NEW VINDICATORS #15: Deport (IC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: NEW VINDICATORS: quaere verum (IC)

Post by Arkrite » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:39 pm

Alex "Current" Murphy

Alex turns back and sees Alina's face turn red, and feels his own start to do the same.

He tried to force it down, though. Women liked confident men. Blushing like a schoolgirl probably wouldn't help him appear confident.

"Two headmasters? Wow, I don't see that working well. You know, too many chiefs in the kitchen..." he shrugs, and smiles again, "Guess we'll just have to find out the old fashion way, huh?"

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by Michuru81 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:24 pm

Doctor Fisher, the headmaster chosen by France to act as their liaison with the the school, began walking towards the television mounted on one of the walls. It was almost as if she was enchanted by what she saw. Ordinarily, the cafeteria contained long tables with benches and the televisions situated throughout the dining hall played news, sports, music... each was usually set to something different. At the moment, all of the sets were announcing the same thing:

“This is the scene in New York City, where legions of men, engulfed in what appear to be black flames have attacked the unofficial Vindicators who have been appearing sporadically since the barrier that encapsulated the city for days disappeared. The fight seems to have moved to the top of the Empire State Building where police have cordoned off the area to protect New Yorkers from the fallout of this superhuman battle.”

Many of the faculty and some of the students couldn't help but watch as well. Some--mostly those members of the faculty who had graduated just years before--muttered the names of the heroes involved. "Loess," some said and others muttered, "Rumble." The man some called "Frostbite" others called "Coldfire" and Mister Noble called "the Muppet." Both he and Mister Bradley, as well as several others, all knew the Vindicators' opponent by the same name:

"Deimos," they said.

They watched the feed play out. Eventually a figure--apparently forged from a mountain side--jumped out a window and rode Deimos down the length of the Empire State Building and into the streets below. It was shortly after that the battle seemed to end; the Vindicators retreated back to wherever they had come from. News agencies began replaying the footage of the fight but now the residents of the New Vindicators Academy of Europe had lost interest.

They lost interest, but not focus. Many of them saw this as a reminder: this was why each of them was here. This was why they endured all that they endured.

After that, the party began to die down. Few could continue to enjoy the evening in good conscience; their moods were soured by the display in America. They made their way back to their rooms to settle in for the night...
Michuru81 wrote:If there's anything anyone wants to do as we wrap up our first session, go ahead. Also, everyone can have 1 PP to save or spend as they see fit. Tomorrow, Elemenoh willing, we'll start New Vindicators of Europe #2.

And no, flynnarrel, that doesn't mean the little alphabet guy is coming yet. Breathe.
OUBLIETTE - NVAE: IC | OOC

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arthur Eld » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:29 pm

Jason Lamperouge

Jason watched the feed with great interest, taking in every little detail about the fight. The black fire, he had heard about such multi-colored fire before, and he knew it was something of significance, but what, he didn't know just yet. He would find out soon enough, that he promised to himself.

After bidding Mr. Bradley and Mr. Noble a good night, Jason went to his room. Before heading to sleep, he spent a few hours on his computer, trying to hunt down any information he could find about the battle in New York, and the Vindicators who had battled this Deimos. Knowledge was power, after all, and Jason knew that if he ever wanted to have any chance of making the world safe enough for Neo Sapiens that he could live with his sister and father in peace once more, he would have to be very powerful indeed.
Basically, Jason will take 20 on Gather Info checks (using his +18 Computer bonus, as per Online Research) for a total of 38 on Rumble, Loess, Frostbite, and Deimos. He'll also try to find more information about the mountain man.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:28 pm

Alex "Current" Murphy

As Alex and the others head back to their room, he waits until Alina is out of sight then corners Doug, "Doug, man, you-gotta-tell-me. Where is the library?"

He looks around to make sure nobody's listening then smiles, laughs, then looks sheepish, "Umm... I kinna need to find a book on how to dance."

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:32 pm

Vlad watched the scenes play out on the televisions with interest and horror. He had always heard marvelous things about America, but what he saw was...disturbing. This was what the teachers had been warning them about. This very type of thing. In his country they knew, Vampires and Werewolves were real and they were not sexy, like in the newer movies. The unquiet dead walked and preyed on the living. Those things were true, but, they did not cause the absolute carnage the screens had shown.

