Pangaea - Continents shifting, dawn of the Cretaceous!

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
MorningKnight
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: Pangaea - Sonic, L4D, Sheva Alomar, Ecco the Dolphin

Post by MorningKnight » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:22 pm

Ecco brings back good memories. There was a Sega Genesis booth in the Canteen at the Veteran's Hospital where I worked, and on lunch break, or just in the morning, I'd play a little bit of Ecco.

Can't wait to see your next awesome video game character.

Tyrant Lizard King
Zealot
Zealot

Mega Man X

Post by Tyrant Lizard King » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:32 pm

X4 Theme (and video)
X3 Opening Video

Name: Mega Man X
Power Level: 16
Power Points: 330

STR 30 (+10)
DEX 30 (+10)
CON 30 (+10)
INT 12 (+1)
WIS 16 (+3)
CHA 14 (+2)

Trades: Defense -2/Tough +2, X-Powers -2 Attack/+2 DC
Saves: Toughness +14/+18 (Impervious 6/10), Fortitude +15, Reflex +15, Will +15
Skills: Acrobatics 8 (+18), Climb 4 (+14), Computers 6 (+7), Concentration 6 (+9), Knowledge (Technology) 2 (+3), Notice 8 (+11), Pilot 4 (+14), Search 8 (+9), Sense Motive 6 (+9), Survival 4 (+7)
Feats: Acrobatic Bluff, Assessment, Attack Focus (Melee) 4, Attack Focus (Ranged) 6, Attack Specialization (Buster) 2, Benefit (Status), Dodge Focus 7, Eidetic Memory, Evasion 2, Improved Aim, Improved Initiative, Instant Up
Powers:
Comprehend 4 (All languages; Flaw: Human only -1) [2]
Enhanced Strength 20/Dexterity 20/Constitution 20 [60]
Immunity 10 (Aging, life support) [10]
Impervious Toughness 2 [2]
Leaping 3 (x10 distance) [3]
Protection 4 (Ex: Impervious +1) [8]
Regeneration 13 (Bruised/round 3, Injured/minute 3, Staggered/minute 3, Disabled/5 hours 1, Ability/20 minutes 3; Feats: Persistent, Regrowth) [15]
Speed 1 [10-40 MPH] [1]
Super-Movement 3 (Perfect Balance, Wall-Crawling 2 [Flaw: Limited -1]) [4]
Super-Senses 18 (Hearing: Accurate 1, Extended 1; Vision: Extended 2, Tracking 1; Detect Energy [Mental] 2: Extended 1, Radius 1; Direction Sense 1, Distance Sense 1, Infravision 1, Radio 2 [Extended 1], Scent 1, Ultra-Hearing 1, Ultravision 1) [18]
Super-Strength 4 (Heavy Load: 12 tons) [8]
Variable Power 7 (Any power; Ex: Action +1, Duration +1; Flaw: Defeated enemy powers only -1, 8 slots only -1; Drawback: 25 uses -1) [27]

Device 10: X-Buster (Hard to Lose; Feat: Restricted) [41]
- Damage 16 (Ex: Area Burst +1, Penetrating +1, Range +1; Flaw: Action -1) [48]
- AP: Damage 13 (Feat: Precise; Ex: Penetrating +1, Range +1) [1]
- AP: Damage 11 (Feat: Split Attack; Ex: Autofire +1, Range +1) [1]

Device 3: X-Armor [12]
Communication 9 (Radio, 20,000 miles; Flaw: Duration -1) [5]
Super-Strength 1 (Heavy Load: 24 tons) [2]

Device 5: X-Saber (Feat: Restricted) [21]
Damage 5 (Ex: Mighty +1; Penetrating +1) [15]
Penetrating Strength 10 [10]

Combat: Attack +5 (Buster +15, Melee +9, Ranged +11) Damage +10 (unarmed), +15 (saber), +16 (Buster full charge), Defense +13 (Dodge: 10), Initiative +14, Grapple +23, Knockback -10

Abilities 12 +Saves 22 +Skills 14 +Feats 28 +Powers 232 +Combat 22 -DB = 330

Possibly my favorite video game hero, right up there with Sonic, Mega Man X is by far the most powerful character I've written up yet (barring those using the Chaos Emeralds, and he's still nearly half the PL and half the points of Super Sonic!). I would love to get him to fit a "mere" 240 points and fit right in with a regular PL 16, but he just has too many powers and abilities. He also has, to put it as it has been stated elsewhere, "unlimited evolutionary potential."

Time for a little history of Reploids and Mega Man X, and a few notes. Also keep in mind that in a setting that uses him, I would use the combat challenges optional rule from Mastermind's Manual, rather than requiring everyone to pick up the feats. It's just easier that way.

Anyway, we all know who Mega Man is. In the year 20XX, the super-genius inventors Doctors Thomas Light and Albert Wily created the Robot Masters, the most advanced robots the world had ever seen, in terms of AI and in terms of powers. Control over elemental forces, as well as the ability to survive in places humans couldn't to do work too dangerous for people, were hallmarks of these Robot Masters. Both jealous and egotistical, Wily soon turned on Light and the world and took his six Robot Masters with him in a bid to conquer humanity.

There were several prototype robots created before this, including Rock and Roll, the two peaceful, lab assistant and housekeeping robots and Blues, a.k.a. "Proto Man," the first robot created by Light (and also the first to go "rogue"). Dr. Wily saw no potential in any of them and passed them over when choosing which robots to steal and reprogram, except Proto Man, whom he repaired (but Blues just escaped, anyway). When Wily's Robot Masters, leading armies of reprogrammed robots and machines intent on crushing all resistance, swept across the largest city in the world demanding recognition of his superiority, Light had no choice. He upgraded Rock -- whose Variable Tool System allowed him to mimic the functions of a tool he could examine -- into the fighting robot called Mega Man.

The history from there is very well known: Mega Man opposed Wily time and again, but always the evil doctor managed to escape. Always, Light managed to get one up on him, stay one step ahead in terms of creations. Except once.

Dr. Light, in the latter half of the 21st century, had begun work on a new type of robot, a breakthrough unlike anything else in history. It would literally alter the course of the world forever. "X," as the good doctor called his creation, could actually think and feel and make his own decisions, learn and adapt. Dr. Light chose the name because of the infinite potential that X embodied, capable of choosing his own destiny and gifted with greater powers than any robot the world had ever seen. Yet, wisely fearing that either the world would not be ready for such power or that X himself might not be able to handle it and lash out much like Wily, Dr. Light sealed him away for what was intended to be thirty years for tests.

It wasn't until 21XX that he emerged (about the year 2114), and it was because the venerable Dr. Cain, a paleontologist and roboticist (!) found the remains of Dr. Light's lab, including the capsule. Seeing that the tests were done and taking a recorded warning by Dr. Light seriously, Cain nevertheless freed X and was amazed by what he found.

X was more advanced a century later than anything created using the most modern technology. He was a new life form, learning all the time, forming his personality based on his own merits, rather than any programming. And, fortunately for the world, X became a peaceful creature, desiring nothing more than to live and learn... but though he knew X would not want to fight, Dr. Light also knew that his latest and greatest creation would have no choice. The world would always need a hero.

Dr. Cain used X's design (what he understood of it, anyway) and an assembly line to create Reploids*, which were robots of a similar advanced design and capable of their own decisions. These ranged from human-looking models to bipedal animals and stranger things, besides. Unfortunately, they were neither quite as advanced as X nor had they received the same testing, and over time many of them went "Maverick." Sometimes, this was from a defect in their systems, and other times -- the scary part -- was that it was their choice to turn against humanity.

It wasn't until Sigma, leader of the Maverick Hunters (formed in response to the grave threat) himself went Maverick that X felt compelled to fight. He journeyed to Sigma's location, battling and destroying the nine most powerful Mavericks besides Sigma, who was the most powerful Reploid ever created. Still, despite his power, Sigma fell to X, although his body had assumed a sort of viral form** that would return again and again, taking on an almost supernatural nature over time, in his hatred and defiance of Mega Man X.

