Earthshift (OOC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Caniswolfman
Compatriot
Compatriot

Earthshift (OOC)

Postby Caniswolfman » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:21 pm

The end of the world didn’t happen like anyone expected. There was no final judgment. No nuclear holocaust. The polar ice caps didn’t melt. No final battle between good and evil. It wasn’t 2012. Jesus didn’t appear. It just happened. There was one explosion that started it all. No one knows how it happened, but it wasn’t a normal explosion. It didn’t dissipate after a set distance; it covered the globe. Where smoke and ash would cover the land, an electric storm filled the earth. Where a normal explosion would sow destruction and leave smoldering ruins, this one was even worse. It left everything intact. But things had changed. The rules Shifted.

The Shift, as it’s called, changed the very essence of life on Earth. The explosion was a rapidly expanding wave of white lightning, stretching across the horizon. When it encountered something it went through it, ignoring the conventions of physics. Nothing was disturbed on the outside, and it went as quickly as it came. The effects of The Shift were lingering, however. The Shift produced a number of seemingly random effects. First, it nullified electricity. Secondly, it rendered guns and explosives useless. Third and final, it created what can only be described as paranormal mutations.

So, I was wondering if anyone would be interesting in a MM game set in a Post Apocalyptic world. Well, technically, you’d see the actual apocalypse and would try to survive through it and cope with your powers/abilities. Anyway, let me list the few rules I have, since the little Intro should summarize a lot.

-All characters start out as PL 7, and will advance in PL as the game progresses
-All characters have to be in Philadelphia or the surrounding area. That keeps me from managing characters across the country. Although if you really want to be from another place let me know. If you have any questions about Philadelphia, let me know; I live there.
-All of your characters powers should be connected somehow. I just need a good explanation why; I’m not looking for anything scientific. I just don’t want a completely random powerset.
-That being said, I reserve the right to approve/disprove characters. Although on the rare chance I don’t approve a character I’ll probably just ask for a few changes to be made.
-You start out as a normal human character, and after The Shift you will receive your powers. No aliens/powers before The Shift. No need to make your unpowered character, just your powered one.
-The Shift neutralized electricity and guns, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have a device with those. There are 3 types of powers
• Mutations- the most common alteration caused by the Shift, and causes anything from appearance changes to actual powers.
• Equipment/Linked Powers- Powers that are dependent on something else (aka: devices) these are the second most common powers appearance after The Shift, and are caused by a linking of the person’s DNA, Chi, Spirit, etc, being linked with something else, like a gun or umbrella.
• Superpowers- These are the rarest, but typically the most powerful abilities people can have after The Shift. These are superpowers a person gained typically without the need of anything else, like an Equipment Power. They can be anything from telekinesis to Super-Strength.
-Rules of Earthshift: No electricity and no guns, unless granted through a power or Equipment Power
-Any additional rules or information I will post here as well as necessary.
-(edit) As I've had a few questions, I'll state it here. You start right as The Shift happens. Your PL7 build is what comes after the Shift, and you will forge your characters story after the Shift.
-EVERYONE is changed by The Shift in some way. Whether it be a massive mutation, or something as simple as hair changing color, no one is not effected in some way. Some changes don't even have to be physical, and can be a minor genetic change in their DNA. But I just wanted it to be understood that The Shift affected everyone. well, almost...

Current Characters:
DECEASED Lonestar- Johnnie May
Flynnarrel- Jake Gorin
JDRook- Chase
DECEASED Godwall- Anthony Tomlinson
Heretic454- David Wallace
Storm Vermin- Peter Tauselten

