Jab's Builds: 2nd Edition Stuff (Kept in Reserve)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's Builds: Dr. Demonicus, The Pacific Overlords

Postby Jabroniville » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:12 pm

MORGAN KAIN
PL 8 (140)

ST 10/50 (+15) DEX 12 (+1) CON 12/32 (+1/+11) INT 18 (+4) WIS 13 (+1) CHA 10

Skills:
Intimidate 4 (+4)
Investigate 4 (+5)
Knowledge (Physical Sciences) 4 (+8)
Knowledge (Life Sciences) 4 (+8)
Knowledge (Technology) 6 (+10)
Notice 4 (+5)
Sense Motive 3 (+4)

Feats:
Teamwork

Powers:
Growth 20 (Drawbacks: -10 Max. Strength) [50]

Machine Animation 10 (Feats: Progression 3) (Extras: Horde) [33]
Super-Senses (Detect Machines- Ranged 2, Acute) [3]

Saves:
Toughness +1 (+11 Full Size), Fortitude +3/+13, Reflex +2, Will +3

Combat:
Attack +6 (+0 Full Size), Damage +0 (+15 Full Size), Defense +7 (+0 Full Size), Initiative +1

Abilities: 15 / Skills: 28--7 / Feats: 1 / Powers: 86 / Saves: 5 / Combat: 26 (140)

-Kain's a REALLY bizarre one- not in appearance (he's just a guy in a speed-suit with nails in his head... pretty normal for this crew, you see), but in powers- who else combines Machine Animation with Growth? And not minor growth either- this guy jumps up to 100 feet, and can ALSO control passing airplanes and stuff like that. Very bizarre mix of powers, making him the most effective of his group thus far. His Animation power is enough to control things like Klaw's Sound-Blaster Claw as well as full-size jets. He was one of the only members of his team smart enough to figure out that Demonicus was NUTS, but was mind-controlled into servitude anyways, which ultimately killed him when Demonica collapsed. Sure, Dr. D turned up alive, but he was a RECURRING VILLAIN. THIS batch of losers is likely only known to Roy & Dann Thomas, their creators, and likely no other writers or artists. So we'll never see the likes of these losers again :).

Woodclaw
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Jab's Builds: Dr. Demonicus, The Pacific Overlords

Postby Woodclaw » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:29 pm

Jabroniville wrote:Hah, what a silly little character Cybertooth is. Jawbreaker's pretty bad, and so are the rest of the Pacific Overlords, but CYBERTOOTH? He even looks ridiculous- a guy with green shades and a humongous shark-toothed grin? OK, I guess it'd be scary (especially in real life), but the name alone makes him silly. He has the fewest power showings out of the team thanks to the age-old problem of "Cutting Attack" guys in comics- you can almost NEVER SHOW THEM HITTING WITH THEIR POWER, because then the heroes would be savagely injured or bleeding. Only against Wolverine or Deadpool would this guy be half-decent, but he's fighting The Avengers. Therefore, he never gets to actually BITE anyone- he chomps down on a statue to prove how tough he is, threatens to decapitate an unconscious Scarlet Witch, and that's it. Sadly, I've never seen him actually fight in anything other than background panels- I have an issue where he looms threateningly, and another where he's part of the Overlords in a big mass-fight (doing some vague stuff with Mockingbird behind the real action), but doesn't really do anything (cuz y'know, if he bit someone... fight's over).

Actually during the first confrontation between the WCA and the full Overlords team, he bite right through Iron Man's armor on panel, removing an entire chunk of the arm guard and causing Tony to bleed a little, only to be knocked out by Wonderman just half a panel after (and for the rest of the issue the penciler forgot to draw the hole in the armor).
"Yes, it's a bloody flying alligator setting fire to my city!"

Sam Vimes (Guards! Guards!)

From a dark corner of my mind (my build's thread)
From another dark corner of my mind (my Deviantart page)

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's Builds: The Pacific Overlords (Kain, Cybertooth)

Postby Jabroniville » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:46 pm

Haha, nice. Gonna boost him up to PL 8.5 and Penetrating 12 for that. I wish I had the rest of the issues around this time- they've been impossible to find.