Speaking of X, his powers are nearly unimaginable to lesser beings. He is faster than any human and capable of leaping tremendous distances, and his strength is sufficient to crush boulders and heft things the size of subway cars. He could overpower the Tank from L4D (I might run that battle for fun) without any armor or weapons at all. He is quite durable and, being a super-advanced robot from the future, has sensory abilities that you don't get to see much in the games but are surely there.

However, his main weapon is the devastating X-Buster, an arm cannon that he wears (and retracts his hand into to fire) that can shoot powerful bolts of energy. He has three different modes of fire, as the weapon can be charged for more and more power. The first are smaller autofiring shots of energy, capable of hosing enemies down with a barrage of fire. The second level is a greenish-blue bolt that is able to pierce all but the hardest armor. The final level is a giant explosive blast capable of decimating tanks and giant robots alike. X is a skilled marksman with the X-Buster and prefers to fight at a distance with it, using his speed and agility to avoid counterattacks.

And of course there is his most famous ability, to copy the powers of defeated enemies. The way I have interpreted it, he can copy powers in general, not just weapons (which were the most relevant in side-scrolling action games), and it's a part of him, rather than the X-Buster. Thus, a completely unarmed and unarmored X could beat down a Maverick or robot or even alien creature and gain its fire-projection ability, and just through the fire with his hands or whatever. By the same token, he could take the creature's ability to withstand any heat, if he wanted, and thus plunge into molten magma to complete his goal. He doesn't necessarily have to kill to do this, which is good, because X is a pacifist at heart... it's just that no one else can do the things he can, so he is forced to fight.

Later on in the series, after one of his best friend Zero's several deaths, X gained the use of Zero's Z-Saber, and kept it even after Zero resurrected (with his own saber), so I renamed it the X-Saber. It's pretty much a lightsaber, yeah. X can also acquire various armor upgrades that are very powerful and would probably take him near the 400-point range, such as the full "Ultimate Armor" upgrade, which boosts all his abilities and gives him the devastating Nova Strike.

One other important note that will expanded upon in my Zero writeup: Dr. Light and Dr. Wily are still "alive." They don't have their organic bodies anymore, but both appear to have turned themselves into holographic copies of themselves. In the very first game, you find capsules with armor upgrades and such and what seem to be prerecorded messages from Dr. Light. Later, you see that his messages aren't prerecorded, they're given on the spur of the moment and the luminous hologram even appears outside the capsule to rescue X when he lays dying at one point....

Same with Wily: his "spirit" possesses a machine body probably created solely for him, and at one point he meets Sigma and creates for him a new battle body of incredible power. So there's more than meets the eye to the story of Light, Wily, X and Zero. It really is an awesome setting.

* I'm going to post a Reploid species template next, along with more notes about Reploid kind.

** When I post Zero, you'll get the other half of the history of X and the Reploids and the state of the world in 21XX.

Also, I'll post some notes about my Mega Metroid X setting, which basically merges the timelines of Metroid and Mega Man X, set 300 or so years in the future of Mega Man X's timeline. Humanity and Reploids have colonized space, formed a Galactic Federation with other species, and Bounty Hunters and Mavericks Hunters alike must deal with alien threats, Space Pirates and Mavericks....
Last edited by Tyrant Lizard King on Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:17 am, edited 7 times in total.

Tyrant Lizard King
Zealot
Zealot

Reploid Species Template

Post by Tyrant Lizard King » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:46 am

Reploid Species Template
Abilities: Strength +10, Constitution +6, Dexterity +3
Skills:
Feats:
Powers:
Immunity 5 (Aging, cold, disease, heat, breathe underwater) [5]
Leaping 1 (x2 distance) [1]
Regeneration 2 (Injured/20 minutes 1, Ability/5 hours 1) [2]
Super-Senses 4 (Hearing: Accurate 1; Direction Sense 1, Distance Sense 1, Ultra-Hearing ) [4]
Super-Strength 2 (Average heavy load: 1600 lbs.) [4]

Cost: 35 power points

Reploids are the ultimate in advanced robotics. They truly possess free will, and also possibly souls (even ghosts). After all, they can grow and change mentally and physically, like living creatures, they eat and drink (and can tire, as well as feel pain), they make mistakes, they can even dream. Truly, Dr. Light created a miracle in the first Reploid, X.

Which is actually sort of untrue; X and Zero aren't really "Reploids," as the latter are the creations Dr. Cain started (and now the whole world uses) based on X's design. Thus the term "Reploid," a replication of the original -- and not quite as advanced, either, no matter how new and awesome the latest Reploid type to roll out of a factory seems.

Physically, Reploids can look like humans or bipedal animals (or quadrupedal animals), or even a more alien shape. It's all well within the realm of possibility. Without armor on, a Reploid would thus be indistinguishable from a creature born organic, without further tests. Reploids may even be able to have children!

In fact, in the future of the series (the Mega Man ZX games), Reploids and humans have grown together into a single species as advancements to humanity made them stronger and longer-lived, while Reploids became mortal. Still, since I hate what the Mega Man Zero games did with the story (and how they played, in most cases), and the ZX series comes after that, I will summarily ignore those developments. But they're there to tell you just how alive Reploids really are.

Thus, while they are immune to diseases and standard environmental conditions such as freezing cold and desert heat, Reploids' biomechanical bodies can still be affected by extreme environmental conditions. Those Reploids modified for battle, which are typically Mavericks and Hunters, can often withstand a great deal more punishment. Super-elites like X and Zero are literally one-man armies and can endure an insane amount of damage.

On top of this, Reploids can heal as living beings do, and usually a bit faster, thanks to their self-repair systems. Their senses are better and they are more mobile overall than humans, as well as significantly stronger. Even a civilian Reploid can easily overmatch a human in terms of physical prowess.

Now, X and Zero were the original Reploids, but their story is a bit more complicated than that. You'll find out (if you didn't already know) because I'm going to post Zero next....

When I get around to posting Axl, I'll also give you the low-down on the "New Generation" Reploids.

The Maverick Epidemic, part 1

Dr. Cain discovered Dr. Light's ultimate creation sometime in the early 22nd century, and even with the latest tech of the time, could not fully analyze and quantify Light's genius work. The majority of X's systems, and how Light even created them, remained a mystery.

Nevertheless, Cain and his associates were able to understand enough to copy the design -- imperfectly. This is how "Reploids" were born, and it quickly became a self-sustaining process. New design features and goals were implemented, almost like new models of cars, only these cars could eat, sleep, breathe and live on their own. Many of them also possessed superhuman power.

These were the Reploids created to do dangerous work that humans could not do. From working in volcanoes to unstable undersea habitats, some of these Reploids were given incredible power, over the elements or other tool systems. They were much like Rock and the robots of the previous century, in that sense, only far more powerful.

However, because they were based on an imperfect copy, sometimes these design defects could cause serious problems in a Reploid's personality. This leads from mental disorders akin to those humans suffer, all the way to going "Maverick," which is the term used for Reploids that have gone dangerously out of control. There are several ways this can happen.

One is the aforementioned design flaws that eventually cause a "glitch" in the Reploid's personality, causing him or her to lash out at the surrounding people and Reploids. These types of Mavericks are often irrational and, though dangerous, definitely the least dangerous of all Mavericks.

Another type of Maverick is the kind that simply chooses to go against human wishes, whether for material gain, beliefs that develop in his or her life, trickery or some combination of all three. These are among the most dangerous of Mavericks, because they are in full control -- since they have free will and decided to exercise it against the wishes of the public, they can be quite crafty and make full use of their powers.

The third type of Maverick is viral in origin, and will be discussed in greater detail in Zero's writeup, to come shortly. There are several viruses that turn Reploids Maverick, including the original "Zero Virus" that was born with the legendary Hunter Zero.
Last edited by Tyrant Lizard King on Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tyrant Lizard King
Zealot
Zealot

Zero

Post by Tyrant Lizard King » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:55 pm

"I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero. I have always only fought for the people I believe in. I won't hesitate... If an enemy appears in front of me, I will destroy it!"