RULES
-I’m getting many of my rules from here .
1. Rerolling: Basically, if you’re going to reroll, do it in your post and note that you rerolled. Reroll rules state that you have to declare you’re going to reroll before the GM tells you the results. If I am rolling for you, then I will use my discretion. If you disagree with my use of a hero point for a reroll, you have 24 hours from my post to notify me of your wish. (I’ll be smart. I’ll keep you from getting KO’d if possible, and won’t reroll on a natural 20). Note that this only applies if I am rolling your saves. If I am taking control of your character for some reason, then the ruling stands.
2. Combat: In combat, everyone rolls initiative. Everyone then can post their actions for the round and make their rolls. I will make a summary post, saying what happens in that round (including enemy attacks). You don’t have to wait in order to post what you want to do. Feel free to include an IF... THEN statement as needed. I can roll toughness saves for you, or you can roll a toughness save in your post in case you get attacked. Feel free to do it either way.
-If the situation changes between your post and what happens in the initiative order, then I will allow 24 hours from my summary post for changes. You can change your post between that time. IF…THEN statements make this easier. Ex: [On her action, barring some dramatic development, like a teammate needing to be snatched out of danger or herself being KO'd in the initial volley, she attempts to use Telekinesis 9] If a teammate DOES need saving, then I will wait 24 hours for a new post.
3. Post Rate: I’m adopting a 5 day post rate. If you haven’t posted in 5 days, then I will take control of your character to further the story. If this is too quick, please let me know. If at some point you happen to know you won’t be able to make a post within that time, let me know, I can push it back to 7 days if needed. This is generally for combat. If we’re in a non combat situation, and you character doesn’t have anything to say/do for 5 days, then I won’t NPC him. This is only for cases where character interaction is necessary to further the story.
-If you’re going to be gone for an extended period of time, please let me know so we can work something out.
4. Color: I would like if everyone would pick a color, and have their character’s conversations be in that color. Barring that, I want every person to start their post with at least their character’s name. Their character’s name in color would be wonderful . Flynnarrel and Heretic454 gave examples.
5. Basics: Quotes in quotation marks. Thoughts in Italics. OOC stuff that doesn’t go in the OOC thread (like combat and rolls and whatnot) goes in a quote box.
6. InvisibleCastle : This is what I want you all to use for your rolls. Registration is free, and this way there is no dispute of legitimacy. As a GM I don’t have to use it (bahahah!), but I would like you as players to use it.
7. Smiles: quoting Pirates of the Caribbean, These aren’t so much rules as guidelines. If there ever is something you have a problem with, just let me know. I can be flexible to suit your needs as players. Lord knows I’m not perfect.
If you want, in my opinion, a short, quick PbP game that sums up what I hope for, then this is it. I took most of the rules from this, and this is the general combat style I’m going for, posting-wise.

So please, I’d love to hear what you all have in mind! Any questions, feel free to ask.
Last edited by Caniswolfman on Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:09 am, edited 13 times in total.

Lone Star
Compatriot
Compatriot

Re: Earthshift (Post Apocalyptic MM game)

Postby Lone Star » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:23 pm

I call dibs. He told me about it first. :D And...uh...I'm awesome like that.
"It's alright to be afraid, David, because this part won't be like a comic book. Real life doesn't fit into little boxes that were drawn for it."

glyph
Zealot
Zealot

Postby glyph » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:30 pm

I actually have a perfect character that I could use for this from a game that fell through. A jewel thief turned mutated monster. I'd just need to drop her PL
Glyph's Den of Heroes

"No body is born a vigilante, they must be forged from the fires of life, pain and the choices they make."

Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Plan B » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:24 am

Intrested got a couple of ideas.

Just want to check a gun would have to be a device and not equipment, wasn't planning on using one just checking.

I'm considering using a mount (not saying what yet) would a side kick be ok.

And how long after the end are we meant to days? months? years?
    Insert witty comment here.

