The Combined DCU-Marvel Universe thread

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Psistrike
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Psistrike » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:44 am

Great work from everyone since I last read this thread. Now how about a funny adventure with Wolverine and the Marvel family? :lol:

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:25 am

My dear red-haired one, flattery will get you anywhere. :wink:

(I'm trying to think up a good excuse - I mean pretext - for a crossover between Cap'n Marvel and Wolverine. What if King Kull tried putting together a pack of all the various fuzzy monsters of DC and Marvel?)
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Setothes
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Setothes » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:31 am

And now, the idea of a Captain Marvel / Wolverine crossover made me wonder what a Captain Marvel / Wolverine amalgam would look like...

Strength of an elephant, speed of a cheetah, etc., with a totem-sort of theme?

thebat82
Bystander
Bystander

Post by thebat82 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:11 am

Hi Charles & co!

I'm a new poster and huge Batman fan.

I enjoyed immensely reading your profiles for characters on this shared universe and I'd like to see a full profile for Batman, complete with interaction between him, Spiderman, Cap America, Wolverine, Black Panther, Daredevil, Punisher and Iron Man as far as heroes (or antiheroes) go, and with Red Skull, Kingpin, Bullseye, Green Goblin, Venom and Carnage as far as villains go.

Keep up the good work!

thebat82
Bystander
Bystander

Post by thebat82 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:12 am

Just to be clear, I'd do the profile myself, but I fear I wouldn't be really objective.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:34 am

& co posting: My dear chap, this is a place of ideas, not objectivity. If you have ideas regarding a merged DC/Marvel Universe please post them.

If they're good, we'll brainstorm with and compliment you, if they're not we'll give you some constructive criticism and brainstorm with you - shoot you down gently then lift you back up, as it were. :wink:

So please, by all means post. :D
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

thebat82
Bystander
Bystander

Post by thebat82 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:03 pm

Hi Libra!

Well, then I'm going to post a profile ASAP, after I thought it through.

I'm going to incorporate elements of the other profiles involving Batman & related (like the ones regarding JLA & Avengers or the RIP one).

Captain Commander
Cohort
Cohort

Post by Captain Commander » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:29 pm

Just read this thread from start to finish. Man that was an hour well spent. Poor old Quicksilver.

Just wondering (ie requests)
- Marvel's first family, the Fantastic Four.
- The Eternals (and Thanos ofcourse).
- Wolverine. (Yeah I'm a big fan).

thebat82
Bystander
Bystander

Post by thebat82 » Fri May 01, 2009 5:13 pm

Batman

He wasn't bitten by a radioactive bat. He doesn't have power far surpassing that of common man. He wasn't enhanced in mind and body by a super-serum. Yet, he was one of the most formidable heroes around.

Not many people know he was just a normal human being that, thanks to his great wealth and far greater intelligence, drive and grim determination, trained his mind and body to near perfection. And the few who know that are surprised. Like Captain America.

He was sent to capture the Dark Knight by Nick Fury and Amanda Waller, who couldn't stand to see their operations in Gotham disrupted by a lone vigilante. To his surprise, first he was stalemated hand to hand, then got taken down twice. First with one of the few nerve strikes Cap didn't know, then with clever use of weaponary that bypassed the shield. Ultimately Cap cornered Bats and was one move away from taking him out, but Bruce convinced him to let go, and the 2 ended up teaming up against Red Skull and Ra's Al Ghul, who, helped by Deathstroke and Taskmaster, were taking advantage of the situation to try & take over Gotham and use it as a base for operations.

The alliance between Cap and Bats and the intervention of Nick Fury (who decided that Batman remaining free was better than the alternative) and Nightwing ruined their plan. Taskmaster learned that a well-placed batarang can trump hundreds of copied moves and sophisticated weapons, wheras Slade was left to wonder what's worse: an angry Batman who finally chooses to use his arsenal against you, or an angry Cap who opts to use your skull for practice with his shields (his normal one and the back-up, energy one)? Also Red Skull learned something, almost losing his life courtesy of Ra's: when choosing your allies, make sure they don't really hate nazis and aren't waiting the right moment to let you know that.

