The official Mutants & Masterminds boards
Bug Attributes + Saves[b]
[b]STR: -5 (14/1), DEX: +2 (14), CON: +2 (14), INT: +7 (24), WIS: +5 (20), CHA: +0 (10)
Tough: +2/-2, Fort: +7, Ref: +6, Will: +8
Power Level: 10; Power Points Spent: 150/150
STR: +7 (16/24), DEX: +3 (16), CON: +7 (14/24), INT: +4 (18), WIS: +2 (14), CHA: +2 (14)
Tough: +7/+10, Fort: +7, Ref: +7, Will: +8
Skills: Acrobatics 4 (+7), Bluff 10 (+12), Concentration 8 (+10), Disguise 6 (+8/+48), Gather Information 8 (+10), Intimidate 8 (+10), Investigate 8 (+12), Knowledge (arcane Lore) 8 (+12), Knowledge (streetwise) 8 (+12), Notice 8 (+10), Search 4 (+8), Sense Motive 4 (+6), Stealth 8 (+11)
Feats: All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Diehard, Dodge Focus 5, Endurance, Equipment 6, Evasion, Jack-of-All-Trades, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Ritualist, Startle, Takedown Attack 2, Uncanny Dodge (Visual)
Fanatical Determination (Enhanced Constitution 10) (+10 CON, Feats: Diehard, Endurance)
Fanatical Strength (Enhanced Strength 8.) (+8 STR)
Super-Movement 1 (swinging)
Protection 2 (+2 Toughness)
To Cloud Men's Minds (Magic 8.) (glamour; Check Required (Arcane Lore))
Dazzle 8 (Alternate; affects: two sense types - vision, DC 18)
Emotion Control 8 (Alternate; DC 18; Cone Area (80 ft. cone - General); Limited to Emotion (Fear), Sense-Dependent (Vision))
Healing 8 (Alternate; DC 18)
Morph 8 (Alternate; morph: broad group - humanoids, +40 Disguise)
Battle Skar (Strike 1) (DC 23; Mighty, Thrown (Range: 50 ft., incr 10 ft.))
Snare 8 (DC 18)
Stun 3 (DC 13; Burst Area (15 ft. radius - General), Range (ranged))
Heavy Pistol (Blast 4) (DC 19; Accurate 2 (+4), Knockback 4)
Both Heavy Pistols Blazing (Blast 4) (DC 19; Autofire (interval 2, max +5); Accurate 2 (+4))
Grappel Gun [Super-Movement 1, swinging]
Protective Costume [Protection 2, +2 Toughness],
Utility Belt array
-(Battle Skars [Battle Skar (Strike 1), DC 23; Mighty, Thrown (Range: 50 ft., incr 10 ft.)]
-Bolos [Snare 8, DC 18]
-Concussion Grenade [Stun 3, DC 13; Burst Area (15 ft. radius - General), Range (ranged)]
-Flash-Bang [(Dazzle 4, DC 14; Burst Area (20 ft. radius - General)]
-Heavy Pistol [Heavy Pistol (Blast 4), DC 19; Accurate 2 (+4), Knockback 4]
-Second Heavy Pistol [Both Heavy Pistols Blazing (Blast 4), DC 19; Autofire (interval 2, max +5); Accurate 2 (+4)]
-Smoke Grenade [Obscure 2; Cloud Area (10 ft. radius - General)]
Attack Bonus: +12 (Ranged: +12, Melee: +12, Grapple: +19)
Attacks: Battle Skar (Strike 1), +12 (DC 23), Both Heavy Pistols Blazing (Blast 4), +16 (DC 19), Dazzle 8, +12 (DC Fort/Ref 18), Emotion Control 8, +12 (DC Staged/Will 18), Flash-Bang, +12 (DC Fort/Ref 14), Heavy Pistol (Blast 4), +16 (DC 19), Smoke Grenade, +12 (DC 15), Snare 8, +12 (DC Ref/Staged 18), Stun 3, +12 (DC Fort/Staged 13), Unarmed Attack, +12 (DC 22)
Defense: +10 (Flat-footed: +3), Knockback: -5
Drawbacks: Disability, common, minor, Limited Sense of Touch -2 to PER Rolls For Touch and -2 to Fine Manual De, Disability, uncommon, minor, Monstrous Appearance
Totals: Abilities 32 + Skills 23 (92 ranks) + Feats 22 + Powers 32 + Combat 34 + Saves 10 - Drawbacks 3 = 150
Terrified chattering sounded outside. The Warlock Shorer looked and saw smoke pouring out of a window across from his. The Rat-servitors who'd garnered up the courage to return to the sorcerer's side had been steeled against human foes, even those who used magic and technology to harm them. But the thing coming from the corner was something they couldn't deal with.