Bluecross
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Bluecross » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:06 am

Interesting ideas... ... what sort of things would the characters be doing in this campaign? Is it a survival kind of thing, or something else?
"I know gun fu"

Crusher - Batch 9

Curt Mardis :- Tracer - Albright Institute

Connor MacLeod - LoEP

Minos - Wild Cards

GM for Toledo Knights

heretic454
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby heretic454 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:26 am

I'd like to post my interest as well, because this does sound interesting and I have a character idea I could use. Couple of quick questions - what's the tone of the game? Meaning are we going the Terminator style of Post Apocalyptic future, or are we going with something a bit lighter in tone. A linked question to that is, what'st he lethality of the game?
What's the power structure of the world? Does the US government still exist? Does any government still exist? I have no problem with basing my character in Philidelphia, but from NYC (which is where i'm from)...maybe they're a courier, if travel is a huge problem. In Post Apocalyptic worlds it usually is.
Let me know, I'll start building up a character.

Caniswolfman
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby Caniswolfman » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:33 am

Plan B wrote:
Just want to check a gun would have to be a device and not equipment, wasn't planning on using one just checking.

Yep. Gun would have to be device. Guns no longer function after The Shift.

Plan B wrote:I'm considering using a mount (not saying what yet) would a side kick be ok.

What did you have in mind exactly?
Plan B wrote:And how long after the end are we meant to days? months? years?

You'll be there right as The Shift happens

Bluecross wrote:Interesting ideas... ... what sort of things would the characters be doing in this campaign? Is it a survival kind of thing, or something else?

At the beginning it'll start as survival, but there will be a plot to keep you guys moving, so you're not just trying to survive. Living in a world suddenly without electricity will be difficult, but survivors of The Shift also have powers to help them out. You'll see a new world form, basically.

heretic454 wrote:I'd like to post my interest as well, because this does sound interesting and I have a character idea I could use. Couple of quick questions - what's the tone of the game? Meaning are we going the Terminator style of Post Apocalyptic future, or are we going with something a bit lighter in tone. A linked question to that is, what'st he lethality of the game?
What's the power structure of the world? Does the US government still exist? Does any government still exist? I have no problem with basing my character in Philidelphia, but from NYC (which is where i'm from)...maybe they're a courier, if travel is a huge problem. In Post Apocalyptic worlds it usually is.
Let me know, I'll start building up a character.

If anyone has read Dies The Fire, or any book in the 'Change' series, that's the kinda world. I'm not very familiar with Terminator (I'm ashamed of that fact), but you will see a world turn ugly very quickly. All the effects are not immediately visible, but when people start getting hungry, they get nasty. Lethality varies between people you face. Death is a possibility, but more likely from foes than from the environment. While you may not be among the dead, there will be millions across the world that perish because of The Shift

Technically the government and everything still exists. However, you probably won't hear from them again. How could you? with no electricity, means of communication have all but disappeared. And without guns, the military isn't as powerful. And can't mobilize. And being a courier is perfectly ok.

The biggest problem form The Shift is the lack of electricity. Think about everything that runs on it. Now just shut it off immediately, permanently. The repercussions are vast.

Caniswolfman
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby Caniswolfman » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:37 am

Also- As you were just a normal person before the Shift, you still have your normal name. You can obviously have an alias or something, but you began this story as a normal person.

Also- Superheroes/superpowers did not exist in the world before the Shift. Just in case people were wondering.

heretic454
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby heretic454 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:53 am

In that case then I'm probably going to go with Steampunk inventor as my schtick. And if we're right after the shift,t hen I guess I would have to grow into the role of Courier.

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby flynnarrel » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:08 pm

Just reading Dies the Fire now. Funny! (not the book, the coincidence of a game coming from it).

Caniswolfman
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby Caniswolfman » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:42 pm

flynnarrel wrote:Just reading Dies the Fire now. Funny! (not the book, the coincidence of a game coming from it).

Really! It's one of my favorite books, and sparked this idea. Take Dies the Fire, and add superpowers to the chaos. And then obviously I change some things, but yea, that's awesome!

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:55 pm

This sounds intriguing, and I have a couple concepts I might want to throw out and see if they stick.

My first is a favourite of mine - a photokinetic who can manipulate light in a variety of ways (Invisibility, Blast, Dazzle, Color Control, etc) but can't generate light. I've done a few versions of her, with the most interesting one being a single mother, which would add another layer to the survival issue. I could do without that aspect though if it would make things too complicated.