His gaze flicked around the room until it finally came to rest on Jack Rexroth. How bad must it have been for Jack? Neither Alex, nor Eve seemed as traumatized as his shape-shifting classmate. America was a big place though, and perhaps this "Illinois" was far removed from where those two grew up. It was hard to feel sympathy for Jack. He went out of way to be unsympathetic, but, Vlad was glad Jack was here, far away from those particular horrors.

After Jack, his gaze moved from classmate to classmate, resting a little longer on Martin and Alex, than the rest. What had happened between them and Jack and Fach in the combat was already becoming legend among the younger students. Most seemed to expect Jack to go seeking revenge, but, Vlad was not so sure. He had his own opinions about what happened on the battlefield and he was fairly sure, no one, especially not Martin or Alex would want to hear them.

He watched a stony behemoth plummet off an impossibly tall building, with a man held under him. A ruthless maneuver. As ruthless as threatening to spike a young girl through the heart if her teammates did not surrender. Vlad wondered if the stone, giants' opponent lived to surrender, and he looked at Alex and Martin.
It was laughable really. Both of them were so sure Jack had done the risky and bad thing, but, instead of surrendering and guaranteeing Fach's safety, Martin had attacked. Alex had made no move to stop him. In fact, even now he seemed to support the decision, but, who actually was the riskiest and most ruthless on the field of battle? People glared at Jack, but, Martin was as bad, or worse.

He sighed and stood up. Everywhere he looked in the room he could see nothing but, deceit, self-deceit and hypocrisy. Everywhere, but, one place. Looking at Mr. Ander, Vlad was sure he saw simmering madness. Stuffing his hands deep in his pockets, letting his shaggy hair fall over his eyes, he made his way out of the room. He was becoming morose. It was definitely time for bed.

Manintights
Partisan
Partisan

Post by Manintights » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:49 am

Randy "Gae Bolg" O'Shae

When Randy returned inside he found most people had allready retired to their quarters. Mister Fitzpatrick was nowhere to be seen. "Guess it'll have to wait till tomorrow then". With that, Randy made his way to his own room to get some sleep.

The words uttered by the stranger still lingered however and whenever he closed his eyes he could still feel the feline eyes staring at, or actually more through him. "Leave while you still can". What was this all aout?

MIT
"As my father taught, 'Training will raise your shield to the blow, but courage fills the gaps the shield leaves open.'"

Play by post games:

New Vindicators: [Gae Bolg]

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Tattooedman » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:41 am

Jack Rexroth: Greystone
Randy wrote:"G'd night Jack, needed some frsh air as well?"
Jack simply nodded in back to Randy as he passed, he was to irritated to try talking at this point. He simply pulled a crumpled cigarette pack from a pocket and set about lighting it.

Several minutes and a couple cigarettes later Jack came back to the cafeteria to find that the majority of the people had left. As he looked around he saw that most of his own class were among those gone. Wonder if my bit with Martin pissed 'em off any more than they already were?

Then he noticed what was playing on the TVs. The sight of black flame covered men going at it with people wearing uniforms that clearly made them the Vindicators at the Empire State Building no less. Jack came closer and watched til the reporters came back on-screen and began talking about the fight and how emergency crews were responding to the scene and all the damage done during the fight. He shook his head as he bit his upper lip and made his way to his room, muttering under his breath.

"And here I was starting to miss America."
OOC wrote:OK, I lied. This is my ending post for Jack on this session. :wink:
World of Freedom Setting 3E

"Your ignorance is not my burden."
-- Chiun

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by flynnarrel » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:21 am

Fluxx

A girl spoke with him! And he did not embarass himself horribly; she did not run screaming from the room! ~Oh man, nozing could spoil this evening.~ he thought... then he saw the news. He saw the tangible display of the world Jack and Mr. Ander lived in. Unbidden, an English song rose to his lips. It was an oldie, heard from one of his father's old CDs of a concert his parents actually attended while dating, but the message still applied moreso now than ever...