Woodclaw
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Woodclaw » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:07 am

Jabroniville wrote:Haha, nice. Gonna boost him up to PL 8.5 and Penetrating 12 for that. I wish I had the rest of the issues around this time- they've been impossible to find.

If you don't mind reading them on screen, take a look here
"Yes, it's a bloody flying alligator setting fire to my city!"

Sam Vimes (Guards! Guards!)

From a dark corner of my mind (my build's thread)
From another dark corner of my mind (my Deviantart page)

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:40 pm

IREZUMI
PL 10 (130)

ST 18 (+4) DEX 18 (+4) CON 18 (+4) INT 10 WIS 11 CHA 12 (+1)

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+6)
Bluff 4 (+5)
Concentration 4 (+4)
Gather Information 4 (+4)
Intimidate 5 (+6)
Knowledge (Streetwise) 5 (+5)
Language (Japanese, English) 1
Notice 4 (+4)
Stealth 2 (+5)

Feats:
Attack Focus (Melee), Dodge Focus 2, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Essence Blast) 2, Power Attack, Set-Up

Powers:
"Reflecting Essence" Absorption 8 (Attack to Blast) (Extras: Both Types, Alternate Save: Fortitude, Targetted-Burst) (Flaws: Tattoos, Touch Range) [41]
(Linked To) "Doubled Essence" Blast 4 (Extras: Alternate Save: Fortitude, Targetted-Burst) (Flaws: Touch Range) [12]
AP: "Paralyzing Tattoos" Paralyze 8 (Extras: Ranged, Area-Burst, Selective) (Flaws: Tattoos, Touch Range) (24)

(Flaws: Tattoos- Limited to Two Targets at a Time Whom He's Spent One Full Round Action Studying Earlier)

Saves:
Toughness +4 (+12 Absorption), Fortitude +6, Reflex +5, Will +3

Combat:
Attack +8 (+9 Melee), Damage +3 (+8 Paralyze, +12 Essence Reflection), Defense +6 (+8 Dodge), Initiative +3

Abilities: 27 / Skills: 32--8 / Feats: 8 / Powers: 53 / Saves: 7 / Combat: 28 (130)

-Irezumi is probably my favourite of the Pacific Overlords, by virtue of his totally unique power. His name means "Tattoo" in English (which he helpfully describes to the heroes, pre-asskicking, because villains are often polite and informative that way), and he looks like a Yakuza gangster, with tattoos covering his entire body. This probably doesn't make him any given artist's favourite guy to draw- I mean, drawing ONE guy is bad enough, but then having to learn to draw tigers, snakes, women & dragons all on his body, in the exact same poses and positions on his anatomy? I mean, that scares the CRAP out of me as an artist- there's a reason almost no comic book characters EVER have had tattoos, despite their recurrence in real life. He uses these tattoos to "Capture" the life essences of the people he's fighting- their images suddenly appear on his chest in a cool visual. This allows him to Reflect attacks back at his aggressors, or (in a later issue) slow people down as he steals their essence away. He appeared and died with the rest of the Overlords, but this is the one guy on this team of Morts I wouldn't mind seeing coming back. I'm sure the artist would kill the writer for suggesting it, though.

-Irezumi's power is so unique I have to basically invent a new Flaw for it. It's kind of a combination of other Flaws in lesser forms- I think it's worth a -1 Flaw to have to wait a round to place an enemy's image on his chest, especially if he can only do two at a time (that's the max he was ever shown doing it- and when he turned to Tigra, he replaced the others he had on it already- sounds like a limitation to me). It certainly caused him some pain in battle, as he's focused on U.S. Agent, but then Morning Star hits him. When he does it to M.S., then KLAW hits him.

