The Combined DCU-Marvel Universe thread

Discuss Freedom City, Paragons, Wild Cards, or your own campaign settings here.
Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: The Combined DCU-Marvel Universe thread

Post by Libra » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:30 am

I'm giving some thought to Daredevil at the moment, which I may or may not post, but I will be very grateful and very interested in hearing any suggestions offered by Think Tankers.
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:50 pm

Bump.

Anyone still have any interest in continuing this thread?
Power doesn't corrupt. Power appeals to the corrupt. - Charles Phipps

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

media_junkie
Bystander
Bystander

Post by media_junkie » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:27 pm

I'd like to see this thread continued. Some very interesting stuff being written here.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:50 pm

media_junkie wrote:I'd like to see this thread continued. Some very interesting stuff being written here.
Here, here.

Certainly it would be a better world if bigotry were rewarded with a straightjacket and a padded cell more often. - Libra

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:43 pm

Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)

For most of Hal Jordan's heroic career, he was a surprisingly difficult man to relate to. Green Arrow and the Flash certainly liked Hal Jordan well enough. With the exception of an early adventure where he hit on Sue Storm, he also got along well with the Fantastic Four. Spiderman loved the man's cavalier style, even if his cosmic adventures were a bit above him. Captain America expressed personal admiration of the man's integrity. It's just that it's hard to relate to a man with absolute self-confidence. A man who doesn't fear anything.

Whether in combat or dating, Hal Jordan was always the first in and never retreated unless an innocent was threatened. In a world with many heroes wondering about their place or wracked with self-doubt, Hal Jordan said. "Screw it! I'm a superhero! Isn't that awesome!?" This made Hal Jordan somewhat on the immature side, still swinging single when his best friends were starting serious relationships. It wasn't that Hal Jordan was incapable of lasting commitment or love, it's just that he didn't fear the onrush of old age. There was plenty of time to start a family, if he ever felt so inclined to do so.

Hal Jordan is no longer that man. Possession by the Elder God Parallax, also known as Hastur and the King in Yellow), has taught Hal Jordan the meaning of fear. Fear is being aware that sometimes you're not strong enough or good enough to be there when it counts. Fear is knowing sometimes you're going to screw up when others depend on you. Fear is something that has made Hal Jordan stronger rather than weaker. Having spent nearly a year bound to the Spirit of God's Vengeance, Hal Jordan also has one of the most intimate knowledge of the universe's inner workings in existence. It has made him a wiser man as well as a humbler one.

The current Hal Jordan is a man that is closer to Superman or Captain America than Green Arrow. Though, admittedly, Hal Jordan still plays the field and has a great deal more recreational sex than either of those men. He is aware of his responsibilities to serve as a role model for other heroes and especially new members of the Green Lantern Corps. A part of him is still suffering trauma from his possession. He frequently wakes up screaming from nightmares of murdering nearly the entire universe as Parallax. Note: Metaphysically, the universe's souls were almost instantly reincarnated according to Doctor Strange. No one actually stayed dead.

Hal feels almost as much guilt for assaulting his fellow Green Lanterns and killing his friend Kilowog as he does for being about Zero Hour. Thankfully, most of his "victims" have since gotten better. His rampage wasn't nearly as devastating as he believed it. Hal wants to prove to the world that he's not the monster that briefly took control over him. He accepts he wasn't fully in control of himself but also believes he bears some blame for its actions. For all of his absolute self-confidence, he wasn't strong enough to resist Parallax's evil.

Because of Hal Jordan's hard won lessons, he is more approachable than ever. He is willing to help kittens out of trees, fight for Mutant rights (frequently scooping up bigots during rallies and dumping them in nearby lakes), and defend the universe from cosmic horrors with equal aplumb. Despite being one of the original Justice League members, Hal considers every hero to be his equal. Indeed, he often seems eager to prove himself to newcomers rather than the reverse. The only heroes he doesn't get along with are those who display the same arrogance as he used. Them and Guy Gardener, though Guy is like a brother to him.

Currently, Hal is most focused on rebuilding the Green Lantern Corps after the wake of the Annihilation Wave and the Sinestro Corps disaster. The Annihilation Wave was limited to Hal's own sector but the Green Lantern Corps members assisting him weren't able to turn the tide of Annihilus' rampage by themselves. Still, they managed to save several dozen worlds that have been otherwise destroyed. Because of this heroism, the Skrulls have actually done the unthinkable and asked for a Green Lantern to be named for their empire. The nobility of Hal Jordan, John Stewart, Guy Gardener, Kyle Rayner and the other Green Lanterns of the Milky Way Galaxy have overcome millennium of Skrull xenophobia. Hal Jordan is currently looking for a Skrull with the nobility to use a Green Lantern ring. He has it narrowed down to two candidates, both members of teenage superhero teams back on Earth.

