OUBLIETTE (Original 2E Builds)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Re: OUBLIETTE: power_gamers, Fairy Tail

Post by Michuru81 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:54 am

MorningKnight wrote:I really like the power_gamers.

I could really be n00b.
Thorpacolypse wrote:Love those power gamers, Michuru81. I could see myself being n00b, too.
I myself identify most with either the GM (I lament that nearly every campaign I become a player in is typically doomed to fall apart within three sessions) and PWNAGE. I was playing TCGs before RPGs. My freshman year of high school I started playing Magic and that led to Overpower, Star Wars and eventually Pokemon (stop laughing). The Waldenbooks in our mall was running a Pokemon League and I was left in charge. One day, after cleaning up, I went to buy a few boosters and decided to pick up this Dungeons & Dragons starter box. It was 2E and it was awesome.
OUBLIETTE - NVAE: IC | OOC

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

#219: RedHott315

Post by Michuru81 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:57 am

RedHott315 (Power Level 6)

Height / Weight: 5’10” / 154 lbs.
Hair / Eyes: Black / Hazel
Place of Birth: Hamilton Heights, Manhattan, New York (March 3, 1986)
First Appearance: New Vindicators #24

Physical Description: Though early on in his criminal career, this African-American man wore his hair in cornrows, he has grown it out and now favors dreadlocks. Initially he wore a mask of Burger King’s mascot, the King, but these days he prefers to fight in jeans, an orange T-shirt (orange is his favorite color) and a black corduroy jacket.

Biography: After discovering her husband’s Neo-Sapien power to manipulate flames, Kenan’s mother left her family when he was only four-years-old. His father raised him by himself, teaching him about his ability and the great need to keep it concealed. However, he also taught him that his ability was one that could bring them monetary gain: James Elvis was employed as a welder who employed his talents in his profession. By manipulating the flame of his torch he had a more precise control and his immunity meant no danger whatsoever. After graduating high school in 2004, Kenan immediately followed in his father’s footsteps.

In James’ eyes, Kenan was now an adult and the task of raising him was complete. The elder Elvis began dating again but Kenan had become withdrawn. Over the years he had substituted friendship with his father and now that his father was living his life, Kenan was left alone.

Everything changed the night he wandered into Paperbacks and Polyhedrons, a used book store that typically catered fans of fantasy and science fiction with a section for roleplaying games. It was there that he was drafted into Greg Gynax’s gaming group and took part in the GM’s greatest campaign: a string of real life heists executed by the power_gamers.
  • STR 16 (+3), DEX 12 (+1), CON 16 (+3), INT 12 (+1), WIS 12 (+1), CHA 10

SKILLS: Craft (mechanical) 5 (+6), Knowledge (popular culture) 6 (+7), Notice 4 (+5), Profession (welder) 5 (+6), Sense Motive 4 (+5)

FEATS: Attack Focus (ranged) 2, Defensive Roll 2, Dodge Focus 2, Improved Initiative 1, Teamwork 1

POWERS: Fire Control 7 (Alternate Powers: Blast 7, Dazzle 7 [visual], Deflect 7, Ignite 4, Melt 7), Flight 6 (500 MPH), Immunity 10 (fire effects)

COMBAT: Attack +2 (+4 ranged), Grapple +5, Damage +3, Defense +4 (+1 flat-footed), Knockback -2 (-1 flat-footed), Initiative +5

SAVES: Toughness +5 (+3 flat-footed), Fortitude +4, Reflex +3, Will +6

COMPLICATIONS: Prejudice (Neo-Sapien), Secret (power_gamers)

Abilities 18 + Skills 6 (24 ranks) + Feats 8 + Powers 41 + Combat 8 + Saves 9 = 90 points

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

#220: PWNAGE

Post by Michuru81 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:59 am

PWNAGE (Power Level 6)

Height / Weight: 5’10” / 153 lbs.
Hair / Eyes: Brown / Green
Place of Birth: Staten Island, New York (June 10, 1983)
First Appearance: New Vindicators #24

Physical Description: Garfield is more concerned with his appearance than his comrades. He is typically well-groomed and well-dressed; usually he wears jeans with a button down shirt and a tweed jacket with leather elbow patches. He owns over thirty different pairs of shoes and often obsesses over keeping them clean. Garfield shaves his head to avoid prospective lovers’ noticing the thinning.