-Otherwise, his power is a very basic application of the Absorption Power... well, not basic. He can absorb energy & physical attacks in equal measure. The resulting Blast is HIGHLY powerful, essentially hitting the person in their 'essence', which I choose to represent as a Fortitude Save (it knocked it's victims across the room like a Blast, so obviously it's more physically damaging than mentally). It attacked Iron Man & The Wasp at once, meaning it's a Burst Area (still aimed, though). It also DOUBLES the energy damage back at it's victims, which I chose to depict with an added Blast effect (with the same Extras) Linked to the main power, essentially making it +12 damage overall. This makes him PL 10 when he's balanced out. As an Alternate Power, he can slow people down, effectively a Paralyze effect at Range that he can Selectively use on certain people he's used the Tattoos Flaw on. He's a complicated guy with a bunch of Extras and rules, but I think I'm satisfied with a low-pointed PL 10 for him.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's Builds: The Pacific Overlords (Cybertooth, Irezumi)

Postby Jabroniville » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:43 pm

Next up- MUTANT LIBERATION FRONT:

The M.L.F. has gotta go down as one of the most ludicrously overloaded villain teams in comics. See, they were created when Rob Liefeld had just debuted on the New Mutants title in it's waning years (dozens of crappy Louise Simonson issues had basically killed the book off, necessitating a reboot FAST). Before he was notorious and ultra-hated by most comic book fans, Liefeld was a breath of fresh air in a tired and drawn-out 1980s, bringing a totally unique art style (cross-hatching FTW!) and sensibility to things. I can't lie- there was an energy surrounding these books, flawed as they were, that made them much better than the more sensical, but boring, issues that immediately preceded them.

The New Mutants book shifted suddenly to a military-styled force, as their goofy (and HORRIBLE) kiddie costumes vanished, replaced by what Liefeld thought hero designs should be- fatigues, gloves so he didn't have to draw wrist joints, white eyes, giant hair, pouches, etc. When Cable overtook the team, they immediately started fighting his own personal villains- Liefeld was such a hit on this book that they essentially threw EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER DESIGN in his head out there, producing the Mutant Liberation Front. See, most supervillain teams (even in Mutant books) are six or seven guys strong, reasonably balanced against the superhero force. The MLF (every time I type that now, I want to add an "I" in there) by contrast SEEMED like that at first, with small groups of three or four taking part in most stories... but then each group was different. And there were MORE guys hanging out in the background. Essentially, Liefeld just dumped out every concept he could think of (something he would maintain with Weapon: P.R.I.M.E., Youngblood, Brigade, et al in the years to come).

He even over-used the same design principles on many characters! Wildside was basically a recoloured Feral, who was a recoloured Wolfsbane! Wildside and Reaper BOTH had funny eyepatch thingies (y'know, those circles around their eyes) for no apparent reason- and Deadpool and Domino, two OTHER Liefeld characters introduced at THE EXACT SAME TIME in the comics ALSO possessed them! Four freaking guys with the same funky eyepatches? Add to that the random concepts (a four-armed guy, a fat sumo, a Japanese guy in generic tights with a "Rising Sun" mask), and you had a massive 11-strong team of varying characters, organized into random mission groups.

They fought the New Mutants a couple times in their own run, until they shifted in X-Force with issue #100. The first X-Force issue featured a four-man MILF... dammit, MLF squad. But then they utterly vanished while Big Bad Team Leader Stryfe overtook things (his face looked exactly like Cable's, becoming a big thing) on his own. This culminated with The X-Cutioner's Song, a major cross-over 12-parter that was my very first as a young comic book fan. The storyline centered entirely around Stryfe, Cable, Cyclops & Jean Grey, while Professor X was gunned down and put near-death. It's of questionable quality at times (Stryfe just goes ON AND ON with faux-philosophical stuff like he's an anime character or something), but I loved the crap out of it as a kid, and it's got TONS of fights in it. TONS.

The MLF hilariously barely featured. Stryfe was the Big Bad, but the entirety of the MLF appearances consisted of Reaper & Forearm talking once, and then the ENTIRE TEAM getting wiped out in two issues. They lost HARD- a huge squad of X-Factor, Gold Strike Force, Blue Strike Force and Cannonball/Boomer from X-Force came into their base and kicked the entire team's asses, only losing a few members to KOs. That was the very end of the game for almost the entire team.

