NEW VINDICATORS (Books I - XIII)

This is the place to recount your superheroic deeds for all to gaze upon with astonishment and wonder.
Locked
SandersonCooper
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 11:37 am

Re: NEW VINDICATORS: Happy Anniversary

Post by SandersonCooper » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:58 am

Indeed a happy anniversary to the New Vindicators, here's to the continued growth and development of the story and its author! With some time off you've got plenty of time to forge stuff of the same caliber as Book 1, the magnum opus of this series. :D There's also plenty of time to catch up to the current plot now that the campaign is on hold as well.

Coming soon: Apocatastasis and his desperate search to find the true meaning of Christmas!

Dulcis Amor was rather short, but then you can't do all that much with marriage storylines. Especially when the infinitely hateful Magnus Loder is involved... here's to his eventual death. *toast*

I've noticed the length does seem to vary from arc to arc depending on some variables. Radix was more a tome than a book, then we have arcs like Dulcis which are a bit on the smaller side. In your eventual revisions of the story I can see rearranging the sequence of events in some cases to even the size out and get more bang out of each book's collective buck. :)

I'm also guessing that Cassie's going to pull through, just because the refrigerator is pretty full up as it is in this story and an angsty Mr. Meinstein is the last thing anyone needs. :P Even though he annoys me, I give that he is a shining beacon of optimism in the story.
There is no reason at all for my panzer tank to be equipped with stained glass windows.

User avatar
Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 14313
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:16 pm
Location: The Lands of Ink
Contact:

Re: NEW VINDICATORS: Happy Anniversary

Post by Tattooedman » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:10 am

Very nice ending there Michuru. Had a couple things I wasn't expecting and others that made tons of sense. Your work, as always IMO, is outstanding.

Plus the little jab you managed to toss in at my expense.
Michuru81 wrote:Vega peeked out from around a corner that had previously not been behind Elemenoh. “Am… am I actually being used?” he asked. “Is TattooedMan actually updating!?!”

“Of course not,” Elemenoh grumbled, smacking Vega with a rolled up newspaper. “Get back in your cage!”
I have to admit I've been bad about getting back to work on the Alliance but to have it pointed out by the little, blue letter man of all people, well that just makes it somewhat bearable to take.

But I've drifted off subject; Anyways congrats on the anniversary! Keep up the Excellent Work! And I look forward to the next part of the Vindicators' Story!
World of Freedom Setting 3E

"Your ignorance is not my burden."
-- Chiun

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion
Posts: 5693
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:17 pm
Location: Pekin, IL

Re: NEW VINDICATORS: Happy Anniversary

Post by Michuru81 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:13 pm

GPrime wrote:CASSIE?!
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Anniversary dude, three years of brilliance. Here's to three more ;)

Two brilliant books, I loved the wedding. Freaked out for Deimos, and then cheered for Lex. Was happier to see the Brits at the bachelor party though, I've missed those guys.

Will be PMing you in a moment, something struck me in the previews (I hate your previews, always leave me wanting more ;))
It should be noted that Desero (Lodestone's player) once told me that with Drew dead, Magnus would pick Deimos as his Best Man. This was prior to Deimos' shift to the Dark Side of the Force but... things worked out in the end.

I find too much pleasure in writing Tyson's dialogue. I missed him too.

As far as the previews go... The hardest thing to write is Libra. I want the previews to show that he's going to pop up once a book and duke it out with someone (yes, Melody was kind of a throw away...) but I don't want to spoil WHO given that once the match begins you can bet that character is pretty much dead. A few of my players know who's supposed to fall to Libra this book and I'm kind of anxious to get to the fight and trying really hard to keep my mouth shut. Still, it's hard to add the fight to the teaser without revealing who's the next to fall.