After that fight, Bruce and Cap remained in good terms. They each admired the other's fighting skills, albeit Bats made no misteries he didn't like the fact that Cap's physical prowness was due in large part to, essentially, a drug, something Batman couldn't respect. They often teamed up to take on a common enemy. They cooperated as part of their respective teams, with Cap usually acting as field leader of the assembled heroes (Bruce would have preferred to be the one in charge, but begrudgingly recognized that not only Steve had tactical skill rivalling his own, but also superior leadership abilities, so he recognised it best for Cap to lead) and Batman often coming up with the right plan to handle the threat they faced. Cap was also the only hero who openly spoke up against the governement decision to make Gotham a No Man's land after the quake, and was part of the reason why that decision was reversed. Wheras Bats assisted Cap during the Civil War, and, while he could't prevent his death after the conclusion of the war, he made sure to let Tony know of his displeasure by disabling his armour with an EMP (something that led Tony to upgrade his protection against such attacks) and giving him a good beating.

Basically, the only thing that prevented Cap and Bats from becoming real friends was Batman's tendency to use fear as a weapon rather than to inspire. Something that Steve, given Bruce's qualities, couldn't understand. And Bruce's tendency to boss his fellow heroes around didn't sit well with Cap, either. Despite this, they remained close associates, their bond strenghtening when they discovered each of them lost a partner in action, blamed himself for it and later had to face the former ally turned enemy. In that, Cap was luckier, since Bucky eventually mended fences with him. The same can't be said for Bruce and Jason Todd.

Save for Cap, his JLA allies (and, even then, things like the Tower of Babel and the Omac Projects incidents, both in no small part due to Batman's paranoia and not adequate security, put a strain on relationships for some time), his Bat-family and few others, Bats never got along that well with the rest of the heroic community:

1 - The Avengers, while grateful for the fact that his deductions were instrumental in ending the first Skrull invasion, remained diffident of Batman (and after all, he did have back-up plans against them, in case they would turn evil or be possessed).

2 - Thor in particular mistrusted Bats due to the fact the Enchantress had a brief relationship with him, after seducing him. And the second time Bats tried to boss the thunder god around, only Cap's intervention prevented Bruce from taking an hammer-strike at the face.

3 - Black Panther was the only Avenger, barring Cap, to ever come close to an understanding with Batman. Then again, they were very similar: dark heroes with incredible wealth, smarts and fighing abilities. Maybe, they were too similar to be as close allies as Cap and Bats were. The fact Bats knew Panther had dealings with Doom didn't help.

4 - During an adventure alongside the Fantastic Four, Mister Fantastic recognised Bruce's intelligence, but regretted that he wasted it, according to him, in his crusade, wheras he could have honed it, maybe even reaching Reed's level. Richards also had to prevent Ben from clobbering Bats, after the caped crusader got on Thing's nerves.

5 - During a team-up against Ra's Al Ghul and the Hand, Wolverine was that close to put his claws through Batman. Who, on his part and being aware of Logan's healing factor, previously had used explosives to blow him up. Eventually, they did join forces against the opponents. And, in another occasion, Bats helped Wolverine close some Neverland camps for mutants. But to say that they never were close to be friend would be an understatement.

6 - Daredevil is another hero with whom Bats clashed. Matt learned at his expenses why Baman was called "the world's greatest detective", once the Dark Knight quickly figured out Matt was blind & had enhanced senses, thus using sonics to take him out. They eventually joined forces against Kingpin and Black Mask (who were allied to take New York and Gotham, until Kingpin turned against Roman and came close to kill him), with Daredevil coming handy when Fisk, after a tough fight, had finally cornered the Caped Crusader: it took their combined efforts to put Wilson down, that night. Later, each found out the other's identity and they came to respect each other. But the man without fear really couldn't get along well with a man who uses fear as his main weapon.

7 - As far as other vigilantes go, Punisher once came to Gotham in pursuit of Jigsaw, sort of teamed up with Batman against him and Joker and, when he was about to kill the killer clown, was taught by Bats the hard way that murdering vigilantes aren't welcome in Gotham. Frank never returned in the city.