Zero's Theme

Name: Zero
Power Level: 16
Power Points: 315

STR 32 (+11)
DEX 28 (+9)
CON 30 (+10)
INT 10 (+0)
WIS 14 (+2)
CHA 16 (+3)

Trades: Defense -2/Tough +2
Saves: Toughness +14 (Impervious 7/11), Fortitude +18, Reflex +12, Will +15
Skills: Acrobatics 6 (+15), Climb 4 (+15), Computers 2 (+2), Concentration 8 (+10), Knowledge (Technology) 3 (+3), Notice 8 (+10), Pilot 5 (+14), Search 7 (+7), Sense Motive 8 (+10), Swim 1 (+12)
Feats: Acrobatic Bluff, Ambidexterity, Assessment, Attack Focus (Melee) 4, Attack Specialization (Buster) 2, Attack Specialization (Saber) 3, Dodge Focus 8, Evasion, Improved Critical (Saber), Instant Up, Sword Flurry (Interval 3) 3, Takedown Attack 2
Powers:
Comprehend 4 (All languages; Flaw: Human only -1) [2]
Enhanced Strength 22/Dexterity 18/Constitution 20 [60]
Immunity 10 (Aging, life support) [10]
Impervious Toughness 2 [2]
Leaping 3 (x10 distance) [3]
Regeneration 13 (Bruised/round 3, Injured/minute 3, Staggered/minute 3, Disabled/5 hours 1, Ability/20 minutes 3; Feats: Persistent, Regrowth) [15]
Speed 1 [10-40 MPH] [1]
Super-Movement 3 (Perfect Balance, Wall-Crawling 2 [Flaw: Limited -1]) [4]
Super-Senses 18 (Hearing: Accurate 1, Extended 1; Vision: Extended 2, Tracking 1; Detect Energy [Mental] 2: Extended 1, Radius 1; Direction Sense 1, Distance Sense 1, Infravision 1, Radio 2 [Extended 1], Scent 1, Ultra-Hearing 1, Ultravision 1) [18]
Super-Strength 4 (Heavy Load: 14 tons) [8]
Variable Power 6 (Any power; Ex: Action +1, Duration +1; Flaw: Defeated enemy powers only -1, 8 slots only -1; Drawback: 25 uses -1) [23]

Device 3: Z-Armor [12]
Communication 9 (Radio, 20,000 miles; Flaw: Duration -1) [5]
Super-Strength 1 (Heavy Load: 30 tons) [2]

Device 5: Z-Saber (Feat: Restricted) [21]
Damage 5 (Ex: Mighty +1; Penetrating +1) [15]
Penetrating Strength 10 [10]

Device 8: Z-Buster (Feat: Restricted) [33]
Damage 13 (Feat: Accurate; Ex: Penetrating +1, Range +1) [40]

Combat: Attack +6 (Buster +12, Melee +10, Saber +16), Damage +11 (unarmed), +16 (Saber), Defense +12 (Dodge: 10), Initiative +9, Grapple +25, Knockback -10

Abilities 10 +Saves 24 +Skills 13 +Feats 28 +Powers 230 +Combat 20 -DB = 315

The other half of the most famous Maverick Hunter team on Earth. Though he considers X a true hero (and doesn't think the same of himself) and is, by some measures, not quite as powerful as X, you're still screwed if he's coming after you. Though he has a powerful Z-Buster, his trademark is the energy sword he calls a Z-Saber, with which he is very skilled.

Furthermore, unlike X, Zero doesn't generally copy attacks straight over, he learns close combat fighting techniques based on their attacks. He can gain some ranged attacks, but prefers to keep things up close and personal.

Zero projects a cold exterior, being much more willing to fight than his best friend X. Yet at the same time, he's not really so cold and emotionless, he just does that to protect himself. His life has been full of a lot of pain, inflicted by him and to him, even from his creation at Dr. Wily's hands. Even he wants a life of peace between human and Reploid, but it never seems to be a possibility (until his death in Mega Man Zero 4, which finally brings the two species together as one for the Mega Man ZX games -- but I'm ignoring that timeline here). There is always strife and always blood to spill, and unfortunately, it has to be him that does it.

The quote I picked for him is a pretty good indicator of how he feels about himself and his duty, to fight what others cannot. He is no hero, and he actually considers X to generally be the superior Maverick Hunter, capable of anything (and he is). He actually admires X's pacifism and shares the same general feeling. Together, the two are the most famous Reploids, the oldest and most powerful. Opposites and yet very alike in many ways.

It's worth noting that Dr. Wily said Zero at his most powerful would be the "strongest in the universe," when he accepted his destiny as the ultimate Maverick and was fully possessed by the Zero virus. Yet, Zero ultimately proved him wrong, by actually becoming stronger when he turned away from Wily's evil plans. When not overcome by the virus Wily originally planted in him, in fact, Zero chose with his free will to do good, not evil. That is why, after Dr. Wily created Zero and realized he couldn't control or convince him to do ill by the world, he overloaded his systems with the original "Zero Virus."

Birth of Zero, Death of an Era; The Maverick Epidemic, part 2

Zero was created around the same time that X was, only by Dr. Wily instead of Dr. Light. It was the one time that Wily actually equaled or exceeded the genius of Light, and the only reason he built Zero was that somehow he'd gotten hold -- through robotic spies, most likely -- of Light's plans to build a more powerful robot than anything ever before seen. If X had been completed, it would have meant the end of Wily's legacy once and for all, since in short order (after Light's tests that would have run postmortem were complete and X awakened) that the new Mega Man could singlehandedly annihilate all Robot Masters and other rogue machines possessed by Wily. Even if the aging Wily transferred his memories to a robotic body or digital "spirit," as indeed he did, X could easily destroy him and all he stood for.

Regardless, Dr. Wily created Zero, and at various periods during his construction awakened him to instill his nefarious values in Zero. It didn't work. For whatever reason, when given free will, Zero chose the path of good, of fighting to ensure a better world for both humans and, later, Reploids. So Wily was forced to take drastic measures, and here we come to some speculation about just how the original "Zero Virus" was created.

Some suspect that it was from the "evil energy" that was the center of the story in Mega Man 8 that Wily derived the virus. This is a good guess. It may also be a perfected form of the Roboenza virus that Wily created and unleashed in Mega Man 10 (which itself may be derived from "evil energy," as there are some similarities there).

Either way, Dr. Wily was forced to infuse this virus into Zero's systems, which caused the crimson ass-kicker to go berserk when he was unleashed. Here we come to more speculation: the original Mega Man and his allies are dead and gone by the time of the X series. Did Zero kill them? It's a good possibility, since he was far more powerful than anything seen at the time (and X wouldn't be unleashed for another hundred years or so). Yet there is also a good case that Zero did not see action during the Wily Wars, and thus could not have destroyed Mega Man, Bass and the others.

No matter what happened to Mega Man, Proto Man, Roll, Bass and the others, they are simply not around in the 22nd century, early in which Zero was found in the remains of Wily's lab and awakened. He proceeded to go berserk, destroying Hunter after Hunter, his power unrivaled by all but one Reploid (two, if one counts X, but X hadn't taken to fighting yet). The legendary Sigma, high commander of the Maverick Hunters, bravely chose to go in and face Zero on his own, to spare any further casualties. In the remains of that old lab, they battled fiercely, but the red Maverick quickly gained the upper hand.

It wasn't until the gem on Zero's helmet flashed with a "W" and caused him pain, perhaps a delivery mechanism of Wily's to periodically injected more virus into Zero's system (as he burned it up while fighting such an intense battle) or Wily's "spirit" lurking in the shadows, attempting to influence Zero to victory. Maybe it was even the work of Dr. Light's "spirit," with the foresight to know that Zero would champion the forces of good if freed from Wily's spell. No matter what it was, in that moment of weakness Sigma struck a powerful blow, shattering the crystal and defeating Zero.