I do promise not to cop out and have Libra fight Rumble or Bulwark or anyone who's death really wouldn't count.
SandersonCooper wrote:Indeed a happy anniversary to the New Vindicators, here's to the continued growth and development of the story and its author! With some time off you've got plenty of time to forge stuff of the same caliber as Book 1, the magnum opus of this series. :D There's also plenty of time to catch up to the current plot now that the campaign is on hold as well.

Coming soon: Apocatastasis and his desperate search to find the true meaning of Christmas!

Dulcis Amor was rather short, but then you can't do all that much with marriage storylines. Especially when the infinitely hateful Magnus Loder is involved... here's to his eventual death. *toast*

I've noticed the length does seem to vary from arc to arc depending on some variables. Radix was more a tome than a book, then we have arcs like Dulcis which are a bit on the smaller side. In your eventual revisions of the story I can see rearranging the sequence of events in some cases to even the size out and get more bang out of each book's collective buck. :)

I'm also guessing that Cassie's going to pull through, just because the refrigerator is pretty full up as it is in this story and an angsty Mr. Meinstein is the last thing anyone needs. :P Even though he annoys me, I give that he is a shining beacon of optimism in the story.
A few weekends I go I drove over to Indianapolis and got the chance to talk with a writer who's had two books published. He told me how he got started and gave me some suggestions on how to proceed. Amongst the projects I'm currently working on (Illuminati, Welcome to Oubliette County, a small play I've been tinkering with and a novel that doesn't feature super-powered beings [what's wrong with me?]) is a third draft of the first New Vindies book, radix malorum est cupiditas. Amongst the things I got out of my conversation with this guy was that the narrative did not have to suffer for the game. There are events that happen in the books because that was how it happened in the game.

The best example of this is Lex's transformation from Amalgam to Anomaly. Alan, Lex's player, started the campaign out as the only veteran to M&M and wanted a character who could handle whatever the party needed. When he saw what they were lacking he decided to make a brick--hence the change. In the new draft, Drew will be introduced to Anomaly (Lex Sway) and Amalgam (Shadrach Logue).

I'm considering editing out a few of the weaker personalities amongst the Affiliation (Circe, Mirth, Girth...) and trying to focus on making a few others stand out as Lurker does. There are also a few characters who need a little more depth (Maria, for one...).

The order of events might change a little bit but the story as it is will still be intact. Once I'm done with this neverending task, I'm hoping to make the book available through Amazon's print on demand service and the sequels will follow.

One thing that won't really change is the size though. Book 8 was told over 10 issues/sessions and book nine was done in 5 but book 8 was 113,122 words compared to book 9's 104,337 words so... they're still close to being the same size.
Tattooedman wrote:Very nice ending there Michuru. Had a couple things I wasn't expecting and others that made tons of sense. Your work, as always IMO, is outstanding.

Plus the little jab you managed to toss in at my expense.
Michuru81 wrote:Vega peeked out from around a corner that had previously not been behind Elemenoh. “Am… am I actually being used?” he asked. “Is TattooedMan actually updating!?!”

“Of course not,” Elemenoh grumbled, smacking Vega with a rolled up newspaper. “Get back in your cage!”
I have to admit I've been bad about getting back to work on the Alliance but to have it pointed out by the little, blue letter man of all people, well that just makes it somewhat bearable to take.

But I've drifted off subject; Anyways congrats on the anniversary! Keep up the Excellent Work! And I look forward to the next part of the Vindicators' Story!
There was a lot that ended up being editted out of New Vindicators #74. At one point in the story there was a chapter titled "Axel F" in which Eddie Murphy flashes his badge, pretends to be the deputy fire marshal and complains about the engineers who put the (now exploded) building up cut corners. I had also planned to use Shaft, the Bride and the aliens from Signs but... things didn't work out.

Still, I had originally tossed in a jab at my expense as well and originally had Elemenoh say something about how "TattooedMan doesn't update his stories, but at least he posts more than a build every few months. The universe balances out that way..." Thankfully, Elemenoh was kind enough to spare me (the whole thing seemed a little lengthy to me for a pun...).