Oddly enough, Batman was in good terms with Spiderman. Peter admired him almost as much as he did Cap and Superman, wheras Bruce respected Peter's intelligence & competence, and Spidey's attitude (and agility) reminded him of Nightwing, thus leading him to soften up. So, while they did have a brief scuffle in their first meeting when Bats tried to get him out of Gotham, they quickly came to an understanding and ended up making a good team against Goblin and Joker, who had joined forces to kill their nemesis once and for all. Batman managed to nearly stalemate Goblin (who was so impressed with his performance that, years later, would remember it and send Hawkeye/Bullseye to recruit Bats..or kill him......needless to say, Bullseye was returned in a box, badly beaten and with a warning to stay out of Gotham) long enough for Spidey to subdue Joker and come back to help.

Some time later, Joker travelled to NYC with his minions to get his revenge on Spiderman. He captured him, but Spidey started mocking him, broke free, and kept mocking him while beating down the clown and his followers. Batman, who had gotten wind of Joker's plot, arrived on the scene just in time to see the police take the killer clown into custody: the villain kept complaining non stop about Spidey and swearing he would never come to New York again. Bats did what GCPD considered doing after learning what happened: he actually invited Peter to stay in Gotham. But Spidey declined, since he loved New York too much.

However, he did come to visit Gotham again when he learned that Hush had manipulated Venom and Carnage to attack Bats. To his surprise, when he arrived, Batman had already handled the 2 villains. As Bruce himself explained, Hush' mistake was to overdo it: against Venom or Carnage, Bats would have had an hard time escaping with his life, let alone winning. But, with them attacking the Caped Crusader at the same time, and knowing about their strained relationship, it was child's play for him to turn one against the other. And with them not focused on him, Bats easily managed to get enough distance from them so he could toss several sonics and firebombs on them, taking them out. He had studied them and knew of their weaknesses. And getting a crack at Carnage was a bonus, since he considered him a superpowered Joker.

Later, Bruce helped Spidey against a version of the Sinister Six, wheras Spiderman came to assist the caped crusader when Kingpin, to pay the Dark Knight back for helping defeat him years ago and taking advantage of the quake & the No Man's edict, tried to export his criminal empire in Gotham City.

Batman and Spiderman remained in good terms despite Peter initially siding with Stark during the Civil War. Bats openly criticized him for that and for revealing his secret identity to the world, predicting the consequences this would have had. But was there to confort him after Aunt May was shot and to help him track the ones responsible for that. Not that Peter or Bats himself remember this, given that Peter's deal with Mephisto, alongside Batman's memory of Peter's secret identity (that later Bats found out on his own), erased May's shooting from existence.

Spiderman, and with him the rest of the heroic and criminal community, is wondering where is Batman right now. Rumors are that he is dead and, judging by the way things are spinning out of control in Gotham City, that may very well be the case. According to some, he sacrified himself to help defeat Darkseid in a Multiverse threatening conflict that most people seem to have forgotten, and has underwent a cycle of death and rebirth in alternate realities. According to others, he faked his death to do some soul searching after a clash with Simon Hurt (possibly the Devil, one of them, anyway) and the Black Glove left him with questions about his crusade and how to continue it (sticking to terrify criminal, or trying to inspire hope?).

Both stances may be correct: immediately after the clash with the Black glove, during the recent Skrull invasion, the only skrull designed to not turn back to original form in any case was sent to capture Batman and replace him. The 2 clashed, the Skrull lost, was left with an identity crisis and escaped. It's entirely possible he, convinced to be Batman, took his place either against Darkseid or afterwards, meaning he either could have died or could be the Batman wondering what to do of his life.

The only certain thing is that another individual dressed as Batman is killing criminals left and right and is fighting Bruce's former proteges. According to rumors, it's Jason Todd.

Davies
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Davies » Fri May 01, 2009 5:21 pm

thebat82 wrote: Also Red Skull learned something, almost losing his life courtesy of Ra's: when choosing your allies, make sure they don't really hate nazis and aren't waiting the right moment to let you know that.
Um ... since when does Ra's hate Nazis? According to the story that introduced Talia's sister, Nyssa, he expressed the idea that "his cause could only be aided by the millions who will be exterminated by Hitler's scheme."