A year or so later, four of the most iconic and recognizable members (Forearm, Reaper, Wildside & Tempo) were sprung from jail by a new villain named Reignfire, and they did their own storyline. That was pretty much it for the MLF except for random apperances by random members. That's what happens when you make a villain team that's just entirely too big for it's own good.

Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Man Called True
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Man Called True » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:30 am

Deadpool never had an eyepatch. I should know, I suffered through his introduction issue when I bought the first two collections.
I've forgotten more than some people will ever know... Of course, there's my problem...

My Character Stumblings

Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kreuzritter » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:16 am

he means those dark circlular shapes around the eye things
Kreuz Control Promotions: over 2800 builds served, and counting...
Crinoverse: Contributions

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:53 pm

"Back in my younger days, during a rare bout of depression, I would occasionally wonder if there was a mutant power any DUMBER than just having wings and flapping around. Thanks for providing it, Forearm." (Archangel)

FOREARM (Michael McCain)
Role in Team: Powerhouse, Jobber to Strong Guys
PL 9 (110)

ST 30 (+10) DEX 14 (+2) CON 24 (+7) INT 10 WIS 12 (+1) CHA 13 (+1)

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+4)
Computers 3 (+3)
Diplomacy 2 (+3)
Intimidate 5 (+6)
Knowledge (Streetwise) 4 (+4)
Notice 2 (+3)
Sense Motive 2 (+3)
Stealth 4 (+6)

Feats:
All-Out Attack, Amidexterity, Attack Focus (Melee) 4, Chokehold, Crushing Pin, Dodge Focus 3, Endurance, Improved Grab, Improved Grapple, Improved Pin, Power Attack, Reversal (Grapple), Startle, Twin Weapon Proficiency (Unarmed)

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Four Arms, Super-Strength"
Super-Strength 5 (heavy load: 24 tons) (Feats: Groundstrike) [11]
Additional Limbs 2 (Four Arms) [2]
Protection 3 [3]

Saves:
Toughness +10, Fortitude +9, Reflex +4, Will +4

Combat:
Attack +4 (+8 Melee), Damage +10, Defense +5 (+8 Dodge), Initiative +2

Abilities: 43 / Skills: 24--6 / Feats: 19 / Powers: 16 / Saves: 7 / Combat: 18 (110)

-Starting off the newly updated MLF builds is Forearm, their resident powerhouse. He's easily one of the most recognizable members, thanks to a fairly distinctive appearance and goofy-ass name (early character designs involved a lame mask that ended up on Kamikaze), so he's shown up in virtually every incarnation. He had the crap luck to be the Team Powerhouse when Liefeld & Nicieza were working hard to make a newly powered-up James Proudstar a Juggernaut-fighting badass, so Forearm got KO'd a lot. One issue, he's grappling Cable from behind and Warpath just punches him across the room. The next time we see him, he gets hit by Boomer's Time Bombs, then Psylocke just kicks him in the head. The third time, Warpath basically demolishes him off-panel, joking that he was toying with him, then "Whoops. I hit the boy too hard." as he busts him through a wall. Not a lot of respect, he got.

-He was believed killed in a Super-Fighter Tournament in a Mr. X-related Wolverine storyline (his neck was snapped by Anaconda), but the next writer forgot about it and there he was, hopping around with the MLF. He got a teensy bit of character development in later years, being seen as the most level-headed, non-crazy MLF member, but it never really got dealt with. He's currently on the De-Powered List following M-Day. It's entirely possible we've seen the last of him, but the next guy who needs a legion of scrubs to get beaten up, we could very well spot this four-armed mook again.

-Forearm is among the more powerful members of his team, which really isn't saying much. He's a limited PL 9, hitting his caps offensively and defensively, but he's really not that great. Most of his team has really low Saves across the board, and is fairly limited to one avenue of attack. He's a standard Brick in many ways, but with some added perks that having four arms gets you- he's a MONSTER to grapple with, despite being 'low end' on the Powerhouse scale with only Strength 30 (he's stronger than Cable, less so than Class 80-ish Warpath), and he's got considerable grappling skills.