Smashed247 requested the Sixth Reich's builds after their appearance in the boring--I mean, seventh book. I have so far posted the Fuhrer. I'm may pound out chapter after chapter but I've really slacked off on my builds... :(
OUBLIETTE - NVAE: IC | OOC

User avatar
Manintights
Partisan
Partisan
Posts: 629
Joined: Sun May 28, 2006 2:48 pm
Location: roermond, Netherlands

Re: NEW VINDICATORS: Happy Anniversary

Post by Manintights » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:05 am

Happy anniversary Michuru! Three yeras and still loving every minute of it.

I'm looking forward to the next book, the previews are giving me giggle fits. Coldfire vs Semyazza, WOW!!!

just keep on keeping on and don't let us wait too long.

MIT
"As my father taught, 'Training will raise your shield to the blow, but courage fills the gaps the shield leaves open.'"

Play by post games:

New Vindicators: [Gae Bolg]

SandersonCooper
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 11:37 am

Re: NEW VINDICATORS: Happy Anniversary

Post by SandersonCooper » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:25 am

Michuru81 wrote: The best example of this is Lex's transformation from Amalgam to Anomaly. Alan, Lex's player, started the campaign out as the only veteran to M&M and wanted a character who could handle whatever the party needed. When he saw what they were lacking he decided to make a brick--hence the change. In the new draft, Drew will be introduced to Anomaly (Lex Sway) and Amalgam (Shadrach Logue).
I never got the impression that that was dragging the story down. Amalgam/Anomoly's shift was actually one of Lex and Jacque's best developments in the first book, and they are hands down two of the most likable characters in the entire series next to Ben. The implication that they would have a more reduced role in the story makes me apprehensive. I'd just cut Amalgam out as a character altogether rather than introduce a new one if that's really the route you want to take, though really I'd advise against it.

I never saw Mirth and Girth as a problem either, since they fulfill their role as two bullies fairly well. Circe is a non-entity as is, so I'd see just getting rid of her entirely. Lurker well... if he is to have a bigger role in the story (especially when Elegence is through with him) then more screen time would help.

I do agree that Maria needs some more development, she's essentially a setpiece for Magnus as she is now, and she has the potential to become a strong female character if handled with care.

I can make a list of things I've seen in book one, and in the entire series in general, that stand out to me as needing more development/changing and send it to you. I'll work on that when I get done climbing my mountain of homework. :)
There is no reason at all for my panzer tank to be equipped with stained glass windows.

Solarflare
Bystander
Bystander
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:24 am

Re: NEW VINDICATORS: Happy Anniversary

Post by Solarflare » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:50 pm

I just wanted to say Happy Anniversary. I have had the pleasure of reading these stories and I must say the world does draw you in. . I do enjoy how well thought out the history of the world is that the evil GM came up with. He just needs to let his good guys have some happiness. The only thing better than his stories here is the haveing the chance to game with him .

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion
Posts: 5693
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:17 pm
Location: Pekin, IL

Re: NEW VINDICATORS: Happy Anniversary

Post by Michuru81 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:12 pm

Solarflare wrote:I just wanted to say Happy Anniversary. I have had the pleasure of reading these stories and I must say the world does draw you in. . I do enjoy how well thought out the history of the world is that the evil GM came up with. He just needs to let his good guys have some happiness. The only thing better than his stories here is the haveing the chance to game with him .
What I'm getting from all this is... in all the years that the Think Tank's been up, NO ONE claimed "Solarflare" as a screen name prior to this moment? Seriously!?!

Ladies and gentlemen, meet Pete. Pete became one of my players with New Vindicators #101 and there are not enough good things I can say about the man. I (and the rest of my gaming group) is truly blessed to have Pete open his home up to us each month. Pete's basement makes him the undisputed King of all Dorks; it is the very definition of Lundgren.