"No," Shorer gasped, dropping Skaramine. The masked vigilante coughed, able to breathe once more, but the panic slicing through the circular room in waves was too much for him to catch more than a single lungful.
Skaramine struggled to his feet, seeing a hideous face framed in the doorway. Some primitive instinct froze him at his core - its visage even more terrifying as his own concealed, badly burned features. "What the hell?"
"The Hound of Tindalos! I am undone!" Shorer howled. "Please! Help me!"
Where a moment ago stood a scarecrow-like, towering menace now resided a frightened old man, pleading for aid. On the street below, the homeless that Shorer had taken for bait to draw out his last remaining blood relation stood beside Darlene, looked up at the monstrosity from the dawn of time.
Though Shorer had named it a hound, it must surely have been because of its tracking ability, for the face was nothing like a canine, brawny shoulders dissolved into sinewy tentacles which split at the end into large, writhing starfish in obscene mockeries of human hands. The hound stretched out of the window, pulling along its serpentine torso along with it, insectile hind legs climbing up onto the sill. Smoke billowed around it, and its lungs heaved out a blasphemous screech of rage.
"We've all seen it," Shorer said. "And it has seen us. It will not stop feeding, for its belly is limitless. It has hunted me from the dawn of time, striding across millenia. My only buffer was this blasted neighborhood. It could not help but peer through every corner, millions of them laid out at my whim. I thought I had more time..."
Skaramine shook off his fear, pulling his pistols. He didn't know the efficacy of modern lead and copper against a creature which swam through the timestream after its prey, but there was nothing else he could do. He jumped up, filling the curved windowsill, and screamed back his own feral response. "No one else dies today!"
- From The Hunters in the Corners, by Douglas Wojtowicz, appearing in Cthulhu Unbound 2, from Permuted Press.
- My man, Skaramine, a man with a little bit magic, a little bit Street-Level Powerhouse, and a gun-wielding Costumed Detective. I use his name as a screen name in a lot of places, and he is the starring character of my first published short story. He is a hero who came to me in a dream, drawing his name from a character's morbid joke about herself as Servalan's daughter in my Blake's 7 fanfiction back in the 1980's. He's grown, and become one of my favorite mystery men.
- Skaramine was originally another vigilante called Firehound (aka Specialist Joshua Rycerz), a gun-toting Punisher wannabe who engaged in an indiscriminate rampage against criminals after almost all of his family were killed. Only his sister had survived, and the soldier had come home to wage war. It was too much, and too wrong, eventually ending in an assault where his sister and dozens of innocent bystanders were killed. Horribly burned and burdened by regret over his violence, he sought death, but could not perish. Nursed to health and educated by a kindred soul named Kent, he was taught arcane arts to enhance his abilities.
- With a combination of illusory magicks and modern technology, Skaramine became an effective warrior in the field. His intellect and equipment are only one part of his true potential, however. His guilt and willingness to protect people from harm have given him the strength of a fanatic. While he doesn't possess impervious skin, he's tougher and stronger, his physical might enough for him to lift 700 pounds easily. Between this muscle and his gear, he can be all manner of fierce on the battlefield. He prefers not to use his two Colt 1911's (a gift from his mentor Kent) on targets who can't take it. He's learned not to kill, but also realizes that sometimes lethal force is justified.
- Skaramine's spells are slightly offensive minded with Dazzle and his Fear, but for the most part, he prefers not to use "combat magic." The throwing irons and his two Colts are good at a distance, and in hand-to-hand, he's there to inflict pain with his fighting style. The Fear Control is visually based as it is based upon the projected image of both his terror at seeing his destroyed face and the fearful dread as he recognized his sister's charred corpse and realizing it was his fault. That's a brain-cutting knife intended to fillet the fighting spirit of entire groups of thugs, softening them up for his Move-By-Action and Takedown Attack. With Ritualist and Arcane Lore, he can do things like Telelocation, Telepathic Contact, or a Mental Transform which can pluck the things man was not meant to know from the minds of innocent bystanders.