The other one I was thinking of is a private investigator-type who gains the ability to control vehicles at a practically supernatural level. Basically any vehicle he gets into would behave like a Device, essentially becoming like powered armor that happens to be shaped like a car. On the plus side, in your post-Shift setting, there's going to be literally millions of useless vehicles lying around that he could use. On the minus side, the mechanics are a little off: most vehicles have a defensive PL of around 8-10 (have to check again once I get out my books at home) so to balance out for a PL7 game I'd have to make his offensive PL around 4-6. If that's cool with you, I wouldn't mind playing him low-offense until his experience grows, with maybe him only able to use a motorcycle for the first while until his powers develop.

I have a PL6 version of Crystal, my photokinetic, here and a PL10 of Chase,the PI, here. Obviously Crystal will be easier to ramp up to PL7 than Chase will be to downgrade. If you're interested in either of them, I can give you a modified version by tomorrow, if not tonight.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Storm Vermin
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby Storm Vermin » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:49 pm

Post-apocalyptic setting, sounds interesting. I already have a concept, but I want to ask if it would be okay. Basically, it would be a guy who during the Shift somehow fused with nearby steel. I would prefer to create him using constructs rules (he would have no CON score and be Immune to Fortitude Effects). Of course, I can see a problem with this, since Immunity to Fortitude Effects means that you do not have to eat, sleep and are completely resistant to disease and poison. If this is a problem, I can simply remove it.
Last edited by Storm Vermin on Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby flynnarrel » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:55 pm

Jake Gorin PL 7, 105

Jake Gorin was driving his route with a van full of exotic reptiles from all over the world when the shift happened. He didn’t mind the job and it was good experience in his chosen field of veterinary medicine. He hoped one day to get his license and finally be able to propose to his long-term girlfriend Sally Melson without feeling like a shmuck. His aged mother, Nancy Gorin, (still in the area) was hopeful too.
All that changed when the white lightning bolt struck through the van Jake drove, briefly chaining him and all of the animals he carried in a white, oddly painless arc. He awoke in the wreckage of his van, irrevocably altered.

Likely, he'll search for a 'cure'. Barring that, he'll search for a group that doesn't try to kill him on sight. Between his looks and his communication drawbacks it should be interesting.

Appearance: Short humanoid with a bulging throat and narrow, yellow, reptilian eyes which, rather than feral, have a sad look to them. Green, scaly skin and hairless. He’s still wearing the dirty blue uniform with logo from Monster Pets, 1946 S Columbus Blvd, with the stained name “Jake” still legible on the front. His claws look vicious and he possesses a short, stubby, non-functional tail.

St 10, Dx 18, Cn 16, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8 [14pp]

Saves: REF: 4+4 WIL: 1+5 FORT: 3+4 [13pp]
Tough (Max 6): 3+3(protection)

Attack(Max6): +4(melee Feats)/ +6 Claws/ +6 Accurate Attacks
Def (Max 8 ) 4[8pp] +4Dodge feats, 18, 12 if flat-footed
Dmg (max8 )

Feats: Power Attack, Attack Focus: Melee4, Uncanny Dodge(scent), Dodge focus 4, Improved Initiative, Hide–in-plain Sight {skin adjusts like a chameleon}, Evasion, Skill Mastery (Acrobatics, Stealth, Medicine, Notice), Grappling Finesse [15pp]

Skills: Acrobatics +8 (+12), Notice +12 (+13), Concentration +4 (+5), Sense Motive +6(+7), Knowledge: Life Sciences +2, Medicine +4 (+5), Survival +2(+3), Stealth +10 (+14) [12pp]

Powers:
Additional Limbs 1: Forked Prehensile Tongue [1pp]

Elongation Flaw: limited (Narrow -2/r) Tongue only, pr 3, Ambidexterity (tongue only), Drawback: no elongation bonus to Escape Artist {25ft} [1pp]