Pete is a player who makes the game fun for me. Magnus passed his "GM's Whipping Boy" baton off to Ben when the Apocatastasis arc ended and the Basileus arc began and with New Vindicators #101, that honor has gone to Pete. Pete plays Carl Hamilton / Solarflare and, in a game where secrets became a theme, Pete insisted neither he nor his character get to know his secret: who his parents really are. When I e-mailed him a few possible ideas he told me to do what I wanted but not to tell him--to allow him to better RP the revelation. Carl's story is one I'm going to be tightlipped about here and one I'm very anxious to tell (we should be seeing it around our fifth anniversary, at this rate...).

You're an incredible guy, Pete. After all, you put up with Bob. :-p

And I let them have some happiness... I usually yank it away pretty quickly but... it's there... in small doses...
OUBLIETTE - NVAE: IC | OOC

SandersonCooper
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 11:37 am

Re: NEW VINDICATORS: Happy Anniversary

Post by SandersonCooper » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:04 am

Michuru81 wrote:
Solarflare wrote:
And I let them have some happiness... I usually yank it away pretty quickly but... it's there... in small doses...
Really? Let me get my microscope... musta missed it.

But yes it's good to see Pete, he and Bob are a tag team who work together to always ensure a fun and entertaining evening. Seriously, I could listen to you guys banter all night. :D
There is no reason at all for my panzer tank to be equipped with stained glass windows.

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion
Posts: 5693
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:17 pm
Location: Pekin, IL

The Story Thus Far...

Post by Michuru81 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:03 pm

Shortly after World War II ended, mankind learned of the existence of Neo-Sapiens—people born with extraordinary powers, passed on from parent to child. Almost instantly humanity has rejected these individuals, fearing and hating them for what they could possibly become or… because of what some do use their powers for. To this end the Vindicators were formed and over the decades many men and women have worn the black and white uniform of Earth’s defenders.

Everything changed in 2001 when the Vindicators VII disbanded, plunging the world into a Time Without Heroes.

In an effort to never again face such chaos, the United Nations founded the New Vindicators Academy, an institution devoted to giving young Neo-Sapiens a safe haven to grow and learn. Though their stated purpose is to help these people reintegrate with a society that would rather see them dead, simply for the crime of being born different, the facility also serves as something of a farm team—taking those with potential and drafting them to the Vindicators.

However, in 2008, Black Box—a privately-funded militia dedicated to controlling the super-powered populace—raided the American campus and put any super-powered being (SPB) they could catch into internment camps.

While many heroes are in hiding or in exile, one has risen up with a determined spirit: whether America likes it or not, David Meinstein is determined to use his fortune to fund a rogue group of Vindicators. As the super-fast Blitzkrieg, David has gathered under him Quinton Jorgenson, a young genius capable of splitting into five exact copies; the alluring Cassandra Goodman, who recently began a relationship with David after lending her ability to transform into sand to the Vindicators; Adrianna Covington, a Neo-Sapien who has learned to wield arcane powers and her friend, Clarissa Townsend, who is capable of generating force fields of varying shapes and sizes; Atlanta White, a southern belle who has inherited her strength, durability and immortality from her grandmother, Sif; Phobos, a Brittan who is one-quarter Neo-Sapien and three-fourths demon; Hikari Himura, a boy from an alternate future gifted with the ability to command light; Chienne Bedford, who few know isn’t truly the daughter of one of the heroes’ greatest enemies but rather a seraphim; and John Doe, an amnesic imbued with the same hellfire Phobos wields.

Also in their midst are Ben Altair and his family. Ben’s father, a half-demon capable of creating ice from thin air or causing matter to burst into flames, had his powers transferred to the young man prior to his death. Ben’s wife Alicia is possessed of a small degree of weather manipulation that lets her evoke arctic winds. Their daughters, Neige and Margaret, may one day follow in their parents’ footsteps… just after they learn to walk.