Chris Davies.
"You are a crazy, manipulative sociopath with no regard for the feelings of others."
"Remember that if you ever get it into your head to hurt her."
-- from Josh & Imp

Captain Commander
Cohort
Cohort

Post by Captain Commander » Fri May 01, 2009 11:42 pm

thebat82 wrote:BatmanWheras Bats assisted Cap during the Civil War, and, while he could't prevent his death after the conclusion of the war, he made sure to let Tony know of his displeasure by disabling his armour with an EMP (something that led Tony to upgrade his protection against such attacks) and giving him a good beating.
Tony upgrade his armor against EMPs? :D I always find it amusing how often Iron Man gets downed by an EMP. He can absorb electricity and with modifications pretty much any electromagnetic blast sent at him (to boost his own armor energy reserves). He has magnetic powers built in including the ability to resist Magneto's bag of tricks (including Magneto's EMPs). He has counters built against Chaos Magic (even though he doesn't seem to have studied Magic) which should go to show how much protection his armor actually has. But as soon as a hand held EMP device is used against his armor, BAM, down it goes. :shock:

thebat82
Bystander
Bystander

Post by thebat82 » Sat May 02, 2009 4:31 am

Davies wrote:
thebat82 wrote: Also Red Skull learned something, almost losing his life courtesy of Ra's: when choosing your allies, make sure they don't really hate nazis and aren't waiting the right moment to let you know that.
Um ... since when does Ra's hate Nazis? According to the story that introduced Talia's sister, Nyssa, he expressed the idea that "his cause could only be aided by the millions who will be exterminated by Hitler's scheme."

Chris Davies.
One thing is taking advantage of the Nazi's scheme to further his own goal, another is liking them. I personally believe that, ultimately, Ra's would make sure that nazis and the likes were among the 99% of world's population to die.

And, anyway, he also opposed Nazis, as revealed in Batman: Son Of The Demon (a story that, at this point, should be partly in continuity, since it was there that the concept of Batman and Talia's son was first introduced).

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Sun May 03, 2009 9:24 am

I have to agree with The Bat: Ra's was using Hitler's regime for his own purposes rather than supporting it.

Excellent work on your first write-up, by the way oh Bat. I'll post a few thoughts on it tomorrow. :D

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Re: The Combined DCU-Marvel Universe thread

Post by Voltron64 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:59 am

Bumped.

Hey Charles, you wouldn't mind updating this baby again, would ya?
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

RomLoneWolf23
Daredevil
Daredevil

Re: The Combined DCU-Marvel Universe thread

Post by RomLoneWolf23 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:09 pm

Well, while waiting for Charles, I'm tempted to make an entry myself...

Marc Spector, Moon Knight

There are many who dismiss the vigilante known as Moon Knight as being little more then a psychotic Batman impersonator, a brutal, insane, pitiless thug who wears a cape as an excuse to beat up on criminals, blaming it on an ancient egyptian god of vengeance.

And Marc Spector would be inclined to agree.

A natural born soldier, he served in the U.S. Marine corps before getting discharged for striking a commanding officer. He joined a mercenary outfit alongside Jean-Paul "Frenchie" Duchamp and Raul Bushman. While the former was an inherently good man, Bushman was pure evil, and Spector found himself going either way. With no true direction in life or any real inspiration, Spector just drifted along as a mercenary. Until Egypt.

Right before Desert Storm broke up, Bushman's crew stumbled upon an archeological dig by Dr. Peter Alraune in the Valley of the Kings. Knowing that U.N. and Allied forces would be too busy to keep an eye on the situation, Bushman realized there was an opportunity there. He and his men (Frenchie and Spector accompanying) attacked the camp, murdered Dr. Alraune, looted the priceless artifacts and gold. Spector, in a (at the time) rare show of conscience, objected to Bushman's brutal slaughter of the civilian camp workers, and allowed Alraune's daughter Marlene to escape. In anger, Bushman beat Spector to within an inch of his life and left him in the desert to die. It was there that Marc found God.

Or at least, a god. Khonshu, the egyptian god of the Moon, the Taker of Vengeance, and one of the most terrible of the Heliopolitan deities. He appeared to Marc in a near-death experience vision, and made him an offer he couldn't afford to refuse. Khonshu saved Spector's life, and in exchange, he became the deity's avatar, donning his vestments and doling out justice in Khonshu's name. His first target was Bushman. Tracking him and his thugs down, Spector attacked them dressed in the white cloak of Khonshu, and caused even Bushman to tremble in fear, making him lose face in front of his men.

This would not be the last time Spector would face Bushman. or cause him to lose face...