That was the second most momentous event in history, next to the creation of X. In that moment, the virus was transferred to Sigma (though its effects would not manifest immediately) and Zero was cured of it. Zero was brought to Dr. Cain, who analyzed and contained him during his convalescence. When it was done and Zero recovered? He was placed under close watch, including by Sigma himself, and carefully studied for signs of Maverick behavior once more. There was none to be seen again in the red-armored Reploid, and Zero was eventually conscripted into the Maverick Hunters. His incredible power made him an elite leader of his own unit in little time at all, and saw the end of many of the most powerful Mavericks.

Things would not always go so well. The virus that had infected Sigma was changing within him, merging with his systems, which were the most advanced of all time next to X and Zero. In time, they became one -- Sigma was the Maverick Virus. He became a Maverick himself, the worst ever, and renewed the Reploid rebellion (as some Reploids, the free-willed Mavericks, believed humans held Reploids back from their ultimate destiny as explorers and conquerors of the universe). Worse still, there was now a new way for Reploids to go Maverick: the virus. Sigma passed it on to other Reploids, and it spread from them to others, and although some were normally resistant to it, battle could leave them susceptible.

Sigma even returned from destruction time and again as he could copy himself from data scattered all over the world in computer viral form.

Only X and Zero were truly immune to the virus, and in Zero's case, the truth was a bit more complicated than that. In one particular battle, Sigma lost on purpose to X and Zero, and his destruction covered much of the planet in the Maverick virus. It went further than that, as Sigma attempted to crash a space colony named Eurasia into Earth, causing a worldwide apocalypse. His whole purpose was guided by someone that he met, an "old man," a man with a hatred for X and views Zero "like a son." Together, Sigma and this man wanted to awaken Zero's true self, the destructive god that Wily had originally envisioned. They partially succeeded, as Zero was subjected to the original Zero Virus (which Sigma had obtained from Wily when they met) in the course of events on Eurasia.

Zero briefly went Maverick once more, and gained incredible power, becoming "purified" into that godlike engine of carnage that Albert Wily had always wanted him to be, the strongest in the universe -- except that X was there and helped Zero to regain control after fighting to a draw. They destroyed Sigma, who in turn killed Zero as his dying act... or so it seemed. X was also mortally wounded in that battle, but Dr. Light appeared somehow and repaired X. Zero's body vanished in the aftermath.

As it turned out, Zero had survived, hiding away until his self-repair systems had him fully regenerated. He then met up with X again over the course of the "Nightmare" scenario, a virus-like plague caused by a Reploid scientist's experiments with Zero's Reploid "DNA," found after the Eurasia incident. Dr. Wily possessed a robot body and helped to worsen this incident as the Reploid called "Isoc," but abandoned the body once X and Zero prevailed in stopping the scientist, Dr. Gate.

Years later, X and Zero would face Sigma in what seemed to be the final battle on the moon. There they destroyed him, and since there was nothing else for the virus to infect nearby, it seemed that would be the end of the Mavericks. Yet Sigma had always come back and there were still machines on the moon, so it's easily possible some of his data escaped to trouble mankind once more in the future....
Last edited by Tyrant Lizard King on Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Pangaea - Sega, Sheva Alomar, Mega Man X, Zero, Reploids

Post by Jabroniville » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:34 pm

Wow, PL 16 for X & Zero. That's really high- why do you put them at that level, might I ask? They never seemed THAT powerful in-game, unless they were boosted in the side-scenes. Where does the Regeneration come from- their energy-collecting over the course of a level? They never seemed to gain in health by the minute.

What kind of PL would you give to one of the Maverick Reploids? Say, Spark Mandrill or something.

Tyrant Lizard King
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Tyrant Lizard King » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:22 pm

Jabroniville wrote:Wow, PL 16 for X & Zero. That's really high- why do you put them at that level, might I ask? They never seemed THAT powerful in-game, unless they were boosted in the side-screens. Where does the Regeneration come from- their energy-collecting over the course of a level? They never seemed to gain in health by the minute.

What kind of PL would you give to one of the Maverick Reploids? Say, Spark Mandrill or something.
They're pretty darn strong. Consider the enemies they're fighting, war machines of all kind and rogue machines. They often take hundreds or even thousands of hits over the course of a game from energy weapons, explosive missiles and the like. They blow up robots and tanks and giant robots and giant tanks and stuff all the time. In the videos, such as the ones I posted for X, they're shown to be incredibly powerful, as well.

There are some heroes in Mecha & Manga that are given at PL 15, and I think X and Zero easily exceed them in power. They're basically stated in the games to be the most powerful beings in the universe (or at least their planet, but Wily specifically called out Zero as strongest in the universe -- and X can surpass him).

Regeneration comes from their self-repair systems, which are quite potent. Zero was blasted in half, losing both legs and one arm and came back. They don't recover at all in terms of time just on their own in the game (except with the chip in X3 that speeds up their self-repair), but those are gameplay conceits. They're also shown in videos and such to be capable of leaping greater heights and such than they generally can in the game.

While I can see where one might assume a lower power level for these two, I have no trouble seeing them as vastly outclassing standard PL 10 heroes and even the listed PL 15 heroes in Mecha & Manga... well, to some degree. Things like magic or certain powers could definitely give them trouble. Without their gear, they'd be lower for effective PL, but still very powerful individuals, but you nailed it: with their gear boosting them (and possible copied powers), they're quite a bit stronger.

For your typical Maverick? Many of the humanoid robots faced by X and Zero are Maverick Reploids, rather than Mechaniloids, as I'm sure you know. They're probably PL 10 or so at most, but I doubt the weakest of robot warriors in their setting is much lower than that, maybe PL 8. Advanced weapons and technology just make anything much weaker unfeasible.

For the elemental-controlling boss Mavericks, and guys like Sigma? Well, Spark Mandrill I'd probably put at PL 14-15, at least in terms of his offensive capabilities. He might not actually have the full 225 or so, given that he'll be strong and fast and have his energy powers, but won't really have the breadth of power or equipment that X and Zero have. X and Zero in the earliest games probably are around the same. Sigma is probably about the same as the ones I designed above, just built such that he can give X or Zero a hell of a challenge.

Later Mavericks are stronger, I think. Blaze Phoenix was the strongest, I think, of the Mavericks at least up until X6. Chill Penguin definitely isn't on the same level as him or Magma Dragoon, for instance.

I think if I went lower, PL 15 would probably be it as far as X and Zero go. It seems to me like they definitely equal the Exiled Deity or the Super Martial Artist in pure power, and they would (in my opinion) make short work of many of the standard archetypes. Certain ones would give them trouble, like the Paragon, but yeah, anyway. Long post.

What PL would you put them at, my good sir?

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Jabroniville » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:49 pm

Well, I statted up the Mega Man regular series characters as PL 10s, so I'd either go with that or PL 11 or something. I rarely exceed PL 10 unless a guy is REALLY powerful- even my Superman & Thor builds are PL 12, because I deliberately want to keep them as PC-worthy guys rather than super-heavyweights who are unbeatable to regular PCs.

I'm mostly unfamiliar with the X-games after the first one, so I haven't read any 'fluff' descriptions of X & Zero blowing up tanks with one hit or knocking buildings over (like a PL 15 could probably do). I really couldn't give an 'accurate' PL reading of them for that reason. Did X really show enough feats in combat to equal Goku in power (that's where the Super Martial Artist template comes from, obviously)? If so, then his in-game version certainly doesn't showcase it :).