"But zey sent me away to teach me how to be sensible... logical.... responsible, practical./
And zey showed me a world where I could be so dependable... clinical... oh intellectual, cynical."

Martin sung this softly walking the halls as he headed to his room.

Anomaly
Champion
Champion

Post by Anomaly » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:56 am

Viktor DeGallow

Viktor awoke to the sound of a battle. He jumped out of bed like a startled cat and knocked the nightstand into the adjacent wall. Apparently, he had been watching some television prior to his crashing.

"Saved me the trouble I suppose. Have not slept this well in ages," Viktor commented as he shook the sleep from his head and tried to determine what the commotion was about on the TV.

The scene was terrible, almost like a horror movie. Black flame engulfing the top of the Empire State building, frantic news reporters chattering on about some attack in America. Viktor shrugged, reaching for the remote and tried changing the channel. The blasted story was on most of the stations. Aggravated, he shut off the television and headed for the showers then back to his own room. "I'll be surprised if the Americans can actually handle this on their own," he muttered as he shut the door.
OOC wrote:Last post for the first session :)
Last edited by Anomaly on Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Player of: Amalgam Anomaly Impasse Coulomb

ZuluEchoNovember
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by ZuluEchoNovember » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:50 pm

Eve

"I am a fencer," explained Ellen. "Have you ever tried? I could teach you, you know? I've been anxious for a dueling parter."

Eve thought back to her poor showing in the Wreck Room and her relative inexperience in combat. Fencing was as good a place to start as any in acquiring some martial training. She slowly nodded her head while cementing her resolve to learn how to fight.

"I would like to very much. Thank you, I'd love to learn to fence."
Characters and concepts: Z.E.N. Buildism
FCU Fiction: Oliver's Story

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by Michuru81 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:04 pm

NEW VINDICATORS--European Academy #2: Windmill
Michuru81 wrote:Once upon a time, the New Vindicators Academy of Europe boasted high enrollment numbers: the 2007 graduating class alone was more populated than the entire student body is today. As a result, students then were forced to bunk two to a room.

That is no longer the case. Now, you each have a 10’x15’ room all to yourselves. Each room comes equipped with a twin-sized bed, closet, dresser, desk and chair. Each floor accommodates eight rooms, with a men’s room and women’s room on each level. There are showers in the lower levels, in the locker rooms outside the Wreck Room.

At present, I’m working on maps of the school. Hopefully, I can make those available soon.

Further, students are given a monthly allowance of one-hundred euros. If anyone has any other questions about life at the school, feel free to ask away… Otherwise, all of you wake up the day after your first day without incident… except for Viktor…

IMPASSE
My apologies for not stating so earlier, but after leaving the banquet, Sarah led you to her room. After she finished with you (not the other way around), Sarah dropped back into her bed and yawned. “Okay,” she said, bored of you, “you can leave now.” Any attempts to do anything other than get dressed and get out (especially attempting to get in the last word) are met with her interrupting you in some fashion or another:
  • “Less talky, more gety outy.”

“I’m not a ‘put out or get out’ kind of girl: I’m a ‘put out and get out’ kind of girl. Lessee, step one: done… kind of. Step two?”

“Awe, did you wanna snuggle and talk about your feelings? Go get a teddy bear…”

“Seriously? Leaving me the hell alone had to be the one thing that you don’t do fast?”

“Unstoppable, my ass. You stopped pretty quick there, cowboy.”

“Are you waiting to get paid? I thought I put the money on the dresser…”
She says nothing further and doesn’t permit you to do much besides get dressed and leave for your own room.

PRODIGY
Your search for knowledge yields little knowledge on the participates of yesterday’s battle: the only one really known is Loess, the Mexican-American woman blessed with geokinesis was briefly a member of the Vindicators. Her tenure lasted roughly six months, ending with the death of Senator Bedford.
Last edited by Michuru81 on Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OUBLIETTE - NVAE: IC | OOC

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:54 am

Alex "Current" Murphy

Alex woke up before his alarm went off.

It hadn't been easy for him to get to sleep, and once asleep he'd slept poorly. He was used to sharing a smaller room than this with his little brother in an apartment building packed with people. Suddenly having a large room to himself without the constant ruckuss of other people had actually made it harder for him to get to sleep.

