade" Strike 2 (Feats: Mighty) [3]
Protection 1 (Extras: Impervious 5) [6]
Super-Senses (Infravision) [1]
Speed 1 [1]
Leaping 1 [1]

Saves:
Toughness +8, Fortitude +8, Reflex +8, Will +6

Combat:
Attack +9, Damage +7 (+5 Laser Guns, +9 Hand-Blade), Defense +8 (+10 Dodge), Initiative +8

Drawbacks:
Vulnerable (Magnetic Attacks) [-2]

Complications:
Responsibility (The Starjammers)
Enemy (The Shi'Ar Empire)
Responsibility (Son)

Abilities: 49 / Skills: 56--14 / Feats: 19 / Powers: 14 / Saves: 7 / Combat: 34 / Drawbacks: -2 (135)

-So yeah, I'm doing the Starjammers at the same time as the X-Men. Hey, there's only like five of the buggers, and nobody's gonna get all excited about "Jab's Official Starjammers Builds!" on their own :). Raza's probably the weakest overall member in terms of character, just being an intense 80s-looking cyborg instead of something cool like a giant lizard named after pubes or a hot furry Skunk-babe. He's got pointy ears, a ponytail, a hand-blade and some guns, but he's really nothing super-special, so he was given a 'long-lost son' storyline and that's about it.

-I figure most of the Starjammers as PL 9s. They're handy in a scrap, and very skilled, but one-on-one against a true-blue X-Man or Marvel Super-Hero, and they're gonna fall short. Raza should theoretically be a PL 10 given his accuracy AND Super-Strength, but I put him to more reasonable balanced +9 in Attack & Damage to put him on the right level. They're just not capable enough to go higher, really. He's a pretty good PL 9 (135) character, mind you, being tough, fast, strong & cutty.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Postby Thorpacolypse » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:25 pm

Here, here on Cyclops. He's a fave of mine and he doesn't quite get his due normally. He always does in the Thorpacoverse, though. :wink:

If you haven't see it, go to Dailymotion.com and watch the Greatest Fan Film of All Time. It's from the same dudes that did Batman's Gonna Get Shot in the Face. He gets props there, especially in the meeting of the "leaders" with Cap, Superman, the Red Ranger, Lion-O, and Leonardo and in the big final battle. 8)
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

luketheduke86
Hero
Hero

Postby luketheduke86 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:32 pm

I used to really hate Cyclops when I was younger, I always felt like he was too much of a "boy scout", and I just kind of ignored him in favor of more bad-ass characters like Gambit and Wolverine. It didn't help that in the cartoons and comics he always seemed to get overshadowed by other characters *cough Wolverine cough* or they would focus too much on his flaws without showcasing any of his good traits. But after actually READING about him and rewatching the old X-men TAS a while ago, he's really climbed the ladder as one of my favorite heroes. Kudos for defending him Jab and building a really awesome character.
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.

Return to “Roll Call”