Tyrant Lizard King
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Tyrant Lizard King » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:19 am

Jabroniville wrote:Well, I statted up the Mega Man regular series characters as PL 10s, so I'd either go with that or PL 11 or something. I rarely exceed PL 10 unless a guy is REALLY powerful- even my Superman & Thor builds are PL 12, because I deliberately want to keep them as PC-worthy guys rather than super-heavyweights who are unbeatable to regular PCs.
There's a big difference between us, then: I don't feel higher PLs are inherently unworthy as PCs. In fact, that attitude puzzles me. Now keep in mind that's not a shot at you or anyone who feels that way, because a lot of people seem to. But for me? There's nothing about PL 10 that is a particular sweet spot and no reason for me to keep a character anywhere near that level if I don't think they're at that level. Unbeatable to regular PCs wouldn't ever be a problem if you keep them in context, you know? X and Zero are "regular" PCs in their setting; if you're throwing a PL 16 at a group of PL 10 heroes, well, you can do that and make a good story out of it, but it does obviously require a careful hand. But generally it doesn't matter how much stronger they are than PCs in other games, because they're not fighting PCs in other games.

Superman and Thor are well beyond PL 12, and while keeping them at a low PL like that so you feel they're playable is great (and I'm glad it works for you), for me, PL 20 is as playable as PL 10.
Jabroniville wrote: I'm mostly unfamiliar with the X-games after the first one, so I haven't read any 'fluff' descriptions of X & Zero blowing up tanks with one hit or knocking buildings over (like a PL 15 could probably do). I really couldn't give an 'accurate' PL reading of them for that reason. Did X really show enough feats in combat to equal Goku in power (that's where the Super Martial Artist template comes from, obviously)? If so, then his in-game version certainly doesn't showcase it :).
Well, they don't necessarily blow up tanks in one hit, and even a +15-16 attack won't necessarily do it, but their full power strikes are really damaging, yeah. X or Zero could definitely go into a building and bring it down if they wanted to. It wouldn't take them long at all to destroy a modern tank, a few attacks at most. If it was heavily armored or had some kind of advanced technology, like many of the foes they face, sure, but these guys still cut through whole armies of Maverick Reploids and machines on their own, and in short order.

X is not anywhere near Goku's power, but then again, that Super Martial Artist is nowhere even close to Goku, either. It's further away than X is, certainly. In fact, the SMA's strength and energy blast level are about on par with early Dragon Ball Goku, as a kid, but nowhere near the moon-smashing Master Roshi or planet-smashing Frieza/Super Saiyan Goku (much less the solar system-smashing "Super" Perfect Cell). I like the build and I appreciate everyone that worked on Mecha & Manga, but as an homage to Goku, the SMA works. As someone who really fights like Goku or has anywhere near the same power? Not even close. His flight speed is too slow, his powers are too "weak" (which isn't to say that they're weak in a vacuum, just compared to Goku, who is insanely powerful). He's a cool character, for sure, just not Goku.

I think X's in-game version, who weathers hundreds to thousands of energy blasts, explosions, melee strikes and such in a single game, while maybe not as powerful as what they show in the game videos, is still enough to suggest a high PL. :) Not only that, but his upper limit is like that of a Saiyan -- he has no upper limit. His potential is unlimited.

Game play conceits definitely can throw this kind of thing off, but to me, having played all the games (and loved the series), I feel X and Zero definitely deserve the PL 15-16 range. Of course, we'd probably never agree on that because you feel PL 10-12 is the most PC-worthy, while I do not (necessarily) agree.

The above might sound snarky or something, and it really isn't meant to. I have nothing but respect for you, your builds and your opinions. I don't happen to agree on what's considered truly playable, but that's all there is to it. So... no offense meant, and hopefully none taken!

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arthur Eld » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:42 am

Let me say that I respect your '20 is as playable as 10' philosophy. Its one of the reasons people do multiple builds of the same character, so you can run different PL campaigns with the same character and have it feel like the same guy, rather than someone who is arbitrarily powered up.

Example-in his own book, Superman might function as a PL 15. He can whoop just about anyone in a fair fight, and those above him will require him to think smart (which, despite not being his strong suit, he does quite frequently). However, in a JLA comic, so as to not overshadow the other characters, he might be downgraded to PL 13 or 12.

Also, Batman could be a PL 10 (although maybe not 150pp) and feel right, especially for a solo adventure. In a JLA setting, his PL might get bumped to 12 and he'd undergo changes like switching his Equipment to the Gadgets power, but he'd still seem like Batman.

One of the things about X and Zero is that they're similar to the above examples. At the beginning of Mega Man X, X gets beat by Vile rather easily, when Zero comes in and drives the villain off with one well-placed charged shot. Later in the game, Zero gets captured by Vile, and X fights him on a much more even keel, beating him (after some assistance from Zero).

To reflect this, you might want to do multiple builds of X, a 'beginning game' version at PL 10 or so, and then a more polished, higher-level version, with upgrades, weapons, more health, and possibly more power.

It is worth noting the effect of Feats, though. At PL 10, balanced with accuracy and damage, X could still dish out DC 30 blasts or +15 (master-level) accuracy attacks with the Accurate and Power Attack Feats. Maybe something to consider.

Also, its also important, in all the MM games, to avoid damage more than just stand there and dish out blasts, most of the time. So, you might want to re-think giving X a higher Toughness than Defense, and maybe the Improved Defense Feat (for when you do nothing but run and jump in a round to dodge attacks).

Just my two cents, but personally, I think the multiple PLs approach is probably the best one.

Tyrant Lizard King
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Tyrant Lizard King » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:53 am

Arthur Eld wrote:One of the things about X and Zero is that they're similar to the above examples. At the beginning of Mega Man X, X gets beat by Vile rather easily, when Zero comes in and drives the villain off with one well-placed charged shot. Later in the game, Zero gets captured by Vile, and X fights him on a much more even keel, beating him (after some assistance from Zero).
Great avatar, first off. :mrgreen:

You're very right. Multiple builds are certainly the way to go. I suppose I didn't clarify it enough that the X and Zero above are how I see them after the end of Mega Man X8 or so. Thus, they have lots of experience. X at the beginning of his career was certainly weaker, and your example is the perfect one to illustrate that: he couldn't beat Vile or even inflict any damage on him, much like with High Max in X6. Yet, in both cases, later on in the same game, he had gained the power necessary to defeat a previously superior foe.
Arthur Eld wrote: To reflect this, you might want to do multiple builds of X, a 'beginning game' version at PL 10 or so, and then a more polished, higher-level version, with upgrades, weapons, more health, and possibly more power.

It is worth noting the effect of Feats, though. At PL 10, balanced with accuracy and damage, X could still dish out DC 30 blasts or +15 (master-level) accuracy attacks with the Accurate and Power Attack Feats. Maybe something to consider.
I still wouldn't put them as low as PL 10, generally. I think even X fresh out of the testing capsule was probably a bit stronger than that, but I get your point, and it is a sound one. Hm, maybe I could drop these guys to 14-15. They'd still probably have more points than normal for their level, representing that large amount of experience that they have, but I could try it. I just don't want to cut anything I feel is vital to the character and concept.

Out of curiosity, Mr. Eld, where would you place these two? Say, around the X6-X8 time, where they're much more experienced than in the first couple games.
Arthur Eld wrote: Also, its also important, in all the MM games, to avoid damage more than just stand there and dish out blasts, most of the time. So, you might want to re-think giving X a higher Toughness than Defense, and maybe the Improved Defense Feat (for when you do nothing but run and jump in a round to dodge attacks).

Just my two cents, but personally, I think the multiple PLs approach is probably the best one.
You're right. I figured that a Defense of 12-13 for each is pretty high, though, and then they could use the Full Defense actions if they needed to in order to be really hard to tag. But when they do get hit, they can take it quite well.

Heck, X was covered in Titanium-X "skin" (whether it referred to his biomechanical skin or armor is unclear, as I recall), which is something like twice as tough as Titanium. These guys really can take a pounding!

If you have any more suggestions, especially specific ones as pertains to these two characters, I'd be happy to hear them! :)

And again, Jab, you've been doing this longer than I have and I have nothing but respect for what you do, so don't let me come off like I was snarky or dismissive of what you had to say!

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Jabroniville » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:56 pm

Nah, don't worry about it- my skin is much thicker than that! :) There's nothing I like more than a good old-fashioned simple debate.