-His Toughness is a little tricky to figure out- he obviously hangs in the Powerhouse class, but less so than Warpath-type Class 80 beings. He took a slash from Archangel and only bled painfully, as opposed to being decapitated or something. Anaconda broke his spine at the END of a fight, which could happen to a lot of guys. But PSYLOCKE once KO'd him after a Boomer Time Bomb, and she's like ST 14 or something. So I went with Toughness 10 as a mini-Powerhouse, which allows him to be weakened by the Blast to be finished off by a kick.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's Builds: Cybertooth, Irezumi, M.L.F. (Forearm)

Postby Horsenhero » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:17 pm

Say what you will about the MLF (really? Not one hero made a barely concealed off-color comment about that?), at least the members had reasonably well-defined powers, even if they were kind of sucky.

If you take a look at the Youngblood series or other work Liefeld has done, many characters main powers seem to be; hanging around in the back ground, posing ridiculously and generating a low-level fogbank around their legs.

Man Called True
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Man Called True » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:32 pm

Well, back in the '90s, MILF wasn't as recognized a term as it is now.

The sad thing about Forearm is that the picture Jab's using actually makes him look kind of cool. But that name and his choice of friends have forever tagged him as jobber material.

I find it a little funny that the Scarlet Witch's poor choice of words can apparently remove extra body parts as well as the other mutations out there... Thanks a lot for tearing open those plot holes, Joey Q.
I've forgotten more than some people will ever know... Of course, there's my problem...

My Character Stumblings

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:56 pm

I didn't realize metal leotards came in D-cup.

STROBE
Role in Team: Blaster
PL 10 (108)

ST 12 (+1) DEX 14 (+2) CON 14 (+2) INT 11 WIS 11 CHA 14 (+2)

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+4)
Bluff 2 (+3)
Intimidate 2 (+3)
Notice 2 (+2)
Sense Motive 2 (+2)
Stealth 2 (+4)

Feats:
All-Out Attack, Dodge Focus 2, Equipment (Metal Suit- Protection +1), Improved Critical (Aura), Power Attack

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Super-heated Light Emission"
Heat Aura 9 (Feats: Selective) [40] Linked to Force Field 6 (Flaws: Distracting) [3]
AP: Heat Blast 8 (16)
AP: "Melt" Drain Toughness 5 (Extras: Ranged) (10)
AP: Dazzle Visuals 10 (Feats: Slow Fade 3) (23)

Saves:
Toughness +2 (+3 Suit, +8 Force Field), Fortitude +4, Reflex +5, Will +3

Combat:
Attack +8, Damage +1 (+8 Blast, +9 Aura, +10 Dazzle), Defense +6 (+8 Dodge), Initiative +2

Abilities: 20 / Skills: 12--3 / Feats: 6 / Powers: 43 / Saves: 8 / Combat: 28 (108)

-Strobe got a fair bit of play in the early MLF days in "New Mutants", being one of the most outspoken and ready members of the squad. She melted some stuff (including Cable's arm- curiously Cable got his ass BEAT in his debut as a character, despite his huge push), melted some bullets with her Aura, and convinced Rusty & Skids to join the MLF for mutants' rights. Despite all this, she utterly vanished in the X-Force years, only popping up in the X-Cutioner's Song-based swan song for the early team. The one where every MLF member pops up for two seconds to get their heat beaten in by a more established character. Strobe makes a witty remark when Rogue insists that they're "Cleaning up" the MLF- "Then how d'you feel about a concentrated light blast?", then she drops Rogue like a sack of potatoes. Immediately thereafter, Polaris runs in and magnetically harnesses her in her own metal swimsuit, ending her threat completely. She was never seen since, and is currently depowered.