At the moment, the Vindicators are preparing themselves against a coming invasion… While they have little information at the moment, they know that an extradimensional ruler named the Basileus is coming and they know that his minions—the Areopagus—are already on Earth paving the path for him. Still, despite the looming darkness, the heroes found a smidgen of happiness: their friends Magnus Loder and Maria Espada have said their vows and have departed on their honeymoon…

However, that happiness was not to last: on their way home from the reception, David and Cassandra were involved in a disastrous car accident…
OUBLIETTE - NVAE: IC | OOC

GPrime
Daredevil
Daredevil
Posts: 792
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:38 am
Location: Elsewhere
Contact:

Re: NEW VINDICATORS: The Story Thus Far...

Post by GPrime » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:03 pm

With all the excitement of Christmas, I almost forgot about the best part of the new year: new NEW VINDIES!!!
Although, if you've killed off my Cassie, there will be consequences :x

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion
Posts: 5693
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:17 pm
Location: Pekin, IL

Re: NEW VINDICATORS: The Story Thus Far...

Post by Michuru81 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:03 pm

GPrime wrote:With all the excitement of Christmas, I almost forgot about the best part of the new year: new NEW VINDIES!!!
Although, if you've killed off my Cassie, there will be consequences :x
Two facts about the forthcoming book: 1) Cassandra fails to make a single appearance and 2) the team buries one of their own. There you go.
OUBLIETTE - NVAE: IC | OOC

GPrime
Daredevil
Daredevil
Posts: 792
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:38 am
Location: Elsewhere
Contact:

Re: NEW VINDICATORS: The Story Thus Far...

Post by GPrime » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:36 pm

The fact that you haven't actually said Cassie is dead gives me hope. Of course, there's always a twist...

User avatar
Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 14313
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:16 pm
Location: The Lands of Ink
Contact:

Re: NEW VINDICATORS: The Story Thus Far...

Post by Tattooedman » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:24 am

Michuru81 wrote:2) the team buries one of their own. There you go.
Going from past stories isn't this somewhat the norm?

It's alright. I'm still looking forward to reading what you've been working on, even if I do have to wait a bit longer.
World of Freedom Setting 3E

"Your ignorance is not my burden."
-- Chiun

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion
Posts: 5693
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:17 pm
Location: Pekin, IL

Re: NEW VINDICATORS: The Story Thus Far...

Post by Michuru81 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:21 am

Tattooedman wrote:
Michuru81 wrote:2) the team buries one of their own. There you go.
Going from past stories isn't this somewhat the norm?
Yeah, it's pretty much par for the course for me. :)
OUBLIETTE - NVAE: IC | OOC

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion
Posts: 5693
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:17 pm
Location: Pekin, IL

Book 10: felo de se

Post by Michuru81 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:28 am

NEW VINDICATORS #75: Cold Fire—In the wake of Magnus and Maria’s wedding, David and Cassandra’s fates are up in the air and it’s up to the Vindicators to find a way to keep things together. When two new villains—Pollux and Castor—surface in search of Ben Altair, it seems that the reluctant hero is about to be pulled back in…

NEW VINDICATORS #77: Poison—The Vindicators rescue a young Neo-Sapien from Black Box, but her presence in the tower leads to a little healthy rivalry amongst a few of the heroes…

NEW VINDICATORS #78: Phobos—A night out on the town turns into a fight for his life for Phobos. As he struggles to stay amongst the land of the living, his life begins to flash before his eyes…

NEW VINDICATORS #79: Everything’s Magic—The Vindicators head for Tokyo after receiving a distress call from their sister school. The Vindicators of Asia have been accosted and the culprit appears to be Rumble.

NEW VINDICATORS #80: When Hope Is All You Have—Pollux and Castor spring a trap for the Vindicators, Pisces strikes, Deimos returns with a vengeance and nothing will ever be the same…
Last edited by Michuru81 on Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
OUBLIETTE - NVAE: IC | OOC

Locked