It was, he noticed, enjoyable not to have to have somebody complaining about when he flicked the lights on to get dressed.

He hadn't bothered unpacking, his bag barely held enough to warrant it right away. With his allowance he'd be able to buy some cloaths. Probably not new, but usable. Maybe even a guitar if he could find a pawn shop.

He paused as his sleep addled mind tried to figure out if they even had pawn shops in Austria. After a few moments he decided the bigger problem was that he didn't speak any of the local languages.

He was still shocked by the whole thing. A big room all to himself, they weren't asking for a cent, and they were giving him more money in a month than he usually saw in almost a year. He really didn't understand how the place could afford to stay in business, but his common sense said not to ask too many questions.

Things like this had a bad habit of being too good to be true.

He staggered over to his bad and pulled out his last pair of clean pants and a ratty old t-shirt.

"Oookay, find bathroom... then find showers... then find breakfast."

He pushed his way out into the hallway, "If I was a bathroom where would I be?"

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:21 am

Vlad rolled out of bed before sun up and frowned when he saw the clock. 5am. He had overslept by an hour. If he were home father would have dragged him out to the shed by now, berateing him for not having brought the first cows in for milking and going out to see whether the neighbors had left eggs for breakfast. Not having to milk brought a smile to his face. He dressed in a loose pair of dungarees and a t-shirt and wandered off toward the showers. Hot showers. Everyday. If nothing else, he was going be to cleaner and more comfortable than he had ever been in his life.

Then he frowned. Would that make him soft and weak? Mussing his hair with his hand, he glanced at the hard callouses and network of tiny scars that decorated it. Would they fade? Or would everyday, bring more combat training, as his instructors grew more and more convinced that what happened in America would find its way here?

"Shut up Vladi." He said out loud. "Thinking about these things will only hasten them. Besides, you do not want to make yourself like Mr. Ander."

Perhaps father was right. Perhaps city people had life too easy, that was why they went out of their way to start trouble. He did not know. Besides, a hot shower was waiting for him. Afterward, he would find the cafeteria and see if it were open or at least the refrigerators were available, so he could cobble together breakfast. Then the first day of real school, for he still could not think of beating on his fellow students as real school.

And Ellen. He sucked thoughtfully on his bottom lip. A whole new world here and he could hardly wait to see if it offered the possibility of romance, for once in his life. He really did not want to be a user, but, he would need Eve's help if anything were actually going to happen.

Ellen. Ellen. Ellen. Her name echoed through his head as he shuffled down the hall, scratching himself absently, in ways that only boys will do in public.

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Tattooedman » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:14 am

Jack Rexroth: Greystone

Jack had been surprised he’s slept as much as he had in bed, almost four hours, that had been the longest yet. It still felt weird to him to sleep on anything that comfortable; a lot of the time he ended up curled up on the floor next to the bed, curled up and covered with his blankets with his back to the wall. That was the only way he felt truly relaxed enough to sleep, but he knew that he should try to get used to sleeping normally so for the last two month he’d been trying to fall asleep in the bed in his room. At first he’d just lay there and stare at the ceiling until he finally gave up and crawled onto the floor and was out within minutes. But slowly over the days and weeks sleep eventually would claim him in the bed, but then after a few hours he’d just wake up, he was still adjusting to sleeping indoors and the lack sounds that came with it, and then move to the floor so he could fall back asleep.

When he’d woken up and seen that it had been four entire hours slept in the bed Jack discovered he was too awakened by his enjoyment over the fact to fall back asleep. He was used to waking up early as it was, having the morning sun be your alarm clock would do that. Now the problem was that at four in the morning he didn’t need to go scrounge for food or look for cans to cash in so he could buy something, but he knew the cafeteria wasn’t ready to go yet. He was hungry though, since he’d cut short his meal last night after talking with Mr. Carmichael and he’d already eaten his small stash the night before.