Upon returning to civilization (New York City, in this case), Spector took on the mantle of the Moon Knight, adapting the traditional depiction of Khonshu and combining it with a costume (deliberately) resembling that of Batman, and began to wage war against New York's criminal underworld. To aid him in this mission, Moon Knight developped additional identities: One was Steven Grant, a multi-millionaire playboy investor who rubbed shoulders with the likes of Stark, Wayne, Fisk and Luthor. As Grant, he could spy on the country's most wealthy and immoral people. The other was Jake Lockley, a hard-bitten taxi driver cruising the streets of New York, which would allow him to keep an ear on the goings-on of the city's underworld.

In addition to those two identities, Spector also had, in his words, "more loyal friends then [he] deserved." Marlene Alraune and Frenchie had returned with him to America, and helped him with putting his Vigilante operation together. Frenchie himself would serve as a pilot, transporting Moon Knight across the city in his custom helicopter, while Marlene ended up falling in love with Marc. In his Jake Lockley identity, Moon Knight also befriended Gena, a lovely short order cook at Jake's favorite hole-in-the-wall, and Crawley, a humble, dirty bum who was the best informan Moon Knight could have ever hoped for.

Some of Moon Knight's earliest battles were against wannabe villains like Conquer-Lord, the rapier-wielding Lupinar, and his first team-up with Spider-Man, against the Maggia and their own mercenary, Cyclone. His real first test would be against the international crime group called the Committee, and their attempt at capturing and harnessing the werewolf Jake Russell for their own purposes. More encounters would follow: the Midnight Man (a copycat of the Night-Thief Batman had fought), the villainous insomniac psychic Morpheus, a returning Bushman, and Moon Knight's own "Dark Mirror", the savage Black Spectre.

Moon Knight also enjoyed a brief career with the Defenders, before joining the West Coast Avengers, a move he's since labled as "What the hell was I thinking?" While he enjoyed hooking up with Tigra, he didn't feel he really belonged in the "Four-Color" superhero set, and preferred teaming up with more "street-level" guys like Iron Fist, Luke Cage and even the Punisher.

Moon Knight has worked with Batman in the past, but needless to say, the two clashed like day and knight. Batman found Moon Knight's bouts of brutality unacceptable, while Moon Knight found Batman's unwillingness to "finish the job" hypocritical.

Though few would argue the fact that Moon Knight is brutal and mentally disturbed, most fail to realize that the man's attitudes are caused by a mixture of post-traumatic stress disorder, and a growing case of Dissociative Personality Disorder, as at more then one point in his life, Spector found his alternate identities warring for control over his life. And then came his final battle with Bushman, which finished the job of sending him over the edge.

In this last battle, Bushman knocked Moon Knight off a balcony and broke both his knees. And then Moon Knight killed him. And ripped off his face for a keepsake. The traumatic incident left the vigilante mentally broken and angered at his divine patron, who turned his back on him. After an extended recovery period where he was hooked up painkillers and wallowing in self-pity, Spector found himself called back to becoming an agent of vengeance. And he enjoyed it, although even he was unsure whether or not the visions of Khonshu he was witnessing were real, or just his insanity kicking in.

It didn't keep him from fighting the Committee again, but it did keep him out of the Civil War concerning the Superhero Registration Act, as both Captain America and Iron Man went out of their way to tell him they didn't want him on their teams. Not that Moon Knight really cared, as he continued operating as an illegal vigilante anyway. Things changed after Normon Osborn was put in charge of the Thunderbolts, who were sent after him. In order to get the heat off of him, Spector faked his own death and left for Mexico, where he stayed low for a few months.

Recently, however, Moon Knight has returned to New York City. What has surprised most, both official authorities and members of the superhero community, is that in his first big appearance thwarting a bank robbery, the vigilante has neither killed, mutilated, nor maimed a single criminal, beating them no worst then Batman would've. Some in the Superhero community theorized that Batman's current "status" may have affected the vigilante, causing him to reconsider his approach and adopt a "What would Batman Do?" outlook. Others believe it's a new man wearing the bright white costume.

The truth is somewhat simpler. Marc Spector's persona has effectively "died", while the Jake Lockley personality is now in control. This has given Moon Knight a completely different view of the world; he now rejects the brutal violence encouraged by the visions of Khonshu, and seeks redemption for his past sins.

Whether or not he will be able to maintain his newfound high ideals, or fall prey to his inner demons again, is anyone's guess.
-Exit the LoneWolf