Super Senses, smell Acute, Accurate, Extended, Track 1, Drawback: vision looses Acute, infravision [5pp]
{A reptile cannot make visual distinctions but can sense heat and have very powerful sense of smell through the tongue}

Spit/Secretion Array: [20 pool, +4 AP]
Snare; Feats: Accurate 3, Precise; pr8
{Large globs of sticky spit fly out to 80 feet. It anchors to the ground or nearby object. Reflex DC18.}
AP: Suffocate; Extra: Sustained; Feat: Accurate, Blindfighting, Flaw: Independent [0], Full Round Action, pr8 (20pp) {Gorin’s goo-coated tongue darts out with remarkable accuracy. If it hits, the saliva absorbs into the blood (unless resisted, Fort DC18). The body’s hemoglobins can no longer bond with oxygen, and the victim undergoes suffocation for 10 rounds Con DC10 +1 per round.}
AP: Stun: Feats: Accurate, Sedation, BlindFighting, Improved Critical (19-20) Alternate Save (Will)[0] pr 8 {A neuro toxin much like that of a Jellyfish transfers from the tongue to victim. It causes seizing up of the nerve clusters, Will DC 18}
AP: Stench - Nauseate, Duration Sustained +2/r, Area-Cloud, Flaw: Scent-dependent. pr 4 (16pp) + Link[0] Obscurity (Visual/olfactory), Flaw: Range -Touch, pr 2 (4pp)
{Gorin Exudes a thick cloud out to 10 ft radius, All who enter are subject to the noxious stench (Fort DC 14, Nauseate). The Cloud is impossible to see or smell into.}
AP: Acid Spray – Strike, Area-Cone general, Secondary effect, Drawback: reduced area [5ft increments], Lethal only, Feat: incurable pr 7.
{Jake can spew an organic chemical oxidizer out to 35 feet in a rough cone shape.}

Immunity: own powers, poisons [2pp]

Claws: Strike, Feat: Accurate, Improved Crit [19-20] Drawback?: Lethal Damage only, pr 8 [9pp + 1AP]
AP: All fours Container: Wall Clinging, full movement, full dodge pr 2(4pp) + Speed 2 (2pp) + Immobility 2(2pp) + Burrowing 2 (2.5mph) (2pp) + Enhanced feat: Prone Fighting + Gain Drawback – no arms, -2
{Jake drops to all fours and his claws can dig in and hold fast to almost any surface or, in a blur of claws can dig rapidly (albeit blindly) into the earth.}

Protection 3, Noticeable [Scaly, green skin] [2pp]

Leaping x5 pr2, [2pp] (25ft standing broad Jump)

Drawbacks: Mute (Unreliable 50%) -2 {very hard to understand speech from Jake as his tongue gets in the way of his words, only 50% of the time does his words come out as anything more than garble.}

Drawbacks: Weakness (Uncommon, moderate) Exposure to Cold environment or attacks cause Gorin’s cold-blooded body to be less responsive (Cumulative loss of DEX) [-2pp]

Complications: Short, stubby fingers, poor manual dexterity, looks monstrous, Sally Melson (girlfriend), Nancy Gorin(mother)
Last edited by flynnarrel on Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Godwall
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby Godwall » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:47 pm

Is electricity entirely gone or just the vast majority of it? For instance, do you still get thunderstorms? I mean, I'm assuming it's not entirely gone since people have nerves and brains that run on the stuff. Turn it off entirely and you turn off the human race as well.

I'd had an idea for this really menial, pathetic and reclusive shut-in guy who gains the ability to generate electricity and may be the only person on the continent (hell, the planet) able to. I think it'd be interesting to have a character who has suddenly been catapulted to importance against his wishes. All he wants to do is live his life on his own, while suddenly everyone is out to get him on their side because he can fuel the generators or get the cars running etc.

Return to “M&M Game Room”