Out Of The Loop

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
Chris Finney
Bystander
Bystander

Out Of The Loop

Post by Chris Finney » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:26 pm

Hi guys Et Al, I've been away since M&M 1st edition with no RPGing for some time and Iam so out of the loop-lots to catch up on. Hope to see a few familiar faces around.

I'm going to buy the 2nd Edition but apart from the core book, what else would you long time players consider 'essential' to buy?

-Chris F
Author of the famous 1e M&M Benchmarks

Dirigible
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Out Of The Loop

Post by Dirigible » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:50 pm

Ultimate Power. Everything else will generally only add to your game in limited ways or in limited circumstances, but UP makes everything better all the time.

Elric
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Elric » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:53 pm

See http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopi ... =1&t=33014

I second the recommendations for Ultimate Power, Freedom City, and Instant Superheroes. I'd recommend against the Mastermind's Manual like many of the people in that thread.
3e Builds, 2e Builds, Index of 2e Official Rules Answers & General Resources (includes character creation and fight examples)

Dirigible
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Dirigible » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:55 pm

So, we're getting to the point were we just dole out canned answers, eh, Elric?

Paragon
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Paragon » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:02 pm

Dirigible wrote:So, we're getting to the point were we just dole out canned answers, eh, Elric?
Well, honestly, if you've explained you're logic before already, why not just point to it rather than repeat yourself if you haven't changed your mind?
And we by this sole token;
Know we once were gods;
Take shame in being broken;
No matter how great the odds.

daniel_ream
Zealot
Zealot

Post by daniel_ream » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:17 pm

I'm fairly certain Elric has the "N PL X villains vs. M PL Y heroes" post bound to a keyboard macro.

phpBB is forum software, not a generic CMS, and as such lacks the ability to easily incorporate static pages (beyond something like sticky topics).
"This is a superhero game. We are Not at Home to Mr. Physics."
Daniel's Thread of Retro Gaming Conversions (3E version)
Carthago delenda est; forum requirere lenitor.

Dirigible
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Dirigible » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:39 pm

I'm not saying its a bad thing; those 'how to build Minotaur', 'how APs work' 'combat example' 'problems of PL' and sundry posts sure seem to have solved a lot of people's problems.

We did try to create a coherent FAQ/super-frequent-topics thread once, as I recall.

daniel_ream
Zealot
Zealot

Post by daniel_ream » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:37 am

I've often thought that given the size of the ATT and the particular nature of its user-generated content, something like a social network framework would be a better fit. Something like Elgg or Dolphin. The actual group discussion fora would stay fora, but things like the FAQs and Paragon's PL-breakers thread would become blog posts or static pages, Kit's media updates would become social bookmarks, the Roll Call threads would probably be blog posts again.

VIRTUE
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by VIRTUE » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:38 am

I would also throw in the Hero Lab complete program, Ive been using it for a few weeks and I have cut down the time it takes me to create characters by alot

before I would think about making a character I would never put them to paper now it takes me 20 30 minutes and I have a character to paper

Chris Finney
Bystander
Bystander

Post by Chris Finney » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:23 am

Some interesting replies and some inter-personal forum politics going on here but I think I'm settling on the core book, Ultimate Power, Freedom City, Instant Superheroes and Book Of Magic because its my personal area of interest.

Hero Lab looks interesting and I'll check it out.

A few others that look interesting are Worlds of Freedom, Paragons, Iron Age, Golden Age and definately Crooks 2nd Ed- but can't find a hardcopy of this and I really want to avoid PDF's.
Author of the famous 1e M&M Benchmarks

VIRTUE
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by VIRTUE » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:24 am

There is no hard copy of Crooks 2nd edition

I really like Worlds of Freedom if you are playing in Freedom city

Lass
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Post by Lass » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:06 am

As a person who recently introduced MnM into me gaming group I cant recommend Instant Superheroes enough! It allowed me to give plenty of options to the gamers for a character that they may have had in mind and get us up and playing really really fast! Now that they've gotten a taste they want more and are starting to tinker with character creation while still using Instant Superheroes as a guideline.

I've yet to look over Freedom City - My game is set in the Marvel Universe. Is Freedom City really worth it? What does it offer that playing in something with the mythology of a Marvel/DC/ or even City of Heroes universe doesnt?
Men Smell Funny!!!!

daniel_ream
Zealot
Zealot

Post by daniel_ream » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:47 am

I think what it mostly offers is that it isn't the DC/Marvel universe. As a GM, you aren't constrained by the years of (dis)continuity that's built up. You don't have to worry about the players saying "hang on, why aren't the Avengers/FF/X-Men/Justice League dealing with this" when the Big Bad menaces the entire world; you don't have to worry about the Superman freak in your group insisting that the Big Blue Boy Scout just wouldn't behave like that, dammit when you try to have him appear as an NPC, etc. Freedom City is one of the very few superhero city books I've seen that actually feels like a real comic book setting with years of backstory and a distinct four-colour feel to it, yet at the same time you can pick and choose which parts you want because the players likely have no existing exposure to it.