Early in the power_gamers’ career, each member wore costumes; Richard dressed as the hurloon Minotaur from Magic: The Gathering but such paraphernalia was dropped after the GM’s arrest.

Biography: It was the start of Garfield’s junior high career when Magic: The Gathering released its stand-alone expansion, Ice Age. He didn’t know how to play. He didn’t have the faintest idea what half of the symbols on the cards meant. All he knew was everyone at his school was playing and he had to too. He bought his first starter deck and in the random allotment of cards he became the envy of everyone at school when he pulled out a Jester’s Cap.

From there he started reading Inquest and through Inquest he began to embrace other card games: in Overpower he found Sabertooth triumphant; his Death Star deck was unbeatable in Star Wars and few could stand up to the invincible team of Hitmonchan and Scyther in the Pokémon TCG. Collectable card games were a gateway drug for Garfield though—one that eventually led him into the realm of roleplaying games and to the table of Greg Gynax, the man destined to assemble the villainous power_gamers…
  • STR 14 (+2), DEX 12 (+1), CON 14 (+2), INT 10, WIS 12 (+1), CHA 14 (+2)

SKILLS: Bluff 6 (+8), Diplomacy 0 (+4), Knowledge (popular culture) 4, Perform (comedy) 6 (+8), Sense Motive 0 (+3)

FEATS: Attack Focus (ranged) 2, Defensive Roll 2, Dodge Focus 2, Interpose, Precise Shot 2, Taunt, Teamwork 1

POWERS: Absorption 4 (Boost [Blast] and Healing; Power Feats: Slow Fade; Extras: Both Types [+1])

COMBAT: Attack +2 (+4 ranged), Grapple +4, Damage +2, Defense +4 (+1 flat-footed), Knockback -1, Initiative +1

SAVES: Toughness +4 (+2 flat-footed), Fortitude +7, Reflex +3, Will +3

COMPLICATIONS: Obsession (Shoes), Prejudice (Neo-Sapien), Secret (power_gamers)

Abilities 16 + Skills 4 (16 ranks) + Feats 11 + Powers 22 + Combat 8 + Saves 9 = 70 points
Michuru81 wrote:EDIT (2010/1/31): Okay, so... it turns out, I have no inkling how this system works. :-p For the last... four years, I've been reading Absorption wrong and as a result PWNAGE is now legal. His Absorption gets bumped from 8 ranks to 4 ranks, which also puts him 20 points until the build's allotment. While it might just make a bit more sense to raise his PL to something like 8 or 10, I'm fairly adamant that the power_gamers stay at PL 6.

Disturbingly enough, these guys are fairly effective when I toss them at my PCs (how much of that may be due to PWNAGE's breaking through the PL ceiling, we'll never know) who, typically, are PL 8/120 point builds. The power_gamers get in a few punches, do what damage they can and if things turn sour, sp4wn_p01nt begins evacuating the group (my PCs have made "kill sp4wn_p01nt" Plan A when facing this group). While I may delight in making life miserable for the PCs, I'm certainly not out to kill them (that would be too easy) so the power_gamers stay reasonably weak.

Also, it would kind of sunder the entire notion of what they are to take them to a moderate level of ability. These guys aren't supposed to know how to fight unless miniatures are used to represent combatants.
Last edited by Michuru81 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: OUBLIETTE: Fairy Tail, power_gamers

Post by Libra » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:14 pm

Keep up the marvellous work Michuru! :D
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arthur Eld » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:27 am

Doesn't Absorption count towards PL caps for Toughness, thus making PWNAGE's effective Toughness +12, raising his PL to 8?

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by Michuru81 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:23 am

Arthur Eld wrote:Doesn't Absorption count towards PL caps for Toughness, thus making PWNAGE's effective Toughness +12, raising his PL to 8?
You are quite right. I've been reading it wrong. I've taken it to solely read as it caps at the Toughness cap, missing the bonus part. :oops:

Thanks for catching that. The players in my PBP game were going to be facing an absorber fairly early on...

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:13 am

I'm not sure I'd agree with the stacking.

I mean, from a balance side it makes a lot of sense (subtract damage from absorption then roll against full toughness is a little powerful).

But every build I've seen in any of the M&M books tends to indicated that Absorption works in spite of toughness when it comes to stacking. Captain Thunder in the Freedom City book has an Absorption of 12 and a toughness of 14.