Woodclaw wrote:This is a quite enjoyable take on J'onn. My only doubt is that you left out his trademark intangibility stunt, since the character is supposed to be playable maybe you can make it an laternate power of super-strength (making it distracting).
dwellerofthedeep wrote:I really like seeing how people on this forum tackle Martian Manhunter what with the odd way his powers fit together.
This looks fun to play, I must say.
Thorpacolypse wrote:Very nice playable J'onn, one of my personal favorites. I like the way you handled his telepathy. It's potent, but not world class. Again, very nice.
MorningKnight wrote:J'onn J'onzz
I have two dogs in this fight, and they're going to be smackin' each other until one of them accepts the name Susie.
Power Level: 10; Power Points Spent: 150/150
STR: +13 (36), DEX: +2 (14), CON: +13 (36), INT: +4 (18), WIS: +4 (18), CHA: +3 (16)
Tough: +13, Fort: +13, Ref: +7, Will: +8
Skills: Gather Information 3 (+6), Investigate 4 (+8), Knowledge (life sciences) 3 (+7), Knowledge (physical sciences) 3 (+7), Pilot 3 (+5)
Feats: Attack Specialization (Unarmed Attack) 2, Benefit (Choose Benefit), Dodge Focus 5, Eidetic Memory, Jack-of-All-Trades, Set-Up, Teamwork, Well-Informed
Impervious Toughness 7
Morph 5 [Dyn: 2/r, +5max 0PP] (morph: broad group - humanoids, +25 Disguise)
. . Elongation 5 [Dyn: 1/r, max 0PP] (Alternate; Elongation: 100 ft., range incr 50 ft., +5 Escape & Grapple)
. . Insubstantial 1 [Dyn: 5/r, max 0PP] (Alternate; Fluid)
. . Invisibility 4 [Dyn: 2/r, max 10PP] (Alternate; Total concealment from all visual senses)
Super-Strength 6 [Dyn: 2/r, +4max 0PP] (+30 STR carry capacity, heavy load: 117.8 tons; +6 STR to some checks; Super-Breath (+10, Cone: 100 ft., DC 20))
. . Flight 6 [Dyn: 2/r, max 13PP] (Alternate; Speed: 500 mph, 4400 ft./rnd)
Telepathy 6 (DC 16, Adds: Communication 6, Mind Reading 6; Distracting)
. . Communication 6 (sense type: mental)
. . Mind Control 6 (Alternate; DC 16; Distracting)
. . Mind Reading 6 (DC 16)
. . Super-Senses 11 (Alternate; extended: Vision 3 (x1k), microscopic vision 4 (atom-size), x-ray vision; Distracting)
Attack Bonus: +3 (Ranged: +3, Melee: +3, Grapple: +16/+22)
Attacks: Mind Control 6, +3 (DC Will 16), Mind Reading 6, +3 (DC Will 16), Telepathy 6, +3 (DC Will 16), Unarmed Attack, +7 (DC 28)
Defense: +7 (Flat-footed: +1), Knockback: -10
Drawbacks: Disability, common, moderate, Alien Appearance (Disguisable by Powers), Power Loss (All Powers), common, minor, Exposure to Flames +1, Vulnerable, common, major, Flame and Fire
Languages: Native Language
Totals: Abilities 78 + Skills 4 (16 ranks) + Feats 13 + Powers 46 + Combat 10 + Saves 9 - Drawbacks 10 = 150
Created With Hero Lab® - try it for free at http://www.wolflair.com!
- J'onn J'onzz, the Manhunter From Mars. One more point, and I'd have slipped in his SuperSpeed as well, but for now, as a PC, J'onn is pretty much muscle, stealth, detective and mentalist in one package. Class 100 Strength - meaning he's slightly more powerful than the Vision (his direct counterpart), and able to trade punches with the strongest of Avengers, but still fairly soft if he ever makes the mistake of taking on the X-Men's telepathic powerhouses. He's not the Swiss Army God that Morrison made of him, but he's my take on what the Martian should have really looked like from Instant Superheroes (I like the Rogue Grue and Pseudo better too).
- No Life Support, but then, J'onn tends not to be flying naked in space alot. I'm sure he could Power Stunt enough Conditions off of Impervious Toughness as well.
- Again, for all that strength, he's no Grappler, but he does have enough Elongation to give him shades of acumen with that. If he had some wrestling/grappling feats, he'd be very scary in close quarters. Before shaving stuff for his Super-Strength and its Super-Breath feat, I did have two Attack Specializations in Grapple. It was good.
- Sooner or later, (maybe sooner) I'm going to do the Vision as well. Stay tuned!