You are correct that PL 16 is perfectly playable if the universe around them is also PL 16 in scope (you said some of the Mavericks are PL 16, which is fine comparably. But what of the common enemies? Zero's +16 Z-Saber can easily be Power Attacked to +21 damage, which is MORE than enough to rip a standard tank- Toughness 12 in M&M- in half in one shot I believe- though Future Tanks are no doubt a bit tougher). It's just such a dramatically high PL that I was a bit stunned to see it in use. That puts both of them easily at Superman level in just about anybody's builds, and I had no idea X & Zero were so capable (like I said, I'm unfamiliar with their cut-scene & fluff capabilities- their game selves just jump around and shoot stuff like regular ol' Mega Man did).

I personally keep PLs between 9 and 12 for several reasons. Henchmen in M&M are PL 4 to 5, so a large group of them is a concievable threat to your average superhero (a PL 10 individual)- not overwhelming, but they can be dangerous. The M&M standard characters they have written up are generally PL 10s, with their "Justice League" class heroes as PL 12s (Raven & Captain Thunder especially, their "Iron Man" analog is PL 11), so obviously that's where they see certain guys- their "Pre-Crisis Superman" is PL 16, representing the Uber Tier. So to me, REALLY powerful heroes are PL 12, in keeping with the standards the RPG writers set down.

Of course, I take SOME issue with their standards. They have minor background villains as powerful PL 11s and 12s, and Mastermind-type supervillains with the Attack Bonuses of Kung-Fu Masters, just to make them a challenge for whole teams. Their Tyrannosaurus Rex build is a PL 12 SUPERHEAVYWEIGHT, having an attack bonus better than a ninja warrior, just to make it tougher, when a real-life T-Rex would probably be dropped by a good-sized rifle salvo, and a single basic superhero should be able to beat one with enough effort.

But for the most part, I stick by their basic templates. Supes & Thor get downgrades to what I call "PC-level" not because I view PCs as lower-level (didn't mean to imply that), but because everyone ELSE is at a lower level, and so PL 13-14 Thor & Superman would be leagues beyond their teammates, making them unworthy as PCs in a large group (nobody wants to play Hawkeye when Thor is standing there otherwise).

Plus, I take into account that most of the heroes inhabit the same universes, and have to fight each other alot. Thor is super-powerful, but is challenged by Absorbing Man, who has lost fights to Wolverine (hand chopped off), Captain America & Spider-Man. So their PLs shouldn't be THAT far apart, even taking into account that nobody in their right minds thinks Spidey or Cap can K.O. Thor. Iron Man is similarly near-Thor in might, but has taken physical damage from both Cap & Spidey. Never underestimate guys' Feats modifying all their caps, plus stuff like Hero Points.

Here's my little link to my Design Diary on Power Levels to get my full P.O.V. on things. I even include "Do what you want!" as advice to players, so your way isn't wrong at all :)! I'll edit it to include my points on "shared universe" as well- I'd never really thought about that till now.

MorningKnight
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by MorningKnight » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:09 pm

Now c'mon, Jab. I'd wear the purple chainmail and sling arrows as Hawkeye ANY day. And I'd pretty much have all manner of fun utilizing his superhuman levels of skill.

Tyrant Lizard King
Zealot
Zealot

Sir Daniel Fortesque

Post by Tyrant Lizard King » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:36 am

Name: Sir Daniel Fortesque
Power Level: 10
Power Points: 150

STR 26 (+8)
DEX 18 (+4)
CON 0 (-)
INT 10 (+0)
WIS 16 (+3)
CHA 12 (+1)

Trades: Attack -2/Damage +2
Saves: Toughness +10, Fortitude -, Reflex +7, Will +10
Skills: Climb 4 (+12), Concentration 4 (+7)
Feats: All-out Attack, Attack Specialization (Sword) 1, Dodge Focus 4, Equipment 2, Fearless, Improved Critical (Sword) 1, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Takedown Attack 2
Powers:
Anatomic Separation 2 (Head, arms) [2]
Damage 6 (Ex: Range +1; Flaw: Chained to Anatomic Separation [Arms] -1; Drawback: Reduced Range -2) [6]
Immunity 30 (Fortitude effects) [30]
Super-Strength 1 (Heavy Load: 1840 lbs.) [2]

Device 6: Dragon Armor [24] [Magic]
Alternate Form 6 [30]
-Damage 10 (Feat: Split Attack; Ex: Area Cone +1) [21] [Magic, Fire]
-Immunity 7 (Cold, Heat, Fire damage) [7] [Magic]
-Super-Senses 2 (Infravision 1, Scent 1) [2] [Magic]

Device 2: Magic Sword (Feat: Affects Insubstantial; Drawback: Power Loss [When transformed] -3) [6] [Magic Descriptor]
Damage 4 (Feat: Mighty; Ex: Penetrating +1) [9]
-AP: Damage 4 (Feat: Mighty, Split Attack; Ex: Autofire +1; Flaw: Action -1) [1]

Device 2: Magic Hammer (Drawback: Power Loss [When transformed] -3) [Magic descriptor, lighting descriptor on Area Burst] [5]
Damage 4 (Feat: Mighty; Ex: Area Burst +1) [9]
-AP: Damage 4 (Feat: Mighty; Ex: Penetrating +1) [1]

Device 2: Magic Throwing Axe (Drawback: Power Loss [When transformed] -3) [5] [Magic descriptor]
Damage 2 (Feat: Mighty 8; Ex: Range +1; Drawback: Reduced Range -2) [10]

Device 4: Magic Crossbow and Throwing Spear (Drawback: Power Loss [When transformed] -3) [9] [Magic descriptor]
Damage 6 (Feats: Accurate; Ex: Autofire +1, Penetrating +1) [19]
Damage 6 (Feats: Affects Insubstantial, Mighty, Thrown 2) [1]

Equipment:
Full Plate Armor (Toughness +6) [6]
Medium Metal Shield (+2 Dodge bonus, +2 block, may block slow projectiles) [4]

Combat: Attack +6 (Sword +8), Damage +8 (unarmed), +6 (thrown arm), +12 (sword, hammer, spear), Defense +6/8 (Dodge: 5/7), Initiative +4, Grapple +9, Knockback -5

Drawbacks:
Disability (Can't float or swim; Common, Moderate) -3
Vulnerability (Fire; Very common, Moderate) -4

Abilities 22 +Saves 14 +Skills 2 +Feats 13 +Powers 89 +Combat 16 -DB 7 = 150

Here's the star of a couple of my favorite games, the MediEvil series. He has a real interesting story, too.

You see, Dan was a great storyteller, but a coward and a weakling. He regaled the king of Gallowmere with stories of his derring-do, slaying dragons, vanquishing evil wizards and the like. The kingdom of Gallowmere hadn't been at war for a long time, so when the king knighted Dan, he thought little of the consequences.

Then the evil necromancer Zarok raised an army of the dead and marched against Gallowmere. Guess who was conscripted to lead the defense? That's right, the mighty Sir Daniel Fortesque.

The very first arrow fired in the battle killed Dan, piercing right through his left eye. He died before ever a sword was drawn. Though Gallowmere's army succeeded without him, the king was so distraught that his champion was actually worthless that he couldn't let Dan shame him and destroy the hope of his citizens. Thus, he claimed that Sir Dan killed Zarok and died in the process. Zarok did indeed vanish in the battle, but he was not dead.

Sir Daniel Fortesque was given a hero's funeral and had an elaborate tomb constructed for him. He lay as a hero for one hundred years -- although his spirit didn't rest easy, because he was a fraud and never admitted into the legendary Hall of Heroes. Lying atop an ornate dais, put to rest in the armor he'd fought in, Dan's body became a skeleton over the passing century.

Zarok returned one hundred years after the original battle, once again striking at Gallowmere. He traveled through the kingdom, his dark magics reanimating the dead and sending them against the populace. His powers were too great and he struck out of surprise, stealing living souls and using his growing undead army to conquer all resistance.