And I've yet to find any official word otherwise (which might just mean I haven't looked hard enough).

I will say that without some common sense the power is too powerful for common usage. Absorption 10 for all damage types plus a +10 toughness is just screaming "power gaming" to me.

But in the case where you want to have a character who's actually quite resistant to a certain damage and even benifits from it this would seem to be the power.
I suppose you could just juryrig an immunity and a boost with a reaction (only when hit by X) power...

Woodclaw
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Woodclaw » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:37 am

Maybe it's just me, but Ialway tough that the note on UP was a little pointless. I mean you can simply add the Impervious and Absorbtion extras on the top of your Toughness save with the limitation of Physical/Energy attacks are effectivly recreating the Absobtion power at the same cost. I think that a more efficient restriction should be to cap Absorbition at the character Toughness save, like Deflect is caped at the Defense bonus.
"Yes, it's a bloody flying alligator setting fire to my city!"

Sam Vimes (Guards! Guards!)

From a dark corner of my mind (my build's thread)
From another dark corner of my mind (my Deviantart page)

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:56 pm

*sigh*

And I'm completely wrong.
Ultimate Power wrote: Your Absorption rank counts as a bonus to your toughness saves for power level purposes.
Now what's for dinner, crow or my foot? ;~)

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

#221: Lluvia

Post by Michuru81 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:15 pm

LLUVIA (Power Level 8)

Height / Weight: 6’0” / 160 lbs.
Hair / Eyes: Blue (dyed; originally brown) / Blue
Place of Birth: Almeria, Spain (August 28, 1992)
First Appearance: New Vindicators—European Academy #1

Physical Description: Gaspar’s hair is dyed blue and typically worn in a fauxhawk style.

Though his uniform is sleeveless, this is usually hidden by the black rain coat he wears. His uniform also consists of a pair of sunglasses, fingerless gloves and galoshes.

Biography: Boasting one of the sunniest, warmest, and driest climates in Europe, Almeria’s arid landscape once lured numerous spaghetti westerns to its shores.

That changed the day Gaspar Zorrilla e Higueras’ parents died in a car accident; suddenly sullen, his Neo-Sapien power to summon rain clouds manifested and for weeks, Almeria’s skies were darkened and her lands were drenched.

It wasn’t until a representative of the New Vindicators Academy of Europe came to investigate the phenomena that Alemia was spared. Gaspar was taken to Vienna and the rain proceeded to follow him. Over the course of his freshman year, the rain slowly began to subside—all thanks to one of his classmates: Tatjana Nelson (Fach).

Romance blossomed between the two young people and as their first year at the school came to a close, Tatjana’s parents arranged for the orphan to stay with during the summer. Partway through, however, they took in three other borders: Tatjana’s paternal uncle, his wife and their daughter, Sarah. A year the New Vindicator’s younger, Tatjana caught Gaspar and Sarah making out and immediately insisted he leave.
Spending the rest of his summer living with another classmate (Apex), Gaspar returned to the New Vindicators Academy to find Tatjana harboring little but contempt for him.
  • STR 16 (+3), DEX 14 (+2), CON 18 (+4), INT 13 (+1), WIS 12 (+1), CHA 13 (+1)

SKILLS: Concentration 4 (+5), Knowledge (earth science) 6 (+7), Knowledge (tactics) 4 (+5), Languages 2 (English, German, Spanish [base]), Notice 4 (+5), Swim 4 (+5)

FEATS: Attractive 1, Defensive Roll 4, Endurance 1, Equipment 1, Inspire 2, Leadership, Teamwork 1

POWERS: Weather Control 8 (Reduced Visibility [rain]; Dynamic Alternate Powers: Blast [electricity], Blast [electricity; Power Feats: Indirect 2], Environmental Control [distraction {precipitation}], Environmental Control [hamper movement {wet surfaces}]; Extras: Wide [+1])

Equipment: comm link, Vindicators Uniform (+2 Toughness, Immunity 2 [cold and heat])

COMBAT: Attack +4, Grapple +7, Damage +3, Defense +4 (+2 flat-footed), Knockback -3, Initiative +2

SAVES: Toughness +10 (+6 flat-footed), Fortitude +10, Reflex +8, Will +3

COMPLICATIONS: Reputation (Sullen, Man-Whore)

Abilities 25 + Skills 6 (24 ranks) + Feats 11 + Powers 33 + Combat 16 + Saves 14 = 105/120 points
Michuru81 wrote:In keeping with the tired device comic book creators have used for years, Lluvia's codename is nothing but the foreign word for a simple term: lluvia is Spanish for rain.