-Strobe is a bit of a funny one- I had to edit out Wikipedia saying she could fly (She couldn't), but she's got a mix of Dazzles, Auras, Blasts, Drain Toughness, and a Force Field strong enough to 'melt' bullets as they hit her. This makes her rather effective, but mostly between PL 8 and 9 on offense, except for that highly-powerful Dazzle she's got. It's one-time use (literally the only time ever) KOs ROGUE (who wasn't in her Claremont glory-years of Mary Sueishness but still powerful), and blinded her for a multi-issue arc, mostly to get her out of the way during the rest of the huge cross-over, but also to create a story where Gambit had to care for her. She's one of the more variable MLF members because of her various APs, but since she can only use one at a time, she often has to turn the Linked Aura/Field off, meaning people can get close to her. Still, Dazzle is under-rated- it can take out a heavy-hitter in one burst, making the rest of the fight much easier, especially when you've got a ton of guys backing you up.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jabroniville » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:59 pm

Best pic I could find, seriously. The guy was NOT in a lot of issues.

SUMO
Role in Team: Powerhouse, Expendable Mort
PL 8 (100)

ST 28 (+9) DEX 13 (+1) CON 20 (+5) INT 10 WIS 10 CHA 10

Skills:
Gather Information 4 (+4)
Intimidate 5 (+5, +9 Size)
Knowledge (Streetwise) 2 (+2)
Notice 3 (+3)
Sense Motive 2 (+2)

Feats:
All-Out Attack, Attack Focus (Melee) 3, Dodge Focus 2, Fast Overrun, Improved Critical (Slam), Improved Grab, Improved Overrun, Power Attack, Withstand Damage

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Mass-Shifting"
Growth 4 (Feats: Innate) (Flaws: Permanent) [9]
Super-Strength 3 (heavy load: 10 tons) [6]
Protection 4 (Extras: Impervious) [8]
Immovable 4 [4]
Leaping 4 [4]
Immunity 5 (Falling Damage) [5]

Saves:
Toughness +9, Fortitude +6, Reflex +4, Will +3

Combat:
Attack +5 (+7 Melee, +7 Size), Damage +9, Defense +6 (+8 Dodge, +7 Size), Initiative +1

Abilities: 19 / Skills: 16--4 / Feats: 12 / Powers: 36 / Saves: 7 / Combat: 22 (100)

-Ah, Sumo. Liefeld was clearly just throwing whatever stupid idea he had at the page, here. A big fat guy who pretty much fit the name perfectly, he had some "Mass Shifting" powers that led him to stomp and sit on people, but couldn't take a hit as well as he could dish 'em out. He was so silly that he actually got killed off in a "Cable" Limited Series, being one-shotted by Nate as the MLF showed up. They immediately bailed, leaving their silliest member's corpse lying on the ground. And here's the funny thing: he was NEVER MENTIONED AGAIN. Nobody ever went "Hey, remember that Sumo guy? Sucks that he died, eh?" or nothin'- just dead and gone. Silly character.

-Sumo's a classic PL 8 scrub villain- an under-pointed powerhouse who's got some pretty bad accuracy, but a little bit of quickness. He's a bit like a Mini-Blob in many ways, possessing light Immovability, Protection, Immunity to Falling Damage, and a few strength-based tricks and feats, but he's fairly light on his feet and hits Slam attacks pretty well. Didn't save him against Cable (his Fort & Toughness are fairly low for a powerhouse, and he was caught flat-footed by a sneak attack), but you can't win 'em all. Not a bad guy in a group, like most of the MLF.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Re: Jab's Builds: Irezumi, M.L.F. (Forearm, Strobe, Sumo)

Postby Thorpacolypse » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:34 pm

Glad to see you back working on your true loves, Jab...the jobbers we all know and love to see beat down.

I still giggle at the name of the MLF, albiet knowing that the MILF phrase didn't get popular until it's usage in American Pie by the dude in that plays Harold in the Harold and Kumar movies, which was well after their heyday. :wink:
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Jab's Builds: Irezumi, M.L.F. (Forearm, Strobe, Sumo)

Postby Jabroniville » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:03 am

WILDSIDE (Richard Gill)
Role in Team: Psychopath, Scrapper
PL 8 (115)

ST 20 (+5) DEX 20 (+5) CON 20 (+5) INT 10 WIS 10 CHA 9 (-1)