Unknown to him, Zarok's necromantic energies also seeped into the tomb of Sir Daniel Fortesque, reviving the knight's skeleton. Unlike everyone else, Dan is able to retain his free will, perhaps because of his shame at his own failure. Thus, he sets out to set aright his ignoble death by actually being the hero he was believed to be. Guided by animated gargoyle faces, Sir Dan fought his way to Zarok's lair. Along the way, he made repeated trips (after filling a magic chalice with the souls of defeated monsters) to the Hall of Heroes. Originally disdainful of the fraud, the Heroes there nonetheless granted him their magical weapons, one by one, in order to aid his quest (since they were dead and no other heroes were to be found).

With these weapons, Sir Dan eventually reached Zarok's stronghold and defeated his zombie-centaur champion, Lord Kardok, and then Zarok himself in a pitched battle. Afterward, returning to his crypt, Dan laid down to sleep once more, and this time, his soul was admitted to the Hall of Heroes as a great champion.

Dan would later rise again, five hundred years later, when a man named Lord Palethorn found Zarok's spellbook and attempted to conquer the world with it, starting with England. Sir Daniel Fortesque ventured forth once more and slew Palethorn, falling in love with a reanimated mummy named Kiya in the process, and together they used a time machine (that Dan used to go back and prevent the Ripper from killing Kiya) to venture off on their "honeymoon." It was soon interrupted by a fusion of Palethorn and Zarok, but them's the breaks.

Sir Dan as presented here is like he was at the end of the first game, or the beginning of the second game. He has all his weapons, including the Dragon Potion, which turns his armor green, with draconic fins and a helm shaped like a dragon's head. It makes him immune to fire and allows him to breathe fire like a dragon, but he can't use any of his powerful weapons while thus transformed.

In the second game, Dan gets the golden Super Armor after Kiya is killed by the Ripper. Dan uses a time machine created by a slightly-crazed professor ally of his to go back and meet his past self, merging with past Dan. The fusion creates the Super Armor and strengthens Dan, who then defeats the Ripper and saves Kiya. He gets many of the same weapons from the professor, although he does get some new ones, including a gatling gun.

Dan is tremendously strong, able to hold a giant hammer in one hand (its head is bigger and considerably thicker than his whole torso) and swing it with incredible force. The magic sword he receives in the Hall of Heroes is likewise huge, and he can push some big, heavy blocks in the game. He's not particularly fast, but he's not slow, and his lack of skin gives him a bit of flexibility in ways living things might not have. All of his weapons are magic, except perhaps for his own arm.

Yeah, Sir Dan can literally pull off his own arm and beat foes with it like a club, or throw it and have it automatically return. It isn't that strong, but it's better than nothing. He can also pop his own head off and place it on these little ambulatory, disembodied hands that roam through the death magic-infused lands (in the second game -- in game terms, Dan would pick up the Minions feat at the start of his second adventure) in order to see and even access things he couldn't otherwise.

Unfortunately, without the Dragon Armor, Dan is vulnerable to fire and cannot swim. He sinks like a stone, so deep water is bad news for him. Despite those flaws, however, Dan is a skilled and proven hero... even if it was a hundred years after the fact.
Last edited by Tyrant Lizard King on Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tyrant Lizard King
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Tyrant Lizard King » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:17 am

Jabroniville wrote: You are correct that PL 16 is perfectly playable if the universe around them is also PL 16 in scope (you said some of the Mavericks are PL 16, which is fine comparably. But what of the common enemies? Zero's +16 Z-Saber can easily be Power Attacked to +21 damage, which is MORE than enough to rip a standard tank- Toughness 12 in M&M- in half in one shot I believe- though Future Tanks are no doubt a bit tougher).
I'd definitely imagine future tanks are a bit tougher, but to be honest, Zero putting all his might into a slash and destroying a modern tank in a single attack seems fairly close to the mark to me. As I'll be explaining below, I might try to squeeze them into PL 14, but yeah, Zero is a monster in melee combat. He can definitely dish out incredible damage with his saber, enough to destroy a lot of machines in one blow.
Jabroniville wrote:That puts both of them easily at Superman level in just about anybody's builds, and I had no idea X & Zero were so capable (like I said, I'm unfamiliar with their cut-scene & fluff capabilities- their game selves just jump around and shoot stuff like regular ol' Mega Man did).
Yeah, some of it was extrapolation from fluff. The scale changed, even if the actual gameplay didn't much. The technology was far more advanced, and thus weapons more destructive, and machines more durable. Like I said, these guys are the strongest in their universe, but their powers really are amazing. A whole city or space colony or nation can be taken over by Maverick machines, and X or Zero goes in and is literally a one-man army, taking hundreds to thousands of blows from energy weapons, missile, melee attacks and the like, while absolutely carving through thousands of enemies.

The Maverick Reploids themselves are probably more powerful than standard mecha in war shows and the like -- these guys are all superheroes in terms of power and powers, just robotic/anime in style.
Jabroniville wrote: I personally keep PLs between 9 and 12 for several reasons. Henchmen in M&M are PL 4 to 5, so a large group of them is a concievable threat to your average superhero (a PL 10 individual)- not overwhelming, but they can be dangerous. The M&M standard characters they have written up are generally PL 10s, with their "Justice League" class heroes as PL 12s (Raven & Captain Thunder especially, their "Iron Man" analog is PL 11), so obviously that's where they see certain guys- their "Pre-Crisis Superman" is PL 16, representing the Uber Tier. So to me, REALLY powerful heroes are PL 12, in keeping with the standards the RPG writers set down.
Hm. Henchmen challenging superheroes is fine by me, as long as it's realistic -- like Spider-Man or something. The Silver Surfer does not and should not have anything to fear from mooks, even Kree mooks with advanced laser blasters and such. Current Surfer is probably PL 20, at least -- I don't agree with that scale as put forth by the books, if PL 12 is supposed to represent the higher Justice League members. Pre-Crisis Superman is definitely beyond PL 16 in my opinion, and Thor is probably at least around PL 16. So are quite a few other heroes.

X and Zero, for example, have absolutely nothing to fear from normal guys with guns. Normal guys with rocket launchers have a chance to hurt them, but the Maverick Hunters could weather such attacks very well. So I'm fine with henchmen and even trained but normal human warriors being at PL 7 or so at max, and some heroes being completely beyond that. The mooks it takes to challenge X are advanced robots with powerful weaponry. Said mooks would be good challenges for lesser heroes and completely maul normal mooks.

Do you have Mecha & Manga? Here's its breakdown of PLs:

Heroic (6-10)
Example: Noir, Ghost in the Shell, GetBackers

Metahuman (11-15)
Examples: Inu-Yasha, Naruto, Bleach, Darker than Black

Epic (16-20)
Examples: Saint Seiya, X/1999, Claymore

Cosmic (21+)
Examples: Dragonball Z (naturally!), RahXephon, the end of Neon Genesis Evangelion

I don't know most of those shows, but still, this scale seems to differ a bit from what the other books have presented. This scale is definitely more in line with what I feel as far as PLs go. I mean, PL 10 is pretty good, it's not like you start as weakling superheroes by default, so PL 12 can be damn powerful, but there's a lot more room above that, to me, that not only do a bunch of guys fit, but deserves to be used. It's a robust system and so I like pushing the envelope.

Going back to the Silver Surfer, who has always been a powerhouse but is now insanely powerful, he's a "cosmic" hero, and so like I said, according to the above scale, PL 20+ easily fits for him. And I am not afraid of those numbers in the slightest. Not that you are, of course, but I just mean that I don't shy away from big PLs.

We talked about Goku a bit earlier. Let me put him in perspective:

Master Roshi had a Power Level of 150 (in DBZ terms). He blew up the moon.
Frieza in his "first form" (it was actually a transformation he created to make himself weaker, 'cause his full power was such a strain) blew up a whole planet with little effort. His Power Level was 530,000.
Super Saiyan Goku was at a Power Level of 15,000,000. Frieza at 100% was at twelve million, and at once point in their fight formed an energy ball in seconds capable of destroying a planet. Goku punched it into space... where it blew up another planet in Namek's solar system.