Hal Jordan is currently wanted by Norman Osbourne and other corrupt government officials for his refusal to turn over the Green Lantern ring to the US government. Hal refuses to respect international borders when he's helping people. As he says. "I answer to a higher authority than you." Given he's worked for God and the Guardians of the Universe, it's questionable who he means. It might just be his own conscience.

dirkgentry2000
Zealot
Zealot

Post by dirkgentry2000 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:35 pm

interesting

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:45 pm

dirkgentry2000 wrote:interesting
Don't overwhelm us with your commentary!

You must be a Kyle Rayner fan!

:twisted:
Last edited by Charles Phipps on Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RomLoneWolf23
Daredevil
Daredevil

Post by RomLoneWolf23 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:22 pm

So, how does Hal get along with Richard Rider and the rest of the recovering Nova Corps?
-Exit the LoneWolf

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:23 pm

Well, I'm certainly interested of the possibility of Xavin or Hulking becoming Green Lanterns.

Voltron64
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Voltron64 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:25 pm

Plus, what are your plans for the fall of Norman Osborne? :twisted:

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:29 pm

RomLoneWolf23 wrote:So, how does Hal get along with Richard Rider and the rest of the recovering Nova Corps?
I'll get to that in the GLC entry. Personally, Hal Jordan tended to treat Nova as under-performing to his potential for much of their career. He was always respectful, but knowing the power level of the Nova Corps and people who did a lot more with less, he always felt RR could have been one of the best while he sort of settled for being a background figure of the New Warriors.

Hal feels deeply ashamed of those feelings now while also acknowledging Richard has matured to become the warrior that he always knew he could be. The New Nova is the great leader Hal Jordan always believed he could be and their team-ups during the Annihilation Wave are legendary in Kree Space.
Voltron64 wrote:Well, I'm certainly interested of the possibility of Xavin or Hulking becoming Green Lanterns.
It just came to me.
Voltron64 wrote:Plus, what are your plans for the fall of Norman Osborne? :twisted:
Norman Osbourne's explosion is something that EVERYONE in the DCU-MU world sees coming.

* Amanda Waller has contingencies in place to have Checkmate resources in place to handle SHIELD's assets until they can be transplanted to a new Director (it should be noted, Norman is only head of SHIELD in the United States-not the entire world).

* Superman has broken his usual vow of public non-interferance with politics to state that he has no confidence in Norman Osbourne's leadership or record. Wonder Woman gave a understated comment that was worse than anything she'd ever said on television against anybody.

* Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fights trashed Norman Osbourne and the New Avengers a couple of times on national TV.

* Even Henry Peter Gyrich, bigot that he is, doesn't like Norman in this universe.

President Lex Luthor's appointees have burned all of their remaining political capital to get him into place and everyone will be happy when he crashes.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:27 am

Excellent work on Hal, Charles. I'm quite fond of him as a character, but often have trouble grasping the precise nature of his personality - you've certainly given me some interesting food for thought in that regard. :D
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

dirkgentry2000
Zealot
Zealot

Post by dirkgentry2000 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:39 am

I'm wondering how Nova got along with Kyle Rayner -- during the time when Kyle was the "last" GL. Actually - seems like there'd be a story to tell about how the Nova Corps had to step up their operations drastically to compensate for the GLC disappearing for a decade. Notice how Ryder is reconstituting te Novas after only a year of being the lone wolf, perhaps he learned from Kyle's troubles.
Last edited by dirkgentry2000 on Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Charles Phipps
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Charles Phipps » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:05 am

dirkgentry2000 wrote:I'm wondering how Nova got along with Kyle Raynor -- during the time when Kyle was the "last" GL. Actually - seems like there'd be a story to tell about how the Nova Corps had to step up their operations drastically to compensate for the GLC disappearing for a decade. Notice how Ryder is reconstituting te Novas after only a year of being the lone wolf, perhaps he learned from Kyle's troubles.
The two of them are actually extremely close friends, which I'll address in the upcoming Kyle Rayner article. Richard took some lessons from Kyle while he was Ion, the two sharing their experiences being 20-somethings who suddenly had omnipotent power. Richard based his reconstruction of the Nova corps on the lessons of both Hal and Kyle while also pretty much working hand-in-hand with the GL Corps to cover each other's butts since both groups were devastated so quickly.

Richard can actually sometimes be found at Kyle's house and vice versa, discussing everything from how crazy the US government is handling Registration (which is far scaled back due to the DCU's influence) to the chicks they like.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:01 pm

An excellent article by Charles Phipps concerning Hal Jordon? Rather Neat. :D

A series of articles on the Green Lantern Corps' more prominent members? AWESOME. :mrgreen: