OUBLIETTE (Original 2E Builds)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

#229: Sidra

Post by Michuru81 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:22 pm

SIDRA (Power Level 8)

Height / Weight: 5’ / 104 lbs.
Hair / Eyes: Reddish-brown / Green
Place of Birth: Băile Tuşnad, Romania (December 30, 1990)
First Appearance: New Vindicators—European Academy #1

Physical Description: This mousy young woman has short, reddish-brown hair that curls under her jaw. She has a flat, freckled face and typically dresses very modestly.

Biography: The daughter of a carpenter and a school teacher, Alina grew up in a modest home and was raised to embrace Orthodox values. From an early age, she and her younger sisters knew there was a chance that they may manifest their mother’s Neo-Sapien ability. Doina Amânar never flaunted her ability to fly; it was as much a part of her as her husband’s ability to bend the tip of his thumb backwards. “I do not know how to swim,” she would often tell her children, “does that mean your father is better than me because he can? So what if I can fly?”

With such a humble way of viewing their ability, Alina never really explored the depths of what she could do. When faculty members from the New Vindicators Academy of Europe visited the small spa town Alina called home they witnessed her use her abilities and were stunned when she initially declined their invitation to join the school.

Ultimately, it was her learning of the allowance the students earned by attending classes there which cemented her decision to leave Romania. Calling it a salary, Alina began sending her stipend home to help support her family. Apathetic towards the school, she discovered a love for chess there and soon immersed herself in studying stratagem and tactics.
  • STR 10, DEX 9 (-1), CON 10, INT 16 (+3), WIS 15 (+2), CHA 10

SKILLS: Concentration 4 (+6), Diplomacy 4, Knowledge (earth sciences) 2 (+5), Knowledge (history) 4 (+9), Knowledge (tactics) 5 (+10), Knowledge (theology and philosophy) 2 (+5), Language 3 (English, French, German, Romanian [base]), Medicine 4 (+6), Notice 4 (+6), Search 4 (+7), Sense Motive 4 (+6)

FEATS: Assessment, Equipment 2, Favored Environment 6 (air), Improved Initiative 1, Leadership, Master Plan, Set-Up, Talented 1 (Knowledge [history]/Knowledge [tactics]), Teamwork 1

POWERS: Flight 8, Immunity 9 (life support; Drawbacks: Power Loss [grounded, -1 point]), Space Travel 4

Equipment: cell phone, comm link, glasses (removes drawback), GPS tracker, New Vindicators uniform (+2 Toughness, Immunity 2 [cold and heat]); 2 free equipment points

COMBAT: Attack +4, Grapple +4, Damage +0, Defense +4 (+2 flat-footed), Knockback -1, Initiative +3

SAVES: Toughness +2, Fortitude +2, Reflex +1, Will +8

DRAWBACKS: Disability (Myopia; uncommon, minor drawback; -1 point)

COMPLICATIONS: Responsibility (Family)

Abilities 10 + Skills 10 (40 ranks) + Feats 15 + Powers 28 + Combat 16 + Saves 10 – Drawbacks 1 = 88 points
Michuru81 wrote:Sidra is among the weaker members of the senior class at the New Vindicators Academy of Europe (though she's still more effective than Mildew). The majority of her classmates are PL 8/135 point builds and Sidra doesn't even brush 120. Originally, I had this idea in my head of her having Affects Others on her abilities. At present in our PBP game, she's warming up to one of the PCs and the image of her pulling a Superman and carrying a certain electric speedster into space to look down on their cosmic neighborhood is cool... but that would make her too useful to the PCs. From there, it's only a matter of time before she's used to get them from one crisis to the next in the manner my other group abused a certain Scottish speedster. If that happened, I'd probably have to off Alina (like a certain Scottish speedster) and nobody wants to see that happen...
OUBLIETTE - NVAE: IC | OOC

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

#230: Warder

Post by Michuru81 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:28 pm

WARDER (Power Level 8)

Height / Weight: 6’ / 187 lbs.
Hair / Eyes: Blonde / Blue
Place of Birth: Jönköping, Sweden (May 14, 1991)
First Appearance: New Vindicators—European Academy #3

Physical Appearance: Tall and strong, Dag cuts an imposing figure that is made even more intimidating by his lack of articulation; the Swede infrequently chooses to speak. He wears his hair high and tight and has a cleft chin.

Biography: At an early age, Dag had designated himself as his cousins’ protector. His mother’s sister had a boy and a girl, all close to Dag in age. Carl was only a few months younger than Dag and Christine two years their junior. Growing up in the same neighborhood, the trio were inseparable throughout childhood. With no siblings of his own, Dag viewed them as his little brother and little sister and as their big brother he had decided it was his job to safeguard them…

Carl’s mouth was the source of his trouble. Throughout their schooling he would agitate one classmate or another and when the altercation escalated to violence he hid behind his cousin’s back. When they were twelve, an elder boy from the neighborhood tried to intimidate Dag with a knife. Determined not to back down, the young man pressed forward and paid the ultimate cost: the instant the ring of boys surrounding them saw the blade enter Dag’s gut, they fled. Even Carl abandoned him to his fate.

Dag Schenkenberg died and then… his powers manifested.

To this day, Dag is unaware that he transcended life and death: he merely believes that he was lucky to have survived the wounding. Since then, however, he has become more aware—he perceives everything that goes on around him. Now suffering from hypervigilance, Dag is aware of everything that happens around him and sees it telescoping: he can see the projected course an object takes as it moves.

Ironically, though Dag is aware of all that goes on around him, he is unaware of the source of his powers: Dag is descended from one of the Æsir, Heimdall.
  • STR 15 (+2), DEX 14 (+2), CON 15 (+2), INT 10, WIS 18 (+4), CHA 10

SKILLS: Concentration 4 (+8), Diplomacy 4, Knowledge (behavioral sciences) 5, Languages 3 (English, French, German, Swedish [base]), Notice 4 (+16), Search 0 (+8), Sense Motive 4 (+16)

FEATS: Assessment, Equipment 2, Improved Defense 2, Improved Initiative 4, Interpose, Seize Initiative, Teamwork 2

POWERS: Enhanced Attack 8, Enhanced Defense 8, Enhanced Reflex 8, Enhanced Skills 6 (Notice 8, Search 8, Sense Motive 8), Immortality, Immunity 1 (sleep), Super-Senses 10 (Additional Senses: Danger Sense, Detect Weakness, Spatial Awareness, Uncanny Dodge [mental]), Variable Feats 1 (Extras: Action [Reaction, +3]; Flaws: Limited [second chance, -1])

Equipment: cell phone, comm link, GPS tracker, New Vindicators uniform (+2 Toughness, Immunity 2 [cold/heat]); 3 free equipment points

COMBAT: Attack +12, Grapple +14, Damage +2, Defense +12 (+6 flat-footed), Knockback -2, Initiative +18

SAVES: Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Reflex +13, Will +11

COMPLICATIONS: Responsible (Messiah complex)

Abilities 22 + Skills 6 (24 ranks) + Feats 12 + Powers 66 + Combat 16 + Saves 13 = 135 points
Michuru81 wrote:2010/3/7: Shifted a point of Str, Con and the rank of Tough to fluff his saves and make Warder's Toughness/Defense more PL appropriate.
Last edited by Michuru81 on Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: OUBLIETTE: Sidra and Warder

Post by Arthur Eld » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:58 pm

If his Defense is 22, and his Toughness is 6, doesn't that make him a PL 9?

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by Michuru81 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:05 pm

Arthur Eld wrote:If his Defense is 22, and his Toughness is 6, doesn't that make him a PL 9?
Aye! I know what I did: I was seeing the -2 Toughness and +2 Defense and thinking 12. Thanks for the catch.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arthur Eld » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:17 pm

I like em both. Its always great to see any new characters from the Oubliette U, but if they're from NVAoE, its even better.

Two questions though. One, what constitutes the Immortality power? I know its from UP, which I have sadly yet to get.

Also, the Martial Artist Feat that you've given several of your (obvi) martial arts characters like Scelera. I think I recognize it, but I don't know what it does.

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by Michuru81 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:36 pm

Arthur Eld wrote:I like em both. Its always great to see any new characters from the Oubliette U, but if they're from NVAoE, its even better.

Two questions though. One, what constitutes the Immortality power? I know its from UP, which I have sadly yet to get.

Also, the Martial Artist Feat that you've given several of your (obvi) martial arts characters like Scelera. I think I recognize it, but I don't know what it does.
Immortality is an immunity to aging, disease and poisons, coupled with Regeneration 1 with the True Resurrection extra. In Dag's case, the Regen manifested at an early age and the rest sort of slowly evolved as he made his way through his teen years.

As for Martial Artist, I use it in the same capacity I use Wealth and Status. Mastermind's Manual says, "If this feat is available, it should be considered a prerequisite for learning any unarmed fighting style." I typically observe several benchmarks with my original builds, amongst them is the idea that a character who's been in a few barroom brawls or took a self-defense course at the YMCA is never going to lay a finger on someone who has devoted years of study to a martial art. For me, when I build someone like Sclera, that feat becomes my way of excusing that he has Attack and Defense scores higher than +4. I'm fairly anal when it comes to my original builds but far from tyrannical enough to impose such philosophies on my players so... you're safe. :)

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arthur Eld » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:39 pm

I pretty much explain Jason's combat skills, in my mind, as knowing how to fight, the same way he knows so much else. Still, he's not that good at anything but dodging.

I'm sure there will be plenty of chances for me to describe his fighting style in action in the not too distant future.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:22 pm

Michuru81 wrote:At present in our PBP game, she's warming up to one of the PCs and the image of her pulling a Superman and carrying a certain electric speedster into space to look down on their cosmic neighborhood is cool...
That would be cool. :~)
Michuru81 wrote: but that would make her too useful to the PCs. From there, it's only a matter of time before she's used to get them from one crisis to the next in the manner my other group abused a certain Scottish speedster. If that happened, I'd probably have to off Alina (like a certain Scottish speedster) and nobody wants to see that happen...
That would not be cool. :~(
Fortunatly M&M is wonderful for powerstunts. And nobody'd suggest every trying it again if it affects her badly the first time... At least not in front of Alex.
Safer not to though.

Question for you: You described her as tall in the PBP but she's listed at 5' which is about average height for women.

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by Michuru81 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:33 pm

Arkrite wrote:Question for you: You described her as tall in the PBP but she's listed at 5' which is about average height for women.
Aye, my mistake. In the PBP I got her description mixed up with her classmate, Mira. My bad.

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

UC #22: Gray Fullbuster

Post by Michuru81 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:50 pm

GRAY FULLBUSTER (Power Level 10)

STR 16 (+3), DEX 14 (+2), CON 18 (+4), INT 10, WIS 12 (+1), CHA 10

SKILLS: Concentration 8, Craft (artistic) 4, Knowledge (arcane lore) 6, Notice 4, Sense Motive 4, Survival 6

FEATS: Assessment, Diehard, Endurance 1, Favored Environment 4 (cold), Power Attack, Ritualist, Teamwork 1

POWERS: Create Object 12 (“Ice Make”; Alternate Powers: Blast 8 [“Ice Arrows”; Extras: Autofire {+1}], Blast 8 [“Ice Cannon”; Extras: Penetrating {+1}], Blast 11 [“Ice Hammer”; Power Feats: Indirect], Snare 12 [“Ice Prison”], Strike 11 [“Ice Geyser”; Power Feats: Indirect; Extras: Penetrating {+1}], Strike 12 [“Ice Lance”; Extras: Penetrating {+1}], Strike 8 [“Ice Septuple Combo”; Extras: Autofire {+1}, Penetrating {+1}], Trip 10 [Extras: Area {Burst, +1}]; Power Feats: Precise; Drawbacks: Power Loss [requires both hands, -1 point]), Displacement, Shield 8 (“Ice Shield”), Super-Movement 2 (“Ice Stairs”; Air Walking)

COMBAT: Attack +4, Grapple +11, Damage +3, Defense +12 (+2 flat-footed), Knockback -2, Initiative +2

SAVES: Toughness +4, Fortitude +7, Reflex +5, Will +8

COMPLICATIONS: Obsession (Exhibitionist), Phobia (Erza), Rival (Natsu, Leon)

Abilities 20 + Skills 8 (32 ranks) + Feats 11 + Powers 48 + Combat 16 + Saves 13 = 115 points
Michuru81 wrote:The first member of Fairy Tail to accompany Lucy, Natsu and Happy is Gray Fullbuster. At first, we only get to know Gray as the goofy guy at the guildhall who has trouble keeping his clothes on but during the Galuna Island storyline we learn the reason behind his subconscious stripping...

When Gray was a young boy, the town he and his parents lived in was attacked by the demon Deliora. When Ur, who Siegrain says was strong enough to have been named one of the Ten Wizard Saints, passes through with her student Lyon, she discovers Gray as the lone survivor of the massacre and takes him in as an apprentice. She proceeds to teach him Ice Make magic, a magical art that she claims is the most versatile. A big part of her training is the philosophy that "to control ice, you need to become one with ice"--she and Lyon strip to their skivvies and command Gray to do the same, creating the weird habit he still has a decade later.

Gray eventually learns of Deliora's location and runs off to take revenge for his family. Of course he's too inexperienced and Ur arrives to save him, sacrificing her life to seal away the demon and in the process absolving Gray of the bratty attitude and obsession with strength he has.

Years later, he's a mage in Fairy Tail and a member of "Team Natsu"; for the most part, Gray uses Ice Make to attack: he generates swords and axes for simple melee combat but most often relies on slinging around the big attacks. Despite his status as one of the strong members of Fairy Tail, Gray has a bit of a problem taking punches: through out the series he's put down by Natsu punching him in the stomach or Lyon kneeing him in the gut--hence the glass jaw. To get him through a fight, Gray relies on his Ice Shield--a giant, flower-like shield that hovers before him and intercepts attacks before they reach him.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: OUBLIETTE: Sidra, Warder, Gray Fullbuster

Post by Arkrite » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:50 pm

Michuru81 wrote:
Arkrite wrote:Question for you: You described her as tall in the PBP but she's listed at 5' which is about average height for women.
Aye, my mistake. In the PBP I got her description mixed up with her classmate, Mira. My bad.
Yeah... Smart, shy, freckles and skinny. Tall would really have just been overkill.

Hubbah-hubbah. ;~)

Michuru81
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

UC #23: Erza Scarlet

Post by Michuru81 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:27 pm

ERZA SCARLET (Power Level 12)

STR 15 (+2), DEX 14 (+2), CON 15 (+2), INT 13 (+1), WIS 10, CHA 10

SKILLS: Concentration 4, Intimidate 8, Knowledge (arcane lore) 8 (+9), Notice 4, Sense Motive 4

FEATS: Accurate Attack, Attack Focus 2 (melee), Attack Specialization 2 (sword), Attractive 2, Benefit 1 (Status [S-Class]), Defensive Attack, Fearsome Presence 5, Improved Block 2, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative 2, Leadership, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Renown, Second Chance 1 (Visual Sensory Effects), Startle, Teamwork 1