Super Perfect Cell, for whom no set Power Level was given (they stopped after Frieza Saga), was going to blow up the whole solar system with his energy blast. His Power Level was at least ten times Super Saiyan Goku's (in the Frieza Saga).

Super Saiyan 3 Goku is probably a good five times as powerful as that Cell, maybe more. The Supreme Kais were all listed at like 1000 times as strong as Frieza, and they were outclassed in every way by a Super Saiyan 3. And SSJ3 Goku isn't even the strongest being in the Buu Saga.

Yeah, it's ridiculous. But anything but the Goku in Dragon Ball, when he was a kid, qualifies as higher than PL 10, for sure, and from Frieza Saga onward definitely fits into the "epic" and then "cosmic" categories given above.

X and Zero are similarly powerful, in my opinion, capable of changing the fate of the whole world (or conquering it, if they wanted to). They can't blow up planets, but they have great power.
Jabroniville wrote: Of course, I take SOME issue with their standards. They have minor background villains as powerful PL 11s and 12s, and Mastermind-type supervillains with the Attack Bonuses of Kung-Fu Masters, just to make them a challenge for whole teams. Their Tyrannosaurus Rex build is a PL 12 SUPERHEAVYWEIGHT, having an attack bonus better than a ninja warrior, just to make it tougher, when a real-life T-Rex would probably be dropped by a good-sized rifle salvo, and a single basic superhero should be able to beat one with enough effort.
I'm actually inclined to feel that its attack bonus isn't too far out of line (for an adult, experienced tyrannosaur). +12 is pretty high, I'll admit, but according to the fluff (and sidebar on page 38), that's an "expert" level attack. For an animal like a tyrannosaur, which spent its whole life fighting and had a whole array of incredible senses and adaptations to make it a killing machine (don't you quote Horner on me, I have a hundred reasons why "t-rex was a carnivore" is a crock :P ), it probably was an expert at fighting. Maybe not +12 worth, I'll grant you, but it's also being beefed up with that typical "comic book-awesomeness" factor, too.

Spider-Man, as I recall, actually knocked out a tyrannosaur in one punch, but he's super-strong. Depending on what type of powers they have, a single basic superhero could still theoretically be in big trouble against one. A Paragon or Battlesuit would probably make fairly quick work of it with little danger, but these things had a bite force of up to 10 to even 20 (!) tons of pressure per square inch. They had the most powerful bite of any land animal in history, and I think possibly of any animal period. It'd also depend on what type of rifles we're talking about here as far as bringing it down easily and where you hit it -- these things had really thick skin, muscle, bone and more, and we know from fossil records they survived sometimes literally dozens of injuries, infections and such before finally dying. They were tough!

There is fossil evidence of a tyrannosaur literally biting a triceratops' horn off. Face to face, jaw to horn, those two titans battled. That's hardcore! It bit its horn off and gouged up its frill! But the triceratops survived that encounter, because they were also exceptionally badass. :D

Anyway, enough about the dinosaurs. I'm a huge dinosaur nerd, sorry. You're probably right, and it might be a bit overpowered due to its coolness factor, but not by all that much. They were dangerous animals. Even Spider-Man would die if he got bitten by railroad spike-shaped, serrated teeth with the bite force these things possessed.

I would take issue with some of the same things you do, it seems: Masterminds having Kung Fu Master attack bonuses and such. Unless it's Doctor Doom, then no. Not every character has to hit all their caps or be able to challenge a hero in personal combat. That's the whole point of Masterminds, isn't it? Not to face the heroes directly?
Jabroniville wrote: But for the most part, I stick by their basic templates. Supes & Thor get downgrades to what I call "PC-level" not because I view PCs as lower-level (didn't mean to imply that), but because everyone ELSE is at a lower level, and so PL 13-14 Thor & Superman would be leagues beyond their teammates, making them unworthy as PCs in a large group (nobody wants to play Hawkeye when Thor is standing there otherwise).
Hm. I understand more where you're coming from, now. I don't know that I'd agree in all cases, but if you're talking about super-powerful heroes and the "Team Effect," then yes, I definitely agree. It's a common phenomenon, really. Superman or Thor are downgraded while on a team of lesser heroes, or downplayed, at least. Most of the time.

Supes originally fought Doomsday alongside most of the Justice League, and then went back alone and did what he and the rest of the team couldn't do together. Heh, I think that's an example right there of what you're talking about, although I think it's probably less that and more them trying to stress just how hard he was pushing himself with the ultimate heroic sacrifice.
Jabroniville wrote: Plus, I take into account that most of the heroes inhabit the same universes, and have to fight each other alot. Thor is super-powerful, but is challenged by Absorbing Man, who has lost fights to Wolverine (hand chopped off), Captain America & Spider-Man. So their PLs shouldn't be THAT far apart, even taking into account that nobody in their right minds thinks Spidey or Cap can K.O. Thor. Iron Man is similarly near-Thor in might, but has taken physical damage from both Cap & Spidey. Never underestimate guys' Feats modifying all their caps, plus stuff like Hero Points.
Some of that could be bad or mistaken writing, though. Anyone that can honestly challenge Thor should brutalize Wolverine, whom I hate and feel gets way more credit than deserved, anyway. Wolverine shouldn't be able to challenge Hulk, so their fights shouldn't be "legendary." I enjoyed seeing Hulk pound him senseless in the Planet Hulk storyline (I think it was) as a result. He's just way beyond Wolverine's power level. Ugh.

No, I don't think Spidey or Cap can take down Thor, although Thor just recently really started using his full power all the time, right? And it's possible through whatever machinations that Absorbing Man was able to gain the right powers to challenge the Thunder God -- he even took the properties of Mjolnir on at least one occasion, didn't he?

I do forget about extra effort and Hero Points, and I will start taking that into account more, along with feats. I still don't think I'd put Iron Man really near Thor's full power, but I do see what you're saying.

Also, it's late, if my wording here is getting confusing or whatnot... blame it on the drowsiness. ;)
Jabroniville wrote: Here's my little link to my Design Diary on Power Levels to get my full P.O.V. on things. I even include "Do what you want!" as advice to players, so your way isn't wrong at all :)! I'll edit it to include my points on "shared universe" as well- I'd never really thought about that till now.
Your way isn't wrong either, Mr. Ville, and to be honest -- I've used your Design Diaries quite a bit! I'm not kidding when I say your work has inspired me in my own, and so me sitting here trying to debate with you the finer details of creating characters in M&M is foolish of me. You're still more experienced, more well-known and more liked here, so I hope I'm not coming off the wrong way.

I think we'll probably always have some difference of opinion when it comes to PLs, but I don't mind, and I truly do see where you're coming from in your views. I hope I've been able to make my own perspective even half as clear as yours, and I am going to try a few things differently now with some advice I've gleaned from your posts here (and you others that have posted).

Quick question: how is the fluff on, say, X and Zero in my writeups? Is the explanation of Mavericks and the origins of both Reploids clear enough? Is it too rambling? I really like writing up the histories and powers and personalities of the characters I do, so if that's not working out, either, let me know and I'll try a change! :)

Man Called True
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Re: Pangaea - Sega, Sheva Alomar, Mega Man X, Zero, MediEvil

Post by Man Called True » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:17 am

Holy damn, someone else who's played MediEvil. The first game is one of my favorites in the entire PS1 catalog. (I refuse to acknowledge that the sequel exists.)

Looking over it, I have no complaints, but I wonder about the Super-Strength. Far as I can tell, we never see Dan lift anything that heavy.

As for the MMX builds... well, I admit I raised an eyebrow at putting them that high, but it's your build, so what am I to say?
I've forgotten more than some people will ever know... Of course, there's my problem...

My Character Stumblings