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+8)
Bluff 2 (+1)
Climb 4 (+8)
Escape Artist 1 (+6)
Intimidate 7 (+6)
Knowledge (Streetwise) 4 (+4)
Notice 5 (+5)
Search 4 (+4)
Stealth 2 (+7)
Survival 4 (+4)

Feats:
All-Out Attack, Attack Focus (Melee) 4, Chokehold, Distract (Intimidate), Defensive Roll, Dodge Focus 3, Endurance, Fast Overrun, Improved Critical (Claws), Improved Grab, Power Attack, Rage, Startle

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Perception-Warping"
Stun 8 (Feats: Reversible) (Extras: Alternate Save- Will +0, Ranged) [25]
AP: Invisibility (Extras: Affects Others, Area-Burst) (Flaws: Phantasms- Limited to Non-Machines)

"Claws" Strike +2 (Feats: Mighty, Split Attack) [4]
Leaping 1 [1]

Saves:
Toughness +5 (+6 D.Roll), Fortitude +6, Reflex +7, Will +3

Combat:
Attack +5 (+9 Melee), Damage +5 (+7 Claws), Defense +7 (+10 Dodge), Initiative +5

Complications:
Reputation (Completely Bonkers)
Obsession (Causing Pain)

Abilities: 29 / Skills: 36--9 / Feats: 18 / Powers: 29 / Saves: 6 / Combat: 24 (115)

-Wildside is bizarre because he seems to be a colour-swap of Rob Liefeld's version of Wolfsbane (who was also the template for later X-Force member Feral). He's got the big triangle-shaped frizzy anti-grav haircut, the claws, the same skinny physique, etc. He's even a violent, murdering psychopath like Feral, but more in the Bullseye "enjoys murder and causing pain" sense than Feral's defensive "get them before they get you" mentality- pretty much a total 1990s-style villain. Constantly chatting, mouthing off, and trying to hurt people, Wildside was distinctive enough to take part in pretty much every MLF incarnation, though his teammates eventually started getting sick of him. He finally got mind-wiped by Cable and depowered after M-Day, like most of his team.

-Even more 90s: He's one of those guys whose mutant powers are essentially an afterthought to being a melee fighter. Like Cable (minor TK powers, mostly a Gun Guy and Cyborg), Shatterstar (Tiring Energy Blast via Swords, mostly a Sword Guy), Domino (Luck Powers, mainly a Gun Girl)- this happened a LOT with Liefeld characters, though other 90s writers were as guilty of it. In their rush to create newer and more bad-ass martial artists & Punisher-types, creators started glossing over the very thing that made most mutants... MUTANTS. So Wildside here was a Claw Guy like Feral, Wolverine, etc., but also had a major mutant power- he could warp the perceptions of others' reality, leaving them stunned and out of the fight. He only ever did it a couple times (to Siryn to hold her down, to some cyborg guy), and in his first appearance he made his team invisible to a large group of soldiers, but that aspect of his powers was never seen again. It's unsure how his claws and teeth came about- maybe he's one of the first incarnations of Secondary Mutations (a silly retcon to explain White Queen being a Powerhouse- but handy to figure out guys like Nightcrawler and his dozens of powers)?

-Wildside is a PL 8 who ALMOST makes the full 120 points, but falls just a bit short. Like most of the MLF, he's a scrub, designed to go a few rounds with the more powerful X-Force or other X-Characters, but ultimately won't drop them. Feral for example EASILY defeated him in their first battle (she just grabbed him by the mouth and snapped his jaw), and she's a PL 9 at-best, being one of the lowest-calibre members of X-Force. Shatterstar later one-punched him. Despite that, he's proved dangerous a few times, having a standard Claw Guy/Scrapper build that makes him quick and able to modify a few caps (he HAS taken out Gambit with a straight-on attack one time- giving him a concussion for the duration of The X-Cutioner's Song- but then, Gambit's got pretty low toughness compared to most male X-Men), and his Perception Warping power has held down Siryn before. I chose to mark that up (it's usually called "Reality Warping" but it obviously only affects others' perceptions of it- it's stated as much) as a Mental Stun because of how it slows and dazes people, with an AP for his one-time "Invisibilty" trick.

Return to “Roll Call”