Lluvia is one of the main NPCs in the PBP game I'm running at the moment and now that he's up, my players can feel free to exploit any weakness they see in him. ;)

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

#222: Apex

Post by Michuru81 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:02 pm

APEX (Power Level 8)

Height / Weight: 5’7” / 150 lbs.
Hair / Eyes: Blonde / Green
Place of Birth: Epe, Netherlands (October 14, 1992)

Physical Description: This young man’s blonde hair is thermally treated to take on a permanent curl.

Biography: Cornelis grew up on his great-grandfather’s yarns. The man, whose eyes burned with a green fire as he remembered his glory days, often told him about his adventures with Hunnebedden, the man made of stone. He told him about meeting the third incarnation of the Vindicators—about having a beer with Druid and beating Jarhead in an arm wrestling competition.

Cornelis knew about the legacy his great-grandfather had passed onto his son and eventually to his granddaughter—Cornelis’ mother. From an early age, Cornelis was anxious for his Neo-Sapien powers to manifest and he was frequently observed making himself dizzy, spinning in place with his arms out straight.

When they finally manifested, he was overjoyed. He didn’t know how, but he knew it meant that he would one day take part in stories like those his great-grandfather told, so that he could tell his great-grandson them some far off day…

The first step towards that goal seemed to be enrolling at the New Vindicators Academy of Europe. Though powerful, Cornelis didn’t know how to utilize that strength and that left him lagging behind two others in his class: Gaspar and Lexus.

Though they were the same age, the usually gruff Lexus treated Cornelis as his little brother. The two were inseparable through their freshman year and, as the term came to a close, Cornelis watched in horror as Lexus was expelled.
  • STR 12 (+1), DEX 13 (+1), CON 12 (+1), INT 12 (+1), WIS 16 (+3), CHA 12 (+1)

SKILLS: Knowledge (art) 2 (+3), Knowledge (history) 2 (+3), Knowledge (theology and philosophy) 2 (+3), Language 2 (Dutch, English, French), Notice 4 (+7), Sense Motive 4 (+7)

FEATS: Assessment, Equipment 2, Jack-of-all-Trades, Teamwork 1

POWERS: Impervious Toughness 8, Flight 6 (Extras: Linked [Spinning, +0]), Spinning 8 (Power Feats: Radius Sight), Strike 6 (Extras: Aura [+1], Duration [Sustained, +2]; Drawbacks: Power Loss [when he stops spinning, -1 point]), Super-Strength 4

Equipment: cell phone, comm link, GPS tracker, New Vindicators uniform (+2 Toughness, Immunity 2 [cold/heat]); 3 free equipment points

COMBAT: Attack +4, Grapple +9 (+17 spinning), Damage +1, Defense +4 (+2 flat-footed), Knockback -0 (-4 spinning), Initiative +1

SAVES: Toughness +3 (+9 spinning; +8 impervious), Fortitude +3, Reflex +3, Will +9

COMPLICATIONS: Reputation (Complainer), Secret

Abilities 17 + Skills 4 (16 ranks) + Feats 5 + Powers 68 + Combat 16 + Saves 10 = 120 points
Michuru81 wrote:Another of the NPCs in my PBP game, Apex's Toughness save may need some clarification: as the +2 Toughness granted from his equipment won't stack with the bonus gained while spinning, Apex sports a +3 bonus while standing and a +9 while spinning.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: OUBLIETTE: Lluvia and Apex

Post by Arthur Eld » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:49 pm

So, its clear what Apex's weakness is now: Area attacks. With a Reflex like that, though, its no surprise. Looking forward to a Fach build, and hopefully a Parabola one too!

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by Michuru81 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:51 pm

Arthur Eld wrote:So, its clear what Apex's weakness is now: Area attacks. With a Reflex like that, though, its no surprise. Looking forward to a Fach build, and hopefully a Parabola one too!
Yeah, I like making sure my characters usually have something exploitable. In Apex's case, Reflex. Dazzle him, explode something... he's done. Similarly, Lluvia has no will power whatsoever (likely why Sarah so easily seduced him) which our good friend Mister Murphy has already come to realize.