POWERS: Shapeshift 10 (“Exquip”; hard to lose; Flaws: Limited [armor and weapons; -1])

COMBAT: Attack +8 (+10 melee, +14 sword), Grapple +12, Damage +2, Defense +14 (+7 flat-footed), Knockback -1, Initiative +2

SAVES: Toughness +2, Fortitude +9, Reflex +8, Will +4

COMPLICATIONS: Honor, Reputation (Disciplinarian), Secret (R System, Missing Eye, Pervert)

Abilities 17 + Skills 7 (28 ranks) + Feats 26 + Powers 70 + Combat 44 + Saves 16 = 180 points
Michuru81 wrote:The last of the core group from Fairy Tail, Erza Scarlet is sort of the leader of Team Natsu (it doesn't make sense to me either) who relies on her "Exquip" (Exchange and Equip) magic to get through fights. Also called "the Knight", Erza's magic involves her instantly exchanging the armor she's wearing and the weapon she's using for any of the 200+ suits of magical armor in her possession. Ordinarily she's seen in the Heart Kreuz Armor but more often than not she relies on the Heaven's Wheel Armor (see above) which... I have no complaints with.

Some of her armors include the Black Wing Armor...

...The Flame Empress Armor...

...and the Giant's Armor (which she used to chuck a spear into the moon)...

...but my favorite (aside from Heaven's Wheel) is the Robe of Yuuen...

Anyway, after debating between Gadgets, Nemesis, Variable Power and Weapon Summoning (too easy), I went with Gadgets to represent Exequip. Most of her armors aren't as over the top as Heaven's Wheel so, 10 ranks is a bit overkill at times. Still, here's a small sampling of the effects Erza's so far produced in the manga...

Heart Kreuz Armor: Protection 6, Strike 3 (Power Feats: Improved Critical, Mighty); Cost: 11 points
Heaven’s Wheel Armor: Flight 3, Protection 6 (Extras: Impervious [+1]), Strike 8 (Extras: Aura [+1], Duration [Continuous, +3]); Cost: 50 points
Black Wing Armor: Flight 3, Protection 6, Strike 3 (Power Feats: Improved Critical, Mighty; Extras: Penetrating [+1]); Cost: 20 points
Flame Empress Armor: Absorption 8 (Healing; Flaws: Limited [heat, -2]), Protection 6, Strike 3 (Power Feats: Improved Critical, Mighty); Cost: 27 points
Giant’s Armor: Protection 6, Strike 3 (spear; Power Feats: Improved Critical, Mighty, Thrown 2), Super-Strength 10; Cost: 33 points
Adamantine Armor: Immunity 40 (energy damage; Flaws: Limited [-1]), Protection 6 (Extras: Impervious [+1]), Strike 3 (Power Feats: Improved Critical, Mighty); Cost: 32 points
Lightning Emperor Armor: Absorption 8 (Healing; Flaws: Limited [electricity, -2]), Protection 6, Strike 3 (Power Feats: Improved Critical, Mighty); Cost: 27 points
Robe of Yuuen: Enhanced Strength 8, Enhanced Dexterity 12, Features 1 (elastic), Strike 2 (staff; Power Feats: Extended Reach, Mighty); Cost: 25 points

The Adamantine Armor kind of breaks that whole "No rank or bonus of the assumed form can be higher than your Shapeshift rank" rule but, I won't tell if you won't. As for the Features on the Robe of Yuuen, it was sort of a cop out: during Erza's fight with Midnight, she reveals that wearing the robe made her immune to Midnight's reflection powers because the robe has elastic properties... whatever the hell that means.

MorningKnight
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: OUBLIETTE: New Vindicators and Fairy Tail

Post by MorningKnight » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:37 pm

Ezra's truly cool!

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arthur Eld » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:16 am

Just wanted to take this time to demand more Oubliette-U builds. They don't even have to be NVE related.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:28 pm

I have a notion to second that motion. :D