So to keep his mind busy for a while until the cafeteria would be going Jack had sat in the chair in front of his mirror and worked on what images he wanted on his arms for the day. As he looked through the dozens of drawings held in the binder he added to daily, he finally chose a series of Pin-Up style drawings he’d done in the last week to wear on his right arm. For his left arm he decided to mix in some always classic skulls, only a few though along with some koi fish he’d been working on but they would be a nice contrast with their color against the plain style of the skulls.

While he worked Jacked listened to the MP3 player he’d bought when Mr. Noble and Mr. Bradley had taken him to Poland, they had been trying to get him to get use to his new living situation and had decided a trip would be the best way of doing it. There had been a small problem with Mr. Noble, he had some problems understanding Jack’s aversion to drinking but Mr. Bradley had done a decent job of playing mediator between the pair and the overall trip had been alright.

It seemed that no matter what he tried to do so far Jack had problems making a good first impression. A grin played out across his lips as he recalled the Blitz. “Right, like beating up on folks helps with that.” His eyes rolled at the irony of the situation and then settled back to the reflection of himself in the mirror as he looked over the images as they were forming.

He spent the next few hours making the minor changes he felt were needed, moving the images around slightly so that they fit into the areas he wanted them to, changing color shifts as needed, altering sizes slightly to fit better on his arms, filling the spaces between the larger images with filler. For his left arm the filler was water that flowed between the koi that gave way to various shades of grey smoke that curled around the skulls on the top of his shoulder while on his right arm he used nothing but more grey smoke-like shading to fill the empty parts between the Pin-Ups, the result made their colors stand out all the more against the dark background.

Finally satisfied with his efforts Jack made sure the black cross with letter and number filled banner was still in good shape and finding that it was he slide the mirrored door to his closet open and pulled out a clean black, sleeveless shirt and pulled it over his head. A quick check on his wrist to make sure that all the bracelets were covering his number brand and then a pat down over his jeans pockets revealed he’d almost forgotten his smokes and lighter, which he grabbed from the top of the small table sitting on the other side of the room as he walked towards the door.

Coming out of his room Jack simply made his way towards the cafeteria, at this point he’d be willing to eat a whole box of cereal if nobody else had made anything by this point. Box included.

As he walked the MP3 blared in his ears as he made his way and he walked. Wonder who’s gonna get pissed at me today?

OOC wrote:Just because I like to share pics. A selection of Jack’s art for everyone to have a better idea of what it looks like (as not everyone can mentally picture things as well as I can I’ve discovered).
Enjoy!
The Right Arm of Pin-Ups:

The Left Arm of Skulls & Koi:
Last edited by Tattooedman on Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
World of Freedom Setting 3E

"Your ignorance is not my burden."
-- Chiun

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by flynnarrel » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:25 am

Fluxx

~Ze second day of school.~ Martin muses upon waking up to the sparsely decorated room.
~Today we stop terrorists from blowing up ze U.N., 'alt a bank robbery done by organized crime, and save a kitten... Zen, after lunch...~ Martin sighs heavily.

He sits up. Across the room on the lone desk sits the basket his parents sent with him when they bundled their only son away. The wicker construct of pastries, breads, cheeses, and chocolates only served as a reminder that he would not see his mother's face this morning or have a chance to be quietly annoyed at something his sister had done.

They had tried to be encouraging last night on the phone but Martin could tell it was a strain. Martin's parents were outraged that school administrators would put students in that kind of situation the first day of class. They had threatened to call the Headmaster and Headmistress until Martin pleaded with them not to. He explained that it was a yearly tradition and that it was part of the preparation required for the future he would face. It was wierd parroting some of the words Mr. Ander had used at the Blitz to his folks. He was sure their own viewing of last night's news fueled their anxieties. Martin simply reminded that his life as a Neo-Sapian was not going to be an easy one. This created an awkward, heavy silence broken only by Gabrielle wanting to hear again about Martin hitting that guy from behind to save the German girl, unbelieving her brother would be so heroic (he had spared them the actual harsh details). "It was only 'eroic because it worked, Elle; ozerwise it would 'ave just been foolish."

Still the whole call left the Curie family quiet and pensive. This was a whole new chapter of his life, their lives.

So, Martin was heavy in thought as he prepared himself for today's learnings, whatever they would be.