Fach, Parabola... the whole school has stats, it's just a matter of forcing myself to write a background for them. I think that with an original character, it's kind of important to include that... otherwise, I'm just handing off meaningless numbers. ;) Flavor makes the world go 'round.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arthur Eld » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:50 pm

Well said. Background is far more important for original characters than stats, unless they're utilizing some brilliant brand-new mechanic. The fact that you understand this is one of the many reasons why your builds rock.
Last edited by Arthur Eld on Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

#223: Fach

Post by Michuru81 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:41 pm

FACH (Power Level 8)

Height / Weight: 5’10” / 140 lbs.
Hair / Eyes: Crimson Red / Blue
Place of Birth: Ramstein, Germany (December 6, 1992)

Physical Description: Tatjana sports long, crimson hair that spills onto her shoulders and down her back, stopping just below the waist. She seldom wears lipstick as her large, pouty lips “look like a clown’s” when painted. As she entered adolescence, she received attention due to her being chesty—a quality she tries to downplay in her choices in attire.

Biography: United States Air Force Captain Ronald Nelson was stationed in Germany when he met Nadja Obermaier. The two eventually married and not long after celebrated the birth of their daughter, Tatjana. They were as happy as can be…

And then Captain Nelson’s secret came out…

The man was a Neo-Sapien, capable of transforming his voice into a sonic scream. Such a revelation warranted his discharge from the armed forces and Ronald Nelson remained in Germany with his family.

Knowing what she could inherit, Tatjana tried to train her voice as a child and discovered a talent for singing—especially opera. Tatjana is a dramatischer koloratursopran who employs the whistle range and dreams of playing Rosalinda in Die Fledermaus.
  • STR 10, DEX 13 (+1), CON 10, INT 15 (+2), WIS 16 (+3), CHA 10

SKILLS: Concentration 4 (+7), Intimidate 4, Knowledge (popular culture) 5 (+7), Languages 3 (English, French, German, Spanish), Notice 4 (+7), Perform (acting) 4 (+6), Perform (singing) 8 (+10), Pilot 4 (+5), Sense Motive 4 (+7)

FEATS: Attractive 2, Endurance 1, Equipment 3, Fascinate 1 (Perform [singing]), Talented 1 (Perform [acting]/Perform [singing])

POWERS: Force Field 8, Sensory Shield 4 (hearing), Sonic Control 8 (Alternate Powers: Nauseate 5 [Extras: Explosion {+1}], Shatter 8, Strike 8 [sonic; Extras: Explosion {+1}], Stun 5 [Extras: Explosion {+1}]; Extras: Explosion [+0], Secondary Effect [+1]; Flaws: Range [Touch, -1])

Equipment: cell phone, comm link, GPS tracer, laptop, Vindicators Uniform (+2 Toughness, Immunity 2 [cold and heat]); 7 free equipment points

COMBAT: Attack +4, Grapple +4, Damage +0, Defense +4 (+2 flat-footed), Knockback -4, Initiative +1

SAVES: Toughness +8, Fortitude +2, Reflex +3, Will +6

COMPLICATIONS: Reputation (Arrogant), Responsible (Lullaby), Rival (Eve [kind of...], Lullaby), Temper

Abilities 14 + Skills 10 (40 ranks) + Feats 8 + Powers 32 + Combat 16 + Saves 10 = 90 points
Michuru81 wrote:Another of the more plot-centric NPCs in my PBP game, Fach addresses a few of my gripes with Sonic Control. For starters: the range. If the ability is a sonic scream, the range should be flawed. I don't care too much for being able to move the area around the battlefield. I also have qualms with selective sonic screams. Scream and decide who hears it? Yeah, that makes perfect sense... As a result, Fach sucks: when she screams, everyone around her hears it, regardless of alliance. It makes her a bit of a one trick pony but, as the campaign goes, I hope to develop her a bit more and find a way to spend the remaining points to make her a bit more formidable.

EDIT: I originally handed Fach a compact car. Then it was pointed out to me that Europe has a different age for getting a driver's permit than America does and she wouldn't be able to legally operate it (in Germany or Austria) for three more years.
Last edited by Michuru81 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.